Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I just don't get it--when I was a kid, our parents would get us sparklers but nothing loud and ongoing like what I hear

Kid from the 70s and we did the same. I loved waving the sparklers whenever we would get together with other families for the holiday.

While I find it annoying that there are fireworks before, during, and after this holiday, I do like fireworks. Sue me. I can't put it into words. But I can also understand and appreciate why many don't care for them.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Kid from the 70s and we did the same. I loved waving the sparklers whenever we would get together with other families for the holiday.

While I find it annoying that there are fireworks before, during, and after this holiday, I do like fireworks. Sue me. I can't put it into words. But I can also understand and appreciate why many don't care for them.

I appreciate and enjoy professional fireworks spectacles.  It's the idiot neighbors with their random fireworks that bother me. 

• Love 14

So, last year it was quieter due to the pandemic? Crap. I thought it was due to whichever jerk in my 'hood, who enjoyed wrecking the peace & tranquility, moved away. It's annoying to me, but I'm really angry on behalf of the vets with PTSD, + the poor dogs who don't know it's fireworks. 

• Love 1

There is a distinct difference between the "safe and sane" fireworks from the 70s and 80s and the nonsense being fired off these days. This thread reminded me to ask my dad to pick up a box of the little firework snake thingies. I loved tossing them into the BBQ and watching them grow.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

ask my dad to pick up a box of the little firework snake thingies.

Quoting this because I thought I was the only who used the word "thingies"! 😅😜 My other word is "doohickie".

And also "thingamabobs".

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Really? They were worse than ever here last year; I figured people were blowing stuff up more than ever because they were so stir crazy at that point.

Same here; we had fireworks for months last year.  That was true in many areas across the country, because I remember reading news coverage about it (and I remember the whack-ass conspiracy theories, but those I've tried to forget).

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Speaking of acronyms, I've seen the use of "LGBTNBGNC2SQQIPAA" -- lesbian gay bi transgender, non-binary, non-gender conforming, two spirit, queer, questioning, intersex, pansexual, asexual, and agender. I have a hard time remembering this one.

Hence why I use simply LGBT+. With so many letters added (understandably), there would always be something missing, so the + is inevitable anyway. And I dislike using "queer" as an umbrella term. If someone wants to identify that way, fine, but don't force it on people who may still view it negatively.

And a new pet peeve, since PTSD was mentioned: I don't like it when people act as if PTSD is an issue affecting veterans exclusively. It affects many people, and is much too often caused by those f***ing veterans, so forgive me if I have much more sympathy for all the other people suffering from it and almost none left for veterans, especially those who volunteered and weren't forcibly conscripted.

Edited by JustHereForFood
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

I stood in the end of my driveway last year on the 4th and I swear I saw what had to have been close to $50,000 (if not not, not sure how much the big stuff costs) worth of fireworks being shot off.  And I live in a very much lower middle-class area.  All I could think was that I wished I had that much “extra” money to burn.

This year they are saying there is a fireworks shortage.  The fireworks store owner the news dude interviewed said that about 40% of what he had ordered was still sitting in port in China.  There are fewer fireworks tents in parking lots this year.

We called the little snake-y things “glow worms”.  Loved those.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

This year they are saying there is a fireworks shortage.  The fireworks store owner the news dude interviewed said that about 40% of what he had ordered was still sitting in port in China.  There are fewer fireworks tents in parking lots this year.

Good!

• Love 10

Ugh - it’s about 100 degrees here and we just lost power. A transformer at the end of my block blew. The fire truck and police were here quickly, and our utility company showed up about 20 minutes later. They are saying it will be a couple of hours. And now it is thundering. I hate summer.

(edited)
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Hence why I use simply LGBT+. With so many letters added (understandably), there would always be something missing, so the + is inevitable anyway. And I dislike using "queer" as an umbrella term. If someone wants to identify that way, fine, but don't force it on people who may still view it negatively.

And a new pet peeve, since PTSD was mentioned: I don't like it when people act as if PTSD is an issue affecting veterans exclusively. It affects many people, and is much too often caused by those f***ing veterans, so forgive me if I have much more sympathy for all the other people suffering from it and almost none left for veterans, especially those who volunteered and weren't forcibly conscripted.

Ironically enough, I got PTSD from being raped by an Army veteran when I was fifteen. He was a neighbor. It can happen to anyone who goes through something traumatic.

Edited by peacheslatour

I'm the one that mentioned veterans with PTSD. It's ironic and oh so American that Americans celebrate a our freedom by exploding things in the sky with no regard with how it impacts those who experienced the horrors of explosions during war. This does not take away or minimize others PTSD. It's not a contest.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Ironically enough, I got PTSD from being raped by an Army veteran when I was fifteen. He was a neighbor. It can happen to anyone who goes through something traumatic.

Oh my God, that is so horrible. I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Oh my God, that is so horrible. I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

Thank you. It's just so weird to hear that only military personnel get PTSD. I know our friend upthread wasn't saying anything like that but it just reminded me,

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
(edited)

@peacheslatour, I'm so sorry.

My peeve is how often people toss around mental health diagnoses, especially PTSD. (I don't mean when it's clearly meant to be funny, like "I still have PTSD from that awful haircut!") I mean when people assume that every veteran, or every person who has lived through a trauma has PTSD. The reality is, we don't know why it is sometimes triggered. Two people can go through the same experience, and one will suffer from PTSD while the other is relatively unscathed. Vets will often say that they saw lots of awful things, but some seemingly innocuous event is driving their PTSD years later. 

Basically, I feel like it diminishes the reality of how life-limiting these conditions can be. It's not just having bad days. For example, a FB friend was recently looking to get a dog for her husband, "because of his PTSD from Iraq". Now, there are charities who gift service dogs to vets for this reason, but the dogs are specially trained and the vets have official diagnoses and treatment plans. I don't know, it just rubbed me the wrong way. Like, there are people out there who are struggling to get their necessary service dog admitted into places, and you're using it as an excuse to get your husband a puppy for his birthday. 

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

@peacheslatour, I'm so sorry.

My peeve is how often people toss around mental health diagnoses, especially PTSD. (I don't mean when it's clearly meant to be funny, like "I still have PTSD from that awful haircut!") I mean when people assume that every veteran, or every person who has lived through a trauma has PTSD. The reality is, we don't know why it is sometimes triggered. Two people can go through the same experience, and one will suffer from PTSD while the other is relatively unscathed. Vets will often say that they saw lots of awful things, but some seemingly innocuous event is driving their PTSD years later. 

Basically, I feel like it diminishes the reality of how life-limiting these conditions can be. It's not just having bad days. For example, a FB friend was recently looking to get a dog for her husband, "because of his PTSD from Iraq". Now, there are charities who gift service dogs to vets for this reason, but the dogs are specially trained and the vets have official diagnoses and treatment plans. I don't know, it just rubbed me the wrong way. Like, there are people out there who are struggling to get their necessary service dog admitted into places, and you're using it as an excuse to get your husband a puppy for his birthday. 

Oh, that would rub me the wrong way too. 

• Love 1
On 6/28/2021 at 9:18 AM, Blergh said:

Thanks for the explanation but, as long as we've brought up grammar. Technically, this new acronym (that I'm not sure how much or IF it will still be used in another ten years) features another grammatic pet peeve: Shouldn't be spelt 'BIPoC' since the 'o' is the first letter comprising the word 'of' and 'of' itself is an article ? Articles are NOT supposed to be capitalized. Just wondering.

I don’t think there is a hard and fast rule about this in terms of “supposed to”; it’s common to LC, but I think it’s possibly just a style choice. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, oh my goodness, I am so sorry to learn this. How awful.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:
On 6/28/2021 at 9:18 AM, Blergh said:

another grammatic pet peeve: Shouldn't be spelt 'BIPoC' since the 'o' is the first letter comprising the word 'of' and 'of' itself is an article ? Articles are NOT supposed to be capitalized. Just wondering.

I don’t think there is a hard and fast rule about this in terms of “supposed to”; it’s common to LC, but I think it’s possibly just a style choice. 

Generally 2 or 3 letter words that are neither nouns nor verbs are not capitalized in titles. However, if the article or preposition or conjunction is represented in an acronym, it is often capitalized,   
like:   
   DPOA
for:   
   Durable Power of Attorney

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

That’s mainly the way I handle acronyms (though “DPOE” is an initialism, I assume—pronounced D-P-O-E as opposed to “depot”?). My job (copy editor in medical/pharma) is CRAMMED with them (acronyms and initialisms—seriously, I feel like no one in this field ever says entire words!) and there’s no solid across-the-board rule encompassing all of them, which is ANNOYING. And it brings up a peeve!

We typically have to make sure that acronyms/abbreviations/initialisms are spelled out in a list at the bottom of the first page (or slide) in which they appear. When copywriters add or delete copy, they almost never consider this, and then an editor ends up having to recheck and likely rearrange these lists. It’s no big deal for something that’s only a few pages, but these jobs rarely are.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I sure hope so! I am terrified with how dry everything is fireworks will set off fires!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I despise firecrackers and always have.  I make a distinction between them and fireworks with pretty displays.  I do love sparklers and various small things that may make a small noise but mostly do something like spin.  I don't understand why anyone gets pleasure from something exploding - bangbangbang - boomboomboom!  Why?

They are legal here July 2nd through the 4th, but they've already started and the law is not enforced.  So fuck people with PTSD, or noise sensitivity, domestic and wild animals and the environment.  On the 4th, the air is choking with smoke and the streets are filled with litter.

What exactly does this celebrate?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

My Pet Peeve right now is a cheap tipper. Went to an upscale restaurant last night. The bill was about $375. He handed me the receipt and I just stuck it in my purse. When I got home I looked at it (debating if he would want it or just toss it away). To my shock I saw that he only tipped $30. I called the restaurant, gave them my credit card, and arranged for a more suitable tip to be given to the hardworking young lady who gave us wonderful service. This person is a multimillionaire so the amount would not have broken his bank. Was I wrong? 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

My Pet Peeve right now is a cheap tipper. Went to an upscale restaurant last night. The bill was about $375. He handed me the receipt and I just stuck it in my purse. When I got home I looked at it (debating if he would want it or just toss it away). To my shock I saw that he only tipped $30. I called the restaurant, gave them my credit card, and arranged for a more suitable tip to be given to the hardworking young lady who gave us wonderful service. This person is a multimillionaire so the amount would not have broken his bank. Was I wrong? 

You were not wrong, that measly tip was shameful. I would have tipped $100 on that amount. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

You were not wrong, that measly tip was shameful. I would have tipped $100 on that amount. 

I was embarrassed even though my chances of going there again are slim. The food wasn’t that good. The potatoes au gratin were just sliced potatoes, drowned in butter with some cheddar cheese melted on top. Did I mention this place is upscale (😂)? Still the server had no control over the food and deserved a decent tip. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was embarrassed even though my chances of going there again are slim. The food wasn’t that good. The potatoes au gratin were just sliced potatoes, drowned in butter with some cheddar cheese melted on top. Did I mention this place is upscale (😂)? Still the server had no control over the food and deserved a decent tip. 

Can you imagine working your ass off for minimum wage, depending entirely on the whims of the general public whether you can pay your rent and get your kids to the doctor? You did an awesome, thoughtful thing.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

You are absolutely not wrong. Cheap tipping is a pet peeve of mine. The other is the "conscientious non-tippers" who refuse to tip because it's evil. Yes it is but by refusing to tip you're only hurting the overworked waiter.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

You are absolutely not wrong. Cheap tipping is a pet peeve of mine. The other is the "conscientious non-tippers" who refuse to tip because it's evil. Yes it is but by refusing to tip you're only hurting the overworked waiter.

The worst to me are the people who give out religious tracts as a tip. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Nobody really needs to worry about this because I don't go to upscale places where the prices are that high. But, to play devil's advocate, assuming you were there for an hour or less, he paid $30 an hour.  That's a lot more than I make.  I generally tip $20 if the bill is $20 or $100.  I don't think I've ever had $100 bill or more, but I would still probably just tip $20 unless I was there more than an hour.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I don't think I've ever had $100 bill or more, but I would still probably just tip $20 unless I was there more than an hour.

Unless my math is wrong (wouldn't surprise me) tipping $20 on a bill of a $100 is 20% which IMO is a generous tip.  Tipping $30 on a bill of $375 is less than 10% which is the kind of tip most people leave who are trying to make a point - which is usually that they weren't happy with the service.

• Love 13
(edited)

Most servers don't keep 100% of their tips. They have to tip out the bussers, the bar staff and the cooks a certain percentage all while being taxed on the full amount. In many states also make a much lower wage than minimum wage.

It's ridiculous that we have built a society where an entire class of workers depend on the generosity of the people they are serving, or that people working in a more expensive restaurant make more than someone working at a casual sit down establishment while exerting a similar amount of busting their ass effort, but that is the culture we have and if you go out to eat you agree to play by that societal expectation of tipping on at least 18% of the pre-tax bill.

My parents used to be terrible tippers. I finally got through to them that if they can't afford the additional couple of bucks to bring it up to 20% they shouldn't be going out to eat.  If the service is bad enough that you don't want to tip you talk with a manager and tip anyway. It could all be beyond the servers control.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13
(edited)
38 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It could all be beyond the servers control.

It almost always is! Anyway unless the server is flat out rude or incompetent I wouldn't even consider undertipping - and even then I'd probably still leave 15% which is the minimum one should tip IMO.

I was eating out with a group a few years ago and the server forgot to bring someone a glass of wine.  Which she immediately rectified when this was brought to her attention.  Anyway another person at the table paid the bill on her credit card (we all repaid her - this was not her treat) and as we were leaving she told us she'd tipped 10% because of the forgotten glasss of wine!  Two of us went back a few minutes later and made sure to add to the tip.  It was like the woman who paid the bill was looking for an excuse to undertip.  I hate that.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

It almost always is! Anyway unless the server is flat out rude or incompetent I wouldn't even consider undertipping - and even then I'd probably still leave 15% which is the minimum one should tip IMO.

I was eating out with a group a few years ago and the server forgot to bring someone a glass of wine.  Which she immediately rectified when this was brought to her attention.  Anyway another person at the table paid the bill on her credit card (we all repaid her - this was not her treat) and as we were leaving she told us she'd tipped 10% because of the forgotten glasss of wine!  Two of us went back a few minutes later and made sure to add to the tip.  It was like the woman who paid the bill was looking for an excuse to undertip.  I hate that.

The last time I was home we ordered a giant platter of food from one my favorite restaurants. It was a huge platter with multiple sides and easily served the 5 of us, plus leftovers for $100 (great deal). We found out the friend who ordered it didn't tip at all! She said she never tips on take out because they aren't serving her, they are just handing her the food. Um. No. They are making sure all of the sides that came with this giant platter were included, added the cutlery and packaged it up so it could be transported home. If you don't want to tip 20% on a take out order, fine, but $0 is unacceptable. They are still working for servers wages on this order. My other friend went back the next day and left $20.

Another time a different friend and I went out for dinner, had way too many beers and the next morning my friend looked at the receipt and was all OMG I think I forgot to tip. We went back, sure enough, she didn't even sign the receipt. Oops. Left an extra tip for the undue stress our drunk asses caused that server and apologized profusely.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

or that people working in a more expensive restaurant make more than someone working at a casual sit down establishment while exerting a similar amount of busting their ass effort, 

See, that was my point with the flat $20 tip.  I don't tip based on percentage.  I pay by the hour.

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

It was like the woman who paid the bill was looking for an excuse to undertip.  I hate that.

I hate that also.  I was in another online discussion a few years ago and someone was giving lists of reasons they don't tip.  Some were reasonable, i.e the server is rude (depending on the level of rudeness. If a server says FU to me for no apparent reason, I probably wouldn't tip.  Some were, in my mind, ridiculous.  Not tipping because the server asks if you need change while scooping up the payment folder.  Not giving the right change.  I'm not phrasing that correctly because I don't mean that the change was supposed to $15 and they gave you back $10. I mean the change was $15 and they gave back a $10 and a $5 instead of 2 5s and 5 1s.  Then there were a couple of grey area ones, such as having to ask for a refill (I wouldn't dock for that as I don't expect a server to be hovering by my table the entire time, but I guess I can see it).  

• Love 2

I hate this whole tipping business. So many people are relying on this. Food deliverers, cab drivers, Uber drivers, hair stylists, waiters, parking valets, there probably are numerous other ones forgetting. I'm only waiting for the day when I have to tip the Amazon delivery person because they can't survive on their wages. If they have to pay taxes on tips anyway, what's the difference? Meanwhile multibillionaires barely pay any taxes.

Do people really think everything would become unaffordable if these jobs were paid a livable wage?

• Love 10

I've only ever not tipped once, and that was because the service truly was abysmal --for my table, and my table only.  I watched the server (and the owner/manager!) visit and chat with people at all the other tables except mine.  I couldn't even get my water glass refilled.  I did not leave a tip, but I did leave a note explaining why not.  I usually tip at least 20%, but I just couldn't do it that day.

I do hate the tipping system we have in the US, but if you're going to rely on tips, you should do your job well. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I hate this whole tipping business. So many people are relying on this. Food deliverers, cab drivers, Uber drivers, hair stylists, waiters, parking valets, there probably are numerous other ones forgetting. I'm only waiting for the day when I have to tip the Amazon delivery person because they can't survive on their wages. If they have to pay taxes on tips anyway, what's the difference? Meanwhile multibillionaires barely pay any taxes.

Do people really think everything would become unaffordable if these jobs were paid a livable wage?

Actually my sister was a waitress. She did NOT want the tipping model to stop. She made more waitressing part time than I made working in an office full-time and she only paid taxes on a small percentage of that.  I know that's only one person and there are servers out there that would rather get a higher hourly wage, but def not all of them.

Just now, Browncoat said:

I've only ever not tipped once, and that was because the service truly was abysmal --for my table, and my table only.  I watched the server (and the owner/manager!) visit and chat with people at all the other tables except mine.  I couldn't even get my water glass refilled.  I did not leave a tip, but I did leave a note explaining why not.  I usually tip at least 20%, but I just couldn't do it that day.

I do hate the tipping system we have in the US, but if you're going to rely on tips, you should do your job well. 

I pretty much had the exact same thing happen.  Only time I didn't leave a tip, too.  Oddly enough, 100 years ago back in college, a group of us went to Pizza Hut(?).  One of us (not me) was a waitress and she didn't want to leave a tip because she said our server was being rude.  I hadn't noticed any rudeness, so I left the whole tip on the sly.  Not worth getting in an argument over, but I wasn't going to stiff someone for no reason that I could see.

• Love 5
Just now, peacheslatour said:

I always tip. If the service is exceptional I over tip. I think every single person should have to work in a service job for at least a month. Too many entitled assholes look at service people as less than human.

I agree, but I have known people who have worked in the service industry and they're just as terrible.  Which I find odd.  I never worked a tipped job (OK, I did for a week, but I sucked so bad they moved me to prep), but I did work fast food for 7 years.  And, yeah, people act like they are soooo much better than you, when they probably couldn't hack it for a day.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I agree, but I have known people who have worked in the service industry and they're just as terrible.  Which I find odd. 

I've had a similar experience.  One friend in particular helped pay her way through university working as a server and you'd think that would make her more sympathetic to the waitstaff but it hasn't worked out that way.  I've stopped eating out with her because she's so picky, fussy and an all round pain in the butt to everyone working at these establishments that it's just embarassing as hell to be out with her.  Not sure what her issue is but it's not a nice reflection on her no matter what the reasoning.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Too many entitled assholes look at service people as less than human.

Agreed, and I'm always polite to my servers.  I was even polite to the one who ignored me, on the rare occasion I got her attention.  But when I feel like I'm being pointedly and purposely ignored?  Sorry, no tip.  Incidentally, that restaurant didn't stay in business much longer, and the reviews all cited poor and rude service!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Incidentally, that restaurant didn't stay in business much longer, and the reviews all cited poor and rude service!

I worked in a variety of service fields for years and I'm still in a customer facing role. But decades ago I was supposed to be a "server" & prep at a mom & pop pizza joint. My very first day, having never done any real serving before, I was told to bring a giant tray of food to a table and I had to carry it like a server does. Spoiler alert: I tipped the tray and spilled everything. The owner berated me in front of everyone. Thankfully the people were super nice about it before he started yelling and left me a giant tip after. He tried to take it from me as compensation for the food I ruined. I quit after a couple weeks (had to find a new job). That place went out of business in less than 2 years.

37 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I worked in a variety of service fields for years and I'm still in a customer facing role. But decades ago I was supposed to be a "server" & prep at a mom & pop pizza joint. My very first day, having never done any real serving before, I was told to bring a giant tray of food to a table and I had to carry it like a server does. Spoiler alert: I tipped the tray and spilled everything. The owner berated me in front of everyone. Thankfully the people were super nice about it before he started yelling and left me a giant tip after. He tried to take it from me as compensation for the food I ruined. I quit after a couple weeks (had to find a new job). That place went out of business in less than 2 years.

People like that should never have been in business in the first place. Both of my parents had their own business's (mom had a kitchen and bath remodeling business, dad was a electronics rep) my husband's dad owned a gas station and his mom managed a large Sears location. When you grow up in a family business, the first thing you learn (or should) is to treat your employees like gold. Loyalty is earned, not beaten into people.

• Love 9

Pet peeve: people who have to create an issue where none exists.  Today most radio stations in Canada are having  ‘A Day To Listen’ in the wake of the terrible discoveries at the residential schools here recently.  Don't want to listen?  Then turn off the radio!  Don't take to social media to whine and complain.  God I hate people sometimes.

• Love 8
On 6/24/2021 at 3:33 PM, GussieK said:

Some restaurants serve a nice type of lemony mustardy vinaigrette.  I’ve never been able to replicate it to my satisfaction. But just using a light application of EVOO and balsamic with some salt and pepper is good. 

That's how I eat my salad but with EVOO. I hate bottled dressings, especially cream based and especially HVR Ranch dressing that tastes like garbage. 

• Love 1