Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Eternity Injection

Athena

When Watson joins forces with Holmes and Kitty to locate a missing nurse she used to work with, the woman’s trail leads them to another person who has recently disappeared.

• Love 2

Glad to see Alfredo back!  Also glad that they are dropping the events of what happened last episode, and Sherlock really has been hit hard by that betrayal, and is effecting how he handles meetings.  At least he hasn't relapsed and wants to remain sober, but this is clearly messing him up.  His big scene with Joan was well done.

Hey, they finally did it!  The recognizable face (to me, at least), wasn't the killer!  As soon as I saw Lawrence Gilllard Jr.'s name on the credits (last seen as Bob Stookey on The Walking Dead, but I think he'll always be D'Angelo Barksdale from The Wire to me), I assumed the worst.  Granted, he still was participating in the crime, but I'll take it!

It was a bit obvious, but I still had a big chuckle over Sherlock and Joan both backseat lock-picking Kitty, and her finally snapping at them.  They really have almost become almost obnoxious, bickering parents to Kitty. 

I kind of hope Sherlock hasn't found all the "Orion's" Alfredo hid in the house, and one of them just randomly shows up in a future episode.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 8

I was really impressed with both the mystery and the personal scenes in this one, I really liked seeing Sherlock and Joan growing closer together again, even to the point of her volunteering to come back to the townhouse at the end, though he (perhaps predictably) insisted he didn't need her to do that.  I loved that the crime story also was equally strange and unpredictable, the mere thought of a drug to bend time (so to speak) was something I hadn't heard proposed before even in fiction, and the twists they took to get to the end kept my attention all the way.  Good job show.  Also very impressed with the cast but I always am, still JLM and LL had more to work with in their scenes together tonight and it showed.

• Love 6

the mere thought of a drug to bend time (so to speak) was something I hadn't heard proposed before even in fiction,

There are experiments on drugs to make one forget traumatic incidents, so this isn't too much of a stretch.

Slightly off topic, the actor who played Moran is now in the very silly Galavant. He's surprisingly funny.

• Love 2

I realize Kitty is probably not going to be a permanent cast member and that the show is a little crowded as it is, but I've come to enjoy her dour presence on the show. There's just something really fun about watching her deadpan reaction to everything and the resigned way she goes about doing whatever Sherlock tells her to do, no matter how embarrassing. 

I also really love the idea that Not-Anonymous extracted a price from Sherlock by making him deliver a treatise on the relationships in Twilight.

The idea of a drug to slow down perception of time is one that I first encountered in the movie Dredd with Karl Urban. In that one, the use of the drug is much more...disturbing.

• Love 8
An odd blend of optimism and tragedy.

Yes. With the regulars, it looked at the monotony of life, only writ larger to those battling addictions. Sherlock's " two years out" line drew that out for me.  On the case-side of the episode, it showed how those more despondent can react to a mostly certain outcome. Why plod when it can seem to slow past like a fast-running river or stream? Why feel locked into that inevitability if you can feel like you are packing more into your time? Maybe even doing something useful?

We also saw that not everyone was dead. There is severe damage to that one man, the one Sherlock, Joan and Kitty found. Maybe, with an understanding of what was in the drug, he can receive some help.  (Were two still missing? I thought I heard that.)

I hope Sherlock was honest about this just being a temporary malaise. I think he was being honest, but sometimes, Sherlock tells people things to end conversations he is uneasy about.  He has Kitty to shepherd and Joan to consult with and the NYPD to consult for, and the Irregulars to bring him cases or help. He has his fellow addict to help keep sober and  the always welcome Alfredo to talk to about a panoply of subjects. Not the least is this hilarious "Odin" car alarm system!

I kind of hope Sherlock hasn't found all the "Orion's" Alfredo hid in the house, and one of them just randomly shows up in a future episode.

I hope we have them off and on for the rest of the season!  I have formulated something, so off to the Speculation thread!

• Love 3

I feel like this might be the closest they've ever come to acknowledging that NA (and, particularly, going to NA meetings) isn't the absolute only hope that any addict has for staying clean, the way that Joan makes it out to be.

I'm sure that it's a positive thing for a lot of recovering addicts, but there are plenty of recovering addicts have rejected the program, and have managed to stay clean anyway. Addiction is a lot more complicated than, "Go to the NA meetings or else you're bound to fall off the wagon."

This show (and Mom, which airs on the same night on the same network) both tend to glorify 12-step-programs. I don't expect either show to attack NA or AA (nor would I want them to), but I sometimes find it all to be a bit much. I like the idea that Sherlock is finding the meetings unhelpful, but goes more for the sake of Alfredo and Joan.

• Love 7
I realize Kitty is probably not going to be a permanent cast member and that the show is a little crowded as it is, but I've come to enjoy her dour presence on the show. There's just something really fun about watching her deadpan reaction to everything and the resigned way she goes about doing whatever Sherlock tells her to do, no matter how embarrassing.

She does draw the line at tortoise-trafficking, and, to be fair, Sherlock got in the garbage bin, when Kitty thought he was going to make her do it.. 

I hope Sherlock was honest about this just being a temporary malaise. I think he was being honest, but sometimes, Sherlock tells people things to end conversations he is uneasy about.  He has Kitty to shepherd and Joan to consult with and the NYPD to consult for, and the Irregulars to bring him cases or help. He has his fellow addict to help keep sober and  the always welcome Alfredo to talk to about a panoply of subjects. Not the least is this hilarious "Odin" car alarm system!

The AA conceit is wearing on me. It is not the only solution for addicts and is quite harmful to some (lack of anonymity, as we've seen, for one). The insistence on the belief of a higher power. Also the concept that all drugs are equally bad. Sherlock's problem was with heroin, not alcohol or marijuana. One has little to do with the other, in most cases.

I thought it absurd that Joan poured all that expensive champagne down the sink, or that she reamed Lestrade for drinking in the backyard and Ryan? for sneaking a smoke of marijuana. More modern (and successful) programs make the distinction of hard drugs and less harmful ones. I know of several former heroin and crack addicts who now smoke a little marijuana, enjoy a glass a wine now and then, and have stayed off the harder drugs for decades. Many if not all AA followers switch to some other addiction. One of the most common is cigarette smoking, which, imo, is far more harmful than the occasional joint or glass of wine.

eta: I obviously took a little longer to write than the poster above me. Interesting how close our thinking was. 

Edited by basil
  • Love 5

While I do not really understand the hacker group's desire to have Sherlock humiliate himself in public, I quite liked Sherlock's offhanded comment about a Twilight ménage a trois (side note: I have not read any of the Twilight franchise, nor seen any of the movies, nor do I have any plans to do so; I suspect that forcing him to read the series is worse than the public humiliation).

It was lovely seeing D'angelo Barksdale alive and well, if headed to prison again. I was also delighted by the return of Alfredo. I do wonder what became of Sherlock's sponsee.

Last, but not least, I was very distressed at a huge grammatical error: Sherlock, interviewing the client about the missing nurse said "you and her" when it should have been "she"! There is no way that Sherlock is unaware of the proper use of the nominative case!

• Love 4

I loved when Joan looked at the murder board and panned up from Bella and Edward to Jacob and realized what was going on. At first I thought maybe Sherlock had jokingly given some of the missing participants in the study these names, but the real explanation was even better!

Loved seeing D'Angelo again. This has been a great week for the cast of The Wire. Herc was on The Good Wife on Sunday, Clay Davis was on Gotham on Monday, Lester was on Forever (Monday in Canada, Tuesday in the U.S.), and Bubbles was on Agent Carter on Tuesday.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

This was the first time in 2 1/2 seasons that I felt 2 steps ahead of Sherlock every step of the way (not good). The mystery wasn't very tough to crack, and I felt like I was waiting for everyone on the show to catch up.

Normally, I love getting to the half hour commercial break and telling myself, "I have no idea what's happening, and I can't wait to find out!" I'll chalk last night's episode up to a rare weak effort.

An "Elementary/The Mentalist" comparison: The Mentalist has simplistic stories, but the charm of the show is in the characters and watching how Mr. Jane tricks the bad guys into revealing themselves. Elementary has crackerjack mysteries that are tough and cool, but I don't really care for most of the characters on the show. They're not bad characters, or badly written, they're just not who I'd want to hang out with IRL. (Plus the show is so darkly filmed. Can't Sherlock buy some 100 watt bulbs for that brownstone?!? )

• Love 1

Just to comment on sobriety:  I believe its thought that it is really not the specific substance one is addicted to, but the fact that one has AN ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY.  Whether it be an addiction to heroin or to flamin' hot Cheetos, its the fact of an addiction itself, and a STRUCTURE, any structure, that gives the addictive personality the means to deal with said addiction and to, hopefully, overcome it, one day at a time.   Didn't mean to get off topic, but it seems to be what this show is saying.  Sherlock has an addictive personality (heroin, work) and a structure (NA, Alfredo, Joan, Kitty) to help him cope.

• Love 3
Anyone know the name of the classical music piece playing when Joan enters the brownstone and Sherlock is laying on the floor?  It was lovely.

Pretty sure it's the first movement of the Bach Suite in G Major

eta: tunefind says this: Cell[o] Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007: I. Prelude by Erling Blöndal Bengtsson

Edited by basil
  • Love 3

I feel like this might be the closest they've ever come to acknowledging that NA (and, particularly, going to NA meetings) isn't the absolute only hope that any addict has for staying clean, the way that Joan makes it out to be.

This show (and Mom, which airs on the same night on the same network) both tend to glorify 12-step-programs. I don't expect either show to attack NA or AA (nor would I want them to), but I sometimes find it all to be a bit much. I like the idea that Sherlock is finding the meetings unhelpful, but goes more for the sake of Alfredo and Joan.

I agree. It was a breath of fresh air when Joan told him it's not an ala carte program, but he said he thinks it is. For many people, it is. And has to be.

Just to comment on sobriety:  I believe its thought that it is really not the specific substance one is addicted to, but the fact that one has AN ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY.  Whether it be an addiction to heroin or to flamin' hot Cheetos, its the fact of an addiction itself, and a STRUCTURE, any structure, that gives the addictive personality the means to deal with said addiction and to, hopefully, overcome it, one day at a time.   

That is indeed the dominant thinking in the U.S. and in the 12-step program, but there are many alternatives to this. And many people who go GA are able to drink moderately or who go to AA are able to smoke pot in moderation, etc, etc. Sometimes it really is the specific substance, and not "addiction to all things potentially addictive." Others opt to stay on the safe side, and just stay away from anything that could lead to trouble. Point being, it's nice that the show is starting to acknowledge that there is more than one point of view in addiction recovery. 

I really loved the personal side of this episode but thought that it took time away from the mystery, which got kind of sped over at the end. If only it were on FX, they could've given it 6 extra minutes! And probably a lot of nudity. Heh.

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 3

.. Elementary has crackerjack mysteries that are tough and cool, but I don't really care for most of the characters on the show. They're not bad characters, or badly written, they're just not who I'd want to hang out with IRL. (Plus the show is so darkly filmed. Can't Sherlock buy some 100 watt bulbs for that brownstone?!? )

I feel that Elementary is trying for a more bleak, harsh, dare I say 'gritty', feel. And, to me, it is sort of a downer depending on how you approach the show. It's not exactly fun escapism.

To tie this in with the addiction/recovery theme of the series, I think people who have not closely dealt with an addict (recovering or active) might find Sherlock to be delightfully quirky and someone they'd like to meet. But people who have experienced the seemingly endless emotional  roller coaster ride of being part of an addict's support system may not want to ever meet him. 

I sort of regard Sherlock the same as I did House (who was modeled after the original Homes ) : I can enjoy his genius from a comfortable distance - but I cannot really relate to any of his groupies who choose to endure the intentional or unintentional abuse just so they can learn from him or witness his genius. 

Also, Sherlock's home feels like a halfway house with all the disheveled stuff, peeling paint, and whatnot.. Again, depending on your take, it is refreshingly 'real' or depressingly shabby. And the same can be said about Sherlock himself.

• Love 4

Basil - thank you thank you thank you!

I'm sure that it's a positive thing for a lot of recovering addicts, but there are plenty of recovering addicts have rejected the program, and have managed to stay clean anyway.

I don't remember her being overt about it (but my memory is spotty) - can you provide some specifics?  But I agree, there's not a one size fits all program.

• Love 1

On the subject of Joan's wardrobe...

...that black wool coat with the buttons on the bias?  Perfection.

Thank you for reminding me! I loved the way it was similar but not identical to Sherlock's coat. It made them seem like a team moving as one unit in that scene.

• Love 4
its thought that it is really not the specific substance one is addicted to, but the fact that one has AN ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY.  Whether it be an addiction to heroin or to flamin' hot Cheetos, its the fact of an addiction itself, and a STRUCTURE, any structure, that gives the addictive personality the means to deal with said addiction and to, hopefully, overcome it, one day at a time.   Didn't mean to get off topic, but it seems to be what this show is saying.

I don't think you're off topic (though I don't understand why you're shouting), and that is exactly what the show seems to be saying. Sherlock's addiction was situational, a direct result of Irene's "death". AA teaches that there are people who have addictive personalities who are powerless without God (they have since said you can use "higher power" instead, but it's still a Christian-based organisation. It has many times been compared to a cult. Also, fwiw, canon Sherlock only used cocaine when he had no cases to occupy his mind. IMO, work is the structure for Sherlock, not the meetings.

That is indeed the dominant thinking in the U.S. and in the 12-step program, but there are many alternatives to this. And many people who go GA are able to drink moderately or who go to AA are able to smoke pot in moderation, etc, etc. Sometimes it really is the specific substance, and not "addiction to all things potentially addictive." Others opt to stay on the safe side, and just stay away from anything that could lead to trouble. Point being, it's nice that the show is starting to acknowledge that there is more than one point of view in addiction recovery.

ITA

I think people who have not closely dealt with an addict (recovering or active) might find Sherlock to be delightfully quirky and someone they'd like to meet. But people who have experienced the seemingly endless emotional  roller coaster ride of being part of an addict's support system may not want to ever meet him.

I could be wrong, but I think that's just Sherlock's personality. Has nothing to do with his addiction or recovery from it. He could have been the same or worse before his addiction.

Sherlock's home feels like a halfway house with all the disheveled stuff, peeling paint, and whatnot.. Again, depending on your take, it is refreshingly 'real' or depressingly shabby. And the same can be said about Sherlock himself.

Some people simply don't care about appearances and "things". Sherlock - and to some degree, Joan - seem to be those kinds of people. Joan never decorated her room, and both of her apartments have been rather spartan. Sherlock clearly appreciates fine art, and is aware of what an addict's place looks like (as per the episode where a CEO is made to appear he accidentally overdosed in his secret apartment.

I don't remember her being overt about it (but my memory is spotty) - can you provide some specifics?

Joan has, at times, been borderline harpy-ish about Sherlock attending NA/AA meetings. I don't think she has ever offered any other options. She even threatened to stab his inner thigh with a thumbtack if he put himself into a trance again during a meeting. 

• Love 2

This episode was a season high in ratings, and I think it was well-deserved. It was an interesting mystery with wonderful Watson-Holmes moments. Holmes and the bugle were priceless!This episode had a perfect balance for me-- we got Alfredo, lots of Joan and Holmes, lots of Bell and Gregson and Kitty rounding it out.

I've noticed that the promos have abandoned the whole Joan-Kitty tension angle and are now really focusing on the Watson and Holmes relationship. I saw a really nice promo that wasn't episode specific about 'the new chapter' between Watson and Holmes. Lots of their cutest moments so far this season-- though the spin was a little romantic-- seriously hope they're not going in that direction!

On the subject of Joan's wardrobe...
...that black wool coat with the buttons on the bias?  Perfection.

On the subject of HOLMES' wardrobe, I noticed that after he jumped into the dumpster, later on in the episode and presumably the same day, he was wearing the same coat and pants! EWWWW! 

• Love 3

...On the subject of HOLMES' wardrobe, I noticed that after he jumped into the dumpster, later on in the episode and presumably the same day, he was wearing the same coat and pants! EWWWW!

I am fanwanking that he has identical sets of all of his clothes so while one set is at the cleaners he can always wear the other.
  • Love 4
I am fanwanking that he has identical sets of all of his clothes so while one set is at the cleaners he can always wear the other

Actually not too much of a stretch. There have been several articles on successful people doing exactly this lately. 

• Love 2

Holmes and the bugle were priceless!

I laughed when he said he'd just taught himself that morning so that he could wake Joan up. And when he said that he wasn't going to go wake up Kitty because he's a "considerate housemate," that made me laugh really hard. But first I had to rewind to make sure that's what he said, because it was so unbelievable I wasn't sure I heard him correctly. Considerate housemate. HAAA.

I did love that waking her up brought him some joy he hadn't felt in a long time, though. (Poor Joan.)

• Love 4

I enjoyed that moment for the character aspects of it, but was also irked by it. Because it begs us to believe the bugle were inaudible to the rest of the house. Isn't the whole point of waking to a bugle call that it's heard some distance (albeit not huge distances or anything) from where it's played? I'm picturing standard summer camp scenario here with cabins all round, bugler in the center. Or does the brownstone have some sort of impressive soundproofing between floors?

• Love 2

I enjoyed that moment for the character aspects of it, but was also irked by it. Because it begs us to believe the bugle were inaudible to the rest of the house.

Yeah. When Joan said, "Are you going to go wake up Kitty now?" I found myself saying to the TV, "I think she's probably already heard it by now." It wouldn't be as blaring as what Joan experienced, being only a few feet away from Holmes and his bugle, but yeah, there's no way she didn't hear that from wherever she sleeps in that brownstone.

Though his comment about not doing it to Kitty did make me wonder if it's kind of the equivalent of a boy tugging on a girl's pigtails and annoying her incessantly. It's Sherlock's way of saying Joan has endeared herself to him and he likes messing with her. He may generally like Kitty, but Joan is different. And it doesn't have to be because he wants her in a sexual way; I think he just sees her as an equal (or as close as he thinks anyone can come to it).

I didn't think I'd like the Kitty character; I immediately bristled when she arrived in the first episode. But I've grown to like her and to like the dynamic between her and Holmes, her and Joan, and the three of them (especially that very funny lock-picking moment, heee). And I like that even though Sherlock took her on in an attempt to recapture what he had with Joan, I still think he's learning that it is different, that he can have a mentor-like relationship with Kitty but that his relationship with Joan really is different and cannot be duplicated. The lovely scene between the two of them as he talked about his sobriety process was evidence of that. I can't see him being able to dig into that level of emotional honesty with Kitty; they're not connected in that way, not yet. With Kitty, I think he'd be more reserved, not admit as much as he did with Joan. And that says something - shows something remarkable - about his relationship with Joan. I like those kinds of moments, where we see their deeper friendship connection. I hope we get more of that.

• Love 4

I enjoyed that moment for the character aspects of it, but was also irked by it. Because it begs us to believe the bugle were inaudible to the rest of the house.

Actually, a brownstone is typically 3-5 floors and constructed the old fashioned way, with thick plaster walls and ceilings, so if someone were sleeping in an upstairs room with the door closed they might not hear anything form downstairs. But Sherlock being Sherlock probably wouldn't consider that ambient sound waking Kitty would constitute a wake-up call.

• Love 1
Though his comment about not doing it to Kitty did make me wonder if it's kind of the equivalent of a boy tugging on a girl's pigtails and annoying her incessantly. It's Sherlock's way of saying Joan has endeared herself to him and he likes messing with her. He may generally like Kitty, but Joan is different.

ITA. I took this as Sherlock's playful (and slightly reproving) way of saying he had changed - that he is now an excellent housemate. Joan had merely stayed the night and isn't a house mate. I thought I noticed something new, though. He used to only bring her clothes. Then he started bringing coffee. Didn't he bring her breakfast this time?

Actually, a brownstone is typically 3-5 floors and constructed the old fashioned way, with thick plaster walls and ceilings, so if someone were sleeping in an upstairs room with the door closed they might not hear anything form downstairs.

I sleep on the 4th (and top) floor of a brownstone very much like Sherlock's, built at the turn of the (previous) century. Musicians practice on the 1st floor. There are five closed doors between us, and I can hear them well enough to name that tune. Brass and drums may only practice between the hours of noon and 10pm.

Sherlock and Joan were on the second floor, I believe. I don't think we know where Kitty sleeps (Joan's old room on the top floor, perhaps?). Depending on which exterior of the brownstone we go by (we've seen two), Sherlock's is 3 or 4 stories, and unlike mine, there are not doors that separate each floor.

Odds are very good that unless Kitty was wearing earplugs and is a very sound sleeper, she heard that bugle loud and clear enough to wake her. The neighbors probably heard it.

It was far too funny to irk me, though.

Edited by basil
  • Love 5

It was far too funny to irk me, though.

I know! I'd forgotten how fun it was when Joan was living there. I know it's mean because poor Joan never got much peace while living there, but it was so funny. As soon as the bugle started playing and Joan woke up, I started laughing. I miss that playful animosity between them. (I'm reminded of when he irritated her enough that she took his entire wall of locks and knocked it to the ground, LOL.) Stuff like that gives the show and its characters more life.

• Love 1

I enjoyed that moment for the character aspects of it, but was also irked by it. Because it begs us to believe the bugle were inaudible to the rest of the house. Isn't the whole point of waking to a bugle call that it's heard some distance (albeit not huge distances or anything) from where it's played? I'm picturing standard summer camp scenario here with cabins all round, bugler in the center. Or does the brownstone have some sort of impressive soundproofing between floors?

Well, as Sherlock said in a previous episode: "Walls are a bit thin. They would never hold back our bloodcurdling screams, but we call it home."

I wouldn't be surprised if Kitty heard it, realized it was coming from where Joan was sleeping, rolled her eyes, muttered "Sherlock!", and then went back to sleep.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 6

"Walls are a bit thin. They would never hold back our bloodcurdling screams, but we call it home."

Thanks for that. One of my favorite lines ever. It's lines like that (and their delivery) that keep me coming back. The cases are shite, but some of the dialogue is top notch, as is most of the cast, and I love that it is shot in NYC. The production values are great.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kitty heard it, realized it was coming from where Joan was sleeping, rolled her eyes, muttered "Sherlock!", and then went back to sleep

I can absolutely see that scene in my head.

• Love 3

He has brought her breakfast before, but it was even fancier this time. I really liked that mug of tea (Joan probably wanted coffee though) and the way she sorta sniffed it. Hee.

I enjoyed this episode. I don't think this show is anymore grittier or darker than it was in S1. In S1, Sherlock almost tortured Moran. The topic of sobriety has always been a focus and I have no big stake in the AA/NA debate. I do know it has worked for many, but again, it can't be everything for everyone. In these scenarios, I look at the larger picture. Sherlock has benefited from it and he has a support network from it he wouldn't otherwise. Alfredo is the perfect example. I liked that Sherlock noted he would return because of what Alfredo has done for him.

The relationships on this show are some of the best. I think Kitty has been a wonderful addition because Sherlock's relationship with her is distinctly different than his with the rest of the cast. He is more paternal with her and a mentor, but not an equal like he is with Joan. All of them have issues and struggles, but Kitty is younger and more recent from her trauma as an assault victim. I like Joan has cared for Kitty. I almost now afraid the day when Kitty leaves. I just hope it's not violently.

I really enjoyed the writing in this episode and not a surprise that Craig Sweeney wrote it. He's always done well by these characters. All that was missing this episode was Clyde.

• Love 4

I'm actually surprised that Sherlock continued with his meetings after his brother attended one.  But the writers decided to make Sherlock ignore that violation and focus instead on the blogger.  Maybe it's an aspect of his personality that made Sherlock think that his brothers intrusion was minor, and the bloggers intrusion was not.  But while the blogger put Sherlocks words out anonymously, Sherlocks brother was part of MI5.  No anonymity there.

I think that Sherlock should consider writing his own blog about recovering from addiction.  He obviously has a way with words, and his thoughts speak to and have helped a lot of people.  He could state outright that he has no intention of ever appearing in public because he values the anonymity, and public appearances would have a negative affect on his life.  Yes, Sherlock is narcissistic and sometimes flamboyant in his personal life and when he's working for the NYPD, but he's not that way about everything and he shouldn't be expected to expose everything to the public.

He'd have to do some editing if something from a case gave him greater insight to his addiction, and I think that Joan would be very helpful if he asked her.  He could also explore other treatments for addiction and not only gain a different perspective, but also report his findings to his blog.  That could be very helpful not only to Sherlock, but to other addicts as well.  He could also possibly find other cases to solve when in other treatment programs.  You know that would happen, it's TV.

• Love 2

The whole time dilation thing reminded me of Stephen King's short story "The Jaunt" (I think this is the title, I may be mistaken). It's one of the most terryfing things I've ever read. In the future, there is a simple and fast way of traveling between Earth and the Moon (or was it Mars? No matter). A family, 2 parents and a boy, are preparing for such a voyage in a transport. But there is one requirement - all passangers have to be asleep during the trip. They are all given some drug, but the boy is mischievous and curious and only fakes taking it. And then they are off...

Upon arrival, it basically turns out that this traveling method involves time dilation in some way, and the boy not being asleep during it meant he spent literally hundreds (if not thousands) of years locked in his head. He's conscious for a few moments after they wake up and then dies. It's absolutely haunting and the whole idea scared the bejeesus out of me.

As for the episode, it was OK. Kitty took a while to grow on me, although she's the type of character i tend to enjoy, generally (still not quite sold on the actress, though - her voice is kinda grating), but I think I'm OK with her now. I wonder if something bad is going to happen to her to make Watson and Sherlock closer and maybe even make Sherlock relapse.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

I'm actually surprised that Sherlock continued with his meetings after his brother attended one.  But the writers decided to make Sherlock ignore that violation and focus instead on the blogger.  Maybe it's an aspect of his personality that made Sherlock think that his brothers intrusion was minor, and the bloggers intrusion was not.  But while the blogger put Sherlocks words out anonymously, Sherlocks brother was part of MI5.  No anonymity there....

I had forgotten about his brother doing that, but now that you mention it, to me, it makes sense that Sherlock would return to the meetings after that violation, because his brother isn't going to randomly show up in the future. I also find it natural that Sherlock would be put off going to the meetings after the blog violation because many of his words may still be making the rounds in emails and other social media, so if he happens to say in a meeting something similar to what has now become an Internet meme, he knows he will at least get a few curious looks--which is what one hopes to avoid at such meetings.

Hmmm...now I wonder how it is for the uber-famous who wish to attend. Do they wear masks or other disguises?

Maybe they also speak with fake accents. Having to speak differently would probably impinge on one's sense of being able to be open and honest at the meeting--which is like what Sherlock now also faces.

...Kitty took a while to grow on me, although she's the type of character i tend to enjoy, generally (still not quite sold on the actress, though - her voice is kinda grating)...

It's interesting that you write about her voice being grating to you after the same episode in which I first noticed that I really liked the clarity of her diction (like JLM's). I was even wondering if Lovibond had been inspired by JLM to work on it--but I don't recall whether her speech was worse in previous episodes.
  • Love 1
I'm actually surprised that Sherlock continued with his meetings after his brother attended one.  But the writers decided to make Sherlock ignore that violation and focus instead on the blogger.  Maybe it's an aspect of his personality that made Sherlock think that his brothers intrusion was minor, and the bloggers intrusion was not.  But while the blogger put Sherlocks words out anonymously, Sherlocks brother was part of MI5.  No anonymity there.

The blogger definitely broke AA's rules by reporting anything in the meeting. That is a huge AA/NA no-no. Some meetings are open (anyone may attend), others closed (addicts/alcoholics only, which is why sometimes Joan is outside). We don't know which Mycroft attended, and as far as we know, Mycroft did not reveal to anyone what occurred during the meeting, as the blogger did. In fact, Sherlock did not have to threaten the blogger - merely making AA aware the blogger was posting what people were saying during meetings would be enough to have him thrown out.

He could also explore other treatments for addiction and not only gain a different perspective, but also report his findings to his blog.  That could be very helpful not only to Sherlock, but to other addicts as well.  He could also possibly find other cases to solve when in other treatment programs.  You know that would happen, it's TV.

This show seems to think AA/NA is the solution for recovery. Thing is, Sherlock doesn't need to go beyond AA to find crimes, sadly. There's a little problem known as "the 13th step", where predators attend open meetings seeking out vulnerable people, or court ordered attendees have committed rapes and even murders of other AA/NA members.

eta:

Hmmm...now I wonder how it is for the uber-famous who wish to attend. Do they wear masks or other disguises?

Maybe they also speak with fake accents. Having to speak differently would probably impinge on one's sense of being able to be open and honest at the meeting--which is like what Sherlock now also faces.

While no addict can be refused any meeting (unless they've broken rules), there are speciaised groups, tending towards women only, gay only. I don't think masks or disguises would be allowed in any meeting. The entire point of AA is complete honesty. They dealt with this problem in The West Wing by having senators, the Vice President, Chief of Staff and other politicians create their own secret meetings, disguised as (I think) a poker game, with a Secret Service agent at the door to keep people from wandering in.

Edited by basil
  • Love 4

There are specialized meetings for people in certain industries, entertainment, medicine, law, etc.  I've seen famous people at meetings and no one has worn a disguise, bothered them, or really gave a shit.  

This show seems to think AA/NA is the solution for recovery. Thing is, Sherlock doesn't need to go beyond AA to find crimes, sadly. There's a little problem known as "the 13th step", where predators attend open meetings seeking out vulnerable people, or court ordered attendees have committed rapes and even murders of other AA/NA members.

Perhaps writers or producers of the show are in AA or NA and it works for them.  Nothing wrong with that.  As for 13th step, stuff like that happens in therapy groups as well.  Even psychiatrists, have had affairs with patients.  Bad stuff doesn't exclusively happen in 12 step programs.  Any time you deal with people, anything can happen.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5
Bad stuff doesn't exclusively happen in 12 step programs.

I wasn't trying imply that it does. I was responding to this post:

He could also possibly find other cases to solve when in other treatment programs.  You know that would happen, it's TV.

My intent was to show that the concept of Sherlock finding cases to solve that involved treatment programs would not be at all outlandish. 

However....AA/NA does lend itself to 13 step crimes because it's free, anonymous, and open to anyone at all. A possible predator who is paying for rehab for group therapy is a little less likely to commit a crime within the group, because he or she is known to them.

IMO, of course. 

• Love 1

Surely, Sherlock's NA group is not the only one in all of New York City -- couldn't he find another group a little more anonymous?  I know, it's not as dramatic for Show purposes, but in real life, people must need to change groups occasionally, no?

• Love 4

I would think even just switching the normal day/time might have potential for a substantial change in who were there.

That said, I don't think the issue with the meetings is just that one guy, or those existing people in the "usual" group. He's got a trust issue now. Even though the premise of the program entails anonymity, someone clearly thought little enough of that to break his. So no matter where he goes, he can't trust there won't be another. And the meeting, I think, was never the most important aspect of it for him. It was just having a structure. Makes perfect sense with his a la carte comments, that he would want to just find some other structure for himself, but wanting to go to support Alfredo was nonetheless quite reasonable/supportive/kind of him, given his own likely strong misgivings and/or discomfort.

• Love 4

Last, but not least, I was very distressed at a huge grammatical error: Sherlock, interviewing the client about the missing nurse said "you and her" when it should have been "she"! There is no way that Sherlock is unaware of the proper use of the nominative case!

What was the entire sentence? I followed you and her down the street is right isn't it?

Thanks to all discussing NA. The monopoly on the *A approach, with its helpless/higher power model, has always bugged.

• Love 2
However....AA/NA does lend itself to 13 step crimes because it's free, anonymous, and open to anyone at all. A possible predator who is paying for rehab for group therapy is a little less likely to commit a crime within the group, because he or she is known to them.

That's true but it's never stopped psychiatrists from molesting their patients.  

As for NA/AA, it works for some and it doesn't work for some.  Sherlock needs to find the solution that works for him; it may be meetings online, it may just be he and Alfredo, who he seems to trust.  

• Love 1

What was the entire sentence? I followed you and her down the street is right isn't it?

I did not save it on my dvr, but no, that was not the sentence (& yes, what you wrote is grammatically correct.). It was something along the lines of "where you and her work" or "you and her work at X." It is the kind of error I hear all the time in the real world, and it drives me crazy.
  • Love 1

Although I can agree that the AA/NA programs are not the be all and end all of addiction programs, my take on this episode was not that it pointed out that Sherlock would be better off without them and that his work would provide the structure he needs.

I took, instead, from the bereft expression on his face at his last, silent, meeting, that the blogger had robbed him of something that was precious and helpful to him. His sharing at meetings allowed him to be vulnerable, and confront emotions, a very different type of support than the structure of his work. Which, since he is a consultant and not always occupied, is by no means a consistent structure.

His logic and reasons in this episode seem to me to be the very kind of lies he would tell himself so he wouldn't have to deal with his issues, and which will lead him into trouble.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4
Surely, Sherlock's NA group is not the only one in all of New York City -- couldn't he find another group a little more anonymous?  I know, it's not as dramatic for Show purposes, but in real life, people must need to change groups occasionally, no?
But the blog was public and being read by a lot of group-goers from many groups. Sherlock is likely thinking that if he goes to any group and says anything that someone is going to say to him, "That sounds like something I read on a blog that got taken down!"

Also, even though people have to change groups when they have a new home or new schedule, I would imagine it's like trying to find a new church or book club or even a new therapist or starting a new relationship after divorce: It's starting all over again.

• Love 2