Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, tv echo said:

And yet I'm sure that some will still blame Olicity for this season's falling ratings. If this season was so great, ratings would be slowly climbing, not slowly dropping.

Haha, they already are. Viewers were apparently driven away by Olicity in s3 and s4. It's pretty funny actually. Like, yeah. Fans sat through 2 seasons of Olicity but as soon as they were no longer an issue, they finally had enough! LOL.

There's always some way to spin it.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

And yet I'm sure that some will still blame Olicity for this season's falling ratings. If this season was so great, ratings would be slowly climbing, not slowly dropping.

Oh yeah totally. That and the fact that Laurel came back as Black Siren instead of Black Canary are the main reasons ratings dropped for 5b after such a great 5a. Totally.

This is from a random Laurel fan regarding the ratings in episodes ever since 5x10:

There is an explanation. The plot for 5.10 was leaked on the internet weeks before the episode and it became apparent that Arrow was trying to lure back Laurel fans for an episode in which they would introduce her replacement (and in which freaking Felicity knocks out Black Siren). Hence a number of viewers opted not to watch 5.10 at all in protest. The introduction of a new Canary has done more harm than good, really.

Like,do they actually hear(see) what they say(type)?

18 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

This is from a random Laurel fan regarding the ratings in episodes ever since 5x10:

There is an explanation. The plot for 5.10 was leaked on the internet weeks before the episode and it became apparent that Arrow was trying to lure back Laurel fans for an episode in which they would introduce her replacement (and in which freaking Felicity knocks out Black Siren). Hence a number of viewers opted not to watch 5.10 at all in protest. The introduction of a new Canary has done more harm than good, really.

"That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!"

I have a hard time believing that spoilers and previews that are released solely online have that strong of an effect on the ratings. No matter how much wishful thinking that LL fan (or anyone else for that matter) does, the heavy majority of viewers don't process online information into their viewing habits. So, with the exception of weekly broadcast previews, things that come out before the episode airs just don't make that kind of impact, and therefore can't take that kind of credit.

Edited by RandomMe
ugh quote boxes for days
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

He didn't write that - he wrote that they were "really good," which is damning with faint praise coming from him. His go to's are "excellent, superb, the best," so I suspect he was aware these were stinkers but was probably trying to drum up some Feb. sweeps excitement. 

So, 515 might actually be decent? Silver linings.

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

If they can blame the Olicity in s3&4 for the drop after they broke up they can spin it as the blame for anything. 

17 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Going by this board, people are watching Lethal Weapon live instead (and maybe checking out reviews before they decide to watch Arrow).

This is what I've been doing all season. I've only watched the premier live and last nights episode (for Rutina & she was barely in it).

6 hours ago, shadow2008 said:

These ratings were to be expected after last week's clunker of an episode and considering that ratings generally drop in spring, Arrow may see 0,4's before the season is over. Maybe The CW will move the show to Fridays come next fall. 

They could drop to 0.4 that would not surprise me. But I think they are a season or so away from Friday Slot. The ratings are bad, but they are still doing better than other CW shows.  I think TPTB will tinker with s6, hopefully in a way that pulls back audience members like me who would come back under certain terms. And then if it fails to deliver - a Fri slot and a final s7 could be where it ends.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Haha, they already are. Viewers were apparently driven away by Olicity in s3 and s4. It's pretty funny actually. Like, yeah. Fans sat through 2 seasons of Olicity but as soon as they were no longer an issue, they finally had enough! LOL.

Spin is always going on.

I will say that Olicity not being together is probably more likely keeping people away... People stuck through s3 & s4, but we had Olicity to get us through, now we don't even have that.

• Love 11
49 minutes ago, Belinea said:

So, I guess people are still watching but they are no longer watching live.

In addition to the loss in live viewers, Arrow has also seen a decline in Live + 7 since the beginning of the season. Here are the numbers in more detail:

5x01: 1.3 and 3.069 million viewers

5x02: 1.3 and 3.166 million viewers

5x03: 1.2 and 2.941 million viewers

5x04: 1.2 and 2.958 million viewers

5x05: 1.1 and 2.646 million viewers

5x06: 2.952 million viewers (no demo data available, but it was probably a 1.1 based on the top 25 in %-gains that week)

5x07: 1.2 (no total viewer numbers available)

5x08: 2.0 and 5.344 million viewers

5x09: 1.2 and 3.073 million viewers

5x10: 1.1 and 2.815 million viewers

5x11: 1.1 and 2.990 million viewers

5x12: 1.1 and 2.731 million viewers

For comparison's sake, Arrow's season 4 finale pulled a 1.4 and 3.313 million viewers. 

• Love 1

I happened to look at the ratings on tvbythenumbers today, and was shocked that this had hit a .5. 

I personally haven't even started watching this season. I can say that I was disgusted by the drop in the quality of the writing in Season 3 and 4, with the ridiculousness of the nuclear bomb plot last year, as well as them pretty much wasting Neal McDonough, being the final straw. The rot has spread over to the Flash as well. At this point, I'm just refusing to take on any new show that's produced by this same team. I never thought that Supergirl and LoT would be the two shows I'm enjoying the most. Admittedly, I'm only a couple of episodes into each of these seasons, so hopefully they won't get worse as well.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Rina99 said:

I happened to look at the ratings on tvbythenumbers today, and was shocked that this had hit a .5. 

I personally haven't even started watching this season. I can say that I was disgusted by the drop in the quality of the writing in Season 3 and 4, with the ridiculousness of the nuclear bomb plot last year, as well as them pretty much wasting Neal McDonough, being the final straw. The rot has spread over to the Flash as well. At this point, I'm just refusing to take on any new show that's produced by this same team. I never thought that Supergirl and LoT would be the two shows I'm enjoying the most. Admittedly, I'm only a couple of episodes into each of these seasons, so hopefully they won't get worse as well.

Same here. Season 2 had it's fair share of writing mistakes as well (e.g. Slade's motivation, Shado's death), but the overall story was still compelling enough for me to look past it. IMO, Arrow's writing completely deteriorated starting with Sara's death in the season 3 premiere. I stuck it out for 1 and a half more years after that, but the scene where Felicity regains movement in her legs just in time to walk out on Oliver in dramatic fashion, broke me. That was the point when I initially stopped watching the show and judging from everything I've seen and heard, the writers have been suffering from foot-in-mouth disease ever since (e.g. the nature of Laurel's death, the ridiculous season 4 finale, taunting the Laurel fans in the same episode where they introduce yet another Black Canary, etc.). I'm back now for Lexa Doig's Talia, but I'm already starting to regret it. The writing just isn't getting any better and it's obvious the writers have run out of fresh ideas. You can only beat the same drum for so long before people start to tune out en masse. 

• Love 6

So Arrow was #5 again.  Getting to be a pattern. SPN came in (in preliminary numbers) at 0.6 in the demo, same as LoT, and just slightly under in total viewers.

In other news, Riverdale dropped to a 0.3 and below 1 million viewers, so its renewal may not be so assured.

Edited by Starfish35
17 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Going by this board, people are watching Lethal Weapon live instead (and maybe checking out reviews before they decide to watch Arrow).

I'm a former Arrow viewer (how did it get to this??) who doesn't watch anything at all on Wednesday nights.  I stopped watching in protest of Baby Sara's erasure and the treatment of women on the show and BTS (especially the nonsense toward the female fans in the fall). If it hadn't been for those things, I'd still be a loyal viewer--I've sat through its nonsensical storylines before and remained enthusiastic and hopeful each Wednesday.

Despite that, I'm as sad to see the ratings tank as I would be to see a former friend fall on hard times. 

17 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm a former Arrow viewer (how did it get to this??) who doesn't watch anything at all on Wednesday nights.  I stopped watching in protest of Baby Sara's erasure and the treatment of women on the show and BTS (especially the nonsense toward the female fans in the fall). If it hadn't been for those things, I'd still be a loyal viewer--I've sat through its nonsensical storylines before and remained enthusiastic and hopeful each Wednesday.

Despite that, I'm as sad to see the ratings tank as I would be to see a former friend fall on hard times. 

• Love 2
On 2/23/2017 at 3:55 PM, Angel12d said:

If Arrow ratings had gone up this season, would anyone be giving credit to S3 and S4?  No, of course not.  They'd be crediting the current season of the show.  

But because ratings have gone down, instead of blaming the current season, they're blaming the previous two seasons. Great logic.

Ratings going down over the course of a season means that people who were watching earlier in this same season have dropped out... http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/arrow-tv-show-cw-season-five-ratings/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I think the Chase reveal will kick off some interest in the next episode.  The kidnapping not so much.

Well, let's see if the break will help them. I don't think that the 'cliffhanger' is so good that people want to come back for more.

• Love 2

Though i must say that the viewing levels were down a bit.

Viewing levels: 
8pm - 24.7
8.30pm - 26.5
9pm - 27.5
9.30pm - 28.0
10pm - 27.1
10.30pm - 25.2 

This was on Tuesday

18-49 viewing levels (28.2)
8 ............. 26.2
8:30 ........ 28.3
9 ............. 30.0
9:30 ........ 30.6
10 ........... 28.6
10:30 ...... 25.8

Monday:

18-49 viewing levels (28.2)
8 ............. 27.1
8:30 ........ 29.3
9 ............. 29.7
9:30 ........ 29.5
10 ........... 27.6
10:30 ...... 25.8

3 hours ago, wonderwall said:

This is a shoe eating level promise. Noted. 

Not a promise. Actual observation of ratings and prediction based on previous years around this time but also on this season's drop rate. Arrow is really close to that 0.5 for weeks now(even hit it once thanks to the gun violence episode) and it will soon hit it again for good because that's how it is. Its spring. Weather will be warmer soon.

It might even adjust down for 5x15 considering how low unrounded demo is. But probably not.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's hard to predict ratings even based on what happened historically, because it varies season to season. In seasons 1 and 2, the episode after the post-sweeps break returned with identical/higher ratings than the pre-break episode. In seasons 3/4, they came back lower, but then in the subsequent episode recovered a good chunk of that drop.

Capture.JPG.2c17e4a55e0290e4cb77e4040de0fa7d.JPG

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

Not a promise. Actual observation of ratings and prediction based on previous years around this time but also on this season's drop rate. Arrow is really close to that 0.5 for weeks now(even hit it once thanks to the gun violence episode) and it will soon hit it again for good because that's how it is. Its spring. Weather will be warmer soon.

It might even adjust down for 5x15 considering how low unrounded demo is. But probably not.

Well... You know the shoe eating rule. 100% guarantees on something happening means that you have to risk eating a shoe. No one is exempt. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Well... You know the shoe eating rule. 100% guarantees on something happening means that you have to risk eating a shoe. No one is exempt. 

I 100% garuntee that the Rating will .... continue to be debated as to the reasons why they are the way they are with some fandom opinion bias thrown in while being the Arrow Crew will be in denial over the ratings when they suck and talk them up when they are better (even though they still probably suck) and that someone in fandom is going to tweet of Facebook on Stephens wall crowing about the ratings next time they get 0.5 or lower. 

I laugh in the face of shoe eating  threats ;)

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Wait, did we move on past hat eating? I did not get that memo, dammit!

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I really think I must object.  Hat eating was one thing, but shoe eating is just a bridge too far.  What are we here, savages?

:)

I dunno. A little salt, a little garlic, slap it on the grill. Kind of like shoe jerky

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I really think I must object.  Hat eating was one thing, but shoe eating is just a bridge too far.  What are we here, savages?

:)

We may be savages, but at least we stick to our word 

• Love 2