Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was kind of annoyed with that actually - Alex said it was his job, but Richmond clearly said he volunteered. I work in a kids' hospital - they don't pay people to do that. There are tons of people who are happy to do it for free.

Ah, I may have mis-heard as I was getting dinner on the table. I thought it was odd that it was a paid position.

Wasn't there a movie called "The First Monday In October" about the first day of the first woman to be on the Supreme Court?  That TS surprised me on today's game.

That's how I got the answer.

• Love 3

Wasn't there a movie called "The First Monday In October" about the first day of the first woman to be on the Supreme Court?  That TS surprised me on today's game.

Yes, that's how I always remember when the Supreme Court session begins.

I didn't get FJ. I'm kicking myself. I was trying to remember the title "Roger and Me," so I got stuck on that.

It bugged me that one clue was asking for the disease -- "accused of carrying this fever" -- but the answer of "Who is Typhoid Mary" was accepted. I understand that 'typhoid' was in the contestant's answer, but I felt her answer shouldn't have been accepted. :shrug:

• Love 7

It bugged me that one clue was asking for the disease -- "accused of carrying this fever" -- but the answer of "Who is Typhoid Mary" was accepted. I understand that 'typhoid' was in the contestant's answer, but I felt her answer shouldn't have been accepted. :shrug:

Someone can confirm, but wasn't that because they gave Mary in the clue?

I caught that as well and was waiting for Alex's "We've had a change in scoring..." but it never came. Very strange.

I groaned when I saw that Supreme Court category. I knew they'd drag out Sandra Day O'Connor.

I hope that all the Sandra Day O'Connor clips have now been used up and we can just have regular non-video clues about anything Supreme Court related.  She just kills the pacing of the game because the clues she gives are usually long-winded and she speaks so slowly.

• Love 4

I thought there was a TV show, too, so I went to imdb - "First Monday" was the series in 2002, only had 13 episodes.  But James Garner was Chief Justice, so I'm pretty sure I watched all 13 episodes.  "First Monday in October" was made in ...get ready to feel old... 1981 and was about Jill Clayburgh being the FIRST WOMAN on the Supreme Court.  I remembered Clayburgh was in it, but the fact that she portrayed the first woman slipped my memory.

• Love 1

Someone can confirm, but wasn't that because they gave Mary in the clue?

You're right --

"Fever" is a novel of Mary Mallon, a cook accused of carrying this fever & causing multiple outbreaks.

But still, the clue was looking for "this fever", and "Typhoid Mary" is not a fever, but Typhoid certainly is.  Another example of inconsistent and bad judging this season.

This is actually worse than that "Tea Party" response a few days ago when they gave too little information to be judged correct, but were awarded the dollars anyway.  For "Typhoid Mary" they gave too much information that actually invalidated the answer, and were still judged correct.

• Love 4

I didn't see last night's episode, but I don't like "Typhoid Mary" being ruled correct, either.  I've kvetched before (probably at TWoP) about how it annoys me when contestants extraneously include a word provided in the clue -- where a clue seeks "this" something and instead of just answering to fill in what "this" refers to, they repeat the something as well (e.g. if this contestant had answered "What is typhoid fever?" instead of just "What is typhoid?").  That's not something to be penalized for, just something that bugs me.  But this is different, because it wasn't extra information, it was wrong information; the clue clearly seeks the name of the fever, not the person.

• Love 5

"Guthrie" is not enough of an answer!  There are two Guthries in the same field - Woody and son, Arlo - and both are well known.  "Guthrie" alone is simply unacceptable.  Alex following up with the first and last name and yes, is just not right.

• Love 17

Normally I don't care much about only accepting the last name, but seriously, Thompson??? Do you have any idea how many authors have the last name Thompson?!
Even "H Thompson" is pushing it.

• Love 12

I wonder if they would've accepted "Doc" Thompson.  He did use it as a nickname.

And, really..."Muk-a-luks" ?  What's that middle syllable doing in there?  I kept waiting to come back from the break with a change in scoring.  GGRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Love 7

I wonder if they would've accepted "Doc" Thompson.  He did use it as a nickname.

And, really..."Muk-a-luks" ?  What's that middle syllable doing in there?  I kept waiting to come back from the break with a change in scoring.  GGRRRRRRRRRRRR

I guess the "full name" thing is only enforced if there are two equally well known people in the same profession, preferably relatives, like Charlotte and Emily Bronte, or the two Presidents Bush et al.

I heard "mukaluks" too and thought it should not have been accepted.

• Love 2

I guess the "full name" thing is only enforced if there are two equally well known people in the same profession, preferably relatives, like Charlotte and Emily Bronte, or the two Presidents Bush et al.

Or Guthrie's.

• Love 9

I am a little confused. On one of the DD's the answer was Harry Truman. I think the contestant answered Edward VIII, and then Alex said, "Oh, no. Much more recent." Which romance was much more recent? Truman married in 1919; Edward VIII in 1937. Or did the contestant answered Edward VII?

Was there a pun that I'm not getting with the category But Not Chilly? It was preceded by Many "Do", but I couldn't figure it out.

Oops! Had trouble editing. The category before Many Do and But Not Chilly had something to do with countries that border Brazil. Many countries do but not Chile.

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought he said Edward the Sixth.

Kind of funny how the mind works...even though he got the number of Edward wrong, he saw/heard "Wallace" in the clue (Bess Truman's maiden name) and thought "Wallis Simpson."

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2

Kind of funny how the mind works...even though he got the number of Edward wrong, he saw/heard "Wallace" in the clue (Bess Truman's maiden name) and thought "Wallis Simpson."

Ohhhh. I was wondering where his answer came from. I saw 'Independence' and immediately said Harry Truman.

• Love 1

I know this has been gone over, but Guthrie accepted as an answer?? Unacceptable. It's not like I'm just about to give up on this show, but with all the lousy judging lately, they're making it very frustrating to be a fan. There's a team of judges who thought Guthrie and Thompson alone were acceptable answers? UGH

• Love 6

For once, I am glad I will miss Jeopardy! tonight.  The starting in the middle of the column drives me nuts!  Maybe he'll lose tonight.

And no, just "Guthrie" and just "Thompson" should not have been acceptable answers at all.

• Love 2

I can understand the objection to the "Guthrie" answer, and I realize there are many people who wrote novels named "Thompson", but how many of those Thompson authors wrote a novel with that exact first line of the book that was quoted in the clue?

• Love 1
(edited)

The judging certainly is off this season. Did they hire an entire new panel of judges or something?

They show previous seasons of Jeopardy! here at noon everyday. On a clue today, the category was Classes. The clue was something along the line of between First and Economy. The contestant answered Business and Alex made her be more specific and say Business Class. And now they'll accept Guthrie and Thompson? The mind boggles.

Yeah, and I hope board jumper guy loses tonight. He was annoying.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 1

I know I'm in the minority in this, but I don't mind board jumping at all.  Just curious, why do people find it offensive?  It seems to me the contestant is there to use whatever strategy they think will get them the win. There isn't a rule about it, is there?

• Love 5
(edited)

I misheard the clue and thought Ohio because you only use one hand for that.

I've never heard of a hen who laid the golden egg. Also, "no decision" was the better correct answer, so I'm glad they ruled him correct on that.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Sitting with my iPad (which I forgot I was even using) and, I couldn't get Alaska. I type everyday at work & at home and I didn't know it. I guess I've never typed Alaska before. LOL!! Impressive win for the middle guy who was in the red.

I got Alaska before Alex had even finished reading the clue...but if you're not good at visualizing a keyboard then it would be really difficult.

I liked the guy who won - nice comeback. Also Kitadel is awesome.

• Love 2

Yay, Alvin! Way to go! How can you not like a guy who builds a Kitadel? LOL.

I've never heard of the hen who laid the golden egg, either, although Erin was a good contestant.

I was staring at my keyboard and still couldn't come up with FJ.

• Love 1
(edited)

The previous champ was so smug and I hate his board jumping so I wanted anyone else to win, but it turned out I really liked both of his competitors. I would have been happy if either won but Yay Alvin! Great comeback.

I have never heard of The Hen Who Laid the Golden Egg. These judges are really slipping.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 4
(edited)

What a game!  I was rooting for Erin because she was so calm (and knowledgeable).  Alvin seemed like a really good sport.  I loved his reaction when he finally got out of the hole in regular jeopardy.  He did his share of board jumping, though.  It doesn't bother me, but I agree it makes it harder to keep track of the category.  

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 3
(edited)
I have never heard of The Hen Who Laid the Golden Egg. These judges are really slipping.

I never did, either, but Google has several references to it in short story form (basically the goose story with the hen substituted), and it was even a movie!  Who knew?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272787/

FJ was an instaget for me b/c my first thought was the first lesson in Typing 1 where you practice using two hands on the middle row:  a ; s l d k f j g h

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1
(edited)

I got Alaska mainly because I started going through states in my head alphabetically. I must text too much, because I can visualize a keyboard almost too well.

It warmed my cold, black heart that no one knew Derek Hough. I know who he is, but I loathe him.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 3

I knew Derek Hough. My heart is neutral.

I got FJ pretty quickly. I was sitting at my laptop, but I didn't look at it. I just visualized it. I used to make a game of coming up with words that you type by alternating hands, like Dickensian. I guess I still do that.

Very funny when there was the clue for the biblical figure who made the golden calf. Alex said, "Erin?" Erin said, "Who is Aaron?" Alex said, "Aaron, Moses' brother." I'm glad the audience laughed. That was humorous.

• Love 3

I knew Derek Hough. My heart is neutral.

All I could think was, is that Julianne Hough's brother? Would they have taken that? (Hey, its in the form of a question).

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay either that Ice Dancing category was ridiuclously easy or I pay much attention than I think during the Winter Olympics.

All I could think was, is that Julianne Hough's brother? Would they have taken that? (Hey, its in the form of a question)

Given recent precendent they most likely would have expected Who is Hough.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
Okay either that Ice Dancing category was ridiuclously easy or I pay much attention than I think during the Winter Olympics

Yeah, what was that last one about twizzlers. They eat licorice during the routine? Because I would watch that.

I got FJ just before time was up (so not enough time to write it down).  When I stopped trying to think of short-named states and instead swapped to visualizing a keyboard, I got it quickly. 

I like the new champ.  I wonder if he'll get a third cat and name it Juneau now.

(edited)

If it can be done without permanent damage to walls and ceilings, I'd like to make a kitadel. Anybody here know Alvin? Ask him to post the blueprints!

Edited by ABay