Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

I'll give Emerald City a shot, since I seldom agree with reviews. But I'm giving myself permission to turn it off if it doesn't do it for me. The reviewer on this site said you need to get past the pilot.

And it's a snowy, cold night, so it'll be a good night for curling up under a blanket and watching TV. Okay, most places up north would laugh at our "snow," but it did snow all afternoon, and the ground is lightly covered.

I'm going to watch it despite the only review I saw included the phrase "mostly lots of sheer awfulness."

Really there is nothing else on and maybe it will be good and if its not then maybe it will be so bad that it will fun to discuss and snark on.

• Love 1

So I didn't really expect Emerald City to be an actual object lesson for OUAT, but A&E take heed.

No actual spoilers but just in case

Spoiler

I kind of love the dynamic between Dorothy and Lucas (Scarecrow) and I am willing to forgive the witches and wizard for boring me just to watch more Dorothy and Scarecrow and latent overt sexual tension.

I suspect there is a comparative fairy tale post in my future.

Looking forward to discussing comparisons with "Once" with y'all in the "Other Fairy Tales" thread.  I can't watch it tonight, but I'm PVR-ing it so will hopefully get to see it tomorrow night.

Edited by Camera One

I wrote my thoughts in the Other Fairy Tales thread. 

Spoiler alert: It was bad.

So I didn't really expect Emerald City to be an actual object lesson for OUAT, but A&E take heed.

I actually thought it was the opposite. Emerald City could have learned a thing or two from OUAT.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Went to my local Women's March earlier today. Over 7k for turn out in a smallish (albeit college) town. Some great signs, including a few with Princess Leia on them (a woman's place is in the resistance). Cold and rainy, but totally worth it.

• Love 4

There isn't still pretty much nothing, Camera One. You would be safe, still.

i was in NYC, Dianthus. Humbled, awed, and inspired. It was a necessary day.  

People are a lot more creative than I am; there were some truly epic signs.

Well, I'm being forced to move out of my current home. I was only given a month to figure out where to live. I've been scouring through all my friends to find a roommate, but haven't found much success yet. Can't afford to live by myself. Nothing brings anxiety quite like uncertainty.

Edited by KingOfHearts

That's rough, @KingOfHearts. I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago, but I stumbled upon a fairly cheap apartment on Craigslist. I know people like to make fun of how sketch Craigslist can be, but I've managed to snag both of my past two apartments on there. 

30 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Well, I'm being forced to move out of my current home. I was only given a month to figure out where to live. I've been scouring through all my friends to find a roommate, but haven't found much success yet. Can't afford to live by myself. Nothing brings anxiety quite like uncertainty.

Ugh, that sucks! I'm so sorry! Definitely not much time to get one's living arrangements figured out!

• Love 1
On 2/4/2017 at 9:10 PM, Mari said:

@KingOfHearts, how are you doing?  Is your housing situation getting sorted out?  (Sorry.  Probably nosy, but just read this thread and was hoping for the best.)

I haven't figured out anything yet. I've pulled a lot of strings, but nothing has come about from it yet. I won't be homeless, but I've been desperately seeking an alternative to what would be the last resort.

I apologize ahead of time if I turn into a Debbie Downer around here when the season starts back up. Let's just say it feels like A&E are writing the screenplay of my life at the moment, and now... 

Spoiler

I can't even live vicariously through Emma and Hook to cheer me up in 6B because they'll barely interact with each other.

The next couple of months is going to be rough.

• Love 2

Thanks, @Souris. It's pretty ironic that this show about fairy tales and "hope" is actually the bleakest and most depressing show I'm watching in my TV lineup. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is now my feel-good show, and they featured a tapeworm as a main plot point in the last episode. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Curio said:

It's pretty ironic that this show about fairy tales and "hope" is actually the bleakest and most depressing show I'm watching in my TV lineup. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is now my feel-good show, and they featured a tapeworm as a main plot point in the last episode. 

Seriously.  I watched a few episodes of a true-crime show (can't remember the name - they're all about the same anyway) and even a show about homicides was not as depressing as OUAT, because they actually caught and punished the bad guys.  

• Love 2

The Magicians is gory and graphic and has horrible things happen, but it also has more heart and humor than OUAT, and the horrible things that happen are actually treated as horrible, with the characters having to work through them, so it feels more fun and hopeful than OUAT does right now.

On the bright side, I've complained that the premise of the show is so unique that I can't find a way to file off the serial numbers and "fix" it in original fiction, but now that the show has more or less given up on actually using its premise and the things I like about it, I've figured out a premise for a story that uses the things I like in such a way that I doubt anyone could figure out my original inspiration. There's no "Storybrooke" or curse, just individual characters in our world and a lot of traveling back and forth, and the fairy tales used as the basis are going to be very different (The Goose Girl rather than Snow White), but people who know me and people on this board might be able to recognize some elements, depending on how I execute it. We're talking epic Not!CaptainSwan adventures.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Assuming the board is still around and we haven't all gone off to separate corners after the show is canceled.

This is the main reason I want OUAT to get renewed. As terrible as the show has gotten, I'm not ready to say goodbye to the discussions on this board. Usually, if I watch a television show that's widely-discussed online, I'm a couple episodes or seasons behind and can only lurk in the comments section (Game of Thrones, Westworld, Better Call Saul). Or if I'm actually caught up on a show and want to discuss it with other people online, there's very little discussion. OUAT is that rare combo where I'm caught up on every episode, want to analyze it, and there are many others who want to geek out and analyze it to death too.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Curio said:

This is the main reason I want OUAT to get renewed. As terrible as the show has gotten, I'm not ready to say goodbye to the discussions on this board.

I guess we could always stick around and do a post-mortem rewatch, looking at patterns and trends in light of knowing what happened.

I'm trying to wean myself from obsessive Internet discussion of TV because it really eats up a lot of time, but this show is my last holdout. I just find that I don't have a lot to say about anything else, even when I like it.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I guess we could always stick around and do a post-mortem rewatch, looking at patterns and trends in light of knowing what happened.

I'd like that. I could see it working if the series finale doesn't suck. If they give us a HIMYM kind of ending, I won't ever want to discuss the show again and will jump ship to whatever television show Colin lands after this is all over with.

• Love 2

Wow, that Best Picture mixup was terrible for all concerned! I hate it for everybody. The La La Land people were so excited and had it taken away, then the Moonlight people couldn't really fully celebrate because it was so awkward. I have to give the La La Land producer tons of credit for being so classy about it.

• Love 3