Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

I read that Macy was supposed to play Naomi Campbell's part.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, Macy, girl.

Fox Plots 'Empire' Season 2: Lee Daniels Courts Oprah, Pushes for Less "Opulence"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-plots-empire-season-2-780553

I wonder who Macy Gray was supposed to play.

I love the graphic they used.

This was a very interesting article. I love the info on the overseas market. I find it hysterical how they look down on the Black American experience while simultaneously mimicking its cultural aspects in all kinds of ways. And what would a Spike Lee-directed episode look like? Would everyone be riding around on dollies? Would we get the Spike Lee cameo? lol I should stop. I love Spike Lee.

• Love 1
What's more, he says Empire will return with more than the first season's 12 episodes, though how many more is a topic of much debate. Co-creator Danny Strong says he's OK with an increased order — given the nature of the storytelling and original music, it won't be a full 22 — but Daniels is vocal about his desire to stay at 12, even suggesting he'll fight an increase: "Bring it on," he tells THR.

Fight the good fight, Lee! No more than 16 IMO, let's keep this show event television please.

• Love 7

Originally Macy Gray was listed in the cast on the show's Wikipedia page as Hakeem's older lover. 

Thank god she acted a fool and got the boot, cause just...NO

Fight the good fight, Lee! No more than 16 IMO, let's keep this show event television please.

I think 16 is a good number. Premiere 8 eps in the fall, go on hiatus during the holidays (starting at thanksgiving) and come back and air the last 8 shows after the new year.

Edited by aprilbabe
  • Love 9

What's more, he says Empire will return with more than the first season's 12 episodes, though how many more is a topic of much debate. Co-creator Danny Strong says he's OK with an increased order — given the nature of the storytelling and original music, it won't be a full 22 — but Daniels is vocal about his desire to stay at 12, even suggesting he'll fight an increase: "Bring it on," he tells THR.

They're going to compromise somewhere here. Lee insists 12, Fox insists more, Danny Strong says more but not 22.  It is network tv, so compromising at 16 would be good.

It's also the exactly the same as TWD, so they could even play around with the schedule like AMC does. Break it up into half 8 in fall, other half 8 in February.

• Love 3

Does Lee Daniels have some kind of gambling debt that he's trying to pay off through Empire? Mo'Nique as Cookie? Macy as anyone sexy? But, especially sexy to a 19-20 year old boy? And then on top of that, he wants to bring on these extra nut jobs to work with his currently stable nut job in Terrence? Is he the producer or a mole to bring Empire down from the inside?

Edited by Kendall
  • Love 7

The Macy Gray as Camila is a huge WTF. I could more see her as Courtney Love's character, but Hakeem's love interest. No way.

Macy Gray would have made more sense in Ellie role than Courtney Love. Granted, I'm a huge Courtney Love and enjoy her as Ellie but Macy Gray would have made more sense a diva on Empire's label.

Though, Macy has more of a motherly physicality than Noami. With Hakeem's mommy issues, Macy is more mother than Noami, so I could see her in that role too.

So, Season 2 will be less "opulence" and we'll see more "poorer-class" African-American storylines? Through who's POV? Does Jamal stay in the inner-city and they expand from there? Does Cookie say FU to Lucious and Empire and start her own inner-city label out of that cereal bowl eatin' engineer's studio? Does he boot Hakeem out to make him hard? Or, will they make the same mistake they did with Season 2 of The Wire where they focused on Docks/Union and not the characters we enjoyed during the first season.

If Oprah comes on board, which I'm sure she will because Lee is the son she never had, I'd like to see her play a ghetto-type. Something completely outside of the Oprah we know. Even in other roles, I still see her as Oprah. Dirty her up some. Look at her as Sofia in The Color Purple! Brilliant. Chilling. Hopefully she will step outside of herself as an actress. She had the ability. Perhaps as a prisoner in a Cookie-prison flashback? Someone who helps Cookie get over the pain of being separated from her children. Or someone who gives Cookie a hard time in prison. (I've done mental health in prisons. Cookie's hair is rough, which shows she is not high on the hierarchy.)

Edited by CofCinci
#EmpireFOX does it again: Last night's episode notched a preliminary 14.7 million viewers, up vs. last week's prelim of 14.2 million.

I'm thinking next week is gonna have 16 million viewers, hopefully more because I'm assuming all the people who watch later are going to want to watch live next week.

Final numbers: back at 5.8

It's also the most tweeted about show in ALL of TV for the season, surpassing the Walking Dead.

Wow - I literally cannot believe the success of this show... so, so proud of it.

*wipes away a tear*

Oh and they went up in viewers again too - even with the same rating. DANG! Do it show!

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 7

not sure where to put this but I found it funny.  When I google Empire TV show to look for news the top of the page is an ad for American Crime.  It says Empire not on tonight, watch American Crime.  That cracked me up.

• Love 6

not sure where to put this but I found it funny. When I google Empire TV show to look for news the top of the page is an ad for American Crime. It says Empire not on tonight, watch American Crime. That cracked me up.

That's fantastic, that's when you know a show is a monster hit. However the shows couldn't be more dissimilar and they're not even in the same time slot so it's weird but whatever.

Those ratings make me very happy, the show added over half a million viewers since last week. That's insane. The season 2 premiere is going to be something to behold.

• Love 3

I know the show is against it but I hope they eventually let Trai and Malik perform.

I would add Cookie in that group as well, but I assume it's a foregone conclusion she'll sing, solo, sometime before season two ends.

'Empire': Watch a Live Musical Performance and Q&A With the Cas

The stars and creators from Fox's hip-hop drama will participate in a TV Academy Q&A starting at around 7:45 p.m. PT. - Tonight.

Also Empire is taking over The View next week.

MONDAY, MARCH 16 – Raven Symone guest co-hosts; Nick Cannon (author, Neon Aliens Ate My Homework: And Other Poems); Grace Gealey (“Empire”).

TUESDAY, MARCH 17 – Raven Symone guest co-hosts; Jason Biggs (Broadway’s “The Heidi Chronicles”); Maggie Q (“Stalker”).

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 18 – Raven Symone guest co-hosts; Bryshere Y. Gray and Jussie Smollett perform (“Empire”); Becky Hammon, the first female coach in the NBA.

THURSDAY, MARCH 19 – Raven Symone and Caroline Rhea guest co-host; Emmy Rossum (“Shameless”); Malik Yoba (“Empire”).

FRIDAY, MARCH 20 – Raven Symone and Tony Award-winner James Monroe Iglehart (Disney’s “Aladdin”) guest co-host; Diane Lane and Tony Shaloub (play, “The Mystery of Love and Sex”).

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

The panel was interesting. They were so hilarious with each other, Taraji, Terrance. Some of the things they said, they just put it all out there. lol Like her saying she has been with him through all his women. He made a comment on her refusing to have sex with him.

They really are like a family, all of them. They told a story about them always going to the grocery store before they show started and Jussie and Yazz would going with Taraji  to pick up bananas/groceries, because they weren't known and she was so they'd flank her with her in the middle. She said "now, they can't do that, who is going to be in the middle now? " LOL Jussie said he could and Taraji told him no he couldn't. lol

She threw some shade at POI without naming the show, she mentioned not liking tv, about it put her literally in this box where she wasn't allowed to deviate from the lines, that if she wanted to try it a different way they told her no. She had to do it like it said. She told a story about how it's not like that on Empire, that if she does it they yell cut and tell her to keep going, keep doing what you're doing. LOL

Trai sang! He's a great singer too. 

• Love 6

Originally Macy Gray was listed in the cast on the show's Wikipedia page as Hakeem's older lover.

shame on me but Macy Gray playing Camilla would be akin to Monique playing Cookie. I think anybody else playing any of these characters would change the whole dynamic of this show. Perhaps if they were there and we never got to see who we are seeing now, it would be different. But only TPH could play the Cookie as we know her now.

Edited by coloradoqt
  • Love 2

Something completely outside of the Oprah we know

I'm one who believe the only role Oprah should have on Empire would be Oprah playing Oprah. The only time I've seen Oprah in a movie I could believe was the color purple.To me Oprah is gonna be Oprah. IMO she could never ACT like she was anyone else no matter what role she has

shame on me but Macy Gray playing Camilla would be akin to Monique playing Cookie. I think anybody else playing any of these characters would change the whole dynamic of this show. Perhaps if they were there and we never got to see who we are seeing now, it would be different. But only TPH could play the Cookie as we know her now.

Truth is that I COULD see Monique as Cookie, and I think she'd be really good, but she'd be a different type of Cookie.  IMO what makes this a runaway hit is the combination of factors that come with Taraji and only Taraji.  She is intelligent, funny, proud and humble, stunningly sexy and self effacing all wrapped up into one.  Add to that to her astounding chemistry with TH.  While I am not saying that Cookie IS Taraji - not at all - I do believe that the Cookie we see on screen could ONLY come from Taraji because of who Taraji is.  And in this case, on this show, with this cast and crew, at this time in history, it created lightning in a bottle.

I am very proud of this show for so many reasons and I hope it rides high long and strong enough to kick open doors and shatter glass ceilings in Hollywood.  For instance, there is no way these ratings could happen with only blacks watching.  It is showing the industry that EVERYBODY can enjoy and relate to shows featuring people of all walks of life.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 8

Photo: Rise of an Empire

Empire stars Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson, and Jussie Smollett shared a laugh at an ATAS Academy Event for the show at The Theatre at the Ace Hotel on March 12 in L.A.

Moreso that any of the other Lyon's son, Jussie straight up looks like he could've came form Taraji and Terrence. Great casting.

He made a comment on her refusing to have sex with him.

He has said that more than once in a couple interviews. Taraji never disputes it. I think he's dead serious. LOL

• Love 1

Moreso that any of the other Lyon's son, Jussie straight up looks like he could've came form Taraji and Terrence. Great casting.

He has said that more than once in a couple interviews. Taraji never disputes it. I think he's dead serious. LOL

Taraji only gives him the cookies onscreen. 

The male of the species always manages to amuse me.  TMI, I know, but I am experiencing a similar thing and I have now come to believe what my grandmother told me long ago - men beg you to say yes but they WANT you to say no.  A woman who has self respect is memorable.  Terrence, I'm sure, has no problem bedding a woman, but he will always love and respect that one woman who refused him.  Good for you Taraji.  Plus you can do WAY better than TH!

• Love 3

He  is serious, after he made the comment Taraji said "next question please." LOL 

• Love 1

Video of Jussie and Yaz from Idol is already online.

Did you notice J.Lo explaining EMPIRE to Harry Connick Jr.?  It looks like she is a fan of the show.  Could there be a Jennifer Lopez guest role next session?

I'm still not sold on having a  tour like they did for Glee like Fox is proposing but it was certainly nice to see the song done live with an audience.  They are the real deal.

I took my daughter to the GLEE concert (her first concert) and even though I wasn't a fan of the show -- it was still a lot of fun.  I'm sure Empire will have a similar set up.

Did you notice J.Lo explaining EMPIRE to Harry Connick Jr.?  It looks like she is a fan of the show.

I'm not sure if she was explaining it, but she was definitely pointing things out about them. 

She said something like "they're brothers" and he asked "in real life?" and she said "No! On the show!" and looked him like he was dumb, it was so cute.

It was the first time in my life that I ever liked J.Lo.

• Love 1

I wish I knew how to attach pics. It appears that Grace Gealy and Trai Byers (Anika and Andre) are dating IRL. Pretty cool.

Man, it must be awk-ward to return to work when/if your girlfriend is killed off.  

EM102_08_imacallyouback.gif

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 3