Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

Because I spend too much time on millennial-heavy websites, I know that part of the fat acceptance movement is #fuckflattering, which basically states that fat women shouldn't care about wearing flattering clothing; let your belly hang out, let your cellulite show, etc. Wearing flattering clothing is conforming to oppressive, patriarchal beauty standards and is the opposite of what a proud, fat feminist would do. So Whitney's really showing how much she fights against the patriarchy by having terrible fashion sense.

Believe me, I'm a feminist to my core.  But I still believe well-fitted clothing is my basic right.  Twit wouldn't know a well-fitted piece of clothing if it came up and slapped her across her face, flattering or not.  I prefer jeans and tennis shoes to dresses and heels, but whatever I wear better fit, dammit!  LOL

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

Believe me, I'm a feminist to my core.  But I still believe well-fitted clothing is my basic right.  Twit wouldn't know a well-fitted piece of clothing if it came up and slapped her across her face, flattering or not.  I prefer jeans and tennis shoes to dresses and heels, but whatever I wear better fit, dammit!  LOL

Hell, good fitting clothes are just more comfortable! No woman feels good with her boobs hanging to her knees. That shit is hard on your back!

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

Well, she did wear a bikini once and was rolling around the beach to the point that even I'd be cracking jokes about people trying to get the beached whale back into the ocean, and I've been called a whale before. I think she does go out of her way to get attention and even negative attention is good because people are looking at her.

I'm a plus sized lady (though thankfully less plus sized than before). I don't leave my house without my hair clean and brushed, a touch of makeup so that I don't look like a cadaver, and clothes that are clean and fit me. I don't wear leggings unless I'm going for a run or to the gym and I wear proper undergarments under whatever I'm wearing so that I look as good as I can. I have pride in my appearance and wouldn't be caught dead wearing nearly anything I've seen Whitney in.

I didn't feel her bathing suit was that bad - I think of it more as a "two piece" than a bikini - because at her size she really isn't going to look "attractive" in anything, and if she really wanted to go to the beach and the gym to swim and work out, she should be in something comfortable.  But the leggings for a professional job (and the greasy, unwashed hair) have to go!

5 hours ago, mamadrama said:

You know, I am all about being comfortable. I actually enjoy dressing up (dresses, makeup, nice shoes) because it makes me feel good. But I also run around in jeans, flannel shirts, and cowboy boots. I lounge around the house in sweat pants. If people want to dress comfortably, that's their right. However, in some of these cases dressing nicely in something that fits well or appropriately isn't just about the person-it's about respect for the people around you. While I don't think you should live your life for everyone else, I DO believe that a certain amount of appropriateness should be maintained as a level of respect. When I go out to dinner at a nice restaurant, for instance, I dress up because it says, "Hey, you've put a lot of effort into this meal and the decor of this place and I just want you to know that I appreciate that and am doing my part." Or when I worked outside the home and would go to the office, I would wear appropriate business casual attire because that said, both to my boss and co-workers, that I respected the company and took the position seriously. 

Funny. NOT wearing flattering clothing is STILL conforming. Not to the patriarchal beauty standards perhaps, but to the fat acceptance movement. 

She could even wear unflattering clothing, but it should still be appropriate to the venue!  It would not be "fat shaming" for the radio peeps to tell her that leggings and stained t-shirts are not acceptable attire.  I guess it would be more difficult or awkward to also say "You need to bathe before coming in as well."  What do I know - in my career I only had to say those things to 7th graders!  

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, princelina said:

She could even wear unflattering clothing, but it should still be appropriate to the venue!  It would not be "fat shaming" for the radio peeps to tell her that leggings and stained t-shirts are not acceptable attire.  I guess it would be more difficult or awkward to also say "You need to bathe before coming in as well."  What do I know - in my career I only had to say those things to 7th graders!  

Right! Lots of companies have dress codes. 

When I was a social worker we actually had a hygiene clause built into our contract. Because we were working with the public, and going into their homes, we had to dress and even smell appropriately-that meant bathing regularly, using deodorant, and not wearing overpowering perfume (because some people are allergic). Heck, they probably just wish Whit would keep her clothes ON. 

• Love 7

I'm a big woman, not as big as Whitney, but I always shower and wash my hair daily whether I'm going out or not. My clothes are loose and clean because I wouldn't be caught dead in anything body hugging or dirty. I don't go out often, especially in winter because I have bad knees and I'm always afraid of falling. I'm also going on 60, so maybe that's the difference.  When I do go out it's usually to a chain grocery store in a little country village where I've seen people shopping in their pajamas and slippers, but I'm always fresh from a shower, with clean hair, wearing clothes appropriate to my size. Once I was getting a cart (and certainly NOT the little scooter, which I don't care if my knees are bad or not, I would never, ever use) some man came up to me and said, "well aren't you looking nice!". I was taken aback and said  a simple thank you. He may have thought I was someone else, but I loved it. Whitney is young enough to get bypass surgery and get rid of the weight, which she should because she's always crying about something related to her weight. Oh, yeah, but then she wouldn't have "My Big Fat Fabulous Life". At first I loved the show because I felt that it portrayed big women in a good light, but the more I watch, the more ashamed I am of her. The show should be called "My Big Fat Delusional Pathetic Life". 

• Love 24
38 minutes ago, burgerbitz said:

I'm a big woman, not as big as Whitney, but I always shower and wash my hair daily whether I'm going out or not. My clothes are loose and clean because I wouldn't be caught dead in anything body hugging or dirty. I don't go out often, especially in winter because I have bad knees and I'm always afraid of falling. I'm also going on 60, so maybe that's the difference.  When I do go out it's usually to a chain grocery store in a little country village where I've seen people shopping in their pajamas and slippers, but I'm always fresh from a shower, with clean hair, wearing clothes appropriate to my size. 

I must admit, I DON'T always shower and wash my hair every day. In fact, my hair stays in braids and I generally only wash it once a week. I work from home, though, and don't get out much. Still, I wash off and deodorize. I smell okay and I still make an effort to get dressed, wash my face, brush my teeth, etc. I have every dry skin and hair and washing them too much just makes them worse. 

Still, the difference is that Whitney LOOKS like she hasn't bathed. It's not because of her size necessarily. I think a lot has to do with her clothing and she always appears to be sweating and have greasy, stringy hair. That hair style, with the big blonde streaks, isn't doing her any favors. 

I'm like you...I live in a small country town and when I go out I see people in those ratty pajama bottoms all the time. When I leave my house I make an effort to wear something decent and to make sure I look clean and appropriate. It just makes me feel better. My 5 year old daughter, on the other hand, generally leaves the house in a costume. She was Scooby Doo today. She still looked better than Whitney in most episodes. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, princelina said:

I didn't feel her bathing suit was that bad - I think of it more as a "two piece" than a bikini - because at her size she really isn't going to look "attractive" in anything, and if she really wanted to go to the beach and the gym to swim and work out, she should be in something comfortable.

The bathing suit was the least of my issues in this particular episode. It was more the rolling around with the towel stuck up her ass and kicking up her heels like she's doing a photo shoot for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. Her "LOOK AT MEEEEEE!" behavior is wearing really thin,

I'm actually in favor of women wearing what they want that makes them feel attractive and powerful. Just because I would never wear a two piece suit (because I think exposing my soft dead fish pale belly to the world is a crime against humanity that would warrant charges at the Hague), I get that other girls don't feel the same. And if they feel good, more power to them. And if you've ever been to the boardwalk near Brighton Beach here in NYC, you'll see plenty of plus sized Russian women in the skimpiest of swimwear.

And maybe they can change minds about what is considered appropriate for larger women to wear. Again, more power to them. But they can't stop other people from judging them negatively. And when they get out into the real working world, their employer is going to dictate what is appropriate office wear. My office is "business casual" but that means no leggings, no tank tops (sleeveless shirts need a cover like a cardigan or jacket), and nothing baring your midriff. And the clothes have to fit. One of my coworkers was actually sent home for wearing a bustier-type top that was obvious even under her sweater and she's a size four (so it's not as if the big girls are being discriminated against). What Whitney wears isn't just office inappropriate, it's inappropriate for life.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 13

Whitney would look so much better if she took care to freshen her hair and makeup and wear normal clothes.  Exercise clothing are not for the streets on a daily basis, let alone for work!! Please, lose the tank tops and wear short sleeves.  So much more appropriate, imho. 

• Love 6
On 2/10/2017 at 10:06 AM, M.F. Luder said:

Because I spend too much time on millennial-heavy websites, I know that part of the fat acceptance movement is #fuckflattering, which basically states that fat women shouldn't care about wearing flattering clothing; let your belly hang out, let your cellulite show, etc. Wearing flattering clothing is conforming to oppressive, patriarchal beauty standards and is the opposite of what a proud, fat feminist would do. So Whitney's really showing how much she fights against the patriarchy by having terrible fashion sense.

It's also a great excuse for why the men aren't interested in her: "Hey, I look like crap because I'm NOT trying to attract you! So of course you're not coming on to me! You can't fire me! I quit!"

• Love 3

The fact that she takes every opportunity to expose her stomach is nauseating. She has no shame. 

I remember when they did the car wash. She was hanging out all over.  Probably thought she was Cindy Crawford. I know I'm dating myself but she was pretty memorable.

Im sorry but that's opening herself for BS. It's like she's saying Go ahead I dare you to shame me then I can make my point that everyone is against fat people.

Edited by Bubbles1967
Add in
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

And maybe they can change minds about what is considered appropriate for larger women to wear. Again, more power to them. But they can't stop other people from judging them negatively. 

And here's Whitney's frustration in a nutshell.  She's fulfilled every negative stereotype about fat people I can think of, and expects no one to notice, ever.  And to paraphrase Hana Chan, she can do as she pleases - but I don't have to admire her :)

Edited by princelina
  • Love 4

And another thing. Why can't Babs have Henchy? Why does Whitney insist upon keeping him when she doesn't even take care of herself and last season when Tal came over he almost sat on cat shit on the couch. It's not like Whitney would never see Henchy again. They live really close. So while Twitney is living her fabulous life, why not let Babs keep the damn cat? She obviously loves him more than Whitney does.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

The bathing suit was the least of my issues in this particular episode. It was more the rolling around with the towel stuck up her ass and kicking up her heels like she's doing a photo shoot for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. Her "LOOK AT MEEEEEE!" behavior is wearing really thin,

It's the attitude of "Look at ME! Look at ME!" and then turning around and crying when someone DOES look at them and says something they don't like. 

When you put yourself out there like that, you're going to get comments. Some will be good, some will be bad. It's just what happens. In my job, I get hateful shit every day. I'll get emails and comments from people telling me that I am the most beautiful person they've ever seen and turn right around and get one from someone yelling at me to get my teeth fixed, that I am hideous. I cannot change what other people say or do, only how I react to the words. 

*I am in no way saying that people should not be confident in what they wear, say, or do. Or that others should antagonize them. I am just saying that when you're a public figure, or you really put yourself out there like Whitney was doing, people are going to be jackasses. It happens. It's not always right, but it still happens. Whitney lashes out every time she feels persecuted, whether someone is screaming at her in a parade or when her unhealthy friend tells her he wants to lose weight to feel better. She absolutely cannon take criticism, yet preaches for everyone to feel good about themselves. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 10
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, M.F. Luder said:

Because I spend too much time on millennial-heavy websites, I know that part of the fat acceptance movement is #fuckflattering, which basically states that fat women shouldn't care about wearing flattering clothing; let your belly hang out, let your cellulite show, etc. Wearing flattering clothing is conforming to oppressive, patriarchal beauty standards and is the opposite of what a proud, fat feminist would do.

Sounds like the same type of thing heard in the 70s.  You could have been quoting a co-worker of mine.

• Love 4

OK so I was just over on the RHoBH thread and noticed at the bottom of the page "Mama June: From Hot to Not" and had to click on it.  Yes, the Human Thumb from Honey Boo Boo is getting her own weight loss makeover series.  If I were Whitney I would so be trying to at least do better than her!

• Love 4
On 2/11/2017 at 3:41 PM, Nowhere said:

And another thing. Why can't Babs have Henchy? Why does Whitney insist upon keeping him when she doesn't even take care of herself and last season when Tal came over he almost sat on cat shit on the couch. It's not like Whitney would never see Henchy again. They live really close. So while Twitney is living her fabulous life, why not let Babs keep the damn cat? She obviously loves him more than Whitney does.

Twit mentioned that she got Henchy in Korea when she was teaching there and that Henchy was there when she was all alone (or something to that effect). So in that case, I see her not wanting to give Henchy up, even to her mom just down the street. My cat has been with me for going on 13 years, three states, a bad relationship and break-up and no, I wouldn't give him up for anything in the world. He's my pywacket. He stays with me. Period. But then I don't have the kind of fabulous life that Twit does. So.

My question is: what happened to the dog she had? Tori? Is it living with Babs now? 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

Twit mentioned that she got Henchy in Korea when she was teaching there and that Henchy was there when she was all alone (or something to that effect). So in that case, I see her not wanting to give Henchy up, even to her mom just down the street. My cat has been with me for going on 13 years, three states, a bad relationship and break-up and no, I wouldn't give him up for anything in the world. He's my pywacket. He stays with me. Period. But then I don't have the kind of fabulous life that Twit does. So.

My question is: what happened to the dog she had? Tori? Is it living with Babs now? 

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had ever seen Whitney take care of him or love on him. All Babs can think about is that cat. It's sad that while Whitney is living her fab life, Henchy has to sit around with his thumb up his butt when he has a grandma right down the street who wants him really bad. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Nowhere said:
22 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had ever seen Whitney take care of him or love on him. All Babs can think about is that cat. It's sad that while Whitney is living her fab life, Henchy has to sit around with his thumb up his butt when he has a grandma right down the street who wants him really bad. 

I think part of Twit's personality is that she likes lording the ownership of Henchy over her mother. If Babs hadn't expressed an interest in him, she'd be saddled with a cat she didn't want (like the dog, apparently).

Also, I find it interesting that the dog's story of Facebook lately is the exact same as Henchi's. And that Tori's not mentioned in her book at all (at least according to Google Books). She's quick to talk about how devastated she is by the loss of the dog though.

• Love 4

I think Whit has two moves when she dances... the booty pop with both arms grinding and the waving arms in a circle while twirling.  I don't know proper names of dance moves so I hope I'm describing these properly.  I also can do these two moves.  Does this make me a professional dancer now?

• Love 14

We've talked about this for awhile now but the reason Whitney looks so much better on You Tube, and in her "workout videos" is because they are not done in one take. She does a move, stops and takes a break, then does another. And so on and so forth. Any time she has to do one continuous dance, she falls flat. There is no energy, no technique, and no passion behind her movements. On videos she is a passably good Zumba instructor. In person, I would put her on par with the people who stand at the back of the class, trying to blend in and feeling their stomachs drop when the whole group turns around and they're suddenly in front. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Pdxblonde said:

On the show's Facebook page, her "fans" are saying that Roy led her on, he shouldn't have done that, and how much she deserves s great guy. Blech! 

Sorry not sorry, but those fans of hers are NOT the quickest Kenyans in the marathon, that's for sure. After Whitney revealed she wasn't pregnant, people on her FB were posting "you never know, you should test again, my cousin's friend's mom's sister's half-brother's daughter turned out to be pregnant later! OMG WHITNEY WOULD BE SUCH A GREAT MOOOOOM" *rolls eyes so hard*

• Love 9

You know, Whitney was actually pretty likeable when she was on the radio (pre-fame). She was loud and brash, but not in a mean way. She used to talk about going out clubbing and how she would be picking up guys and having her way with them. She 'owned' that she was a sexual being (and there is NO shame in that). How she presents on *this* show is so very different that it is jarring.

• Love 1

The term narcissistic gets thrown around a lot these days (far too much IMO)...

For fun, I decided to re-read the characteristics of another personality disorder - histrionic personality disorder.  I was surprised to see how many of these fit Whitney.  (of course we can't really diagnose anyone on TV, but I do think its interesting to look at her through this lens, as opposed to just labeling her as narcissistic)

Curious what others think.

Histrionic Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of excessive emotionality and attention seeking, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

• Is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention
  • Interaction with others is often characterized by inappropriate sexually seductive or provocative behavior
  • Displays rapidly shifting and shallow expression of emotions
  • Consistently uses physical appearance to draw attention to themself
  • Has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail
  • Shows self-dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion
  • Is highly suggestible, i.e., easily influenced by others or circumstances
  • Considers relationships to be more intimate than they actually are

If nothing else, I think she does have many of these traits.

https://psychcentral.com/disorders/histrionic-personality-disorder-symptoms/

• Love 19

Yeah, there's not much more to say about her than that, LOL :)

I did love in the preview for next week when she tells Jiya "I have a knee problem" and Jiya asks for a doctor's note. HAH! Whit's only "knee problem" is the hundreds of pounds undulating skill-lessly over it. 

• Love 10

Does anyone know where I can find episodes of Ruby's show? I don't remember jumping on the dislike train this early on with her. With Ruby it still wasnot a dislike as much as it was annoyance with her " forgotten memories " and refusal to lose weight.  I dislike Whitney and that happened in Season 2. 

I'd like to compare and contrast.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Does anyone know where I can find episodes of Ruby's show? I don't remember jumping on the dislike train this early on with her. With Ruby it still wasnot a dislike as much as it was annoyance with her " forgotten memories " and refusal to lose weight.  I dislike Whitney and that happened in Season 2. 

I'd like to compare and contrast.

I'd like to know too. I've looked before and haven't been able to find it anywhere. I don't know who I dislike more Ruby and her "hacky" bs or Twit and her "noBS" bs. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

Holy Toledo, Batman! What the hell did I just look at?

Like @Runnergirl said, some of these folks need to learn the difference between panty hose and leggings. 

You know what, though? I am the wrong person to offer an opinion on this. Although I go around in my pajamas at home, I am totally old fashioned when it comes to going out in public. Hell, I'd go back to wearing gloves and top hats if half my town didn't already think I was a freak. 

• Love 6

So, Whitney posted a picture on her Instagram of a letter she received from a doctor in California. I can't get the picture to upload at the moment, but it's up on her Insta.  I'd like to know what everyone else thinks of the validity of this letter. Doctors are very educated people and this letter seems to come from a much less educated person.  Twit blocks out the name and address of the "doctor", of course.  She is just outraged by this person! If she's so outraged, why not show the name and put the doctor on blast? Also, of course, she starts her rant with : IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE WE LIVE IN A FAT-PHOBIC SOCIETY, READ THIS. 

Maybe I'm overly skeptical but the whole thing just seems contrived.  Maybe someone really did send her that letter, but I highly doubt it's a real doctor. Could be someone pretending to be a doctor. Or it could be Whitney. 

Untitled.gif

Edited by saratothej
Added Picture
  • Love 5

Yeah, that letter is probably fakery, fakery, fake.  Random capital letter (Bull)?  Name calling?  And wouldn't a real doctor call it polycystic ovarian syndrome instead of poly cystic ovaries?  I'm not buying what she's selling.

• Love 12

Has the letter that Whitney posted on her FB page been mentioned yet. I can't really believe this is from a real doctor. I do believe this attitude exists but for a supposed Dr to pu this in writing is quite strange. Basically the Dr wrote "confidential/personal" on the envelope so Whit is not sharing the Drs name. The Dr goes into her weight and health and calls her names.

• Love 1

It's a sad truth of the 21st Century that anyone who makes themselves available for public interaction is going to attract trolls. And trolls go for whatever they perceive is their target's weak spot. So it's not surprising that Whitney would become a magnet for morons who want to say hateful things about fat people and aim them at her. It's disgusting conduct and I feel badly for anyone subjected to that kind of abuse.

I doubt, however, that a licensed medical doctor is going to take the time to handwrite a misspelled abusive letter to Whitney. I'm amused by her saying she won't "out" his real name because he marked the letter "confidential,' but that she looked him up and he's a real doctor.  Well no, Whitney, someone by that name is a real doctor, but that doesn't mean he's the person who wrote the letter. And I have to assume the real reason you didn't reveal the name is because you know that, and you don't want to get entangled in possible libel claims. Which certainly makes more sense than being careful of protecting a troll's privacy.  

• Love 10

I call fake or troll. Anyone can claim to be a doctor in a letter. Of course, I can also totally see her writing it herself.

No reason for her not to share the name. Since this is not her doc, doc-patient confidentiality does not exist.

• Love 5

Fake. Somehow the "doctor" listed the phone number and fax number as "omitted" because a doctor has time to waste their time like that.

There's also no signature on it. I call total BS. But her sheeple are quick to round up a linch mob. She keeps relying on "It's a real person" as her proof it's real.

• Love 6

There is absolutely NO way that letter is from a legit doctor, whether it's a troll using a true doctors name, or her just trying to garner sympathy for being bullied by a doctor I don't buy it for a second. It would be unethical for a doctor to send a letter of that nature having never even seen or treated Whitney... and if she believes that was actually sent from a real doctor, she is even dumber than I thought, and that was not a high bar to begin with. While if this letter were from trolls and an innocent doctor was named, I'm glad she hasn't outed the name because he undoubtedly would get harassed by her fans... but I also find it suspect that she did t release a name because that means that nobody can deny having sent it. 

Im tired of the gimmicks, I haven't watched the show in a couple weeks, but it seems like  one that the pregnancy story has played out she has to find something else to stir up interest. 

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, leighroda said:

There is absolutely NO way that letter is from a legit doctor, whether it's a troll using a true doctors name, or her just trying to garner sympathy for being bullied by a doctor I don't buy it for a second. It would be unethical for a doctor to send a letter of that nature having never even seen or treated Whitney... and if she believes that was actually sent from a real doctor, she is even dumber than I thought, and that was not a high bar to begin with. While if this letter were from trolls and an innocent doctor was named, I'm glad she hasn't outed the name because he undoubtedly would get harassed by her fans... but I also find it suspect that she did t release a name because that means that nobody can deny having sent it. 

Im tired of the gimmicks, I haven't watched the show in a couple weeks, but it seems like  one that the pregnancy story has played out she has to find something else to stir up interest. 

There are all kinds of "doctors" on these health-related websites that are kind of skeevy. Without seeing credentials, I can't believe anyone who says they're titled in such a way. I think it's one of her hate-watchers who wrote the letter, pretending to be a doctor (perhaps they are using a real name they pulled from some site) just to rile her up. 

I am giving her the benefit of the doubt at this point although I would certainly NOT be surprised if Whitney herself wrote it and is using it to back her cause. 

• Love 1