Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, theOAfc said:

Wouldnt it be something good if it doesnt last that long? Shows shouldnt be dragged and milked that way.

Shows should probably never overstay their welcome. I was just saying 200 episodes because SA said something to that extent at the festival.

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 1

I don't know, if Arrow was the only show experiencing decreases then I can blame this on producers or PR being non existent but the whole network is experiencing decreases and I think the flash which started off at 1.3 is experiencing a really high decrease for this season. So this isnt just an Arrow problem but an overall CW problem.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, theOAfc said:

Wouldnt it be something good if it doesnt last that long? Shows shouldnt be dragged and milked that way.

The best example of a show that lasted exactly how it needed is Breaking Bad.

IMO if there are still stories to tell, and the actors are still engaged they could still go. 

IMO Breaking Bad had a limited shelf life because of the nature of the story being told. It couldn't have gone for 10 seasons. Once the Green Arrow becomes the Green Arrow they can write new stories, with new villains. IMO

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Supernatural would be moved to Friday before Arrow

Supernatural actually gets better ratings then Arrow (right now) but, I agree SPN would go to Fridays (and thrive, screw you Dawn O!) Before Arrow.

Honestly, LoT is only doing better than Arrow because it's following The Flash, it's also totally dependent upon The Flash.

As for shows that would get moved to Fridays before Arrow? JTV, The 100, Riverdale, IZombie, and SPN.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Honestly, LoT is only doing better than Arrow because it's following The Flash, it's also totally dependent upon The Flash.

But only for half this season - how was it doing before?

11 hours ago, catrox14 said:

IMO if there are still stories to tell, and the actors are still engaged they could still go. 

IMO Breaking Bad had a limited shelf life because of the nature of the story being told. It couldn't have gone for 10 seasons. Once the Green Arrow becomes the Green Arrow they can write new stories, with new villains. IMO

I think it depends on how the writers decide to approach the show..because if it's the story of how Oliver Queen went from spoiled kid to hero then I'd say it's better if they end it when it comes to its natural end instead of regressing him every year to drag the show for more years..if instead they allow him to complete his journey and then focus on different kind of obstacles instead of repeating old ones yes..

I can see it being more difficult than with shows like Criminal Minds for example that have a formula that can go on forever in theory without issues though.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Not that different..around 0.6 and 1.8 M. But it's true that it seems to gain or lose viewers when the Flash does.

Going by spotted ratings. LoT averaged .70/2.02 for it's Thursday airings. Arrow averaged 0.74/2.04

In head to head matches ups Arrow ranked higher than LoT about 60% of the time. It's more than likely that pattern would have continued IF LoT remained on Thursdays. Having Flash as it's lead in has helped boost it's ratings and the show is very clearly dependent upon Flash. When Flash hit a series low, LoT hit it's series low. When Flash bounces back (this week) LoT bounces back.

20 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Move along. Nothing to see here. 

I know you likely removed a post. But seriously that could be an actually post about the ratings this season. :)

I do feel bad for the actors, esp JS & SA, because that was some phenomenal acting. But you can't write crappy episodes, or dangle people along forever and expect people to tune in on your monumental (if it is even that) episode, after delivering duds & blanks for a lot of the season.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, theOAfc said:

The best example of a show that lasted exactly how it needed is Breaking Bad.

Breaking bad is in a whole other league of shows. Comparing its run to Arrow is like comparing apples and oranges. Totally agree that some shows are better not to be dragged out. Some showrunners & networks are really good at knowing how long a series should go.

I truly do not believe Arrow's longevity will be connected to ratings. I think it will have to do a lot with how the success of the Flarrowverse is doing as a whole. And like all CW shows, how they are brokering international deals and making profits on the show outside of ratings will also be critical. The CW has a complex algorithm and formula for renewal that will likely remove Arrow from ratings only cancellation. Now if Arrow was on another network, I think the ratings would have more impact on its vitality,but that is not the case with the CW. I think the ratings will help guide some storytelling choices, perhaps seats in the writers room and definitely budget. But overall, the ratings of Arrow will not mark it for cancellation.

And I also think it will have to do with how long SA is willing to commit to being on Arrow. Without him, I think the show will fold. I do think they could spin-off another show with remnants of Team Arrow. Heck, they could even do GA the next generation if they age up William or another TA offspring. But I think Arrow as we know it, will be done when SA is wants to hang up the suit. It might end sooner than SA is willing to let it go. But if TPTB want it for X amount of seasons and SA only wants to commit to Y amount than it will likely end on Y seasons, since a new show would be easier to sell than a complete reboot.

• Love 4

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why, at the end of season three, Guggenheim and whoever, begged the audience and pleaded with them to come back next season, because Arrow was coming back as a PSA? I wasn't watching then. I'm wondering if we'll get one at the end of this season as well, because as much as I loathed how they used Ra's and that whole ridonkulous storyline, this season, by comparison, has been much, much worse.  And if this is the wrong thread to ask this, Mods, please move to the appropriate thread.  Thank you.

6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why, at the end of season three, Guggenheim and whoever, begged the audience and pleaded with them to come back next season, because Arrow was coming back as a PSA? I wasn't watching then. I'm wondering if we'll get one at the end of this season as well, because as much as I loathed how they used Ra's and that whole ridonkulous storyline, this season, by comparison, has been much, much worse.  And if this is the wrong thread to ask this, Mods, please move to the appropriate thread.  Thank you.

Because Oliver hung up the hood and left town. I think they were worried that the audience would think that was a series finale. 

ETA: I didn't know they did that for every show that season, so maybe not!

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That was a CW initiative I believe, because all the other CW shows that aired finales that season I believe had showrunners making pleas to watch them next season. MG's just sounded more desperate than the others.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Are you talking about the video that played after the finale? I think that was just a thing the CW did for every one of its shows that year, IIRC. Or are you talking about post-season interviews? 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Are you talking about the video that played after the finale? I think that was just a thing the CW did for every one of its shows that year, IIRC. Or are you talking about post-season interviews? 

The video that played after the season finale, when Oliver and Felicity drove off into the sunset. It just smacked of desperation.

And thanks @apinknightmare, @kismet, and @insomniadreams88 for answering so quickly!!

CW directive my ass. I'm sure it was, but it was so lame. Even during some of the horrid season enders of Smallville, I and others who watched knew they were season finales, because that's how they were presented, and if it were a SERIES finale, it would have been all over the internets. Why the suits, network, anyone and everyone continue to treat viewers like ignorant clueless maroons, is beyond my understanding. Probably because they are and think we are too.

• Love 1

It WAS a CW directive since every show did it an NO MG didn't soundmore desperate then everyone else. 

WTF would MG be desperate to have fans come back in S4 after Arrow end S3 with a ratings INCREASE from S2 and just under their S1 average.

• Love 6

Well there is the group of fans that don't like olicity, felicity and romance. Happy endings aren't everyone's thing. It didn't end on a high note for every fan. And the fact it was a perfect series finale. Just because I loved it didn't mean everyone did. 

It personally sounded more desperate to me than the others. But thats just my opinion, you're free to feel whatever you want about it.

• Love 1

Looks like last week's ratings low was a negative outlier after all - similar to LOT's 1.339 million viewers 2 weeks ago. As much as fans seem to love the flashback-heavy episodes, they tend to do poorly in the ratings. I remember season 2's flashback special did very poorly as well and was a series low at the time. 

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Well females came back for this episode. 

I wonder if they skipped last week because of the violent promos....

Makes me wonder what the audience numbers would be if they didn't make promos for shows. If people just watched them based on the week before. I for one very rarely tune in or tune out as a result of weekly promos. So they are inconsequential to me, but other people might be more invested in watching them to decide what to watch. If I like a show I'll watch an episode, even if I dislike the promo. I only use promos to find new shows.

Live+7 ratings for episode 5x16 are 2.387 million total viewers and 0.9 in A18-49. Unfortunately, Nielsen never released the numbers for week 24 (ep 5x15), but Arrow is slightly down from it's last data point (5x14 had 2.457 million viewers overall). 

Edited by strikera0

One of my friends, who I would describe as a general audience viewer, doesn't read spoilers or see promo pics and barely pays attention to the tv promos. She also does not ship and has watched Arrow since S1. She just told me this weekend that she's about ready to give up on Arrow because she's sick and tired of Oliver once again going, "I'm a monster! Everyone stay away from me!"  She thinks that after four years, he should've evolved instead of going through the same thing every year.  So her viewing decision is based on watching past episodes.

• Love 11

I think it depends on how the next episodes go and whether they can generate buzz.  The show has improved a lot over the past few episodes since ChaseJS began his climb to villainy so maybe they can woo some casual viewers back.  Hearing that

Spoiler

Olicity is in the cards again

may also bring some viewers back.

Instead of Marc sliding in DMs and spamming Tumblr, Arrow PR/marketing should focus on mainstream mags like TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly. Drop a sizzle reel and push Olicity hard and maybe, just maybe, Arrow will see a 0.6, maybe even a 0.7 again. 

I seriously don't think anything will save the ratings now. Not Olicity, not Laurel coming back, nothing. I think the 0.5-0.6 range is where it's at now. If they're lucky they might see a 0.7 in the finale because of all the characters coming back but I doubt it'll be higher.

• Love 9