Type keyword(s) to search

Boy Bands: NKOTB to One Direction, Discuss Here!

methodwriter85
  • Start Topic

I'm watching this retrospective about New Kids on the Block, and it made me think about boy bands and how they often struggle to adjust to changing tastes as they and their fan base mature.

I'd say One Direction is actually really good at evolving their music- I'm sure they'll stay break up, but Night Changes is actually a pretty good tune that can appeal to more than just the teenybopper crowd.

Here's an article that analyzes why The Wanted didn't break out the way they should have:

Why The Wanted Never Hit the Stratosphere

I feel kinda bad that The Wanted were basically a one-hit wonder in the U.S. They deserve to be bigger here.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

Eh, I'm 29 and male and I'm enjoying 5 Seconds of Summer, so there's no judgement here. LOL. They make me think of what would have happened if you took Fall Out Boy/Blink 182 and then made them more "pop" than just poppy punk.

The Vamps and 5 Seconds of Summer seem to be the "rising" boy bands right now, after Emblem3 flopped pretty hard. I'd say collectively, The Vamps are much cuter, although I haven't heard of their music to really judge.

Edited by methodwriter85
I'd say One Direction is actually really good at evolving their music- I'm sure they'll stay break up, but Night Changes is actually a pretty good tune that can appeal to more than just the teenybopper crowd.

Had never heard their music (save for their first song "What Makes You Beautiful" ... which I didn't know was them), but saw them on Graham Norton last month and really liked that song, which they sang on the show.  Ended up with the CD and it's really an interesting collection. I actually really like it... it doesn't sound as much like "teenage/boy band" music. There's one song on the CD that you could literally picture Fleetwood Mac singing. 

The fact that they've apparently been around and successful for 4 years now is impressive given the fickle nature of teenage girls. 

• Love 1

One Direction has the same ability that N'Sync had- they were able to evolve their sound but not turn off their audience when they did.. I think N'Sync could've gone longer than 4 years if they hadn't broken up. Their last album was pretty good and still holds up- Pop! and Gone are great tunes.

I doubt we'll be hearing that they're still together in 2020, but I don't think they'll flame out the way New Kids on the Block did when tastes change.

My favorite boyband of all time is N'Sync. I saw them in concert back in 99 and was one of the girls they chose to bring on stage when they sang "For the Girl Who Has Everything". I was 13 at the time and just about died when JC sang directly to me. I was always dissapointed that his solo career didn't take off the way JT's did. I actually JC is a much better singer.

I thought The Wanted would be bigger. I admit that I bought their first album and it's actually pretty good.

• Love 1

I was always dissapointed that his solo career didn't take off the way JT's did. I actually JC is a much better singer

I was watching the video for It's Gonna Be Me and I think where J.C. suffered is that while he's clearly the better singer, Justin made sure he looked good on camera and people wanted to watch him. J.C. is a nice looking guy, but he was always making those "I can really sing!" faces lol...

• Love 2
(edited)

Their reign was basically two years- 1988 and 1989, with 1990 being the end.

It really is kind of impressive that One Direction has managed to be famous worldwide since 2010, 2012 in the U.S. Again, they have been really good with "evolving" their music..."You and I" and "Night Changes" are such great pop tunes.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I loved New Kids when I was in high-school. But when Step By Step came out many of my classmates began growing out of New Kids and it was almost dangerous to admit you still liked them.

I remember them from back then. Was really young though. But I liked some of it.

Do The Monkees count? I remember MTV or VH1 used to air the show in the '80s and I loved them. Never got into the New Kids or the bands that followed. The One Direction remind me of the Monkees in some ways , there are a lot of clips of them clowning around back in their X factor days.

Edited by AstaCharles

My favorite boyband of all time is N'Sync. I saw them in concert back in 99 and was one of the girls they chose to bring on stage when they sang "For the Girl Who Has Everything". I was 13 at the time and just about died when JC sang directly to me. I was always dissapointed that his solo career didn't take off the way JT's did. I actually JC is a much better singer.

I thought The Wanted would be bigger. I admit that I bought their first album and it's actually pretty good.

THIS.  Nsync was also my first concert in 98, but I was 18 at the time.  I went with my little sister.  They performed at an amusement park in NY and then a few weeks later we saw them at the Superdome in New Orleans.  JC is my favorite and I totally think he has a better voice than JT.

IMO I think Justin just had a better team around him and went a safer route with a pop/r&b feel to his first solo album.  I have JC's first album and while I enjoy it, it is not as mainstream friendly as JT's album.

I'm not a Britney Spears fan at all (I prefer Christina), but I have to admit that she/her team picks out great catchy songs that suit her.   Selena Gomez reminds me of Britney in this way.  Selena's voice is not the best, but she picks catchy tunes that I love, no matter how much I don't want to like them.

My favorite boyband of all time is N'Sync. I saw them in concert back in 99 and was one of the girls they chose to bring on stage when they sang "For the Girl Who Has Everything".

I listened to this song today, actually. It's funny how it came out during the teen pop craze, but it sounds like a grown-up throwback R&B jam. I wish Justin would go back and listen to some of the stuff he did with N Sync because it sounded more mature and legitimately seductive than most of his solo material. Between "For The Girl..." "Gone" and "I'll Be Good For You", I wish he'd try some of that again. It seems like he channeled that sound a bit on "Not Such A Bad Thing". Ironically, JT sounds most soulful on unabashed pop songs than the hard R&B songs he does.

As far as JC is concerned, I think he messed up trying to be "interesting" and sound too audacious. Justin is a smooth but middling singer (right song, right time). But JC can actually sing, so he could've done more mainstream stuff and made it sound good. Him and Justin were like the two halves of Michael Jackson. Justin was the smooth "Rock With You" early-80s Michael and JC was the late-80s "Give In To Me" yelling Michael.

All that said, "Blowin Me Up (With Her Love)" is better than pretty much Justin's entire solo catalog.

• Love 1

I was more of a Backstreet Boys fan in the infamous Backstreet vs. N'Sync battle and in my tween brain, yes I had moments of disliking the latter because it would be disloyal to Backstreet Boys not to (oh to be young and stupid). That being said, I was still aware enough of N'Sync to know that Justin was going to be huge the moment he went solo which was going to be very soon.

I get the argument that JC is technically the better singer but the sad truth of this business is that talent alone does not always guarantee success. As noted in the Britney versus Christina argument - sure Christina is vocally superior but Britney has far outsold her and had the much bigger career. Even when Britney lost her mind and her personal life was a mess, she STILL had top 10 hits off her Blackout album. That being said, I wouldn't put the Justin and JC discussion on the level of Britney and Christina because I do believe that Justin is incredibly talented.

Yes, JC may be vocally superior but Justin can sing and quite well in my opinion and he is a pretty talented songwriter and instrumentalist. But in my opinion, Justin's success was inevitable because of what the poster above noted about him looking good on camera. But more than that, in my opinion, was that Justin had an incredible charm and charisma about him. Again, I was a Backstreet Boys fangirl and even I always paid attention to and was aware of Justin. He, to me, just had that "IT" factor. That thing that is hard to categorize and specifically pinpoint but you know it when you see it. 

I also disagree that he went the "safe" route - yes, it was Pop/R&B but it veered, I felt, quite away from the stuff he'd done with N'Sync which in that vein made it risky. My sister who had always been an N'Sync and Justin fangirl got Justified and I remember it took me a few listens to really love it because it wasn't what I was expecting at first, at all. Speaking for myself I'll admit I never listened to JC's entire debut album but I heard the two singles, Some Girls (Dance With Women) and Blowin' Me Up (With Her Love) and a few of the other songs. I certainly didn't find any that experimental or outside the box and with Some Girls, I actually thought it was kind of predictable in my opinion and just okay. And while I loved Blowin' Me Up, definitely YMMV because I completely disagree that it is better than anything in Justin's catalog. 

The song that got me to really give the Justified album a chance and grow to love it was Cry Me A River and in my opinion, that song is still one of the greatest pop songs ever. It is brilliant from beginning to end - the moody vibe with the Gregorian chants mixed with beatboxing and a bunch of other sounds was just perfection. And hell, to me Sexyback comes pretty close to pop perfection as well but on that album, Lovestoned/I Think She Knows and What Goes Around Comes Around were amazing stand outs in my opinion.

And while some were mixed on the 20/20 Experience, I liked that Justin didn't go the predictable route of using all the hot EDM producers like Guetta, Avicii, Calvin Harris, etc. to get a more "current" sound and went with what he wanted. I loved Suit + Tie and think Mirrors was one of the best pop songs of the last two years. I will say that Bruno Mars has snatched his crown though. In my opinion, if there is anyone who has created music better than anything Justin has done, it's Bruno. And even that's kind of debatable because as I said, Cry Me A River still holds its own all these years later.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I'm a Howie girl. I have his solo song "Lie to Me" in my iPod. I can't get tired of it. 

Back in the day, I was a Nick fangirl. That bowl haircut used to turn me on. LOL

I loved Howie back in the day when he had the long straight hair.  What can I say, I was shallow.  As I got older, I became more of a Nick girl.  Preferred his voice to the others.

Oh!  My people!  May I pull up a chair and bring my Nsync/NKOTB lunchbox to the table?

I was 7-ish and saw NKOTB on the Magic Summer tour in NYC while visiting family.  I was totally in love.  Period.  I never saw them when there were THE thing, but as an adult, I've gone to see the many incarnations of their reunion tours whenever they stop at the Amway Center here in Orlando.  They still put on an energetic, amazing show.  They sound good and they can still do the not that difficult moves.  The energy from the crowd is so much fun.  For a few hours, I'm a kid jamming along to Step by Step.  I love that they know their place in the hearts of their fans.  It's good nostalgia.  

I was 16 or 17 when Nsync became a thing.  I didn't think anything of them at first, but it was a gradual "okay, I love everything I hear on the radio" and I pretty much fell out when I realized JC and Justin were MMC JC and Justin (I loved that show).  I was a big, big fan and thanks to the beginning of everything that ever existed being placed on the internet, I caught up quickly.  I was always a JC girl.  I appreciated JT, but JC was always my fav singer and dancer of that group (boy was smexy...go back and look at some of those dance routines, like Digital Getdown).  I loved JC's solo album, but I thought the singles sucked and were the weakest on the album.  I stand by the moments of brilliance on that album (Lose Myself & Dear Goodbye were lovely, lovely songs, as well as his songs with Basement Jaxx), but he was overshadowed by JT's momentum.  I'm sad he's decided against recording since.  I miss that voice.  

Meanwhile, I've always liked JT's musicality and liked his first couple of solo efforts, but I found the long awaited 20/20 to be disappointing (the supporting tour was, however, AMAZING...JT could always put on a show).  I was struck listening to Ed Sheeran's latest album that those songs should have been the kind of stuff JT should be putting out and felt disappointed all over again.  I know he has branched out to do other things and that's my little bleach blond frizzy haired JT, but I missed the pop revelations from Justified and Future Sex/Love Sounds.  

• Love 1

I would say my 13 year-old self is jealous, but I won't lie, my 28 year-old self is jealous as well.  

My two cents on the JC/JT successes - even JT says he thought JC was the best singer in the group.  I just think Justin is smarter - throughout his solo career, he's been pretty smart about which producers to attach himself to/work with in order to produce a successful album.  

• Love 4

I loved Howie back in the day when he had the long straight hair.  What can I say, I was shallow.  As I got older, I became more of a Nick girl.  Preferred his voice to the others.

I'm the opposite. As a pre-teen/teen, I was all about Nick. He was cute and totally that baby-faced type that I went for at the time.

Now, it's all about Howie. He just got really gorgeous and all Latin sexy.

As far as best voice, I'd go with A.J. though I think they're all very talented vocally.

I'm just so weak for boybands. Sure, BSB is my fave group, but I listened to them all. I even like One Direction now.

Does Boyz II Men count as a boyband? Man, they could harmonize like no-one's business.

Have you guys watched the Backstreet Boys movie? There's a song they sing in the middle of the movie - one they're writing themselves - that goes like this, "turn the radio up, I wanna hear a song" AJ's voice is incredible singing it. 

Hey, I go back to the Jackson 5, if you want o call them a Boy Band. 

But I still am intrigued by Boy Bands. I did like N'Sync and It's Gonna Be Me is a standout song. Perfect. I would also put Backstreet Boys I Want It That Way as one of the best pop songs ever. It is so melodic, sweet and achingly wonderful.

Now dare I say that one of the best boy bands was New Edition. Man, they had that old school bubblegum RnB groove. Cool It Now (Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky and Mike...) Telephone Man. 

One Direction is a good group, though not sure if they are great, yet.They have made good choices with what they choose to release as singles.

I was all about Backstreet Boys when I was younger but now I'm more of a New Kids on The Block fan. I'm a Blockhead and not ashamed to admit it. Personally, their last two albums (2008 released The Block and 2013 released 10) are their best stuff yet. Their voices have matured beautifully and (shallow) look better than ever. Who would have thought weird looking Danny Wood would grow up to be a hot hunk with muscles in places most men don't even have places?

I'm not a concert goer and I've been to less than five "big" concerts in my life. The one I had the most fun with was the NKOTBSB one. So fun to sing those songs. I was never even a crazy Backstreet Boys fan back like my other friends growing up, but to be honest, their songs have held up incredibly well over time. I put them all back on my iTunes after the concert and I still like them a lot. It does remind me of when I first them as a kid. They are still good and I admire the band a lot with what they've been through.

Yes, JC may be vocally superior but Justin can sing and quite well in my opinion and he is a pretty talented songwriter and instrumentalist. But in my opinion, Justin's success was inevitable because of what the poster above noted about him looking good on camera. But more than that, in my opinion, was that Justin had an incredible charm and charisma about him. Again, I was a Backstreet Boys fangirl and even I always paid attention to and was aware of Justin. He, to me, just had that "IT" factor. That thing that is hard to categorize and specifically pinpoint but you know it when you see it. 

I also disagree that he went the "safe" route - yes, it was Pop/R&B but it veered, I felt, quite away from the stuff he'd done with N'Sync which in that vein made it risky. My sister who had always been an N'Sync and Justin fangirl got Justified and I remember it took me a few listens to really love it because it wasn't what I was expecting at first, at all. Speaking for myself I'll admit I never listened to JC's entire debut album but I heard the two singles, Some Girls (Dance With Women) and Blowin' Me Up (With Her Love) and a few of the other songs. I certainly didn't find any that experimental or outside the box and with Some Girls, I actually thought it was kind of predictable in my opinion and just okay. And while I loved Blowin' Me Up, definitely YMMV because I completely disagree that it is better than anything in Justin's catalog. 

The song that got me to really give the Justified album a chance and grow to love it was Cry Me A River and in my opinion, that song is still one of the greatest pop songs ever. It is brilliant from beginning to end - the moody vibe with the Gregorian chants mixed with beatboxing and a bunch of other sounds was just perfection. And hell, to me Sexyback comes pretty close to pop perfection as well but on that album, Lovestoned/I Think She Knows and What Goes Around Comes Around were amazing stand outs in my opinion.

As I said, I veered toward BSB back in those days over N'SYNC or 98 Degrees (hehe). I did notice Justin as well. Everyone knew JC was the better singer, but Justin was savvy from the beginning. He was a child star and knew how to play the game. He had good management, looked great, and really pushed himself to be the poster boy. I was not surprised that he came out on top of that group in terms of being the most successful, but when "Justified" came out, I was surprised how much I loved it.

I love the same songs you mentioned. It's rare for me to love three songs from one pop album, but he did and it wasn't safe. He was going with a trend with using Timberland, but on the pop landscape, his album made waves. He was incredibly smart with that album and worked very hard with it. I don't like "20/20 Experience" as much and these days, I'm not even sure if I like Justin that much anymore. However, I still really like the "Justified" album.

My 14 yo daughter hates hates hates 1 Direction told me some girl in one of her classes today was all torn up over the departure - literally in tears. The other jr high rumor was 64 girls committed suicide because they were so distraught.

I'm a Backstreet Boys girl.  Always have been, always will be.  It makes me smile every time someone grudgingly admits that I Want It That Way or Everybody was their jam.   

Them touring with NKOTB was painful and a really good indication of why NKOTB faded (though they have reunited now) and why BSB has kept it alive.  2 members of NKOTB can sing and I'm sorry but neither of them does that very well.  While I will always carry a thing for Donnie and Jon, the others can fall off a bridge any day.  (Sorry to those of you who love them, I just can't)

I enjoy One Direction and am kind of fascinated by them.  I don't think they will have a single issue being without Zayn.  I've been watching some videos of them lately and he seemed like a serious downer.  It's hard to be around someone who doesn't want to be there and it's clear he didn't want to be.  He was not even close to being the best singer in the group, Harry and Liam have him beat, so I think they'll be fine.  And BSB survived without Kevin so I don't see why One Direction can't last.

The thing with One Direction is they are very smart with their song choices.  Their songs aren't the usual singing about a girls butt or boobs or how hot she is or what he wants to do to her in bed.  A good many of their songs are about female empowerment if you really listen.  What Makes You Beautiful, Little Things, Girl Almighty, Steal My Girl are all songs that celebrate their object of affection without talking about her looks.  In fact they are downplaying her looks in most of the songs.  It's not about how beautiful she is, even tho it's clear she is, it's about other things she does that make her beautiful.

That's genius for a band who's target demographic is young girls who are constantly bombarded by sexualized images of girls like Kendall and Kylie Jenner and Miley Cyrus today.  Here's a band of guys they consider the pinnacle of good looking telling them it's not their looks that the boys are interested in.  

It's no shock to me they are so monstrously popular despite the fact that they are singing sticky sweet pop songs.  

I dunno if someone consciously made that decision or if they even realize they're doing it, but I approve.  If I had a daughter who was obsessed with them, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  They're better than Justin Bieber anyway....

• Love 4
(edited)

I enjoy One Direction and am kind of fascinated by them.  I don't think they will have a single issue being without Zayn.  I've been watching some videos of them lately and he seemed like a serious downer.  It's hard to be around someone who doesn't want to be there and it's clear he didn't want to be.  He was not even close to being the best singer in the group, Harry and Liam have him beat, so I think they'll be fine.  And BSB survived without Kevin so I don't see why One Direction can't last.

When they were on The X-Factor and right when they hit it big, Zayn was definitely a more lively young man.

The thing with Zayn is that he had one of the more distinct voices in the group, along with Harry. When listening to their songs, I can quickly point out Harry/Zayn's voices. It takes me a couple of listens to find the other 3 voices.

The thing with One Direction is they are very smart with their song choices.  Their songs aren't the usual singing about a girls butt or boobs or how hot she is or what he wants to do to her in bed.  A good many of their songs are about female empowerment if you really listen.  What Makes You Beautiful, Little Things, Girl Almighty, Steal My Girl are all songs that celebrate their object of affection without talking about her looks.  In fact they are downplaying her looks in most of the songs.  It's not about how beautiful she is, even tho it's clear she is, it's about other things she does that make her beautiful.

That's genius for a band who's target demographic is young girls who are constantly bombarded by sexualized images of girls like Kendall and Kylie Jenner and Miley Cyrus today.  Here's a band of guys they consider the pinnacle of good looking telling them it's not their looks that the boys are interested in.  

It's no shock to me they are so monstrously popular despite the fact that they are singing sticky sweet pop songs.  

I dunno if someone consciously made that decision or if they even realize they're doing it, but I approve.  If I had a daughter who was obsessed with them, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  They're better than Justin Bieber anyway....

I agree with all of this. Edited by Chrissytd
(edited)

When they were on The X-Factor and right when they hit it big, Zayn was definitely a more lively young man.

The thing with Zayn is that he had one of the more distinct voices in the group, along with Harry. When listening to their songs, I can quickly point out Harry/Zayn's voices. It takes me a couple of listens to find the other 3 voices.

If I had to choose, Louis has the most distinctive voice.  I know it's him immediately.  Zayn was never one where I would immediately pick out it was him.  I just don't think having a distinctive voice is one of the reasons his leaving means their demise.

I don't know these people from Adam.  The only one I pay attention to the way I would one of the Backstreet Boys is Harry (Because I'm sorry but that kid is SO damn funny).  While I get the fans feelings of betrayal and resentment for him leaving because it's scary for them, I can't imagine anyone wanting him to stay unhappy.  Like I said, I barely know them or their personalities but even I could tell Zayn was over it.  Look at him on their SNL performance, he could barely be bothered to move.  I hear people saying things like "Well he just should've finished out the tour and then left."  

And my question to that is....why?  Why should he have done that?  So he could continue giving half assed performances and being a general downer during interviews and appearances?  He's pretty clearly stated that being in the group was not who he was....so why would I expect someone to deny who they are for the next year just to make me happy?  That, to me, is more selfish then his leaving the group.  

I don't think he's an asshole or anything for obviously wanting to leave.  He's still young.  It's hard to be happy and carefree when you hate what you're doing.  People constantly bitch about hating their jobs and wanting to leave.  Why is he not allowed to do the same?

I have no issues with his leaving.  But they aren't my favorite boy band ever in the history of music.  

I know how the fans feel.  Even tho I didn't really care when Kevin left BSB, I'm happy as a pig in slop that he's back.  Maybe Zayn will return as well.  

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 2
(edited)

This happened at my kids' school today.  Blake Lewis, one of the runners up on AI and some teen singer named Becky G performed there as well. 

The robbery couldn't have hit us at a worse time--there were 2 concerts that week, one all district concert and one at Disneyland--and the outpouring from the community, and especially AJ and his foundation was a pleasant surprise. 

Edited by Shannon L.
(edited)

While I get the fans feelings of betrayal and resentment for him leaving because it's scary for them

I thought it had to do with his letter about why he left then the following week his record producer buddy released his solo project song that they had been working on. I was watching an E! News clip on this coverage and it does comes off as a pretty douchey move . The timing is bad but I think the producer was the douche in this. Edited by AstaCharles
  • Love 1
(edited)

I thought it had to do with his letter about why he left then the following week his record producer buddy released his solo project song that they had been working on. I was watching an E! News clip on this coverage and it does comes off as a pretty douchey move . The timing is bad but I think the producer was the douche in this.

Even then I don't think it's necessary to paint Zayn as an asshole.  He clearly stated that being in the group was not who he was.  Why would anyone expect someone to continue on with that just to keep their fans happy?  Sure, he could've said "I'm going solo and that's that folks.  Deal with it." but he's young and I'm sure has people chirping in his ear about how to do things, not to mention trying to mitigate the fall out for his former bandmates.  There really was no way he was gonna handle it without the fandom losing their collective shit over it.  

One solo song, that sounds like it's not done yet, does not a solo album make.  And it is a well documented fact that Zayn was never comfortable with the level of stardom they'd achieved.  So, what he said....not entirely a lie.

Nick Carter went solo in much the same way.  Granted he wasn't on tour, but they were still at the height of their popularity when he struck out on his own.  And the BSB fandom lost their collective shit over it then too.  He was an asshole for going solo while the rest of the group wanted to record....yadda yadda.  Look at what we have now.  Fandom survived, band survived.....Nick learned a good lesson.  

Edited by CaughtOnTape

A girl, who from what I can tell was a fan, responded to Donnie about Jon being able to sleep when nothing was expected from him when he's on stage (I dunno what Donnie tweeted to begin with).  Which....I mean....let's be honest, it's true.  He came back at her and responded, telling her she had a nasty cunty attitude.

The amount of fans who jumped down this poor girl's throat is sad.  When we've started defending a man for calling a woman a c*** instead of taking him to task for it, that's a problem.  He was raised by an excellent mother who would be disappointed if she knew he chose to respond like that.  I can't defend him for it.  He's an asshole, I don't care what she said first.  He's a celebrity and I'm quite sure that's not the first time someone's been rude to him on Twitter.