Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

This isn't that, but here's an Outlook plugin that "adds a few buttons to the Outlook ribbon to prevent people from replying to all the recipients of your message or forwarding it".

These function already exist within the settings of any new Outlook email message, but you have to hunt for them.

I did not know that. I'm going to look when I'm at work. I don't usually have a problem with people hitting reply all to my messages because if it is a message that everyone doesn't need to know what everyone else thinks, I put myself in the "to" line and bcc everyone else so any replies come only to me. I wish other people thought to do that.

• Love 2

We moved from Outlook to Gmail (which is a peeve in itself) and people have been replying to all like crazy.

Everyone hates it, emails on the customer side look like crap, people are missing meetings because of the way Google Calendar works. It's just awful. We're a huge global corporation and our emails look like amateur hour.

On the same rant - email signature lines. They are not the place to add your personal flair, or an inspirational quote, or holiday imagery. We have corporate standards and no one enforces them. People put sparkly images for Halloween and Christmas, people have Bible quotes, someone quoted AA and has the logo for AA and NA in it. AA and NA are very important things but it doesn't belong in your signature.

• Love 12

Update on my neighbor's Halloween décor: 

Animatronics!  Sound effects! 

There is now a Jason (I think - the guy with the hockey mask?)  holding a knife, and he moves! His arm moves up and down to make a stabbing motion, and there's a sound effect that I can't describe in words.  This is right next to the sidewalk that goes to his front door, so trick-or-treaters have to walk right by it to get to the door.  

There's also a bloody skeleton creature locked in a cage or small jail cell.  HIs hands are on the bars, and he's shaking and rattling the bars and screaming " HELP!   LET ME OUT OF HERE!"  Yeah,  that startled me when I came home from work yesterday.  

He has surrounded the whole thing with corn stalks, which is cracking me up.  The squirrels are all over this stuff, maybe they're making nests for the winter?  But they are tearing apart the corn stalks.  Between the high winds yesterday and the squirrels, pieces of dried corn stalks are scattered on our lawn, and several others down the block. 

• Love 2

The best Halloween decoration I ever saw -  my neighbor on the opposite side of the horror show -   he dressed like a scarecrow, with a pumpkin head, and straw hat. He did NOT look like a real person, he looked like a stuffed scarecrow.   He sat in a chair outside their door, with a bowl of candy, and a sign that said "we're not home, please take ONE PIECE of candy."   And he sat and waited.  When a kid got greedy and grabbed a handful, the scarecrow came to life and yelled "I SAID TAKE ONE!"  and chased the kid off the porch.  It was very effective.  

(of course, he only scared kids who were older, and were friends of his sons, and  they loved it.  little kids  just got a "warning"  from the scarecrow)

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

We moved from Outlook to Gmail (which is a peeve in itself) and people have been replying to all like crazy.

Everyone hates it, emails on the customer side look like crap, people are missing meetings because of the way Google Calendar works. It's just awful. We're a huge global corporation and our emails look like amateur hour.

On the same rant - email signature lines. They are not the place to add your personal flair, or an inspirational quote, or holiday imagery. We have corporate standards and no one enforces them. People put sparkly images for Halloween and Christmas, people have Bible quotes, someone quoted AA and has the logo for AA and NA in it. AA and NA are very important things but it doesn't belong in your signature.

Email signature lines have gotten ridiculous at my workplace as well, huge sparkly butterflies, bible quotes, pictures of their children, inspirational sayings, you name it we have it. There are also a couple admins who support several people, and in their signature line instead of saying "administrative assistant to Bob Smith, Sheri Jones & Mike Doran," they make a list: 

Administrative Assistant to Bob Smith

Administrative Assistant to Sheri Jones

Administrative Assistant to Mike Doran

Which, besides making their signature line about 6 inches long, also looks kind of pretentious and self-important.

• Love 7
On 10/21/2018 at 2:17 PM, backformore said:

Update on my neighbor's Halloween décor: 

Animatronics!  Sound effects! 

There is now a Jason (I think - the guy with the hockey mask?)  holding a knife, and he moves! His arm moves up and down to make a stabbing motion, and there's a sound effect that I can't describe in words.  This is right next to the sidewalk that goes to his front door, so trick-or-treaters have to walk right by it to get to the door.  

There's also a bloody skeleton creature locked in a cage or small jail cell.  HIs hands are on the bars, and he's shaking and rattling the bars and screaming " HELP!   LET ME OUT OF HERE!"  Yeah,  that startled me when I came home from work yesterday.  

He has surrounded the whole thing with corn stalks, which is cracking me up.  The squirrels are all over this stuff, maybe they're making nests for the winter?  But they are tearing apart the corn stalks.  Between the high winds yesterday and the squirrels, pieces of dried corn stalks are scattered on our lawn, and several others down the block. 

What does this guy do for a living that he has this much time on his hands?!?

• Love 2

I am sick. Yes, that is my peeve. My temp was above 100 pre-naproxen sodium, and I feel like I am letting my husband and son down by lying on the sofa, which I know is all on me and not anything they have said. Still I feel bad about it.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

There are also a couple admins who support several people, and in their signature line instead of saying "administrative assistant to Bob Smith, Sheri Jones & Mike Doran," they make a list: 

Administrative Assistant to Bob Smith

Administrative Assistant to Sheri Jones

Administrative Assistant to Mike Doran

Which, besides making their signature line about 6 inches long, also looks kind of pretentious and self-important.

What is the point of mentioning each name in a separate line, instead of having them all in the same sentence?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I am sick. Yes, that is my peeve. My temp was above 100 pre-naproxen sodium, and I feel like I am letting my husband and son down by lying on the sofa, which I know is all on me and not anything they have said. Still I feel bad about it.

Why aren't your husband and son waiting on you hand & foot - like you would be doing for them if they had a hangnail?  

Passing you a virtual tissue and some Vicks, and perhaps some booze-spiked honey-lemon tea & sympathy.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Your husband is a grown man; they'll be fine.  I hope you feel better soon. 

I am lying down too, with cramps, and I am quite peeved about that as well - it just won't let up despite the heating pad and pills.  Grrr.  At least Riley is happy, getting middle-of-the-day snuggles like this.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

Why aren't your husband and son waiting on you hand & foot - like you would be doing for them if they had a hangnail?  

Passing you a virtual tissue and some Vicks, and perhaps some booze-spiked honey-lemon tea & sympathy.

My husband would if I wanted anything. He did go get supper and cupcakes for my son's teacher's birthday tomorrow. It is his turn to bring snacks so I was going to make cupcakes for her birthday,  but baked goods from a sickie are probably a bad idea.

Mostly I want to be well tomorrow to go to work for a little bit so I can go to running club after school/work. I don't think my husband can take off, and if one of us isn't there the boy can't go. I am already off work by after school.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Your husband is a grown man; they'll be fine.  I hope you feel better soon. 

I am lying down too, with cramps, and I am quite peeved about that as well - it just won't let up despite the heating pad and pills.  Grrr.  At least Riley is happy, getting middle-of-the-day snuggles like this.

Cramps are the worst.  The only upside of menopause is no more cramps - but the other stuff might make you wish you were dead!  :-)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Cramps are the worst.  The only upside of menopause is no more cramps - but the other stuff might make you wish you were dead!  :-)

Once you make it into actual menopause. When you are in the hit-and-miss months leading up to them, they are worse. At least they are for me. I had horrible cramps one time (brought on, I believe, by foolishly doing sit-ups). I could not sit up. Then in the middle of the night, the dam burst, so to speak, and the cramps went away. Fortunately I was wearing long johns under my pajama pants.

I am fortunate enough not to have hot flashes so far. My mother didn't ever have them either. I'm just really cranky. I mean more than usual.

The cupcakes for the teacher's birthday reminded me of another peeve. The class parent (let's face it, it's always been a class mom) sent an email out seeking monetary donations for the class' contribution to the silent auction fundraiser and included a list of the boy's teacher's favorites. One mother replied to ask if everyone was going in on a present or if people were getting her individual presents for her birthday. I wanted to reply that I did not intend to get a present at all for her, but I'm just ignoring it instead. I really want to suggest to the school that it disallow presents to teachers for birthdays, Christmas or end-of-year. One, teachers usually have too much crap anyway (my mom was a teacher -- the amount of apple stuff she had boggles the mind). Two, it's too easy for some parents to spend a lot, and whether they mean it to be or not, it looks as though they are seeking better treatment for their child. Three, there are kids whose families can't give gifts to the teachers. I'd rather have my son write his teacher a letter about what he likes about her or her class. If I were a teacher, I'd prefer to get that from my students.

• Love 11
42 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I am fortunate enough not to have hot flashes so far. My mother didn't ever have them either. I'm just really cranky. I mean more than usual.

Don't make me hate you.!

I've had hot flashes since 2001.  Not nearly as acute these days, but I still cannot rock a single piece of warm clothing unless it rips off, quickly & easily.  :-D

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, auntlada said:

One mother replied to ask if everyone was going in on a present or if people were getting her individual presents for her birthday. I wanted to reply that I did not intend to get a present at all for her, but I'm just ignoring it instead. I really want to suggest to the school that it disallow presents to teachers for birthdays, Christmas or end-of-year. One, teachers usually have too much crap anyway (my mom was a teacher -- the amount of apple stuff she had boggles the mind). Two, it's too easy for some parents to spend a lot, and whether they mean it to be or not, it looks as though they are seeking better treatment for their child. Three, there are kids whose families can't give gifts to the teachers. I'd rather have my son write his teacher a letter about what he likes about her or her class. If I were a teacher, I'd prefer to get that from my students.

Obviously things have changed a lot since my daughter was in elementary or middle school, because at that time there was no way in hell there would have been solicitations or suggestions for a birthday present for the teacher. Some people did feel compelled to do a holiday present, but that was the exception rather than the norm. Virtually all of the teaching I've done has been at the university level, with a very brief stint in high school, so this is not anything I've ever experienced on the receiving end of things. But I have seen way too many cutesy teacher gifts, such as mugs and so forth. Why on earth would anyone assume that a teacher wants yet another mug? My suggestion, FWIW, would be that if people are hellbent on giving a teacher a present, do a gift card (something fairly generic such as Target, Walmart, Amazon, or even one of those completely generic prepaid Visa gift cards) so the teacher can pick out something he/she actually wants/needs. I feel like most teachers are underpaid anyway, and are also grossly underfunded for classroom supplies, so a gift card (modern-day equivalent of cold hard cash) seems the most appropriate thing. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Obviously things have changed a lot since my daughter was in elementary or middle school, because at that time there was no way in hell there would have been solicitations or suggestions for a birthday present for the teacher. Some people did feel compelled to do a holiday present, but that was the exception rather than the norm. Virtually all of the teaching I've done has been at the university level, with a very brief stint in high school, so this is not anything I've ever experienced on the receiving end of things. But I have seen way too many cutesy teacher gifts, such as mugs and so forth. Why on earth would anyone assume that a teacher wants yet another mug? My suggestion, FWIW, would be that if people are hellbent on giving a teacher a present, do a gift card (something fairly generic such as Target, Walmart, Amazon, or even one of those completely generic prepaid Visa gift cards) so the teacher can pick out something he/she actually wants/needs. I feel like most teachers are underpaid anyway, and are also grossly underfunded for classroom supplies, so a gift card (modern-day equivalent of cold hard cash) seems the most appropriate thing. 

They all have a list of places they like to shop. And they probably are underpaid, but they make as much as (or more) than I do, and I know what their retirement and health benefits are like because they are the same as mine (very good). For most of my working life (until a few years ago), they made a whole lot more than me and had way better benefits. And I include holidays in that because I worked for a newspaper and pretty much worked every holiday unless I took vacation time. We got Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day off, unless Christmas was on a Saturday, and then someone had to work in the evening to put out the Sunday paper. I said something to a teacher once about getting the summers off, and she said, "Well, we don't get paid for that time," and I thought, "And yet you still make more than I make for working 12 months out of the year."

I also think they'd have more paper if they quit sending home all the newsletters and stuff on paper. I want email, not more paper I have to keep track of.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, auntlada said:

I wanted to reply that I did not intend to get a present at all for her, but I'm just ignoring it instead. I really want to suggest to the school that it disallow presents to teachers for birthdays, Christmas or end-of-year. One, teachers usually have too much crap anyway (my mom was a teacher -- the amount of apple stuff she had boggles the mind). Two, it's too easy for some parents to spend a lot, and whether they mean it to be or not, it looks as though they are seeking better treatment for their child. Three, there are kids whose families can't give gifts to the teachers. I'd rather have my son write his teacher a letter about what he likes about her or her class. If I were a teacher, I'd prefer to get that from my students.

I live in a state where teachers are very well-paid, and I have a sister & brother-in-law who are teachers and they make a very generous salary. I don't begrudge them a dime, btw, but the gift thing for teachers was always a pet peeve of mine as well. My sister has gotten several coffee mugs, bags of candy and other assorted chachkies, and most of them were thrown in the garbage because she couldn't possibly use another coffee mug or eat another chocolate. Because of that I never gifted any of my daughters' teachers more than a $5 dunkin donuts gift card and I never gave to the 'pot' for some extravagant gift either. 

@bmasters9, it is my thought that they do it so people notice that they have 3 bosses, as if to say "look, I'm sooooo busy!" 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Obviously things have changed a lot since my daughter was in elementary or middle school, because at that time there was no way in hell there would have been solicitations or suggestions for a birthday present for the teacher.

I am flabbergasted that this is a thing now. In elementary school, the only thing I knew about my teacher was his/her last name. In middle/high school, teachers vented to us students about the lack of pay and warned us not to pursue teaching as a career unless we didn't need the money.Wildly unprofessional, but that was the extent of the personal info we got. Other than Valentine Day cards or maybe an end-of-the year gift, they didn't receive or want anything from us.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I am flabbergasted that this is a thing now. In elementary school, the only thing I knew about my teacher was his/her last name. In middle/high school, teachers vented to us students about the lack of pay and warned us not to pursue teaching as a career unless we didn't need the money.Wildly unprofessional, but that was the extent of the personal info we got. Other than Valentine Day cards or maybe an end-of-the year gift, they didn't receive or want anything from us.

Same here.  Different generations, for sure.  My high school history teacher wanted to get into my pants; I wanted to get into my college history teacher'a pants.  But then, in grade school, we started the day with a rendition of "God Save the Queen", right after Moses misinterpreted those tablets//  :=)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, auntlada said:

They all have a list of places they like to shop. And they probably are underpaid, but they make as much as (or more) than I do, and I know what their retirement and health benefits are like because they are the same as mine (very good). For most of my working life (until a few years ago), they made a whole lot more than me and had way better benefits. And I include holidays in that because I worked for a newspaper and pretty much worked every holiday unless I took vacation time. We got Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day off, unless Christmas was on a Saturday, and then someone had to work in the evening to put out the Sunday paper. I said something to a teacher once about getting the summers off, and she said, "Well, we don't get paid for that time," and I thought, "And yet you still make more than I make for working 12 months out of the year."

I also think they'd have more paper if they quit sending home all the newsletters and stuff on paper. I want email, not more paper I have to keep track of.

Teacher gifts like that is definitely not a thing for high school teachers.  I have maybe gotten a few gift cards or some chocolates every now and again.  I think it's ridiculous that it's a thing for elementary.  Buy classroom supplies, or give a gift card to Target so that school supplies can be purchased. Otherwise, no.  

I've been a teacher for around 15 years. I have a masters degree in a science field.  Yes, I am paid "well" but I am in a state where teacher pay is high (but then so is the cost of living in general).  That being said, one of my coworkers has a doctorate in a science field and she just the other day commented that after 15 years, she's just now making what she made in her STEM job.  So you can't really make a blanket statement and say teachers are paid well, without considering other factors.  I would absolutely be making more in industry.  

Secondly, with respect to summers off, I have most of August off.  But not July, because there's summer school.  The last week in June you're basically a zombie trying to get back to being a functional human again.  The last week in August you're prepping like a mad woman.  So I take offense to everyone waving  around summers off like it's this great thing.  It's maybe 3 weeks when all is said and done.  Winter break? I'm probably fighting off a bug.  Spring break? Often doesn't happen because snow days take away those days because they have to get made up.  And honestly, I know I work harder in 10 months than a lot of people do in a year. I literally have zero down time in a day.  I barely get time to run to the ladies room, and I get a whole 25 minutes to inhale a lunch, many of which you're also helping students during.  You always have to be "on" and if you're having a bad day, that's too bad for you, you still have a class to teach.  

All that said, I do love teaching, otherwise I'd be elsewhere. I just hate how it's perceived.  Everyone's been in school, so everyone thinks they know everything about it. It just irritates me. 

• Love 19

My SIL is a teacher and several of my friends from high school too.  The pay varies greatly from state to state and even district to district.  We live in the district where my SIL teaches and my daughter goes to her high school.  She seriously is committed to her students whether they are level, pre-AP or AP.  She regularly holds study sessions before major tests and finals for her students outside of school hours.  

Ongoing education requirements are part of the job so part of the summer off is attending these sessions every other year or so.

My SIL really cares about her students and a lot of times she ends up as a concerned adult who listens to them. A couple of times it has meant being the person who has had the obligation to report up through the channels to CPS or the police.

• Love 7

I have a carpet cleaner that I lent to my nephew a while back.  He returned it, but it wasn't all the way cleaned out the way I normally do (admittedly, I get a tad compulsive about it).  Because timing sucked, I out off doing a proper clean and promptly forgot about it until this morning when I had urgent need of it.

It functions perfectly fine as a carpet cleaner, but I have spent the last four hours obsessing over trying to get it reset to my liking and washing/cleaning any part that I possibly can.  A substantial part of that time has been spent resisting the temptation to unscrew screws that can be removed that would give me access to more nooks & crannies, but won't improve the functionality of the machine whatsoever and, more importantly, remove some plates that sandwich hoses that deliver the water for cleaning.  Tickering with these plates seems like a very very bad idea and I tell myself I should not do it.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, GoodieGirl said:

I live in a state where teachers are very well-paid, and I have a sister & brother-in-law who are teachers and they make a very generous salary. I don't begrudge them a dime, btw, but the gift thing for teachers was always a pet peeve of mine as well. My sister has gotten several coffee mugs, bags of candy and other assorted chachkies, and most of them were thrown in the garbage because she couldn't possibly use another coffee mug or eat another chocolate. Because of that I never gifted any of my daughters' teachers more than a $5 dunkin donuts gift card and I never gave to the 'pot' for some extravagant gift either. 

@bmasters9, it is my thought that they do it so people notice that they have 3 bosses, as if to say "look, I'm sooooo busy!" 

Yes, I worked at a community mental health center, working with kids, and I got sick of hearing about the poor teachers and how little they got paid.  Only because where I worked, we got paid substantially less, everyone had master's degrees,  and we  worked just as hard, and had to work evenings and Saturdays.   Nothing against teachers, just that they are not the only ones who work with kids and deserve more money.  

Gifts for teachers?  The elementary school my kids went to, finally had enough of the gift giving and sent out letters that  in lieu of personal gifts, parents could contribute a book to the classroom library, or to the school library,  they even provided stickers so you could fill out "Donated by"  and your name if you wanted to, and a wishlist of books for each grade level.  

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, backformore said:

Gifts for teachers?  The elementary school my kids went to, finally had enough of the gift giving and sent out letters that  in lieu of personal gifts, parents could contribute a book to the classroom library, or to the school library,  they even provided stickers so you could fill out "Donated by"  and your name if you wanted to, and a wishlist of books for each grade level.  

That is an excellent idea. If I ever get up the nerve, I'll suggest it.

The email from the class parent asked for $20 from every family to cover the basket for the PTA's silent auction (every class does a basket) and teacher gifts throughout the year. She also sent a list of things to donate for the basket. I think I'm going to do that. Then if we decide to do gifts, we'll do our own. I don't want to give money and let someone else decide what the gift is and how expensive or cheap it is. I'm not saying I don't trust whoever is buying, but they aren't giving us an account of what was spent. I don't know about Christmas, but at the end of the year, I think I'm going to sit my son down and have him write his teacher a letter.

The silent auction baskets are another thing. They are huge. We go to the event, and I bid on a few things, but I never actually buy anything because all the items go for so much money. There are quite a few families in the elementary school district who don't have a lot of money, but there are also families who are pretty rich. I think the mothers who end up being class moms come from those families (because they're the ones not holding down jobs so they have the time for it), and they are the ones who create the baskets. I don't think they realize how out-of-range they are for a lot of people. Still, I feel like I've done my bit by bidding and making people who can afford it pay more. I don't remember having class moms when I was in school, but maybe we did and I just didn't know it because my mother went back to work teaching when I started first grade. No way was she going to also be a class mom.

ETA: Now that I think more, I think I'm going to suggest to my husband that we donate a book to the teacher's class library or to the school library in her honor for Christmas.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 4

Here's my weird pet peeve - when people shorten a phrase to the adjective that describes the noun, instead of using the noun.  It's especially bothersome in a medical context.  

Examples:  "I have post-partum."  No, you can have post-partum depression, anxiety, psychosis, hemorrhage, anemia, hypertension, etc.   "Post-partum"  means it happened after childbirth.  If you mean you have post-partum depression, say it.  

Similarly, when pregnant, "pre-natal"  means before childbirth.  When I was pregnant, a nurse asked me "are you taking your pre-natal?"   I had no idea what she mean, until she clarified, in a tone that implied I was the idiot, "pre-natal vitamins!  you have to take them!"  Yes, of course I do, but I call them "vitamins."  not "pre-natals"  because that's not a noun.  

Recently a guy told me that last year he "had a phantom."   I thought her might have meant some other-worldly experience, but no, he had a "phantom heart attack."  Ok, that's not "a phantom,"  because in that case, "phantom"  is a descriptor, not a noun.   

it's a trend that drives me crazy. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, backformore said:

Recently a guy told me that last year he "had a phantom."   I thought her might have meant some other-worldly experience, but no, he had a "phantom heart attack."  Ok, that's not "a phantom,"  because in that case, "phantom"  is a descriptor, not a noun.  

That one is especially vague. How on earth were you supposed to get heart attack out of just phantom?  I definitely would have thought that he had thought there was a ghost in his house?  Or that he named a pet Phantom?  As far as medical things go, I would imagine you could have a phantom anything, and why anyone would expect you to leap to phantom heart attack is bizarre?  

• Love 1

Fyi,fast-casual restaurants: Just because I placed my order online does not mean I should or will accept cold food being given to me upon arrival. Don't use online ordering as an excuse to cast off shitty food. You really don't want me to have to read you for filth on social media. Thanks.

• Love 3

Fyi,fast-casual restaurants: Just because I placed my order online does not mean I should or will accept cold food being given to me upon arrival.

That's so wrong.  They should be able to figure out the timing so your food is still hot.  We have a local deli/market that has really good Chinese and Korean food (their Korean BBQ is delicious).  I've gone in on the spur of the moment (so I sit and wait for my take-out to be prepared) and I've heard the staff on the phone with people calling in to ask for an good estimate as to when they will arrive to pick up their food so that it will be hot and fresh (maybe most places do this, but I took it as a sign of good business). 

Here's my weird pet peeve - when people shorten a phrase to the adjective that describes the noun, instead of using the noun.  It's especially bothersome in a medical context. 

I've heard variations of that type of speak and always assumed that it was a 'southern' thing (where I was born, raised and still live).  I've heard people (usually elderly) say that they have 'high blood' (instead of high blood pressure).  Others in the group of the same age just nod in understanding. The same people also say that they or someone in the family has 'sugar' instead of saying diabetes (which is why I always assumed that it was just a regional thing).

My peeve for today is at myself:  I ran out of half and half about three days ago.  Why can't I remember to go by the store to pick up more before I get home, change clothes, and don't want to go out again?  I forgot again today.  (When I do go to the store--hopefully, tomorrow--I'm going to pick up a jar of Coffee Mate powder just to keep in the back of the pantry for instances like this.  It's not half and half, but it will do in a pinch). 

I fucked up my second (and largest) batch of pumpkin seeds. I didn't let them soak long enough and the herb mix is not what I thought it would be. So now I gotta run by Sprouts tomorrow on my way out of town and drive around with pumpkins in my trunk and hope they are full of seeds when I get home on Halloween.

Have you ever tried this? shelf stable half-and-half

After seeing it in hotel breakfast areas, I wondered if it was available in smaller quantities. I found it at HEB and also Walmart. Obviously not as good as the real thing, but if you watch the expiration date, it's not bad to keep on hand.

I'm going to find some of that.  Thanks!

Dear Asswipe in new Mercedes SUV - 

Your expensive new ride comes with an ashtray I assume.  Do not throw casually toss your still lit cigarette out of the car window.  

I was thisclose to getting out of my car & throwing back into yours since we were at a stoplight.  

• Love 8
On 10/17/2018 at 10:15 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I realize that there is an opioid crisis going, but I'm pissed that patient comfort has gone out the window.

Look, I normally have a high threshold for pain- I even refused to take my painkillers after my reconstruction because reasons and being stupid. That said, I still want the good drugs when I'm in agony. As is the case right now.

I fractured my pinky last week when closing my umbrella. I thought I had just sprained it- but I also thought I dislocated it- as I saw the bone at an odd angle at the first SNAP! Then saw it snap back into place with the second SNAP!  It felt sore and I had a brief to cite-check so I had no time to go to ER. I Worked through the pain like an idiot. I jury-rigged a huge splint in the office to put around my finger. But by the end of the day I was dizzy with the waves of pain going down to my wrist.

I went to Urgent Care-and with the tiny X-ray they discovered I had fractured the joint. They buddied my ring finger with my pinky, wrapped it in gauze and bound it with that latex thingie. And put me in a hand brace. And told me to see an orthopedic doctor for a FULL X-ray. But the doctor as nice as he was didn’t give me the good drugs!!!!?????? The prescription version of Aleve (500mg Naproxen) didn’t and isn’t cutting it. I asked for the good drugs but was shut down. I still had one pill of Hydrocodone from my surgery in January, so at least I had some relief that night. The earliest to see an orthopedic is this Friday. My pinky and now hand is throbbing and no amount of over the counter is helping!?????

I’m not a pill popping addict, but seriously, do I have to be hemorrhaging to get the Vicodin or Percocet??? Thankfully my attorneys are very understanding that I’m not My usually speedy self. It might as well have been my right hand I injured since I can’t do jack shit with the hindersome brace on my left hand.????

Thank. You. 

When I had surgery a few years ago, one of the most comforting aspects that calmed my nerves were the reassurances that my pain would be managed and the encouragement to keep the pain below a certain threshold and to USE THE DAMN MEDICINE. It was an abdominal surgery and, when I woke up, I was so scared of throwing up that I didn't touch the pump and boy was that a mistake. Luckily, the nurse gave me some extra Tylenol (apparently it can help boost the effectiveness of the narcotic) and told me that I really should try to use the meds, that that's what they were there for. And I was sent home with a month's supply of oxy, I think. I took them for a few days and then didn't need them, but you know, it was such a huge relief to know that I wouldn't be told to bear out any excruciating pain. I was told I"d likely be uncomfortable, and I was, but the use of narcotics was clearly explained and I understood how they were to be used. I would be PISSED as hell and terrified if my pain level was not one of the primary concerns of my care team. 

I also went through a time of intense nerve pain from sciatica and let me tell you, for pain that doesn't stop and is a constant 9 or so on the pain scale? No, ibuprofen doesn't work. Tylenol does nothing. Aspirin? Whatever. I didn't WANT to live on narcotics, but I wasn't sleeping and was severely depressed. I asked one doc if pain meds were an option and, no, no, the pain can't be that bad, so here, have some anti-seizure meds instead that have been used off-label to treat nerve pain. But don't bother to tell me that I should taper them instead of stopping suddenly - nah, I really enjoyed that seizure I had while hobbling along in the grocery store because I ran out of pills and nobody told me how to take them. Luckily, surgery worked and again, I was told my pain would be managed. I was so freaking happy to wake up without sciatica that I didn't need pain meds at all. 

It pisses me off to think that pain management might suffer because of possible short-sighted "solutions" that could leave people in pain and, I think, may only make things worse. 

End soapbox. I just had to chime in a hearty agreement with this post. 

• Love 7

Yesterday it was raining.  A lot.  I was going down the alley to the door for my work and there were tons of puddles.  Someone was walking back towards me.  I assumed she was just leaving the building. I get to the door and pull on it and it's locked, so I take out my keys to unlock it so I can get in.  The woman that just passed me apparently looked back and said "Oh, you have keys," and came back and I let her in.  But, later I was a little annoyed.  She let me walk through all those puddles, knowing the door was locked and not saying anything.  I mean a quick "door's locked" would have cost her nothing. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, later I was a little annoyed.  She let me walk through all those puddles, knowing the door was locked and not saying anything.  I mean a quick "door's locked" would have cost her nothing. 

You have every right to be annoyed! Some people lack such self-awareness despite being so selfishly focused on their own needs; or they’re just too shy/rude and/or socially awkward to simply communicate such important info to others. 

Just last week I dealt with the flip side of that: I noticed a gal in the hallway was walking over to a digitally operated door in our condo building that was currently locked up for repairs. I kindly said to her as I passed by, “That door doesn’t work; locked for repairs this week.” She simply looks at me stupidly and proceeds to attempt to punch her code into the door. To which I then repeated louder, “Like I said, that door isn’t working right now.” She continued to ignore me and kept keying in her code, to which I just shook my head and muttered, “mkay, whatever moron.”

Maybe she was deaf, who knows; but it does make you hesitant to even bother offering help when idiots like that ignore your assistance or even a friendly comment. I dunno what’s up with the weird “stranger danger” type reactions some adults get when unknown other adults so much as attempt to communicate with them. 

12 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Dear Asswipe in new Mercedes SUV - 

Your expensive new ride comes with an ashtray I assume.  Do not throw casually toss your still lit cigarette out of the car window.  

Ugh, that’s so rude; I just loathe the way smokers act as though the world is their ashtray! Reminds me of how annoyed I get whenever I use my condo building’s outside stairwell and usually see it covered in tossed butts, despite the fact that there are ashtray sticks right there on every single level of that outside stairwell. Just reminds me that most smokers are fucking disgusting and lazy; I once even visited a chain smoker who would sit there just flicking her cigarette ashes into her living room’s shag carpet!  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I was thisclose to getting out of my car & throwing back into yours since we were at a stoplight.  

Wow. That is rude as hell.Speaking of rude smokers, last night I was stopped at stoplight and a homeless man was walking up and down the middle of the intersection begging for money, with a cigarette in hand. I was on his left side, and the cigarette was in his left hand. My window was rolled down because it was a cool night down here. When he got to my car, he leans over and places the hand with the cigarette on my door, causing all this smoke to blow through my seat. If he didn't look half out of his mind, I would have taken that cigarette out of his hand and thrown it to the ground. He then proceeded to do the same thing to the next 3 cars behind me.

A homeless man just got killed by a hit and run driver at that same intersection just a month ago. I'm not sure if he is purposely trying to be victim #2, but I don't see the invasive cigarette thing turning out well for for him if he keeps it up.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, backformore said:

Here's my weird pet peeve - when people shorten a phrase to the adjective that describes the noun, instead of using the noun.  It's especially bothersome in a medical context.......  

......Recently a guy told me that last year he "had a phantom."   I thought her might have meant some other-worldly experience, but no, he had a "phantom heart attack."  Ok, that's not "a phantom,"  because in that case, "phantom"  is a descriptor, not a noun. 

God how I hate this.  As you say it's confusing as hell on top of being just annoying.  I had co-workers who ALWAYS said "social" instead of "social security number" and I spent a lot of time mentally counting to ten just standing next to them.

And "phantom" might be a phantom limb or any number of other things.  Geez.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
40 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I had co-workers who ALWAYS said "social" instead of "social security number"

That one doesn't bother me so much, since it's a lot shorter and most everyone knows what you are talking about.  I guess they could say "SSN" instead...

• Love 1

I understand that some people like to listen to music while they work, which is fine as long as doing so doesn’t interfere with them doing their job. But when you are performing sonograms on elderly patients, and your music is cranked up so loud that the patient can’t hear your instructions for when to reposition herself, and you can’t hear the patient telling you that what you are doing is causing a lot of pain, you might want to lower the volume. Also, when your IT person comes in to fix your computer, and then you have to reboot your computer,  it’s not cool to spend the next 10 minutes, mid-procedure, getting your media player up and running, plus flipping through your music library deciding which playlist you want. Finish the procedure and use the time before your next patient to deal with your music. The patient doesn’t care that you have had a bad day and music helps you calm down. Would you be willing to let the patient stop you in the middle of the procedure for 10 minutes so she could figure out what music she wants to listen to? Yeah, didn’t think so. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I guess they could say "SSN" instead...

As long as they didn't say "SSN number."  "PIN number" and "VIN number" (and "ATM machine") irritate me.

While we're on language peeves:  Gift as a verb.  I know it is a verb as well as a noun, so it's not improper, but hearing/seeing it used as one bugs the shit out of me.  It's not on the level of female as a noun (outside a medical context, that always comes across as demeaning), but it's up there. 

• Love 8

My new pet peeve is when people post stuff that I don't think makes sense but I make myself read it 60 times to make sure. Which I think is more of a pet peeve against myself than the poster.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, auntlada said:

I hate essential oil diffusers and think they should be banned in the workplace.

Hadn't encountered that myself, but it really does seem like something that shouldn't be present in the workplace unless you work at a spa or similar.

• Love 2

I'm not really into essential oils, although everyone around me seemingly is and likes to suggest various oils to me to cure or fix various ailments or nonailments. Mostly they just give me a headache. I'm the only one in my office area that doesn't like them. It's not usually a problem, but we have a woman who is temporarily (I hope) in our office because her area has to be cleaned of mold (it's a weird situation). She sits between me and the essential oil lovers, and she likes them, too. So that has encouraged the most annoying one, who is at the other end of the long open office from me (the other has her own office, so her stuff doesn't bother me), to talk and talk and talk about the oils and what she has and what she wants and to bring them out for everyone to smell and then to put them in her diffuser. She says she just puts in a drop or two, but it's pretty strong. She also tells me that what she's using is good for relaxing you and helps headaches. I told her, "Well, it gives me a headache."

I just think if you want to spend your money on essential oils, fine. Whatever you want. I'd rather relax with books and chocolate, but you do what you want. Just don't put it out there where I have to breathe it. She tried to tell me today that when I had opened the door to get fresh air by my desk she hadn't even turned it on yet, just the light was on. I told her the light must be making it smell then because I could smell it.

She drives me crazy anyway. I spend a lot of time muttering, "Shut up," behind my cubicle wall.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, auntlada said:

I'm not really into essential oils, although everyone around me seemingly is and likes to suggest various oils to me to cure or fix various ailments or nonailments. Mostly they just give me a headache. I'm the only one in my office area that doesn't like them. It's not usually a problem, but we have a woman who is temporarily (I hope) in our office because her area has to be cleaned of mold (it's a weird situation). She sits between me and the essential oil lovers, and she likes them, too. So that has encouraged the most annoying one, who is at the other end of the long open office from me (the other has her own office, so her stuff doesn't bother me), to talk and talk and talk about the oils and what she has and what she wants and to bring them out for everyone to smell and then to put them in her diffuser. She says she just puts in a drop or two, but it's pretty strong. She also tells me that what she's using is good for relaxing you and helps headaches. I told her, "Well, it gives me a headache."

I just think if you want to spend your money on essential oils, fine. Whatever you want. I'd rather relax with books and chocolate, but you do what you want. Just don't put it out there where I have to breathe it. She tried to tell me today that when I had opened the door to get fresh air by my desk she hadn't even turned it on yet, just the light was on. I told her the light must be making it smell then because I could smell it.

She drives me crazy anyway. I spend a lot of time muttering, "Shut up," behind my cubicle wall.

I feel your pain...I have a few family members that are totally into essential oils. Some of their beliefs about the effacacy of the oils is honestly - a little disturbing. But hey - do what you want. The constant pressure to use and buy them gets extremely annoying.

• Love 3