Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

51 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Lookeyloo, the next time I need a pet name I'm going to ask you for help!

We have named a lot of pets over the years.  Current betta fish is named Frank Lawrence but that's because the grandson named him.  And we always use both names when talking to him. In our demented state we believe he knows us!!!  At least that's what we tell ourselves.

• Love 3

One of my favorite names of our pets (and stop me if I've told this story before) came about from a kitten which used to wander into our yard. He was part of a litter from a cat owned by a priest who lived across the street. Incidentally, he had originally named the mama cat "David" to go with his other cat "Goliath", but once it was clear that she was pregnant, she became "David-Anne". At any rate, our kids would play with the kitten, and my younger son, who was two and just learning to talk started calling it "Farfel Kitty". It wasn't until some time later that my daughter figured out that he was saying it was Father Phil's kitten. We thought it was such a cute name that we later re-used it for one of our own cats.

• Love 7

The visiting home nurse I had last year had a problem with a mouse she couldn't get rid of.  They had tried exterminators & other things but this was one smart mouse.  I think she was finally going to borrow a friend's cat.  She was in process of moving & was afraid she was somehow going to bring it with her when she moved. I stopped having to need her before I heard how she made out with the cat.  The worse part was where she found evidence of where the mouse had been - eating out a hole in a newer recliner to get to the stuffing, in her kids diaper bag cuz she forgot about the snacks she left in it, in the pocket of her daughter's jacket.  Yuck, just yuck! Even tho we have never had mice in this house (knock on wood, had field mice in previous one ) I still give my Lazy Boy a once over now & then, checking for holes.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

The visiting home nurse I had last year had a problem with a mouse she couldn't get rid of.  They had tried exterminators & other things but this was one smart mouse.  I think she was finally going to borrow a friend's cat.  She was in process of moving & was afraid she was somehow going to bring it with her when she moved. I stopped having to need her before I heard how she made out with the cat.  The worse part was where she found evidence of where the mouse had been - eating out a hole in a newer recliner to get to the stuffing, in her kids diaper bag cuz she forgot about the snacks she left in it, in the pocket of her daughter's jacket.  Yuck, just yuck! Even tho we have never had mice in this house (knock on wood, had field mice in previous one ) I still give my Lazy Boy a once over now & then, checking for holes.  

We've never had problems with mice in the house other than the occasional one which the cats (we've always had at least one) would deal with. This did remind me, though, of a time when my parents had a couple of chickens which Dad had built a roost for in a corner of the garage. One spring, he was prepping the riding mower for use and luckily was thorough enough to go into the engine to make sure all was clean only to find quite a large store of chicken feed and a nest of baby mice in the inner workings.

• Love 2
(edited)

We recently had been wondering why we were seeing so many squirrels darting around under the house (we're in a stilt home) until husband went to prep the riding mower for sale and found peanuts stashed on its deck. Lots! 

Someone in the neighborhood must put them out and the squirrels were gettin' ready for winter. Or summer. It is Florida so maybe they were just saving for a rainy day.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

When I was in high school, i still had a younger sister.  She was PRISSSSSSSSY and together, and very very fussy about her appearance.  I was generally only concerned until I walked out the door.  Never gave it a thought afterward.  Not prissy, but not dumpy or frumpy.  Practical.  

We also had a cat who's name (seriously) was Orkin, for obvious reasons.  Orkin was a great hunter, and was so very proud to bring home his current kill every morning.  There was almost always a bloodied carcass on the steps into the kitchen or in the garage.  One morning, we were leaving for school.  As always, my sister was taking her sweet time getting ready and I was ready to go.  I opened the wooden door to the screen door preparing to step out, and came, literally, face to face with a bloody, gory, guts-out, dead rabbit.  Orkin had clawed the screen lose and draped dead bunny over his sagging artwork.  I gave a little EEEP!!!  and jumped back.  And then (because I was the good sister), I told her about the rabbit so she wouldn't make the same mistake.

not really.  I went around to the other door, walked through the yard to my car, pulled it right up to the garage where the rabbit was hanging, and blew the horn several times to make her hurry.  And then I just watched the show...and laughed until I cried all the way to school.  She cried, which made it 10 times better.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Orkin had clawed the screen lose and draped dead bunny over his sagging artwork.  I gave a little EEEP!!!  and jumped back.  And then (because I was the good sister), I told her about the rabbit so she wouldn't make the same mistake.

not really.  I went around to the other door, walked through the yard to my car, pulled it right up to the garage where the rabbit was hanging, and blew the horn several times to make her hurry.  And then I just watched the show...and laughed until I cried all the way to school.  She cried, which made it 10 times better.

OMG.....I have tears running down my cheeks, HAPPY! You are EVIL!   But the best story teller, ever.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

When I was in high school, i still had a younger sister.  She was PRISSSSSSSSY and together, and very very fussy about her appearance.  I was generally only concerned until I walked out the door.  Never gave it a thought afterward.  Not prissy, but not dumpy or frumpy.  Practical.  

We also had a cat who's name (seriously) was Orkin, for obvious reasons.  Orkin was a great hunter, and was so very proud to bring home his current kill every morning.  There was almost always a bloodied carcass on the steps into the kitchen or in the garage.  One morning, we were leaving for school.  As always, my sister was taking her sweet time getting ready and I was ready to go.  I opened the wooden door to the screen door preparing to step out, and came, literally, face to face with a bloody, gory, guts-out, dead rabbit.  Orkin had clawed the screen lose and draped dead bunny over his sagging artwork.  I gave a little EEEP!!!  and jumped back.  And then (because I was the good sister), I told her about the rabbit so she wouldn't make the same mistake.

I do love the way you tell a story! 

I would have left the rabbit there as well...not out of malice, but because I really, really, really don't like dealing with dead things. Not even when they are intact. Plus I don't have any siblings to torment.

• Love 2

I'm back from my European birthday trip, jet lagged to hell and with mountains of laundry (and discovered the washing machine is now leaking whenever it's turned on, ugh). The weather was great up until Budapest, where it was almost 100 degrees. But that is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen in my life--we cruised down the Danube at night and the whole city was lit up.

I'm one of those people who forget that I love to travel until I actually go somewhere. But I don't like to be gone longer than 10 days at a time or I start getting antsy. This trip was 8 days and it was perfect.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I'm back from my European birthday trip, jet lagged to hell and with mountains of laundry (and discovered the washing machine is now leaking whenever it's turned on, ugh). The weather was great up until Budapest, where it was almost 100 degrees. But that is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen in my life--we cruised down the Danube at night and the whole city was lit up.

I'm one of those people who forget that I love to travel until I actually go somewhere. But I don't like to be gone longer than 10 days at a time or I start getting antsy. This trip was 8 days and it was perfect.

We were in Budapest last year where our river cruise started and I do agree that lit up it was amazing. It was also record breaking hot last year and the river was very low. Was it better this year?

(edited)

Thanks, @Crazycatlady !

We're in a small town that still does small-town 4th of July parades so attended that. Really fun, everything from kids on their decorated bicycles to decorated trailered pontoon boats, go-karts, horses, old cars, fire engines, Legion color guard,  and more! Even a bagpiper! 

I did not know there were 8 day Danube cruises. @emma675 your travel thoughts mirror mine completely. I don't wanna go, it's too long etc. Then, I am so glad we went! Glad I'm not alone. And it can be challenging finding some shorter trips.

Happy 4th everyone! We live in a great country, imho.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

Happy 4th of July to all!!

This post is  off topic from the varmints theme but thought it funny & shareworthy.  Like I've told before, my husband works & lives out of state for long stretches but he's home this week.  It's hard for me to lift things overhead cuz of my RA, so I can't put away some of our dishes since shelves are higher up. It has become autopilot for Son to do, if he sees the pile of clean dishes on the counter, he just puts them away without me saying anything. Side note: Counter space is premium in my kitchen &  the space we use the most is where I stack the dishes to put away.  Well this morning I unloaded dishwasher & had stack for Mr Barb or Son to put away.  Mr. Barb came in to make tuna for his lunch. Evidently he didn't notice dishes (don't see how) or even ask about them & had to work around them to make his sandwich. He even had to lean over the dish pile to reach the can opener to open not one but two cans of tuna. He probably got a plate off pile instead of one from cupboard.  But the best part is while he is doing all this, he was telling me how lazy his cousin was at the family BBQ we went to yesterday.  Really??? 

HFC - this reminds me of story you recently posted about your husband worrying more about missing kitchen appliance (? Compactor) than a missing you. So typical - I'm sure we could write a Stupid Husband book & we all can contribute.....

• Love 6
(edited)

I bought an air conditioner this weekend!  No more tossing and turning on hot nights.  It's been a few years since I could afford this luxury and it's so nice to have one.  One reason cause it's cool, but mainly because I had the discretionary funds to buy it.  It's nice to have a good job that I enjoy!  The cat is pissed.  She has retreated to the far end of the room next to mine where there was a tiny patch of sun.  She's huddling there trying to stave of the inevitable death by freezing!  Sorry puss, but mama needs to be cool!

And...... My "Old Bay" arrived!  I never heard of this before someone posted about it on this board.  Delish!  

Edited by kathe5133
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Happy 4th of July to all!!

This post is  off topic from the varmints theme but thought it funny & shareworthy.  Like I've told before, my husband works & lives out of state for long stretches but he's home this week.  It's hard for me to lift things overhead cuz of my RA, so I can't put away some of our dishes since shelves are higher up. It has become autopilot for Son to do, if he sees the pile of clean dishes on the counter, he just puts them away without me saying anything. Side note: Counter space is premium in my kitchen &  the space we use the most is where I stack the dishes to put away.  Well this morning I unloaded dishwasher & had stack for Mr Barb or Son to put away.  Mr. Barb came in to make tuna for his lunch. Evidently he didn't notice dishes (don't see how) or even ask about them & had to work around them to make his sandwich. He even had to lean over the dish pile to reach the can opener to open not one but two cans of tuna. He probably got a plate off pile instead of one from cupboard.  But the best part is while he is doing all this, he was telling me how lazy his cousin was at the family BBQ we went to yesterday.  Really??? 

HFC - this reminds me of story you recently posted about your husband worrying more about missing kitchen appliance (? Compactor) than a missing you. So typical - I'm sure we could write a Stupid Husband book & we all can contribute.....

That is a great story. At one of my jobs we started the day with Stupid Husband Stories led by the deputy director. Her husband had the most stupid stories told about him. They later divorced. The rest of us just had run of the mill silly stuff. Mr lookeyloo does silly things too but is relatively harmless. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

I bought an air conditioner this weekend!  No more tossing and turning on hot nights.  It's been a few years since I could afford this luxury and it's so nice to have one.  One reason cause it's cool, but mainly because I had the discretionary funds to buy it.  It's nice to have a good job that I enjoy!  The cat is pissed.  She has retreated to the far end of the room next to mine where there was a tiny patch of sun.  She's huddling there trying to stave of the inevitable death by freezing!  Sorry puss, but mama needs to be cool!

And...... My "Old Bay" arrived!  I never heard of this before someone posted about it on this board.  Delish!  

My cat is the biggest fan on our air conditioner! As soon as someone comes home from work she runs upstairs and lays on the end of the bed waiting for it to be turned on. She once tried to sit on top of it, but she is a little too wide. 

Enjoy the Old Bay! I'm going to add a dash to my potato salad next time I make it.

• Love 2

I've decided Old Bay is mid-life crack.  I am absolutely ADDICTED to three things, and one of them is going into every single dish I make (except cake, maybe) Old Bay, Chipotle and paprika.  In fact, paprika is my go-to for EVERYTHING.  I don't eat cereal, but if I did, I'd sprinkle paprika in it.  And this is so weird, because when I was a kid, paprika was used to make potato salad pretty.  We probably had the same bottle of paprika from my birth until I left home!  (It would still be there, but I threw out all of Mama's chunky spices when her Alzheimer's got really bad.)

And here's the only home-making tip I ever discovered for myself without being prompted:  you know how when you buy hamburger, and it sits in the fridge juuuust a hair too long, and it gets that curious taste?  Not like spoiled meat, just a taste that doesn't quite belong there.  Chile powder, baby.  Put 1/4 teaspoon of chile powder in it, and it kills that unwanted taste.

Stupid husband stories:  THIS, I could write a book on.  My husband is NOT a stupid man.  He is not.  He served our country (even gave them an extra year in trade for the opportunity to get out of Maine and go to N'Orleans), he then went to school on his GI Bill, came home and went to work running a shop, which he ran for years until he bought it.  Seriously, since he came home from school, he has worked in the same location for all these years.  They turn over a million every year.  (Not that I personally see a million, but it goes through the till).  He's not, NOT! stupid.

But I swear, this man can do some of the STUPIDEST THINGS!!!!!

ill give an example (because I know you want proof, right?). Not long ago, we were traveling and went through a very small but well known town in mid-west georgia.  I've been that route a zillion times as a child, as a young adult, and as a mature adult,. I know this place.  I don't look at a map to go there, you know?  (I need to mention here that he and Siri are cyber lovers.)  He drives into town with his phone in his hand.  Siri says turn right on Green street.  One block later, Siri says turn right on Blue street.  One block later, Siri says turn right on red street.  One block later, Siri says turn right on Black street.  One block later, Siri says turn right on Green street.  I'm watching (smirking) while pretending to be absorbed in my ebook.  [I have to be completely exasperated to say anything when he's driving and I was actually enjoying this a little.  I'll admit:  I have let him drive 200 miles out of the way because SIRI SAID SO.]

I thought once-around-the-block would snap him back, but nooooo...he went TWICE.  Yes, he did!  He actually made that whole square TWICE before he blurted out WHATTHEHELL???

• Love 4

HFC I know what you mean. Mr lookeyloo has a phd in biochemistry which I think makes him smart in Some things. He also knows his way around a computer so he can get me unstuck there. But simple life situations bewilder him. "I don't know what to do" is one of his favorite phrases. Really?  Just call the roofer. Or the plumber. Or someone. We really can't tackle much around the house. Gotta love'em!!

I have an ex.  This story always makes me smile.

We are getting ready to go out and he hits the loo.  He comes out and puts something in the microwave.  I'm thinking burrito, which is odd cause we are heading out to eat.  I look in the microwave and I say "is that yo.....  That's all I get out before his cell phone blew up in side the microwave!  I'll never forget his look of complete stupefaction that the phone was now toast.  See, he dropped it in the toilet and thought the microwave would dry it.  And this guy is an engineer by trade.  Theoretically, not stupid.  I about peed myself laughing!  I said "what part of your brain thought a spin in the microwave would in any way improve the situation?"  He was so pissed at me.  I still laugh when I think about it!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

. But simple life situations bewilder him. "I don't know what to do" is one of his favorite phrases. Really?  Just call the roofer. Or the plumber. Or someone. We really can't tackle much around the house. Gotta love'em!!

Better to have one who admits he doesn't know than to have one who thinks he can handle it and can't.  It always costs more to fix what he has messed up.

• Love 4

I have mostly come to terms with it. He is a good man and we share values and he always has my back. So I just walk him through life's little situations.  He has a fraternal twin who is an electrical engineer and who can do anything. But I don't think he is as good to his nice wife as Mr lookeyloo is to me. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Not a story, but I have a theory about men (well lots a theories but I'll share just one), first let me apologize to any male posters...

My dad, brothers, husbands and sons can never find anything they're looking for. I think men look for things with their eyes shut and their hands in their pockets.

Edited by GeeGolly
their -they're
  • Love 5

a little curtsy from me (blushing) for the rabbit story.  You're welcome.  I can't claim "story of the week" because @kathe5133 took it away from me with the cell phone.  I'm still laughing about that one.

@GeeGolly, I think that inability to find things is chromosomal.  I've never met a male in my life who could FIND something.  My husband suffers from selective amnesia, but also unfortunately has "half sentence displacement syndrome".  If I say "get out a plate, put the chicken on it and put it in the microwave to thaw", I believe I've given pretty thorough instructions and I'm moving on.  He, however, is going to get out a plate and say "what am I doing with this plate?"  Usually, I sigh and give him the next step.  But I swear, if I gave him a whole new target and said "get the hamburger out of the big freezer...", he wouldn't be entirely sure the plan had changed.  He will ask at least 3 times while dinner is being prepared "what're you making?"  The ENTIRE family can do a good imitation of him with the completely blank face dropping his favorite stall technique.  He'll say "what do you mean?" If you say THE TRASH IS ON FIRE!  99.9% of the time, the statement is self explanatory, and (because he's processing) he says "what do you mean the trash is on fire?"  He actually means what happened?  Are you ok?  Do I need to do something?  Is this under control?  He literally means "what is my role in this scenario?"  

He suffers from object blindness like yours, @GeeGolly, although I strongly suspect he does NOT do that all day at work.  I think that's a "home" malady.  Probably because he considers the house my territory.  Not sure.  But I DO know that it's apparently easier for him to ask up front "where is the _____" than to reach out and pick it up from where it's laying in plain sight.  How many bazillion times have we had THAT conversation:. "Have you seen the _____?" and I point at the thing and say "that ______?"

• Love 3

lookeyloo, it was hellishly hot in Budapest, but the river was pretty high. They had had some flooding and the river was higher than normal--one bridge we passed under was so low I could reach up and touch it.

HFC, you would love Hungary. Paprika everywhere.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

a little curtsy from me (blushing) for the rabbit story.  You're welcome.  I can't claim "story of the week" because @kathe5133 took it away from me with the cell phone.  I'm still laughing about that one.

@GeeGolly, I think that inability to find things is chromosomal.  I've never met a male in my life who could FIND something.  My husband suffers from selective amnesia, but also unfortunately has "half sentence displacement syndrome".  If I say "get out a plate, put the chicken on it and put it in the microwave to thaw", I believe I've given pretty thorough instructions and I'm moving on.  He, however, is going to get out a plate and say "what am I doing with this plate?"  Usually, I sigh and give him the next step.  But I swear, if I gave him a whole new target and said "get the hamburger out of the big freezer...", he wouldn't be entirely sure the plan had changed.  He will ask at least 3 times while dinner is being prepared "what're you making?"  The ENTIRE family can do a good imitation of him with the completely blank face dropping his favorite stall technique.  He'll say "what do you mean?" If you say THE TRASH IS ON FIRE!  99.9% of the time, the statement is self explanatory, and (because he's processing) he says "what do you mean the trash is on fire?"  He actually means what happened?  Are you ok?  Do I need to do something?  Is this under control?  He literally means "what is my role in this scenario?"  

He suffers from object blindness like yours, @GeeGolly, although I strongly suspect he does NOT do that all day at work.  I think that's a "home" malady.  Probably because he considers the house my territory.  Not sure.  But I DO know that it's apparently easier for him to ask up front "where is the _____" than to reach out and pick it up from where it's laying in plain sight.  How many bazillion times have we had THAT conversation:. "Have you seen the _____?" and I point at the thing and say "that ______?"

You need to meet the men in my family, then...I'm the one who can't remember both bits of a two-step procedure whereas I have no doubt that my husband could come out smelling like a rose after following a sequence dozens of steps long. And he cannot understand that he is smarter than the average bear either. In his mind, as long as you are paying attention, there's no reason in the world that you should misunderstand, forget, or otherwise screw up a task.

And my younger son (now 25) has always been the champion of finding things...Ever since he was three or four, and even if he had no idea what the object in question actually was, he could find anything you had misplaced from a description...He says he doesn't know how he does it, but that if he knows what something is supposed to look like, he just goes through all the pictures in his memory banks until he finds it, then looks to see what it is next to.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I.AM.SO.JEALOUS!!!

Haha! Don't be...It's not always a great deal of fun feeling (and sometimes being looked at) as though you have the brain capacity of an amoeba compared to those around you. Or to be snapped at with that " Come on...Come on, ComeoncomeoncomeoncomeON!!" expression when it's been roughly six-tenths of a second since you were asked something and you haven't quite finished processing it yet, never mind actually responding.

• Love 2

hi everyone. i have been on a two-day binge doing genealogy trying to solve a mystery. i am no closer to the answer but i did  learn a lot about how to use dna results to help. its fascinating and addicting. anyone here do genealogy?

• Love 1

Zoomama, Genealogy is my favorite hobby (and passion, I guess).  I have my dad's family traced to the 800's, but my mom's family is pretty much a mystery.  I think a lot of the records were destroyed during the war.  I did do the DNA test with each of my (elderly) parents, and it was very interesting.  My mom's parents were both born in Germany, so she always thought she was German.  Turns out her DNA shows 75% Eastern European.  Polish--yep.  German, not so much.  I did my DNA to see how much of what I got from each parent.  That came out pretty much as I expected, but it is fun to know for sure.  My  dad's family is much easier to research.  So far I found 5 Mayflower passenger lines.  I have found interesting items in old newspapers, too.  Oddly, I love looking through old land records and vital records.  That is my idea of the perfect vacation! 

• Love 7
On 03/07/2016 at 3:41 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

I love Tuxedos.  Ours is called Sylvester because he looks just like the cartoon cat.  He's our very special boy indeed, and he has trained Mr Evenstar very well. 

Awwww..we had a Sylvester too!

He lived to twenty three years old. 

Still miss him. 

• Love 5
On 7/4/2016 at 7:35 PM, Happyfatchick said:

I don't look at a map to go there, you know?  (I need to mention here that he and Siri are cyber lovers.)  He drives into town with his phone in his hand.  Siri says turn right on Green street.  One block later, Siri says turn right on Blue street.  One block later, Siri says turn right on red street.  One block later, Siri says turn right on Black street.  One block later, Siri says turn right on Green street.  I'm watching (smirking) while pretending to be absorbed in my ebook.  [I have to be completely exasperated to say anything when he's driving and I was actually enjoying this a little.  I'll admit:  I have let him drive 200 miles out of the way because SIRI SAID SO.]

Siri and Cortana can be really sick jokesters.  I have Cortana on my phone and apparently if you're walking she doesn't think she needs to tell you to turn around as when you are driving. I went to the National Mall on Sunday and since they are doing work on the Metro went to another stop than I'm used to going. I have no sense of direction anyway and went in the wrong direction. I then thought it prudent to find out where I was going and asked Cortana how to get to the Mall. She took me around blocks, instead the simple: Turn around go back to Metro, then go right. I used to have a TomTom and changed the voice to a male because the voice sounded really bitchy when she told me to turn around. (See, there is a theme.)

• Love 2
On July 4, 2016 at 7:12 PM, kathe5133 said:

I have an ex.  This story always makes me smile.

We are getting ready to go out and he hits the loo.  He comes out and puts something in the microwave.  I'm thinking burrito, which is odd cause we are heading out to eat.  I look in the microwave and I say "is that yo.....  That's all I get out before his cell phone blew up in side the microwave!  I'll never forget his look of complete stupefaction that the phone was now toast.  See, he dropped it in the toilet and thought the microwave would dry it.  And this guy is an engineer by trade.  Theoretically, not stupid.  I about peed myself laughing!  I said "what part of your brain thought a spin in the microwave would in any way improve the situation?"  He was so pissed at me.  I still laugh when I think about it!

Classic. If he's an electrical engineer, then this wouldn't surprise me. Here's this chemical engineer's solution for a cell phone in the loo: dry device with a paper towel. Liberally apply anti bac solution to sanitize; it contains alcohol which will help dry out.  Now that the icky factor has been removed...put phone in a ziplock bag...add uncooked rice grains and fill bag. Shake and leave overnight, with phone covered on all sides  Repeat until phone us functional. Raw rice acts as a desiccant...and will absorb the moisture. Remenber those salt shakers with rice in..restaurants do this to keep salt from clumping? Cheap and cheerful.

i also save those packs of silica gel and activated charcoal...great for drying out smelly shoes after a hot day or workout. Please keep away from kids and pets as eating silica gel is harmful. Activated charcoal, not so bad since health food store sell it in capsules. But if it was used to absorb a foul odor, you probably want to keep toddlers and pets from eating it.

Samsung is now touting water resistant devices. 

• Love 1

Bringing this over from one of the other threads, talking about Michelle's 'possum hair, outdated looks and hair condition after either or both giving up perms and going through menopause. I was responding to a poster (sorry, lost the name in the shuffle) mentioning how much more body, etc, her hair had.

Quoting myself: "Same here (perimenopausal hysterectomy - some seven years ago now). My hair was always naturally curly; I always let it air-dry and never straightened...The 80's were great for me as I got the "big hair" look without even trying. It was quite to very short for years, but I decided to have a final fling with longer hair about 4 years ago, and have really been enjoying it, even though I worry about coming across a bit Gothardy (especially since reading all the critiques of Michelle's hair here) or just stuck in a bygone era. Going to take this over to the prayer closet, though, as I'm actually looking for some hair-related advice and don't want to get off-topic."

My question now is about going gray. I've been tempted to try going "natural" and just letting it be, but the hair color I have been using since before forever is a two-step one which includes a highlighter. And after "stripping" my hair, I found that years of highlights on random bits of my hair had left almost all of the top layers lightened, which the stripper cannot counteract. And since my hair really doesn't have all that much gray in it (and had even less when the growing process started) other than in front and at my temples, most of my hair, visually, is now a rather nice coppery color with a mixture of darkish brown and gray coming in at the roots. It doesn't blend at ALL, but I can't be bothered with the hassle & expense of professional upkeep when it comes to the color. 

I don't know whether to just keep coloring it, or cut it really short and start with a blank canvas or try some sort of balancing trick with semi-permanent color until it gets long enough to cut into some sort of style or what. And I do really like the "highlight" color, but it's just too different from the roots to keep, plus it probably doesn't quite go with my complexion, though I wish it did.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Bringing this over from one of the other threads, talking about Michelle's 'possum hair, outdated looks and hair condition after either or both giving up perms and going through menopause. I was responding to a poster (sorry, lost the name in the shuffle) mentioning how much more body, etc, her hair had.

Quoting myself: "Same here (perimenopausal hysterectomy - some seven years ago now). My hair was always naturally curly; I always let it air-dry and never straightened...The 80's were great for me as I got the "big hair" look without even trying. It was quite to very short for years, but I decided to have a final fling with longer hair about 4 years ago, and have really been enjoying it, even though I worry about coming across a bit Gothardy (especially since reading all the critiques of Michelle's hair here) or just stuck in a bygone era. Going to take this over to the prayer closet, though, as I'm actually looking for some hair-related advice and don't want to get off-topic."

My question now is about going gray. I've been tempted to try going "natural" and just letting it be, but the hair color I have been using since before forever is a two-step one which includes a highlighter. And after "stripping" my hair, I found that years of highlights on random bits of my hair had left almost all of the top layers lightened, which the stripper cannot counteract. And since my hair really doesn't have all that much gray in it (and had even less when the growing process started) other than in front and at my temples, most of my hair, visually, is now a rather nice coppery color with a mixture of darkish brown and gray coming in at the roots. It doesn't blend at ALL, but I can't be bothered with the hassle & expense of professional upkeep when it comes to the color. 

I don't know whether to just keep coloring it, or cut it really short and start with a blank canvas or try some sort of balancing trick with semi-permanent color until it gets long enough to cut into some sort of style or what. And I do really like the "highlight" color, but it's just too different from the roots to keep, plus it probably doesn't quite go with my complexion, though I wish it did.

That is a dilemma. I've been coloring my hair for about 45 years. I had it done in the salon once and the results weren't any better than the boxes I buy. I am very gray under the boxed mediums brown  and thinning because of one of the medications I take. I'm sticking with the boxes. There are a lot to choose from. Let us know how it goes. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, MarysWetBar said:

Awwww..we had a Sylvester too!

He lived to twenty three years old. 

Still miss him. 

Wow, that's awesome. Our boy is 15.  Considering he's been in remission 3 years from spending 5 years as a diabetic, I'd say we've been lucky.  

23 years.  Our Sylvester is often a Sylpester!

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Can you put some lowlights into the coppery section to make it blend more, but keep most of the coppery colour?

That's kind of the reverse of what I've done on occasion: put blondish highlights in dark brown hair so that the grey growing in blends better.

2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

This is a topic my friends and I have been having for about a couple of years now. The whole bunch of us have different thoughts on going natural (gray), or to keep coloring, as well as short, mid on long hair. Three of my friends ditched the dye, and 2 of them went back to dying within months after painstakingly getting to a full head a gray.

Personally I'm going to keep coloring my hair, for a couple of reasons; one is that I have always looked young for my age, but my looks have finally caught up to my age. And secondly, I work with folks from 18 through to their mid 60s, male & female. I know all their ages, because their my clients, and I see the way that folks with gray hair, women in particular, are treated differently. The difference in treatment isn't mean, or even conscious, but so many folks treat them as old. I will see a client treat a gray haired person differently from a lady with colored hair, who is actually older than the lady with gray.

I'm not ready to be treated differently yet. Oh, and one of my friends, who went back to coloring her hair, had many folks ask her, when her hair was gray, "How old is your grandson?", the 'grandson' is her 18 year old son. The questions are now, "How old is your son?".

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

That is a dilemma. I've been coloring my hair for about 45 years. I had it done in the salon once and the results weren't any better than the boxes I buy. I am very gray under the boxed mediums brown  and thinning because of one of the medications I take. I'm sticking with the boxes. There are a lot to choose from. Let us know how it goes. 

Here's what I have at the moment...13466043_10154187262412778_1272084632156

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Here's what I have at the moment...13466043_10154187262412778_1272084632156

That coppery color is beautiful! I think I would try a semi-permanent in the brown family, to even it out a bit, until you grow it out, then highlight without the stripping process. Or if you can find a copper dye, and go with that color on your whole head. I really love that color.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

That coppery color is beautiful! I think I would try a semi-permanent in the brown family, to even it out a bit, until you grow it out, then highlight without the stripping process. Or if you can find a copper dye, and go with that color on your whole head. I really love that color.

I agree.  There are some good things on the market, plus you can go to a place like Sally Beauty supply if you don't already, for some other choices.  I tried that route once and it was fine, but took too much energy than others.  I am partial to Nutrisse right now.  They have some coppery colors.

• Love 3
(edited)
Spoiler
Spoiler

I was a hairdresser in a previous lifetime and so long ago that I am not aware of the latest techniques or advancements in coloring. There's the disclaimer out of the way first. ?

I loved loved LOVED the richness of coppers in my hair but am white around the front of my face  and sides completely now. Would have a skunk stripe from bangs back just like my Dad.

I recently went blonde again as the roots are easier to manage. I have a darker. .almost copper underneath it all but nowhere near my white.

The one thing i do remember about aging and hair colours is you should  have lighter colours framing your face due  to changes in your the colour of your complexion.

It makes your face look less sallow or grayish.

I think if you put a permanent chestnut on your hair as is now, the copper would actually still show through as highlights, which makes that all over box colour more realistic looking.

If you are adventurous,  try highlighting setting your face with a slightly lighter shade too! Can't you buy boxes with the little brush to apply specifically to only certain strands now? 

I wish i had the guts to let mine go bit I'm afraid of the reaction that @GeeGolly mentioned.

Good luck!

Edited by MarysWetBar
I'm an idiot on my phone and too lazy to get up and grab my glasses.
  • Love 4

right on MarysWetBar - my natural youthful color was very dark brown.  I use a medium natural brown now.  When I tried to go lighter, no one liked it. I'm 72 and I don't think my aged skin tone would support blonde.  I have known several women with hair like mine that don't color it.  They are striking but they have different features.  One of my not so attractive features is a tiny head.  Really.  Kids hats fit me.  I don't think I would be striking at all. Plus Mr. lookeyloo is 60 and I don't want any more reason for people to think I am his mother!!  so far so good.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I was a "born" blond turned dish water and for years did professional three color high and lowlights. I was unhappy the last time I did it and of course its very expensive too so I had a different colorist take me back to my natural color. Still wasn't happy because I'm used to being blond.  I then started at home highlighting after talking to a colorist at a beauty supply store who recommended a no color Balayage method using a tool that might as well be a big mascara wand. Pretty easy and got some nice sunny pieces near my face UNTIL the ashy grays hit. So I now just color the top with Loreal #9 Natural Blond  which is several shades lighter then my natural color but still in the same range so my natural color looks like low lights. All this to say that you may want to color your hair to a natural base and paint in a few highlights but don't use color for them. Just make sure you pick products that will work together which is why I stick to Loreal. Its available everywhere including professional packaging at supply stores, on sale a lot, customer service line is helpful about picking and mixing products and they have a frequent purchase program.

Edited by Almost 3000
Wrote before I got to all your pixs but great info by all!
  • Love 2

I am (was!) a natural redhead.  I tried the red dyes with some success.  But reds are tricky.  I once went for a coppery auburn and it came out raggedy Ann red!  I'm not lying.  Raggedy Ann red.........

Red is a difficult color to maintain, so I then would put a blonde rinse in.  It his the gray and gave me highlights.  And then I stopped.  If you saw me now you would call me blonde, but if you look close its red with gray/white running through it giving the effect of blonde hair.  I like it and it is low maintenance.

My roommate is a natural dark brown.  She is gray at the temples and top.  She dyes it maybe once a year, and then stops washing it.  I guess she thinks brown colored hair greasily smushed into a pony tail looks better than gray, but I think not.  When her hair is clean, even if the gray is showing it looks very pretty.  I've told her this and have almost convinced her, and then her mother and sisters start in and, back to dyed, dirty hair!

My feeling is your hair is the color it is.  Gray has nothing to do with age.  Yes some of us get grayer as we age, but I have a friend that went white at 22.  I think it's important to feel that you look your best always.  Not for two weeks every couple of months, or have to run to the hairdresser every six weeks and wear a hat the rest of the time...  It's so much work!  

If I were you I would color it the dark color of your roots and lighten the color gradually until it grows out and then go natural!

• Love 1