Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

(edited)
56 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

I have a co-worker who is guilty of this: asks me to borrow everything from ear buds

Ha! I dare someone to borrow my earbuds - I don't clean my ears!

Current pet peeve, I really wanted to watch Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion tonight. Logo has shown ten minutes of show, ten minutes of commercials! Luckily I have this thread to read during the endless commercial breaks.

Going back to people who can't wear watches, etc. (I don't know how to go back and quote). Long ago I worked at a grocery store (before scanners) and I almost lost that job because for a short period of time (like two weeks) every register I worked on would often add numbers wrong or the receipt would have letters on it rather than numbers. No one else had a problem and the repairman couldn't find a thing wrong with the registers. Then, as quickly as this useless super power came, it went away. And nothing like that has happened since then.

Along with people who toss their cigarettes, I hate spitters. It's so gross! I've noticed a lot of people (mostly young) spit after every drag on a cigarette. Here's a thought, if every drag of a cigarette gives you the urge to spit, maybe you aren't cut out for smoking?

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Same with me and my friends. We even had a few stretches of time over the years with one or another person out of work, and the rest of us would just pay for dinners and nights out for that person rather than have that person not go. 

Friends did that for me when I was out of work and now I do it for others. It's the pay it forward thing. I have some friends who, even though I make decent money, never let me pay for myself or pick up the tab for them. So now I just randomly pay for various friends when we go out (and I am able). Paying it forward is easier than arguing with generous friends.

2 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Just remembered my latest pet peeve whine: people who constantly ask to borrow things and usually never return them!!! I have a co-worker who is guilty of this: asks me to borrow everything from ear buds to coffee mugs((two of mine remain unreturned)) to paper to basic office supplies to a phone charger to even my laptop power chord! She's even tried to bum money off me((to which I lied, "Sorry, I never bring cash to work.")) I about lost it on her finally when I stopped her as she was walking down the hall to go home for the day and said, "Hey, I need my charger back, please." Bitch had the nerve to do that whole "Whoops, I totally forgot, sorry!" routine as she guiltily fished it out of her purse. After that, I was DONE. Now when she asks me to borrow my shit I just smile sweetly and lie about not having whatever she asks for---nope, I'll help out anyone else, but I don't help disrespectful users.

Ugh! People like that suck!

My other peeve is people who will never drive anywhere and are always trying to mooch a ride. It's  not that they can't drive, don't have a car or their car is in the shop. It's literally "who wants to get xyz for dinner" and the person who is in gets "awesome, pick me up?" because they don't want to drive. And people who area always looking for a designated driver but never want to be the DD. It sucks being the DD but for fucks sake, take one for the team once in awhile and DD for us. 

• Love 3
(edited)

OOOH! People who borrow books, and then assume because I read it already, they're free to pass it along! This only happens with friends who don't do a lot of recreational reading, I've noticed--maybe they just "don't get" book people!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, auntlada said:

I don't drink coffee, so I will never do that, but what does it mean to ask for room?

I never knew that either and I love coffee. I only take mine black (but I have a coffee press so, no need for a barista). Haven't purchased cafe coffee in over a year.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My other peeve is people who will never drive anywhere and are always trying to mooch a ride. It's  not that they can't drive, don't have a car or their car is in the shop. It's literally "who wants to get xyz for dinner" and the person who is in gets "awesome, pick me up?" because they don't want to drive. And people who area always looking for a designated driver but never want to be the DD. It sucks being the DD but for fucks sake, take one for the team once in awhile and DD for us. 

I would never invite and then ask for a lift, but a friend of mine sometimes asks me to go out to eat in a town about 40 mintues away (which I call the big city, but am constantly told that it is not), and asks me if I want to drive.  I always say no, because I'm uncomfortable driving at night in unfamiliar territory in what I deem to be heavy traffic.  I realize it frustrates her, but since she knows this about me, she can simply stop asking me if I want to go, or she can realize better frustrated over lack of my driving than dead in a car crash.

On the other hand, if she wants to go out to a bar in town, I always offer to DD because I don't care if I drink or not.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

As a former barista, we were trained to leave milk for cream/sugar. Better to hear the "Fill it to the top" request, then to drag out half a bag of wasted coffee to the dumpster.

Here's my peeve: My co-worker was in a jam the other day and asked to borrow $10 bucks until payday. I was nice enough to say "Sure, and don't worry about paying me back", but she insisted.

So yesterday, I'm walking down the hallway, and she gets in my face and rudely says "Here ya go" and basically shoves the money in my face. I say '....Thanks?" and she keeps walking. End of conversation. Hasn't spoken to me since (and we are usually work buddies).  This isn't the first time I've had rude encounters when someone's paying back a loan I've offered.  Unless it is a an extremely large amount or I need it, I never press anybody and never think about it. But I usually get a brisk attitude anytime someone has taken it upon themselves to repay me.

It makes me never want to help anyone else out again---and I hate feeling like that.

The same thing happened to me but for more money. I never said don't worry about but did say to pay me back monthly for what she could afford. Every month she threw the check at me and acted like she was doing ME a favor. I got fed up and talked to a mutual friend and told said friend that I would take her to small claims court and get the full amount and I was tired of no gratitude but attitude instead. Well, the next time she was acting friendly and has not thrown the check but placed it on the desk right away. I also upped the monthly payment and it will be repaid in a few months.

I found out from the mutual friend that she has done this many times and just doesn't like to pay her bills. I learned the bigger the sob story, the more difficult it is to deal with the person when they have to pay it back.

• Love 3

If I loan something to somebody, I don't loan them something else until they've returned the previous item.  I'm just not that generous, I guess.

I am also a big ride mooch.  I have a car but I hate to drive.  I suck at it and I'm worse when I have a passenger.  If it's a long trip, though, I make sure to treat the driver to a snack or small gift.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Qoass said:

If I loan something to somebody, I don't loan them something else until they've returned the previous item.  I'm just not that generous, I guess.

I am also a big ride mooch.  I have a car but I hate to drive.  I suck at it and I'm worse when I have a passenger.  If it's a long trip, though, I make sure to treat the driver to a snack or small gift.

Gas money would be a much better offer.

• Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, Sun-Bun said:

Just remembered my latest pet peeve whine: people who constantly ask to borrow things and usually never return them!!! I have a co-worker who is guilty of this: asks me to borrow everything from ear buds to coffee mugs((two of mine remain unreturned)) to paper to basic office supplies to a phone charger to even my laptop power chord! She's even tried to bum money off me((to which I lied, "Sorry, I never bring cash to work.")) I about lost it on her finally when I stopped her as she was walking down the hall to go home for the day and said, "Hey, I need my charger back, please." Bitch had the nerve to do that whole "Whoops, I totally forgot, sorry!" routine as she guiltily fished it out of her purse. After that, I was DONE. Now when she asks me to borrow my shit I just smile sweetly and lie about not having whatever she asks for---nope, I'll help out anyone else, but I don't help disrespectful users.

At my previous job, I kept a lot of work-related books in my office.  Colleagues would ask to borrow books, and if I wasn't in the office, they'd just take them.   When I lost track of an expensive reference book, I had to stop being so nice.  I bought sticky  labels for my books, my name on the insider cover, and put a sign on my shelf to not take books out of my office without asking.  And for certain people, I just started saying no.  "I'm sorry, I need that in a few minutes for a presentation i'm working on."  

Borrowing money between co-workers was always more like "I'll buy you lunch, you can buy mine next week."  and if it wasn't reciprocated, they don't get another chance.   It irked me when people wanted to borrow money for Starbucks though.  Yeah, I get it, I'd like a latte every day too.  (but I can't afford it) But if you don't have cash, settle for the "normal"  coffee in the break room.

• Love 3

Repeat Pet Peeves - people that don't read a whole 2 sentences.  I'm texting with a guy to arrange when we can meet in person.  I say "How about Tues or Wed next week? or Thurs the week after? (6/15)".  He replies, "I'm free Thurs next week."  Grrr.....

• Love 6

Not a good sign when you've got a peeve even before meeting in person. 

Have to take the Kook to the vet in about 10 minutes (shots).  He is not a fan of getting in the car, although he rides fine.  It normally takes two people to get him in and it just started to rain.  This will be fun. 

• Love 4

As someone who has struggled (and still struggling) to start a family, I really dislike it when people say that adoption is "easy."  It isn't - at least not like it was in the 80s (most people who say the wait is fairly quick are older, with kids in their late 20s-40ish, basically people my parents' age).  Waiting can be forever.  And when you're a mixed race/religion couple, it's even MORE difficult (especially when one of us (me) is Asian).

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

As someone who has struggled (and still struggling) to start a family, I really dislike it when people say that adoption is "easy."  It isn't - at least not like it was in the 80s (most people who say the wait is fairly quick are older, with kids in their late 20s-40ish, basically people my parents' age).  Waiting can be forever.  And when you're a mixed race/religion couple, it's even MORE difficult (especially when one of us (me) is Asian).

I agree.  And gay couples have even longer to wait. 

A gay couple I know ended up doing an overseas adoption, because of so many delays in the U.S.  When they finally got to meet their child, he was already 3 years old.  He hadn't even been born yet when they began.   So - though they were approved and ready for a child by the time he was born, he spent 3 years in an orphanage while they dealt with the red tape.

Good luck, PRgal! I wish the best for you.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, backformore said:

I agree.  And gay couples have even longer to wait. 

A gay couple I know ended up doing an overseas adoption, because of so many delays in the U.S.  When they finally got to meet their child, he was already 3 years old.  He hadn't even been born yet when they began.   So - though they were approved and ready for a child by the time he was born, he spent 3 years in an orphanage while they dealt with the red tape.

Good luck, PRgal! I wish the best for you.

Thank you! :)  I'm surprised that your friends were able to adopt overseas.  Most countries won't even allow same sex couples to adopt!

7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I, too, would've complained about it, and I'm 42. Cranky old ladies unite!

Ha!  I'm 37 and I think I've been a "cranky old lady" since I was 35...or even 30!

• Love 5
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

It's so hard to adopt, we didn't even bother to try and at this point it's not in the cards for us (we moved around a lot early on in our careers). I don't like what I'm seeing in the news regarding schools anyways, there's always some pedophile lurking around the corner.

Which leads me to my next thought, which is much stronger than a pet peeve: If anyone has a compulsion to harm a child in that way, just, go away. I can't say here what I really want to express, but people like that don't deserve to breathe the air on this earth. 

• Love 3

I'm honestly surprised it's that hard to adopt. I mean assuming you're not set on an infant.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of kids in foster care.  Granted, not all of them are adoptable because their parents haven't lost or given up their rights to them yet.  But, there must still be a huge amount that are adoptable and just languishing.  If it's really that hard, they should make it easier.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Thank you! :)  I'm surprised that your friends were able to adopt overseas.  Most countries won't even allow same sex couples to adopt!

Yes, they got around it by one person doing the legal adopting as a single parent, then bringing the child to the U.S. and having the other parent become the legal guardian.   There are lawyers who help gay couples deal with the legal hindrances. 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm honestly surprised it's that hard to adopt. I mean assuming you're not set on an infant.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of kids in foster care.  Granted, not all of them are adoptable because their parents haven't lost or given up their rights to them yet.  But, there must still be a huge amount that are adoptable and just languishing.  If it's really that hard, they should make it easier.

What's even more maddening is that any idiot can have a kid--and some wind up raised in households that adoption agencies would deem unfit (and that often goes unchecked). 

Whatever. Soon enough we'll be moving back into the wilderness and away from urban stupidity. In my mind "cities" are named as such because all you do when trying to get form one place to another is sit and wait. Go a little bit, then sit and wait. And sit. "Sitties". 

• Love 5

Group texts---God I hate them. The hate turns to burning, firey loathing as soon as a couple of idiots start continuing the conversation within the group text. Just text the main person back directly, but NOT IN THE GROUP TEXT; how difficult is this to understand?!

I just had one such embarrassing group text exchange with one of my special needs students on my school cell. He literally started an expletive-laden text fight with one of my other students on an innocent group text she'd sent out to friends/family/staff. I had to text him separately to STAWWWWWPPPP embarrassing himself further because I suddenly had adults chiming in with their own "Da fuq is this mess?" confused reactions. First time I've ever had to lecture a student about the annoying evils of the group text. 

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

More are not "adoptable" than you think.  And the system is very pro-birthparent.  Then you have the social workers who believe kids should be placed with parents who are from a similar cultural background (which basically means couples like my husband and me are way, way, way down the list.  There aren't too many Asian/part Asian kids (ESPECIALLY Asian kids who have a Jewish birth parent) in foster care - at least in proportion to the population in Toronto). 

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 2:13 PM, PRgal said:

The system is very pro-birthparent. 

Tell me about it. At the children's hospital where I work, we joke grimly that a parent's first attempt to kill their kid is a freebie. 

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, riley702 said:

At the children's hospital where I work, we joke grimly that a parent's first attempt to kill their kid is s freebie. 

In that vein, I support an organization that gives free swimming lessons to city kids.  All of the benefit goes to the kid because it's not like the parents now have freed-up money they can spend on themselves instead of swimming lessons, and it's never a bad idea for someone to know how to swim.  The fewer accidental and "accidental" drownings that occur, the better.

I haven't yet figured out a similar preventive for "accidentally" leaving kids in hot cars.  The advice to "Put something important,, like your briefcase, in the back seat so you don't forget to look back there" has always stunned me.

On 6/1/2017 at 8:51 PM, forumfish said:

The young man I later learned is the principal

"Young man" and "principal" in the same sentence?  That's how you know when you're old.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 8:15 AM, Katy M said:

I'm honestly surprised it's that hard to adopt.

Try to adopt a dog. It's just as bad. Home visits, etc., evaluations to determine if you are fit to be a pet-parent, is your home "good enough." Etc.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ennui said:

Try to adopt a dog. It's just as bad. Home visits, etc., evaluations to determine if you are fit to be a pet-parent, is your home "good enough." Etc.

My daughter who was raised with dogs and has had dogs from the minute she was able to as an adult was just turned down at a dog rescue.  They found a French Bulldog that they fell in love with, filled out the application and before she could even schedule the home visit, she was denied.  A dog that joined my daughter's family would be a very lucky, pampered, much loved dog.  My daughter was stunned that it was easier to have her kids than it is to rescue a homeless dog. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Working in an animal shelter has, unfortunately, shown me why these measures are in place. I agree that they can be a real pain, and even backwards in some instances. But it's a case of bad apples ruining it for the rest. At my shelter, if a person even hints at declawing a cat, for instance, the application is not even considered. The weird thing is that maybe we should be doing follow-up check-ins or something, but we don't--and I don't know of any shelters that actually do even though the applications often say that it could happen. I assume it's a matter of lack of manpower and resources, or even just the "bothering people" factor.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, ennui said:

We adopted our dog from a wealthy town's shelter where an advocacy group has assumed the adoption process. We joke that if it were today, we wouldn't have been allowed to adopt him because we live in a condo (in a not-wealthy town) and both work, neither one at home. Except it's not really a joke.  

Don't get me wrong; we appreciate the work the group did to help the boy while he was in the pound (he had a boatload of issues, many of which we worked out with him as well), and I understand the need to look out for the welfare of shelter and rescue critters. I agree with you, @TattleTeeny, that follow-up would be a more effective way of ensuring an animal's welfare, because on the applications I've seen the correct answers to the questions are pretty obvious. But I also understand how stretched the resources at many shelters are to begin with.  

The horse rescue where I volunteered requires an adopter to send in a dated photo of their horse(s) during the month of June. If a picture doesn't come in, the organization reserves the right to visit for a welfare check. But that's a private organization with relatively deep pockets and a crazy super-dedicated lady at the helm.

During the winter, we take Handsome to the beach in the town where he came from, and have met there with a volunteer from their organization from time to time, so we sort of engineered a de facto follow-up check. And it's always nice when the ACO is driving by and honks and waves to us too. 

• Love 5
(edited)

on the applications I've seen the correct answers to the questions are pretty obvious. But I also understand how stretched the resources at many shelters are to begin with.  

Exactly! I mean who wouldn't know what to say on these?! And the the way we end up "judging" is on the return rate--usually people who did not follow instructions (e.g., just brought a new cat into a household with other cats, and let it out of the carrier right into the fray instead of setting it up in a more private area for a few days, or not giving a dog enough time to be comfortable enough to play). It's horrible.

We had a woman return a great cat after just a couple days because the cat scratched and bit her son, who had been manhandling the cat out from under a bed. Th cat had just gotten there--who cares if he was chilling under a bed! She was advised that he would likely hide out at first, as he is very quiet and a bit shy, but so sweet. Oh, and her son that got beat up? Not a little kid; he was in his 30s. Anyway, they dumped him back with us--and GOOD; he now has a home with another volunteer who'd had enough of him being rejected simply because he was not aggressively affectionate right off the bat.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

I had to lie on my application to save the cat-cats life. My apartment is 'no pets' but I obtained permission to have the kitten-cat when I found him. The cat-cats application had my friends info and his landlords info on it. I'd move before I surrendered him. Worst case scenario is he'd end up with my parents, where he'd be thrilled since he's a lovey lap cat and my is retired and loves lap cats.

• Love 8

We adopted a cat 6+ years ago that had been fostered. We knew from the get go that she liked to hide in high places and was rather protective of some of her toys. And indeed, the first one or two days she was with us, she climbed on the highest tier of the shelves in our store room (which is also where we had her litter box located). I was afraid she would not be able to climb down, but she was, and she stopped climbing up there very soon after moving with us. The people who had her in foster care also came to visit once she was settled, and were happy with what they saw. On adopting her, beside to agreeing to visits, I also had to sign a contract whereby I committed to a number of things, including having her sterilized when she was around 6 month old.    

• Love 7
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know if I've posted this pet peeve before but, so what!  Today I was reminded of a pet peeve as I watched a teenage girl walk s.l.o.w.l.y across a side street while the car in front of me waited to make a turn into that street.  What is it with healthy people who take their darned time crossing streets while traffic is waiting? I'm not talking about the elderly, the sick, those using a cane or walker, etc.  I'm talking about healthy looking individuals (robust!) who could shake a leg for once.

I thought about this post today as I had to stop and wait for an incredibly slow squirrel to cross the road. LOL.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I thought about this post today as I had to stop and wait for an incredibly slow squirrel to cross the road. LOL.

Just wait until you encounter Canada geese &/or ducks escorting their young to water.  Not only crossing the street (which takes awhile, since there are usually at least half a dozen or more babies & everyone in the queue has short legs), but waddling single-file down the road in front of you, with no room to pull around them.

I do prefer them to bicyclists, which the law in my city permits to use the whole lane, so cars must trail them until it's safe to pass (because no sanctimonious smugly entitled cyclist would consider moving out of the way).  At least the waterfowl are cute & fun to watch, which we have ample time to do.....

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

On 5/16/2017 at 6:25 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know if I've posted this pet peeve before but, so what!  Today I was reminded of a pet peeve as I watched a teenage girl walk s.l.o.w.l.y across a side street while the car in front of me waited to make a turn into that street.  What is it with healthy people who take their darned time crossing streets while traffic is waiting? I'm not talking about the elderly, the sick, those using a cane or walker, etc.  I'm talking about healthy looking individuals (robust!) who could shake a leg for once.

I usually cut the youngsters a lot of slack.  I spent the majority of my teenage years in my own private Idaho that I am certain my awareness of the rest of society was neglible at best and the annoyance, inconvenience and irritation I caused substantial.

• Love 2

So, I am downsizing two households (long story). I took a car load of stuff around to Goodwill, and lo and behold, they have exceeded capacity and are not accepting donations. WTF? All I could think is, what in h*** am I supposed to do with all this stuff?

Dear Goodwill -- call the f* distribution center and tell them to send a couple of trucks. Who's in charge over there? Jeez.

(Goodwill is not my preferred charity, but the Salvation Army has incredibly limited hours for donations and I can't meet their window.)

• Love 2
On 6/3/2017 at 9:54 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

In that vein, I support an organization that gives free swimming lessons to city kids.  All of the benefit goes to the kid because it's not like the parents now have freed-up money they can spend on themselves instead of swimming lessons, and it's never a bad idea for someone to know how to swim.  The fewer accidental and "accidental" drownings that occur, the better.

I haven't yet figured out a similar preventive for "accidentally" leaving kids in hot cars.  The advice to "Put something important,, like your briefcase, in the back seat so you don't forget to look back there" has always stunned me.

"Young man" and "principal" in the same sentence?  That's how you know when you're old.

As a former lifeguard (and as someone who still works on a waterway/lake), we wish we knew how to reduce drownings. We've looked at the data and the rate never seems to change and the drownings occur all over. Oftentimes we get reports that the person in the water "is a good swimmer." Unless you train daily, you are likely NOT a good swimmer (pet peeve). I think overconfidence probably plays into it--when I train, there's a rescue tube attached to me in case I wind up taking a face full of wave (and I've got skills). Anyone can drown and no one seems to accept that until it happens to them or someone they know. 

• Love 4
(edited)

We have something around here called where they'll come pick it up. I cannot for the life of me at this moment remember its name but it has something to do with veterans--Purple Heart Pickup, maybe?

Edited by TattleTeeny
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

As a former lifeguard (and as someone who still works on a waterway/lake), we wish we knew how to reduce drownings. We've looked at the data and the rate never seems to change and the drownings occur all over. Oftentimes we get reports that the person in the water "is a good swimmer." Unless you train daily, you are likely NOT a good swimmer (pet peeve). I think overconfidence probably plays into it--when I train, there's a rescue tube attached to me in case I wind up taking a face full of wave (and I've got skills). Anyone can drown and no one seems to accept that until it happens to them or someone they know. 

I wish I learned how to swim when I was younger.  My parents never put me in lessons because they wanted to "protect" me - I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was six.  Not to mention my horrible eczema at that time as well.  Chlorine would have made it worse.   I'm really embarrassed at this fact.  No one else in my circle DOESN'T know how to swim.  Swimming lessons were part of the middle class Asian Tiger Parent package, along with piano/violin lessons.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I wish I learned how to swim when I was younger.  My parents never put me in lessons because they wanted to "protect" me - I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was six.  Not to mention my horrible eczema at that time as well.  Chlorine would have made it worse.   I'm really embarrassed at this fact.  No one else in my circle DOESN'T know how to swim.  Swimming lessons were part of the middle class Asian Tiger Parent package, along with piano/violin lessons.

It's never too late.

• Love 3

Happy Birthday.

It's not your birthday? Well, I'm getting in my greeting early because I am officially done with buying or making cards for people or sending them an e-mail or getting them a gift and getting a distracted thanks, if that, in response.  I know the point is to celebrate someone without expectation of getting something back in return but dammit, only two of my friends ever acknowledge my birthday and I'm sick of all this one-way action.

• Love 3

I teach drivers' ed at our school during the summers. The school is about five miles away from my house in our small town, and I have several students who live within a block or two of my house. Every summer I have parents asking me to drive their kids to/from drivers' ed. I know it's not a big deal, it's only a short trip, and getting your kid to and from school for a four-hour class each day is a pain, but I don't want to haul your kid around! And they never offer to pitch in for gas because I'm going anyway. It annoys me so much. I like my quiet time in the car and I don't want to ride around with teenagers! 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, HoosierJen said:

Every summer I have parents asking me to drive their kids to/from drivers' ed. I know it's not a big deal, it's only a short trip, and getting your kid to and from school for a four-hour class each day is a pain, but I don't want to haul your kid around!

Just tell them that insurance/school policy don't allow you to drive students outside of actual school functions.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, ennui said:

So, I am downsizing two households (long story). I took a car load of stuff around to Goodwill, and lo and behold, they have exceeded capacity and are not accepting donations. WTF? All I could think is, what in h*** am I supposed to do with all this stuff?

Dear Goodwill -- call the f* distribution center and tell them to send a couple of trucks. Who's in charge over there? Jeez.

(Goodwill is not my preferred charity, but the Salvation Army has incredibly limited hours for donations and I can't meet their window.)

Amvets will pick up and you don't have to be home. Call them up arrange a date and have your donation in your driveway. It's a great organization that helps veterans. 

• Love 3

Grammar Nazi peeve -- whoever in MSNBC who continues to misspell/misuse capital as in the capitol city or state capitol or Capitol Hill.  I've seen that twice in the last two days and it bugs me.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Sometimes, the pick up places won't take certain items that Goodwill will when you take it there.  So just check to see what the pick up places will take.

That's generally because most Goodwill locations are set up to trash the stuff you donate that they can't sell whereas the pick up locations aren't without moving it to another location..

Is it just me or does anyone else think that talking on your cell phone in a public or work place washroom while you are in the cubicle doing your bizzness is bad form?  I see it a lot but today at the beginning of lunch was just over the top.  I work in a hospital and a woman was in a cubicle talking loudly and I just assumed she was speaking to her friend in another cubicle but nope - she walks out of the cubicle still yapping and then washes up and leaves.  The gist of the conversation was just small talk, it's not like she was giving or receiving vital information such as a family member in jeopardy, etc. To add another layer of rude she was still wandering around the little cafe in the front of the hospital  yapping on her cell phone and just walks in front of me abruptly to grab something so I had to almost jump to avoid hitting her.  Sheesh.  

While I am on this roll,  I see this young woman all the time in my neighbourhood pushing her toddler in a stroller and yapping on her phone.  I see her up and down the street, in the park pushing toddler on swing and still yap yap on the phone.  Am I getting old?  Why not put the phone down and actually be in the moment with the toddler and play?  

• Love 10