Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

Maybe I didn't explain myself right (English is not my mother language). It's not the date per se what I think it's going too fast. It's that in four episodes (two/three days in show time) we have had her pushing him away, two life threatening crisis, more pushing away, two kisses and a hug, a date (with a pink fluffy dress and Snow taking pics) and, probably, a big fall out. That's what I think it's going too fast, the way the writers are burning the stages of the relationship to put them in the situation they want them to be for the big showdown with the DQ and/or Rumple.

About the dress, I just think it's ugly. If they wanted to put her in something different to show how open she is now, great, but they could have put her in something more flattering. Maybe it's the color, but I just don't like it. The hair is great though.

When was she really pushing him away?  In the premiere he wanted a quiet moment, she told him to be patient but kissed him.  They spent most of episode 2 apart but she didn't discourage his idea of champagne and she lept into his arms coming out of the cave.  In the 3rd episode she didn't want him to help her because she was afraid he'd get frozen like Marian.  She did push him a little, but he also pushed back and, in the end, they were together in the street certainly not pushing each other away.  She's explained her feelings, first feeling guilty about wrecking Regina's happiness, second having to face a crisis every day and third, worrying that he could end up dead because past history says every boyfriend she has dies.  They are showcasing the relationship I think because major angst is coming and they need a solid foundation for it to be believable that the romance will survive the angst.

And third, Emma doesn't seem like the type to own a dress like that. And I doubt she had the time to go out and purposely buy that dress for the date.

Plus, would Emma have brought date clothes with her to Storybrooke? I know the writers keep forgetting the timeline, but it's only been maybe two weeks since she left New York for what she believed at the time would be a temporary visit, with no plans to get involved with a certain pirate, and she didn't have time after deciding to stay before the town was surrounded by a wall of ice so she couldn't have gone back to New York to get all her stuff. I doubt she packed her short, tight leather dresses and stiletto heels. It would be adorable if she's borrowing one of Mary Margaret's dresses.

Edited by Shanna Marie
  • Love 1
(edited)

There are stores in Storybrooke where people can purchase clothes and shoes.  There's a store that sells wedding dresses!  I don't know why Emma wouldn't just go shopping.

This. And dammit, I want Emma to have her very own brand new, cute, princess-y like dress that she bought for the occasion, not something that was sitting in Mary Margaret's closet. If MM wants to give her some jewelry to go with it, that would be sweet. Otherwise, I like the idea Emma went and bought a new dress for the occasion. Or, Hell, magicked one up. 

(And really, that dress probably shows too much cleavage to ever have been Mary Margaret's. MM is a buttoned to the top kinda gal).

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 2
I think the point is that her dress is so different from what she usually wears.  This dress is sparkly, pink and princessy.  Emma's usually in red or black with a leather jacket.  I think the dress is supposed to convey that she's being vulnerable with him and open and it's a special occasion.

I agree with this. We're supposed to get the vibe of the parents and the BFF sending Emma out on her first date, and the dress is part of that. I don't think she's had that kind of experience, so it's almost a virginal, prom-princess type of dress. I can imagine Snow being all happy, and David being all glowery (or as glowery as he can get) and Elsa being all giggly.

I like the dress, but I'm unsure about the color. It might be a case, like Elsa's dress, where it looks better onscreen than in photos. Remember when the Elsa photos first came out, people were like, "THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER."

we all know without a shadow of doubt that since Emma (and Hook) look really happy here that, by the end of the episode, it's all going to hell and end in a flaming ball of crap and pain for everyone involved,

Oh, absolutely. I will squee along with the fluffy scenes and then weep with the TRAGIC ANGST. I can't wait.

• Love 2

I wonder if this is some sort of O Henry thing. Hook gets the hand because he thinks that's what Emma wants and Emma gets a girly dress because she thinks that's what Hook wants and in the end, they give up something of themselves and mess everything up by trying to make the other person happy.

And as much as I love those pictures, I kind of feel like they are too cute. Hook can't be that charming and Emma can't be that pink. It just seems a bit out of character. That's also why I'm probably really looking forward to Hook going all scoundrel by punching Will.

• Love 3

I wonder if this is some sort of O Henry thing. Hook gets the hand because he thinks that's what Emma wants and Emma gets a girly dress because she thinks that's what Hook wants and in the end, they give up something of themselves and mess everything up by trying to make the other person happy.

Oh wow. This IS Grease. They even dressed like it. Hook's the bad boy, Emma is Sandra Dee.

As for the adoring audience, doesn't Emma still live there?

I thought she was living at Granny's, but it seems like recently she's been living at the loft? How do David and MM fit 5-6 people in there? Elsa might be there too. Henry's staying with Regina for now, it looks like.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

I think the dress is fine. It washes her out a bit but it is a very pretty style. My problem is with the hair. That is not a pretty or elegant adult ponytail. That is an elementary school, picture day ponytail. All it's missing is an enormous pink glittery now. Speaking of odd, did Rumple dress Hook? What is with the vest?

As for the adoring audience, doesn't Emma still live there? And Elsa has to be staying somewhere the town mob can't reach her so my guess is there. I don't mind the presence of Elsa but for me, the presence of her parents should be a huge push to get her own place. It's sweet but it's also cloying. Once should be more than enough. My question though is did they know she was getting dressed for a date or were they doing their thing and she walked out? The second seems much more Emma like.

Edited by l star

My problem is with the hair. That is not a pretty or elegant adult ponytail. That is an elementary school, picture day ponytail.

That's about my only complaint, too. I'm sorry, but didn't the bump-it/hair-pouf trend go out a couple seasons ago? Jennifer has such gorgeous long hair and that's the best they come up with?

Maybe, but all Gold would have to do is erase the tape. Hell, erase every single video tape in Storybrooke and poof every remaining Betamax in town out of existence. That's the problem with this "blackmail" stuff - Gold is powerful enough to work around pretty much anything and erase people's memories so they don't even know he's done it.

• Love 1

It has only been like four days (plus a couple in the Enchanted Forest) since Emma decided to stay in Storybrooke, so I understand why she doesn't have her own place yet. Adam and Eddy have kind of insinuated Emma will look for one later in the season. But I was also of the understanding that she was staying at Grannys, but maybe her moving back in with the Charmings is supposed to have been a passport scene.

Emma's dress doesn't bother me -- I agree that it is probably supposed to be reflective of her mental state and is a deliberate contrast to what she usually wears. I still find Hook's jacket a bit staid for such a flamboyant guy. Motorcycle jacket was a good way to go, but I would have gone with something more like this, where the collar has a bit more heft and is a bit more punk rock. The one they went with is a little flat and conservative and looks almost like a suit jacket. Overall the updated look is fine, though. 

• Love 1

I can't wait to see how it plays out. I kind of wish Elsa wasn't there though, if it's really a "first date" kind of thing with Snowing. I know they're going for Insta-besties with Emma and Elsa, but really it would've made more sense if it had been Ruby there.

Omfg, seriously, I retract my previous comments about Hook's wardrobe. That's nothing compared to THAT shirt. Who the hell thought that was a good idea??? It's awful!

Seriously, did someone really important to Costuming (slash the entire Costuming team) leave in between seasons? The costuming is noticeably much worse this season.

I think the dress is fine. It washes her out a bit but it is a very pretty style. My problem is with the hair. That is not a pretty or elegant adult ponytail. That is an elementary school, picture day ponytail.

I'm getting a Sandy and Danny vibe from Grease.

• Love 1

Come on, it's vintage! Or maybe they're trying for a bit of realism and Hook ran out of doubloons so he had to shop at the thrift store. Or that's part of the price Rumple made him pay for his hand.

• Love 3

So I'm sitting over here dying of laughter at all the comments.  It seems we have more problems with wardrobe than we do with the actual show.  Go figure!   I mean I'm still not over Snow's curtain skirt.

I already miss Hook's high collars and my favorite vest by far was the one he wore during the "Crocodile" when Rumple pre-Dark One went to "get" Milah back. 

Beggars can't be choosers, I guess.  I'm not enamored with the pants either.  At least I'm glad they didn't give him shoes that have laces because that would be so very awkward. 

From TVLine:

Question: Before the first half of Once Upon a Time‘s season ends, will we find out who wrote the storybook? —Tom
Ausiello: Actually, no. As cocreator Eddy Kitsis revealed to Matt Mitovich at the New York Comic-Con panel this past weekend, Regina and Henry’s “Operation Mongoose is going to be a rather big story for the year. Whereas we are splitting seasons in half, this is a story that will transcend both halves.”

Zzzzz.

ETA: Oh wait, there was a second one....

Question: If Maleficent is heading back to Once Upon a Time, does that mean we’ll see Aurora and Prince Phillip too? —B.D.
Ausiello: Oh, you’ll see Sleeping Beauty well before Maleficent’s midseason encore. When we recently chatted up Sarah Bolger, she was already heading back to shoot her second episode of the season, but we’ll first see Aurora in Episode 7, now “out of her princess gear” in Storybrooke. As for Phillip, Julian Morris is currently busy with New Girl, to be followed by Amazon’s Hand of God, but Bolger trusts, “I’m sure he will be [back],” in some capacity.

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 2

Hook's shirt isn't paisley, but some different kinds of flowers. Maybe they weren't planning on him taking off his jacket?

I'm interested in his earring. He's back to wearing the dangly one. Why did he have only a temporary change to the stud earring?

I already miss Hook's high collars and my favorite vest by far was the one he wore during the "Crocodile" when Rumple pre-Dark One went to "get" Milah back. 

Ah yes, the black velvet vest of sex. I think it's the same one he's wearing when he first meets Cora and tries to take her heart. Damn, that thing looked good. I once dedicated an entire tumblr post to it.

I'm interested in his earring. He's back to wearing the dangly one. Why did he have only a temporary change to the stud earring?

Glad I wasn't the only obsessed fan to notice that. Knowing these writers, I doubt we'll get any explanation on that one.

delurking to say....

That I nearly spat my coffee out when I saw the Michael Socha photos?  Did anyone else pick out what he was doing to the photographer?

The cast of OUAT seem to be so cool with all the publicity and interest in their show and I think Michael is kinda not....pfffttt...

Going back to my coffee......

I saw an interview with Colin a while ago and he said they had to change Hook's earring because they lost or broke the original one. Maybe they found or fixed it.

Sure, he doesn't change his clothes for 3 seasons, but he changes his earring.

I saw an interview with Colin a while ago and he said they had to change Hook's earring because they lost or broke the original one. Maybe they found or fixed it.

Maybe he was referring to the original one? Because he started out with a clear dangly one and then it turned dark. It's really sad that I notice these things, but actually I thought that might be a plot point and then it wasn't so now I just seem like I'm obsessed or something.

• Love 3
Maybe he was referring to the original one?

Could have been. The interview was a while ago (and why I remember it, I do not know). Maybe he loses a lot of them.

ETA: Found it! (or at least an interview about it). It was the clear one.

Edited by kili

Was it a recent interview? I remember one where he said the clear stone one broke, and that's when he got the dangly earring with the dark stone. But that was a while ago. I thought maybe the stud was a sign of him going evil, but if that was the case, it didn't last long!

ETA sorry, I was posting the same time as you guys. :)

Edited by pezgirl7

LOL. They probably thought he was giving a double peace sign.

I thought that's what he was doing because I was wondering if people really gave peace signs anymore. The only other thing I can think of is "deuce deuce" which is something my sister's husband tried to teach my brother's son to say when he had to go poop. Thank goodness that didn't stick. I guess I'm not up to date with my hand gestures. Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1

I thought that's what he was doing because I was wondering if people really gave peace signs anymore. I guess I'm not up to date with my hand gestures.

I did too at first. But lol no. And he made that sign again in the car. I guess Socha isn't liking the paps. 

Man, that purple shirt is ridiculous! And I too have a fondness for that Black vest of sex. I wonder why we never saw it after S2.

Were these discussed during the several days I avoided the thread due to NYCC episode spoilers?  It looks like Hook somehow gets the hat out from under Rumple.  If Hook is the one that gets sucked in I will cry both sad and happy tears.  Sad because I really don't want "hunt for missing character, pt. 3," but I am down for Emma having to chase Hook for awhile. 

I can see something along the lines of something happening to Hook with Emma's worrying that something will happen to him and his saying nothing would.

So, I'm curious... how is Zoso in 4x04? The flashback involves Rumple using Anna to get the hat from the sorcerer's apprentice. Has Zoso just been in the hat this whole time, and he gets freed? He can't be Yen Sid since, well, he's dead. I just noticed we have two LoTR alumni this season - Brad Dourif as Zoso and John Rhys-Davis as Grand Pabbie.

I can see a Lady and the Tramp parallel incoming - there's casting for a "spaghetti lady" and a "spaghetti man".

Here is the press release for 4x04 (The Apprentice) for anyone else late to the party like me:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/10/once-upon-time-episode-404-apprentice_78.html

Edited by KingOfHearts

STUFFY, ON 15 OCT 2014 - 11:52 AM, SAID:

I thought that's what he was doing because I was wondering if people really gave peace signs anymore. I guess I'm not up to date with my hand gestures.

I think this is where the UK/AUSvsNorth America culture comes into play.  The reverse peace sign is a polite way (if that's possible) of flipping the bird.  It's (in Oz..) basically means, "up yours"..... It like all things, can be used in humour and in frustration..... 

delurking to say....

That I nearly spat my coffee out when I saw the Michael Socha photos?  Did anyone else pick out what he was doing to the photographer?

The cast of OUAT seem to be so cool with all the publicity and interest in their show and I think Michael is kinda not....pfffttt...

Going back to my coffee......

I thought that's what he was doing because I was wondering if people really gave peace signs anymore. The only other thing I can think of is "deuce deuce" which is something my sister's husband tried to teach my brother's son to say when he had to go poop. Thank goodness that didn't stick. I guess I'm not up to date with my hand gestures.

Nearly spat my coffee too, laughing, and quite sure that a lot of people (here) wouldn't get the signal. Grew up with plenty of Brits around so know that sign well enough, and one can see it occasionally on UK shows. But we don't know the situation, so not judging Socha just by this pics.

• Love 1

Goddamn, now that you guys have mentioned it, I need the Lady and the Tramp scene in my life.

I love Elsa's little smiles at Emma in the promo pics. You know, now that I think about it, I'm squeeing as much over the Elsa/Emma friendship as I am over Captain Swan. Elsa is just so genuinely kind and Emma really needs a friend.

I'm sorry I can't quote from this pc, nor link anything...

About Hook's earring: the pictures linked above were of August 27th. I can't recall the dates of episode filming, but it should be around 4x04/4x05? In some pictures taken last week or ten days ago, he has a stud earring. perhaps he changes it later than the clothes.

About the timeline: wasn't it said in Sunday episode that few days have passed, between 4x02 and 4x03? Someone mentioned it in the episode thread too.

In the episode stills, Daddy!Charming looks a little stunned at Emma all dressed-up and looking pretty. He can't be having a "my little girl's all grown up" moment, because that wouldn't be true. I think it's because he's realized for the first time that this thing between Hook and Emma is not one-sided, and that Emma's actually into Hook. He's known for a while that Emma likes having Hook around, and that she trusts him, but she hasn't exactly been explicit in how she feels about him as a "suitor", so to speak. It's funny that Snow doesn't seem surprised in this instance--she's too bust squeeing over her daughter (for once!). It'll be hilarious if he throws in a quip that she should be back before midnight. hehe

So, Aurora is back in 4A? Might it be to set up the arc with Maleficent? So, they could dress her in modern clothes, but kept Marian in her prison garb. How nice.

• Love 1
So, I'm curious... how is Zoso in 4x04? The flashback involves Rumple using Anna to get the hat from the sorcerer's apprentice. Has Zoso just been in the hat this whole time, and he gets freed?

Maybe we get a multi-layered flashback? In 4x01, we saw Elsa's parents die and then they fast-forwarded 5 years to the day before Anna's marriage where the rest of the flashback took place. Maybe this time they'll start with Zoso and fast-forward to the time of Rumple/Anna. Rumple took plenty of students, so maybe this apprentice is one of Zoso's. Or perhaps Rumple is not the first Dark One to want the hat. The apprentice just needs to age slowly and it fits.

I hope David looking worried has something to do with Hook's hand. Someone needs to show some concern over it. But with this show probably not.

Anyway, I have decided to stop worrying about the things I consider that make no sense about the date and just enjoy the cuteness and fluffiness while they last.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 1

Wouldn't Zoso be found at that place where Rumple came back from the "dead" or whatever it is he went to (the place where the Dark One is born, I think).  Come to think of it, the whole vault looking thing sort of looks like where the hat came from.

ETA - I think David has a pretty good idea how Emma feels.  Between the hug and hand holding, her body leaning into his after she nearly died to her yelling at him about how him nearly dying is the reason she wanted him at the sheriff's station...I hope David isn't that dim.

Edited by YaddaYadda

So some fans were hanging out outside the studios yesterday and apparently saw a massive spoiler - although they're not telling right now.

A bunch of journalists are on set and fans are speculating that this means that it's indeed the end of the Frozen arc - 9 episodes, like the original casting call for Elsa said. 

Also, pic of Colin and Jen (and Ginny's hand on Josh's waist) at the studios yesterday.

First of all, I HATE when people do that whole "I saw something big but I can't tell you!" Ugh. I think you are right that it probably has to do with the end of the Frozen arc, but then what's the major spoiler? Perhaps someone saw Maleficent there too? Could they be bringing her in a few episodes before the end to get her established?

• Love 5

I think Zoso is there for the Dark Curse origin story and if it's in this episode then I'm guessing that he tried to steal the hat and the sorcerer or apprentice cursed him. Which is why Rumple is using Anna to get it because it probably has some cheesy clause like only the pure of heart can take it. Or he's using Anna to get to Elsa?

But what's confusing me is that it wasn't a clear cut spoiler.  It was big enough that they won't tell us, but they may be willing to speculate about it in a few episodes.  We also know it was a crazy green screen thing, so it's probably a fairyback or a "meanwhile in the Enchanted Forest."  My current guess is Maleficent talking with someone surprising, or guest cast we weren't expecting.  

Since this was also the week a bunch of press was invited to set, it wouldn't surprise me if this is an episode we some crossover with Frozen and Maleficent (even if she's just a tease at the end).  It would let people write about both arcs and get interviews with all the relevant guest cast members.  I'm also wondering if Ana shows up with Maleficent...it would explain why they won't spoil it now, but might be willing to spoil it in a couple weeks when we know more back story on Will.