Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

I live in the southern part of the US now. They cancelled all classes tomorrow becasue there's a freezing rain prediction. After living in MI for 7+ years, this seems bizarre to me. I think we had one snow day in all the time I worked there. 

Freezing rain is very different from snow. You really can't drive on the kind of ice you get from freezing rain, and in the south we don't get that kind of weather often enough to make it worthwhile to have the equipment and infrastructure to deal with it. It's easier to just cancel things.

• Love 1

I do know what freezing rain is. :-p

This is the fifth or sixth snow/ice day we've had this winter. It seems that it would be more productive if the state invested in at least some minimal equipment and crew to deal with this kind of weather. But I have no idea how much it costs, so maybe the loss of several days worth of productivity doesn't cost as much. I have to rework all my teaching schedules now. Sigh...

• Love 1

I think weather ends up being very subjective regionally. The same ice/snow that can paralyze parts of the country would be largely shrugged off in others. I was watching the local news the other day and they ran the national news stories just before the weather. It was pretty clear that they were reading from nationally written scripts because they discussed the "bitter cold" and the story breathlessly covered the -12 record low temp in Indiana that had closed schools in the state. The segue from that was really awkward because the high temperatures here were lower than that with nary a school closing. It's January. It's cold. 

• Love 1

Weather is extremely subjective. My friend at work was telling us the other day, she was on the phone with her brother. She is here in CT he lives in SC. Anyway, he was bitching about the frigid temperatures and the cold front they were having. She was telling him he should come up north because we were having unseasonable warm temps and it was beautiful out. Turns out it was the exact same temperature in both places.

When I spent a year at school in Arkansas, they had a snow storm, it wasn't anything like we get here in CT but it was enough to need to plow. Only the town didn't have equipment to do such. They had to shut down the university for the day until they could get something to move the snow with. lol It was great fun for us northerners.

When you get winter weather just a few days out of every year except in exceptional years, it's generally not worth it to buy and maintain all the equipment for dealing with it. We didn't have a single snow/ice day last winter. A few years ago, we had the ice storm that paralyzed the region for days (but with that storm, there was no equipment that could have helped because you can't plow ice, and none of the de-icing stuff works when there are four inches of ice after you get freezing rain after sleet). With schools, it's likely a legal liability issue. If there's any chance of ice on the roads and school isn't canceled, imagine all the lawsuits if a school bus slides off an icy road. The drivers just don't have the experience driving in winter weather. When I was in high school, they closed the schools for the slightest bit of potential weather because so many of the bus routes were rural, and nothing was ever going to be done to clear those country roads. We lived on one of those remote roads, and if there was ice, you couldn't get in or out, but we had maybe one day of that a year.

In other news, I had a good giggle at Target this morning. They'd advertised bags of honeycrisp apples on sale this week. At the store, there was the sign for those apples, but the bags behind the sign were Red Delicious. I muttered to myself, "Those aren't honeycrisp apples," then cracked up because that was the title of the old nitpicks thread, and it was because of the exact same thing, Regina talking about her tree that produced honeycrisp apples while she held a Red Delicious.

• Love 4

Speaking of Target, I walked in there the other day and was confronted immediately with a massive section of swimsuits. In January. When it was about 7 degrees outside. A little premature there, Target! I know retail goes ahead of season, that was incredibly egregious.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Souris said:

Speaking of Target, I walked in there the other day and was confronted immediately with a massive section of swimsuits. In January.

I was in Macy's. Same thing. Only they have the swimsuits and the winter coats in the same section. I'm like...um, these things do NOT go together.

1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

I muttered to myself, "Those aren't honeycrisp apples," then cracked up because that was the title of the old nitpicks thread, and it was because of the exact same thing, Regina talking about her tree that produced honeycrisp apples while she held a Red Delicious.

Wow, now you mention it, that should have been our first clue this show had no interest in accuracy. It all stated with the non-Honeycrisps and it's been downhill from there.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Souris said:

Speaking of Target, I walked in there the other day and was confronted immediately with a massive section of swimsuits. In January. When it was about 7 degrees outside. A little premature there, Target! I know retail goes ahead of season, that was incredibly egregious.

Supposedly, the swimsuits in January thing is part of the traditional retail calendar, and it stems from the idea that "resort wear" comes out at this time for the people who winter in warmer climates or at least visit resorts in warmer climates during the winter. However, it seems kind of silly to stick to that kind of calendar at Target. If you're shopping at Target, you're probably not "wintering" anywhere other than home, and if you do the warm resort in January/February thing, you're probably not going to be caught dead there in a Target swimsuit. It just seems to me that they're devoting large amounts of store space to things people currently have zero interest in buying. I don't even want to think about my body in a swimsuit until at least a month after Christmas.

They were putting out the outdoors/garden stuff while I was in the store, but we're still at least six weeks away from being able to plant anything outside, even in Texas. I guess the outdoor furniture and fire pits could count as seasonal, as there will be days when it's pleasant outdoors, especially if you have a fire pit.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, Shanna Marie said:

With schools, it's likely a legal liability issue. If there's any chance of ice on the roads and school isn't canceled, imagine all the lawsuits if a school bus slides off an icy road.

The one time they didn't close school for light snow when I was a kid, my bus took out two mailboxes and then later slid to the side of the road where it proceeded to get hit by three cars while we waited on it for another bus to come get us an complete the trip.  My mother was waiting at school to get me when I got there hours later and took me home.  Bad things happen here when they ignore the threat of snow here because no one is used to it.

But then again, I was once travelling North and those wimpy Northerners cancelled school for a heat wave 5 degrees lower than a "cool" Summer day. Because no air conditioning in the schools.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

But then again, I was once travelling North and those wimpy Northerners cancelled school for a heat wave 5 degrees lower than a "cool" Summer day. Because no air conditioning in the schools.

And that's when I really get to play to "such wimps!" game. I went to elementary school in Oklahoma, and we didn't have air conditioning in the school. Temperatures were still in the 90s when we went back to school in August and were getting into the 90s in the afternoon before school let out in May. We just had the windows open and a big box fan in the classroom doorway that led outside. When we came in from recess, the teacher would turn the lights out and have us rest while she read a chapter from a book. My fourth-grade teacher introduced me to Tolkien (The Hobbit) and Roald Dahl. But I would get frustrated with that one chapter thing and get the book from the library and read the whole thing straight through.

• Love 1

We had a snow day.  I tried to go in but the sheet of ice on the main road in front of my neighborhood stopped me. And yet, I could navigate giant hills.

I think there were too many people on the main road melting and refreezing before I tried.

• Love 1

One more day to catch up on chores around the house, which I'd neglected over the long weekend becasue I was too busy trying to complete my story for the Captain Swan Little Bang. Priorities. ;-) 

• Love 2

The snow missed us entirely, though it was cold and we apparently had a few icy spots on streets. We got above freezing this afternoon after a really cold night last night (in the teens). And Saturday it will be 70. Yep, teens and 70s in the same week.

My parents just about a hundred miles east of me got snow and were texting me pictures. If I'm going to have bitter cold, I'd prefer to have some snow to make it interesting, as long as I don't have to go anywhere.

Fortunately, I only had four kids in my kindergarten choir tonight because they had indoor recess, and I have mostly boys, so you can imagine what they're like when they have a lot of pent-up energy. Tonight it was all boys and I didn't even try doing anything with structure. We worked on finding the beat in music. And then the adult choir was conducted by "Captain Hook," who's filling in for the usual choir director. At least he was wearing bright blue tonight instead of his usual black shirt and dark waistcoat that make it impossible for me to not see him as Hook directing a choir.

• Love 1

I was part of a group that moved from Lansing, Michigan to Atlanta, Georgia.  One day, they announced that they were closing the office as a Snow Day.  We looked out and saw barely an inch of snow on the ground and laughed.  Then we saw how the natives drove in an inch of snow and understood!

• Love 4
19 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I was part of a group that moved from Lansing, Michigan to Atlanta, Georgia.  One day, they announced that they were closing the office as a Snow Day.  We looked out and saw barely an inch of snow on the ground and laughed.  Then we saw how the natives drove in an inch of snow and understood!

Was that this day?

atlanta-in-the-walking-dead-versus-snow-

Snowpocalypse is why we have Snow Days for threat of snow when no snow falls.

Ugh, it's so annoying the like button is on the far right now. It's so irritating when social media buttons change locations. It happens on twitter and tumblr as well. Now, I have re-train my muscle memory. I really don't get what developers think they're accomplishing by making these pointless changes. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Ugh, it's so annoying the like button is on the far right now. It's so irritating when social media buttons change locations. It happens on twitter and tumblr as well. Now, I have re-train my muscle memory. 

Don't accidentally click Share Post instead.  Watching and commenting on this show is a closely guarded secret that must not get out, LOL.  It's a Closed Coven.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Watching and commenting on this show is a closely guarded secret that must not get out, LOL.  It's a Closed Coven.

Too right. Brb, I need to go look for my coat of doom. 

• Love 2

I'm losing my cable next week, and wouldn't you know, the ABC station is the one station that doesn't come in beautifully with an antenna. It would take a much higher-powered (and more expensive) antenna to get it in because it's a VHF station. I can get the newscast from that station streaming live via Roku, but I guess I'll have to get Hulu to watch Once. Three months of Hulu is a lot less expensive than something like DirecTV Now to watch live. I guess it shows up on Hulu the next morning? So I won't be chatting about the show when it returns until Saturday. I figure this show isn't long for this world, and it's the only thing other than the news that I watch on ABC.

Oh, that is too bad.  It is painful to wait to watch this show (despite its questionable quality).  The good thing is each episode of this show is so packed with problems that we will still have lots to make fun of on Saturday and Sunday and Monday and Tuesday and usually Wednesday.  :)

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I'm now thinking I may just do something like Sling TV for the rest of the season. That will allow me to finish out the seasons of The Magicians and Star Wars Rebels, as well as allowing me to watch Once in real time. It's still a lot less expensive than cable, and since The Magicians and Star Wars Rebels aren't on Hulu and the only way I can find of getting them short of some kind of "cable" subscription is Amazon instant video, it's cheaper to get the Sling TV package than to buy all the episodes individually. I can drop it in the summer and figure out what else to do on the off chance that Once gets renewed. It's possible that putting a more powerful antenna upstairs and getting an external tuner might bring in ABC. That's the one major local station in our area that's still on VHF instead of UHF. I would think that would adversely affect their ratings, if you can be in the middle of the metro area and still not get it without cable.

I can't believe that "Once" is actually a big reason I pay for cable as well.  There are a few other network shows I watch but I could probably do without them.  The other thing is my internet is bundled with cable.  Internet by itself here costs almost the same as internet plus basic cable.  I'm having to switch providers right now since my contract expired and they raised my monthly rate by $30 and it's hard to negotiate discounts unless you're a new customer.

I was talking about the various TV options I'm looking into with my mom, mentioned that this show was the main reason I wanted to get ABC, but said I didn't want to deal with getting a more powerful antenna or otherwise investing a lot just into getting the channel because odds were that the show would end up getting canceled. I went on to talk about how awful it's been this season, describing some of the weirdness. She said, "And you're still watching it?" I was able to spin some rationalizations, like how I'm always put on the "fairy tales" panels at conventions, so I need to be up to date to discuss it, and dissecting why it's not working is entertaining, and there's the social factor of the discussions. It's odd that my favorite thing to watch, that I get most excited about seeing and that I've been known to build my schedule around, is something I kind of hate right now.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

It's odd that my favorite thing to watch, that I get most excited about seeing and that I've been known to build my schedule around, is something I kind of hate right now.

I finally understood hate-watching in Season 6. Now I'm merely apathy-watching the show. 

• Love 3

Lucifer! Supergirl and Flash. X-Files.

And for comedies, Brooklyn Nine Nine and Good Place. I know the season is over but do yourself a favor and catch up on Good Place if you haven't yet.

• Love 3

I've requested season one of The Good Place from the library, which should get me started on catching up.

I'm a musical theater fan, so I love Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I watch Legends of Tomorrow. I'm pretty much a sucker for almost everything on Masterpiece on PBS, and Call the Midwife should be coming back soon.

I've been watching The Magicians on SyFy. I watched the first season and a half of The Expanse but had the grand epiphany that although it was quite good and very well done, it just wasn't for me. It was way too bleak, and I had come to hate most of the characters. I turned it off in mid-episode. I watched the first season of Westworld and would probably keep up with it if I still got cable, but I think I'll wait to watch it on demand when I pick up HBO Go next year to watch the end of Game of Thrones. I loved the first season of Killjoys, but I really didn't like where they were going with it in the latest season, so I don't think I'm going to worry about finding a way to watch it.

Late last year I binge-watched all of Star Wars Rebels that was out so far. I have very mixed feelings about it. The cast is amazing (and I'm surprised by how many of the actual movie cast members they got -- I'd been thinking that the guy playing Lando was doing a great imitation, and it was actually Billy Dee Williams. I was impressed with their Darth Vader, and I should have been because it was James Earl Jones) and the music is great about taking the John Williams motifs and creating a new score. I pretty much hate the character animation, though. There's something weird and unsettling about the way the characters move and their facial expressions. I mostly listened to it as though it was a radio drama because I couldn't enjoy it while looking at it. The first half season or so, the writing isn't great. It's like they're trying to write an episodic children's series in the Star Wars universe. Somewhere along the way, they seemed to throw out that idea and the writing got a lot better, with some big story arcs. I still actively dislike the main character, a bratty teen. If he's the center of the episode, the plot is going to be pretty much: "I think we should do this thing." "No, we shouldn't do that thing. It's a trap." He does the thing. "Uh oh, it turns out it was a trap." Everyone has to drop everything to rescue him, but something good ends up coming out of it, so they don't airlock him. They did a really great conversion arc for one of the villains (I wouldn't say "redemption" because I wouldn't have called him evil. He was just working for the other side, and he changes sides when he learns the truth about what's really going on and when he gets to know what the good guys are really doing and why.), and I like the adult characters. The last half season starts this month and is one of the reasons I'm going to get DirecTV Now.

I really loved Timeless on NBC last season. It's pure cheesy time travel fun. The costuming is amazing and the cast has a great vibe.

I guess I'm in a phase where I can't really deal with anything too intense or depressing. I have to really, really like something or be invested enough that I care what happens to be able to force myself to watch something too heavy. I want to watch fun things happening without really awful, bad stuff happening to characters I like. I'm the same way with books, and have even flipped ahead to make sure things are going to be okay before I delve into things being awful in the middle of a book. I suppose it's a reaction to the outside world. The world is stressful enough. I don't want my entertainment to make me unhappy.

• Love 3

Right now I'm watching This Is Us, whatever's on Masterpiece (Victoria currently), Fresh Off the Boat, The Alienist, Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Top Chef and The Amazing Race. When they're airing, I'm also watching Poldark, The Gifted, Survivor, Handmaid's Tale and Man in the High Castle.

I'm almost done with my binging of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. I have The Crown to finish the first season of, but to my surprise it just didn't grab me that much.

But for the rest of the month, I'll mostly just be watching the Olympics!

• Love 1

I watch all the Arrowverse stuff, and hang out on those boards quite a lot (after Once, the Arrow boards are the homiest for me), and while I watch quite a few shows (probably too many) I tend to reccomend a couple that are still airing, that I enjoy discussing. Some of them are This Is Us, The Americans, The Magicians, Killjoys, Dark Matter, Victoria, Black Mirror, The Crown, Empire, Fargo, Game of Thrones, The Good Place, Jane the Virgin, Star Trek, and Vikings, Sense8, among many others.  

Of course, when I talk about shows or reccomend them, I tend to qualify what your looking for. Like, if you want something fun, I would steer you towards Jane the Virgin, Brooklyn Nine Nine, or Legends of Tomorrow. If you like quirky, I would go with Crazy Ex Girlfriend, Sense 8, or BowJack Horseman or The Good Place if you like your quirk a bit darker. If you like big discussions, I throw out Black Mirror, The Americans, or Legion, for starters. 

But if anyone wanted to do a re-watch, I would be SO in.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

I'm behind on a lot of shows to the point where I will probably need to wait to get DVDs to ever catch up.  I wish networks kept episodes on their website for longer, but they usually only have the last 2-3.   I'm now two seasons behind on "The Big Bang Theory" and a season behind on "Gotham".  I watch "The Amazing Race" when I can remember to catch it when a season first begins (I forgot this latest season).

So actually, the only continuing shows I'm caught up on right now and can post on the forum are "Once Upon a Time", "Fresh Off The Boat" and "Timeless", though for the last one, its second season doesn't start until March.  Recently, I also watched some limited series like "Anne with an E".

I just switched television providers and instead of the channels I had which I never really watched (such as The History Channel, which I had chosen, and then realized it hardly had any history documentaries), I now have a streaming service with some older television series like "Frasier" and "The Sopranos" and a random mix of semi-new series.  I think I saw "Doctor Who" and "The Librarians" on there, so I think I will try those two out.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Watch and discuss are different for me.

I tend to go wide and deep on discussion

OUAT is the only show I go deep on because I need a special mix of things to get into talking about a show year round.  It needs to have something special about it.  Great potential or something that really hooks me initially.  Then something needs to go wrong.  I never get into really posting ad nauseam about a show until there are things to love and things to hate and things to dissect in too great detail.  I can't think of a show that I became utterly involved in where at some point I didn't speculate that they locked the good writer in a closet.  So naturally,  I didn't really get into posing about OUAT until S2.  And I'm pretty sure that my first post was something snarky about how next Regina would be skinning puppies to wear them as a coat and all of Storybrooke would through her a parade while weeping over how much they owed her for their new lives.  I also remember something about if they'd throw Henry into a well of forgetfulness that I would give them a hard time in the continuity thread over it.

Oh, it also needs all of you posting a lot about it too.

Then there are shows I post about during the season just because they have a fair bit of traffic in the forums.  GoT and Walking Dead are among those.  But I watch the show and don't keep up with the forums off season.  I'll watch a random reality show (usually a Housewives franchise) when there are no shows on with really active forums because sometimes I like the back and forth of discussion even if its over idiotic or boring stuff. 

Then there  are the other shows I watch.  They get a post or two an episode.  Usually because I'm not that invested.  Or there isn't much activity in the forums. Or they are just that good.

The best shows I'm watching right now are the Good Place and the Magicians.  The basically get a few post gushing about them.  But especially in the case of the Good Place, the show is so excellent that its not even something that you speculate about.  It really is the weirdest feeling to have complete faith that whatever the show does is going to surprise you and be better than anything you would come up with.  And its a fairly unanimous sentiment. Yonung Sheldon and Lucifer are also really good.

I think I watch almost everything else eventually.  TBBT, Arrow, Flash, Supernatural, Riverdale, Empire, Outlander, Blue Bloods, Life in Pieces, Drunk History, 9-11 (which I'm thinking about dropping), X Files (which I'll binge when its over),  Blackish, Lethal Weapon. 

• Love 4

Now that I'm working from an antenna rather than cable, I'm getting a lot of the digital secondary local channels that weren't on cable, and it looks like I'll have a chance to rewatch or catch up on a lot of older genre stuff. There's an entire science fiction channel, along with another one that isn't labeled as science fiction, but their evening lineup on weeknights is Xena, Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, and Deep Space Nine. One of those channels seems to occasionally show older Doctor Who. Then there's a channel that seems to be all Night Court, all the time. There are a few movie channels.

I think the main thing I'll feel like I'm missing is documentary content, but my library offers access to a few streaming services with a library log-in, and that has a ton of documentaries and independent and foreign films.

Of course, watching all this random content means that if I fall in love with something, there won't be anyone to discuss it with. Though there seems to have been a recent revival in interest in Deep Space Nine. I wonder if there's a forum going on that. I last discussed that one on Usenet.

• Love 1

The one thing I miss about TWOP is its forum structure.

It didn't have a forum for every single show.

There would be one giant forum for a genre with some shows getting their own forum because there were enough posters to support it and everything else was one thread per show in the forum.

It made it much easier to keep conversations going on older or less watched shows because you'd be in sitcoms and you'd see Night Court pop to the top.  Or Deep Space Nine in sci fi.  And at least a mini conversation would start instead of it feeling like you are commenting into a vacuum.

Its kind of why I hang around Everything Else and Everything Else TV quite a bit. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, sharky said:

I know the season is over but do yourself a favor and catch up on Good Place if you haven't yet.

For me, The Good Place is far more like Parks and Recreation (which I hated) than Brooklyn 99 (which I love).  I've seen enough to think the theology / morality/ whatever is gross and offensive.

3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Black Matter

If you mean Dark Matter, that's been cancelled.  Which is too bad, because I loved it.

2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Though there seems to have been a recent revival in interest in Deep Space Nine. I wonder if there's a forum going on that. I last discussed that one on Usenet.

There was a rewatch of Deep Space Nine --and here's info about a "rewatch podcast":

On 1/24/2018 at 9:04 PM, 2727 said:

There's a Max Fun comedy podcast called The Greatest Generation that's doing ep by ep recaps of DS9. The two hosts finished TNG and are on ep 15 of DS9. They poke a lot of fun, but it might be a little hard to jump into DS9 without knowing all the in jokes they developed over the months of TNG. There is a wikia for the show.

15 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Now that I'm working from an antenna rather than cable, I'm getting a lot of the digital secondary local channels that weren't on cable, and it looks like I'll have a chance to rewatch or catch up on a lot of older genre stuff. There's an entire science fiction channel, along with another one that isn't labeled as science fiction, but their evening lineup on weeknights is Xena, Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, and Deep Space Nine. One of those channels seems to occasionally show older Doctor Who. Then there's a channel that seems to be all Night Court, all the time. There are a few movie channels.

I think the main thing I'll feel like I'm missing is documentary content, but my library offers access to a few streaming services with a library log-in, and that has a ton of documentaries and independent and foreign films.

Of course, watching all this random content means that if I fall in love with something, there won't be anyone to discuss it with. Though there seems to have been a recent revival in interest in Deep Space Nine. I wonder if there's a forum going on that. I last discussed that one on Usenet.

My son and I have been watching all the Trek series. Completely out of order oddly enough, we started with Voyager since I’d never seen all those. We just finished TNG and we just started DS9. So I’d be up to discussing that one. We’ve just seen the pilot but he’s at his dad’s all weekend. So no more until Sunday night or Monday. We may never do the original since the boys can’t tolerate the bad special effects. ? I just can’t with Enterprise and Discovery. So DS9 may be the last series we watch. I really, really tried with Enterprise but I just didn’t enjoy it and life’s too short to watch a show I dislike.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

If I followed this philosophy I would have stopped watching OUAT a long time ago. LOL.

Well, I did love ouat at first, that kept me going since I still love the characters. With Enterprise and Discovery I didn’t like it from the beginning and never became attached to any of the characters. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:
2 hours ago, daxx said:

life’s too short to watch a show I dislike.

If I followed this philosophy I would have stopped watching OUAT a long time ago. LOL.

I wouldn't say I dislike OUAT. I'm just disappointed in it. But I enjoy spending time with some of the characters, and that covers for a lot. If I like spending time with those people, I can enjoy the show even when it's not very good. On the other hand, there are very good, high-quality shows that I don't enjoy watching because I don't actually like any of the characters. There's that Hollywood idea that nice, good people are boring, and only edgy people are interesting, but I get tired of all edgy and super-flawed, all the time. That was why I gave up on The Expanse. I didn't enjoy spending time with those people. They were all jerks, to some extent, and their universe struck me as very bleak. I felt worse after watching an episode. The writing of Once may be depressing, but there are still things about it that make me happy. The original cast was quite good, and they had a nice vibe, like they were having fun making the show and mostly seemed to like each other. There are still some people I like even in season 7, and there's still that vibe of people who like each other having fun working together.

Deep Space Nine was pretty much my last Trek series. I got about halfway through Voyager and then turned it off in mid-episode because I realized that I didn't like those people and they had way too may cases of "too stupid to live." I watched the first season of Enterprise, and I liked the dog, but the other characters were so generic. As I recall, it changed timeslots to either opposite something else I wanted to watch (or maybe something else I wanted to watch came on at that time) or to a time when I was always out, and I didn't care enough to record it. I haven't bothered with Discovery because I'm pretty much over Trek, and I don't care enough to subscribe to a streaming service when that's the only thing on the service that remotely interests me.

• Love 3

I was a HUGE fan of Next Generation (though I hated the final season), watched DS9 for awhile and didn't really care for it, watched Voyager for awhile and gave up on it, then only made it through a handful of episodes of Enterprise.

Edited by Souris

Deep Space Nine has a similar structure to OUAT, being a scifi/fantasy serialized drama with an ensemble cast. Of course, it was more episodic, but OUAT could have afforded to be the same. I'm really not surprised William Shatner is a oncer.

Edited by KingOfHearts
1 hour ago, Souris said:

I was a HUGE fan of Next Generation (though I hated the final season), watched DS9 for awhile and didn't really care for it, watched Voyager for awhile and gave up on it, then only made it through a handful of episodes of Enterprise.

I don't remember a bunch Voyager from the first time around.  I remember liking Tom Paris and B'Elanna and basically giving it up out of irritation with Seven of Nine.

But I was looking through lists of worse episodes of TV shows ever.  I came across one for Voyager.  I didn't remember it, so I watched it.

It was the salamander episode

Spoiler

where Paris and Janeway evolve into salamander and procreate

and it was fantastic.  I laughed...so hard.

I really liked TNG and Babylon 5.