Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

I expect the writers will think that this brings them full-circle, with Emma and Regina switching roles and Regina finally achieving her redemption. 

Yep, the writers love full-circle.  Some examples:

- S1, Regina cast Dark Curse, S3, Snow does

- S1, Emma kisses Henry and breaks spell, S3, Regina kisses Henry and breaks spell

- S1, Regina tore baby away from their mother, S4, Snow and Charming tears baby away from their mother

(edited)

Yep, the writers love full-circle.  Some examples:

- S1, Regina cast Dark Curse, S3, Snow does

- S1, Emma kisses Henry and breaks spell, S3, Regina kisses Henry and breaks spell

- S1, Regina tore baby away from their mother, S4, Snow and Charming tears baby away from their mother

I've been trying (honestly, I have.  Really.) to not be to Regina, Regina, Regina  . . ., but all of those circles involve, well, Regina, and seemingly equalizing the field between her and the "hero" characters.

Have they completed any circles with Rumple, or is that something they tend to save for Regina?

Edited by Mari
(edited)

Based on the JMo/Robert filming spoilers from today, I'm guessing it's taking place in some sort of Dark One netherworld, where the two living Dark Ones can communicate. Perhaps this mystery person is a past Dark One who somehow got the DO out of her without dying and will be the key to saving Emma. Or even dead Dark Ones can communicate in this Dark One Private Party Room netherworld.

Or dream sequence.

Edited by Souris
(edited)

I think it's a dream sequence. If the one dreaming is Rumple, that woman can be his mother, or maybe Milah. If the one dreaming is Emma, I have no clue as to who she is, maybe the first Dark One was a woman.

If it's not a dream, then there has been a time jump and Rumple is already awake and in Camelot by the end of the premiere.

Edited by RadioGirl27
Hmm, interesting.  So this will be how they make Rumple central in the quest du jour.  As per usual.

He's definitely the wild card in all of this.  We don't know what he will want once he wakes up.  Does he want his powers back or does he get to live out his AU as a simple man and be content with that?  After centuries of manipulation, he's gotten good at talking out of both sides of his mouth.  After everything that's happened, including him wanting to put Emma in the hat, do Snowing (and Hook to a certain extent) trust him if he says he can help or is he just looking for the dagger so that he can get control of Emma and finish her off?

I know A&E said something along the lines of can't answer whether or not Rumple has magic.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't wake up with magic, but he can "mentor" himself the same way he mentored Cora and Regina.

(edited)

I have no clue as to who she is, maybe the first Dark One was a woman.

Morgan La Faye?

Since we have a new Dark One, is there a new Savior this season?

Kitsis: Sure is.

Horowitz: That’s a great question.

Totally reaching for a reason for it not to be Regina - new would imply someone who hasn't been the Savior already? Maybe? Please?  Really, please?

Edited by Selina K

They ought to make Guinevere the Dark One if that's what they are doing. I never saw her as perfect even in the legends, she'd be interesting as the aggressor in tormenting these two men who love her, leading them to death. I should review my Arthurian legends though, it's been a long time since I caught up. What day is OUATs comic con panel?

(edited)

I wonder if the mystery guest on set today was 'Milah'....?

Now that's an interesting spec. I hadn't even thought of that.

We do know that they're casting Rump's mother, so it could be her. If so, that would mean it's Rumple's dream. Perhaps Emma running up & yelling represents her trying to get through to him, but he's content to be in his dream world right now.

Watt, Once's panel is 10 a.m. PST on Saturday.

Edited by Souris
(edited)

We do know that they're casting Rump's mother, so it could be her.

I would guess she's the most likely person, since it's very rare that we get a guest star on this show who hasn't been announced in the news/media before they come on.

It would be neat if Emma was stuck in a little Dark One universe where all the previous Dark Ones' souls are just chilling and hanging out, and she runs into Rumple and tries to get him to tell her about the Dark One's powers and how to control them. And then the mystery woman could be another previous Dark One before Zoso, perhaps the Black Fairy.

Edit: I just thought of an interesting theory. I doubt the writers would go this route, but maybe the hot seat question about Emma having a split personality will mean that we get to see her in two worlds this year — 1) The Dark One's world that takes place inside her head where she meets up with Rumple and the mystery woman and wears the beige and green dress and is closer to Emma's normal personality, and 2) the real world where she's colder and wears a dominatrix costume. But I doubt the writers could handle an Inside Out-esque plot like that.

Edited by Curio

So, I think I might've figured out this whole new Savior business...Excalibur.  They did a variance of it with a fake Excalibur during season 1 when Snow doubted herself.  I can't imagine the show not going there with the sword even if Arthur is alive and well.

(edited)

I'd be surprised if Mystery Guest is Milah. If they were going to use her in some AU scenario or dream sequence, it would have been in the finale, as AU Hook's nightmare shrew-wife.

I would also be surprised if Rumpel is "awake" in Storybrooke until at least the 5a finale. To have him awake and functioning as a non-magical "blank slate" would require the writers to deal with things like dialog and characterization, and they really don't like doing that. (Plus, they don't like Rumbelle being together any more than the rest of you do.) So I'm guessing he'll be this season's designated Sleeping Beauty in Storybrooke, and this season's Vision!Belle in the Dark Swan dystopian nightmare.

FWIW: One of the spoilers from yesterday said it looked like Robert was dressed in Rumpel's peasant outfit.

Edited by Amerilla
(edited)

I don't think it could be Milah, because the person who reported the "surprise guest" thing said they did not recognize her. Since they were a Colin fansite, I would say they'd recognize Milah.

I don't think Rumple will stay asleep much. If this is Robert's last season, they'll want to use him.

Edited by Serena

Could the mystery guest be Rumple? It would be easy to miss if Robert's acting double was in the scene with them (kind of like how they used Colin's double to film the Jolly scene in 3B). Definitely a dream sequence but if we have Rumple in the peasant outfit, we could also have Rumple in his Gold outfit, kind of a play on one person with two sides to them, which would be similar to what Emma will be dealing with.

I think it's Rump's mom who's also the OG Dark One. It could be a weird quasi "world" where the good part of the person goes to and that's why Rump is in his peasant clothes and why Emma looks normal.

These are both pretty interesting theories. I hadn't put too much thought into it, but if Merlin felt the need to tether the darkness to a person, my initial thought is that Merlin is a huge asshole and he tethered the darkness to someone he really, really didn't like to make them suffer for eternity. So maybe Morgana and Merlin had a thing, they liked practicing magic together, but she broke up with him when he started abusing his magical powers and dabbled into dark magic. Merlin, embarrassed and angry, gets back at her by finding out a way to tether the darkness cloud to a person and forces her to live with the darkness inside her, thus creating the first Dark One and also The Black Fairy.

This would be very cool actually and I remember some speculation or wishful thinking last year about exactly this, Morgana being the Black Fairy and since fairies seem to be eternal (unless killed), then Blue who will be in the first episode of the season makes sense.  I tend to forget about Blue because she's barely on, but she's so completely relevant and because after being released from the hat, Regina asked her about both the Sorcerer and the Author and she's the one who freed the Apprentice from the hat.

Also regarding Merlin, his casting call mentioned something about how he made a lot of sacrifices.  What were those sacrifices remains to be seen, but I'm assuming it has to do with love, family and so on.

(edited)

So maybe Morgana and Merlin had a thing, they liked practicing magic together, but she broke up with him when he started abusing his magical powers and dabbled into dark magic. Merlin, embarrassed and angry, gets back at her by finding out a way to tether the darkness cloud to a person and forces her to live with the darkness inside her, thus creating the first Dark One and also The Black Fairy.

Sounds a lot like Jafar and Amara from Wonderland. They were dark magical partners in crime, until Jafar decided to turn her into a snake staff.

Edited by KingOfHearts

Sounds a lot like Jafar and Amara from Wonderland. They were dark magical partners in crime, until Jafar decided to turn her into a snake staff.

You know, I actually watched the entire Wonderland series and completely forgot about that plot line. But now that I know this plot already exists in the Once universe, it'll be that much more likely the writers will repeat themselves and use it again.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Merlin actor is MUCH younger than I expected! Huh. That's gonna take some getting used to. He was Michaela's fiance on How to Get Away With Murder.

Lot of good-looking people in this arc.

Edited by Souris
(edited)

Merlin seems really young. I don't know about this...

The Merlin actor is MUCH younger than I expected! Huh

That's what I was going to say! I was expecting someone that looked closer to Ernie Hudson, James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman.

Percival isn't that well-known in western culture, is he? I'm quite surprised they would include him.

Edited by KingOfHearts
Percival isn't that well-known in western culture, is he? I'm quite surprised they would include him.

But how many of them are super known?  I mean unless someone has read the stories, then Lancelot is the knight everyone is familiar with.

Merlin being young, I also thought they'd go with someone much older.  Before the casting call, I thought they would go with Terri O'Quinn because the Lost connection.  It's an interesting choice for sure.

In any case, and on a very shallow note, they're all very good looking, they will all have British accents which totally floats my boat, so eh!  Let's wait and see what happens.

• Love 1

I had the same thoughts, they all look pretty young. I was imagining older people with some gravitas, especially after hearing Merlin's voice in an earlier episode. Maybe there will be an older version of Merlin later on? Maybe this younger Merlin is for flashbacks?

(edited)

This casting news do nothing to interest me. 

Yeah, it's pretty hard to get excited over new characters we've never heard of before on the show. The more guest stars Once brings on, the more indifferent I become to them. (Unless they have actual ties to our main characters and have been referenced before, like seeing Emma's Swan family would be exciting or meeting Davy Jones.)

Didn't the casting notice ask for a Merlin in his 40s, or was that just wishful thinking on my part?

The casting call said a "Brit in his early 30s to early 40s." So they just went with the very low end of that spectrum. A lot of the comments remind me of when they cast Colin as Hook and everyone went, "Oh, he's too young!" But that turned out okay, so I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: Wow, I just looked it up and Knight is apparently 25. He must have really impressed the casting people.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

This could be very interesting if the arc is longer than 11 episodes.  I mean we're going to have the obligatory backstory for Merlin, probably Arthur though I think they can lump Arthur, Lancelot and Gwen in one episode.  I wish they would do backstories like they do them on OITNB.  You learn tons about supporting characters, but they don't eat up the episode, life goes on during that time.

Camelot has been very much present in the Once mythology, so maybe they're trying to actually build something that's coherent for a change?  I know exactly what I said btw.

(edited)

Fans would never learn, wouldn't they? If Lancelot is from Snow's time, Arthur and Gwen have to be from her time too, so I can't see how they can be Hook's parents.

Anyway, I don't know if these actors are good or bad (the only one I've seen in something is the guy playing Merlin in HTGAWM and I don't remember him), but the truth is that A&E don't know how to handle a large cast, so every new guest and recurring character they add takes screen time away from the regular characters not named Emma, Regina or Rumple, and I prefer to see a flashback about Hook's childhood or Charming's father than three or four about some characters we are never going to see again.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 1

Someone posted something on tumblr about Arthur and Gwen now looking like they could both be the parents of Killian and Liam.

I can see the resemblance between Arthur and Hook's actors, but not Gwen's. I always imagined Hook's mom to look more like Liam (Jones, not Garrigan) in my head with the light brown curly hair, because otherwise Liam and Killian don't look a lot alike.

What's with Tumblr's obsessions with Hook's parents?

Probably because he's the only lead character (excluding Robin) where we've never met his parents on screen. (We've even met Zelena's parents...) But the Arthur+Gwen=Hook theory doesn't make sense.

• Love 2

Not only that, but I don't think he's ever even mentioned his mother, so it's all a mystery, and fans like to speculate. :) I really hope his parents are dead though, hah. It would just be weird for them to still be alive, and be the same age as him. I guess he would have that in common with Emma though. It's possible all the Camelot characters, besides Merlin, could be long dead, and will only appear in flashbacks, but I can't really see the show doing that.

(edited)

From the ew article, about the identity of Lily's father:

It’s not going to be in the first five [episodes], but that’s not to say that it might not be in the first five.

Classic Eddy. :-p

I'm looking forward to cutesy cast interactions from SDCC. As far as the spilers go, I doubt we'll be getting much, other than the sneak preview. 

Edited by Rumsy4

Okay, so it's possibly the usual Eddie delirium, but maybe he means that a character that will appear in the first 5 (*cough* Arthur *cough*) wil be Lily's dad but won't be revealed to be for a while?

• Love 1
(edited)
Since you scaled back on Michael Socha’s role as a series regular, does that mean we won’t be getting the story of him and Anastasia this year?

HOROWITZ: We hope to get to it. We hope to see Michael more. He’s not a regular anymore, but he’s still a part of the Once Upon a Time family and universe. We’d love to get to it.

In other words, "Haven't we proven already we don't give a crap about Will's story? Stop asking us already!"

Is Lily’s father somebody we might recognize?

HOROWITZ: We don’t want to comment on his identity right now. It is a thread we left open for a reason. We look forward to exploring it.

He just means that not even they know who it is yet.

When Rumple became the Dark One, he didn’t suddenly disappear, so are we going to get an explanation of where Emma has gone off to?

HOROWITZ: Absolutely.

KITSIS: We’re going to show you that. I’d say the main difference is that Rumple killed the previous Dark One, so he immediately became one. What we saw was the Apprentice take the darkness out of Rumple and then it was uncontrollable, so it’s a whole different way of receiving the Dark One curse.

This leads me to believe that Emma went to the Dark One's Vault, where the Dark One was originally created. It seems that the curse line was "reset" when the darkness chose another victim on its own. Could the Vault actually be that dream world they shot?

You do have Rumple’s mother coming in. Is there anything you can tell us about her or what side she brings out in Rumple?

KITSIS: I would say people will see very clearly in the premiere what we intend to do with that character.

This further solidifies the speculation that Rumple's mother was the guest star being filmed.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1