Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

@ParadoxLost It should just automatically display the embedded video if you paste the URL in the text box. Don't use the link button, just put it in and it will display.

@KAOS Agent is correct. And FYI for all, there is a Test Zone in the Site Business forum along with topics for questions, bugs and suggestions.

Who else is excited that @ mentions are back!!

• Love 2

@KAOS Agent

Thanks

I'll just put this in here so I can stop obsessing over it (I'm sure there is a local TV thread but I can't find it for the life of me).

TV has been mocking me since the forums went down.  I had to tell someone and nothing I could do about it.  I almost signed up for twitter.

So what do you think the top story advertised for the local news to hook in viewers the first night the forum was down....

Roosters roving 'round residential neighborhood.  And yes the news commercial used alliteration.  And the news story had a reporter following a rooster around and explaining the cops couldn't answer every rooster call. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Curio said:

I'm okay with change, but it seems like some aesthetic and usability features have been changed arbitrarily. Why are the typefaces different from the main site and the leading and padding all awkward? But if yesterday is anything to go by, any forum is a million times better than no forum at all!

Am I going insane or did the show forums used to be listed up to down instead of left to right.  I thought for a while there it was some new feature where only forums you've never posted in listed in the main page.  They just weren't where they were supposed to be.

Its making me twitchy but I'll adjust.

Reputation is the default term on the forum software and you can only have a "good" reputation. There isn't a dislike post option. And total reputation points aren't stored anywhere. Dave is planning to change the term to like when things are settled down. 

In general, the changes to what we're used to seeing are due to changes in the forum software and removal of some of the plugins / customizations that were in the previous version. Thanks for everyone's patience with the downtime and issues being resolved. 

37 minutes ago, yeswedo said:

In general, the changes to what we're used to seeing are due to changes in the forum software and removal of some of the plugins / customizations that were in the previous version. Thanks for everyone's patience with the downtime and issues being resolved. 

Thanks for the update on the forum...update. Do you know if the aesthetic will revert back to what the previous forum looked like once the plugins are updated, or are we sticking with these new quote bubbles and typefaces for the long-term? (Or is my question better asked in the main Questions area?)

Edited by Curio

think the new format will stay, at least for a while. Dave has been making some tweaks to font sizes and post background colors. Definitely keep an eye on the Site Business forum for official news and if you don't see an existing question or suggestion that covers what you're interested in you can add one.

Okay, tonight's episode better be really good. I spent the morning trying to get 4 and 5-year-olds to sing as a choir and the afternoon helping clean the house of the friend who died last weekend. I thought we were just going to tidy the place up before his family comes to pack up his stuff, but it turns out that it was a situation like you might see on Hoarders, with everything coated in dust and grime. It was rather disturbing. And now I have an urge to clean my house. My house isn't exactly perfectly neat, but it was such a relief to come home to it. I sense a cleaning binge coming tomorrow, if I can still move after today.

Shanna Marie...I was sorry to read about the death of your friend. A few years ago, my friend's husband died, and it hit her pretty hard. I didn't know him terribly well, but he seemed like a really good guy. I'm glad you and your other friends are helping each other through it.

So, I was out and about the other day, and I came across this photo at the semi-annual antique fair I just had to get. It's of two tall ships in the harbor, with Morro Rock in the background. You can almost see one of the ships side-on. Unfortunately, I'm not technically adept enough to get it to the right size for attaching here.

My pick for the Derby is Creator. If there is a gray horse, I'm obligated to pick it because grays need more love. There's more than one gray this year (there's Mohaymen and Lani, I think), so I decided to choose Creator off an adorable pic I saw of him with his tongue hanging out.

the goal is the same as always: don't come in last (that goes for the actual race and not doing the worst in the family competition). 

My dad's pick is Nyquist, because that's the only name he could remember and he's been watching the Hockey playoffs. 

I'm curious to see what my Uncle's pick is. He had already chosen a horse way back in April and he was keeping it a secret. :P

i also made a pretzel/marshmallow/chocolate treat in the shape of a horseshoe this year for something different. 

We're still having our traditional mint shakes (because Mint Juleps are actually pretty nasty) and strawberry shortcake. 

• Love 3

WOO DERBY DAY!!!  *fist bumps Hoodlum*  I am also big on Creator, and if he stays at 10-1 or greater, I'm gonna sink a good chunk of cash on him.  I LOVE horses that come out of Oaklawn in good form.  My other hopeful is Gun Runner.  The odds seem really spread out this year, so there is some good $$ to be made, even if you spread it out over a few horses.  I AM SO EXCITED OK I CAN'T EVEN SIT STILL AND WE ARE 5 HOURS TILL POST TIME.  AAAAHHH!!!

• Love 1

I always pick a horse based on the name, but there weren't any names that really spoke to me this year. I think I will go with Oscar Nominated, solely because the sire is Kitten's Joy. Giant's Causeway is interestingly in the lineage of several horses.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Souris said:

I always pick a horse based on the name, but there weren't any names that really spoke to me this year. I think I will go with Oscar Nominated, solely because the sire is Kitten's Joy. Giant's Causeway is interestingly in the lineage of several horses.

Ohhh my, Giant's Causeway.  What a horse.  You need to look up the Breeder's Cup Classic from 2000.  Giant's Causeway was one of Ireland's big champions at the time, and they shipped him over for the Breeder's Cup (aka the world series/superbowl of horse racing).  He threw it down with Tiznow (one of our top 3yr olds at the time) in one of the best Classics I've ever seen.  It was only topped by Tiznow doing it again in 2001, solidifying him as the only two-time winner of the Classic in the history of the BC, and pretty much making him an American hero; the BC in '01 happened right after 9/11.  Tiznow will forever be the love of my life.  That horse is everything to me.

Here's the '00 Classic, and here's the '01 Classic.  "TIZNOW WINS IT FOR AMERICA!!" still brings me to tears. And here's a special about Tiznow.  Because I can't shut up about him and how amazing he is.

• Love 1

I usually pull for the prettiest horse when they're walking them up to the starting gate. I may sometimes be influenced by an interesting story behind the jockey, owner, or trainer. Mostly, I just think it's amazing watching horses run.

• Love 1
(edited)

I always choose grays if there is one.

**HOLY SMOKES DID YOU SEE THOSE HORSES GO DOWN!!!???  Oh my goodness IS ANYONE WATCHING CURRENTLY????? THOSE POOR HORSES!!!!!!!

okay, horses and jockeys are fine. That just gave me flashbacks of that one derby where my pick (Silver Bells? I think that was her name; a gray) had to be put down after she took second.

:(

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Hockeytown is gonna go crazy tonight! I wonder if Nyquist gets to drink out of the Stanley Cup? They actually brought the Stanley Cup to Churchhill Downs. I saw pics of Nyquist with it.

exaggerator made his move just a hair too late.

Well, my dad won his first Derby ever for our family competition. :P

mom came in second, my brother's gf came in 3rd, my sister-in-law came in 4th. My other brother's horse got 10th place.

Gosh dang it, I came in last. Creator got 13th. 

I hit the trifecta!!  That was one of the chalkier Derbies in recent memory...but a decent tri with the 10-1 Gun Runner just hanging on for the show.  YAS!!  Look out for Exaggerator and Suddenbreakingnews (I had a show on him.  Almost wish he could have got up for it.  Damn!) in the Belmont.  They are gonna love that extra quarter mile.  

Hoodlum - that filly was Eight Belles.  That was such a shame because she actually broke down in the gallop out of the Derby, after the race.  She was a hell of a filly.  Any other year, and she would have won it.  Rick Porter (her owner) is a fantastic individual. 

• Love 1

^ ah, thanks @Lieutenant! I knew her name had a 'Belles' in it--I just couldn't remember the first part. That was awful. I still can't believe that the gray horse from today got up just fine and dandy after crashing and getting run over by that other horse. I thought for sure it was going to have a broken leg or something and then have to be put down.  

And congrats on the trifecta!

No, I'm just going to tune into the TV show where the mom and daughter were separated from each other for 28 years, but then decided to say screw it and become BFFs with the person responsible for the separation.

• Love 6

This show is so inspirational, since it reminds us that Moms should also give back!  Find your daughter or son someone who can pretend to be their "soul mate".  Or maybe help your daughter or son to get the heart of someone they hate.  Or give them back memories you stole from them as children.  All of these will be gratefully accepted in exchange for those flowers and chocolates!

• Love 1

A live thread would be fun for the finale, but I hope I have wi-fi at the hotel where I'll be. The hotel's web site says they charge (a fortune) for the wi-fi, but supposedly as a member of their frequent guest program I get free wi-fi, and usually my AT&T login also works on Hilton wi-fi. Is it sad that I've already researched a nearby restaurant for getting a takeout dinner so I can get back to my room to watch the finale? I'll have been at a conference, and it will end early that afternoon, so I'll be able to kick back and relax, and it's pretty much guaranteed that the hotel will have ABC (HBO for Game of Thrones is a little less certain).

Speaking of which, is there anyone in the Chicago area? The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America are doing their conference there, and there's a booksigning open to the public on Friday evening at 8 at the Palmer House Hilton. Here's the info: http://www.sfwa.org/nebula-awards/2016-nebula-conference/list-mass-autographing-participants/

(edited)
16 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Is it sad that I've already researched a nearby restaurant for getting a takeout dinner so I can get back to my room to watch the finale?

I'm pretty sure I've done that a few times...

We'll see what @aquarian1, @MostlyC, @saoirse, and @yeswedo think of a live thread for the finale. Is it doable with the new forum updates?

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Curio said:

We'll see what @aquarian1, @MostlyC, @saoirse, and @yeswedo think of a live thread for the finale. Is it doable with the new forum updates?

Live chat thread for the finale is a go! It will open at 7pm Eastern / 6pm Central time. Closing time is TBD, we'll see how much participation there is from other time zones.

• Love 7
(edited)

*continuing the discussion from the Ratings thread, because show cancellations that are not Ouat probably shouldn't be discussed there...

Agent Carter, Galavant AND TheMuppets are cancelled??? 

*insert gif of a table being flipped here*

this just ruined my day. They could have spared at least one of those shows. 

Not cool Abc, not cool.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, OnceUponAJen said:

The Muppets cancellation makes me sad. I thought they deserved another season.

Yeah, they really improved after a shake-y start. I was really hoping that at least one of the shows would survive. I wish Netflix would pick up Agent Carter, heck, it'd be cool if they picked it up in a comics series like Buffy did. It wouldn't have to be a long-running series--just long enough to tie up those loose ends.

48 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Yeah, they really improved after a shake-y start. I was really hoping that at least one of the shows would survive. I wish Netflix would pick up Agent Carter, heck, it'd be cool if they picked it up in a comics series like Buffy did. It wouldn't have to be a long-running series--just long enough to tie up those loose ends.

I think with Agent Carter that there is at least a chance that they'll decide to do a period super hero movie someday around the time SHEILD is formed.

I didn't think there was much chance, but I'm still sad about Galavant.

I liked the first season of Galavant but wasn't fond of Season 2, so I don't feel that bad about its cancellation.  A third season would have been nice, though.

I've been pretty lucky since most of the shows I've watched which have been cancelled lately have been shows that I actually hated watching but I kept on watching just because I started from the beginning and wanted to complete it... "Under the Dome", "Revolution", "Heroes Reborn".  I was kinda relieved when these got cancelled.