Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

What was Gemma doing? Trying to be a "manic pixie dream girl"? Annoying.

Amen. I went to Twitter seeking kindred spirits and all I saw was how adorable and funny they thought she was. Oy.

The guy annoyed me as well, making wild guesses. Was he not aware he would lose money for that? I'm glad neither one of them won. And I thought the World Cup was a no-brainer but then again I'm obsessed with the World Cup.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 3

Arrgggh !!!  Man the judging is frustrating.  I can't believe they gave Jeremy credit for that clue with his answer of "What is Tea Party ?" -- Wtf ?  Boston wasn't even in the clue, he should have been forced to give the full answer, including the city name, since it was the DJ round.  But no, Alex filled in the Boston part of the answer.

And then Alex gives away the fact that the FJ answer for 1980s movies was indeed a popular movie, which removed a lot of guesswork as to what the answer could be.

• Love 6

On yesterday's FJ, I was sorta thinking "Kentucky Derby." Shows how little I know about sports, but I did catch myself by saying: "no that's probably local blue grass not rye and Kentucky isn't 5000 miles from Manitoba. Still didn't know that the correct response was World Cup.

I've always only heard of Bakelite being pronounced as Bake-a-light.

Amen. I went to Twitter seeking kindred spirits and all I saw was how adorable and funny they thought she was. Oy.

The guy annoyed me as well, making wild guesses. Was he not aware he would lose money for that? I'm glad neither one of them won. And I thought the World Cup was a no-brainer but then again I'm obsessed with the World Cup.

You're kidding? They thought she was adorable? Blech! I thought she was a flailing nitwit.

I knew The World Cup as I read an article that the money spent was astronomical and could have been put to better use feeding the poor.

• Love 1

I figured it was the World Cup because the clue indicated multiple venues.

That was the clincher for me working my way to it as well -- what's played on a grass field over multiple venues?  Then I double-checked myself with the geography.  But it was the "venues" part of the clue that helped me most.

Nightmare on Freaking Elm Street? WTF kind of a goofy guess was that? Might as well have said Alien.

I'm guessing she zoomed in on the word "thriller" and that was the only one she could think of from the 80's. ("Alien" appeared in 1979.)

I was rooting against Jeremy from the beginning when he struck that pose. Was it supposed to be sexy?

Across the River and Into the Trees isn't Hemingway's best known work, but I was a bit surprised it was a TS. E.B. White wrote a parody of it called "Across the Street and Into the Grill."

• Love 1

I knew Die Hard immediately - even though I don't like the film - because of the reference to an L.A. skyscraper and the year; I was an obsessive Moonlighting fan, and shooting of the film going beyond schedule was one of the many things wreaking havoc with production of the show that year.

We guessed Die Hard in this household, but doubted it because of "thriller" in the description.

Adding to the frustration about judging, I was annoyed they didn't require Frank Herbert's first name.  When they give the first name of a relative, I don't think it's fair that a person can simply know the relative's last name and get the answer.

This is a question for all of you have actually been on the show:  Do they make suggestions of how you should stand, smile, react in the contestant introductions?  I was wondering if Jeremy just thought he was cute enough to pull off that sideways, come-hither look.  Alas...it just creeped me out.

They didn't when I was on, but that was a few years ago.  I actually thought he did the pose as a jokey thing and I found it rather amusing; I doubt he was being serious.

OMG - Die Hard was the FJ!!!!  Had I been Dava-Leigh, I'd have been tempted to bet big on 1980s Movies even though that would've been stupid.  But hey, I could've won $40,000 for knowing my favorite Christmas movie.  (Why, oh why, couldn't I have gotten THAT FJ instead of stupid Inventors?!?!?!?)

• Love 2

How in the world was Ann Arbor a triple stumper?  I don't even really follow college sports and I knew that one.

Glad Dava-Leigh won again.

She was a lesser of evils for me; I really didn't like any of the contestants. Dava-Leigh is okay, but I'm not a fan of editorializing by contestants. When she told Alex she knew about transitive verbs because she used to teach English, I wondered who asked her that. 

• Love 2

I got stuck on "giant" in the clue, esp how Alex emphasized it, so I went with Edna Ferber. I didn't even pay attention to the title, otherwise I would have known it was Hemingway.

Same.

This is a question for all of you have actually been on the show:  Do they make suggestions of how you should stand, smile, react in the contestant introductions?  I was wondering if Jeremy just thought he was cute enough to pull off that sideways, come-hither look.  Alas...it just creeped me out.

They don't really tell you anything except which camera to look into during your intro. They do ask you not to do any hand signals or things like that because they have no idea what you might be communicating (shout out to your gang, who knows...). Obviously, they give more leeway to that with the tournaments, when you'll often see people mouth things, wave, or whatever.

I got FJ! I was partly thinking about Quebec, but I also remembered that the Cajuns of LA had originated as Acadians in Maine.

*face palm* Why the heck didn't I remember the Acadians came from Maine? Evangeline is one of my favorite poems.

*goes off to kick self*

I didn't get FJ. I liked the question because if you thought about it, you could probably get it.

Laura certainly was fast on the buzzer. Also, she reminded me of a cross between Melanie Lynskey and Aubrey Plaza, with a little Jena Malone thrown in.

• Love 1

FJ was pretty easy for me, although Maine was partially a guess; my immediate thought was "Louisiana and something next to Quebec," and since Maine shared the longest border, that's the one I went with (it was between ME, VT and NH).

The category about completing the line should be a source of embarrassment to the show's writers; all but the last one of those clues belonged in the first round of a Teen Tournament.

• Love 2

I guessed Florida along with Louisiana, just like the winner, but that was purely from having lived there for a decade and working in the food service industry. Haitian were probably over represented, and they not only spoke French but listened to local radio stations broadcat in French.

I went with Vermont because I don't think of Maine as bordering Quebec, I think of it as bordering New Brunswick. Also, Vermont has a French name.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

I think the FJ was easier for me just because I thought of Maine first. I went there immediately, then started casting about for what other states on the border might speak French. When I didn't come up with anything plausible, I started over with "where would there be French speakers?" and that led to "duh, Louisiana." I suspect it was harder if you thought of Louisiana first.

Re: FJ.  First I said Vermont, then Maine, then back to Vermont.  Recently there was a clue about Vermont coming from the French for green mountain so I figured Vermont was on the writers' minds.

Little Miss Future Lawyer needs to bone up on history.

Yes, I normally don't fault people for gaps in knowledge, but thinking Gorbachev was in power in the 1950's??? Even if she was a kid in the 90's, she must have heard his name in the news even though his heyday was a few years earlier.

• Love 3

I got caught up in something during the commercial break and missed FJ.

The Kingston Trio TS surprised me, too.  But not as much as The Danube.

Did the contestant say "Georgia girl" instead of "Georgy girl"?  Or did Alex?  Because I swear one of them said Georgia and one correctly said Georgy, but I'm not sure who screwed up.

I correctly guessed vilify for the "V"erb clue, but was a little iffy on it because its definition is not exclusively defamatory as it was presented in the clue.

Edited by Bastet

I was thinking along the lines of Germany, with the quote referring to Hitler. I guessed Willy Brandt, though I didn't really think he was in office in 1956.

The Kingston Trio was my late husband's favorite group, so that was an easy one for me. I also got vilify and Picnic.

I thought he said it correctly, too.

I like the new champ.

I also heard Georgy Girl. But that's what I was expecting to hear so maybe he did say it wrong.

Re FJ, I wasn't sure if Khruschev was the leader directly after Stalin but he was all I had so I went with it.  Luckily, it was correct:) 

An okay game, nothing impressive.  The Kingston Trio is one of my favourite groups too so I was disappointed that it was a TS. 

• Love 3

I grew up listening to my dad's Kingston Trio records (my favorite to sing along with as a little girl was "Carrier Pigeon"), so as soon as I saw the first of the three names, I was yelling "Kingston Trio!!!" at the tv.

There were a few other TS clues that I got as well in addition to getting FJ, so I was doing pretty well yesterday.

I record this show and binge watch it randomly (you can watch a whole episode in 14 minutes!) I'm currently in November 2014 and FJ was:

BRITISH MUSICMAKERS OF THE '90s

One critic called them "a social phenomenon", "the most widely recognised group... since John, Paul, George & Ringo"

The answer was the Spice Girls, but I thought that one contestant's response of Oasis could easily have also been true. I hope she raised a fuss and got to come back.

• Love 1

I groaned when I saw that Supreme Court category. I knew they'd drag out Sandra Day O'Connor.

I thought FJ was easy. Was surprised only Jose got it. I'm enjoying him as the champ.

How cute was Richmond's story that he cuddles babies in the hospital for a living?

• Love 2

I record this show and binge watch it randomly (you can watch a whole episode in 14 minutes!) I'm currently in November 2014 and FJ was:

BRITISH MUSICMAKERS OF THE '90s

One critic called them "a social phenomenon", "the most widely recognised group... since John, Paul, George & Ringo"

The answer was the Spice Girls, but I thought that one contestant's response of Oasis could easily have also been true. I hope she raised a fuss and got to come back.

I remember that episode, and I remember being absolutely astonished at how poorly the contestants did. I don't think Oasis even comes close. I had guessed Spice Girls just based on the category, they were so popular :P

How cute was Richmond's story that he cuddles babies in the hospital for a living?

I was kind of annoyed with that actually - Alex said it was his job, but Richmond clearly said he volunteered. I work in a kids' hospital - they don't pay people to do that. There are tons of people who are happy to do it for free.