Type keyword(s) to search

Peaky Blinders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, mledawn said:

Michael and the new Mrs Grey (and Linda) are all irritating the shit out of me. Michael didn't even apologise for losing all the damn money.

I didn't understand why Michael lost it on Tommy when Tommy said how the baby was witness to Michael's statements. If Michael was telling the truth, then why get mad? Polly, too.

Yes, they were very annoying. Makes me wonder if Michael will make it to the end of the series. I also wondered why Michael got upset. I wondered if what Tommy said would become some sort of curse on the baby if it turned out that Michael was lying? Anyone know?

Edited by HollyG
3 hours ago, mledawn said:

I just saw on Instagram and didn't realise this during the airing of the show: TOMMY HAS ALFIE SOLOMON'S DOG AT HIS HOUSE!

Aww.

I didn't notice that either. I remember thinking 'what about the dog' during the beach scene.  Aww

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 1

Calling it now Arthur is the black cat. Whether he was deliberately trying to take his brothers crown or just stumbled into it I'm not sure but he is the one who betrayed Tommy I would bet on it. He was a bit too eager to hang Michael out to dry and his reaction to Linda was OTT unless there was more than the usual gripes. Whatever Arthur did he blames Linda for it.

I felt weirdly gutted seeing Johnny dogs in that state. Maybe it just because he is such a happy comic relief character most of the time. Anyway hopefully he can heal up at Tommy's and teach Charlie to play the fiddle the gypsy way.

I love any time Curly is on screen, and how the rest of the Peaky Blinders act towards him. Charlie, all exasperated, that Curly thinks asking for grenades is nbd. Arthur, accepting that Curly needs specific direction, says three grenades.

Gina continues to grind my nerves, I'm still not clear what Michael's beef with Tommy is - he's the one who screwed the family out of cash...

Mosley makes my skin crawl, and I suddenly realised he is played by the same guy who played Finnick in the Hunger Games movies. That guy is good.

Ada's kid is a little asshole and I think Ada would be annoyed to hear what he's learning about social hierarchies in that posh school.

Finally, we see that Lizzie is completely aware that her marriage to Tommy is a convenience, and she takes back a little with her negotiations on what is/isn't acceptable to her in their transaction of marriage.

Halfway thru the season already, GAH

• Love 4

I’m only here because Gina’s strongly-pursed lips and accent difficulties were distractingly bad this episode. I’m hoping she does go to New York by season’s end, never to be seen (or heard) on the show again.

• Love 6

Wow, Polly shot Linda. I guess I shouldn't be surprised she was killed off.

Mosley is so skeevy. Ugh.

I'm interested to see how all of these partnerships will shake out: Mosley, McCavern, the Chinese. I don't see opium dealing ending well. Money, power, highly addictive. 

Peaky Blinders fans fill Birmingham festival with flat caps

The two-day Legitimate Peaky Blinders festival took place this weekend in Digbeth, the area of the city centre closely associated with the historical gang, with performances from Primal Scream, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes, Anna Calvi and Liam Gallagher.

Billed by organisers as an “immersive re-creation of the Peaky Blinders world”, other activities included staged bare-knuckle fights, a Gypsy enclosure with painted caravans, swing bands, a cast Q&A featuring Sam Neill (Major Campbell), Paul Anderson (Arthur Shelby) and Kate Phillips (Linda Shelby), a fashion show for the official Peaky Blinders tailoring line, Garrison Tailors, free haircuts and a company of actors walking around in character.

More info and pictures here

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Is it wrong that I'm kind of disappointed Linda didn't die?

It was just a matter of time before Arthur killed someone due to his Linda feelings so I guess at least he had a convenient excuse to mow down all those people. Heh, that's the Shelby family's form of therapy.

Mosley continues to get worse every week. I guess that means it will be that much more satisfying when Tommy finally kills him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Is it wrong that I'm kind of disappointed Linda didn't die?

I really thought that was the end of her.  Polly is an amazingly good shot to just wing someone with a derringer at that distance, assuming that was her intent.

Oh, and Tommy?  The next time you dig a bullet out of someone's arm, give them the opium before, not after.  It'll make the job much easier for everyone.

I was very surprised that Mosley came right out and called his a party a union of fascists.  I'm not a student of history but was there a time when being called a fascist was a positive thing?  The BUF actually existed though, so I guess some people thought so.

It seems unrealistic that someone could wire a bomb into Younger's ignition system in broad daylight with kids playing nearby without causing some commotion, but I suppose even children learn to mind their own damn business in those neighborhoods.

• Love 5

Tommy was surprisingly kind to the woman who just tried to kill his brother. 

I was imagining all the guests in the other room politely ignoring all the screams as they watched Swan Lake, so when Mosley burst in and sternly said. “YOUR GUESTS!” I totally cracked up. 

Later when Mosley said that Tommy couldn’t have scenes like that or public family fights in the future, I laughed some more. Have you met this family, dude?

• Love 4
On 8/27/2019 at 1:25 PM, HollyG said:

I wondered if what Tommy said would become some sort of curse on the baby if it turned out that Michael was lying? Anyone know?

I think he meant the baby would be family as long as he was telling the truth, otherwise that baby would be persona non grata just like him and all the necessary steps would be fair game.

• Love 2

Wow, what a finale. I'm not surprised the assassination on Mosley didn't happen. Poor Barney, and Aberama. I wonder if Polly will rethink her resignation and the fall out from Aberama's death, if any. I wonder what the 'second option' is for Michael and Gina?

Finn fucked up and told Billy about the plan...

We waited over a year and a half for this to return, and this season went by so fast...and now, we wait...again. 

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 5

I couldn’t understand what Tom Hardy’s character was saying. I mean, yes, he survived, and he’s been hiding out watching ships through binoculars this whole time? How did Tommy find him?  I’m starting to lose track of people, who ratted out Ada’s baby daddy? Eh, more violence, I found this finale very predictable. 

The actor who plays Finn is a little cutie.  I like the Michael character. I wish there was more of him this season instead of crazy drug addled Charlie. I’m surprised that I still really miss Tom. 😞 

Edited by Rabithed
More thoughts

The most shocking thing about Alfie's return is that he turned down Tommy's request to take his dog back. OF COURSE his post-death hobby is watching ships and shooting at seagulls.

Damn it, Finn, Arthur specifically told you to quit blabbing about family stuff to Billy!

I'm surprised that the bartender got away with selling information about the Shelbys for so long.

Ha, I'd really like to see Winston Churchill having dinner with the Shelby family.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, ShortyMac said:

I wonder if Polly will rethink her resignation and the fall out from Aberama's death, if any. I wonder what the 'second option' is for Michael and Gina?

I think that Aberama's death will only strengthen Polly's resolve to leave with Michael. She's going to blame Tommy for Aberama dying. I'm sure she will claim that he wouldn't have even been in the theater if not for Tommy's assassination plot (conveniently ignoring the fact that Aberama wanted to kill McCavern to avenge his son's death.

This is just going to cement Polly siding with Michael. Besides, the show needs a worthy adversary for Tom and honestly, Michael isn't it. Polly, on the other hand, will be a formidable foe. Someone who loves you and knows you that well can inflict the most damage. I was really hoping McCavern and Mosley would both die (and I assumed that's why they were setting up Michael and Polly to Tommy's enemy next season). Maybe Michael and Polly will tell Mosley that Tommy is plotting against him to cause trouble.

I'm guessing that Michael and Gina's plan B was to take Tommy out of the picture somehow, whether that's exposing him for a  crime so he gets arrested, crippling his business in Birmingham, or just killing him.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Rabithed said:

I couldn’t understand what Tom Hardy’s character was saying. I mean, yes, he survived, and he’s been hiding out watching ships through binoculars this whole time? How did Tommy find him?  I’m starting to lose track of people, who ratted out Ada’s baby daddy? Eh, more violence, I found this finale very predictable. 

The actor who plays Finn is a little cutie.  I like the Michael character. I wish there was more of him this season instead of crazy drug addled Charlie. I’m surprised that I still really miss Tom. 😞 

Allie asked Tommy how long it took him to find out that he was alive. Tommy pointed out that Allie had written to him, so presumably either Allie said where he was living or Tommy tracked him down once he knew he was alive. 

It was the barman who ratted out Ada’s baby daddy. Tommy has spies in the telephone exchange and they told him. 

I liked Arthur’s comment about the ceiling being cheaper to fix (from a bullet hole) just before Tommy executed the barman, but I was surprised both of them were so affected by it. 

I do hope Finn’s friend doesn’t end up going the same way after being dragged into the Shelby dealings. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Rabithed said:

I couldn’t understand what Tom Hardy’s character was saying. I mean, yes, he survived, and he’s been hiding out watching ships through binoculars this whole time? How did Tommy find him?

Alfie: How soon did you know that I was not dead?
Tommy: You wrote me a letter, Alfie.
Alfie: Did I?
Tommy: Yeah, you asked about your dog.
Alfie: They gave me a lot of drugs at first.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Does anyone have a line on a non-geo-blocked footage of the deleted scenes? Apparently one of the scenes reveals a fair bit. One deleted scene is available on the Peaky Blinders Facebook page but no the other.

I believe almost half of what bothers me about Gina is her grating accent but she really is a piece of work. Michael is another great example of being lead around by his partner.

• Love 3

Just finished watching season 5 and for the most part, I liked it.  My biggest problem with this season is in using Oswald Mosely as a central figure: anyone who knows ANYTHING about the lead-up to WW2 knows that he most certainly did not die of an assassination attempt in 1930.  I got impatient waiting to see what would really happen when Tommy's plan didn't work, and knowing that Mosely wouldn't die really undermined a lot of the suspense that episodes 4-5 were going for. 

OTOH, I'm waiting (for the next season) when Tommy finally figures out that it was Michael who betrayed him.  And I'm sorry they killed Aberama off, even though it was probably to give Polly an incentive to turn on her brothers.  Having said that, I don't see things being easy between Polly and Gina (who is an absolute snake).

• Like 1
  • Love 5

A reminder about political discussion on Primetimer, specifically: 

We do not allow any discussion of Politicians, Political bodies (Congress, Parliament) Political Movements or Political Parties, including jokes and asides, unless those entities are specifically mentioned on an episode of the show being discussed, or in editorial content about that episode. Even when this applies, they may be discussed ONLY in the context of the show. This means no elaboration, speculation or using what was said as a springboard to voice your political thoughts generally.

I found it rather amusing in the BBC scheduling that Peaky Blinders finished up their season with an episode featuring Mosely talking at one of his rallies, and then the following week in the same timeslot a new series (World on Fire) opened up its first episode with Mosely...talking at one of his rallies. 

Pure coincidence I know, but nicely timed anyway. 

• LOL 2

Am currently engaged with S1 after a recommendation from a friend.

Ironically enough I used to live in Birmingham, England where the show is based; and I have to say the accents in the show are rather bemusing compared to what I was used to when conversing to the locals just a few years back.

Must admit it does show a lot of promise with some very interesting characters, not least for Sam Neil, who I have always admired for his film and TV work.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2019 at 11:19 AM, jrlr said:

I'm waiting (for the next season) when Tommy finally figures out that it was Michael who betrayed him. 

That's my assumption too, but we don't really know that.  And this show is so twisty I remain open to the possibility that it was someone else.  But for now, yeah, I assume that Finn's unwilling colleague in the numbers racket called Michael and spilled the beans about the plan to assassinate Mosley.  But if that's true, that happened REALLY late in the game.  Would Michael actually have had time to act on that info?  And WHO would he have "activated?"  For that matter, Michael and his wife had already said there was a plan B in place.  They said that right after Tommy and Arthur told them what they could do with their Plan A (i.e., taking over the family business.)  But these guys are Gypsies -- they do have intra-family battles but it seems totally out of character for a Gypsy to turn to outsiders to screw over a member of the family.  So I can't figure WHO it was that shot the sharp-shooter and otherwise fucked up the whole assassinate-the-fascist plan.

I really love this show.  The acting and visuals are AMAZING.  But damn, it's confusing.

Final note -- I squealed with joy when I heard Tom Hardy's voice.  I had gone back and re-watched the last two episodes of last season to set me up properly for diving in to this season, so I went into this secure in the knowledge that Tom's character Alfie was dead.  NOPE!  This show . . . wow.  Just wow.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

@WatchrTina

@jrlr

As far as I can see, the only two suspects are Michael and Finn’s fixer, but I noticed no evidence they might be working together.  It sounded as though Gina’s family is somehow gang connected, though, when Michael outlined Plan A.  Gina is easy to hate here, and actually, the usually likable Finn Cole here plays a cold, unsympathetic, and unreliable character, so maybe he will prove to be the culprit. It is not impossible he might have had contact with the Chinese, given his “haulage” job, so maybe he turned to them to overturn Tommy’s plans. We are not told Gina’s maiden name, but “Gina” sounds Italian...another possible source of help. (And that blonde hair is clearly the bottle type.)

I was troubled by the whole opium smuggling plan.  Why would opium be shipped from Shanghai to San Francisco via London? think of the miles of empty coastline from British Columbia to the tip of Baja. Seems absurd to me.  And surely any sensible reorganization would involve cutting out the British completely. But the Shelby’s have American connections, not European ones, and this is a British show, so guess I need to suspend disbelief here.

I did not really understand Tom’s plan in the first place...seemed to have been deliberately vague. Did he expect the Chinese to do the Billy Boys in when they found some of the opium missing? Except it seemed at the end the Peaky Blinders delivered the load to the Chinese while the Billy Boys had the remainder.  Or maybe he sent the BB off with brown flour. And  putting Michael in charge puts him in the line of fire of the Chinese, yes?

So who does Glade (name?) call?  That is the question .

Much as I love Tom Hardy, resurrecting him bothers me.  But I guess if Jon Snow can be brought back to life on the tv version of GOT, so can Alfie Solomons...but wan’t Alfie also supposed to be suffering from a terminal illness?

Happily for me, I did not know anything about Mosley, so I did not know he would have to survive Tommy’s plan.  But certainly many Brits would, so maybe they would have been more alert to clues to the betrayal.  Maybe I need to rewatch the last couple of episodes.

Edited by luckylou
  • Love 2

Peaky Blinders to End After Sixth and Final Season

BBC confirmed the show’s terminus on Monday, when announcing that it had resumed production in the U.K. under strict COVID guidelines.

The season 6 ending is something of a surprise given Knight previously told Entertainment Weekly in 2019 that “Peaky Blinders” would live to see season 7. However, a year’s delay in production due to the pandemic is likely to have accelerated plans to wrap with season 6, which will likely air in late 2021 or possibly even early 2022 depending on how quickly production can complete filming amid the U.K.’s ongoing virus crisis.

Knight said in a statement on Monday: “’Peaky’ is back and with a bang. After the enforced production delay due to the Covid pandemic, we find the family in extreme jeopardy and the stakes have never been higher. We believe this will be the best series of all and are sure that our amazing fans will love it. While the TV series will be coming to an end, the story will continue in another form.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I just finished binge watching all 5 seasons. My overarching take is that this show has the elements to be a truly great show--the ensemble and the setting are truly fantastic. But the writing just can't get it there. Despite great moments and some great arcs, the writing is inconsistent and disjointed. 

The show primarily fails in the writing of its female characters. Grace had so much potential before she was abruptly killed. We never got to know her or her background. She was just a prop for Tommy's pain. And it's so obvious there are no female writers on staff. In season 1, Grace basically thanks Tommy for stopping her rape at the hands of Billy Kimber...even though it was Tommy who orchestrated it to begin with! The show tried to play it off as a romantic moment, but my god, was that tone deaf. 

And then you have every woman that Tommy meets getting into bed with him, even when they know he does some supremely shitty things. 

I'm going to continue watching the show because the main actors are just so good, but I really wish it was in the hands of more capable writers. 

Edited by Hava
  • Love 2

Yay! It's back!!

Alas, with mixed emotions. Last series. No Aunt Pol (RIP Helen McCrory)....all I ask is that they dont destroy Tommy too much. They keep saying this series is 'gothic and dark' but not too dark please.we need hope after the last few years and current events!

And also, because it can't be said enough - f**k off Gina!

• Love 2

Gina and Michael are perfect for each other - two twits who think they wield more power than they actually do.

I don't mind if Tommy doesn't make it out alive this season (though as they are really adamant about doing a Peaky Blinders film I don't know how that will work out.) I am more worried about Arthur. It'll be too easy to have Tommy be the one to whip him back into shape. I want Ada to fulfill that duty 

• Love 5

Finally got a chance to catch up before the next episode, and I really like how they handled Aunt Polly's death.

Fucking Michael.

I do like how the show ties into real events and piggybacks off of real people. 

• Love 2

Omg I daren't breathe during those last 15 minutes! They weren't lying with all their chat about it being 'gothic' and 'dark'.

Spoiler

Really despised Diana Mitford, which means the actress is doing a cracking job. Very worried for Ruby now, especially because of that scene in the trailer of Lizzie crying at a funeral - clearly not from Pol's. Did love Lizzie smacking Diana down though - the wee fascist had it coming.

Kudos to wardrobe for putting Cillian in blue - he was looking like he did at the Dunkirk premiere ...good aul blue eyes indeed.

• Love 1
(edited)

This is one of my all time favorite shows, and it is a shame this is the last series. There is a big hole this season without Polly but I hope Ada will step up. 

On 3/6/2022 at 5:30 PM, Wee S said:

Omg I daren't breathe during those last 15 minutes! They weren't lying with all their chat about it being 'gothic' and 'dark'.

Totally agree!!  Tommy's PTSD manifested itself in unexpected ways even though it's always been there.

Also, Tommy is so alone. No Arthur. No Polly. Ada and Lizzie are frustrated with him. Michael is an enemy. 

Edited by xhoipolloix
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/7/2022 at 11:39 PM, xhoipolloix said:

Also, Tommy is so alone. No Arthur. No Polly. Ada and Lizzie are frustrated with him. Michael is an enemy. 

This made me so sad. But it's so true! And poor Ada the character and the actress who plays her - both are having to step up into Helen McCrorys void.

Looking forward to Michael being smacked in the face because how dare he go after Tommy?! The audacity.

@Lamima its on every sunday night on bbc1. Will probably hit netflix once the whole series has aired.

Edited by Wee S
Spelling error

Well, so much for not destroying Tommy too much. After last night, he's absolutely broken.

I don't think he'll die in the end, however I think they'll kill off at least 1, maybe 2 more people before the final episode.  Tommy is destined to be haunted forever, living a long life of loss. To kill him off would give him peace, and in some way a 'happy ever after', but that's not the way of Steve Knight.

Spoiler

Loved Ada stepping up and into Tommy and Polly's shoes. She's remained distant from the business for so long but last night she got a taste and you could tell she loved it. More importantly, she was good at it. Well played Sophie Rundle.

RIP Ruby.

Also, having Diana Mitford and Gina in the same room was too much. And we've got Linda coming back soon. Who put a gypsy curse on me to achieve such bad luck?