Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, MunichNark said:

True but it is also a somewhat inflexible lingo, which is why we borrow words, lots from English these days. There is a language called "Denglish" actually, which is made up from english sounding words that usually don't exist, but is used a lot in ads and stuff. For some weird reason that I have yet to fathom, German invents these words, rather than using the proper english ones. Drives me insane. (As an example, a mobile phone is a "Handy" here. Why??? Bullying becomes mobbing, Health and Beauty is wellness. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh)

I'm just trying to figure out how far 3000 plus miles would get me - hell, Germany 's not that big

That's sort of adorable though! I didn't know cell phones were handies! I might start using this just because! 

Italian does that too. One thing that always cracked me up was the Italian word for car horn, which is clacson. Apparently Klaxon was a company that manufactured horns in the early 1900s, so Italians changed it to a phonetically more-digestible spelling and that's still what they call it today. Honk the clacson. That word just always cracked me up because it's SO un-Italian.

• Love 2

Puerto Ricans use "anglicismes", and they've come up with their own lingo combining Spanish and English from being a US territory.  Some of them are hilarious.

confle=corn flakes

pampel = diaper

mofle = muffler

bompel = bumper

i asked my sister in law if an MP3 was an eme-pe-tre' or MP3, since you don't know which variant they would adapt...her answer: "I po'!"

• Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Puerto Ricans use "anglicismes", and they've come up with their own lingo combining Spanish and English from being a US territory.  Some of them are hilarious.

confle=corn flakes

pampel = diaper

mofle = muffler

bompel = bumper

i asked my sister in law if an MP3 was an eme-pe-tre' or MP3, since you don't know which variant they would adapt...her answer: "I po'!"

OMG I love these too!

I also loved how Italians would use brand names for things and just adjust the pronunciation accordingly. Colgate is "col-gat-ay". Carefree tampons are "car-ay fray." 

Edited by Aja
  • Love 2

Polish has adopted a lot of English words as well, but, being a very phonetic language, has to tweak a lot of the spelling. For example, "video" would become "widjo"...there are a lot of others that I've seen in Polish magazines that my parents sometimes get, but I can't recall them offhand.  

• Love 1

I know Missy Vixen ,  my heart breaks   for the families  who lost loved ones, also those who are wounded .  A few people   on my Facebook are posting   the same type of   things.  This is just not the time. I just scroll   past them. The ones I am most disappointed   in are the ones who say nothing , as if because  it happened   in a gays nightclub  it is not  important .  So much  death and for no reason   other than hate. And the story  about the police  men working  and hearing all the phones ring knowing that no one would answer   and the pain the loved ones would   wold be facing was one of   the saddest   things I have read in a long time. May a God have mercy on our soals.

• Love 4

My heart is aching and I don't see any way out of the terror and violence and hate that has become the norm. And our country is so divided just when we should all come together. I also need to just scroll below many of my social media friends' posts. So, so sad.

• Love 2
(edited)

I so agree with you Love2dance.  We should come together as a nation, as the American people united in the horror.  I am sick to death of the word"hate" which is used so much it no longer describes anything really.  I'm so tired of the absolute positions of the anti=gun, or dem vs rep positions.  We are one country, people, a melting pot, people just trying to get along as best we can and leave a little bit of good in our wake.  Love you all here.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 6

I don't think you can judge if someone doesn't post about it on FB.  I haven't put anything on FB, but basically that doesn't mean anything about what I think or feel.  Some of us don't approach life as needing it to be on FB.  Although if someone is posting about dinner or a new dress, I might give that a side eye.  I don't post every day or even every week so there is that. 

• Love 7

We do the Col-ga-tay as well. I love klaxon and ipo:-))))

Noooooooo, please don't use Handy!! In 10 years of my being in Germany, I have never once used that word, I call it mobile as it bloody well should be.

Re that terrible Orlando shooting, I'm trying to not take it in too much. Too sad. My mind can't quite take in the huge scale........we humans are just terrifying

• Love 3

I have been deeply affected by the shooting in Orlando.  I had to cut myself off from social media because it was too overwhelming.  A friend posted that she knew a woman who died at Pulse.  I then realized I had met her many years ago.  It is a small world. 

My friends in the LQBTQ community are struggling with this.  It brings back so much of the hatred we have each been forced to deal with.  There are people who were in the club who cannot reach out to their families for support because their families share the Duggars' religious views.  The effects of hatred and bigotry are terrifying.  If you haven't already and you are not part of the LGBTQ community, but you know someone who is, reach out  to them and let them know you care.  The silence has been deafening from the outside of the community.  Hate gets yelled from the rooftops; support is whispered.  We need to reverse that now.

On a much lighter note, in the US handy is a euphemism for hand job, so you might not want to call your mobile phone a handy unless you are ready to deal with some really awkward exchanges. 

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Muffyn said:

On a much lighter note, in the US handy is a euphemism for hand job, so you might not want to call your mobile phone a handy unless you are ready to deal with some really awkward exchanges. 

Is it now? Muahahahahaha. I never use the word, so I'm safe enough. I only know it through Irish English, where "take it handy" just means take it easy, slow, watch out, etc

On June 13, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Love2dance said:

Welcome back, ZOOMAMA. That is quite a few miles under your belts! I find that ANY travel wipes me out way more than it used to. Enjoy being home!

love2, i HATE to admit it, but it's not just travel that wipes me out these days.  Some days watching the news all day wipes me out.  Caring for seriously ill parents wiped me out, although it wasn't physical so much as mental stress.  Worrying over my children wipes me out.  Yard work I used to get up early for and complete before lunch has to be split into 2 days now because...wipes me out.  Having huge family gatherings wipes me out and I was the QUEEN of those for YEARS.  Looking around my house (or camper) in the aftermath of having more than 2 grands here at a time wipes me out.  Just looking around my youngest son's house (feeding and caring for his dogs in their absence) and seeing everything they let pile up, waste, don't keep together, let go (CUT YOUR GRASS, MARINE!!!  And TRIM YOUR HEDGES while you're at it!!!) makes me tired.  (Holding my tongue is actually what wipes me out i think).  Listening to my DIL gripe about my SIL (the missionary) - and she's a regular Columbo, people, I WOULD NOT want to be on the shady end of anything with her watching...wipes me out.  I made it all the way to the "other" side of 55 still feeling like I could conquer the world.  And now,,suddenly, not so much.  I'm more careful where I spend my attention these days, as if every drop of energy has to be accounted for.  When I had my store, I was the only one there able to design and sew out embroideries, and during the Christmas season of 2011, I worked 20 hours a day for nearly 2 weeks straight.  Before hitting that season, I NEVER worked less than 12-13 hours a day, 6 days a week.  For years.  I still do 24 hrs stunts for the film industry because they are notorious for shoving things at me at the last possible moment... I WAS SUPERWOMAN!!!  But when I do that now...it wipes me out.

i mourned the store for a long time, it was my baby and it was beginning to be a big hit in the community just at the time I closed it.  I'd STILL sort of like to do that, it still has potential.  Now that Mama is gone, I could "go there" again.  In fact, now that Mama is gone, I could actually put money into that adventure again...

But here I am, working in my home, with one bedroom of my house floor-to-ceiling with equipment and supplies, and a pathway to get where I can work.  My kids are in and out every day, I can wash laundry, I can fudge time off to go tubing with the grands (like yesterday).  I can arrange my work to take off Thursday to Monday to travel.  I can AFFORD to travel... and travel like the world isn't pounding at my door...

On the one hand, I would SURE like to put my equipment somewhere else so that I could have my home back and feel like I've escaped when I lock the doors to a shop.  On the other hand, when I'm really swamped and working those awful long days, it's pretty sweet to brush my teeth, pin up my mop of hair and work all day in my pjs with no bra if I feel like it.  And the bonus is that I can still wash clothes, pull weeds, make dinner (haha!!) and LEAVE home if I feel like it.  Is it worth it?  Is it a sacrifice or a tragic mistake or something I'm never going to feel complete about if I don't do it?

anyay, all that to say, turns out I'm NOT as young as I used to be.  Things that make me hide and nap are things that used to be a mere blip on the radar.  Thank GOD I don't have the thyroid issues that are so prominent in people "our" age.  I have high cholesterol, low potassium, high BP, reflux, and total absence of sleep (without my best friend, Ambien).  I'm a lightweight compared to others, comparatively speaking and I'm happy about that.  

The orlando nightmare wipes me out.  Our presidential candidates wipe me out.  Our current President wipes me out.  Donald Trumps HAIR wipes me out.  Plus, my hubs' right hand man's parents (in their mid-80's) were in a horrific car accident while we were last on the road.  He hasn't been back to work yet.  So the hubs is having to actually "work" and be there every day.  We cant travel until that situation resolves itself.  (I'm not complaining, he NEEDS to be with his parents!!!).  But the hubs is wiped out carrying the shop stress by himself so both of us are cranky and he's snippy...and THAT wipes me out.

SURELY that rates an AMEN...and the organist starts playing softly while the plate is passed.  No?   Anybody???

• Love 7

The carnage in Orlando didn't touch me directly in the outward sense - as in, knowing anyone who was there. But it has touched me personally - as in, feelings of horror and disgust and despair and sorrow. I have many friends in the LQBTQ community. I've tried to be supportive AND not to "talk over" them on social media, although my capacity for FB and Twitter is low right now.

The one thing I did, and posted about on FB, was to donate blood on Monday specifically for the local Orlando Memorial Blood Drive. I'd probably have attended the large local memorial gathering on Monday evening, sponsored by PFLAG. But. I was so wiped out (at age 65+) after my blood donation Monday afternoon, that when I got home I flopped down and fell into a deep deep sleep for hours. 

As I was writing this about being wiped out after donating blood, HFC's own "wipeout" post popped up. All I can say is: hang on, try to take care of your health. Because age marches on. Sigh.

• Love 8

I'm with everyone on the Orlando carnage. Awful in general. I have a gay son married. So two of them to worry about. Plus their friends that we are close to. Plus others that I don't even know. I have to tune out all the pundits posturing because no one is willing to change anything - I'm not against guns but still don't understand why ordinary citizens need those big guns?  And if everyone had a gun would there be less devastation in Orlando?  Would Sandy Hook never have happened.  Such a misery that doesn't seem to have a solution any one can agree with. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Can I just say this here?  I'm so sick of seeing people post "thoughts and prayers" in response to these things.  For one thing, it's happened way too often lately.  For another, it's nothing but magical thinking BS.  If you're so horrified, get off your damned knees and *do* something - anything - to make the situation better.  Donate blood.  Donate to someone's funeral fund.  Write your congressional representative and display your sorrow.  Write a victim's family a condolence card.  Hell, make it a point *not* to cut someone off in traffic.  Randomly tell a family member you love them (harder in some families than others, I know).  Do *something* instead of suck on your teeth, shake your head, and mutter the approved knee-jerk reaction phrase.

"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?"

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 17

Oh wow, Lemur.  Thank you for that.  I will do something today.  I guess I exempted myself because I'm not allowed to give blood (I'm a suspected Hep carrier and no one can verify that without bloodwork).  But there are many other things I can do.  Thank you.

and I, also, am not against guns.  We own them (but I can't reach them since I'm height impaired).  Most are locked into a safe.  We even have an assault weapon that my husband inherited from his dad.  I don't personally "like" guns - hate them, in fact.  An innocent unloaded gun on the table minding its own business gives me the shivers.  None of ours are in plain view.  I wouldn't own one on my own.  But I'm not opposed to other people packing.  HOWEVER, I'm not sure why automatic assault weapons are available for consumer purchase.  I can't fathom one single reason a person needs to own one.  A pistol for personal protection...ok.  An Uzi over the counter...really???  I would support a ban right now, THIS SECOND, on assault rifles.

Some humor about that - when I DID own my store and kept such creepy, wonky hours, plenty of people encouraged me to get a gun.  My bestie told me he had nightmares about finding me strangled in a back room.  A prissy, well put-together lady customer came in one day and told me with all confidence that she was packing and that she thought I should too.  I said, "what, right NOW???"  She says every minute of the day, yes ma'am.  So I was saying this to a dear friend, who researched a little and said, "here's what you do.  Get a can of wasp spray.  That stuff shoots up to 30 feet in a clean direct shot.  Aim for the eyes".  My husband gave me an electric shock taser type thing, and I bought a big can of wasp spray.  From then on I felt better about being there alone.  I could confidently kill wasps and piss off bad guys.  (And of course, I felt best when my son - a high school wrestler - came down and slept in the other room while I worked late :))

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Can I just say this here?  I'm so sick of seeing people post "thoughts and prayers" in response to these things.  For one thing, it's happened way too often lately.  For another, it's nothing but magical thinking BS.  If you're so horrified, get off your damned knees and *do* something - anything - to make the situation better.  Donate blood.  Donate to someone's funeral fund.  Write your congressional representative and display your sorrow.  Write a victim's family a condolence card.  Hell, make it a point *not* to cut someone off in traffic.  Randomly tell a family member you love them (harder in some families than others, I know).  Do *something* instead of suck on your teeth, shake your head, and mutter the approved knee-jerk reaction phrase.

"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?"

Lemur, I hope this post does not come across as being mean, but how do you know we are not doing those things? I cannot donate blood because of a medicine I am on, and am working 7 days a week at the moment, but in the past I have done diffrent things other than just pray.And while I understand to you prayer is magical thinking to me it is a very meaningful activity where I talk to God and I do believe He hears me. Although one of the things you said I could do, write a note of condolence , if I knew where to send it. I will have to find out how to do that.

• Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Lemur, I hope this post does not come across as being mean, but how do you know we are not doing those things? I cannot donate blood because of a medicine I am on, and am working 7 days a week at the moment, but in the past I have done diffrent things other than just pray.And while I understand to you prayer is magical thinking to me it is a very meaningful activity where I talk to God and I do believe He hears me. Although one of the things you said I could do, write a note of condolence , if I knew where to send it. I will have to find out how to do that.

Of course it doesn't come off as mean.  And you're right, I don't know.  But I do know this -- this shit keeps happening.  If it's not a LGBTQ club it's a Planned Parenthood Clinic, and if it's not a Planned Parenthood Clinic, it's a freaking primary school.  Or an army base.  Or the lunch room of a factory.  I don't want to disparage your faith in any way shape or form, but I think it's time that people (in general, not you personally) add "doing something about the problem", be it common sense gun laws or simply being nicer to people in general, to "talking to God".  I look at this like I look at the modern parable of "Two Boats and a Helicopter".

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I feel exactly the same way Lemur does but I categorically do NOT include sincere, Bible-believing Christians in that assessment. I'm not Christian myself, but I have plenty of family and friends who are, and they feel the pain and suffering and want to do anything they can to help. I get INSANELY irritated with stupid little Facebook comment wars and "thoughts and prayers" sound bites from politicians who are in the position of actually being able to DO SOMETHING about it and choosing not to. They think everyone will be placated by thoughts and prayers.  Thoughts and prayers from a genuinely aching heart is powerful, powerful energy. Thoughts and prayers from politicians who go home and count their NRA lobby money is at the very best totally insulting, and if they believe in an afterlife, they should be freakin' worried.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Aja said:

I feel exactly the same way Lemur does but I categorically do NOT include sincere, Bible-believing Christians in that assessment. I'm not Christian myself, but I have plenty of family and friends who are, and they feel the pain and suffering and want to do anything they can to help. I get INSANELY irritated with stupid little Facebook comment wars and "thoughts and prayers" sound bites from politicians who are in the position of actually being able to DO SOMETHING about it and choosing not to. They think everyone will be placated by thoughts and prayers.  Thoughts and prayers from a genuinely aching heart is powerful, powerful energy. Thoughts and prayers from politicians who go home and count their NRA lobby money is at the very best totally insulting, and if they believe in an afterlife, they should be freakin' worried.

Yes, exactly this.  Thank you for saying eloquently which I stumbled over.  

• Love 3

I think Lemur's point is that "thoughts and prayers" have become something people just say.  If the person who says/posted that really does it, then it's real.  In my world, prayer is meaningful; I've prayed for those who have and have not specifically asked me too, and vice versa; anyone who prays for another doesn't walk away empty handed. But that said, I'm sure Lemur meant that if you are able physically, logistically, or financially to do something, please do.

There are plenty of gofundme pages that LGBTQ groups across the country have opened in your city or state, so even a few bucks helps. The hate is REAL, folks. I know gays who are still closeted, and not everyone's coming out experience came with unconditional love and acceptance.

? and standing with Orlando and the LGBTQ ? community.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

and I, also, am not against guns.  We own them (but I can't reach them since I'm height impaired).  Most are locked into a safe.  We even have an assault weapon that my husband inherited from his dad.  I don't personally "like" guns - hate them, in fact.  An innocent unloaded gun on the table minding its own business gives me the shivers.  None of ours are in plain view.  I wouldn't own one on my own.  But I'm not opposed to other people packing.  HOWEVER, I'm not sure why automatic assault weapons are available for consumer purchase.  I can't fathom one single reason a person needs to own one.  A pistol for personal protection...ok.  An Uzi over the counter...really???  I would support a ban right now, THIS SECOND, on assault rifles.

I'm much the same way.  My father was a sportsman before his lost his trigger finger to an industrial accident (I used to tell people it was bit off by a shark when he was in the Navy, but I digress).  I'm not going to tell a hunter they can't have a rifle, especially if he/she eats what they kill and it means protection and subsistence for them and their family.  I'm not going to tell the domestic abuse survivor they can't have a gun if they have a psychopathic ex still out there, because restraining orders do effectively nothing.  And I'm not going to tell the business owner who is making cash drops late at night that they can't have a gun for their own protection.  I'm certainly not going to tell someone who has a 45 minute police response time that they can't protect their family.  What I am for is common sense laws.  And it seems to me that a semi-automatic weapon has no place in home defense, not when a shotgun can clear a doorway far faster and a pistol will finish the job more effectively.  I base my opinion on the fact that in 1996, which I was a freshman in college, a mentally disturbed woman opened fire on my college's quad and killed one student and wounded three others.  She had a bolt-action rifle.  Because she had to stop and lever each round into the chamber, an unarmed student was able to disarm and detain her until the police arrived.  Without the time necessary to chamber the round, who knows how many other students would have been shot or killed?  (And yes, I was in her field of fire, but being a dumbass with headphones on, I didn't know it until I was safely back in the dorms.  Consider this was pre-Columbine and pre-Virginia Tech, we didn't even cancel classes or lock down the dorms.)  So no, I have no idea why someone needs a semi-automatic rifle with a large clip for "self defense".  That seems like a purely offensive weapon to me.  And I firmly believe it should be treated as a Thompson sub-machine gun, no longer sold to civilians and considered a "collectors" gun which owners must register with the ATF.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 8

Okay, everyone take a deep breath. It has been a hard and sad week since the tragedy happen for all of us. Lets keep the gun control and how politicians react discussion out of the talk equation please. This goes into politics, and the sad fact is political discussions can turn ugly quickly. If you want to talk about the political side of this, please find another place to do so. Thank you.

I can't count how many people I have blocked from both Twitter and Facebook since Sunday morning. I don't want to read their anti-LGBT, anti-Muslim, anti-Obama and anti-truth or reason bullshit.

Yep. I never realized how many hateful, bigoted, narrow minded "friends" I had on FB until Sunday. I'm lucky enough to have a great many LGBTQ friends and anyone who shows even the slightest bit of judgement towards them can take a long walk off a short pier, as far as I'm concerned. I just don't get how someone else's love life can so deeply affect people, it's so weird. Love is love is love is love is love. And we need a lot more of it in our world.

• Love 7

What area are you, Lemur?  It's been BLAZING in metro Atlanta for almost a solid week.  Humidity is ridiculous.  I think I might try to boil spaghetti for dinner in our neighborhood pool.  Supposed to cool off this weekend...I'll believe it when I see it.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

What area are you, Lemur?  It's been BLAZING in metro Atlanta for almost a solid week.  Humidity is ridiculous.  I think I might try to boil spaghetti for dinner in our neighborhood pool.  Supposed to cool off this weekend...I'll believe it when I see it.

Live in Central NJ, work in NYC.  I'm less than a mile from the beach in Jersey, so we still catch enough sea breeze to keep it 80 or so even if it's 85 inland.  Currently it's 81 at the house, but the real-feel is 87.  Which means I should blow off the rest of the work day and go float in my water hammock with some rum in my hand.  (Riiiiight.  So not gonna happen.)

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 1

Heat indices in Houston metro area will be near 105. Areas of the desert SW will be seeing actual temperatures higher than that. 

Right now, we flash flood in lower lying areas every time we get a soaker shower come in. I find myself reluctant to go out if it looks like storms are brewing anywhere near where I plan to go. On days without rain, it's unbearable between the hours of 10 am and 7 pm.  Since I'm not working right now, I have no wish to rise early unless I absolutely must. 

• Love 2
(edited)

We're gonna be 104 degrees by Monday in Southern Calif. Summer is officially here. Ugh. And we wanted to go boogie at a Cajun/Zydico festival Sunday.

Edited by Love2dance
Spelling counts!
  • Love 1

It's 63 and windy as shit here in Oaktown. We'll be around 80 by Sunday, which is coincidentally both Father's Day and my birthday. We are either getting a Game 7 in the NBA Finals or a parade if the Warriors win tomorrow. It'll be ideal parade weather, and we can walk to much of the parade route. That would be my ideal birthday scenario. :D

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I was reading some of your comments and was thinking of how you sound a lot like myself....we're almost neighbors, a Bama girl here :) 

• Love 3

^^^yes, we are neighbors!  If you're anywhere near B'ham, you are my forecast.   Seems like whatever happens in B'ham hits me shortly.  Like that horrible, awful, no good, STUPID snow storm a couple years ago.  Hit b'ham, the whole city came to a painful halt.  Just about the time we had time to think "uh oh!", it was already too late.  Really bad day with 3 whole inches of snow.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, louannems said:

It's 59 degrees in Seattle and I am freezing, since I shut the furnace off in April, during a heat wave!

I'm jealous.  Count me in as one living in Atlanta and I HATE THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY.  I would love to live in Seattle - or somewhere in the Northwest.  But family keeps me here and family is not willing to move (and yeah, I have to admit, having a job and a mortgage also keep me here).  I do know you had a major heat wave earlier though.  

• Love 2

^^^yes, we are neighbors!  If you're anywhere near B'ham, you are my forecast.   Seems like whatever happens in B'ham hits me shortly.  Like that horrible, awful, no good, STUPID snow storm a couple years ago.  Hit b'ham, the whole city came to a painful halt.  Just about the time we had time to think "uh oh!", it was already too late.  Really bad day with 3 whole inches of snow.  

Me too! Finally!  We recently moved here from Louisiana and Atlanta weather is a big improvement. We aren't dripping sweat at  6 am - at least not yet!  I almost didn't even mind winter here which is colder than south Louisiana. Payoff is 4 seasons vs cold and wet or hot and humid. 

What's weird is that we often get Seattle's storms (the one they had the other day is due to sort of peter out here tomorrow morning). But we never get their heatwaves. I have some good friends in Seattle who have been complaining since April, since like around the bowl of the Bay where I live, they don't generally have a/c except in hotels and high rise office buildings. I was in Seattle when they had their hottest day on record a few years back (it was 103, IIRC). I went to a baseball game in the middle of the day, which actually wasn't so bad. I had dinner plans with a friend to eat at a Buddhist monk hangout, but a phone call revealed that they didn't have a/c. We settled for a Chinese place downtown that had surprisingly cheap eats in a modern space. And, most importantly,  a/c. :D 

I've been wearing my winter clothes (complete with slippers right now) for at least a week. Love June Gloom (yes, we have a name for the cool, cloudy/foggy weather we get when the Valley starts heating up). But I can usually go barefoot without freezing. Not today. 

• Love 1

Under 70 here today and all week.  I understand it will be heating up, including this microclimate, just not as much aa inland a couple of miles.  Love2dance, there is an Irish fair Sat and Sun in El Dorado Park I'm figuring on Sat being better in case it warms up.  I used to have my dogs demonstrate in the Herding demonstrations.  Don't think I'll take my current guy though.  He's not big on hard work.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's 63 and windy as shit here in Oaktown. We'll be around 80 by Sunday, which is coincidentally both Father's Day and my birthday. We are either getting a Game 7 in the NBA Finals or a parade if the Warriors win tomorrow. It'll be ideal parade weather, and we can walk to much of the parade route. That would be my ideal birthday scenario. :D

Happy Birthday, Sew! You share a birthday with my baby sister!

• Love 1

just sitting here melting, but languidly *waving my fan* at all my Atl neighbors - I'm seriously worried that we may run out of bags of ice at our local store! Arrrrghhh.                                                                                                                       (& for whyyouneedaname-----"roll tide", lol)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

What's weird is that we often get Seattle's storms (the one they had the other day is due to sort of peter out here tomorrow morning). But we never get their heatwaves. 

I've been wearing my winter clothes (complete with slippers right now) for at least a week. Love June Gloom (yes, we have a name for the cool, cloudy/foggy weather we get when the Valley starts heating up). But I can usually go barefoot without freezing. Not today. 

I'm jealous. That is the weather I would like to live in every day. 

• Love 1

Ugh, I feel for you  - we've had a really odd June so far, lots of rain, thunder (not unusal in Munich though) and it's been fairly cool, yay. Since I live on the top floor, I dread summers.....80 degrees F seem to be arouund 26 degrees C, which is pretty much too much for me if I had a choice. Apparently July will be warmer. Sigh. Last summer was bloody awful. We do get up to 40 degrees right out in the sun. Thank you, global warming

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Ugh, I feel for you  - we've had a really odd June so far, lots of rain, thunder (not unusal in Munich though) and it's been fairly cool, yay. Since I live on the top floor, I dread summers.....80 degrees F seem to be arouund 26 degrees C, which is pretty much too much for me if I had a choice. Apparently July will be warmer. Sigh. Last summer was bloody awful. We do get up to 40 degrees right out in the sun. Thank you, global warming

We were in Germany last summer during that heat wave. Our family decided that we would rather be uncomfortable in the hot sun vs uncomfortable in cold rain with or without wind. Anyway we enjoyed our trip very much. 

• Love 1

My iPad has a diagonal crack across the screen and little chips on 2 corners.  While we were rolling down the road on vacay recently, the RED pixels took over.  Every pic in blood red.  Fortunately, one of the grands dropped it inside the truck, and it went back to normal.  It's on it's last legs.  I may need to start a gofundme page to replace it... Does that sound perfectly reasonable???

yall, my heart just goes out to that poor family from Nebraska.  They left home with their precious cargo and are returning minus one.  From a VACATION trip for which they were probably planning for a YEAR.  I can't even wrap my head around that.  For a place so magical to turn out so incredibly wrong...  Stupid ME, I've been on that lagoon 100 times and never ONCE considered something so dangerous as an alligator.  Somehow, THOSE waters were immune to something so grotesque.  It just breaks my heart.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

about an hour north, I was worried sick until my peeps got home, 15 min to college took an hour and 1/2 to get home......now as you know it's "hot as blue blazes" my relaxation use to be working in my flower beds, now I just walk by and "bless your heart" and give them a drink from the hose pipe, a quick drink mind you ;) 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, pinkie said:

just sitting here melting, but languidly *waving my fan* at all my Atl neighbors - I'm seriously worried that we may run out of bags of ice at our local store! Arrrrghhh.                                                                                                                       (& for whyyouneedaname-----"roll tide", lol)

this literally made me lol, I know people that actually greet someone with that...."hey, how ya doin? Roll Tide" :) 

• Love 5

My iPad has a diagonal crack across the screen and little chips on 2 corners.  While we were rolling down the road on vacay recently, the RED pixels took over.  Every pic in blood red.  Fortunately, one of the grands dropped it inside the truck, and it went back to normal.  It's on it's last legs.  I may need to start a gofundme page to replace it... Does that sound perfectly reasonable???

Actually, you just have a loose connection between the screen and the motherboard.  Mine does that too and I don't have any cracks in the screen.  I just turn it over and whack the top half of it until it goes back to normal.  Percussive maintenance.

yall, my heart just goes out to that poor family from Nebraska.  They left home with their precious cargo and are returning minus one.  From a VACATION trip for which they were probably planning for a YEAR.  I can't even wrap my head around that.  For a place so magical to turn out so incredibly wrong...  Stupid ME, I've been on that lagoon 100 times and never ONCE considered something so dangerous as an alligator.  Somehow, THOSE waters were immune to something so grotesque.  It just breaks my heart.

I feel terrible for those folks too.  What a freak bit of happenstance.  Also, you wouldn't catch me with a toe in that water.  The lake is full of gators and snakes and brain-eating amoebas.  I'm not even exaggerating, it's why they closed down River Country.  It pretty much ran on untreated lake water and Florida passed a law that you can't run a swimming hole or pool or lake if the amoebas are found in the water.  So Disney just shut off the lights one day and walked away.  The park is sitting there pretty much abandoned, all overgrown.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

this literally made me lol, I know people that actually greet someone with that...."hey, how ya doin? Roll Tide" :) 

I was on a construction crew for three months in Birmingham one time and there was this old dude who would wheel around a large bin to dump all the swept-up sawdust in. If he was trying to get around someone, instead of saying "excuse me," he'd say (in a slow, slow drawl) "Roll tide. Roooolllll tide." 

• Love 4