Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

I have to complain again about "daddy duty". My boss is now using this phrase (that I hate) to describe the plight of a coworker in another department. Coworker's wife went on a vacation with friends to some exotic locale, so poor put-upon hubby is left with the kids all week, you know, LIKE HIS WIFE IS ALL THE TIME. I swear I'm going to say something the next time someone brings up "daddy duty" (since everyone thinks everything I say is "some feminist thing...?" *blank stares*). It's called RAISING YOUR KIDS. STFU or go back in time and use a condom.

Yeah, I have always had trouble with this.  It's like when dads say they are "Mister Mom"  because they stay home with kids.  Nope, you're DAD. Stop filling in for someone else, and own the job, you're not a temp worker.   My brother-in-law used to say he was "baby-sitting"  for his kids on weekends when his wife worked.  He never understood when my response was that his wife "babysat" during the week while he worked.  I explained to him that BABYSITTING would be if he watched MY kids.  Taking care of his own kids was called PARENTING.  

When dads use terms like that, it speaks to how they view their job.  If you see it as raising your kids, then you will do stuff with them, teach them, coach them, help with homework, do chores with them, etc.   When you view it as "babysitting" - you're basically in charge of keeping them alive until the real parent gets home.   My brother-in-law was one  who "babysat"  for his kids, basically watching TV with them all day.  And then complain about how tough it was. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I just remembered another thing that made me throw my hands up today (and not in the party way).

Boss and coworker (different one from previous story) live on the same street in a fancy ($$$) neighborhood. Boss says to coworker, who is also an SVP, just over a different department from ours: "My wife saw your wife at the alteration shop, and said that after seeing your wife, she needs to lose weight! Ha ha ha!"

Boss's wife had a baby about six weeks ago and looked the whole time like she was a decathlete. The only way you would know she was pregnant was her tiny belly. The baby was five pounds at birth. I saw her a couple weeks ago, and she still looks like an Olympian. You would never know she has one child, much less two. She's tiny with amazing muscle tone. I seriously felt nauseous upon hearing my boss 1) repeat what his wife said instead of encouraging her to be healthy and not compare herself to others' warped sense of size and 2) LAUGHING about what she'd said.

I can only IMAGINE what they must think about my fat ass!

Can we get some sensitivity training up in here?? *crickets chirp*

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
(edited)

My mother has often said that when she had kids, she wondered who those people were that let us get away with whatever and who was that man who looked like her father but who played games with us at the dinner table. I wonder the same thing about her with my son. We'll be at her house, and he will do something, and I'll tell him not to do whatever it is. Often it's playing with something in the house that we would never have been allowed to play with in that way. My mother will say, "Oh, he's all right."

And that my friends is the joy of being grandma! I get to be the, let them eat donuts for dinner, jump on the couch, stay up until midnight house. I don't have to worry about disciplining or punishing.

I just get the fun and the love.

It's friggin' awesome and I earned it. And let me tell you....It's fun.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

A big pet peeve of mine is people saying "axe" instead of "ask." I was watching a true crime show recently, and the prosecutor kept pronouncing it this way during his interview. He seemed like a perfectly nice person, a professional, and certainly smart enough to get a degree and pass the bar, but each time he talked about "axing" the witness this or how he "axed" the witness that I wanted to rip his tongue out. With an axe!!

There was a conversation about this over in the "'Literally!' And Other Offenders..." thread. Turns out that it's a regional thing that originated in the UK over 1000 years ago, and ended up being imported to various parts of the US over the centuries.

Current pet peeve: Bad parenting in public---with school being out now and more kids on the loose daily, more and more bad parents feel entitled to let their hooligans do what they want daily, perturbing all the rest of us responsible adults out there daily.

Whether they're running around like animals and bumping into shopping carts at the grocery or terrorizing my condo building's pool, the ones who haven't been sent to summer school or to camp obviously couldn't be sent anywhere but to torture the rest of us for good reason.

Being a teacher, I work as an usher at my local minor league ballpark as my summer job. I like it and it's easy work, until parents suddenly decide going to the ballpark is simply an excuse to get drunk while letting their kids roam freely around the entire stadium. Cue most of us ushers having to find these kids after parents realize they haven't seen their little Johnny or Jane in a while, only to find Johnny or Jane practically destroying the free games in the local bar area, playing in the bathrooms, rolling down the hills beside the field seats area or throwing various items onto the field for shits and giggles((which often leads to them and their parents getting tossed from the stadium---we have a no tolerance policy for that)).

Listen, I'm all about free-range parenting and am totally into allowing kids the freedom to roam freely, but if you have a naturally mischievous child or a kid under 4 who's prone to wandering and getting lost, DO NOT let your child out of your sight! The world and the local ballpark is not your babysitter!!

And don't get mad at other folks swearing around your kid either---if you can't handle a few folks blowing off steam and loudly cursing around your precious child, you seriously don't belong I either a ballpark or most public areas. Cursing happens, so teach your child to know better and not use such crass language until he/she is age-appropriate to do so.

• Love 6

Where is that thread? Can you link it or give the forum name? It sounds interesting.

Here ya go!

As someone who has a very casual relationship with grammar, and occasionally spelling, I usually find it pretty amusing the extent which some of the peeves are.  My daughter has a cringe response to grammatical errors.  I sometimes make her twitchy.

• Love 1

I'm sure hearing me talk a lot of people would cringe even if I can be a nazi myself. I'm from the south so I use "fixin" a lot to explain that I'm about to do something. I'm "fixin" to call you a hillbilly bumpkin if you use "aks-ax-axe" in one more sentence, hehe, and it never fails to both amuse and horrify me that I can read, understand, and correctly pronounce hillbilly bumpkin talk in the written word. Us southerners are the kings of slurring and leaving out consonants. It's because it's so hot down here. You save energy where you can.

• Love 2

Oh my gawd, I hate the word "fixin's" so, so much I have to practically walk around in earmuffs during the Thanksgiving season.  Squash and mashed potatoes are not part of a recipe to fix turkey and are therefore not fixin's.  They're side dishes or if you must, sides.

• Love 2

I'm from the south so I use "fixin" a lot to explain that I'm about to do something.

I'm amused by a lot of what my paternal relatives in Oklahoma say that is foreign to me, and have even adopted a few expressions into my vocabulary, but the constantly fixin' to do something drives me nuts.

I'm sure I'd like your accent, though.  And most of what you say (especially if you use "bless your heart" as an insult).  Just not that!

• Love 1
(edited)

Listen, I'm all about free-range parenting and am totally into allowing kids the freedom to roam freely,

Same here.  But, as you've illustrated with your example, in order for that to work kids need to have been taught how to behave as members of a society, and know there will be repercussions if they don't.  (Not that kids shouldn't ever get up to something; pushing boundaries and learning how to live with the consequences of our actions is a vital part of growing up.  I'm talking about stuff like you're describing -- kids with no manners or boundaries as a matter of routine.)

My mother has often said that when she had kids, she wondered who those people were that let us get away with whatever and who was that man who looked like her father but who played games with us at the dinner table.

I apparently used to declare my intention to go live with my grandparents when I got in trouble for/wasn't allowed to do something, because "Grandma and Grandpa would let me do that."  To which my mom would respond, "That's funny; they never let me do that."  I'm sure 98% of the time I was blowing smoke, but I'm also sure my grandparents were more lenient with me than they were with my mom.  It makes sense; it's a different role than being a parent.

Edited by Bastet
(edited)

Too many parents give in and don't teach their kids that no means no. The kids end up suffering because they're such brats nobody wants to play with them.

I had one real tantrum that I can remember, and the degree to which I embarrassed my mother made me so ashamed. That, and I realized that  my reaction did not suit the matter at hand. I would not die if I did not get the thing. My life would not cease to be. Yes, the thing would make me happy, but other things would too. I was a really serious kid, and tantrums weren't typical for me. 

My brother-in-law used to say he was "baby-sitting"  for his kids on weekends when his wife worked.  He never understood when my response was that his wife "babysat" during the week while he worked.

My dad was like this with myself and my brother, and it really contributed to my mom's stress-level. I'm not close to my dad, either, because I understand her frustration. Kids also sense it when you feel inconvenienced by them. But the weirdest part? Now that my brother has children of his own, my mom supports the idea of my brother only doing "daddy duty" and talks about all of my sister-in-law's responsibilities in terms of childcare. My mother is a very "boys will be boys" person, and has always tried to convince me that women should just accept it. It's a really strange and damaging philosophy.

Edited by AltLivia
(edited)

I used to tell my kids how I expected them to behave when we went somewhere and told them the consequences if they didn't.

It worked wonders but they also knew that no meant no and that having a fit would get them nothing. Having a fit or misbehaving resulted in their favorite thing being taken away until they earned it back.

Kids learn really fast when they know that no means no. To a lot of kids, no means no unless they scream loud enough. Kids learn that fast too.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2
(edited)
I'm sure I'd like your accent, though.  And most of what you say (especially if you use "bless your heart" as an insult).  Just not that!

In Tennessee, where I live, "bless your heart" is used as an expression of derision.  Bless your heart is the same as you pathetic dumbass, how in the hell can you walk and chew gum at the same time?  Being the polite Southerners that we are, we sugarcoat our insults!

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 2
(edited)

Just read through this whole thread!

Have to toss in a couple of mine...not meaning to offend anyone but just my experience...

I like dogs, I really do, but I can't stand it when people stroll into restaurants with their dogs!  I don't care if it's on a leash or being carried (carrying is even worse, imagine the germs).  You shouldn't need a sign to tell you pets aren't allowed in a place where food is served, even takeout food.  I just saw this the other day and the guy was just oblivious to the idea there was anything wrong with this, even though his girlfriend/wife then showed up and could have ordered for them...

And worse than that, people at work who will not. shut. up. ever and who are loud about it. I used to work in a job which required great concentration and one of these people decided to work right next to me ... and even worse is when the boss does nothing about it.

That's all I have at the moment :)

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

I used to tell my kids how I expected them to behave when we went somewhere and told them the consequences if they didn't.

My mother was this way with my sisters and me (I'm the oldest of three; my sisters are three and four years younger). I distinctly remember that when we would go to a store, which wasn't often, she would brief us outside: "Stay right behind me; don't touch anything; don't say anything." I had a respect and healthy fear. Lots of times if she was just running into the bank or something fast, she would just leave us in the car. Of course, not if it was broiling out, and I was old enough to remember it, so I wasn't a toddler. This was in the late 1970s, when people didn't care what you did to your kids. They'd turn out mostly okay no matter what you did.
(edited)

The other day I ranted about random strangers telling me to smile. Some of you felt the same way, and I thought you'd get a good laugh out of this video.

All that follows the call to women everywhere, because “a random man has life advice,” is great, but my favorite part is in the beginning when he first tells her to smile:

“Do I know you?”

“No.”

“But you’re telling me what to do with my face?”

Who is the actor playing that woman?  I know I've seen her in something.  (Never mind; I found info about the theatre troupe and looked her up.  I think I recognize her from commercials in which she played annoying characters.)

Edited by Bastet

Newscasts that show the lead of an interesting story have an annoying habit of saving the juicy details for a later time that day as in, "See the exclusive interview at 10:00!"  Damnit, I want to see it now, not when you want to show it!  Usually, I go online and see it in its entirety usually being disappointed in what's delivered. 

• Love 1

OK I'm back with some more Pet Peeves:

3. People who write 100$ vs. the correct $100 (or whatever denomination).

5. People who use would/could/should of vs. the correct would/could/should have (or the equally correct contraction forms of those words)--I know the second word sounds like "of" most of the time, but it really isn't that word.

Was there a new rule about how to represent price. Recently I've started seeing people write 100$. I'd never seen it before this year.

On the could of/could have issue, I'm wondering if, sometimes, we're hearing "could've," which sounds like "could of." I know I say it that way, although I know that "could of" is not real.

Add me to the when/whenever hate, mostly because it seems to have become popular recently, and I already couldn't stand the first person who I heard mixing the words up.

I'm so proud of the men - and their wives - in my family for never ever saying that they were babysitting their own children. The sad thing is that I mostly hear women saying the daddy duty thing.

On the could of/could have issue, I'm wondering if, sometimes, we're hearing "could've," which sounds like "could of." I know I say it that way, although I know that "could of" is not real.

I think - although I may be projecting because it is one of my peeves - the poster was referring to seeing "could've" written as "could of."  There are things I assume many people have heard said but never seen written, and thus may logically spell wrong (it's why I'm not annoyed by "per say" for "per se" ... unless the person writing it is among the group who also doesn't know what it means, never mind how it's spelled).  But "could've" and "should've"? 

Of course! I was referring to hearing it. It just dawned on me the other day. I'm somewhat judgmental about the way people speak, and I should probably stop saying it the way that I do, because it still sounds wrong. 

And "fixing to (do something)" doesn't necessarily mean you are actually preparing to do whatever it is right now. Sometimes it means you're thinking about it and will do it after you think about it. In those instances, it's often said in a rather exasperated tone of voice that comes from being told over and over again that you need to do something (like clean your room, for instance -- I think I said, "I'm fixing to!" many times as a child in just that situation).

I have no idea of the accuracy of this page (probably pretty low), but I found the discussion about "fixing to" interesting any way.

I only have one problem with your fixins for fried chicken: You don't have any mashed potatoes and gravy. Also, the fixins should probably include iced tea, preferably sweet.

• Love 1

Was there a new rule about how to represent price. Recently I've started seeing people write 100$. I'd never seen it before this year.

Add me to the when/whenever hate, mostly because it seems to have become popular recently, and I already couldn't stand the first person who I heard mixing the words up.

I'm so proud of the men - and their wives - in my family for never ever saying that they were babysitting their own children. The sad thing is that I mostly hear women saying the daddy duty thing.

As far as I know, they haven't changed the "rule" about how to write US dollar amounts. When I learned how to do that in school, I was told--along with all my classmates--the $ goes before the numerical amount. But, lately, I've also been seeing people write the numerical amount, then the $. Because of the way we say dollar amounts ("100 dollars"), I suppose I could see where some people would think the $ goes after the numerical amount, but it doesn't as far as I know, & never has.

As for the "would've/would have/would of" thing (& this answer is for Bastet too), I sort of meant people write "would (could, should) of" for both "would (could, should) have" & the contraction "'ve" form as well, based on the way they talk. But I suppose it's primarily a problem with the contraction form, as opposed to the 2 word, "would/could/should have", form.

BBQ with all the fixins.

So you know it is BBQ, slaw, baked beans, hushpuppies, nanner pudding. 

Fixins is a wonderful word.

Nanner is a wonderful adjective!  I've heard it pronounced that way my whole life, but never seen it spelled how it is pronounced.

Pronounced and pronunciation piss me off.  There's probably a little known rule why they drop the "o", but it doesn't make sense to me nor do I ever remember to do it.  I always have to check the correct spelling of both words because I know one is "ou" and the other "u" but can never remember which is which!

None of the rules for grammar they taught in school ever stuck.  The only grammer rules I remember are from Grammar Rock / School House Rock.  Oddly, I spent my entire professional career writing long ass reports and loan recommendations (commercial loans so these things went on for 30 pages).  Profressional writing I was good at - in fact, I was the go to person for reviewing other people's work.  I couldn't tell you what was wrong with what you wrote, but I could tell you how to fix it.  And as one co-worker said to me "you can make the most awful thing sound decent despite telling all the ugly facts".  My proudest and most widely adopted term was referring to the wide spread economic fallout from the dotcom crash (around 2000) in the Bay Area as a "market correction".

StewedSqaush, you're killing me! I'm on a low carb diet and all that molasses, or even better cane syrup, and biscuits and potato salad......!!

On to my next pet peeve: I cannot stand celebrities who whine about their jobs, especially those that boo-hoo about typecasting. Guess what, Rich Celebrity? Millions of us do the same boring job every day for weeks-months-years-decades for a mere fraction of the millions you get. So, Celebrity...STFU.

• Love 4

And can it be true that they are working 18-hour days?  Or are they waiting around in a makeup trailer for 17 hours then acting for an hour?  I recently read Candice Bergen's second memoir and she lost me when she talked about how she earned all her money with work (as if most people made hundreds of dollars an hour for modeling) and got "only" six weeks hiatus per year from doing a television series.

• Love 1

On to my next pet peeve: I cannot stand celebrities who whine about their jobs, especially those that boo-hoo about typecasting. Guess what, Rich Celebrity? Millions of us do the same boring job every day for weeks-months-years-decades for a mere fraction of the millions you get. So, Celebrity...STFU.

I know, right? I do appreciate when a celebrity will give the disclaimer, "I have absolutely no right to complain about my job. I play for a living, and I asked for this life, but..." auditioning sucks," or "waiting to hear if you get cut from your team sucks," or "having the paparazzi hang around my child's school sucks."

• Love 1

Telemarketing calls and calls where no one answers when you pick up.  Not sure the Do Not call registry has done one bit of good for me.

I have now taken to keeping a whistle near the phone.  When a call comes in that no one says anything when I answer, I blow the whistle as loudly as I can.

• Love 6

How about "nother" used as if it's a proper word? 

The expression is either "another day" or "a whole other day".  It's not "a whole nother day".  

Pet peeve 2:  The man hug.  Men are so afraid that touching another man might feel good that they have to slap each other on the back while doing it, as some sort of aversion therapy. 

I have been registered on the DNC list forever and I regularly check to make sure my number is actively registered. It doesn't do a damn thing. My only phone is my cell phone, which no robo-callers or telemarketers, etc. are supposedly allowed to call, but again, that doesn't really matter.

Pet peeve 2:  The man hug.  Men are so afraid that touching another man might feel good that they have to slap each other on the back while doing it, as some sort of aversion therapy. 

I hate the man hug! Don't dare show your brah affection or you'll catch the gay!

How about "nother" used as if it's a proper word? 

The expression is either "another day" or "a whole other day".  It's not "a whole nother day".

To justify "a whole nother," which I do say, I've started likening it to "abso (your choice of swear or pseudoswear word) lutely" or "fan (your choice of swear or pseudoswear word) tastic," neither of which I really say and don't like all that much, but it doesn't bother me too much when people do.

Regarding the grandparents disciplining/not disciplining:

Is it a cultural thing? Because growing up, my grandparents did discipline us (four of us, me and my sister, and our cousins, brothers (my mom's brother's kids) whenever we misbehaved.  We did live close to each other--in the same apartment complex, but far enough that it was a 10 minute walk.  Well, that's not strictly true--my sister, who is the youngest, and who was spoiled, NEVER got disciplined/punished. Because she was the "baby."

And my grandparents lived with my uncle. They were my mom's parents. Nuclear family is the term, right? 

Anyhoo, I agree, that I, at least was a good girl, because my mom had 'that look' that I swear would smote me if I dared to rebel. She didn't need to yell.  And there were times my father would take care of us, or cook, and he NEVER referred to it as babysitting, or daddy duty. He just did it with no qualifiers or explanations.  He's a very good cook, so they both took turns.  But then my great aunt (my mom's aunt) came to live with us, and she took over the cooking as both my parents worked.

BUT, when we wanted MEAT,  my dad would cook.  And I LIVED for the times when he would make his Chicken Curry! YUM!

Regarding the grandparents disciplining/not disciplining:

Is it a cultural thing? Because growing up, my grandparents did discipline us (four of us, me and my sister, and our cousins, brothers (my mom's brother's kids) whenever we misbehaved.  We did live close to each other--in the same apartment complex, but far enough that it was a 10 minute walk.  Well, that's not strictly true--my sister, who is the youngest, and who was spoiled, NEVER got disciplined/punished. Because she was the "baby."

Could be. We didn't live near my grandparents, but did each go by ourselves (one at a time) to visit one set for a week each summer. I can't speak for my brothers, but I was generally pretty well behaved there anyway. I was a very quiet child and didn't like to ask for stuff or run off and do stuff on my own. Also, they lived on a farm, so there was always something to do, and it was the 70s, so none of it involved technology, except when we got to watch TV in the evening, but even that wasn't much, what with only have 3-4 channels. I was the first granddaughter on that side, though, after five grandsons, so, yeah, my grandmother spoiled me a little.

With Papaw, a lot of what amazed my mother was the way he would play games at the table, pretending to steal our food and poking at us. When she was little, mealtimes were very serious and not a time for any play at all, so she couldn't believe he initiated games at the table with us.

My grandkids are well behaved so I never have to punish. Being grandma the punishment would probably be only one donut for dinner but whatever.

My granddaughter has said she wished she lived here. I explained her experience over here would be very different if she lived with me.

Right now I am really frustrated, I don't drive right now for because my anxiety has gotten very bad.  We have a crappy bus system in my city.  It gets embarrassing to always ask for a ride.  I am just a little overwhelmed right now.

My pet peeve is that so many businesses, doctor's offices and government agencies have moved to the out skirts of town.  Why this need to keep building so far out.  It is prime farmland for one.  Are there no city limits?  I am perplexed and it does affect my life.  How do elderly people get to their doctors appointments.  I don't give blood anymore because it is way out there. 

Sorry If i am not completing my thoughts. I am so UPSET about this.  And I don't even want to think of the environmental issues.  I do think we deserve our demise if people insist on driving large vehicles and only cary one passenger.  I am just distraught right now.

• Love 2

I completely understand. I live in a large city that has bus and even light-rail service, but if you really want to get anywhere outside of the central city, you need to be able to drive.

I was out of work with severe depression for quite a while and dealt with anxiety about driving to appointments and such. It has subsided a bit, but I just rear-ended another car in heavy traffic on my commute to downtown the other morning, and I'm anxious again. I take Xanax (for other reasons, too), but that doesn't take it all away and it's also not for everyone nor a necessarily long-term solution.

Maybe take Uber to the bus or all the way to your appointments? Coworkers use Uber often, but I don't know if it's only in more metropolitan areas. It could get expensive, but I understand it's cheaper than a traditional taxi.

• Love 1

To justify "a whole nother," which I do say, I've started likening it to "abso (your choice of swear or pseudoswear word) lutely" or "fan (your choice of swear or pseudoswear word) tastic," neither of which I really say and don't like all that much, but it doesn't bother me too much when people do.

Yes, but you realize you are making up a word.  Sadly, most people who say "nother" truly believe it to be a word.

(edited)

StewedSqaush, you're killing me! I'm on a low carb diet and all that molasses, or even better cane syrup, and biscuits and potato salad......!!

I know!  I'm on a diet too and that talk is making me hungry (and you didn't even mention the nanner pudding!).

The whole discussion about the use of 'fixin' to' is interesting.  I grew up (and still live) in an area where "fixin'" to do something was used a lot.  However, if you weren't going to do whatever it is right away, then you would say that you were 'fixin' to get ready' to do something!  (I used to have a friend who had a fairly heavy German accent.  The day that she said--in that accent--that she was "fixin'" to do something, we all laughed and told her that she had finally become a true southerner.)

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

Hi applecrisp, I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through with the transit situation and amenities being moved out to the fringes. I also can't drive right now and can empathize with the crappy feeling of being dependent on others for rides, or else pay an arm and a leg for taxis or car service. I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

• Love 1
(edited)

Applecrisp, I feel you. Since my accident and 6 surgeries, my driving days are over. I'm not able to walk to the bus stop and I hated asking for rides.

Maybe you can do like I did. I signed up for my city's para transit. It's a part of the city bus system. They come to my door, pick me up, take me anywhere I want to go then bring me home and it's only $4.00 round trip.

It doesn't have to be physical ailments. Maybe your city offers something similar.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

Another pet peeve:

When (normally) cable news networks continue to call a story (such as the Charleston, SC church massacre) "Breaking News" beyond an hour, or maybe 2, into the story.

I feel like, once the story gets past a couple of hours old it should--more correctly--be referred to as a "Developing Story" (& CNN, once upon a time, actually had a screen title card reading "CNN Developing Story", but they didn't seem to use it for very long).

Today's the day (or second day) after the Charleston Church Massacre & cable networks like CNN are still referring to it, on air, as "breaking news" (even though the story's been around too long to be "breaking news" now) & that just grates. Especially as I got my college degree in Radio-TV-Film, though I don't work in the field/industry.

• Love 3

Today's the day (or second day) after the Charleston Church Massacre & cable networks like CNN are still referring to it, on air, as "breaking news" (even though the story's been around too long to be "breaking news" now) & that just grates. Especially as I got my college degree in Radio-TV-Film, though I don't work in the field/industry.

Did you by any chance get that degree at U of Maryland?  I ask because I majored in R-TV-F there, and that's the only school I've seen that listed the major that way. Other schools, it was usually Mass Communications or Mass Media, or one of the three but not all three.  And I agree about the cutoff time for what is breaking news.  

Did you by any chance get that degree at U of Maryland? I ask because I majored in R-TV-F there, and that's the only school I've seen that listed the major that way. Other schools, it was usually Mass Communications or Mass Media, or one of the three but not all three. And I agree about the cutoff time for what is breaking news.

Nope. I went to a combined Regional Campus for Indiana & Purdue Universities--my degree is through Purdue--in Northeast Indiana. I graduated in Spring, 1985.

I don't know what they've called the major since I graduated, but when I was in the program it was definitely Radio-TV-Film, offered through the Communications Department at the local campus (& I can't remember which school--IU or PU--ran/runs the Com Department, overall, but the Radio-TV-Film degree (BA) was conferred by the main campus of Purdue in West Lafayette; our campus was kinda wonky--the different overall departments were run by 1 main school or the other, but I don't think all the degrees in each department [except maybe for the Music ones, which were pretty strictly an Indiana U thing], were conferred by the university which ran the department overseeing the major; I think each department, except Music, had some IU degrees & some PU degrees).

• Love 1

Another pet peeve:

When (normally) cable news networks continue to call a story (such as the Charleston, SC church massacre) "Breaking News" beyond an hour, or maybe 2, into the story.

I feel like, once the story gets past a couple of hours old it should--more correctly--be referred to as a "Developing Story" (& CNN, once upon a time, actually had a screen title card reading "CNN Developing Story", but they didn't seem to use it for very long).

I think that they need to bring back that "developing story" label for when stories are a few hours old, because "breaking news" to me sounds ridiculous to have on a story that's more than a few hours old (IOW, if I'm not mistaken, "breaking" means that you just got the first word of what happened in a story and you're bringing it to the attention of your viewers for the first time).