Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Souris said:

I think I may give Emerald City a try when it premieres.

That may be my hiatus-filler show. It looks like it runs clear through Once's return. They may pull in some other Oncers for the same reason. 

Even if it's crap, it's more I can complain about on PTV boards, LOL.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I'll join you guys in the Emerald City board. I was also thinking of re-watching OUAT in Wonderland over the hiatus, too. If there's enough interest here, starting this Sunday, we could watch one episode every Sunday during the usual OUAT time slot and do weekly episode discussions to get us through the hiatus. It's only 13 episodes long, so over 13 weeks, it'll perfectly take us to the first week of March, which is when 6B will probably start up again.

• Love 2

I will be watching the Once: Wonderland pilot tomorrow (Sunday) and posting my thoughts in its respective board. I don't think I'll go as far as to wait until Once's usual airing time, though!

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

The challenge is to find something to watch that is worth posting about more than once and has a critical mass of other people interested enough to post.

I'm going to give Emerald City a shot and hope it fits that bill.  I'll probably also give Taboo (miniseries) a try since its a period piece and seems well made. 

Also going to try out Riverdale because despite being too old to admit publically watching the CW, I still give everything on the CW a look before deciding whether to stick around.  

For comedies, I'm going to try Powerless because of the concept (insurance adjusters for the victims of superhero collateral damage) and the actor Tudyk (Firefly) and Pudi (Community).

And just to round out the comic books, Legion looks like it might be good.

Oh no, I don't.  I've probably seen everything on it at least once.  Watch Flash and Supernatural still.  Both are starting to lose their way from time to time but I'm still watching.

Frankly, OUAT reminds me of CW shows.  They tend to have potential and then frustrate the crap out of me at the failure to live up to it or the inevitable decline of a formerly great show. 

The OUAT effect happens way more frequently on the CW than any other network.

• Love 1

So, I'm going through Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a first-time watcher. I'm planning on posting my thoughts on different episodes in the BTVS board from a newbie perspective, sort of like what Zuleikha did with Once Upon a Time. (If anyone remembers that.) It almost feels like an AU where all the OUAT characters are in high school. I can't wait to rage with everyone else at all the plagiarism A&E did.

Edited by KingOfHearts
Fixed "BTSV". It's not Buffy the Slayer Vampire.
  • Love 3

The Buffy fandom is still somewhat active on the boards here. Make sure to let them know what you are doing before posting so they don't spoil the hell out of everything. 

Pretty mad. I was on Facebook just minding my own business, when an article popped up about traumatic character deaths. One of the top comments spoiled a certain Buffy death. :(

Spoiler

Buffy's mom

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I'm sorry you saw that.  That's the problem with the internet nowadays... you search something once, then "suggested" Youtube videos, tweets, Facebook posts, google news results, etc. pop up.  It makes it very difficult to avoid spoilers for shows.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

I guess if you don't know when/how it happens, it does raise the stakes whenever the character may be in danger. Still it sucks to have something spoiled by chance. I was spoiled on who killed Lilly Kane on Veronica Mars and was pretty annoyed by it. TWoP actually spoiled it because I was reading the episode reviews as I binge watched and one of the quick review descriptions stated whodunnit. At least with that one, I was able to watch the episodes and see the subtle clues laid down about the killer.

There are a few shows I caught onto later, and I too went on TWOP, though moreso to read the episode threads than the reviews.  I decided to watch "Fringe" the year before the final season aired, and I was able to avoid all spoilers.  I was not so lucky with "24"... in fact, I'm still not finished that series.  I gave up after Season 4 (I think it was Season 4) since it's so depressing and I'm usually not too fond of watching people I like getting killed (and I accidentally saw some spoilers for Season 5... or was it 6.  Don't remember). 

And then there are the weird situations where you start a show halfway through and go back to watch the first few seasons.  I started watching "Angel" at Season 2, so went back a few years ago to watch Season 1.  In that case, you already know a lot of the "spoilers", so it's a different style of watching... almost like watching flashbacks.  I started watching "Buffy" during Season 2 as well, so I don't remember if I've gone back to see Season 1.

Edited by Camera One

I went a little crazy baking Christmas cookies this weekend -- I made eight kinds! Chocolate crinkletops, fudge toffee bars, sugar, ginger-lemon, oatmeal peanut butter, cranberry orange pecan shortbread, coconut lime macaroons and chocolate almond coconut macaroons. I always bake a bunch to take into work.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 3

I haven't done that much baking this year. I did a batch of gingerbread bars for a party earlier in the month, then a couple of batches of my traditional Spritz cookies for a party, for the church cookie sale and for gifts. I did a batch of fudge as a hostess gift for a party, and I may do a batch of my grandmother's fruit cookies this week. My mom is having to really watch her sugar right now, so she gave me the ingredients she'd bought. I'll bring them to a friends-family (the friends who are like family) dinner next weekend and have some to bring to my parents' house so my dad can have some. I have so many recipes I want to try, so few people I can feed.

We had a 60-degree temperature drop yesterday, so it really feels wintery, and I was tempted to bake, but I decided to stay with a book under a blanket instead.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, daxx said:

I miss Christmas baking since I've been gluten free but I don't dare contaminate every flat surface of my kitchen with flour and gluten free flours suck for the most part.

The coconut macaroons I made were gluten-free so my GF co-workers could have something. The first batch I didn't like the consistency of because the only binder was egg-whites (I didn't have any GF flour), so I added some almond flour to the second batch & they turned out better.

• Love 1

Oh, I can bake cookies that I'll eat but the whole fun of baking up a bunch of stuff to give away is gone, and I don't really need cookies myself. :) I used to bake dozens of dozens and give away for Christmas. I haven't used my spritz press in years.

I should probably try to find a gf spritz recipe but it's such a basic cookie that the flour is really important. Chocolate chip or peanut butter is way easier. Gingerbread, yeah, I want to try that too.

Hi there.

I have lurked for a while, finally after 6 seasons have I decided to finally introduce myself. I love once, I have since the start. Of course I have to say I am not naive to the fact it has gone south, so much so that I have rediscovered in the "it's so bad it's good" kind of mindset. I truly enjoy reading Lily Sparks who I think embodies the horrible/wonderfulness of the show.

Like many of you watching form day one I was drawn in by Snowing and Emma and I am insanely disappointed that they have not fleshed out that storyline to what would have made far more sense. But I have begun to recognize how much the show doe try to accommodate the actors and Ginny and Josh are clearly given less screen time to accommodate parenting their little ones which I think is great. It does disjoint the core story as does the way he've handled Rumple. I still remember his sacrifice with Pan/Dad and see Robert Carlyle as such a consummate performer that I believe he could eventually be redeemed as was meant if the authors would only get out of their own way. The fairytale lexicon is so rich that I lament the possibilities often. On rare occasion, they do get it right I keep watching for that possibility. At the risk of sounding very Mary Margaret, hope.

I am a freak in the way that I am definitely CS shipper but acknowledge that some seasons of SQ have been great and there is great chemistry with both. I feel very disappointed in this season because all of the great dynamics to explore haven't and we are just getting a rehash/

I am nervous this season is the end because I need closure and the way things are headed nothing is going as desired.

I, too love gardening and baking ;) although life has been too busy for either lately.

• Love 5

Welcome to the board, @bent and broken! Hope you stick around for the episode discussions when the show comes back in March. It's always good to read different opinions around here.

1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

I don't like the new "like" counters. It kind of has the feel of a popularity contest. Maybe I'm thinking too superficially, but I don't understand their purpose.

I didn't know if it was just a glitch on mobile or a new PTV thing, but the counter doesn't show up on desktop. And agreed, it kind of comes off as a popularity contest. I wouldn't mind seeing the "like" counter hidden away in my personal profile page just out of sheer curiosity, but I would feel a lot more intimidated as a newer poster if there was a number count thing always showing in the main threads. Taking away the numbers makes all the posters a little more equal.

• Love 3

Welcome, @bent and broken!

So, there are total counters, now?  I didn't know that!  Awesome!  

Wait. . . What if people don't like me?  

But, dang it, I really want people to like me!  And the affirmation is a balm to my spirit!  I have to shore up my diminishing self esteem some how.

Hit the button!  Hit the button!  Hit the button!  Hit the . . 

Oh.  Wait.  That might be demanding and rude.  

Nevermind.  :)

Quickly changing the subject, hoping you don't notice my childish behavior . . .

We're due to get another serious snowstorm this weekend.  I'm really grateful for my snowblower, and that I have a holiday day on Monday.  I can just sleep in and not worry about work.

Edited by Mari
Forgot something. It happens.
  • Love 1

I never visit the site on my phone since I would be too tempted to respond and typing on a phone is horrible (especially the essays we tend to write on this board).  

Welcome, @BENT AND BROKEN.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I guess the counter is like the old "just tuned in" and "stalker" ratings on TWOP?

We're supposed to have a very warm Christmas. And then a cool day. And then a warmish day. And then a cooler one. I don't mind not having snow because I have to drive about 100 miles on Christmas morning to get to my parents' house after singing for all the church services the night before.

In other news, I'm thinking about buying a new house. I've actually been thinking about it for a couple of years, but then there were some problems with the current house that the HOA had to fix (it's a condo), and there was much upheaval with the HOA so nothing got done, and I just backburnered it (without realizing that if a sale had been pending, I could have forced them to fix it. Ah, well ...). Then housing prices shot up in this area, and I had a slow year, work-wise (the joys of self-employment). But now a house I really like in the neighborhood I want is up for sale at a reasonable price, and it's been on the market a surprisingly long time without selling (in this neighborhood, that means it didn't sell the day they put the sign in the yard). It's not really my "dream" house, but it's probably more practical and a better fit for me, and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I'm just not sure I'm up to the hassle of getting this house ready to go on the market, then packing and moving right now. But I've got a former co-worker who's a Realtor, and she said she can get me in to see it (it's unoccupied) without me having to do anything formal, so we're going to look at it next week and I can then either start taking action or get it out of my head because I've decided this one won't work. In the meantime, I find myself mentally decorating it, and I've been browsing online for some pieces of furniture I'd need to fill in the gaps, since it's a bigger house. I do need more space, and I want out of the condo situation, but I've lived here for more than 18 years, longer than I've lived in any house in my life, so moving would be a real upheaval.

8 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

No--it's the number of "likes". And this is why I never go on facebook! lol

lol. Likes don't really determine if you're active poster, just that you tend to write posts others in the community agree with. I don't mind gauging how long someone has been a poster or how often they post. (Can't let Camera One beat me in post count, after all. JK! :P)

Edited by KingOfHearts
Misused the word "seniority"
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

No--it's the number of "likes". And this is why I never go on facebook! lol

Oh, right, that was the number of posts you made. But I think toward the end they had some kind of metric for how many upvotes you got, once they introduced a "like"-like feature, though I think you had to look on the profile to find it.

I'm really bad about the "like" stuff on all social networks. If I have a response, I say it. I don't think to hit the "like" button. I've only just started to do that on Facebook when it's a situation where I need to acknowledge a post but I can't think of what to say. Here, I mostly ignore the feature, and being notified that my posts have been liked is a bit of an annoyance because it's a pop-up, and we hates pop-ups.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

Oh, right, that was the number of posts you made. But I think toward the end they had some kind of metric for how many upvotes you got, once they introduced a "like"-like feature, though I think you had to look on the profile to find it.

I'm really bad about the "like" stuff on all social networks. If I have a response, I say it. I don't think to hit the "like" button. I've only just started to do that on Facebook when it's a situation where I need to acknowledge a post but I can't think of what to say. Here, I mostly ignore the feature, and being notified that my posts have been liked is a bit of an annoyance because it's a pop-up, and we hates pop-ups.

Double pop ups for you because I feel contrary (one for like one for quote). :)

So . . .is it possible to use too much garlic on the potatoes?  Because if it is, my house smells like I managed it.  

Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it!

(Happy midwinter holiday of your choice to those that don't!)

• Love 2

Merry Christmas from Brisbane!

Thank you to all the gorgeous pixies..including those who aren't as enamoured with CS as me...you lot are ALL that keeps me sane in the face of the insanity of most of the writer choices. Without this forum in which to vent my head may have imploded by now!

I appreciate each and every one of you.

Hugs xxx

• Love 4

I know I never vent in this thread, but I thought my fellow posters here might understand. You know that feeling you get after watching a Henry centric or reading an interview with A&E? It's that point where you just can't take any more BS. There's people in real life that live in their own little world with their own wonky logic, and after a car ride with them, you just *can't* any more. It's not that I get into arguments with them, I just find the lack of logic insulting to my intelligence. It's especially sad when you know they have potential (*cough* A&E) but don't follow through with it.

I realize I sound arrogant... but people who spout BS usually do too. I'm glad to have posters on the PTV forum to help keep my sanity. (Not just with watching Once, either.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  I'm looking forward to another year of witty and snarky comments from everyone in this forum.  Thank you for sharing the good, bad and everything in between and most of all for making me laugh.

• Love 3

Yes!  Happy New Year and let's hope we will get to make jokes about the mid-season hiatus again next year at this time.  This place has been a constant diversion for me this year through various obstacles.  I thank Regina for bringing us together.

• Love 7