Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

I have not read the most recent couple pages, and I do not know if the episode w/ her on the horse has aired yet, I know people have been talking about it already...
but I just joined, specifically to say that I am downright freaking APPALLED that she would be allowed on a horse. Judging by what we see of her mount, he/she is NOT a draft type or even a particularly large animal. literally, I am absolutely HORRIFIED.

I am an avid equestrian, and a professional riding instructor/trainer.
I have worked as an instructor at a facility w/ a therapeutic riding program, and I can absolutely assure you that even for the disabled riders who were just being led around at a walk w/ sidewalkers on each side, we did absolutely NEVER allow anyone who weighed over 20% of the horse's weight to even sit on a horse. We had a lovely Belgian draft mare (who was 18.1-2hh & IIRC weighed in at around ~1900lbs) for larger riders, so we could accommodate a wide range of body types, but still there were definitely times when we were forced to draw a line w/ clients & not allow them on a horse. ETA: we did also have a ramp platform to allow disabled riders to mount the horses w/ greater ease.
I would be interested to know the name of the barn she rode at, because for any barn/owner to allow her on a horse's back is 100% completely unethical behaviour.
Not only would it put the horse at grave risk, but it presents a great potential danger for Whitney herself. As someone that big (and w/ that high a body fat percentage...and that does not have experience riding), it is completely impossible for her to have the necessary balance & core + leg strength to do even the very most basic activities on horseback, especially not w/ anything vaguely resembling competency.

truly, I am just positively enraged that anyone would allow someone of her size & experience level on a horse, especially such a small/finely built one (i.e. not a large draft).
I'm sure TLC paid them no small amount of money to orchestrate this travesty...but jesus christ...how appallingly unethical.

Edited by supaflyskye
  • Love 20
On 1/27/2017 at 9:07 AM, Hana Chan said:

Well, she did that at her college talk when health risks for obesity was brought up by a questioner. She stated very emphatically that thin people can have heart attacks and strokes, which is true. What she deliberately ignores, however, is that among the risk factors listed for all of these diseases, obesity features prominently. 

Whitney actually has multiple risk factors. Besides being extremely obese, she has a history of high blood pressure, early stage diabetes and has already had one cardiac episode that we know of. We don't see much of her diet, but I doubt that she's eating an especially healthy diet and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if her cholesterol was at least on the high side of the normal range. And you can't ignore family medical history. We don't know about her grandparents, but now she's got direct family history of strokes. That just can't be ignored.

Except we know that Whitney will ignore it because it doesn't fit into her narrative. She's going to insist that she's fat and fit up until the instant that she does suffer a significant medical crisis. And even after that, I'll bet that she'll insist that her weight wasn't a factor.

Her argument is like saying there is no reason to wear a seatbelt because people wearing seat belts die in car accidents too. Yes they do. Just like slim, fit people can have heart attacks, strokes, and diabetes. But you wear the seatbelt because you are far less likely to die in an accident than if you don't. And you work on your weight to improve your health and decrease the chances of serious or fatal issues. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 10

Is it me, but does Buddy and Whitney breathe really loudly?  With their mic packs, I can hear them breathing as if they're out of breath just talking.  More Buddy than Whitney.  I couldn't even watch the scene cause it sounded like he was about pass out.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Geekygal16 said:

Is it me, but does Buddy and Whitney breathe really loudly?  With their mic packs, I can hear them breathing as if they're out of breath just talking.  More Buddy than Whitney.  I couldn't even watch the scene cause it sounded like he was about pass out.

It's not just you. My mom was very heavy and were are times when she sounds really out of breath even if she's resting. It may have something to do with the weight pressing on their chests (which would also explain Whitney having sleep apnea). Since Mom lost a good chunk of weight, it's less noticeable.

• Love 4
On 1/29/2017 at 2:30 PM, supaflyskye said:

Not only would it put the horse at grave risk, but it presents a great potential danger for Whitney herself. As someone that big (and w/ that high a body fat percentage...and that does not have experience riding), it is completely impossible for her to have the necessary balance & core + leg strength to do even the very most basic activities on horseback, especially not w/ anything vaguely resembling competency.

I watched the season promo on the TLC site and the shot with the horse is a bit clearer and we can actually see the horse. It is not a draft or draft cross and is far too light to be trying to carry someone of Whitney's weight. 

But I was looking at Whitney's legs and not only couldn't she rotate them so that he feet are facing forward, but she doesn't seem to have her feet in the stirrups at all. Now I can ride without stirrups without problem (and did have to out on the trail when there was a problem with my saddle) because I learned how to both balance myself and use my seat and thighs to keep in contact with the saddle. Hell, I spent hours learning to post without stirrups. But Whitney just is not physically able to get her legs and feet into position and they're just hanging there. You know that she's got no way to keep her balance if that horse decides that it's had enough of lugging her ass around and tries to dump her. 

We see Whitney trying to do so many things that physically just are impossible due to her size. There was another clip of her belly dancing, which for her meant showing off her expansive midriff, balancing a sabre on her head (which isn't that difficult) and moving her belly around. Now to anyone who has any dance experience, her usual stuff is already pretty laughable, but here it's even more noticeable that she has no clue what the hell she's doing. All she's doing is waving her arms slowly and making a slow circle with her hips. There are no isolations and if that woman can do any kind of torso undulation, I'll be shocked to hell. And it's not to say that heavier women can't belly dance properly - the dancer in this video is about my size and she's pretty amazing. But then, she takes it seriously and isn't just bullshitting for a reality show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohAxpboJAs

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

You know that she's got no way to keep her balance if that horse decides that it's had enough of lugging her ass around and tries to dump her. 

OMG, from your lips to God's ears. If that horse immediately shakes Whitney off and she plops onto the ground, I will take back everything bad I have said about TLC, and never stop laughing.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

And it's not to say that heavier women can't belly dance properly - the dancer in this video is about my size and she's pretty amazing. But then, she takes it seriously and isn't just bullshitting for a reality show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohAxpboJAs

Wow - the dancer in that video obviously has been dancing a while and -as you said- takes it seriously. Twit thinks she can just pick it up from scratch without any real training and  "if I move my arms a little and jiggle all my fat, I'll be belly-dancing like a pro!" ... uh. No. It doesn't work that way. I'm pretty sure the dancer in the video woke up that morning and thought to herself "big girls can do anything skinny girls can do so I'm going to put on a belly dancing costume and go belly dance in front of this audience". Pretty sure it took a lot more work and dedication than that. Notice, in the BGDC when they do the "circle" all Twit ever does is get out there and move her arms and jiggle her fat. That's NOT dancing. Not. Dancing. 

Buddy does a better job at doing yoga than Twit does at dancing. That's all I'm saying. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

Twit thinks she can just pick it up from scratch without any real training and  "if I move my arms a little and jiggle all my fat, I'll be belly-dancing like a pro!" ... uh. No.

There are many styles of belly dancing and the style that Whitney seems to think she's doing is a slower one that is based on total control over one's body and one's movement. That you can balance something on your head (a sabre is common, but I've seen dancers with things like firepots and lit candelabras on their head) while doing these insane and controlled undulations and hip swivels and going down to your knees and even into back bends. It's incredibly difficult and the key is about being able to isolate the parts of your body that are doing all the movement so that you can keep your prop balanced.

What it's not about is standing in one place, doing a little wiggle of your hips and slowly waving your arm like a car dealership wind dummy. Unfortunately it's a dance form that doesn't get a ton of respect and people think that it's really easy to learn to do (when it's actually quite difficult and takes a huge amount of core strength. This is a nice example that I found on YouTube.

Another point that has me irked is the costume. It looks like a cheap Halloween knock off of what a dancer would actually be wearing. It has no fringe or tassels or hanging coins that help show off the body movements.  And there's absolutely no need for her to be that bare. There are quite a few costume styles which gives a bit more cover and is not only flattering, but draws attention to the movements (which is what the dance is all about. One costume that I particularly like is the Beledi style (used for Egyptian folkstyle dancing). There's no need for her to be as bare as she was except for her usual exhibitionism.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 9

In watching older clips of Whitney it did look like she had some ability which has since been lost due to her size. As some of you have already said, what she's doing now is nothing more than glorified aerobics. 

And yeah, belly dancing doesn't get respect. It's hard! I trained in college and what Whitney does is laughable. Embarrassing to the art.

• Love 5

I don't think Whitney would be any better of a dancer if she was smaller. As several have said, these skills take hard work and dedication to learn and perfect. She doesn't have that kind of work ethic. So thin or fat she's going to look like a hot mess trying to belly dance. 

• Love 10

This is such a silly little thing but I can't stand the TLC promo commercials where Whitney spins/dances off on the side.  Is that seriously the best move of hers they could catch on camera??  It's so sloppy and pointless, it rubs me the wrong way every time I have to watch it!

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

This is such a silly little thing but I can't stand the TLC promo commercials where Whitney spins/dances off on the side.  Is that seriously the best move of hers they could catch on camera??  It's so sloppy and pointless, it rubs me the wrong way every time I have to watch it!

I hate her stupid "one hand in the sky, other hand on the hip" pose she does like she's on Big Fat Toddlers And Tiaras.

• Love 12
53 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Punch my ticket on the bus to hell but all I can think of is the dancing hippo on Fantasia when I see it. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Oh that bugs me too! Glad I'm not the only one. 

• Love 4

Same, you would think if someone were going to perform one simple step that is literally one of the first ones taught to preschoolers, that she could have not done it sloppy... but who need technique when you are Whitney.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Same here - it looks to me as if she's about to stumble. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

I hate it too. So much. And she looks so greasy. Why wouldn't she at least wash her hair before filming?

I have to agree with the multiple posts about Whitney and her dancing if you can call it that. She really just jiggles around making faces and nothing more. She's not actually moving most of the time. Example, I can't twerk because I have nothing to bounce. I've seen women with big perfect butts that can twerk with minimal body movement because their big butts bounce really good and it looks amazing. I'm not saying that all big butts can twerk and all little butts can't. But it's a hell of a lot easier when you have something to jiggle. And all Whitney does is jiggle her fat and bounce it around.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

And she looks so greasy. Why wouldn't she at least wash her hair before filming?

I really do not understand Whitney's horrible personal hygiene. I don't expect people to be dolled up from sunup to sundown, but she is frequently shown on camera with very greasy hair and skin, dirty clothes on, no makeup (which isn't by itself a problem, but it's just a collective LOOK), extension tape showing in her hair...she just looks like she smells bad. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I really do not understand Whitney's horrible personal hygiene. I don't expect people to be dolled up from sunup to sundown, but she is frequently shown on camera with very greasy hair and skin, dirty clothes on, no makeup (which isn't by itself a problem, but it's just a collective LOOK), extension tape showing in her hair...she just looks like she smells bad. 

I also noticed the extension piece. She definitely has thinning hair and extensions are one way to go but she doesn't hide them well. 

5 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

And now half of her hair is blonde which looks really trashy.

I actually think it looks okay (when it's not dirty looking). The ombre look has been popular for a while now. 

• Love 3

It's one of those aspects of being morbidly obese that she displays, but doesn't seem to care about. When you are that heavy, it's hard work to hold your arms over your head to shampoo or  operate a hair dryer or a curling iron. It's hard to shower (and we've already seen Whitney injure herself in the process) and to bend over and pull on leggings or tie shoes (and we've already seen Whitney asking for help or going barefoot in inappropriate settings - like the gym.) Whitney being Whitney, she appears proud to announce she hasn't showered whenever she has the opportunity to do so. Because isn't BO fabulous?

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 9

The lack of personal hygiene seems to be the only thing somewhat real this season. After watching 600lb life I really don't know how she gets herself showered & cleaned up, since it appears she can't really reach over her belly. So often they need help from others to get into the rolls for them with deodorant, powders, etc.  Maybe Donna is obliging.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

The lack of personal hygiene seems to be the only thing somewhat real this season. After watching 600lb life I really don't know how she gets herself showered & cleaned up, since it appears she can't really reach over her belly. So often they need help from others to get into the rolls for them with deodorant, powders, etc.  Maybe Donna is obliging.

It's sadly true. I wonder if it occurs to Whitney that when you get so large that you cannot clean yourself properly, that maybe your life stops being fabulous and starts being depressing.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

It's sadly true. I wonder if it occurs to Whitney that when you get so large that you cannot clean yourself properly, that maybe your life stops being fabulous and starts being depressing.

I doubt it. She probably bought the Shiney Hiney and feels as "fabulous" as the way-too chipper woman in the commercial. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I doubt it. She probably bought the Shiney Hiney and feels as "fabulous" as the way-too chipper woman in the commercial. 

I don't know what this is, but it sounds like a bidet of some sort and I am afraid to Google it ;)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

Whitney being Whitney, she appears proud to announce she hasn't showered whenever she has the opportunity to do so. Because isn't BO fabulous?

She appears to think she's being cutesy and "real" when she makes declarations like this. It's like people who have tons of makeup on, a nice outfit, and amazing hair and then offhandedly remark that they "just" threw something on and ran out the door. A humblebrag. The problem is, these only work if your appearance indicates the opposite. It would be one thing if Whitney looked polished and smelled like a daisy. She'd demurely state that she hadn't showered and everyone would go, "Really! We couldn't tell!" When you stink to high heaven and your hair and face have enough oil for the Krusty Krab, however, it doesn't garner quite the same reaction. Yea Whitney. We knew you hadn't showered. We smelled you from the sidewalk. 

1 minute ago, ClareWalks said:

I don't know what this is, but it sounds like a bidet of some sort and I am afraid to Google it ;)

Don't let fear hold you back! The shiney hiney (which looks like a toilet bowl cleaner with a disposable tip) has the most awesome commercial EVER. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

She appears to think she's being cutesy and "real" when she makes declarations like this. It's like people who have tons of makeup on, a nice outfit, and amazing hair and then offhandedly remark that they "just" threw something on and ran out the door. A humblebrag.

You know what's sad? That only works with REAL celebrities. Like, oh, she's so relatable, Jennifer Lawrence is just like us! Whitney, you ain't Jennifer Lawrence. You are a slovenly woman with no talent who is only a tiny bit known because you let TLC film you without pants on for a few thousand dollars. Whitney seems to have confused herself with a real celebrity, probably because her fans act like she is soooo famous and amazing. Sad! </Trump>

• Love 7

I am downright freaking APPALLED that she would be allowed on a horse. Judging by what we see of her mount, he/she is NOT a draft type or even a particularly large animal. literally, I am absolutely HORRIFIED.

I am sympathetic to Whitney (which I know is not the trending opinion on this thread). She is showing the challenges faced by the super morbidly obese that are not always understand by individuals in the normal weight ranges.

However, I am alarmed by Whitney's attempt at horseback riding, because her size risks an injury to the horse.  At nearly 400 pounds, she would require a horse who weighs 2,000 pounds to spare the poor beast from injury. For perspective: today, the massive Clydesdale horses who are the iconic symbol of Budweiser are  16 to 18 hands (64 to 72 inches, 163 to 183 cm) high and weighs 1,800 to 2,000 pounds (820 to 910 kg). Some mature males are larger, standing taller than 18 hands and weighing up to 2,200 pounds (1,000 kg).

Edited by grayson
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, lovetheduns said:

Holy cow on her No Body Shame store she sells "fashion"?

http://nobodyshamestore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_73

On her live video that was on FB where she was showing her fashion line, I swear she wasn't even wearing a sports bra.

Gross

In looking at some of the pieces, they aren't bad--people of her size need something, right? 

Too bad Whitney doesn't wear those pieces more often..........

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

In looking at some of the pieces, they aren't bad--people of her size need something, right? 

Too bad Whitney doesn't wear those pieces more often..........

A couple were just beyond tacky.

Though I had to pause and re-evaluate why it just turned me off so much. It just feels like she is trying to find any way possible to make a dime off of her "fame" and the people who just are so... in awe of her.

The No BS campaign I didn't think was bad - like having sweatshirts or t-shirts, but then the pure random tschokes (the power bar, the journal notebook, umbrella, tote bags) and then the random fashion garb is just so... weird and off-putting to me.

• Love 1

How much does Whitney weigh?  She's knows she's big, right?  She has a reality show called "My Big Fat Fabulous Life".  Why is she crying when a guy says good thing she's on radio and not on camera?  I'm not saying the guy wasn't an ass, but I'd think she'd have thicker skin to be in the public eye.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I really do not understand Whitney's horrible personal hygiene.

Maybe she's gotten to 600 Lb Life "shower scene" fitness level.
I haven't watched the last few shows, but I've been reading here to decide when and if to resume.  I may try this one, and delete the others.

3 hours ago, lovetheduns said:

Though I had to pause and re-evaluate why it just turned me off so much. It just feels like she is trying to find any way possible to make a dime off of her "fame" and the people who just are so... in awe of her.

That's how I felt about her videos, which they reduced the for, and I think sent refunds.
She made it seem like you were getting so many discs, but it was really like 2 discs, with just a bunch of segments.  It seemed designed to deceive.

• Love 2

Well, my mother is now officially on the Whitney hate train (thanks to me). She used to like the whole "life your life without shame" mantra, but it's gotten really perverted into an excuse to avoid dealing her weight and health issues. My mom is just an inch taller than Whitney and weighs over a hundred and twenty pounds less (if Whitney's reading at the doctor's office this week can be trusted) and she's had major issues with her hips and knees that are due in a large degree to her weight. However good Whitney thinks she feels right now, she's going to be crippled in ten or twenty years.

12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm not thin . . . and I'm always interested in finding cute things to wear.  After looking at the "fashion" items on that page, I'm still looking.

The problem for someone like Whitney is that even the plus size retailers (like Lane Bryant and Avenue) do have an upper limit on what sizes they carry. Lane Bryant goes up to a size 28 and Avenue carries up to a 26. There are some on-line retailers that will carry extended plus sized clothing and I think that Catherine's is one of them. But there is stuff out there beyond spandex leggings and tank tops. You just have to look a bit harder for them.

Whitney's "taste" in clothing is only partly due to what's available (because she is lazy and doesn't try to look). It's partly comfort, as leggings have some give and prevent the dreaded chub rub, but I also think it's exhibitionism. She likes to show off her body. We almost never see her wearing something that actually fits (and I learned long ago I will look slimmer in clothes that actually fit and not like I'm squeezed into a sausage casing). Clingy clothes are no plus sized woman's friend and Whitney's are so tight that they're vacuum sealed to her. No clothing will make her look thinner, but stuff that is made from better material and actually has some construction to it will look infinitely more flattering.

• Love 9

I am afraid to know what that is. I want to know. But I am afraid to google it. I am scarred from a recent game of X rated Cards Against Humanity. Don't google blue waffle or docking. I am going to add a note to my will explaining that it was just for the game. Sigh.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

Whitney's "taste" in clothing is only partly due to what's available (because she is lazy and doesn't try to look). It's partly comfort, as leggings have some give and prevent the dreaded chub rub, but I also think it's exhibitionism. She likes to show off her body. We almost never see her wearing something that actually fits (and I learned long ago I will look slimmer in clothes that actually fit and not like I'm squeezed into a sausage casing). Clingy clothes are no plus sized woman's friend and Whitney's are so tight that they're vacuum sealed to her. No clothing will make her look thinner, but stuff that is made from better material and actually has some construction to it will look infinitely more flattering.

I think most of it is for attention. There was a woman on MY 600-POUND LIFE a few weeks ago, a school teacher, and she wore beautiful clothes. We were all impressed to see her out of leggings and shapeless dresses. Those clothes ARE out there but damn if Whitney is going to wear them. Hell, even the few pieces of clothing she wears rarely stays on-she's always stripping down to her sports bra and raising her shirt up for people, even at the radio station. 

• Love 7

I'll never forget the time when Whitless split her "pants" while at the supermarket and made a huge stink about having her rear end hanging out. She responded by hurrying out (with Babs providing rear cover) to the parking lot where she stripped down to her massive pink panties and changed leggings. In the fucking parking lot in full view of everyone.

It doesn't matter what size you are - clothes have to fit. Even stretch pants will give way if they are put under too much strain and Whitney is wearing everything at least one size too small. It's not only unflattering (since all it does is call attention to every dimple, bulge and roll and when you are heavy, you have a lot of those), but you will get a lot of wardrobe malfunctions. Wearing clothing that is well made and well constructed won't make her look like a size ten, but she'll look a million times better (and more put together) than her typical leggings and skin tight tank tops.

And for the Gods sake... buy a decent bra! They make them in her size! Something that will give some support and not have her boobs looking as shapeless as the rest of her. Again, she won't look smaller, but she'll look better.

• Love 9

I am not sure if Whitney is an exhibitionist, or clueless about fashion, or...what I most suspect, which is that she is in denial about what size she ACTUALLY is. Maybe she thinks she doesn't need to work on her weight because she can "find things to wear in stores." Although we see that she is only able to find leggings 2-3 sizes too small (because the stores don't go higher than 3-4X) that are stretched so far they are see-through, and tank tops also stretched to their breaking point. It would be sad, if she weren't so obnoxious. I really think her wardrobe is part of her whole "live in denial" M.O.

• Love 7

Well, she did wear a bikini once and was rolling around the beach to the point that even I'd be cracking jokes about people trying to get the beached whale back into the ocean, and I've been called a whale before. I think she does go out of her way to get attention and even negative attention is good because people are looking at her.

I'm a plus sized lady (though thankfully less plus sized than before). I don't leave my house without my hair clean and brushed, a touch of makeup so that I don't look like a cadaver, and clothes that are clean and fit me. I don't wear leggings unless I'm going for a run or to the gym and I wear proper undergarments under whatever I'm wearing so that I look as good as I can. I have pride in my appearance and wouldn't be caught dead wearing nearly anything I've seen Whitney in.

• Love 13

Because I spend too much time on millennial-heavy websites, I know that part of the fat acceptance movement is #fuckflattering, which basically states that fat women shouldn't care about wearing flattering clothing; let your belly hang out, let your cellulite show, etc. Wearing flattering clothing is conforming to oppressive, patriarchal beauty standards and is the opposite of what a proud, fat feminist would do. So Whitney's really showing how much she fights against the patriarchy by having terrible fashion sense.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

Because I spend too much time on millennial-heavy websites, I know that part of the fat acceptance movement is #fuckflattering, which basically states that fat women shouldn't care about wearing flattering clothing; let your belly hang out, let your cellulite show, etc. Wearing flattering clothing is conforming to oppressive, patriarchal beauty standards and is the opposite of what a proud, fat feminist would do. So Whitney's really showing how much she fights against the patriarchy by having terrible fashion sense.

You know, I am all about being comfortable. I actually enjoy dressing up (dresses, makeup, nice shoes) because it makes me feel good. But I also run around in jeans, flannel shirts, and cowboy boots. I lounge around the house in sweat pants. If people want to dress comfortably, that's their right. However, in some of these cases dressing nicely in something that fits well or appropriately isn't just about the person-it's about respect for the people around you. While I don't think you should live your life for everyone else, I DO believe that a certain amount of appropriateness should be maintained as a level of respect. When I go out to dinner at a nice restaurant, for instance, I dress up because it says, "Hey, you've put a lot of effort into this meal and the decor of this place and I just want you to know that I appreciate that and am doing my part." Or when I worked outside the home and would go to the office, I would wear appropriate business casual attire because that said, both to my boss and co-workers, that I respected the company and took the position seriously. 

Funny. NOT wearing flattering clothing is STILL conforming. Not to the patriarchal beauty standards perhaps, but to the fat acceptance movement. 

• Love 17