Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

Yazz and Jussie performed at the BET awards tonight with Terrance announcing "his family." It was so great. Yazz did Drip Drop with Serayah McNeill.  Jussie did the You're so Beautiful version from the episode he performed it.  With the "a man love a man."

He also stopped before he started that verse and gave a speech about how far they've come (gay marriage right to marry in any state) and how much farther they have to go. (South Carolina shooting). 

• Love 5

I guess two Oscar winners wasn't enough (Cuba Gooding Jr. and Jennifer Hudson), because now Marisa Tomei will be having a recurring role next season.

Not feeling this in terms of casting (Too many D listers puts Empire in danger of becoming The Love Boat set in the music industry) because has anyone checked for Tomei in years? Huge come up for her, does nothing for the show. Nor am I feeling the storyline -- do we really need the white girl who "loves" black culture? Why don't they just name her character Iggy Dolezal and be done with it. Hopefully recurring means no more than three episodes.

• Love 2

Yazz and Jussie performed at the BET awards tonight with Terrance announcing "his family." It was so great. Yazz did Drip Drop with Serayah McNeill.  Jussie did the You're so Beautiful version from the episode he performed it.  With the "a man love a man."

Thanks for pointing me to that performance, which I'd have never seen otherwise. And isn't the internet great, because otherwise, I would never have been able to see it at all (we don't get BET on TV, where I live).

I'd just like to point out that the version with the "man love a man" lyrics is officially called the "White Party Version", at least on the EP. Why they don't simply call it the "gay version", which is what everyone really thinks of it as, I don't know. It's a song clearly written, on purpose, to be either explicitly straight, or explicitly gay, and you can't fudge the issue. You can do that with a lot of love songs, and in a lot of love songs you can simply change some pronouns around to gender-flip them, but not in You're So Beautiful. You have to decide whether you'll sing "man" or "woman". I think it's very clever.

It's so opulent and tacky, I love it!

Lucious (and Terrence honestly) seems the type of man who doesn't wear socks. Reminds me of my grandfather, a tiny man with a big personality and a perm, who thought he could run his children's lives. He too was not a fan of socks.

• Love 7

It's the Emmys and they're a bit obsessed with cable. I do think Jussie should've gotten a supporting actor nod though.

Also Lee Daniels may or may not be joking about the show not getting more nods ....

http://deadline.com/2015/07/lee-daniels-empire-emmy-snub-profanity-laced-reaction-1201477636/

Well Im pretty sure that video wasn't filmed yesterday. Lee isn't on set, im pretty sure the video was from when he was directing, sometime last week. So unless he was given a heads up about the emmys, the content of that video wasn't in response to the emmy snub. I think he was simply saying he had to (or was told to) be on his P's and Q's during the emmy consideration and now the nominations are it he can be like f-it.

It would have been nice that the show and Terrance got nods but I can see some voters either not on board with the show or think it's way over the top to buy in and the same would go for him.  

That said if Taraji didn't get in I'd be looking for a fight that would put the Cookie/Boo Boo Kitty one to shame.

Yazz and Jussie performed at the BET awards tonight with Terrance announcing "his family." It was so great. Yazz did Drip Drop with Serayah McNeill.  Jussie did the You're so Beautiful version from the episode he performed it.  With the "a man love a man."

Drip Drop is one of the most cheesiest hip hop songs ever.  and yet I cheesed up when he did it.  Go figure. And I LOVED how the audience sang along to it.

• Love 2

The Television Critics Association press tour for Fox was today.  Here's a sample: 

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/06/7-best-quotes-empire-tca-panel?hootPostID=fdd1b466885621c1fa87ee1eb432bbb6  I like Lee Daniels realizes they need to put the brakes on the guest stars.  Will and Grace suffered the same fate: the guest star eventually overshadowed the core cast.  

And possibly the Young Cookie Chronicles?! 

http://tvline.com/2015/08/06/empire-spin-off-cookie-young-prequel-fox/

Terrance's issues aren't new. They hired him knowing of all his issues with his exes before hand. I don't think the jailing of Lucious is some off screen plot. They filmed that so long ago too.

• Love 2

Yea Im not buying that.

Cookies flashback was brought up by Taraji at the end of last season way back in March plus shes already in the forefront

Don't buy the guest star thing. They are hiring them because they like the fact that big names wanna be on their show. (Don't buy that that has anything to do with Terrence either)

Also Im pretty sure Lucious is out of prison by ep 3, which debunks the whole we wont see Lucious cause he's in jail theory.

Terrance's issues aren't new. They hired him knowing of all his issues with his exes before hand. I don't think the jailing of Lucious is some off screen plot. They filmed that so long ago too.

Right Lucious shot Bunkie in the pilot ep, Im pretty sure they knew way back in the first ep that he would end up in prision in the finale.

And yea FOX and Empire know all about Terrence's issues when they hired him, even though they claim they had no idea, which is such BS.

Edited by aprilbabe

Empire Boss Opens Up About Lessons Learned, Season 2 Guest Star Concerns and the One Twist Pulled Out of a Hat

Highlights

TVLINE | You talk about lessons learned. If you can be candid, is there anything you admittedly decided, “You know what, that didn’t quite work,” or at least on a level you expected it to?
Here’s the big lesson learned: The only thing that I sometimes felt while I was watching the show — and clearly sometimes the audience felt it too — is not so much that we burned through a story too quickly, but that we sometimes didn’t honor the evolution of character in a way that we wanted to, because we were trying to get a story moment. So, we’re trying to be more mindful in the second season of really staying with our characters and paying off something that we set up if it demands to be paid off. I don’t think it will be any less fast-paced, but I hope that we’re better at staying with those character parts.

TVLINE | I think of someone like Andre, where there may have been some nuances you wanted to spend more time with.
Agreed.

TVLINE | There’s been a lot of guest casting this summer. Tell me not to worry about all of that guest casting.
Don’t worry about the guest casting, because Empire is about the Lyon family and they’re always going to be the more important thing. Our rule for ourselves, even though all of these fabulous people are being presented to us on these lovely silver platters, is that we’re going to tell our stories, and if [guest stars] fit into our stories, fantastic. “So-and-so wants to be on Empire, and we’ve got this story, and she would be great as this character.” Every once in a while, we might spend a bit of time figuring out what we can do with a certain person who really wants to be on the show, but if it doesn’t fit, we don’t do it.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

Just over two weeks to go!

Fox's 'Empire' Getting Half a Million Dollars for 30 Seconds of Ad Time

Interesting to note: 

Fox will once again air "Empire" with limited commercials, as it did in its first season.

SUPERFRUIT (Mitch and Scott from Pentatonix, the a capella group that won that NBC competition show, they're on tour with Kelly Clarkson right now) + Empire Mashup Sponsored by FOX

(It's GREAT but how DARE they not do Drip Drop???)

The Age of Empire: Behind the Scenes As TV’s Ruling Hip-hop Label Prepares for Season Two

An excerpt:

Henson had swung by the lobby bar earlier, wearing Alaïa studded black stilettos and elaborate Cookie nails that coordinated well with her tasteful, un-Cookie-like green Cushnie et Ochs dress. She knew the show was a hit by the second episode. “Because I’m an avid social-media user,” she says, ordering a vodka–and–grapefruit juice. “I saw that the word is spreading. And when I started seeing more faces like yours” — she waved her manicure at me, and I’m without a doubt quite white — “on my timeline, I knew we’d crossed over.”

I love Taraji so much!

• Love 5