Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Eternity Injection

Athena

Basil - thank you thank you thank you!

You are very welcome, DeLurker. Sorry to take so long to respond. Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major has been used before in this show. In the first season (Dead Man's Switch), we hear a young woman practicing a snippet of it off-camera as Sherlock and Alfredo talk to her father - who, if I recall correctly, is/was Alfredo's sponsor. The young woman had been drugged and her rape filmed. The father paid off the first blackmail threat (to put the rape on the internet), but the threats kept coming. Fearing he would fall off the wagon due to the stress, the father reached out to Alfredo as his own sponsor was unavailable, and in turn, Alfredo called Sherlock. The father mentioned that his daughter had finally begun to recover and had only recently taken up music again.

That same piece of music was used to great effect in The West Wing, in the episode Noel. Josh Lymon suffers a PTSD episode as the extraordinary Yo Yo Ma plays at the White House.

Although I can agree that the AA/NA programs are not the be all and end all of addiction programs, my take on this episode was not that it pointed out that Sherlock would be better off without them and that his work would provide the structure he needs.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Sherlock would be better off without NA/AA, least of all the show, which is clearly very pro AA/NA - and yes, to whoever was asking, there are meetings all over NYC, at all hours of the day and night. Sherlock has probably been to several different ones. In fact, he was able to solve a case (While You Were Sleeping) because of something said at a meeting gave him an epiphany.

I took, instead, from the bereft expression on his face at his last, silent, meeting, that the blogger had robbed him of something that was precious and helpful to him. His sharing at meetings allowed him to be vulnerable, and confront emotions, a very different type of support than the structure of his work. Which, since he is a consultant and not always occupied, is by no means a consistent structure.

This was canon Sherlock's issue as well. I would just hate to have the show make Sherlock backslide because of his current reluctance to speak at meetings as opposed to finding another form of treatment/therapy.

All that was missing this episode was Clyde.

I think they were afraid Clyde would eat Joan's breakfast ;)

• Love 1
I think they were afraid Clyde would eat Joan's breakfast ;)

You are right.  I thought Sherlock had made that healthy breakfast because Watson had gone Paleo, but it is more logical to assume that Sherlock  developed of those fruit-cutting knife skills while catering to Clyde's tastes.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

I laughed when he said he'd just taught himself [to play the bugle] that morning so that he could wake Joan up.

I wonder where he went - in the morning - to teach himself that?

• Love 3

I wonder where he went - in the morning - to teach himself that?

I wondered if he was jut being sarcastic, but since it's this Sherlock, I'm guessing he used some sort of silent technique for most, if not all of it. Or he went to the park.
  • Love 3

The AA conceit is wearing on me. It is not the only solution for addicts and is quite harmful to some (lack of anonymity, as we've seen, for one). The insistence on the belief of a higher power. Also the concept that all drugs are equally bad. Sherlock's problem was with heroin, not alcohol or marijuana. One has little to do with the other, in most cases.

Me too.  And its not that AA/NA can't be extremely beneficial for some people; it absolutely can.  I just don't want to see X number of seasons of this show of Sherlock struggling with his sobriety and being pushed into an "all or nothing" position regarding any kind of intoxicating substance.  I think that takes the character too far from the canon rationale that Holmes would do whatever it took to still his mind when he didn't have something to apply his energies too.  I get it that this Sherlock had the complication of Irene's "death" pushing him over the edge with heroin, but I'd still like to see a more nuanced approach where there are substances he'll dabble with, just not heroin because that constitutes a "failed experiment."  Otherwise, this whole thing gets really tedious for me.

• Love 1
I wonder where he went - in the morning - to teach himself that? - basil

I wondered if he was jut being sarcastic, but since it's this Sherlock, I'm guessing he used some sort of silent technique for most, if not all of it. - shapeshifter

I'm picturing the roof.  *GRIN* - sinkwriter

I can absolutely see Sherlock learning the bugle on a whim. I'm not sure it's the kind of thing you can learn silently, though - it's all to do with the shape of your lips, etc. I don't think a bugle has keys. I'm with sinkwriter. I can see it now, Sherlock on the roof, practicing his bugle, serenading the neighborhood and checking out his bees,, the Manhattan Skyline in the background. 

Apparently, one can learn to use a bugle in 5 minutes.

http://tapsbugler.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/5-Minute-Bugle-Course.pdf

• Love 6

DeLurker, as others pointed out, the piece from the episode is from Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites, Suite #1 in G Major. I love the Unaccompanied Cello Suites, and would suggest Yo-Yo Ma's recording (for me it's the definitive version). Suite #2 is absolutely gorgeous, btw.

Meanwhile, I loved this episode and thought it offered up some of the best aspects of the show -- a genuinely unique and fascinating storyline, some lovely interactions between Holmes and Watson, and Holmes's terrific character moments, like his smart (and very funny) solution to the Twilight love triangle. I laughed out loud.

It's interesting, I don't find this show gritty or depressing at all -- I actually prefer this Holmes to the Moffat Sherlock (no matter how scrumptious I think Cumberbatch is in the role) precisely because, for me, there is a consistent and subtle humanity and sense of hope to this show and this Holmes that is often absent in many other explorations of the character. This Holmes's addiction makes him more human to me, more accessible. He sees the worst in human behavior but people can and do surprise him. He also has moments of great vulnerability and nuance, and I always look forward to those.

For me, this season has been just terrific thus far. If they'd only utilize Gregson and Bell a bit more, I think the ensemble really works, and I find Kitty and Watson to be good teammates -- their edges compliment each other.

And I just love, love, love that with this show there isn't any underlying sexual tension, nor are scenes blocked that way, for the most part. I love that the show actively seems to avoid those situations because they just don't apply here. I'm usually an easy shipper, but I really never, ever want Holmes and Watson to hook up. There's no manufactured tension there, and I never want there to be. There's a purity to their friendship that I love, and it was exemplified very nicely by their talk here about his addiction.

I loved the ending here as well, wondering what the old man was experiencing in his time-bending dreams -- heaven, or hell?

• Love 6
The AA conceit is wearing on me. It is not the only solution for addicts and is quite harmful to some (lack of anonymity, as we've seen, for one). The insistence on the belief of a higher power. Also the concept that all drugs are equally bad. Sherlock's problem was with heroin, not alcohol or marijuana. One has little to do with the other, in most cases.

I am confused by this.  Years ago, I remember Lawrence Taylor saying, after he got sober from cocaine, that he decided to have a glass of wine and within a week was doing cocaine again.  Sure Sherlock's problem was with heroin, but life can be lived quite happily without alcohol or marijuana.

• Love 1

I am confused by this.  Years ago, I remember Lawrence Taylor saying, after he got sober from cocaine, that he decided to have a glass of wine and within a week was doing cocaine again.  Sure Sherlock's problem was with heroin, but life can be lived quite happily without alcohol or marijuana.

I'm not the OP, but since I have the same problem, I'll try to add some clarity.  It isn't that life can't be lived happily without alcohol or marijuana -- or cocaine, or caffeine, or sugar, or whatever.  It is that modern notions of dealing with substance abuse, as exemplified in this case by AA/NA, are based on two notions:  1) that the only sobriety is 100% sobriety; that is, no one goes to AA to make sure they limit their alcohol intake to two glasses of wine a week -- they go and count the days/weeks/years since they had a drop; and, 2) that everyone who becomes addicted to a substance is by definition an "addictive personality," and that this is bad, and that the person is in danger from every other potentially addictive substance out there.

Maybe, for Lawrence Taylor, wine was a sufficient inducement to head back to his addiction of choice; I think I remember an interview with a performer (Elton John, maybe?) who said something very similar.  It's probably true for these people; it's also boring as heck to watch, and Elementary is supposed to be entertainment.  This Sherlock Holmes has a problem with heroin.  He beat it.  It's boring for both him and frankly for me to watch the endless stream of meetings and constant vigilance in "staying sober."  I want to see Sherlock only go to the occasional meeting, have a glass or more or wine occasionally, and generally have beaten his specific addiction with mental discipline.  

• Love 3

Maybe, for Lawrence Taylor, wine was a sufficient inducement to head back to his addiction of choice; I think I remember an interview with a performer (Elton John, maybe?) who said something very similar.  It's probably true for these people; it's also boring as heck to watch, and Elementary is supposed to be entertainment.  This Sherlock Holmes has a problem with heroin.  He beat it.  It's boring for both him and frankly for me to watch the endless stream of meetings and constant vigilance in "staying sober."  I want to see Sherlock only go to the occasional meeting, have a glass or more or wine occasionally, and generally have beaten his specific addiction with mental discipline.  

Suppose this show had gone with Sherlock in wheelchair.  Say setting it past some version "Reichanbach Falls" where he broke his spine beating Morarity.  Would you complain about being tired of him in the wheelchair and say that the show needs to have him walking with a limp having beaten his crippling with "mental discipline?" 

No, it's not the same thing, but the point remains.  Mental difficulties, including addictions, are real things.  You don't beat them with "willpower" or at least not with willpower alone.  It's not going to work to tell an agorophobic to "just gut through it and go outside" than it will to tell a double leg amputee to "just stand up and walk."

Finally, no, Sherlock didn't "beat" heroine addiction,  at least not in any final way.  Heroine is always going to be there, like some pale prostitute constantly whispering "C'mon, Sherlock, stick it in.  It'll feel soooo good to just stick it in."

For me, I like the meetings.  I like that we get to taste a little of the repetition and tedium that goes along with them.  That stuff brings me closer.to Sherlock and his head space.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3

I am confused by this.  Years ago, I remember Lawrence Taylor saying, after he got sober from cocaine, that he decided to have a glass of wine and within a week was doing cocaine again.  

Happens to some. Not all.

Personally I'm fine with Sherlock keeping 100% sobriety on the show and fine with him sticking with 12-steps, but I continue to appreciate that they presented a few ideas that were less absolute/AA-dogmatic.

Speaking of, I must not have been paying close enough attention to the episode with the blogger. My understanding was that he just posted pieces of wisdom that Sherlock shared in meetings. My understanding (which includes many years and different venues of experience) is that it's not a violation. If I hear someone say something wise in a meeting, I can say it outside of a meeting. I just can't attribute it. Obviously you can say things outside of meetings that were said in the rooms -- otherwise 12-step-speak wouldn't be so well-known in contemporary culture. Much of what's considered AA canon is not actually in any of the literature. 

That said, did I miss something? Was he actually sharing Sherlock's stories or offering up possibly-identifying information? I was a little puzzled by that one.

• Love 1
I am confused by this.  Years ago, I remember Lawrence Taylor saying, after he got sober from cocaine, that he decided to have a glass of wine and within a week was doing cocaine again

Thank you, Boton, you actually spoke very much as I would have. I don't understand what's so confusing. Lawrence Taylor was addicted to both alcohol and cocaine (including crack cocaine). He was in and out of rehab many times for both substances. He at least twice caused car accidents while drunk and each time fled the scene. He's been arrested for buying drugs,  soliciting prostitutes and tax evasion. He has also been arrested for indulging in his penchant for underaged girls. At one point his wife had to collect him from a crack house, and he also himself said he had for all practical purposes turned his home into a crack house.

Sherlock's addiction was limited strictly to heroin. Each case, each person, is different, and they not only can but should use whatever methods work for them..

Sure Sherlock's problem was with heroin, but life can be lived quite happily without alcohol or marijuana.

What Boton said, plus this: since the dawn of humankind, we have used alcohol and other drugs in rituals, for medicinal and yes. recreational purposes. The vast majority of people don't have problems with it. For those who do, there are a myriad of treatments.

Suppose this show had gone with Sherlock in wheelchair.  Say setting it past some version "Reichanbach Falls" where he broke his spine beating Morarity.  Would you complain about being tired of him in the wheelchair and say that the show needs to have him walking with a limp having beaten his crippling with "mental discipline?"

No, it's not the same thing, but the point remains.

It's not even remotely close to the same thing. One is a physical problem that cannot be corrected with today's medicine, the other is a mostly mental issue that can be kept in check with therapy, and yes, discipline (Geting rid of the physical addiction, as any addict will tell you, is the easier part - it's the psychological addiction that gets you.

Either way, your hypothetical broken back does not involve repeated meetings with other people with broken backs in an attempt to fix your broken back, using a method that insists that its method is the only correct one. I'm afraid your point is completely lost on me.

Mental difficulties, including addictions, are real things.  You don't beat them with "willpower" or at least not with willpower alone

Willpower and therapy are exactly how addicts maintain sobriety. Antabuse doesn't work, nor does prohibition. No one can force an addict to stop using. They have to do it themselves. As I said before, I have two friends, one who was a heroin addict, the other addicted to crack. They lost everything and were homeless for years. They tried several programs, rehabs and types of therapy before they finally made up their minds and got cleaned up on their own. If it were up to one of my friends' programs, she would still be on a daily dose of methadone.

Decades later, they both occassionally smoke marijuana and drink. Both have been clean of hard drugs for decades, own homes and hold down high-paying  jobs (one owns a restaurant).

I have a third friend who was an alcoholic. He was an angry drunk and badly injured a man in a drunken fight. He went to AA but kept falling off the wagon. He kept attending meetings, but after taking back to drink time and time again, he began using marijuana again, which he had used before but never had a problem with. He continued going to AA (still does). He is over ten years alcohol-free and owns his own (quite successful) business now. AA/NA tells him he is a failure because he is honest about his occasional marijuana use. I think he and my other friends are tremendous success stories

A good support system is very important, of course, and AA/NA do offer that, but there are many other therapies that offer support networks without having to submit to group think and a higher power.

There is no one size fits all situation. Whatever works for you works. The system is al a carte, and for some people, it has to be.

Edited by basil
  • Love 4

I liked seeing Alfredo Llamosa. Both Alfredo and Joan were questioning why Sherlock was skipping his meetings. Both in their own way were trying to help him and understand why he doesn't want to attend. Alfredo saw he was quiet at last few meetings. Alfredo tried to talk him into going with him. He finally did convince him to do it for him. Joan had a little to do with that decision I bet. She did offer to return to the brownstone to help. But Sherlock is learning to control his urges himself. That is great to keep him on the Wagon. And maybe another reason why the guy did the BrainAttic with mostly Holmes's muses.

I do agree from above that most who beat one addiction add another to replace it. My father gave up smoking, and took up eating more. He gained a lot of weight. But he started eating candy and lollypops, and moved to food.

The Security System was interesting. Sherlock figured out how to beat it,with electric-pulses scrambling it. Ofcourse. "Odin took Photograph" said Alfredo. Odin also talked.

The work for "Twilight" was cute too. And Sherlock hated it.

Nice that Joan now has a key from Kitty. Then she don't have to keep picking the lock because Sherlock is to busy to answer the door. It was funny. Sherlock's bugle revelry was also funny. He just taught himself to play it. Also nice to see Sherlock on the floor thinking.

It is hard to think about people being used as guinea pigs to test time altering drugs. Joan's friend Shauna Milius needed her help to locate Marrisa Ledbetter. Sherlock put his self into that investigation. Maybe he was bored with Odin and Twilight and Alfredo's questions?? Shelock did do the dumpster dive to find her body. Then we find out that Christopher Jacoby is missing too. Wife, Sarah,said he was out of work. Thought it funny that Captain Gregson asked if Holmes brought a kid to work today. Mason is older then he looks. Christopher Jacoby found dead in a park. His journal hopefully helped them. He killed Marrisa. Louis Carlisle found alive, I hope he can be helped. 2 others also missing? The rich man Jack Connaughton backing the experiments was an interesting angle. I was thinking who would take it if it was not proven? But he paid a good amount to have them try it. And having Dr. Dwyer Kirk behind the tests may make the person more at ease. But I wasn't sure about the Guinea Pigs being killed to protect the testing? Wouldn't that raise some flags? Or the skitzo testing raise more flags? At end they find that Connaughton had been injected. So I wonder if it was worth it?? Did his assistant Brett Won injected him?

• Love 1

No, it's not the same thing, but the point remains.  Mental difficulties, including addictions, are real things.  You don't beat them with "willpower" or at least not with willpower alone.  It's not going to work to tell an agorophobic to "just gut through it and go outside" than it will to tell a double leg amputee to "just stand up and walk."

Actually, I would find that set-up fairly interesting.  But for me, you have two different set-ups there.

One is, hypothetical-Sherlock is a double amputee, in a wheelchair for life.  Non-negotiable, plus or minus prosthetics.  He has to deal with the real, physical effects of his injury.  He could conceivably say that he's achieved all of the benefit he can from a support group and/or physical therapy and devise his own way of remaining as mobile as possible.  I've read stories of people using their own yoga practice for this sort of thing.  He could break free from a structured recovery environment and take his own path.

But what if the injury had both a physical and a psychological component.  I'm thinking of what they used to call a spinal "bruise" in WWI, and I don't know what that would correspond with today.  But once the physical injury has healed, he could still fear going down stairs unassisted, or being on his feet for a long time.  That's a psychological component.  It doesn't make it not real, but he could address the physical components with physical therapy and the psychological components with psychological therapy.  And that mental work doesn't have to be in a group-counseling, 12-step setting.  

That's what I'd like to see here.  I'd like to postulate that this Sherlock has made it through the biochemical impact of heroine, and now he needs to keep away from it.  There's nothing that says that he has to go to an AA/NA meeting to do so, or that he has to abstain from every other chemical on the planet to be clean from heroin.

• Love 3

I could see Sherlock trying to come up with different, unusual ways to help himself, almost like they were experiments. He does love the mental challenge of things. To come up with an alternative to a program that he sees as faulty or problematic (after what happened to his privacy) - I can't imagine what he'd come up with but given his unique perspective on things, I think it has the potential for fascinating (and at times even funny) results.

• Love 3

At end they find that Connaughton had been injected. So I wonder if it was worth it?? Did his assistant Brett Won injected him?

I think he injected himself when Brett was at the station being questioned.

I just don't see the purpose of time altering drugs when it's all in your head; it's not like you can actually do anything faster (or slower).  And the rest of the world is still moving along at its regular pace.

• Love 1

There is no one size fits all situation. Whatever works for you works. The system is al a carte, and for some people, it has to be.

That's all fine and congratulations to your friends on their success, but your point is also my point.  Yes, for some it has to be a la carte.  Other people, though, need the full seven course meal.  Sherlock seems to be one of those people.  As of the last episode he's missing meetings and choosing not to share when he does attend.  He's also compared maintaining his sobriety to to a leaky faucet in terms of pointless drudgery.  I think it's pretty clear that Sherlock had a system that worked and now he's dropped part of that system, so the system isn't working as well.

I predict that Sherlock will try some a la carte method and that it will probably lead to false hope and a relapse.

• Love 2

He's also compared maintaining his sobriety to to a leaky faucet in terms of pointless drudgery.

Maybe it's just my interpretation, I'd have to rewatch the scene, but upon first viewing I remember feeling incredibly sad for him because it seemed like he was not only comparing sobriety to a leaky faucet (monotonous and dull and constantly the "same") but also seemed like he was comparing life itself to that. As if it had been a while since something had truly stimulated him, his mind, body, energy, soul, whatever. I think that's why I felt so happy for him when he played the bugle to wake up Joan, because he said it had been the first time in a while that he felt that kind of spark and he had forgotten what it felt like.

• Love 4

I think he injected himself when Brett was at the station being questioned.

I just don't see the purpose of time altering drugs when it's all in your head; it's not like you can actually do anything faster (or slower).  And the rest of the world is still moving along at its regular pace.

I don't either, unless it does it to everyone some how. But maybe a person like Jack Connaughton, who has a terminal illness, it maybe worth it. He is dying anyway, maybe make months seem like years? But as stated above, is his dreams in heaven or in hell? I guess they will know when and if  he awakens.

Edited by webruce
  • Love 1

Did you ever see The Matrix or Chuck?  Remember the bits where someone would need to learn how to fly a helicopter or speak a different language over a period of a couple of seconds?  This drug is the real life version of that.  It takes 10,000 hours to master a skill, with this drugs and some kind of VR simulation you can master a skill in an hour.  Become a karate master, Asian linguist or neurosurgeon.  In maybe an hour.

• Love 3
Yes, for some it has to be a la carte.  Other people, though, need the full seven course meal.  Sherlock seems to be one of those people. 

This is definitely a YMMV moment. I see the exact opposite. He's said as much.

As of the last episode he's missing meetings and choosing not to share when he does attend.  He's also compared maintaining his sobriety to to a leaky faucet in terms of pointless drudgery.  I think it's pretty clear that Sherlock had a system that worked and now he's dropped part of that system, so the system isn't working as well.

Thanks, this reminded me of a point I keep forgetting to make. It is clear that the program is helping Sherlock, but what has really had been bothering me about Alfredo and Joan nagging Sherlock to attend meetings is that they kept doing so when he's running down a lead - actively working on a case. Has Sherlock ever used work as an excuse to get out of meetings? Sure he has (I seem to recall a stolen penny farthing bicycle and a decades-old arson case), but in this episode, he's working on hot leads.

I think it's out of character for Joan and Alfredo to push Sherlock into delaying work in order to go to a meeting. Work seems to me to be Sherlock's cure - it's true of canon Holmes and Elementary Holmes. While he's working, he has no need nor desire for drugs. When he isn't working, the meetings will still be there.

Most if not all old-timers of AA reach a plateau - a "is this all there is?" moment, and they just soldier on through it. Fake it til you make it, as they say.

Alfredo and Joan were questioning why Sherlock was skipping his meetings. Both in their own way were trying to help him and understand why he doesn't want to attend. Alfredo saw he was quiet at last few meetings. Alfredo tried to talk him into going with him. He finally did convince him to do it for him.

Perhaps I misremember, but I thought it was the other way 'round. Sherlock offered to attend with Alfredo because he (Sherlock) respected Alfredo enough to agree that neither of them would skip the meeting, even if Sherlock himself didn't think it was necessary. I think Sherlock will be contributing to meetings again soon. The threat of losing his anonymity by way of a fellow AA member was a huge betrayal, and a quite recent one. I think it's reasonable to think he needs a little more time to recover from that. At least he has resumed attending meetings.

This drug is the real life version of that.  It takes 10,000 hours to master a skill, with this drugs and some kind of VR simulation you can master a skill in an hour.  Become a karate master, Asian linguist or neurosurgeon.  In maybe an hour.

I predict that Sherlock will try some a la carte method and that it will probably lead to false hope and a relapse.

I will be seriously disappointed if that occurs. For me, that would almost be a bigger shark-jumping moment than having a Holmes/Watson sexual relationship. I like their relationship right where it is. A platonic relationship can have romantic aspects to them that are not sexual, and I think Elementary walks that line quite beautifully.

I predict that Kitty will leave and Joan will move back in, and Holmes will resume his quirky wake-up calls. I foresee Clyde in a tartan sweater, and Holmes in a kilt, playing the bagpipes, having used Connaughton's drug to master the skill.

;) 

Is Clyde, Sherlock or both playing the bagpipes?

Tortoises don't have that kind of breath control. Clyde will be performing on the bodhrán. Perhaps as the bodhrán, with little jinglies attached to his tartan sweater. Kitty on fife. 

Let Joan try to sleep through that.

• Love 6

DeLurker, as others pointed out, the piece from the episode is from Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites, Suite #1 in G Major. I love the Unaccompanied Cello Suites, and would suggest Yo-Yo Ma's recording (for me it's the definitive version). Suite #2 is absolutely gorgeous, btw.

paramitch - thanks for the suggestion.  I bought it and it is lovely.

• Love 1

I wondered if he was jut being sarcastic, but since it's this Sherlock, I'm guessing he used some sort of silent technique for most, if not all of it. Or he went to the park.

They make excellent mutes for brass instruments, especially trumpets and bugles.  With a good mute in he may not have been heard on the same floor, much less the same building. 

• Love 2

Somehow I can't see Sherlock caring much about using a mute, LOL. I imagine he'd want to practice with the "full effect," to make sure his tone was spot on. And despite what he claims about being an excellent housemate, I seriously doubt that declaration. (Heee.)

• Love 2

I wouldn't mind trying a half hour orgasm.

• Love 2

They make excellent mutes for brass instruments, especially trumpets and bugles.  With a good mute in he may not have been heard on the same floor, much less the same building.

I can picture Holmes practicing with just the mouthpiece.  The sounds would be hilarious. 

• Love 1