Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Haven't they also seen a portional drop in post episode views as well? The Live plus seems down.

Yes but, what really matters to WB/CBS is post views (Amazon, iTunes, DVD, international sales, etc). I would assume that a drop in live viewers and a similar drop Live+7 viewers indicate a drop in Amazon and ITunes sales as well. However,  i have no data to prove it.

Ultimately what will happen from this ratings drop is the CW will cut back what they pay for the show. The WB will step in and subsidize the show because it's profitable to them.  The only time someone will step in is if Arrow starts costing everyone money. However,  that doesn't mean they'll "fix" the show the way you want. Network/Studio influence could be to double down on masks and action and lack of romance, etc.

• Love 6

Wow, SPN scored a 0.7/1.824 last night.  Only posting here because Arrow/SPN/Supergirl were the only new Big 5 shows this week and both SPN and Supergirl saw a rise in demos/viewers, while Arrow remained stationary.

Although looking at the sked, Riverdale dropped to 0.4, which could mean an SPN adjustment down and Riverdale adjustment up in the finals. But, if not it's interesting to me that the others shows got a bump.

ETA: Arrow finals

Final-Bcast-2017-Feb-15.WED_.png

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

Looking at the network numbers on TV Series Finale, it looks like Arrow has had the fourth largest year-to-year drop on the network behind only Supergirl (switched networks), and the Friday night shows (CEG, Reign).  

Jane the Virgin is the only show to register a slight gain.  SPN has had the smallest drop, followed by LoT.  

Going forward, I agree that they'll be seeing 0.5s by the end of the season.  Problem is, that likely means 0.4s by the end of season six.  They'd probably only get one last season after that.  That's my thoughts on it anyway.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

If Arrow retains the 0.6 throughout the rest of the year then the Y2Y drop would end up being around 28%. 

Historically the demo average for 16-23 is usually 2 tenths below episodes 1-9. S1 3ths drop, S3 1th drop, S2/S4 both had 2ths drop.

It's possible that Arrow has hit it's bottom but, i think it's also possible that Arrow will start getting some 0.5s after 515 break.

It's definitely gonna hit that 0.5 towards spring. It almost dropped to it twice in previous weeks. 

I honestly feel really bad for the actors who give it their all and do their best to elevate the material they're given. This makes me even more upset about Guggenheim's sheer incompetence and the network's inability to see what's good for this show and what isn't.

• Love 13

This may end up being a down week for all their shows, so I don't know how much is about quality, but I can't say that the quality warrants better ratings. Surely episodes where longtime audience favorites are upbraided for not being nice enough to Oliver's superstar journalist honey won't do much to help. I sometimes wonder if they believe characters like Tinah or Susan are the better fit for the male demo they crave (as they both fit the more traditional comic book role for female characters in angsty man books). These ratings would suggest that's a 'no.'

• Love 19

These ratings were to be expected after last week's clunker of an episode and considering that ratings generally drop in spring, Arrow may see 0,4's before the season is over. Maybe The CW will move the show to Fridays come next fall. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, shadow2008 said:

These ratings were to be expected after last week's clunker of an episode and considering that ratings generally drop in spring, Arrow may see 0,4's before the season is over. Maybe The CW will move the show to Fridays come next fall. 

I would guess they will push it to the 9 PM hour first before moving  it to Fridays. There are more serious candidates for Fridays. 

• Love 1

TV Ratings Wednesday: ‘Arrow’ hits series low, ‘Blindspot’ ties its low
RICK PORTER  FEBRUARY 23, 2017
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-wednesday-feb-22-2017/

“Arrow” scored a series low in adults 18-49 with a 0.5 for The CW, down a tenth from last week. The show has already been renewed, so it’s perhaps not a major concern, but low is low. NBC’s “Blindspot” (0.8) tied its low, set last week — that’s the wrong direction for a bubble show to be heading.

• Love 1

Arrow .............................. 0.535 ... (0.558 ... 0.511)
The 100 .......................... 0.352 ... (0.385 ... 0.318)

The 100 is most likely adjusting down to a 0.3, Arrow staying at a 0.5 

Edited by Velocity23
1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

Yep. The actors don't deserve this, but the writers and producers absolutely deserve it.

Well, you reap what you sow. Maybe just maybe you should figure out a way to tell stories that people want to see instead of stories you think are awesome. If you intent to tell a story that makes sense after 23 episodes you need to give people a reason to come back. Obviously they cannot find one. Also, maybe just maybe only playing the comic angle isn't what the general audience wants to see. Regardless of the fact that some scream 'best season evaaa..." Ratingwise this isn't good news, nobody should consider this a success. They basically lost half their audience... 

• Love 10

The actors aren't responsible for the confusing, ineffective writing, but I'm going to blame SA a teeny bit for whatever it is he's doing this season as Oliver. Yes, the writing is making him look and act like a maroon, but his acting isn't letting me connect with Oliver at all

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Not really. It's a sweet smell of Arrow's ratings new lows.

Just means that they gonna push till 150 episodes. S6 + 12-16 episodes in s7 is my current guess.

On the other hand i expect Flash to repeat at least Smallville in the duration the show will be on. 

• Love 1

Stephen tweets how 5-12, 5-13 and 5-14 are the best episodes then disappears off of social media. I am laughing so hard right now. The questions he gets at the next con should be interesting...I hope the first one is "why is Oliver Queen being written as a tool this season?"

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

The actors aren't responsible for the confusing, ineffective writing, but I'm going to blame SA a teeny bit for whatever it is he's doing this season as Oliver. Yes, the writing is making him look and act like a maroon, but his acting isn't letting me connect with Oliver at all

Same. Also because of his "I'm protecting my character in a way I didn't before" nonsense and how he said this was the show everyone wanted. Clearly, it's not. I know he's not responsible for the writing but I still side eye him for that tbh.

Plus robot!Oliver is doing him/the show no favors.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Stephen tweets how 5-12, 5-13 and 5-14 are the best episodes then disappears off of social media.

He didn't write that - he wrote that they were "really good," which is damning with faint praise coming from him. His go to's are "excellent, superb, the best," so I suspect he was aware these were stinkers but was probably trying to drum up some Feb. sweeps excitement. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Cleanqueen said:

Stephen tweets how 5-12, 5-13 and 5-14 are the best episodes then disappears off of social media.

In a way I feel bad for him. I think he really loves the show but he is also just an employee so he has to follow the rules. I imagine he has a bigger input than some actors but I doubt it is all that much in the end. He tries and gets people complaining all the time. But then again, the way the promotion went this season, also coming from him, wasn't all that successful. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Just means that they gonna push till 150 episodes. S6 + 12-16 episodes in s7 is my current guess.

On the other hand i expect Flash to repeat at least Smallville in the duration the show will be on. 

I fully expect the show to go 7 seasons. Unless ratings go full blast low, i wouldn't be surprised if they just mirrored TVD to a t. The crossover appeal will probably be a major saving grace. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

I fully expect the show to go 7 seasons. Unless ratings go full blast low, i wouldn't be surprised if they just mirrored TVD to a t. The crossover appeal will probably be a major saving grace. 

I prefer these kind of shows to end sooner than later, because the EPs are just gonna try to find new ways to prolong the manpain and angsty melodrama to get it going. Especially on shows like Flash, Arrow, TVD. Shows like LOT and SPN can go on much longer. But LOT just doesn't have the longevity and pull like SPN. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

What? More masks didn't increase ratings? I'm shocked - shocked, I tell you.

5X13 really brought the inevitable 0.5 sooner than expected. MG always doing things right.

Edited by theOAfc
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

I prefer these kind of shows to end sooner than later, because the EPs are just gonna try to find new ways to prolong the manpain and angsty melodrama to get it going. Especially on shows like Flash, Arrow, TVD. Shows like LOT and SPN can go on much longer. But LOT just doesn't have the longevity and pull like SPN. 

Hopefully Amell has the willpower like Nina Dobrev and SMG did to walk away when their contracts were up.

I think the big question is what happens next week. This week all of the DC shows are down. Next week do they all rebound? Does everyone but Arrow rebound? Is it a mix?

I think that IF Arrow goes into break at 0.5 then they'll hit 0.4 by end of S5. If Arrow rebounds, I think it won't hit 0.4 this season.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Does everyone but Arrow rebound? Is it a mix?

I personally think next week arrow will go up,mainly because its too close to 0.6 and its more possible that all the DC shows will go up . Im more curious about after the mini hiatus.

• Love 2

The promo is slightly more exciting then they have been in a whike with the limo crash and the stakes of Oliver being hurt, plus the impeachment stuff so it coukd rebound a little but Im not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

It's funny since I've all I heard from comic fans how great Arrow is this season. I guess they are the only ones that are enjoying it. 

And yet I'm sure that some will still blame Olicity for this season's falling ratings. If this season was so great, ratings would be slowly climbing, not slowly dropping.

• Love 3