Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Fresh Meat

Show is returning January 4th.   Guess they're not doing Rachel vs. Guy this year (big loss there).

Looks like Bobby's been dumped in favor of Food Network's reality show darling du jour, Tyler Florence.  I'm definitely not seeing him and Anne meshing well.  

I just heard about it being Tyler instead of Bobby this season, biiiiiig mistake I think. Bobby & Anne have fantastic chemistry, Tyler is a dish rag.

Why do you think there's not Rachael vs Guy this year? Is it canceled?

Feh. They should've dumped Anne if they were in the mood for dumping. Tired of her, her hair, her clogs, and her shiny shiny lips.

One might presume since the show is so irritating that I won't watch this season, but nope. I still enjoy seeing the doofus home cooks.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 7

I just heard about it being Tyler instead of Bobby this season, biiiiiig mistake I think. Bobby & Anne have fantastic chemistry, Tyler is a dish rag.

Why do you think there's not Rachael vs Guy this year? Is it canceled?

Rachel vs.. Guy usually premieres right after New Year's and runs for six weeks, then Worst Cooks takes over that slot in mid-February.  Since Worst Cooks is starting early I'm assuming Rachel vs. Guy isn't happening this year or at least they've delayed it.

I might be out.  I thought the first year with Beau was pretty good, but over the last couple the Personality Meter and TV Reality Tokens (Loud Black Woman, Raging Queen, Tattoo'd Nose Ring Hipster Girl) have been dialed up to 11.  Replace the thankfully now all grown up Flay with unpleasant unshaven Cali bum Florence and it may well be over the  edge for me, as I already could barely stand Anne.

• Love 2

On Food Truck Race, I remind myself that Tyler is just saying and doing what the writers and producers tell him to do. He doesn't write or produce the show. He was a very good teacher on "Food 911", so I think he'll be good in that role hear.

I don't watch the regular cooking shows (only shows I watch on FN are the compettion shows) so I never really had an opinion of Bobby Flay,until i saw him on Worst Cooks.  I liked him  - he was certainly much better than Beau or Robert.   And I liked Anne better when she was competing with Bobby.  I gathered from the forums that a lot of people disliked Bobby but Worst Cooks changed their minds. 

I know Tyler from Food Truck.  I don't have a strong opinion of him - I just think of him as an announcer. But I know a lot of viewers don't like him, as was the case with Bobby,  I am looking forward to see if Worst Cooks while change their minds.  

I do which they would replace Anne.  Maybe with Alex G.   

• Love 1

I do agree that Bobby was a good addition to this show but how many shows is he on???

I'm watching the rebroad of last season with Nails and Flight Attendant and in the episode where they cook for their loved ones they use a gazillion pans.  Watching Nails use 3 different skillets for each of her chicken breasts...when they are all done plating it looks like a kitchen pan/utensil nightmare!!  If you can't cook 3 portions of chicken parm without decimating a kitchen the clean up each time will ruin your will to cook.  Let's get real...these guys aren't going to go home and really get food on the plate with any regularity but maybe cutting down on take out once a quarter is the reality LOL!!!

I agree with the above poster that last season was the height of stereotype casting....seems like the trend with most shows nowadays.  It's like they don't trust that we the viewing audience will be entertained enough from the premise of the story and gasp, actual cooking....we need sob stories and over the top personalities.

• Love 2

I doubt they dropped Bobby.  He is too big a name to dump.  I think he left because he has too many other things that warrant his attention.  I would not be surprised to hear he has another show in the making.  Tyler is cardboard and seems devoid of humor.  Nice guy but not dynamic to watch.  

I cannot tolerate Guy or Rachael and because of this they are perfect to pair together!   I can miss both of them in one shot!  LOL

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I watched one of the repeated episodes and it was interesting because the four I though were standing out turned out to be the top four last year (of course I may have subconsciously remembered that).

I'm looking forward to watching it tonight, even I know that they exaggerate the stories.

I'm having a hella hard time believing a good half of these people are for real. It's pretty obvious a shit ton of them are there to launch their showbiz career. Career at what, I'm not sure, but they certainly aren't there to learn to cook. 

• Love 6

Bobby was mentioned pretty clearly in all the casting calls that went out for this season so I dont think he was dumped, I think his busy schedule finally caught up with him and more than likely he opted out.  I went to a taping of Beat Bobby Flay a few months back and just that show alone I couldnt get over how grueling that taping is and he does 5 shows a week when its being filmed.  I was there for almost 7 1/2 hours straight and as an audience member I was exhausted. 

It's pretty obvious a shit ton of them are there to launch their showbiz career. Career at what, I'm not sure...

This season should be called "Thirstiest Cooks in America."  I can't remember the last time I cussed so much at my TV.  Sure, they're famewhores trying to make it, but fuck!, people, show some restraint.  During orientation, did the producers tell them to do something quirky every fucking time the camera was pointed at them or risk being cut?

I hated so many of them.

There was David Eric, the wannabe Jerry Lewis.  Leave.

There was Leopold, the "performance artist" who made sure to prance through every shot he could photobomb.  Go away.

And I despised Sarah, who was 33, but looked 50, so she had to squeak when she talked and/or acted the fool.  I believe these links are about her:

http://www.sctimes.com/story/life/food/2015/01/01/apollo-grad-worst-cooks-america-contestant/21164515/

http://voice123.com/sarahbettendorf

I hope the carefully crafted personalities get cut first, because I'd like to watch the show long enough to get to know the more normal-seeming people.

I'll probably get some hate about this, but I get major squicked when cooks taste something and then put the spoon back in the pot, so I was kinda relieved when Christina got cut.

• Love 3

I agree. Bobby has been with FN since day one, or as he puts in in interviews, when the only talent they could afford to hire were people they afford to pay the taxi fare to get to their studio. He has multiple shows, including Brunch@Bobbys on CC, so I think he got too busy. Not to mention the many restaurants he owns that need to be managed. 

Bobby was mentioned pretty clearly in all the casting calls that went out for this season so I dont think he was dumped, I think his busy schedule finally caught up with him and more than likely he opted out.  I went to a taping of Beat Bobby Flay a few months back and just that show alone I couldnt get over how grueling that taping is and he does 5 shows a week when its being filmed.  I was there for almost 7 1/2 hours straight and as an audience member I was exhausted.

Too bad because I find nothing interesting or unique about the Beat Bobby Flay show.

I missed the intros and caught this late but I was amused at a newer level of incompetence than in the past.  If they are faking or even play faking they sure come up with some new things to suck at!!

Thought it was interesting that Anne was harping on sanitation but it's good for these guys to learn theoretically what to do/not do....plus good cleanliness handling poultry etc.   That being said, all pro chefs on these cooking shows (including her) have tasted something and dumped what is left on the spoon back into the pot.  Top Chef is the worst offender, which lets you know what's going on in real kitchens.  There has been a trend in the last few years about using tasting spoons for TV though, on the Food Network.  And they really have stopped people from tasting food off their fingers on TV, even though that's the old school way things were/are done.

Well, first episode down. As someone who doesn't cook at all, I don't understand how these people can possibly be this incompetent, they have to be faking some of it.

• Love 1

I'm having a hella hard time believing a good half of these people are for real. It's pretty obvious a shit ton of them are there to launch their showbiz career. Career at what, I'm not sure, but they certainly aren't there to learn to cook. 

This is my problem with the show. I end up fast forwarding through a lot of it.

I think that "if" they are real people the producers told them to exaggerate their personality as much as possible. Which is why some people such as Stephanie I think her name was didn't get much screen time because they seemed the most normal. I think without them being so fake it still would be entertaining.

I like a few of the people who seem sincere - the girl who said she only ever knew how to cook eggs seemed legit and like she wanted to learn. 

The dude who played the main character in revenge of the nerds can go any day now. 

• Love 1

I was certainly convinced by Tyler's sincere shock and surprise at what he was confronted with, since he's such a busy guy that I'm sure he didn't have a chance to watch any of the prior seasons of the show or discuss it with TPTB before agreeing to appear.

Color me shocked -- SHOCKED, I TELL YOU! -- that once again they doubled-down on the cartoon characters. Guh. 

Leo can go ahead and fuck right off at his earliest convenience. Even Anne -- Anne, for crying out loud! -- had "You need to dial it WAAAAY back, buddy!" written all over her face. I would agree, except that what he really needs to do is GTFO. Couldn't stand him right from first glance when he was doing that overwrought side-to-side head thing while walking down the street. And the high-stepping in the kitchen with arms flailing made me want to shove a screwdriver down my throat.

Hey, it's heavy-set sassy African-American lady with a huge crush on the male host! Who saw that coming?!?

And the cheerleader princess. Check. The magician, the quirky folk artist, the mimbo, the country lady whose wifebeater-clad hillbilly husband wants to sell their stove, the person who "only 'knows how' to make one single thing" and therefore eats it EVERY DAY! Check, check, check, check, check.

Googly-eyed reaction shots every 10 seconds, complete with contorted mouths and noses. Check.

The obviously phony level of lack-of-knowledge, check. "You mean filet mignon isn't fish???" "Wait, so I shouldn't put gummy bears in matzo ball soup???" etc. I'm surprised nobody claimed to not know what green beans are.

People... that shit ain't funny. None of it. You're trying too hard, and everybody knows it. It's not amusing, it's just silly. Not to mention annoying as all hell.

• Love 13

Perhaps they should rename this the "Worst Out of Work Actor Cooks in America" since I could tell from the commercials that these guys have had some sort of acting career/training.  They're too polished in their goofiness.  But what I like best about this show is when Anne and Tyler/Bobby show the actors how to cook a meal so it doesn't really matter if they're genuine super-bad cooks or just desperate actors getting a paid job break from community theatre. That weird Sarah is supposedly a teacher but she seems half-drunk all the time.  I watched last season's reruns on Saturday and the contestants felt more genuine - that they really were doctors, tattoo artists, flight attendants, moms.  This year's group seems a little too weird to be real.

If I watch this as light entertainment with a cooking lesson I'll be OK.  I did agree with the cuts.  That one guy blew off making the sauce and the lady got too far behind because she kept on having to redo her cous-cous.  Good on Anne for making her redo the cous-cous twice.

ETA: I didn't realize Sarah is from Minnesota. Maybe that's why she's so weird (ha).  I guess she is a real teacher.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 3

I'm all on board with the woman who, it appears, will be drinking her way through the show. If I were on it, that's the first thing I'd do. Head straight for the liquor in the pantry and "set it free."

• Love 6

I miss Bobby but I did appreciate Tyler when he said while looking down on the contestants, "This is a very special place."  That cracked me up.  

Jerry Lewis' illegitimate son can go away anytime.  Lots of over the top personalities....hopefully some of them tone it WAY down.  

• Love 1

The dude who played the main character in revenge of the nerds can go any day now.

The sad thing is, I'm not even sure which one you mean, because two or three of them could fit that description!

• Love 2

yeah I can never figure out if people think they are good cooks or bad cooks when they sign up for this show. They audition as "worst cooks",but then have a specialty that they think is good. And it always seems like there ars some who are faking their incompetence. Especially the two women who have chefs or restaurant owners in their families.

And enough of the clowns.

I like a few of the people who seem sincere - the girl who said she only ever knew how to cook eggs seemed legit and like she wanted to learn. 

Teddybear Massacre? Especially if he takes Cyndi Lauper with him. 

• Love 1

I don't think they pick these people because they can't cook. They pick them for the stupid, comedic acting shenanigans they think people will find entertaining. No one is funny or entertaining. I agree with the poster who said this show has jumped the shark, or in this case the meatloaf teddy bear.

My two peeps who got voted off were both from Illinois. I hung my head in shame.

• Love 3

I don't think they pick these people because they can't cook. They pick them for the stupid, comedic acting shenanigans they think people will find entertaining. No one is funny or entertaining. I agree with the poster who said this show has jumped the shark, or in this case the meatloaf teddy bear.

My two peeps who got voted off were both from Illinois. I hung my head in shame.

I know! I was excited to see some Illinoisans.

What I don't get, every season, is the aim of the contest. To be on the show, they have to be bad cooks. But then, with each lesson, they get kicked off if they're bad cooks. So the winner is always going to be someone who really isn't terrible. They sell it as the winner is someone who the show "transformed" from worst to best. But the reality is that the one who isn't horrible from the beginning, who has some cooking skills, (but is a good enough actor to pass as horrible) will win. While the real "worst cooks" are sent home after ONE bad meal. Is the message that they're so awful they can't be taught?

• Love 5

Good golly Miss Molly what out of work actors bar did they find all these people in?? Horrible. Everyone is so FAKE it's not even fun to watch. And the Jerry Lewis guy gives me the creeps. The Julia Childs chick can shut it, it's not funny after you do it once so just stop. I like the new host but I never watched his other show so I have no preconceived ideas about him. Anne Burrell (and I posted this on Cuthroat Kitchen also) needs a new hairstyle asap. I loved her hair when it was short and fluffy and even spiked. Even the pink she put in it didn't bother me but good gravy this Ace Ventura look is bad, bad, bad. She just looks lop sided with that mess of hair on one side only. OK rant over. 

• Love 3

If I watch this as light entertainment with a cooking lesson I'll be OK.

My sentiments exactly......loving the lessons.

lol at all the comments about the cheftestants; how on earth do people get to be adults without knowing anything about food preparation?? 

• Love 1
And I despised Sarah, who was 33, but looked 50, so she had to squeak when she talked and/or acted the fool.  I believe these links are about her:

I kept saying to my sister that there was no way that woman was only in her 30s! 

I wish they wouldn't kick off the cooks. Well. I wish they would kick off the super annoying ones but keep the ones who genuinely want to learn all the way through the show. I felt so badly for crying mama. Maybe it was acting, but I don't like to see people cry. 

• Love 1

I kept saying to my sister that there was no way that woman was only in her 30s! 

I wish they wouldn't kick off the cooks. Well. I wish they would kick off the super annoying ones but keep the ones who genuinely want to learn all the way through the show. I felt so badly for crying mama. Maybe it was acting, but I don't like to see people cry. 

I wished that the guy went home... because he was way more annoying.

• Love 1

Ok, I've watched a few seasons of this show and after watching the Season 6 Premier I had lost all respect for it. If this show is suppose to be trying to help people become better cooks than please get people that do suck at cooking. I'm sure they're not the best but after seeing the woman attempt to cut gummy bears with a knife in it cardboard sleeve I was like ...ok!!  Then after they told her to take it off and then she didn't know what end was sharp even though it was serrated and she started using the back side of the knife I knew it was rigged and scripted. I don't care who you are, if you stupid, or even don't have common sense everyone knows how the knife works and which side cuts. These people don't cook for themselves and always order take out or go out to eat. Are you telling me these "Adults" have never used a knife at a restaurant?! Come on food network, you guys are digging for how to make someone look like an idiot and now that you have gone to the ridiculous it is showing your show is scripted and fixed.

Also not to mention the part where one of the women didn't know what the difference between a potato and an onion was!!  Really!!!

...and now after seeing the preview of the second episode the guy with the long hair and goatee said he doesn't know what a cucumber is!!!  Come on!!!  I would've believed him if he said something like he didn't know which one was an English Cucumber to a regular Cucumber.

After enjoying this show for a few years now, and then seeing just the first episode of season 6, I had lost all respect for it.

Edited by Bella
  • Love 6

I saw a commercial last night where Tyler is giving this little quiz and asks which of these 3 vegetables is actually a fruit (and named 3 things), one of the male contestants stares with a blank stare and goes "I have no idea what a cucumber is" with this what the hell is that? look.  If I never thought this show was fake already that surely did it.  No way do I believe there is any adult who doesnt what a cucumber is.

Or one who can't use a potato peeler. Get real!

I will say that the type of potato peeler, the "y" style, they had is not one I'm familiar with. It might take me a minute or two to figure it out, but ultimately I'm fairly confident I could figure it out. 

• Love 2

I don't like the Y-style potato peeler. But please, these people have been in restaurants and cafeterias, at least, and should be able to recognize things they eat even if they can't cook them.

• Love 1