Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm going to have to wait for J-Archive to post today's clues, as I was confused by first part of that 23 skidoo clue -- there are 23 jurors on all juries ? That doesn't sound right.

The "Double" category was WAY too easy -- "What is double-wide ?" was a $1000 clue.

Considering Alex was hoping for a beard-off in the Teacher's tournament, there was entire category of beards today.

I guess the 'W' is silent in Wraleigh-Durham ... at least according to Sam. </sarcasm>

I had no clue on FJ -- poetry is just not my cup of tea.

• Love 1

Sure glad Sam didn't win. His answering style (yelling) was annoying and that "cute" Australian accent was a total turn off. And Waterford was a gimme in his DD.

WTH with all the TS? Farm, argument and Northern Territory in Australia and saddle of lamb? I managed those and I'm no genius.

I got FJ because Leaves of Grass was a feature of Breaking Bad. LOL!

The clue on juries asked how many jurors there are on a grand jury - the answer is 23.

That's not always true.  Depends if it is a Federal grand jury or a state grand jury -- did the clue specify ?  Found this link from the University of Dayton School of Law that describes the differences.

http://campus.udayton.edu/~grandjur/stategj/sizegj.htm

And it varies widely -- Federal grand juries can be between 16 and 23 people, while State grand juries can be anywhere from 2 (in Wyoming) to 23.

I got FJ because Leaves of Grass was a feature of Breaking Bad. LOL!

I should have gotten it at least for that reason, but I just drew a blank. I was stuck on deathbed and thought about Faulkner (As I Lay Dying), and then I just gave up.

• Love 1

I have my door open, so I'm sure my neighbors are wondering why someone was yelling "Waterford!" this evening.

I agree the "double" category was far too easy, and I also thought FJ was too easy for a FJ clue; my poetry knowledge is limited, but L of G immediately gave me Leaves of Grass, and even I know who wrote that one. 

I guess the 'W' is silent in Wraleigh-Durham ... at least according to Sam. </sarcasm>

I made the same boneheaded move, forgetting the category.

The grand jury clue was not specific, but with skiddo in there, too, I don't really think it had to be; 23 is not the only number that fits the grand jury part of the clue, but it's the only number that fits both parts.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Sure glad Sam didn't win. His answering style (yelling) was annoying and that "cute" Australian accent was a total turn off.

Thoroughly annoying. When he said he was "into cosplay before it became a thing" it took me about 5 minutes to unroll my eyes from the back of my head. He's nowhere near a pioneer in cosplay, especially since cosplay goes far beyond dressing up as Walter White for Halloween.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 4

Thoroughly annoying. When he said he was "into cosplay before it became a thing" it took me about 5 minutes to unroll my eyes from the back of my head. He's nowhere near a pioneer in cosplay, especially since cosplay goes far beyond dressing up as Walter White for Halloween.

I missed his interview (pee break). Which makes it even more ludicris that he missed FJ if he's such a Walter White fanboy.

Did you roll your eyes so far back that you saw your brain? ;-)

• Love 1

Previewed yesterday's FJ, saw it was Poetry and my brain turned off, besides the fact it was a very wordy clue. Watched the show last night and at the last second, the lightbulb flickered & I made the connection L of G to Leaves of Grass.

Only got 23 because of "skidoo" not the grand jury part. Have no idea what the size of a grand jury is. And, no, I'm not old enough to have 23-skidoo as part of my lexicon.

• Love 1

LOL - Elvis Costello might disagree!

Yeah, I know.  But for him, I would use the full name.  I think most people would think Elvis was just Elvis Presley; I wouldn't argue with Alex judging my answer wrong, or asking for the full name though.

FTR - I ADORE Elvis Costello!  Best birthday present I've ever received was a ticket for his solo performance at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington last year.

The jury clue confused me, too. Apparently I missed that it was a grand jury--not that I knew that was 23 people.

I actually served on a grand jury a few years ago, and I thought there were 24 jurors on it.  Guess I can't count.  lol

I should've gotten 23 skidoo from The Tick where there was some really old supervillain who kept saying that, but the grand jury thing confused me.

I had no clue on FJ -- poetry is just not my cup of tea.

I love some poetry, but not Walt Whitman's, so even the LOG meant nothing to me.  I guessed Dylan Thomas, although I knew that wasn't correct.

Sure glad Sam didn't win. His answering style (yelling) was annoying and that "cute" Australian accent was a total turn off. And Waterford was a gimme in his DD.

WTH with all the TS? Farm, argument and Northern Territory in Australia and saddle of lamb? I managed those and I'm no genius.

God, Sam annoyed the crap out of me.  I was thrilled that he lost.  I couldn't come up with Waterford - I knew it ended with 'ford' but the rest just wouldn't come.  But the others seemed easy to me.  Although I said 'ranch' for 'station' - I'd argue that it is also an acceptable answer because I'm an Austalophile and have heard it used that way many, many times.

That's not always true.  Depends if it is a Federal grand jury or a state grand jury -- did the clue specify ?  Found this link from the University of Dayton School of Law that describes the differences.

http://campus.udayton.edu/~grandjur/stategj/sizegj.htm

And it varies widely -- Federal grand juries can be between 16 and 23 people, while State grand juries can be anywhere from 2 (in Wyoming) to 23.

I thought there was some variation - although upon checking, I did discover that it is 23 in my state.

• Love 1

I believe 23 skidoo comes from the winds off the Flatiron building at 23rd St. (Madison Square)--when it was built it would blow up the ladies skirts, so men would hang around hoping to see their legs. When the cops came around and chased them off, that was called giving them the 23 skidoo.

That's how I know the phrase, anyway!

• Love 2

Probably being a little over-sensitive here, but that "Bar" clue about women +/- age 34 resulting in the answer "Demographics" was a bit offensive IMO.  I'm wondering where Jon Taffer did his research on that one.  Being over 34 myself, I'm still known to swivel when the spirit moves and the other patrons are worth swiveling for!

Sorry to see Christina end her visit - she was pleasant to watch.

• Love 2

I finally managed to rewatch Wednesday's match with Stephanie, Christina and Ravi because there was an answer to the $2000 clue that Ravi gave at the end of the DJ round that I wasn't sure what he said in that David Muir category.

Clue: I still have the radiation contamination detector after reporting from his Japanese prefecture when its Daniichi or "Number One" nuclear plant was wrecked by an earthquake and tsunami.

Answer by Ravi: "What is Fukushima Nuclear ?"

And it was judged correct --- except that's not the name of the "this prefecture".  It's just Fukushima.  They have judged people wrong for just adding an extra 's' to a word, but in this case he added an entire extra word but was judged correct.  It's puzzling how inconsistent the judging has been this season.

• Love 1

Once again, Alex has to be cute with a clue by adding his impression of Julia Child.  That bugs me when he does that.  I think the judges should just rule to throw out that entire clue when he does that and not let anyone answer it.

• Love 4

It also bugged me that he did the Julia Child impression. It was a huge giveaway, a Kids Tournament hint. Before he did it, I knew the answer and wondered who else would get it, but then he handed them the answer.

• Love 3

I don't understand why Alex can do an accent that basically gives away the answer, but the other day when he let just the "S" slip for Selena, they ruled the question invalid and took the contestant's money back (I still can't believe they did that). So the "S" was such a huge hint that it was considered a give-away, but an actual give-away with a cheesy accent is just a little harmless fun? Makes no sense. 

• Love 5

Once again, Alex has to be cute with a clue by adding his impression of Julia Child.  That bugs me when he does that.  I think the judges should just rule to throw out that entire clue when he does that and not let anyone answer it.

Wasn't that a pre-taped video, not an ad-lib on the show?

• Love 1

Wasn't that a pre-taped video, not an ad-lib on the show?

They were showing a video of her kitchen while he was reading the clue (about the 6' 2" chef) so I'm not sure if that qualifies for being pretaped, but if it was, that's even worse!

• Love 2

Julia's kitchen is in the museum where Alex was pre-taped giving the clue, including "Bon Appetit!"  I think it might've been funnier if he had said, "Save the liver!  Always save the liver!" because I can't see/hear an impression of Julia Child without thinking of Dan Aykroyd's from that early SNL sketch.

• Love 5

I don't understand why Alex can do an accent that basically gives away the answer, but the other day when he let just the "S" slip for Selena, they ruled the question invalid and took the contestant's money back (I still can't believe they did that). 

I don't remember this. Maybe this was the show I missed. What happened?

I don't remember this. Maybe this was the show I missed. What happened?

It was earlier this past week - Tuesday maybe? One of the contestants rang in, and I think her name was Stephanie. But instead of Alex saying her name, he said "Se" (the first sound of the answer) and then corrected himself to say "Stephanie", and she gave the correct answer (Selena). After the next commercial break, they came back and said that because Alex had said part of the answer, they couldn't give her the money for it, even though he was sure she knew it anyways.

• Love 2

But Stephanie had already rung in and didn't hesitate when she gave her answer.  It didn't look like what he started to say influenced her in the least.  I thought it was pretty obvious that she was ready to give that answer and it really seemed unfair to her.  Especially with all the other stuff I think he gets away with. 

• Love 3

I agree, Sierra Mist.  MANY times his asinine impersonations give away the answer and, in this case, not only was it a little demeaning but unnecessary.  If you knew which chef was 6'2" you got the answer, which was enough of a clue in the question.  I didn't because I don't follow chefs, but they probably did.  I also loathe his "Bobbie Bairns,"  his dracula, and his Sean Connery.  A's other impressions bother anyone?

Normally I don't care about bettng strategy and don't get all bent out of shape about bad betting (like another board that shall remain nameless) but that was supremely bad betting....

I guess I'm swimming against the tide here, but I usually find Alex's impressions and accents at least moderately amusing.  But then, I don't generally think he's condescending to female contestants, and the "women authors" and the "what women want" categories don't much bother me either.  I don't analyze it, I just enjoy trying to prove that I'm smarter than the contestants.  (Sometimes, sometimes not.)

Probably being a little over-sensitive here, but that "Bar" clue about women +/- age 34 resulting in the answer "Demographics" was a bit offensive IMO.  I'm wondering where Jon Taffer did his research on that one.

Well, Taffer says a lot of things that I think are bull, so  . . .  yeah, there's not much of a bar/club scene where I live, but if there was, here's another 34+ lady who'd be hitting it on a regular basis.

I missed Friday's show because I was out to dinner, so I missed the actual clue.  J! Archive doesn't have that game up yet - does anyone know the wording?

I guess I'm swimming against the tide here, but I usually find Alex's impressions and accents at least moderately amusing.  But then, I don't generally think he's condescending to female contestants, and the "women authors" and the "what women want" categories don't much bother me either.  I don't analyze it, I just enjoy trying to prove that I'm smarter than the contestants.  (Sometimes, sometimes not.)

I missed Friday's show because I was out to dinner, so I missed the actual clue.  J! Archive doesn't have that game up yet - does anyone know the wording?

http://fikklefame.com/final-jeopardy-week-of-2-16-15/

Judas Priest! That was painful to watch. Gemma drove me nuts, too. Even if they'd used the SNL categories, I bet there would have been wild ass guesses.

I've never heard Bakelight pronounced bake-a-light, but I see it's an alternative pronunciation. Who knew? I'm embarrassed that I learned something from those nitwits.

• Love 2

I've never heard Bakelight pronounced bake-a-light,

That's because it was invented by some guy named Baekeland.  Years ago, I was trying to find out if the bracelets my mom had were plain ol' plastic or Bakelite, which was when I read that about the inventor and how to pronounce it.  The bracelets were plastic.

...but the handles on the straw purse are Bakelite!  Whoo hooo!!  eBay, here I come!

• Love 1

Yeah, not a good game.

I got God's Little Acre. I never read the book, and I haven't seen the entire movie, but I always think of the movie show that used to air here (at 4:00 pm, I think), and God's Little Acre was one of the movies. I'm not sure why I connect the two so readily. It's just one of those memories that are inexplicable.

• Love 1

I didn't know God's Little Acre, but that's the only TS that stumped me, too.  Videoconferencing, interdisciplinary, Little Men and Coral Sea being missed surprised me, but mammal blew me away.

Wimbledon was a bad guess for FJ.

I tend not to notice, let alone be bothered by, many of the mannerisms that get noted about contestants, but, holy cow, Gemma's bothered me. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3