Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

‘Empire’ Renewed for Fourth Season at Fox

The Lyons are coming back for a fourth season of drama and Cookie-isms.

“Empire” has been renewed for Season 4, it was announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association press tour by Fox Television Group Chairman and CEO Gary Newman. Alongside Newman, Fox exec David Madden said Season 4 will consist of 18 episodes.

The fourth season will return in the 2017-2018 television season.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

Trai Byers on Why It’s Not Always Best to Take Audition Notes

As the eldest Lyon son, Andre, on “Empire,” Trai Byers plays just one of many people scheming for the top spot at his father’s multimillion-dollar record label. But the Yale School of Drama grad’s portrayal is about more than just a hunger for power; he also tackles issues surrounding bipolar disorder, estrangement, and grief. Here, he chats about his audition prep, finding his way into characters, and his personal favorite biopic performance.

Looks like it is, TMZ has a bunch of articles on it. She's not being asked back for sure. 

Her rep in her denial doesn't make it sound though like they have much love for the show. "Nia's rep tells TMZ, "This story is complete nonsense. Throughout her long, established career, Nia has been nothing but a consummate professional treating all members of productions with respect." The rep goes on, "This is nothing but another complete fabrication about a series that has been plagued by constant rumors of drama and misconduct."

http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/23/nia-long-empire-hair-makeup-lodged-complaint-nia-threatened-lawsuit/

http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/22/taraji-p-henson-nia-long-empire-war-feud/

Edited by Artsda
(edited)

Does anyone know if Nia was one of the actresses considered for the role of Cookie? Maybe what caused some of Nia's alleged bad behavior and attitude is jealousy. OTOH, if Taraji knew Nia came close to getting the role instead of her, maybe a little insecurity got the best of her. I imagine the Black actresses in their age group have to be fiercely competitive for the limited roles available to them. It still amazes me how nasty things got when the Olivia Pope role was being cast.

Moving Empire to an earlier time slot seems like a risky proposition to me. That means they'll have to cut back on the sex scenes and probably ease up on violence and edgier language. Sounds to me like it'll be a much tamer show but I'm prepared to be surprised.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
On 5/28/2017 at 10:38 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Does anyone know if Nia was one of the actresses considered for the role of Cookie? Maybe what caused some of Nia's alleged bad behavior and attitude is jealousy. OTOH, if Taraji knew Nia came close to getting the role instead of her, maybe a little insecurity got the best of her. I imagine the Black actresses in their age group have to be fiercely competitive for the limited roles available to them. It still amazes me how nasty things got when the Olivia Pope role was being cast.

Moving Empire to an earlier time slot seems like a risky proposition to me. That means they'll have to cut back on the sex scenes and probably ease up on violence and edgier language. Sounds to me like it'll be a much tamer show but I'm prepared to be surprised.

No, Lee Daniels wanted Monique first. Fox said no. 

http://www.thewrap.com/monique-fires-back-at-empire-creator-lee-daniels-produces-emails-about-cookie-role/

(edited)
On 7/11/2017 at 0:30 AM, Dee said:

Yeah, Star started REALLY rough but improved considerably towards the end of the season.

Did it move past "All About The White Girl"?  (I was sooooooooooooooooo disappointed to find that the focus of what I thought was going to be an ensemble show.)

Edited by jhlipton
On 7/7/2017 at 11:19 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

I haven't watched Star yet and I don't know if this news excites* me in anyway at all. I hope this helps to improve Empire because it was a solid show on its own. I thought they were going to stay focused on improving the writing for Empire. There is so much to explore with all the new exciting storylines they have opened. Stay focused Empire writers, please stay focused. Thank you.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, Dee said:

One of the best news ever. Since Empire started airing, this is THE ONLY guest star I have been excited was coming on the show. Forrest is one of the best actors out there and for him to have accepted this role means the writing/storyline must have been great. I hope the writers do deliver. I can't stress enough how huge it will be for Empire if S4 delivers superb writing and acting. I can't wait. 

• Love 1

‘Empire’ Season 4 to Reduce Guest Stars, Refocus on the Lyon Family

“Empire’s” third season left off on a yet another tragic note for the Lyon family after Lucious (Terrence Howard) was caught in an explosion for which his own family set him up. Without his memory of who his family is, he is relying on his caretaker (guest star Demi Moore) to heal him back to health. While Moore will be an important part of the fourth season, though, executive producers Lee Daniels, Ilene Chaiken, and Sanaa Hamri say the new episodes will see a return to the core of the show, the Lyon family and dynasty.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

'Empire': The Story Behind Season 4's Emotional Prince Tribute

The tribute is timed to the birthday party for Hakeem's young daughter, Bella, that features everything from a Prince cake to a special performance of the Prince song "Let's Go Crazy" by Hakeem (Bryshere Y. Gray) and Jamal (Jussie Smollett).

"It's completely Prince-themed," exec producer and the episode's director Sanaa Hamri told reporters after the Empire panel. "In a celebratory fashion, everybody, all of the cast, is going to be dressed in a Prince theme. Even my crew is going to, to kind of honor him."

The special episode was the brainchild of Hamri, who was close friends with the "Purple Rain" singer going back to 2000 and even directed the music video for his 2004 single "Musicology." "Because I'm a very close friend of the estate, they were very kind to me in allowing us to use a lot of the things that we needed to," she said. "I know in a weird sense he trusts me with his work, he has been for many, so I say, 'Why not do that now and honor him in the best way on a music show?'"

Hamri also revealed Prince watched Empire "religiously" when he was alive. He had previously allowed her to use a song from his Art Official Age album back in season one, and the two had even discussed his making an appearance on the series before he died. "I think this is very much something he would have wanted," she said.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

This was Jussie Smoletts response, on Radio Andy to a question about random people sending him DM ( dick pics). I happened to be in the car and heard it . Radio Andy is Andy Cohen on Siruis XM. Honestly, I was blown away by it and wish he could be broadcast everywhere.

Empire: Alfre Woodard Joins Cast as Cookie's Mother

An ax-wielding Demi Moore is going to be the least of Cookie Lyon’s problems when Empire returns this spring. TVLine has learned exclusively that Alfre Woodard has been tapped to play Renee, the estranged (and extremely formidable, natch) mother of Taraji P. Henson’s leading lady.

Woodard —a four-time Emmy winner — will appear on a recurring basis during the second half of Empire‘s current fourth season, which resumes on Wednesday, March 28 at 8/7c. The actress began shooting her arc earlier this month.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1