Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/fox-getting-big-bucks-empire-season-finale/138804

Fox Getting Big Bucks For 'Empire' Season Finale

Buyers say there is strong demand for limited commercial inventory in the highly rated series

Fox is cashing in on its new hit series Empire by getting between $500,000-$600,000 per 30-second commercial in the show’s finale, according to media buyers.
The amount is several times what the show sold for in the upfront—between $120,000- $150,000. But that was before the show debuted and its ratings began a historic week-after-week climb to become the highest-rated drama on broadcast television.

• Love 3

Yeah, the cast was talking about their shiny new Rolexes at the Emmy Q&A. Very generous of Fox. If this show's pace maintains (or lawd, gets even higher), salary re-negotiations for Terrence and Taraji are going to be sky high!

• Love 3

I think Taraji deserves ALL the money she asks for. I know she was the only reason I recorded the first show, and the only reason I decided to watch it about three days after it aired. Since then, I've fallen in love with the show, but before I watched, I was sure it wasn't going to be of any interest to me. I think everyone else deserves a raise too for delivering. :)

• Love 9

The View has been all Empire this week, with Raven-Symone co-hosting and various members of the cast appearing.  Yazz and Jussie were on today and sang together.

I read that Empire is the most-tweeted show, last week's show had over 750,000 tweets as it was airing.

• Love 1

Hulu got the first season streaming rights.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/966/hulu-nabs-streaming-rights-to-empire-watch-it-now/

Need more Cookie? Empire doesn't return for Season 2 until next season, but in the meantime, Hulu has struck a deal for the exclusive streaming rights to the show. All episodes will be available on Hulu Plus for subscribers to the service starting today.

Under terms of the subscription video on-demand (SVOD) deal, all future episodes of Empire will also appear on Hulu Plus the day after its initial broadcast on Fox.

"Empire is truly a television phenomenon,"  says Craig Erwich, Senior Vice President, Head of Content for Hulu. "Since its premiere, the series has remained one of the top shows on Hulu and we are ecstatic to be the exclusive streaming home to the biggest show of the year."

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

Half hours:

Fox – Empire (Season finale)
Viewers: 15.19 million (#1), A18-49: 5.8/21 (#1)

Viewers: 15.96 million (#1), A18-49: 6.2/20 (#1)

Viewers: 17.28 million (#1), A18-49: 6.7/21 (#1)

Viewers: 17.65 million (#1), A18-49: 6.9/20 (#1)

Fun facts:

EMPIRE has now surpassed The Big Bang Theory to be the #1 broadcast show of the season in Adults 18-49. This is based on originals – no repeats factored in!

• The season finale of EMPIRE (9-10pm hour) is up +79% versus its premiere (3.8/11) in Adults 18-49 Live + Same Day.
o Over the course of its freshman season, EMPIRE has displayed the most substantial growth of any new broadcast series in over eight years (since Men In Trees, +82% in 06/07 season, which debuted on a Friday and then moved to another night)
• EMPIRE’s Live + Same Day rating (6.8/21 from 9-10p) is TV’s highest rated freshman finale in nearly ten years since Grey’s Anatomy’s first season finale on 5/22/05 (9.8/24).

• EMPIRE’s Live + Same Day rating (6.8/21 from 9-10p) is the highest for any regular broadcast drama in over five years since House 9/21/09 (6.8/17). Excludes post-Super Bowl telecasts.

Twitter

• Last night’s EMPIRE finale garnered 2.4 MILLION tweets during the on-air broadcast (per Nielsen Social Guide). TWO POINT FOUR MILLION!

WOW WOW WOW.

Source

• Love 9

Ha, this is just so awesome.  I honestly don't think anyone, even the creators, predicted this would happen.  But, those are Walking Dead numbers right there.  And, close to 7.0 for the final half hour?  Insanity.  Pure, awesome insanity.

Interesting looking at it's time-slot competition.  Survivor was even, but both CW shows (Arrow/Supernatural), took sizable hits.  I wonder if there are a lot who watch both.  I know I usually watch Arrow at 8 p.m., but saved it for On Demand, to watch Empire live.

• Love 2

Crazy! Go Empire! From 5.8 last week to 6.5 for the finale in the key 18 to 49 is beyond great. FOX execs must be dancing in the street.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Malik Yoba is on TMZ Live, he said Lee Daniels called him while making episode 11 and told him he was going to die... And that FOX told Daniels they wanted someone to die in the finale. That angers me. I hate when networks dictate things and I really hope they don't make it a regular habit.

• Love 3

^^ We barely got to know Vernon, and he played an important role in elucidating Lucious' character and past as his closest henchman. Now, with both Vernon and Malcolm gone, there are no grown men on the show, other than Lucious. I was disappointed in this turn of events.

• Love 3

Crazy! Go Empire! From 5.8 last week to 6.5 for the finale in the key 18 to 49 is beyond great. FOX execs must be dancing in the street.

The great thing is both episodes are being counted as separate telecasts by FOX and Neilsen so the 8:00 pm episode got a 6.1 and the 9:00 pm finale got a 6.9. A growth of nearly a full point. Empire also notched a 7.2 in the final 15 minutes. The Season 2 premiere will probably be either comfortably over a 7 or even in the 8's. Edited by RollingStone23
  • Love 2

Hey, who am I to argue against one of the "stars" of CSI: Cyber?  Bow Wow clearly knows quality when he sees it.  Empire can't compete against high-quality dialogue like "Eeenie Meenie Miney Moe.  Catch a gangsta by his toe."  I smell Emmy!

Obviously, all of that was sarcasm!

• Love 9

Isn't that CSI Cyber on opposite Empire? Or is it on at 10… which either way lead-ins really matter for a lot of new shows, so saying anything against Empire is opening himself up to looking bitter.

And the fact that his girlfriend is on Love And HipHop makes his specific "issue" laughable.

• Love 4

I didn't read the quote the same way? I read it as, people were saying, "you're black, you should be in Empire," and he's saying, "we CAN do other things".

After all, he also mentioned basketball, which isn't an Empire reference AFAIK.

I guess I just didn't see anything in that article that dissed Empire or said he would never be on it. But I'm not familiar with his history.

• Love 2

He's right, we can do other things. The Empire universe is a large part of who we are, but it's not ALL we are. Sometimes IDK what's worse, that that's all white show runners show us to be or that for a sizable portion of the black audience, that's all they WANT us to be.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 2

Bow Wow may feel that it stereotypes black culture and he's allowed to think that.  But with the very high numbers in the AA, clearly people think otherwise.  Especially that it's on broadcast/network TV. 

Meanwhile it still boggles the mind that Jonathan from Buffy is the one that came up with the idea for the show. 

• Love 5

Meanwhile it still boggles the mind that Jonathan from Buffy is the one that came up with the idea for the show.

Or he really didn't and we're all under another spell of his ;)

I've seen comments on various sites about "Jonathan made this?!" I too had the reaction. LOL poor Danny I think he's done "Game Change" and other big things on HBO too... But once you're in the Buffyverse there's no escaping...

• Love 5

I found it.

The first season finale of ‘Empire’ aired last night and in a shocking twist, Uncle Vernon (played by Malik Yoba) was killed off – and we know the real reason why.

Now, you’re gonna hear a few folks say that Lee Daniels told Malik that his character was done because he “just needed to kill someone off.” You’re also going to hear a few folks who claim to be close to Lee spin a different story.

All false.

Malik Yoba is back on drugs and he was making everyone on the set uncomfortable. One star of the show even threatened to quit during the 10th episode, but then they upped their pay to convince them to stay. FOX caught wind of what was going on and gave Lee Daniels an ultimatum: “You tell Malik he’s fired or we will.” FOX also threatened to shelve the show indefinitely if Daniels didn’t do as he was told. So he did, and the rest is history

http://whattheeff.ca/2015/03/malik-yoba-fired-from-empire-over-drug-use/

Damn. I hope he gets cleaned up, and can come back from the dead.

Edited by Queena
  • Love 1

Did they finish filming all the episodes before the season started airing? Before it started airing they could have threatened anything because nobody predicted what happened ratings wise.

Could they have been filming when Malik outed Jussie? That was a no-no that would have made the rest of the Lyons part of the cast not happy since they're so close knit.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

I've heard episodes 11 and 12 were the only ones filmed with the show actually airing. And Malik has been doing press for the show throughout if he was so bad on drugs I would think they'd hold off having him promote the show. Terrence Howard seems like a much losser cannon (most of the cast including Malik and even Lee Daniels and Danny Strong have been on GoodDay NY they're promoting Empire a LOT through there but I've yet to see Terrence. Given his strange Oscar appearance I do wonder if there could be a reason.) The show is such a hit I just can't believe anyone would threaten to quit unless he was going around sexually harassing people. His role isn't exactly huge either so he probably films the the least too boot.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

I don't believe it either. Mainly because I've never heard of him being on drugs. Ever. I'm not a huge Malik Yoba fan, but I do read celeb gossip.

I also don't buy that he was killed because he outed Jussie. TH outed Jussie first, and Jussie stated that he was never in the closet. I think they just wanted Malik Yoba off the show.

they're promoting Empire a LOT through there but I've yet to see Terrence.

Terrance did quite a bit of the press rounds in New York late Feb.: he was on Fallon explained his "moment" at the Oscars. (Hint: he partially Oprah because...it's Oprah!)

http://www.thewrap.com/terrence-howard-walks-jimmy-fallon-through-his-super-awkward-oscars-moment-video/

Entertainment Weekly was on set the day they shot the catfight scene and from what I remember it was late January so right about the time the show got renewed.  But this would mean the script would have been ready before the holidays meaning this was a well kept secret for about 3 months that Malik was gone.

Hehehehe I know right? I am really happy for Danny Strong and all the success he`s had post Buffy, but sometimes I do feel like we are all trapped in that episode of Buffy where Jonathan magically took over the whole world, and was the greatest guy ever. 

• Love 2

I don't know if it counts as "In the media", but since a crappy "Myasthenia day" for me today was nicely timed with not having to even try to push myself to work (that I do from home anyway) today, I decided to browse the net, including facebook, to kill the time on my hands from my bed, to see if Lucious' Myasthenia is a topic of conversation around MG sites. Apparently it is. A lot of people are excited, for lack of a better word, that it might get public attention, and there are others already complaining about how it kinda got the brush off once it was first said... I get the feeling a good amount of people that are saying that decided to go watch after hearing about it. I did chime in though that ALS and BiPolar disorder haven't exactly gotten quality attention and they've been factors on the show all season. A few actual media outlets did rub me the wrong way, I know the NY Post is... well... the NY Post but their reacap involved "oh, he only has Myasthenia" and it just seemed so very downplayed and other outlets have done the same "it's so treatable," which basically means to be they did a quick google search that does mention there are treatments but don't bother looking more into how they work/don't work. Going forward, especially since I have heard Daniels, and Terrence mention they want to do ALS justice (same with Trai and BiPolar) they don't just see there are treatments and assume that means it's totally controlable. Because it's not. Not even everyone responds to treatments and some that do eventually can stop... also you can talk to 10 different people with MG and get 10 totally different accounts of what it's like. I haven't been able to find yet anyone from the show talking about the switch to MG (if anyone has, I'd really appreciate a link if possible.), but I really, really, hope they didn't do this so they can drop Lucious having any kind of illness under "he's treated, its fine."

Hehehehe I know right? I am really happy for Danny Strong and all the success he`s had post Buffy, but sometimes I do feel like we are all trapped in that episode of Buffy where Jonathan magically took over the whole world, and was the greatest guy ever.

The Angel-ish 'Power Walk' they edited him doing into the credits of that episode still cracks me up. He's a good actor, I'd like to see him return to acting now and then. If anyone who hasn't seen him on Buffy but is interest in doing so that episode (season 4 "Superstar") or the season 3 suicide one for a more serious look at his acting (episode title "Earshot") are the ones to watch. Netflix and Hulu has all the Buffy seasons.

ETA:

Suge Knights lawyer tried to say the court was going after him "Because they think he's Lucious Lyon"... its so stupid it's worth reading http://www.tmz.com/2015/03/20/suge-knight-bail-hearing-live-collapse-hospital-video/ It's not in the video, just scroll down

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3

Suge Knights lawyer tried to say the court was going after him "Because they think he's Lucious Lyon"

Given that Jamal dangling Baretti reminded a lot of people of Suge dangling Vanilla Ice, the comparison becomes even more ridiculous.  And hilarious!

• Love 2