Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

(edited)

Once premieres on Sunday and I find that this year I can't dredge up any enthusiasm for it. I feel kind of bad about that.  I haven't even really thought about it much this season. Then I realized that my thoughts are busy wondering why people in Phoenix like to put bizarre colored lighting on the bathroom fixtures. Is this some sort of trend that I'm unaware of? Why is there a motion sensitive light on the toilet that changes colors? What is its purpose? The shower head in the last house we stayed in changed colors with the temperature of the water. I understand this idea, but it's a little disconcerting to have the shower head tell me it thinks the water is too hot and keep flashing warnings at me while I'm in the shower. If I actually knew any people in the area, I'd totally be investigating their bathrooms to see if I somehow stumbled onto the two places here that do this or if it's a regular thing.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 5

Once premieres on Sunday and I find that this year I can't dredge up any enthusiasm for it. I feel kind of bad about that.  I haven't even really thought about it much this season

I've had to make a lot of big life decisions in quick succession lately, so Once hasn't been a big priority for me either.

• Love 3

I wouldn't use the word enthusiasm or excitement, but I am looking forward to being back here more and having something new to talk about.  I guess we should all sharpen our knives in anticipation.  In regards to the plot, I really couldn't care less about any of the "cliffhangers".

• Love 2
9 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

Once premieres on Sunday and I find that this year I can't dredge up any enthusiasm for it. 

Ditto. I think if ABC announced Season 7 I would be more enthusiastic, but knowing that this terrible season could be the final season makes the past five years seem like a waste of time.

• Love 2

I'm just feeling upset wondering if Jen will leave, and we'll be left with this mess as Emma's final season. So, it's hard for me to feel enthusiastic of 6B setting up Emma's exit. If the Show is cancelled, it still seems a waste of my time. Besides, I too have been going through some major changes in my life (and will be for the next several months). But I'm still enjoying this board and fanfic. Just not the Show itself. The premier was also fully spoiled. That could also account for my lack of interest for the upcoming episode.

• Love 3

I'm halfway dreading the return. I've been enjoying the time that's been freed up by not devoting so much thought to this show. It's a non-fixable lost cause at this point. I'm a lot more focused on that story idea I have that's somewhat inspired by some elements in the show that will give me a way to fix some of the problems and play with the things I like that the show has neglected. I'm actually kind of hoping the show gets canceled so I can move on and so it can't get any worse.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm actually kind of hoping the show gets canceled so I can move on and so it can't get any worse.

One positive thing about OUAT is that it has been a jumping-off point for me to check out other shows. I probably wouldn't have watched Lost, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Galavant, Emerald City, and a host of others if it weren't for OUAT. I've never watched a lot of TV shows, but I've learned a lot about them from watching more and also reading these boards. So when OUAT gets cancelled, I have hope I'll find something else like I have several times already.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Apparently I'm some sort of curse. Every single show I've been heavily in the fandom of, my OTP couples ended up being separated because one actor left the show or was let go. Every. Single. One.

I apologize for bringing my anti-mojo to Once.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oops, posted something in the wrong thread.  I can't figure out how to delete this.

Can't believe it's snowing outside in March.  But it sure won't be "Snowing" tonight at 8pm!

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Well, plenty of "snowing" going on where I live, with the expectation of 18 inches or more.  I white knuckled the steering wheel driving home (at a very sedate 15-20 mph) and thankfully managed to get the car up the driveway.  I'm so glad I have snow tires.  Blizzards are no fun if you have to actually leave your home to go to work.  Now I am safe at home, I wonder if I will be able to get out of the house back to work tomorrow...

I hope everyone in the path of the Nor'easter stays safe and warm.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Worsel said:

Blizzards are no fun if you have to actually leave your home to go to work.  Now I am safe at home, I wonder if I will be able to get out of the house back to work tomorrow...

Yes, that's the most stressful part... just worrying about the next morning.

• Love 1

We've had more than 2 feet of snow so far, but it looks like it is winding down.  Got a lot of digging out to do, but the good news is no power outage.  Expecting 2-4 more inches but I think the worst is over.  I hope everyone else is ok.

• Love 3

Help! A&E have infected me with their style of writing. I'm working on a book that started as a concept and some characters I was playing around with. It's purely on spec, something that isn't contracted and that I wanted to see what I could do with it. I'd written about 100 pages, then plotted the rest of it and sent it my agent, who liked the concept but thought I needed to develop it more. Once I started doing that, I decided to just write the whole thing because that would make it stronger. I've been struggling with the plot because there was something that came up as a big revelation halfway through, but the more I thought about it, the less sense it made that this wouldn't be something the heroine already knew about. The obvious solution would be to go back to the beginning and write a scene in which she learns about this thing. It only came up in the middle of the book because that was where I was when I got that idea. And then I actually had a moment in which I caught myself thinking "that would ruin the surprise of the revelation." Never mind that it made no sense for her not to know or that it wasn't a particularly "aha!" kind of revelation that would be fun for readers to discover or that the story would be a lot stronger if it was her goal all along so that she had something specific to be aiming for. Then I said, "Get thee behind me, A&E," and decided to rewrite. I guess they don't have the luxury of being able to go back and rewrite the season premiere that's already been filmed when they get an idea midway through the arc, but I would think that if you knew you couldn't revise the beginning, you'd be a lot more careful about your plotting from the start.

• Love 5

Never mind that it made no sense for her not to know

Could you maybe include the character drinking a memory tea at some point, so that's how she forgot?  Or maybe a Dark Curse which gave her amnesia?  Or she was so ashamed she never mentioned or even though about it and buried it deep in her subconscious?

You know, we can now have a second flashback with Cleo when Emma learns to put milk duds on her popcorn!

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Could you maybe include the character drinking a memory tea at some point, so that's how she forgot?

That's it! That solves all the plotting problems.

And, you know, you've got some potentially icky issues if you combine this show's memory tea with the "moon tea" on Game of Thrones. But it would be right up their alley, given their attitude toward consent and agency.

Fingers crossed, it looks like our storms are done for the day, so I might be able to watch tonight's episode instead of getting radar images and tornado warnings.

In other news, if you'll permit me a tiny bit of self promotion, my publisher has put the e-book first book of one of my series on sale for 99 cents, and I think it's the kind of thing that people who watch this show might like -- contemporary fantasy with a mix of magic and the real world -- so while it's cheap, I thought I'd point it out. This is the Amazon listing, but the pricing is the same at other retailers. I will point out that I wrote it nearly 14 years ago, so I would hope I've learned a lot since then (with the help of a lot of TV analysis over the years).

• Love 2
On 3/23/2017 at 11:31 AM, KingOfHearts said:

I just wanted y'all to know - I've found a place to live and moving there very soon. Thanks for the support! :)

Excellent! I'm so glad for you!!

I'll be scarce or absent for the next little while -- I'm heading to Scotland for two weeks! My first big vacation in like 18 years!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Camera One said:

Have fun, Souris!  I've never been to Scotland but it sounds amazing.  I will refrain from making a Merida joke, LOL.

Oh God. Canceling my flight now....

Nah, I'll just push her in Loch Ness if I cross paths with her. LOL!

Thanks for the well wishes!

• Love 1
Just now, KingOfHearts said:

How very brave of you.

No cookies for you. Bad, bad, bad (but amusing).

I will say that I would hope you meet the real Merida, not the show version. Be kind to any bears you meet, who might be cursed queens or adorable triplet princes.

• Love 3

Also be kind to hags that show up at your door.  Though in this day and age of high security, we'd all get turned into Beasts.

It's not 8pm in my time zone yet, but Youtube is already recommending videos with scenes from the episode and promos for next Sunday's episode.  Arrgh.  

36 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Also be kind to hags that show up at your door.  Though in this day and age of high security, we'd all get turned into Beasts.

It's not 8pm in my time zone yet, but Youtube is already recommending videos with scenes from the episode and promos for next Sunday's episode.  Arrgh.  

I used to live on the West Coast, I feel your pain.  Don't worry, not too much longer.

I didn't run into Merida (thank heavens!), and I had an absolutely MARVELOUS time! Stunning scenery, I managed to drive on the left without incident, and the weather was mostly OK except for one day of prolonged hard rain where I ditched some plans and just sat in a cafe with tea and cake for awhile before heading to the next B&B early. I took a boat trip and saw seals on the Isle of Skye! Alas, no puffins. I was sad to leave, but I kind of hit a wall with two days left, so my body was ready to come home. I pretty much stayed in bed the day after I got back!

For awhile, it didn't look like I was going to get there as scheduled -- the first leg of my flight was canceled while I was at the airport, I was rebooked onto a second flight, then IT was canceled. There was talk of rerouting me to Detroit then to Amsterdam then to Edinburgh. Finally I was able to get on a third flight that had been delayed for four hours, so I was just able to make my connecting flight from JFK to Edinburgh. Whew!

• Love 6
Spoiler

I may be a bit thin on the boards (but nowhere else...ba-dumb-bum) for the next couple of weeks as I'm leaving Wednesday for Ecuador. Not counting an hour or so in Ensenada, this will be my first time outside the states. I really should be packing, but you know how it is. Will check in if I'm able.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Dianthus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I may be a bit thin on the boards (but nowhere else...ba-dumb-bum) for the next couple of weeks as I'm leaving Wednesday for Ecuador. Not counting an hour or so in Ensenada, this will be my first time outside the states. I really should be packing, but you know how it is. Will check in if I'm able.

Safe travels and have a great time!

I think it was mentioned a while back, but do we want to do a live chat thread for the musical episode on Sunday? We haven't done a live thread in a while.

• Love 1

Live chat would be fun. It beats playing drinking games, for health purposes.

20 hours ago, Dianthus said:

I may be a bit thin on the boards (but nowhere else...ba-dumb-bum) for the next couple of weeks as I'm leaving Wednesday for Ecuador.

How exciting! Have fun.

Checking in from Cuenca, Ecuador. We did a bus tour of the city earlier, now we're holed up in our room due to rain. Taking lots of pix. Getting here was a trial. It's like we left our brains at home. Flew out of San Jose, many hours late. They originally sent us to gate two, but our plane left from gate nine(?), without us. We should've checked the departures board when it became clear that we were in the wrong place. Have spent more time in an airport over the last two days than in the whole rest of my life. Here's a tip, if you're thinking of Cuenca. They don't want you to put your used toilet paper in the bowl. You just put it in the trash.

Not sure I'll be able to catch the show Sunday. We have a TV in our room, but neither of us could get it working. It'd probably be in Spanish anyway.

• Love 1

Hope your trip improves over the adventure of getting there!

21 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Not sure I'll be able to catch the show Sunday. We have a TV in our room, but neither of us could get it working. It'd probably be in Spanish anyway.

On any other given Sunday, watching it in Spanish (if not a speaker) would probably improve the show.  Heck, you could make up your own script and it would make more sense than what normally happens anyway.  But I guess for the musical, you might want to watch it in English.  :)

• Love 1

Today we went to the zoo. It's literally built into a mountainside, with mostly native birds and animals. The trail is steep in places, and not paved. It's been raining off and on here lately, so it was swampy in spots. Still, we survived it, and didn't wimp out on doing the whole thing (you can skip part of it if it gets to be too much). Pretty good, considering we live more or less at sea level. Tomorrow we're going to Cajas National Forest for the day. 

• Love 2