Type keyword(s) to search

Anika Calhoun: Boo-Boo Kitty

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Here's the thread for Empire Records' A&R Chief Anika Calhoun, who's involved with label founder Lucius Lyon personally as well as professionally. Then there's the Cookie Factor. While Cookie underestimates Anika-hence the nickname "Boo-Boo Kitty"-since Anika's a sorority girl, something tells me that she's a force to be reckoned with.

• Love 1

I think she is gorgeous with her little halle jr looking self but so far her character is boring

honestly it would be cool if she and Taraji switched roles honestly her role seems so  stereotypical

I want to like Anika, as a smart businesswoman and someone who can keep Luscious' attention. Then she goes all sitcom-y with the 'oh, you dropped by? Sorry I'm practically nude--because I'm banging your ex-husband now!' and the passive-aggressive under the breath stuff, like in the elevator, culminating in the mean girl-flavored ' you're oooold' crap at the end of the episode. Maybe it's because I'm so oooold, but maybe Cookie isn't the problem, but Anika. The stories of happy divorces include the wives finding a place in the family. Maybe Anika thought she took over Cookie's place, not her role? That's why she could be feeling insecure?

By the by, that black bra was gorgeous. Wish I could afford one.

• Love 2

I want to like Anika, as a smart businesswoman and someone who can keep Luscious' attention. Then she goes all sitcom-y with the 'oh, you dropped by? Sorry I'm practically nude--because I'm banging your ex-husband now!' and the passive-aggressive under the breath stuff, like in the elevator, culminating in the mean girl-flavored ' you're oooold' crap at the end of the episode. Maybe it's because I'm so oooold, but maybe Cookie isn't the problem, but Anika. The stories of happy divorces include the wives finding a place in the family. Maybe Anika thought she took over Cookie's place, not her role? That's why she could be feeling insecure?

By the by, that black bra was gorgeous. Wish I could afford one.

Hey I'm old too.  I simply don't understand that as an insult.  You're born when you are and getting older is the preferred alternative to dropping dead - so what exactly am I supposed to be apologizing for?

Now to Anika - her mean girliness makes me sad and embarrassed for her.  While I do think she should be a tad insecure because it is increasingly clear that the only thing that kept Cookie from Lucius is prison bars - they were a legit couple, a married couple with kids, and the vein of love seems to still have a strong pulse.  She should be worried.  HOWEVER, there is no reason to act like an ass.  If she were smart she would ENCOURAGE Cookie coming in to reconnect with the boys.  With the boys over at their mother's house (so to speak) she'd have Lucius to herself.   And she should help Lucius compartmentalize his wife (set her up and set her out).  Now she just seems sad and catty.

But who am I kidding - Lucius doesn't love her. 

• Love 7

I want to like Anika, as a smart businesswoman ... culminating in the mean girl-flavored ' you're oooold' crap at the end of the episode.

She also isn't good at math. In what world would Lucious be a 110 when Anika was Cookie's age? Neither Luscious or Cookie are 50 yet. "What the DJ spins" was mega-hit 2002. How is she? -10?
  • Love 3

IRL, there is a 14 year age difference. If they are supposed to have the characters close to, if not actually, the characters' ages, then in 2002, Anika would have been 18 years old. (Grace Gealey was born in 1984, as per IMDb.)  Cookie would have been 32 and is now 44.

Anika is now 30. Mr. Howard is a year or so older than Ms. Henson, so Lucious is 45.  In fourteen years, Anika will be as old as Cookie, but Lu will not be anywhere close to 110, as neciamorris noted.

Wow, insecurity sure makes people stupid.

• Love 5

She also isn't good at math. In what world would Lucious be a 110 when Anika was Cookie's age? Neither Luscious or Cookie are 50 yet. "What the DJ spins" was mega-hit 2002. How is she? -10?

I think that was just part of the insult. She's not actually doing the math, it's just a standard "yo momma so old" line. 

• Love 7

I think that was just part of the insult. She's not actually doing the math, it's just a standard "yo momma so old" line. 

That's the impression I got as well.  Pure hyperbole, but she's not very good at it.

• Love 2

By prancing around in her drawers like she was in the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show,  Anika showed her ass in more ways than one. She also showed her insecurity what Cookie & Lucius are concerned. Now that Cookie's out of prison, Anika feels the need to mark her territory, hence her "accidentally" interrupting Lucius and Cookie. If Anika was as strong as she thinks she is, she wouldn't let Cookie get to her, whether it's about Lucius or their sons. Anika needs to accept the fact that while Lucius and Cookie aren't married anymore, because of the boys, they will always be part of each other's lives whether she likes it or not.

• Love 3

IIRC, in The Lion in Winter, Alais was Henry's mistress, but due to politicking, was betrothed to Richard because moar land!

If Anika = Alais, are we going to see Anika looking at Andre as another option? Especially after the ALS reveal?

• Love 1

What I loved was Cookie's "That almost made me hot."

Then BooBoo came back with " I aim to please," with a little swag. I sort of hope they can get past their Lucious issues and team up for something. Just to see how fabulous that would be!

• Love 5

I found myself particularly focused on how Anika reacted to Jamal's performance and Lucius' reaction. I think (or hope?) that she is a lot more accepting of Jamal. She and Cookie probably (hopefully) have a similar view of Jamal's musical aspirations. 

I loved her "I know you were in prison for a minute" remark. 

• Love 1

If Lucious isn't careful, Cookie and Anika may end up cordial, if not besties. Not unlike how Elinor and Alais were in The Lion In Winter

I know I tend to go on about the parallels, but I enjoyed the earlier work and enjoyed the ladies' friendship despite the politics at work and the working at cross purposes. With Cookie and Anika also interested in A&R, it's another thing in common. Lucious doesn't have to be their commonality or a source of animosity.

If Lucious isn't careful, Cookie and Anika may end up cordial, if not besties. Not unlike how Elinor and Alais were in The Lion In Winter. .

I definitely do not want Cookie & Boo-Boo Kitty to be besties, or even cordial. I do want them to team up against outside threats, continuing to snipe at each other during their temporary alliance, and then resuming full hostilities when the external threat has been disposed of.

For example, I can see them teaming up to take down Camilla or Tanika should either or hurt Hakeem. There wouldnt be a stitch of weave left after Cookie & Boo-Boo Kitty got through with them. And BBK wouldn't even disturb her pearls.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 5

Anika actually impressed me this week, whether it was her speaking fluent Swedish at Cookie's expense, her hiring a private eye to spy on Cookie or her confrontation with Cookie, proving that she's a worthy opponent. Cookie and Anika would make the best frenemies.

• Love 3

Man, it might be hard, but maybe Anika can come back after intentionally effing with Elle's sobriety?  I truly am not sure.

As the frustrations grew backstage, when Lucious lost his voice for that moment? I could see how aligned in business Andre and Anika are. Granted, Andre feels it's his by right as oldest son and financial caretaker. Yet, Anika seems to be very business-driven herself ( the seemingly OOC Elle sabotage notwithstanding). I think the faintest hints of Anika and Andre shenanigans are being planted.  I could be totally wrong, though. I could see her trying to hurt Lucious by causing all sorts of chaos in his powder keg of a family, though. 

I guess it depends on how he handles Anika seeing Lu & Cookie. Truth or lies. Lucious has cheated on her before, so is this the Cookie that breaks the Boo Boo Kitty's back? *g*  

I found myself particularly focused on how Anika reacted to Jamal's performance and Lucius' reaction. I think (or hope?) that she is a lot more accepting of Jamal. She and Cookie probably (hopefully) have a similar view of Jamal's musical aspirations.

Unfortunately, I think she is just as self centered as Lover Boy Lyon though.  She was mean to Jamal when he played that good song and she said it didn't sound like it was finished.

• Love 2

I was concerned for Anika trying to leave Chez Lyon tonight. Truly.

Yes, Cookie was going off and OTT, but...

Porsha took her cell phone.

Lucious was blocking her physically and putting hands on her.

When folks who arrived to help Anika leave, Lucious was blocking her from getting into a place she deemed safer for herself.

Lucious issues a not-so-veiled threat to her physical well-being.

Don't get me wrong, she was serving up, let's say "bad business practices", no matter the gender. Still.

Lucious bangs whoever whenever however, but Anika supposedly sleeps with Benedetti and the response is to have her fear for her physical safety. Because Business?

Lucious leaves a man/label that he knows is shady and is seen as righteous in his choice. Anika does the same and she is treated as a security threat on par with terrorists. ( "This is war!"-Lucious Lyon, King of Hyperbole)

I am not Anika's biggest fan by miles, but I was yelling at her to run. Lucious handled the news so badly, it was like a primer on How Not To React To Bad News From Anyone.

Then on top of that, to have Benedetti treat her essentially as Lucious did. Maybe Anika needs to find another label and get out of this mess.

• Love 4
(edited)

Honestly, her going to Beretti was one of the least objectionable (to me) things she's done so far.  With her betrayal, frankly, Lucious is reaping what he's sown.  I do think she acted emotionally, in the heat of her anger and hurt, and it will not end well for her. 

It was a good dimension to add to her character that she held back from telling Beretti about Lucious' ALS.  She values her father over revenge.

Edited by Malbec
  • Love 4

I think the threat from Lucious was about business - if Anika planned on telling Beretti about his ALS it would torpedo his IPO - so yeah, she better watch her back on that. If she can play with the big boys, then she can take the consequences - if Anika was a dude, Lucious would have issued the same exact threat.

Anika has a case of "not my fault" with this - she blamed Lucious for making her treacherous - naww Boo Boo Kitty - you were in that all on your own. You drugged a recovering drug addict out of jealousy - you don't get to play the innocent victim card now.

Anika is acting out because Lucious slept with Cookie again - that's it. She was fine as long as she knew about the affair and thought she'd ended it - she was fine marrying him under those circumstances - which is pathetic. But the minute she had to face the fact that Lucious can't quit Cookie (he never will be able to), then she wanted to act all butthurt.

For her, Lucious is a prize she gets to win from Cookie - that's pretty much what he became to her in her tug of war with Cookie. Which is silly.

And if she's out of the frying pan and into the fire, that's her own fault. She made her choices.

I also didn't see Lucious as being abusive - he barely touched her - and the touching he did do is standard prime time tv passionate acting touching. It's not touching based on domestic abuse, imo.

That Anika may be in danger from Lucious is due to her own actions - meaning that if a man did the same, Lucious would have no trouble taking him out.

Also - I couldn't understand Anika talking about how she couldn't take it anymore - take what? Lucious and Cookie had sex twice in 2 days - you tolerated all the other women - what couldn't you take? That you LOST?!?!

• Love 1

Then on top of that, to have Benedetti treat her essentially as Lucious did. Maybe Anika needs to find another label and get out of this mess.

I agree with your concern for her safety in terms of Lucious, but I don't think she got the same treatment from Beretti.  The way I read the scene, he was testing the waters, she drew her line in the sand, and he accepted her response (although he totally lied about it later to poke at Lucious).  I might be optimistic/naïve, though.

Honestly, her going to Beretti was one of the least objectionable (to me) things she's done so far.  With her betrayal, frankly, Lucious is reaping what he's sown.  I do think she acted emotionally, in the heat of her anger and hurt, and it will not end well for her. 

It was a good dimension to add to her character that she held back from telling Beretti about Lucious' ALS.  She values her father over revenge.

I feel the same way.  An interesting question that came up on the Project Fandom podcast was whether she would have held the ALS information back if her father were not involved.  I like to think that she would have kept it back at first, for leverage.  (*cue Nate head tilt.*  Aww, now I miss my show again.)

1) I think the threat from Lucious was about business - if Anika planned on telling Beretti about his ALS it would torpedo his IPO - so yeah, she better watch her back on that. If she can play with the big boys, then she can take the consequences - if Anika was a dude, Lucious would have issued the same exact threat.

[snip]

I also didn't see Lucious as being abusive - he barely touched her - and the touching he did do is standard prime time tv passionate acting touching. It's not touching based on domestic abuse, imo.

That Anika may be in danger from Lucious is due to her own actions - meaning that if a man did the same, Lucious would have no trouble taking him out.

2) Also - I couldn't understand Anika talking about how she couldn't take it anymore - take what? Lucious and Cookie had sex twice in 2 days - you tolerated all the other women - what couldn't you take? That you LOST?!?!

1) I don't think the fear for Anika was particularly domestic-violence based; I think it was due to exactly what you say.  This is the guy who shot a longtime family friend in the face and then spoke at the guy's funeral.  I would have been worried for anyone in her position because Lucious is a dangerous character. 

2) I read it as more that Cookie is a serious threat to Anika personally and professionally, even more so than Anika is to Cookie.  Lucious apologized to Anika, swore he would never sleep with Cookie again, but then turned around and had sex with Cookie the same day(?).  Anika's move, while initially emotional, seemed to be her acknowledging that Lucious was never going to change and she needed to jump ship while she could still salvage something (and get a little revenge).

The debates about Anika as a character (both here and in the latest episode thread) have really gotten me thinking.  While I find her drugging of Elle to be utterly abhorrent (and arguably in character as an impulsive decision that wasn't well-thought-out), I think that there is nuance to her character if you look for it.  Unfortunately, the show doesn't offer a lot of insight or character beats for Anika beyond the "Cookie's nemesis" role that she occupies; perhaps the things that I see are what the actress brings to the table.  Although I don't agree with the view, I can definitely see where some of us are concerned that the show uses Anika to demonize a certain type of black womanhood.  Hopefully, we'll get some more depth to Anika's character or the introduction of another character who isn't presented in such a negative light.

(edited)

I don't know. I kind of liked Anika. I'm tired of the glorification of "hood-ness.". That's why I'm not totally on board the Cookie train.

I like Anika and I don't have a problem with anyone trying to enact revenge on Lucious. I wonder if Anika can get some assistance from Vernon. 

I liked that Anika went full tilt on Empire upon her exit.  Her role in A & R was minimized because she isn't a Lyon, but she had to put in some work that contributed to Empire's bottom line.  I don't blame her for trying to take as many artists as she could with her, especially since the show makes me believe Empire became successful in spite of Lucious. 

I agree with your concern for her safety in terms of Lucious, but I don't think she got the same treatment from Beretti.  The way I read the scene, he was testing the waters, she drew her line in the sand, and he accepted her response (although he totally lied about it later to poke at Lucious).  I might be optimistic/naïve, though.

(snip) Although I don't agree with the view, I can definitely see where some of us are concerned that the show uses Anika to demonize a certain type of black womanhood.  Hopefully, we'll get some more depth to Anika's character or the introduction of another character who isn't presented in such a negative light.

I read the Beretti scenes the same.

I think the show does kind of demonize a certain type of black womanhood, but the show is centered on hip-hop, where "street/hood cred" is valued. Plus, Anika had Cookie's "life," so that was an extra mark against the character. I'll be surprised if she lasts after this season.  Now that she's outside of Empire, I can't see the show suddenly writing her in a MORE compelling manner.          

Edited by ribboninthesky1

Okay, now this is purely speculative but I can't help but wonder when I see a character degraded on screen in the way that Anika has been, is it possible that Lee Daniels has something against Grace since her and Trai came out and got engaged? I can't help but notice the steady degradation of the character since they announced their engagement. I mean last season she proved a force to be reckoned with and this season she's begging at every Lyon's doorstep and doing completely insane OOC things like pushing Rhonda down stairs and it's all just a little too vindictive to believe there isn't something else going on. Thoughts?

Edited by slayer2

That's an interesting theory, I didn't know they were dating in real life. I hate what they have done with her character. I was looking forward to her and Cookie working together but they abandoned ship on that real quick. It does seem like Grace is getting punished but Daniels probably thinks he's giving her great material.

• Love 2

Last season Grace appeared on  Afterbuzz's Empire Aftershow and I got the feeling she was already sort of throwing her hands in the air trying to figure out her characters motivation.  I have to wonder what she is feeling now.

Edited by funkopop

I don't get why Grace would get punished. I mean two characters dating would bring more publicity to the show. Shit, some telanovellas make up shit about two actors dating to get the fans interested.

Neither do I. I also don't see her character as any more low down than she was last season.

Her shock at her father lying for Lucious was particularly strange. I don't find drugging someone who is struggling with addiction as calculating. It was low down and on par with attempting to murder Ronda. Drugging someone could cause an accidental overdose.

• Love 2

I don't get why Grace would get punished. I mean two characters dating would bring more publicity to the show. Shit, some telanovellas make up shit about two actors dating to get the fans interested.

The answer is simple. LOL. Lee Daniels secretly has a "thang" for Trai Byers but the beautiful Grace Gealy got him instead. Pure speculation on why she'd be punished of course.
  • Love 1

The answer is simple. LOL. Lee Daniels secretly has a "thang" for Trai Byers but the beautiful Grace Gealy got him instead. Pure speculation on why she'd be punished of course.

That's my spec too. Based on the fact that I, myself want Trai Byers.

Neither do I. I also don't see her character as any more low down than she was last season.

Her shock at her father lying for Lucious was particularly strange. I don't find drugging someone who is struggling with addiction as calculating. It was low down and on par with attempting to murder Ronda. Drugging someone could cause an accidental overdose.

Exactly! It's like everyone wants Cookie to have a "worthy" nemesis so bad, which is understandable to some degree, that they're willing to construct a version of Anika that has no basis in what we've been shown thus far.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

But it is calculating when you look at her motives.  I absolutely don't agree that it was on par with pushing Rhonda down the stairs.  The "chance" you could cause an accidental overdose when you are hoping to simply make a person too loopy to perform is a far cry from pushing a very pregnant woman down a flight of stairs and hoping you cause the death of her child.  

Last year, dosing Elle got Anika something that she wanted and hurt Cookie more than it would have hurt anyone else.  The more Anika cut off Cookie's career at Empire the faster Cookie would just go away.  If it all had really worked out Anika's way Elle would have gotten on stage, high as a kite and tried to perform which would have really been a mess for Cookie.  It was a calculated plan, Anika worked out exactly when, where and how she would do it for maximum impact and she had a logical goal in mind.

All this Anika right now is a far cry from a calculated person.  She didn't plan to get pregnant with Hakeem's child, that was all an accident, there was no coordinated plan to do that.  Pushing Rhonda down the stairs, what was the end game there?  Assuming that her child will take the place of Rhonda's child? Thats not a calculated move to accomplish a goal.  If anything, pushing Rhonda down the stairs just makes her a figure to elicit sympathy from the Lyon clan.  A better plan would have been for Anika to take them down, and its what last seasons Anika would have done.  She wouldn't have been bothered to push someone down the stairs, because that's not a logical way to get to her goal.  She would have schemed to ruin them both.  This seasons Anika is  a chaotic mess and a far cry from Anika of last season.

• Love 2

I think Anika tried to be calculating last season but failed miserably at it... Her plan with Elle backfired, her plan to turn Portia into a double-agent backfired and her plan with Beretti backfired. 

Looking at the way Anika executed her "plans" last season, I'd say that she's never been far from being a chaotic mess. 

• Love 4

I think Anika tried to be calculating last season but failed miserably at it... Her plan with Elle backfired, her plan to turn Portia into a double-agent backfired and her plan with Beretti backfired. 

Looking at the way Anika executed her "plans" last season, I'd say that she's never been far from being a chaotic mess. 

Even if a plan fails, that doesn't mean that it wasn't calculated.  IIRC, Elle wasn't able to perform, and Elle's performance would have meant that Cookie would have been a force.  But calculated or not, Anika's plans always have to fail because she is the villain.  That doesn't make her plans any less calculated, it just means they haven't worked.  Calculation is in the planning, not always in the result.

• Love 1

From the start of the series Anika has been her own worst enemy.

She foolishly and unnecessarily excised herself from the Lyon inner circle, before becoming a full fledged Lyon, and now she's desperately looking for a way back in.

In short, Anika has no one to blame for her current predicament except Anika.

• Love 1

I will say, it may be a while before anyone figures out that Rhonda was pushed. For all they know she tripped, lost her footing and fell down those stairs. We don't know yet if or rather when she'll regain consciousness and if she'll even remember being pushed. We don't yet know the extent of her injuries, neurological damage etc...

So, they can drag this one out, with Anika even stopping by the hospital for a "friendly" visit.  With the rest of us yelling the truth at the damn tv screen, cause unlike the characters we'll be the only ones who know the truth.

Yep, soap opera writing 101.

Good lord, I feel the torture of this continued story line already, it's going to be bad.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2

I will say, it may be a while before anyone figures out that Rhonda was pushed. For all they know she tripped, lost her footing and fell down those stairs. We don't know yet if or rather when she'll regain consciousness and if she'll even remember being pushed. We don't yet know the extent of her injuries, neurological damage etc...

So, they can drag this one out, with Anika even stopping by the hospital for a "friendly" visit.  With the rest of us yelling the truth at the damn tv screen, cause unlike the characters we'll be the only ones who know the truth.

Good lord, I feel the torture of this continued story line already, it's going to be bad.

I could absolutely see that happening.  Rhonda not remembering she was pushed.  Anika there to help salve the wounds, all the while being helpful and getting in good with the family again.  Anika there with her own child, to bring an "heir" to the table.

Even if a plan fails, that doesn't mean that it wasn't calculated.  IIRC, Elle wasn't able to perform, and Elle's performance would have meant that Cookie would have been a force.  But calculated or not, Anika's plans always have to fail because she is the villain.  That doesn't make her plans any less calculated, it just means they haven't worked.  Calculation is in the planning, not always in the result.

Calculated planning takes into consideration the best way to implement a plan and the ideal timing for it. 

Anika's plans have always been rushed and have failed because they've been poorly executed; in my book that is not the sign of a calculating woman, it's a woman who acts in haste based on her emotions. 

I don't see pushing Rhonda down the stairs as too much of a jump from her season 1 behaviour. 

Really? On what are you basing this on? Not all gay men are attracted to someone cute. He's not all of that. Wouldn't he do better ruining Andre's character? If he ruined Grace's character, it's not like they're going to break up.

I don't think Cookie's a very smart cookie either. She overplayed her hand a lot last season.

No matter what, I will always think that drugging someone is on par with attempt murder. It's not calculating. Neither is sleeping with Hakeem. She's just a hoodrat who can speak proper English.

Edited by Queena
  • Love 1

So, they can drag this one out, with Anika even stopping by the hospital for a "friendly" visit. With the rest of us yelling the truth at the damn tv screen, cause unlike the characters we'll be the only ones who know the truth.

Any other show it would be a continued storyline. This show, it'll be wrapped up within the first 10 minutes of the next episode. ;-)

• Love 1

Really? On what are you basing this on? Not all gay men are attracted to someone cute. He's not all of that. Wouldn't he do better ruining Andre's character? If he ruined Grace's character, it's not like they're going to break up.

I don't think Cookie's a very smart cookie either. She overplayed her hand a lot last season.

No matter what, I will always think that drugging someone is on par with attempt murder. It's not calculating. Neither is sleeping with Hakeem. She's just a hoodrat who can speak proper English.

My problem with Anika has always been this trope that Tyler Perry tends to do.  It's an attitude that if a black person has an education and speaks the "queen's English" they are somehow not to be trusted; but someone who's "hood" is seen as more trustworthy.  To me this is a trope that maybe 150 years ago could have made sense, but no longer does today.  

• Love 2

I am obviously in the minority because I've been enjoying Anika's scheming this season. And I totally get it. She is incredibly bitter about being mistreated by the Lyon family. Think about it: in a matter of months, she goes from being Lucious' partner - professionally and personally - to being cast out of the inner circle completely. That would make any reasonable person lash out - even in ways that don't make sense. And in the hyper-reality that is the Empire-verse, it was practically inevitable.

• Love 3

I still don't get losing her shit like she has because of her education, talents, and family. She's not someone who comes from nothing, had a horrible upbringing and all of sudden came into some stability with the Lyons family, so she may lose her shit and even kill to keep it or get it back. Yeah, not buying Lee Daniels. 

What I expect is for her to say fuck it and think that she's better than all of it. She talks a good game thumbing her nose at ONLY Cookie. But it's not Cookie who she should think she's better than, it's the treatment of Luscious and all the women they alluded to him cheating on her with way before the "EVIL" Cookie came back into the picture. WTF should she put up with that? He ain't all that, sorry, he ain't IMO. Nobody is at the end of the day and  I don't get someone with her background not being able to  get through it. I get her being hurt, angry, seeking revenge, but not becoming this unhinged to the point of ruining her life. 

I think she's killed a baby, I'm going to assume right now that the baby dies.

She's murdered a baby for crying out loud!

All because the Lyon family more so Luscious rejected her... whatever.

I think in Texas, she'd surely get the death penalty for what she's done.

I  mean really, this is not who she is and to let Luscious drive her to this, I have trouble looking at her, I really do.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Except Anika hasn't "lost her shit."

She's aware of her personal and familial wealth and other employment options, but she badly wants to be a part of a close knit family she shortsightedly ditched and a company she invested a lot of her recent life in again.

That's a relatable and human feeling.

• Love 2

but she badly wants to be a part of a close knit family she shortsightedly ditched and a company she invested a lot of her recent life in again.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, it's just not relatable to me. Her response that has now turned into a violent act more than likely murdering a baby, is in no way relatable to me. The hurt feelings of rejection, the revenge plot to take over a company or spy etc. all fine, I can stand by it. But turning into a murderer, no.

Unless you are person who doesn't come from your own tight knit family. And even then I surely can't get behind murder. She needs to be locked up. But that was the point I was trying to make, what on earth is really up with the family she grew up in that she doesn't feel like she has and will ALWAYS have the love and support in them to get her through the tough times? Why does she feel like it's the Lyons or nothing at all because they surely treated her like shit so she should see it as they don't deserve her.  I just don't see the attraction of this family to a character like Anika.  I don't see the attraction to Luscious because he was screwing around on her way before Cookie showed up, she pointed that out on her way out the door. I feel like I am missing something with this character's background. 

That's why I said, and this my perspective, that I could understand her a bit more if she were a person who grew up without a good family or no family at all and finally felt like she had that with the Lyons, thought she was on her way to becoming a "true" Lyon and lost it. That's a person that I could see desperate enough to behave the way she has.  

Edited by represent