Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

Thank you for the interesting links, Trini

The first link, The New York Times piece, was interesting, but I liked that Mr. Howard acknowledged that this isn't supposed to be an all-ages series. Sometimes, to me, it feels like the feedback on obviously adult-centered shows, with adult-centered sensibilities, are dinged for not being 'for the whole family' when it comes to network shows.

As for TV Line's overview? I hope more reviewers feel like that.

So close to premiere!

More reviews:

Deadline review (video)

... As I say in my video review above, this hip hop family drama is shamelessly soapy and fearless fun.... Unlike a lot of similar shows, Empire is smart as well as entertaining and of course, as one would expect, has a great soundtrack. ...

Building an 'Empire'...

At its heart, Fox’s “Empire” (9 p.m. Wednesday, WPGH) plays like an old-school, family soap but the music industry setting gives it a modern vibe that sets it apart from its 1980s-era predecessors. The premiere episode sets up a rivalry while introducing an array of issues, most notably homophobia in hip-hop music.

Rap Game King Lear

Empire is sloppy, politically incorrect, and very good. ...
Generally speaking, the arc of the soap opera is long, and it bends toward insanity. But, one episode in, Empire feels insane in exactly the right measure.

Cinema Blend:

Fox’s dark new drama Empire is so on the nose at times, I’m faintly surprised it wasn’t called TV Series About A Family in the Music Business. Yet despite its numerous shortcomings, Empire has a lot of interesting things happening at once, and essentially functions as a primetime soap opera where you can dance your way through the ham-fisted parts.

• Love 1

Apparently, it was FOX's highest rated new show in years: 9.8 million, 3.7 in the 18-49 demo.  Pretty impressive; even beating the more hyped Gotham.  And, FOX kind of needed this: besides Gotham, I don't think any of it's new stuff did well, and a lot of it's older shows arelosing it's luster.  We'll see how if fares in the upcoming weeks, but I'm glad it started strong at least.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

Apparently, it was FOX's highest rated new show in years: 9.8 million, 3.7 in the 18-49 demo.  Pretty impressive; even beating the more hyped Gotham.  And, FOX kind of needed this: besides Gotham, I don't think any of it's new stuff did well, and a lot of it's older shows are using it's luster.  We'll see how if fares in the upcoming weeks, but I'm glad it started strong at least.

I am happy that this show had a good premiere. :) I would like to see it stay around for a while.

• Love 1

I really hope FOX doesn't try to make this a 'regular' show and stretch out 22 episodes over 36 weeks.  Even if they order more episodes, launch it again in Jan and let it play until May.  

Great news. Given the show's success, I wouldn't be surprised if it soon starts getting some major magazine cover stories, such as Rolling Stone, TV Guide and/or Entertainment Weekly.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

TVGuide snubbed Taraji P. Henson by not putting her on the cover when she supposedly one of the leads on Person of Interest. I hope she refuses to do their cover and does everyone else.

Empire was adjusted up to 4.4 in the key demo in the final ratings. Crazy.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/01/22/wednesday-final-ratings-empire-american-idol-criminal-minds-the-100-adjusted-down/354002/

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

TVGuide snubbed Taraji P. Henson by not putting her on the cover when she supposedly one of the leads on Person of Interest. I hope she refuses to do their cover and does everyone else.

The story I heard, and it could very well be incorrect, is that the decision to exclude Taraji was not made by TVGuide but by CBS. I've also heard it was the network that wanted her gone and not Nolan/Emerson/Cavizel/anyone at the show.

The story I heard, and it could very well be incorrect, is that the decision to exclude Taraji was not made by TVGuide but by CBS. I've also heard it was the network that wanted her gone and not Nolan/Emerson/Cavizel/anyone at the show.

WTF?  I remember the TV Guide snub because Taraji was just coming off an Oscar nomination at the time, so it was especially effed up that she wasn't on the cover.

I hope CBS is eating it now.

• Love 3

I want an Entertainment Weekly cover featuring Taraji, Tracee Ellis Ross and Viola Davis entitled "The New Faces Of TV" or something like that. Make it happen EW!

Great idea! An EW cover story on "TV's New Leading Ladies" featuring Taraji would not only be awesome, the only thing that would make it even better would be if it included Gina Rodriguez from Jane the Virgin.  

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5

I want an Entertainment Weekly cover featuring Taraji, Tracee Ellis Ross, and Viola Davis entitled "The New Faces of TV" or something like that. Make it happen EW!

I actually think a more powerful cover would be to have the stars of the top five dramas on the cover together, which I believe would be Train, Viola Davis, Kerry Washington, Ellen Pompeo and James Spader.

Edited by Tiger

No, it was Nolan he ran all over the Universe telling anyone who would listen it was his idea along with his wife. They wanted a bad ass woman and not Taraji. So they created Shah. He actually flew to her house while they were on hiatus to tell her they were killing her off and they convinced CBS it would be good for the show. Then they sent Taraji on a It was my idea and please don't stop watching black people tour. She never did so much press when she was active on the show. She also said she wanted to do features and was happy to leave television.  Then she signed up for Empire. I bet CBS is kicking themselves that hey didn't use her more effectively on the show and for publicity. 

• Love 1

Some numbers regarding the premiere and the Jan. 21st episode:

EMPIRE Live+7 info for its premiere episode from Jan. 7:

13.950 million viewers (+41% from 9.897 million Live+SD)

5.6 Adults 18-49 (+47% from 3.8 Live+SD)

Live +3 for Jan. 21: 5.9 Adults 18-49 (+34% from 4.4 Live +SD) 

In an interview the person at TV Guide said that they never intended to have Taraji on the cover.

No, it was Nolan he ran all over the Universe telling anyone who would listen it was his idea along with his wife. They wanted a bad ass woman and not Taraji. So they created Shah. He actually flew to her house while they were on hiatus to tell her they were killing her off and they convinced CBS it would be good for the show. Then they sent Taraji on a It was my idea and please don't stop watching black people tour. She never did so much press when she was active on the show. She also said she wanted to do features and was happy to leave television.  Then she signed up for Empire. I bet CBS is kicking themselves that hey didn't use her more effectively on the show and for publicity. 

This is exactly what happened although some of the remaining Person of Interest fans will insist that she quit. CBS has never really been interested in diversity. Taraji was the only leading black woman on a CBS prime time show and I don't think there has been another, since she was fired.

• Love 4

That is interesting. I have never heard that before. I guess I found/find it easy to believe that CBS was to blame because as @SimoneS said above, the eye has never really been interested in diversity. I'm actually shocked that Maggie Q is even promoted for her show and I believe, though I could be mistaken, that she and Joe Montegna are the only minorities in starring roles on that network.

What I find interesting is that all of the networks current development for next season is very white, even ABC & FOX which I believe are far and away more diverse that most other nets including cable when it comes to starring roles.

That is interesting. I have never heard that before. I guess I found/find it easy to believe that CBS was to blame because as @SimoneS said above, the eye has never really been interested in diversity. I'm actually shocked that Maggie Q is even promoted for her show and I believe, though I could be mistaken, that she and Joe Montegna are the only minorities in starring roles on that network.

What I find interesting is that all of the networks current development for next season is very white, even ABC & FOX which I believe are far and away more diverse that most other nets including cable when it comes to starring roles.

Yeah it was all Nolan & co.  CBS is in a very comfortable position of being the #1 network, so they  weren't worried about trying to keep brown faces on their shows.

Of course, that was before #TGIT and of course POI was pulling demo ratings in the high 2s.  So they could shrug off any criticism.  But the ratings have steadily declined since Taraji left and it is now struggling to pull high 1s in the demo.  People of course don't correlate Taraji leaving with the ratings, but I do think it is very telling hat POI was always a top ten show in black households according to the Nielsens when she was on the show, and after she left, POI disappeared altogether from black households.  That is major since blacks and Hispanics make up a disproportionate amount of tv viewers vs. their percentage of population. 

And given the weekly rise in Empire ratings (3 weeks straight) plus the dominance of Shonda-Thursday plus the strong showing of Black-ish, Deadline was reporting that Networks are now looking to diversify and since they are in Pilot season right now, it is a good time to insist on it.  So it will be interesting to see the cast make-ups of new shows in the Fall '15 tv season and see if diversity really is important.

i love that third week in the row, Empire has added more eyeballs. They remain the same in the demo (altho some expect it to adjust up in the finals) it has more overall viewers this week.

• Love 4

I had heard that before.  Nolan is such a douche, he probably thought that Taraji going on TV would convince all us black folk that everything was all right.  What an asshole.  I hope POI goes into the toilet.

Well, POI's ratings declined when it moved to 10 p.m. and CBS has already gotten a syndication deal for it so I doubt that CBS has any regrets. Moonves simply does not care about diversity which says a lot considering that his wife is Asian. We'll see though. CBS' hit shows are aging and there are only so many CSI and NCIS shows that it can churn out. At some point, the reality about the American's shifting demographics had got to hit CBS in the face, maybe in a couple generations.