Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

I won't be around these boards (the Once forums) as much either. I'm a couple episodes behind on Once and I don't really feel like catching up at this point. The news and spoilers for the finale basically put the final nail in the coffin for me. I'll still be posting in some of the threads (like this  one, for example), though. 

On a completely separate note, I think I'm either allergic to Strawberries now, or allergic to one of the zillion plants I work with at the Greenhouse, or I'm getting pneumonia again.

I think it's the former (the strawberries or the flowers or both??), which makes me sad, because I love strawberries.  

And I've been in the mood to watch some Marvel movies (particularly the ones I haven't seen yet) as of late b/c of Civil War but I can't bring myself to take a trip to the movie rental store. 

I won't be around these boards (the Once forums) as much either. I'm a couple episodes behind on Once and I don't really feel like catching up at this point. The news and spoilers for the finale basically put the final nail in the coffin for me. I'll still be posting in some of the threads (like this  one, for example), though. 

Replying in All Seasons.

Okay, I'm comfortably ensconced in my hotel room, ready for the finale. One benefit of being out of town is that it's nice and cold here. I can have hot cocoa while watching. I'm still getting used to the keyboard for my tablet, so my typing is a bit iffy.

The other night I was at a party and was talking to a woman who's a TV critic who covers this show. She said A&E are really touchy about criticism, and they won't do interviews with her anymore because they say she "trashed" the show. Apparently, they didn't like that she's complained that the characterization seems to be flattening out, with Rumple going from being pretty complex to just being a jerk. (I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figure since it's one-on-one gossip rather than anything that can be linked, I'd put it here.)

• Love 3

Welp, it's 4pm in Arizona so time to avoid tumblr and this forum for the next 2 hours. I love speculation and filming spoilers but not actual "I just saw the episode " spoilers...

(edited)

Yeah, I always forget to avoid Twitter as well.  

Time to put on that Yazoo single everyone for the next few hours until it airs in your time zone.

Edited by Camera One

Anyone else started their gardens, yet?  We're trying a couple of new-to-us things this year, and gave up on the rutabagas. 

How about rhubarb?  Is the color a strictly type thing, or is it the soil?  Because mine is supposed to be red, but would pass for celery.

I've planted a few tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant & herbs. Just a few of the veggies, since I have a very small garden. I hope the tomatoes do better than last year, which was a really sparse crop. My blueberry bushes are festooned with green berries, though. I can't wait!

• Love 1

I haven't planted anything this year because I just have a patio and have to do container gardening, which requires daily watering, and I'm traveling a lot this summer. I usually like to have some herbs and flowers, but making arrangements for them to be watered is a pain. I may throw some seeds into the small patch of dirt I have that usually gets some water from the other side of the fence from the HOA.

I live in an apartment. So I only have indoor plants (half of them are succulents). I tried having herbs indoors, but they attracted too many flies. However, I bought an orange thyme last week becasue it smells good. I'm keeping a sharp lookout for any pesky flies.

I am thinking of starting an aquarium. My boss has an aquarium in his office, and one of the dalmatian mollies had 16 babies. They look so cute!! I might start with a 5 gal tank with 4 or 5 of the fry, and once they are grown, I'll transfer them to a 20 gal and maybe get a betta fish for the 5 gal tank. I used to have a betta fish. He was the cutest little thing! 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I haven't planted anything this year because I just have a patio and have to do container gardening, which requires daily watering, and I'm traveling a lot this summer. I usually like to have some herbs and flowers, but making arrangements for them to be watered is a pain. I may throw some seeds into the small patch of dirt I have that usually gets some water from the other side of the fence from the HOA.

I knew a couple who had set up their potted plants to be watered on their covered porch by hanging a soaker hose along the ceiling and letting the water drip down on the plants. The water can be put on a timer.

• Love 1

Windows caught me off guard and updated itself.  I'm pretty sure that its like New Coke.  They decided (decided is apparently spelled wrong or grammatically incorrect but freaking windows will no longer tell me why its underling stuff)... Anyways they decided to be intuitive like Apple or something.  I don't find Apple intuitive.  I'm not particularly thrilled that right click no longer brings up a window with convenient stuff like copy, refresh, and rename.  And drag and drop no longer works.  Now I have to go find three squiggly lines or other icons to do basic stuff after googling it.

And Microsoft Edge is of the Devil.  I think this is worse than Windows Vista.

I'm going to have to figure out how to uninstall it and downgrade myself over the weekend.

(edited)

Bit late about the garden stuff:

we haven't planted flowers yet, but my dad has planted tomatoes and peppers and such. We have a small strawberry patch going and the rhubarb is ginormous as usual. My dad's already given a bunch of it away. Also, he's already picked his first wave of spinach.

is anyone watching the Preakness? I hope the horses stay safe on that awful track. I haven't been watching the other races today, but according to my brother they had to put down two horses, which makes me extremely sad and nervous about the upcoming race.

**And Exaggerator won, which was obvious. You could tell from the Derby that Nyquist wasn't going to be a triple crown winner. 

Hockeytown's probably crushed now.  

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Going to Phx comicon today. There's rarely anything ouat related but I'll pick up or take pictures of any I see. I do need to curb my spending cause,broke...

• Love 1

I did find a couple ouat things. I picked up Hook earrings, they are the skull part of his necklace, a Hook t-shirt, an actual steel hook made by a blacksmith for capt Hook cosplay and a Hook drawing. There was an OUAT charm bracelet but I don't like dangly things on my wrist.

• Love 3

I'm going to Comicpalooza in Houston in a couple of weeks, but there's no one from OUAT listed as a guest. They are doing the cast reunion of Aliens at the con. I can't believe it's been 30 years.

Meanwhile, I feel like I've regressed to my childhood days. I'm at a family reunion with my parents, and I drove to my parents' house, then we drove together over to the town where my dad grew up, so there I was riding in the backseat on a road trip like we were going to visit my grandparents back when I was a kid. Except this time we're staying in a hotel nearby (since it's a lot of relatives coming in and converging on my cousin's place), and I have my own room. And since we were getting music for the drive from my phone running through the car stereo, I got to control the "radio," which didn't happen when I was a kid. I'm going to have to work hard not to turn back into a teenager this weekend, though it did help that when we went out to dinner tonight with my aunt and uncle, I was with old enough people that I was in the position of being the "adult" in the group and helping them read and decipher the menu, figure out how to use the pepper mill that was on the table, and explain to them what the waiter just asked them.

• Love 1

Oh, I think I'm going to do it.  I booked a room for the Creation con in Vancouver next year. Priced airline tickets. Now I need to get a certified birth certificate then passport. 

Now to afford this, start selling my prized collection of Star Wars movie posters, 1977 trading cards, Star Trek lithographs and Hamilton plates, Indiana Jones posters, etc. some of them are worth a fair bit...

The con prices from this year are a lot less than the SPN cons. Hopefully next year will be comparable. I'll get the gold weekend, studio tour and Colin photo op if he graces us with his presence.

am I really going to do this???

• Love 2

Do it, @daxx! I just got back from the ATX Television Festival, and while there weren't any OUAT-related things going on, it was still an amazing time. I'd love to go to a OUAT con eventually before the show ends. Maybe I'll eventually get to go if the show reaches a 7th or 8th season...

• Love 1

I'm receiving a bad pop-up that takes up my whole screen whenever I attempt to visit the Continuity thread on my phone. I know several months ago one of the Previously TV admins asked for pop-ups like that to be reported. Where should I do that? I can't access the thread at all. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I'm receiving a bad pop-up that takes up my whole screen whenever I attempt to visit the Continuity thread on my phone. I know several months ago one of the Previously TV admins asked for pop-ups like that to be reported. Where should I do that? I can't access the thread at all. 

That ad is kindly supplied by A&E since none of us should be visiting the Continuity thread at all.  

According to the ad Report Center thread, a flag should pop up beside the ad?

I occasionally get told that I'm "not allowed to like content by this poster."  At first I was trying to figure out how, exactly I'd offended @Rumsy4 and @Souris enough to be blocked, but it kept happening and I was allowed to like comments after closing the little screen.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Mari said:

I occasionally get told that I'm "not allowed to like content by this poster."  

I get that every time I try to like someone on this forum.  The like still goes through though.  Unfortunately, some darkness leaked into the servers and A&E has been sending Nimue into the etherspace lately.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

I don't have any pop-up issues on computer, just on my phone. I didn't see anything on the ad that would let me report it.

Same here. Definitely some kind of malware.

20 hours ago, Mari said:

I occasionally get told that I'm "not allowed to like content by this poster."  At first I was trying to figure out how, exactly I'd offended @Rumsy4 and @Souris enough to be blocked, but it kept happening and I was allowed to like comments after closing the little screen.

I get this every now and then when I've hit Like more than once, but I didn't realize it had already gone through.

On 9/2/2016 at 3:34 PM, Mari said:

Belated, since it seems it's a bug, but know I haven't blocked you!

• Love 1

How did everyone's garden do?  Ours ended up mostly a really, really big weed patch, but we did get 9 large winter squashes from one plant.  I'm not sure what we're going to do with them, and lobbied for giving a few away (since 1 mediumish one is usually 4 meals for us), but he seems to view eating them as a challenge.

I'm currently looking up recipes to spring.  Tomorrow's has blue cheese and walnuts.  

Edited by Mari
Verbs have tenses. We're supposed to use them.

Squash bread?  Is it sweet or savory?  (I love breads, although we don't eat them with most meals.)

We planted two types of winter squash.  Luckily, the one that seemed to be on steroids is the more versatile;  you can go sweet or savory, and I'm planning to use it in place of pasta most of the time.

But, well, it's a lot of squash.  It's a good thing I usually don't mind it.

I didn't do any kind of garden this year. I just planted a few moonflower seeds, but those don't seem to have done well. I planted at the same time I have in the past, and by now the vines have usually covered my trellis. This year, they've barely reached the trellis. But as I recall, they didn't start blooming until November, so maybe they'll still make it. I may plant some fall flowers now that my travel for the year is pretty much over and we're getting to the time of year when I can spend time outdoors. I use my patio as an outdoor living room and office, so I want to make it look nice.

On a totally different topic, one of the grad students in my choir this year reminds me so much of Colin that it's a little unsettling. He's not an exact clone, but probably looks more like his brother than the actor playing Hook's brother did. He's about the same type: tall, lanky build, has about the same hair color and style and a similar beard (though it's dark brown instead of reddish). He may be a bit younger (he's coming back to grad school instead of having just finished his undergraduate degree, but I'd still guess that he's maybe 30), and he's probably a bit taller. And he's a bass, not a tenor (though he can sing tenor, since he had to switch when we were short of tenors in the chamber chorale yesterday). He also seems to have the same slightly geeky, goofy personality that comes through after he gets over some initial shyness. Married, and enough younger than me for it to feel a bit creepy being at all attracted to him. He was standing next to me when the chamber chorale was singing, and I kept doing double takes when I saw him out of the corner of my eye because a part of my brain kept saying that it was Hook. My church offers scholarships to music grad students to sing with our choir. We get some expert assistance and some younger blood, they get performance experience and money, as well as a surrogate family while they're in school. I get some inappropriate crushes because I find a good singing voice to be something of a turn-on.

My garden was pretty Meh this year. I got a brief flurry of tomatoes, but then it pretty much stopped. A few cucumbers & Japanese eggplants, but only three zucchini despite massive plants with tons of flowers; that always happens to me with zucchini, despite it seeming that everybody else in the South always gets a multitude.

At least my blueberry bushes did well.

Edited by Souris

I will be taking a driver's test soon. I'm only worried about the parallel parking  portion. Where I live, if you fail that you fail the entire test. Fortunately, I've been able to back into the space without hitting anything. However, many times I'm about 20 inches from the curb. Really hoping I don't end up being so far from it that I fail.

• Love 2

I'm glad parallel parking wasn't required to pass the test when I took it. I took my driver's test in a 1981 Impala. It was about a block long. The parallel parking slot on the test course was a curb indentation, so they couldn't adjust it for size. If I had just shoved my car in sideways, it wouldn't have fit. There was no way I could have parallel parked in it. I generally avoid parallel parking if at all possible, and then never where there's actually anything on either end of the space, though it's a lot easier in a Focus than it was in that Impala. Good luck! I'm glad we don't have to get re-tested.

32 minutes ago, Mari said:

It's weird that parallel parking is a mandatory skill, but it's usually so easy to avoid most of the time.

Depends on where you live. I had to parallel park everyday for 7 years since many apartments in Chicago don't have off-street parking. I was pretty good at it, but others weren't, so my bumpers got really beat up. I even had one guy in a van I think, back right up onto the hood of my car, scraping the hood ornament off and leaving a big dent with their trailer hitch. Ugh!

Good luck @KingOfHearts! 

Edited by pezgirl7