Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

My Mom passed away this morning. My brother found her. She died peacefully in her chair this Christmas morning. She was 93. My heart is broken. 

I’m very sorry to hear about your Mom. Sending hugs 🧸

• Love 4
14 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Of course Gabby can do what she wants, but if you are not open to singing romantic duets, maybe a career as a country music star isn’t for you? It’s like wanting to be an actor but never wanting to do romantic scenes. Yes I know there are actors who don’t do romantic scenes etc because of their beliefs (which of course I respect) but they know that limits their roles and projects they can appear in. 

Everyone has to set their own boundaries, but anyone else get the feeling this was her husband’s idea??

• Like 7
  • Applause 14
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Of course Gabby can do what she wants, but if you are not open to singing romantic duets, maybe a career as a country music star isn’t for you? It’s like wanting to be an actor but never wanting to do romantic scenes. Yes I know there are actors who don’t do romantic scenes etc because of their beliefs (which of course I respect) but they know that limits their roles and projects they can appear in. 

Everyone has to set their own boundaries, but anyone else get the feeling this was her husband’s idea??

Totally PAC laying down the law. Gabby's saying how she respects him SO MUCH is a giant red flag. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1

@BetyBee   While my mum was in the hospital her final couple of weeks before her death, the nursing staff moved her to a different room one morning before I went to visit.  I didn't know, and when I walked into her original room and saw the empty bed, I literally fell to my knees and I too was gasping for breath, because in that moment I thought she had died.  You really don't have control over your body sometimes, including your heart breaking, even if that's not literal, it certainly feels like it.

I'm sure your grief will be really fresh still when you have the memorial, but I hope that you and your family and friends will be able to share the funny, happy, cherished stories, and remember the moments of wonder in those 93 years, when she saw and lived so much.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

@BetyBee   While my mum was in the hospital her final couple of weeks before her death, the nursing staff moved her to a different room one morning before I went to visit.  I didn't know, and when I walked into her original room and saw the empty bed, I literally fell to my knees and I too was gasping for breath, because in that moment I thought she had died.  You really don't have control over your body sometimes, including your heart breaking, even if that's not literal, it certainly feels like it.

I'm sure your grief will be really fresh still when you have the memorial, but I hope that you and your family and friends will be able to share the funny, happy, cherished stories, and remember the moments of wonder in those 93 years, when she saw and lived so much.

That sounds like a terribly scary moment you experienced, @Ancaster

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 3
On 12/10/2023 at 3:43 PM, Notabug said:

Went to a fun holiday event yesterday.  It was a brunch with the Chardon Polka Band, a local group that spreads the joy of polka all year long.  Some of you may remember photos Jill Rodrigues took a while back of the CPB playing someplace in her neck of the woods.  You really haven't lived until you've heard 'Angels We Have Heard on HIgh' done to a polka beat.  Special guests included Santa and Krampus.  For those of you without eastern European background; Krampus is a beast with horns who goes out with St. Nick on Dec. 5 and punishes the bad kids by hitting them with switches.  He wears animal skins and has cowbells tied to him so everyone knows he is coming. St. Nick leaves fruit, nuts and candy in the shoes/socks of the good kids.

They also tossed in polka classics like Roll out the Barrel, Who stole the Kishka? and Just Because.

On a more cheerful note, I spent part of my childhood in Cleveland and both my parents grew up there, so I am very familiar with polka music and the CPB.  @Notabug, I never thought I'd come across anyone else who knew the song Who Stole the Kishka?  My parents had that on a record and it used to crack my brother and me up to listen to it.  Polka was a big part of any celebration in my father's Hungarian and Polish family.  My mother had to explain what a kishka was to us because it sounded naughty.😀

Hm, the system ate the first part of my post.  What I said was that I am so sorry that everyone is experiencing so much loss right now.  I have a friend who lost both her parents this year and she has also expressed that she is an orphan.  That is not something be laughed at of dismissed.  It is a very real part of grief and I am sorry some of you have gone through that.

Edited by Meow Mix
  • Like 11
14 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

On a more cheerful note, I spent part of my childhood in Cleveland and both my parents grew up there, so I am very familiar with polka music and the CPB.  @Notabug, I never thought I'd come across anyone else who knew the song Who Stole the Kishka?  My parents had that on a record and it used to crack my brother and me up to listen to it.  Polka was a big part of any celebration in my father's Hungarian and Polish family.  My mother had to explain what a kishka was to us because it sounded naughty.😀

Hm, the system ate the first part of my post.  What I said was that I am so sorry that everyone is experiencing so much loss right now.  I have a friend who lost both her parents this year and she has also expressed that she is an orphan.  That is not something be laughed at of dismissed.  It is a very real part of grief and I am sorry some of you have gone through that.

Who Stole the Kishka? was a popular tune on Ghoulardi, the Friday night horror movie show on local TV in Cleveland.  Ghoulardi was played by Ernie Anderson, who later went to California and became the announcer on ABC (think 'Next, on the Looooove Boat' that's him).  Ernie's son is Paul Thomas Anderson, the director.

There was also a local TV show airing every Sunday after church called Polka Varieties.  It was the height of Cleveland cred to get tickets to the taping and to appear on camera polka-ing.  I had an aunt who always carried a pair of fold-up flats and a beer opener in her purse, just in case a chance to polka and drink beer came up.  One of the high points of her life was being in the audience at Polka Varieties and dancing on TV.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Notabug said:

Who Stole the Kishka? was a popular tune on Ghoulardi, the Friday night horror movie show on local TV in Cleveland.  Ghoulardi was played by Ernie Anderson, who later went to California and became the announcer on ABC (think 'Next, on the Looooove Boat' that's him).  Ernie's son is Paul Thomas Anderson, the director.

There was also a local TV show airing every Sunday after church called Polka Varieties.  It was the height of Cleveland cred to get tickets to the taping and to appear on camera polka-ing.  I had an aunt who always carried a pair of fold-up flats and a beer opener in her purse, just in case a chance to polka and drink beer came up.  One of the high points of her life was being in the audience at Polka Varieties and dancing on TV.

Ghoulardi was a bit before my time, but I do remember the Ghoul (Jon Swede) who Ernie Anderson handed his material off to.  It's very regional humor and I'm sure wouldn't translate to people without Eastern European roots, but I remember loving the Ghoul as a kid.  My mother loved Ghoulardi as well.  I'm sure that's why my parents had a record with Who Stole the Kishka? on it.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Yesterday the site didn’t work and now I had issues too. Hope they fix it soon.

Yeah, the problems aren't over yet. I just got shut out when the site was too slow to load. All other sites load just fine. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

So what happened to the site yesterday? Did it crash? I thought I had been banned! 😃

Same, lol. And now I can only access it with my iPad, but not my iPhone 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

For everyone who is suffering from loss, I follow Betty White on FB and this beautiful letter was there.  I hope you can find comfort in it.  

image.png.eceef46be19e145bce75aa7320362695.png

Edited by wilsie
and not on
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

I just unknowingly and stupidly spent $386.00 for tickets for a program that promotes a religious cult.

I watch a lot of YouTube.  And I have recently received a lot of advertisements on YouTube for this Chinese ballet production.  It looked like something I really wanted to see so I watched the entire ad, which was quite long and showed the strict and strenuous training of these dancers.

I was very excited about them coming to Seattle and I quickly purchased two really good tickets.  $180.00 each plus $26.00 ticket fees.  Really good seats in the Seattle Opera house.

I have never been to a professional ballet, or opera, and I was so excited.  Then further reading about the dance company, Shen Yen, says the owner is a cult leader who actually donated big money to the Trump campaign and was somehow involved in the lies about Hilary Clinton.

The dancers aren’t even necessarily from China but instead are from all over the world.  They are headquartered in rural New York.

The tickets are non-refundable so of course we will go and enjoy the ballet and acrobatics. Even though some reviewers say the show really pushes their beliefs.

Has anyone else ever gone to a Shen Yen ballet and what did you think of it?

• Mind Blown 11

I've never attended a Shen Yen ballet, but when my daughter lived in Prague and we visited, she and her husband took us to a cult run restaurant where they enjoyed the food. The staff was nice, but they always had a video going of their female leader. Keep your sales resistance up and enjoy the show. It sounds like a an interesting show. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 4