Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

This little video doesn't need any more explanation. (It's my granddaughter). We were accidentally sitting exactly where Cinderella came out for her walk-through posing session in Epcot. Cinderella held out her hand, and P went to like a magnet. Precious!!! Later I said, "P, you just walked right off with a stranger!" She says, "NOOOO!!!!! That's CindeRELLA!!! I KNOW her!!!"

• Love 11

"Bite me." Picked it up from a friend in law school 20 + years ago, and I say it to everyone. My mom, my daughter... It just pops out. Also have really never managed to get the F-bomb under control.

I'm looking this over and wow, I sound pretty disreputable!

JenCarroll, my language would put others to shame.  

• Love 1

Well I've been dreading it but it's finally here - my mom is in the hospital and she will go to into hospice after her stay.   I hope it's sooner rather than later if you know what I mean, for her sake.  In an odd way I am relieved because she can be made comfortable.  If you can spare me a good thought I'd appreciate it...I feel like I just went thru all the grief stages in one day.         

• Love 15

Cherry, you DID probably go thru all the grief stages today. I'm so very sorry. It's so stressful when all you want to do is find a quiet place to lick your wounds. But so much of what happens forward requires YOU to be large and in charge. The tricky thing about those grief stages (while dated theories, I still think mostly valid), is that you can slip up and down that slide many many times - additionally, you can slip and slide multiple times in one day. You can resolve in your mind and charge into your day set, primed and ready, only to become totally unhinged in a matter of seconds. At the generalized age most of us here find ourselves, we're not all that "up" with sudden change. We are typically the architects of the family unit, and throwing wrenches in our plans just screws with our heads. You just must must must remember that when 65 people come to you for answers, no matter how much you want to give the right response, YOU are losing someone too. Take care of yourself as much as possible - you will have to be stronger yet to get to the part where you can hide and lick those wounds. Pay attention to your own stress meter and don't be too hard on yourself. ...hugs....

• Love 9

Well I've been dreading it but it's finally here - my mom is in the hospital and she will go to into hospice after her stay.   I hope it's sooner rather than later if you know what I mean, for her sake.  In an odd way I am relieved because she can be made comfortable.  If you can spare me a good thought I'd appreciate it...I feel like I just went thru all the grief stages in one day.

Of course, CHERRYMALOTTE, you will be in my thoughts. And I second all of Happyfatchick's suggestions that she so beautifully shared. Many hugs to you and your family.
  • Love 4

Just wondering, I got myself banned from the Life is not Pickles FB page and am really puzzled. I simply pointed out that she labelled a wrong name to a child.

Has anyone else been banned from there? I do find that I found the page more and more distasteful - the girl who runs it seems like a crochety disgruntled old teacher, always trying to put manners on her unruly pupils and taking herself far too seriously.

Ah well

Consider yourself to be honored to get banned from their distasteful blog.  They are a group who seems to be as much or more about spreading their political message..I was in some kind of a group who seemed to be either new mommies or obsessed anti government sorts, with a ton of celebrity infallible pronouncements.  I had to delete them all.  I lost so much respect for them, and could no longer envision that any of them had a brain, only feelings.

• Love 1

I actually have never been over to the Pickles stand but what I heard mentioned wasn't positive.  

I'm totally exhausted, but I want to thank everyone for your good thoughts, it's very appreciated.  It's one thing to have a good idea of what's upcoming, and then another to have it totally slapped in your face.  And yes HFC, it is very true how the mind works in all the different directions and emotions in one day.  Right now I'm okay but a bit angry too every now and again, and then I cry.  Such a cliche, but out of really horrible situations there are good things - the cancer doc that will be my mom's primary is treating her for free.  It took him til the second time of saying that to sink in and then I broke down.  He is just wonderful - he told my mother and I that he takes on a few no coverage or indigent patients a year because he believes that he should be giving back for the education he has received.  And - I had a lovely girl call me from patient accounts at the hospital, they are going to get my mother signed up for Medicaid.  I just have to rip thru mom's desk and see if I can find a few things so they can complete the process.  I tried finding her birth certificate but only came up with the male parent copy, so I may have to send out a request for one.  This girl was so nice to me that I broke down with her too, and apologized that I didn't have all the info because my mother was not a 'sharer' and she said that it was okay, it wasn't the first time she'd had to help someone in my position.  

I'm rambling now, so forgive me.  I need to go watch some Magic Mike XXL and have a beer.

• Love 10

For some reason that now escapes me, we drove to Disney. I planned the whole time to fly home in time for a "birthday party" for my mom (who turned 86 today - and I'm amazed!). I invited just a handful of her close friends over, and we piled into her room and sang some of the old hymns she loves so much. She wasn't having a good day. She opened her eyes a few times, but didn't have any flashes of recognition. It was a nice idea, but maybe not so great in the implementation. Turns out her handful of closest friends are also a bunch of crows when it comes to singing. But they were willing and happy (and the sitter made cupcakes) so it all turned out.

But I wasn't able to get a flight out, and so I drove back with the hubs. We charged out of Orlando at 6:30 this morning, and he dropped me off at Mama's at 1:34 (party at 2:00). Disney was a blast. This was by far my favorite trip there ever. There's a newish fireworks show at Hollywood (Star Wars) that is just breathtaking. It is right up there with MK at the castle. The whole crowd was buzzing. INCREDIBLE!

• Love 6

CherryMalotte, I am thankful that your mom's doctor is caring for her at no cost to your family. And here's to staff members who go the extra mile to help people that need it.

If I forgot anyone else who's having trouble, I apologize. And I am thinking of you all. I'm STILL working on a book (yikes) so I have not been reading here as much. But you all make me smile when I get to.

RE: Hairspray and Pickles. She has a DELICIOUS snippet from Lawson Bateseses' (LOL) Instagram account today claiming that he and his family have nothing to do with ATI/IBLP, that his father has only been on their board for "two years" and had "no idea" what was going on, bla bla bla. Maybe this makes me a big ol' bitch, but I had to laugh. Really? His family thought it such a big deal that Bill Gothard attended his sister's wedding that they presented him with a birthday cake at the reception, for instance. It's funny watching the rats scurrying away from the sinking ship.

And I'm back to work, but I'm hoping it's a good day for all of you.

• Love 8

This little video doesn't need any more explanation. (It's my granddaughter). We were accidentally sitting exactly where Cinderella came out for her walk-through posing session in Epcot. Cinderella held out her hand, and P went to like a magnet. Precious!!! Later I said, "P, you just walked right off with a stranger!" She says, "NOOOO!!!!! That's CindeRELLA!!! I KNOW her!!!"

Makes me happy what a beautiful video

• Love 2

I'm going to have a great day because its my Birthday!!

My sister & mom are bringing lunch & then son & I are having crabcakes for dinner. Yum! My sister's birthday is tomorrow, so we're going out for a family birthday dinner on Saturday.

• Love 15

I'm going to have a great day because its my Birthday!!

My sister & mom are bringing lunch & then son & I are having crabcakes for dinner. Yum! My sister's birthday is tomorrow, so we're going out for a family birthday dinner on Saturday.

Have a wonderful, fun filled birthday, Barb23, and especially enjoy the weekend celebration!

• Love 2

Happy b'Day Barb! Looooove me some Maryland crabcakes! I went to a seminar in Maryland once where the high point was a delicious dinner featuring crabcakes. Annapolis I think. We saw the back gate of the Marine complex - the one where they go out if they don't stick. (The gate of shame...). I hope your day is wonderful - sounds like it was preplanned to be surrounded by people who love you (as it should be!) Who's in charge of the virtual cake?

• Love 2

Thank you all for the birthday wishes & my virtual birthday party incl the cake (GeeGolly). I love it. I did have a great day.

The crabcakes were delicious & I wish l could have shared with you. (Maybe next year...)

I received a poetry book for my birthday when I was about 8 yrs. old. One of the poems is called "The Birthday Child". It has become sort of a family tradition to say it at the end of the day & I'd like to share it with you:

The Birthday Child

Everything's been different all the day long

Lovely things have happened

Nothing has gone wrong

No one has scolded me

Everyone has smiled

Isn't it delicious to be the Birthday Child?

The word "delicious" in the last line drives Mr. Barb crazy. I remember reciting it to Son over the phone when he was away at college on his birthdays. There have been some times when it's been forgotten. We think about it at the beginning of a family party but then decide to say it before everyone leaves & then we forget.

Once again, thank you for sharing in my special day.

• Love 12

Good morning everyone. I thought I lost you all. The magic computer electronics fairy visited my Kindle during the nite & updated me. Maybe it was a leftover birthday surprise but I wasn't thrilled when I turned it on & all settings were in different places. I couldn't locate the internet icon for a while & had visions of losing you all forever. I'm not a computer person, just a middle-aged lady & don't accept change easily. Since I don't have a choice, I'll just have to go with the flow to figure out where things have gone. Even the keyboard is a little different.

• Love 2

Good morning everyone. I thought I lost you all. The magic computer electronics fairy visited my Kindle during the nite & updated me. Maybe it was a leftover birthday surprise but I wasn't thrilled when I turned it on & all settings were in different places. I couldn't locate the internet icon for a while & had visions of losing you all forever. I'm not a computer person, just a middle-aged lady & don't accept change easily. Since I don't have a choice, I'll just have to go with the flow to figure out where things have gone. Even the keyboard is a little different.

I don't have a kindle, but my PC has settings that enable me to go to a previous restore point to undo updates. I've had to do that when updates messed up my computer. All my documents and files are still intact after the restore. Perhaps you can search for that on your device. Good luck.

I think I have lost my ability to snark, it maybe a permanent condition.

Missed you Brian, but understand.

• Love 1

It was a few pages back, but whoever recommended "I Fired God" -- thank you.  I read it in a little under 4 hours, though I was so upset at the FIRST page I almost couldn't begin it.  I've got "Girl at the End of the World" as well, but I think I'm going to need a break between reading them as its so frustratingly upsetting.

• Love 2

I think this is Small Talk appropriate - did anyone see TLC on Instagram in the last hour?  There was a video post about the show "Sex Sent Me to the ER" and a bunch of people were posting their opposition to it. It's since been taken down.  Way to go Learning Channel :-/  What a dumb program!!

You know you're getting old when: you go pee in the middle of the night, get done and lean over for toilet paper, and more pee comes out. (Where is that second pool hiding???). That's not good... What if you're already standing (walking, in the process of sitting down somewhere else) when that magic second reservoir tips??? How long do you wait for the second trickle to manifest before you feel safe? Do you rock around on the toilet to make sure there's nothing else hiding?

Other oddness: You refuse to wear granny panties, but there are absolutely no underwear currently being manufactured that you do want to wear. (Therefore, ALL your underwear is older than your oldest child - mine being almost 37). A quiet night in with a warm blankey, no grands and a good book sounds like heaven. (I went to a bar about 5 years ago to celebrate my BIL's bday. Whaaaa----..., did I DOOOOO that? Really, did I ever??? I thought I was a wild, happening chick back in the day. Now, I just want to be out of there). You vaguely remember your mom griping about your music (LYnard Skynard, Elton John, Bad Company) and have to sit on your tongue to keep from sounding just like her now. You know EXACTLY on the dial where is the station that plays Bob Seger, Hall and Oats, and Pat Bennatar. (You grands make faces at your "oldies". HORRORS!!!). Commercials about heartburn are no longer funny. Neither is the table full of moms ogling the butt of a fit young man who stands up to greet one of them by name (because he's a friend of her son's). And instead of blowing off pain relief commercials, itchy skin remedies and big girl bras - sometimes we write the product names down when no one is looking.

It could be worse - I hear that Alzheimer's patients actually nod in understanding at the ED commercial that ends with the two lovers in two separate tubs sitting on a hill in the sunset holding hands across the expanse. I'm not there yet. Does anybody "get" that?

• Love 10

It could be worse - I hear that Alzheimer's patients actually nod in understanding at the ED commercial that ends with the two lovers in two separate tubs sitting on a hill in the sunset holding hands across the expanse. I'm not there yet. Does anybody "get" that?

Safe sex?

IOW, no, I never got those commercials. But if the point is to remember the commercials and the product, it worked fabulously.

• Love 2

Ummmm...Commercials are wasted on me. I LOVE a good commercial (no, seriously, I DOOO!!!). But I NEVER can cough up the product. I describe commercials (act them out) but can't ever say what the product is. My fave for a long time (the first 25,000 times anyway) was the guy in a shoutout with his mom calling on the phone. "There are squirrels in the attic again". Flipping the pages of her magazine...ha! I'm over that one now. I think it's insurance. It's my ADD. I only have the attention span for 30 seconds or less. I'd be a great reviewer for commercials. Are there focus groups for that?

Also: we don't talk politics here, and it's a rule, and I won't break it. But I soooooo could! you guys are my peeps and it drives me nuts not to know what you're thinking right now. Trump's hair is a separate entity from his politics right? (Sigh). I guess not.

I was SO hoping you guys were were kidding (or at least speculating) about the Duggars return. Guess I had my head in the sand about that one. :O

• Love 5