Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E25: Finale Wildcard

• Start Topic

Some speculation on the wildcard results.  I think it's a foregone conclusion that T3N and Damien will be "eliminated" and, essentially, get to do a Twitter save against nine contestants instead of just each other.

I don't understand how the wildcard voting works.  Is it a Twitter save, or is it a regular vote, where the results aren't known for a whole week?  Both are pretty awful (the whole wildcard thing is a trainwreck, honestly).  If it's a Twitter save, then it's just as bad as the regular Twitter save, except worse because most of the voters won't have heard most of the singers in weeks.  If it's a regular vote, then it's kind of goofy to not know who's going to be performing the following week.  So, so dumb.

One interesting quirk is that this vote, with so many contestants, will work more like an early-season vote.  Having a small but devoted fanbase could be enough as the vote will be split so many ways.  If there was a polarizing contestant like, say, S5 Kat or S6 Cole, that contestant would probably have a huge edge in this type of vote.  But this season has been pretty bland overall.  Reagan is the only contestant who seems like she might have that sort of following.

Anyway, handicapping the contestants.

No Chance:  Ryan, Sugar, Jessie, Damien.  Ryan is just not that good, and Sugar and Jessie are OK, but not really good enough compared to who else is available.  I'm looking forward to seeing Jessie perform again, but realistically, is she going to beat Matt or Craig in the finale?  No.  Damien is a good technical singer and seems like an all-around good guy, but he's sort of boring and I think most voters would rather go for someone a little more exciting.

Interesting Possibilities:  Reagan, DaNica, Luke.  All of these are otherwise strong contestants who managed to put themselves out.  Reagan broke down, Luke got the yips, and DaNica picked bad songs and sort of had a bad day in the toughest week of the whole competition.  If Reagan's healthy again, she's the most interesting, but DaNica is the best technical singer in the whole contest - and I think there might be a tendency to go for a female singer given the sausage party of the top five.  I'm over Luke, but he was good early on, and might recapture that early magic.

Likely Contenders: Taylor Three Names, Anita.  I'm really, really rooting for T3N here.  Not because I think he can/should win it all (I don't), or even because I want to see him perform again (though I do), but because it makes the maximum mockery of this bleeding abortion they call the wildcard save.  They go through all the trouble of prepping seven extra contestants, most of whom are clearly undeserving, make a big deal about the wildcard, make the voting so baffling that neither the audience nor the contestants can understand it, and then - poof - the winner of all that mess is the guy who probably would have been fourth anyway.  Perfect.  But if you want a contestant who might actually stand a chance to win it all, then why not Anita?  Wouldn't it be awesome if the wildcard save takes the win away from charismatic, marketable Craig or Chris and gives it to a wonderful person but very unmarketable reggae singer?  Nelson Muntz, get your ha-ha ready.

What would be fun: If the whole top 20 was eligible.  I think Elyjuh, Bryana, Jean, and maybe James could really do something with another shot.

I think the only people with a chance are the two who get voted out tonight.

I agree, besides the performances tonight changing a decision, which isn't likely, people are going to still vote for those who made it this far.

Edited by blueray

Some speculation on the wildcard results.  I think it's a foregone conclusion that T3N and Damien will be "eliminated" and, essentially, get to do a Twitter save against nine contestants instead of just each other.

I don't understand how the wildcard voting works.  Is it a Twitter save, or is it a regular vote, where the results aren't known for a whole week?  Both are pretty awful (the whole wildcard thing is a trainwreck, honestly).  If it's a Twitter save, then it's just as bad as the regular Twitter save, except worse because most of the voters won't have heard most of the singers in weeks.  If it's a regular vote, then it's kind of goofy to not know who's going to be performing the following week.  So, so dumb.

One interesting quirk is that this vote, with so many contestants, will work more like an early-season vote.  Having a small but devoted fanbase could be enough as the vote will be split so many ways.  If there was a polarizing contestant like, say, S5 Kat or S6 Cole, that contestant would probably have a huge edge in this type of vote.  But this season has been pretty bland overall.  Reagan is the only contestant who seems like she might have that sort of following.

I agree that the likely wildcard will be "whoever is eliminated tonight who isn't named Damian",and if it's Taylor then I really hope so. Frankly it would have taken me ages just to remember the names of all the rest of the top 12 on my own. But reading your evaluation of contestants' chances I found myself thinking, "oh yeah! I really liked so-and-so! I wish they'd stayed over fill-in-the-blank." If someone like Luke pulls out a great performance, particularly if it's accompanied by a short clip reminding audiences of their past highlights, I think a lot of voters might think the same thing. In a field this big, that could definitely make an upset possible.

FYI, since there might still be some confusion, tonight's wildcard is not a twitter-save.  It's regular voting (phone/email/itunes/text) with the window closing earlier than normal at 3am ET/12am PT.

I also hope the wildcard goes to 1 of the Top 5 contestants.  I know it's supposed to be a clean slate and all, but everyone else got at least a week's rest and a chance to recuperate from the hectic rehearsal/performance schedule. The two contestants eliminated tonight might be at a slight disadvantage from a performance standpoint.  

Wildcard song spoiler:

(listed in order of singer's last name, no bias)

Anita Antoinette - Waiting on the World to Change

*Craig Wayne Boyd - Anymore

Reagan James - Put Your Records On

*Chris Jamison - I'll Be
Sugar Joans - Back to Black

Damien - Grenade
*Matt McAndrew - Imagine

Jessie Pitts - Zombie
DaNica Shirey - Without You
Ryan Sill - Marry Me
Luke Wade - Have a Little Faith in Me
Taylor John Williams - Wicked Game

* safe to say these 3 won't need to sing their WC

Ugh if this list is accurate, why couldn't Damien use his WC song as one of his two last night?

• Love 1

Right, because I was sure that I remember hearing Carson say that the Top 12 all had a shot at the Wildcard, and then he pointed to all of them sitting in the audience last night. Seems unfair, especially if it's the fucking Twitter Save. I loathe the Twitter Save. Basically, the tweenie boppers on Twitter, who live in the Eastern and Central time zones, Tweet to save the cutest guy. Yippee. 

ETA: Thanks for clarifying that it's NOT the Twit Save. Emphasis on Twit. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

After reading his choice for tonight, no way do I believe that Damien picked the Dawson's Creek theme song as his song choice. Other contestants have said in the past that they were given a very short list of songs to choose from for their song choice. I wouldn't be surprised if Dawson's Creek was the only recent song choice on the list.

And if Damien gets eliminated, I bet he sings early so he doesn't make it back in.

Hoping for Damien but figure it will be Taylor3Names.  Assuming they both get voted off tonight.  Possibly Anita to get a female in the finals.

Based on the spoilers, one might make the argument that Anita is pandering, but I'm not doing that because I don't care if contestants pander for votes.  These shows are essentially a game and you've got to play to win.  All I hope is that she doesn't sing it reggae style.  

Edited by limecoke

My god I HATE lawyer speak. Was just re-reading the voting rules and saw this:

The vote count for artists performing in the next-to-last Monday performance episode only (airing December 8, 2014) will include a Cumulative iTunes Vote Total to determine which of those artists will advance in the Show and perform in the finale.

What in the world? Can't even copy/paste, had to re-typed the whole thing. There's a super run-on paragraph that follows in the rules page. It drags more than Luke's Holding Back the Years. Basically, it says the "Cumulative iTunes Vote Period" is between November 10 (6:55pm PST) to December 8 (4:59pm PST), *include* votes that occur outside normal voting period.

Is this new? Does that mean the Total iTunes Purchases are used to determine who makes the finals? Big game changer. HUGE. (ok maybe not, it's the same 3 people getting the most itunes votes anyway). The section doesn't even specify whether a song had to break Top 10 for it to count. Seems like each and every iTunes purchase counts!

Edited by rollerblade
  • Love 2

I agree that the likely wildcard will be "whoever is eliminated tonight who isn't named Damian",and if it's Taylor then I really hope so.

LOL! Good point.

And LOL to the rule you posted above, rollerblade. I fell like they just make shit up as they go and they don't even bother to try to make it up in a convincing way.

Is this new? Does that mean the Total iTunes Purchases are used to determine who makes the finals? Big game changer. HUGE. (ok maybe not, it's the same 3 people getting the most itunes votes anyway). The section doesn't even specify whether a song had to break Top 10 for it to count. Seems like each and every iTunes purchase counts!

It's not new.  I haven't paid close attention to the rule over the past few seasons so I don't know how it's changed.  But there's been some variation of this since season 3.  If I remember correctly, cumulative itunes votes included total itunes purchases of songs performed in the live shows + any itunes bonuses. This cumulative itunes vote was applied to the final.

Some people on idolforums say they'll announce the wildcard on the Today Show.

I think this would make a lot of sense (getting the results out to the public as quickly as possible), but is this confirmed or just speculation?  I mean, people got worked up about a twitter save for the wildcard which was completely untrue.

Edited by Noreaster

I mean, people got worked up about a twitter save for the wildcard which was completely untrue.

For whatever reason, the show never made this whole Wildcard thing completely clear (or anything completely clear honestly) and Jessie, who is part of this Wildcard thing, said it was a Twitter vote, so that did seem like pretty good info.

It's not new.  I haven't paid close attention to the rule over the past few seasons so I don't know how it's changed.  But there's been some variation of this since season 3.  If I remember correctly, cumulative itunes votes included total itunes purchases of songs performed in the live shows + any itunes bonuses. This cumulative itunes vote was applied to the final.

Yes I've always thought they used the cumulative votes to determine the winner. Never seen them used it to determine the finalists.

Apparently this season's finale votes will not include the iTunes Bonus or Cumulative iTunes Totals. I joked about Jessie not knowing the rules before, but now I can't fault anyone for being confused. Pretty sure the fine print of my car insurance is less convoluted.

• Love 1

For whatever reason, the show never made this whole Wildcard thing completely clear (or anything completely clear honestly) and Jessie, who is part of this Wildcard thing, said it was a Twitter vote, so that did seem like pretty good info.

Though at least on this board, some people got worked up even before they knew the source.  Just looking for confirmation, that's all.  

Yes I've always thought they used the cumulative votes to determine the winner. Never seen them used it to determine the finalists.

Apparently this season's finale votes will not include the iTunes Bonus or Cumulative iTunes Totals. I joked about Jessie not knowing the rules before, but now I can't fault anyone for being confused. Pretty sure the fine print of my car insurance is less convoluted.

If the change to the rule was made this season, it makes sense because of the wildcard.  If the wildcard winner happens to be Jessie, let's say, then she is at a significant disadvantage when it comes to the cumulative itunes vote.

I kind of want Ryan to come back. It would be funny to see America save him again.

I would actually like to hear another night of Danica's vocals, so if I'm picking based on merit, it would be her.

Whoever said the voice save performances are based on where the judges sit is on to something. (Thank you to the person who pointed that out) Tonight it looks like they switched it around a little and are saving Pharrell for last. I can understand why they would put all of one coaches artists together, but I think it would be more fair if they didn't always start with Team Blake.

• Love 2

So happy for Craig . I also love how he shake hands/ hugs the other judges. Classy.

Were all the wild cards nervous or what. I'll go for Danica or Damien. For snickers and giggles boy bander Ryan.

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Love 1

I am really hope it's Luke or TJW. I thought Damien and team Blake did well overall but I'd like to see one of the new coaches get someone in.

I thought it was a great choice for Luke. It was a little worried he'd run out of steam like his past couple of performances but he made it through and did pretty awesome.

I feel like TJW has the best chance of not just coming in last in the finals.

Danica was great but I am just not super crazy for her song choices.

Ryan and Sugar were blah to me.

I'm hoping for Taylor or Damian both had great performances and I think it will be ironic if they did this whole thing only to have someone who came in 4/5 make it through anyway.

I also liked Jessie and forgot about her, it would be nice to have a girl in finale.

Some people on idolforums say they'll announce the wildcard on the Today Show.

They are, which is dumb since most people work/ or have school and can't watch the today show. Plus it's a 2 hr show, which even though I'm on winter break doesn't mean that I want to sit through just to see who wins... annoying. Of course it'll probably be leaked right away.

Why did they put Pharrell's team last? They should have done them in the order they were eliminated. And also, it's really annoying that they're announcing this on the Today Show. Takes all the suspense out of it, since I'm just gonna have to look here to see who it is.

I kind of want Ryan to come back. It would be funny to see America save him again

Same! Or maybe Sugar Jones...just because. Edited by Universalhunter
  • Love 3

That was a really fast-paced show, too fast.  Each performance was too short to be that impactful.  And when trying to pick one winner of the night, I feel like they started to blend together. 

I'll say that the first few performances were weaker.  Reagan and Jessie were the worst. Ryan and Taylor were okay.  Anita was interesting and took risks with her song but she couldn't quite pull it off (and why the hell not with plenty of time to rehearse).  

Everyone else was much stronger.  Damien, Sugar, Luke, Danica.  Out of these four, I like Damien and Luke the most.  Danica sounded great at parts but also off at other times...can't quite put my finger on it.  Sugar was good but I wish there were some softer parts to the song.  

My votes are going to Damien.  Not only did he do well tonight, but he along with Taylor are the most "deserving" of a finalist spot. That's the tie-breaker for me.  All in on Damien.  

• Love 1

Random thoughts on the show:

T3N looked like he was just done with the whole thing, and he didn't sing well. It sounded as if the pitch was too low for him, but even without that issue, taking another strong and well-known melody and ignoring it to sing some random variation didn't work, imo. Judging by the expression on his face when it was over, he knew it, too.

Anita looked beautiful but she didn't seem to be singing - it was a strangely unmelodic performance. And Gwen managed to praise everything about her but her singing.

Speaking of looking beautiful, I couldn't decide if they let the eliminated contestants style themselves, or if the show had finallyreplaced the Kohl stylists, but all of the singers looked much better than they ever had. Except for Hat Taylor, who looked like a refugee from a high school performance of Tom Sawyer.

I think nerves took over for Reagan, Jessie, and Ryan.

I liked Damien and Luke tonight so I think that's how I'll,vote. I could not take Taylor serious dressed like an Amish boy. ( no offense to anyone!)

I forgot half these singers. Especially Jesse, she was a total wtf.

One thing I did notice, it seemed like Pharrell has committed to making a Luke Wade album. Maybe it's wishful thinking but Pharrell seemed into the idea. For that reason, even though Luke was probably my fav, I wont be too upset if he doesn't get in. And looking at itunes thus far, he likely won't.

So sorry to have to listen to Reagan ruin another song. I was interested how the band just played a rhythm section behind her, no point thinking about the melody, she wasn't.

I thought it was interesting when Blake started talking about her age and she gave one of her (imo, many) bitch faces, he caught it right away, good-naturedly saying, "I'm sure you get really tired of hearing that, but..."  Really, she has way too much attitude for a 16 year old with (imo) minimal talent. Please no more Reagan Jaymes!

• Love 8

I thought Damien, DaNica (who I thought were the front runners in a situation like this) were terrible. Luke and Jessie were awful too, but I didn't see them as front runners.

Sugar and Ryan noticeably improved, but not enough to where I want to see them again. 

I really liked Anita's, but I doubt what she did will get her votes. 

Reagan was the best. But she went first and it wasn't a song that will earn votes..

So Taylor 3 names it is. 

• Love 1

I think it's cheaper to have a wild card round than it is to have established artists perform in a results show.

Tonight I realized that Chris looks like Wentworth Miller from Prison Break. Maybe he can tattoo the architectural plans and get away.

• Love 5

Speaking of looking beautiful, I couldn't decide if they let the eliminated contestants style themselves, or if the show had finallyreplaced the Kohl stylists, but all of the singers looked much better than they ever had. Except for Hat Taylor, who looked like a refugee from a high school performance of Tom Sawyer.

He looks like emo Stan Laurel...

3a4a565ab15708ef9e2d6d8dc7a79699.jpg

• Love 1

I thought TJW actually came away with the strongest wildcard performance of the night. Great song choice with "Wicked Games" (which I've heard far too many times on SYTYCD to not recognize the title of) for him, and I like that he showcased more of his range than usual while still keeping that bluesy dark sound intact.

Color me shocked that Damien didn't absolutely slay "Grenade." I thought that kind of song would be perfect for him. Angsty and just filled with emotion in general, works well provided you have a great set of vocals, yet isn't so iconic that any other version would automatically pale in comparison. But the musical arrangement didn't really come together for me, and the song felt more chopped up than any of the other ones. Plus Damien was doing a little "uh" thing before many of his lines and that annoyed me.

Sugar actually sounded great in "Back To Black," but no, just no. And I too was saying to my dad, "If Ryan gets voted back into this thing I will laugh."

Either way, I just really want a Team Gwen or Team Pharrell person in there, and I think the person who stands most of a chance against the other three is TJW. I've thrown all my votes to him and am hoping for the best.

I think Reagan is too dense to realize that Blake is pandering to her demographic - the 16 year old wannabes - whenever he makes one of his comments stressing her age, and she doesn't have enough sense to play it up even if that's not her own perception of herself.  What-her-name Bradlee (the young blonde) in the earlier season played along with Blake when he pulled out that card and look how far she got.

"Without You" is one of my favorite songs, but as much as I love Danica, the song was short on impact and long on trills.  When Harry Nilson sang it there was much more control and emotion in the song.  She was just showing off her range. I was disappointed.

Jessie Pitts tried to do airy-fairy with an edge, it seemed to me.  I still don't like her singing style.

I want Damien to get the wildcard because not only has he overcome obstacles in his real life, he's had to overcome Adam's song choices - a double whammy.

T3N's grandma looked like she knew that he didn't give his best performance.

I was glad that the real Luke finally showed up again.  I don't know what it is, but there's something about that guy that I like, and I want him to do well.

Sugar - meh.  I've never been caught up in her hype.  She looks like she's been rode hard and put away wet.

Anita didn't do her song as well as she should have.  She's got a powerful voice but I think she needs someone who can really point her in the direction of songs that showcase it, rather than have her just sing "statement" songs that don't seem to convey the depth of the statement.

It would be hilarious if Ryan got in.  But I have to tell you, the relationship between him and Gwen is starting to creep me out a little.

I noticed this season with the judges in these last rounds, that they gave more praise than criticism compared to previous years when they would mention the flaws that were obvious in the performances.  Now it's all happy happy, joy joy and I want to hear the album you're going to make comments.  Perhaps the producers tracked downvoting as a result of criticism, or maybe one of the coaches complained to the others about the effect a comment had on his singer's standings.

I fast-forwarded through all the coaches comments (which, really? in a one-hour show with 9 singers?); did any of them say anything meaningful, or make any useful suggestions?

I haven't watched the coaches' comments since the battles, except occasionally by accident, but I feel pretty confident that the answer is no.

I think it's cheaper to have a wild card round than it is to have established artists perform in a results show.

Tonight I realized that Chris looks like Wentworth Miller from Prison Break. Maybe he can tattoo the architectural plans and get away.

The cost factor is a really great insight.  But I'd be happy to have the whole top 12 come back for say... six or eight duet performances rather than something that supposedly counts.  It gets the contestants more exposure, which I'm sure they'd love to have, and works as a retrospective.  And they wouldn't have to have SUCH a rushed pace for the show.

Agreed on Wentworth Miller, mentioned it the other day.  On the topic of the actual show... almost everybody stunk! That's kinda the best-case scenario for my hope that the producers don't bring this stupid idea back again.  In reverse order of how much I liked them...

Ryan was not interesting enough to me to pay attention to the performance.  I watched it, but don't remember it, couldn't even tell you what he sang.  Nothing against the guy, but he had no chance and he's not as interesting musically to me as some of the others.

Anita was all over the map.  This is exactly why I disliked Anita in the early going.  She's singing all right, but I can't figure out where the notes are coming from.  This is kind of a general reggae allergy with me, but I think this was excessive.  She doesn't deserve to get to the finals, but if she somehow does, I hope she wins (because it would stick a thumb in the producers' eyes if she did.)

Jessie was pretty much just being Jessie.  Song was a perfect choice since it has the same trills in the original that she likes to do, but she missed some notes and didn't supply enough power when it was needed.  Glad to see her again, but I don't want her in the finals either.

DaNica didn't live up to her potential.  Her breathing was impeccable as usual, but her pitch was off (sharp, I think, which is unusual) and she actually seemed to run out of range in the low end.  Someone whose strength is technical skills can't afford to have problems like this.

Reagan might still be hurting.  Let me ask America... is she better off than she was four weeks ago?  Her performance was long on style and breathing and short on ... song.  Overall though, I liked it - not really enough to want to bring her back though.  Glad to see her again, but I don't want her in the finals.

T3N had to keep being himself, messing around with the melody since he couldn't mess around with the style as it was already in his style.  The trouble with fiddling with the melody is nobody can tell what's supposed to be happening.  It's tough to get the benefit of the doubt.  I'm still rooting for him, strategically speaking.

Damien was pretty much just being Damien.  Nothing really wrong with the performance... but it wasn't moving, and it needed to be.  Maybe 90 seconds isn't enough time, or maybe he's just all cried out.  He should have done this song last week, or three weeks ago, or whatever, when he could have had more time.  This song is not exactly a rocking dance number, but it's about as uptempo as Damien gets, and doing this song earlier in the show might have shaken off some of that cloud of gloom that's been surrounding him.

Sugar actually was pretty good, and that's upsetting, because she annoys me and if she gets in it'll just encourage the producers to do this again next year.  Still, I actually did enjoy this song.  Solid choice for her, and although I was distracted by how purple her hair was, I found little fault.  No, she's not tortured enough to be Amy Winehouse, but she does kind of look like her, and I never felt like she didn't get it.  Kept his... lips... wet.  Ok.  Well, network TV, I guess.  The only complaint I would have is that she was a little shrill, but not in the way that the original was, but shrill from being at full power too long.  But accurate.

Luke did the best IMO.  Adam complained that he seemed lost, but I really just didn't see it.  I went and rewatched to see if he made one of his trademark blunders but I just didn't see it.  Unlike most of the contestants, he managed to actually perform the song instead of yelling it.  It's a loud-in-the-middle song and although there wasn't time to go through the whole progression, he did the build up part well - considering only 90 seconds to do it in.  I thought it was actually pretty good, and I liked the song choice as a way of asking for another chance.  That's not what the song is about, of course, but it seems like it is if you only listen to the hook.  Might be good enough.

Even though Luke was the best tonight, I'm still hoping for T3N or, as a long shot, Damien, since they are the only ones that actually deserve it.  One 90-second song should not undo four weeks of (what passes for) full-length songs.

Edited by fluffysheap

Oh my god, I'm cracking up.  I wanted Damien to advance so I'm happy.  But this has to be one of the worst outcomes for the producers. A 4-person finale with only 2 coaches. Not just any two coaches, but the veterans. And one coach with his team entirely intact. This is just too funny.

I think I'm stating the obvious...on paper, Craig is likely the winner. The finale performances still have to play out of course, and I have no idea what the votes have been like throughout the season. But if these boards are any indication, some people care more about the coaches than the contestants.  A 3-way split of Adam's team vs. 1 for Blake. Congratulations, Craig Wayne Boyd, for winning The Voice!

• Love 3

HAHAHA...I was keeping all fingers and toes crossed for this wildcard thing to blow up in the producers' faces. I was hoping for a T3N or Damien win, which totally negates this whole process. The 4th person in the final is...the guy who would have come in fourth anyway: Damien. Awesome.

• Love 2