Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Semper Fortis

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

While the team investigates the cause of a hit and run accident that resulted in the death of a Petty Officer, Gibbs searches for a way to clear a veteran Navy Hospital Corpsman after she's indicted for illegally providing medical aid to the victims of the crash.

VIRGINIA "GOOD SAMARITAN" LAW

CHAPTER 493

Section 8.01-225 of the Code of Virginia

PERSONS RENDERING EMERGENCY CARE,OBSTETRICAL SERVICES

EXEMPT FROM LIABILITY.

Persons rendering emergency care, obstetrical services exempt from liability

A. Any person who:

1. In good faith, renders emergency care or assistance, without compensation, to any ill or injured person at the scene of an

accident, fire, or any life-threatening emergency, or en route therefrom to any hospital, medical clinic or doctor's office, shall not be liable for any civil damages for acts or omissions resulting from the rendering of such care or assistance.

This was in VA, right? If she's not a licensed professional, she falls under good faith Samaritan law, which exists in VA (though apparently not all states).

Edited by CoyoteBlue
  • Love 3

I was very pleasantly surprised (and very happy) to see Salli Richardson-Whitfield back as Carrie Clark-- I like her as an actress, I liked her former appearance on the show, and I like her chemistry with Gibbs. The Navy Corpsman on the either hand, wow, did she remind me of Blake Lively-- at least in the way she spoke.

I sound redundant these days, but I thought this was another good episode. Although some of the aid she delivered might have been outside the purview of the Good Samaritan Law, it would have at least been nice if they brought it up by name instead of just harping on the "she didn't have a license" instead of just ignoring it altogether. At least there was also some realism to her sentence-- she didn't get off scot-free, but also didn't have to go to jail.

Not gonna lie, I cracked up when Bishop said "ewww, to each other?!" when McGee revealed he and Abby had dated. Even though it was in the men's room, I did like Bishop confronting McGee and Tony about keeping secrets and leaving her out. And I liked McGee actually defending Burt to Abby and not being jealous of their relationship.

• Love 4

Good Samaritan Law, it would have at least been nice if they brought it up by name

I agree with this. I really wished they had some line about how the Good Samaritan Law doesn't apply because she put in a trach tube. I think a lot of people are aware of those laws and may have been wondering why it didn't apply. It was good to show that sometimes what training you get in the military doesn't cross over into civilian life. I've seen articles about all of the different skills that military men and women have, but they don't get recognized for them in the civilian world. 

• Love 1

Abby/McGee has been known for years, right? I thought it was common knowledge.

Another meh episode for me. Not too much "mystery", I felt, last few episodes. It seemed like they were again dealing more with the person and the issue rather than the whodunit. The actual investigation was pretty linear A-B-C without any red-herrings or twists.

For the second week in a row the show made me cry, this time when JB's father said his son was all he had.  I don't know the name of the actor playing the father but his subtlety during the scene really moved me.

Salli Richardson-Whitfield is gorgeous.  She might be my new girl crush.

I liked how kind and compassionate Gibbs was toward Anna and it keeps seeming, at least to me, that he's becoming more of a father-like figure to various secondary characters moreso than usual.

All in all a very good episode.  And yay for whatshisname for bringing Abby flowers at the end.

• Love 1

The Army, Air Force and Navy consolidated medical training a few years ago. They are all trained at Ft. Sam Houston. My son went through corpsman A school there about 3 years ago. I believe the Army and Air Force training includes the testing necessary for civilian certification. The Navy doesn't. So even though my son was the equivilant of a basic EMT he could not work as one, or use his medial training in the civilian world. Anna would have had more training than A school as she was a combat medic, probably went to C school and training with the Marines. My son served 6 years in the Navy and was discharged earlier this year and is now attending college.

• Love 2

Also tickled to see Salli Richardson-Whitfield. I find her genuinely likable, and Gibbs needs an interest who's not a hypercompetitive (with him, at any rate) distaff version of himself. I hope she sticks around. 

It's just amazing what wildly divergent women feel the need to express themselves about not being privy to the private business of their coworkers which is none of their damn business by invading the men's room and making indignant speeches where they get all righteous about their inappropriate behavior in NCIS world. The Zivacization of Bishop continues apace. 

• Love 4

Also tickled to see Salli Richardson-Whitfield. I find her genuinely likable, and Gibbs needs an interest who's not a hypercompetitive (with him, at any rate) distaff version of himself. I hope she sticks around. 

When Gibbs said something to the effect that he was sorry his father never met Carrie I wondered if they were going in a romantic direction.  If so I approve.

• Love 1

who was the guy that Gibbs was talking to in the diner before Carrie arrived?  I'm sure it was someone significant at least in the real world.

I mostly enjoyed the episode except for how they tried to make Fairfax county appear more rural than it actually is.  Its one of the largest metropolitan counties (I used to live there) and their police force is pretty large.  And they wear gray uniforms.  

• Love 1

I also was waiting for some sort of explanation for why Anna's actions weren't covered under the Good Samaritan Law (I started to question that when I saw previews). Initially I thought that the storyline would be taking place on federal property, where the Good Samaritan Law doesn't apply, but that wasn't the case. I logic'd myself into accepting that her actions went beyond the basic first aid that is covered by the Good Samaritan Law, but I still think the writers dropped the ball by not giving it a nod.

So, is Park Ranger Bert going to turn out to be an evil killer or a super spy or something else that totally wrecks his relationship with Abby? Right now they are making him too good to be true.

• Love 2

St. Claire

The tracheotomy she gave one of the victims is beyond basic first aid.

Linderhill 

The guy Gibbs was talking to was Ray Mabus, Secretary of the Navy

and re:  Fairfax County, I agree about that.  I know there is some rural in the western part, but it's basically city/suburban

Edited by jennifer6973

I mostly enjoyed the episode except for how they tried to make Fairfax county appear more rural than it actually is.  Its one of the largest metropolitan counties (I used to live there) and their police force is pretty large.  And they wear gray uniforms.  

My only real complaint with the show is it can often be sloppy from a geography perspective.  Details such as having mountains/hills visible in the background of what is supposed to be the Metro DC area or forgetting how urban Fairfax County actually is are minor disappointments in a show where I would expect more.

• Love 1

So, either Abby left a very personal document just laying around her lab or McGee snooped through her desk and found it. Either way, he not only read this document that was none of his business, he made a copy and shared it with other people who had no right to the information. And none of those people said, "You invaded her privacy, McGee. Delete it and forget it." Instead, they memorized some of the information so they would be able to monitor the progress of Abby's relationships. That's bad form and not a little creepy. These people need to learn about boundaries.

• Love 2
The tracheotomy she gave one of the victims is beyond basic first aid.

I think, technically, that the Good Samaritan Law only covers not being liable for damages related to the medical service provided (as opposed to protecting from an overzealous charge of practicing medicine without a license). So she did break the law in a way that is not consistent with Good Samaritan protection. But my point was that we viewers should not have to contort our logic to make the storyline make sense. The writers should just have acknowledged the Good Samaritan provision, which would have bugged many of us so much less. It was a heavy-handed way of bringing attention to the difference between Navy Corpsmen and other branches' emergency responders in terms of civilian recognition.

• Love 1
So, either Abby left a very personal document just laying around her lab or McGee snooped through her desk and found it. Either way, he not only read this document that was none of his business, he made a copy and shared it with other people who had no right to the information. And none of those people said, "You invaded her privacy, McGee. Delete it and forget it." Instead, they memorized some of the information so they would be able to monitor the progress of Abby's relationships. That's bad form and not a little creepy. These people need to learn about boundaries.

Given that personal boundaries don't really seem to exist on this show, I can't get too worked up over this. The team is constantly in each other's business (especially Tony, c'mon) and in real life, there is usually a much more distinct boundary between your professional and personal lives-- but in the 12 years this show has been on, that boundary has been very fluid, to say the least.

When Gibbs said something to the effect that he was sorry his father never met Carrie I wondered if they were going in a romantic direction.  If so I approve.

I would totally be on board with this too.

Didn't Ziva often confront Tim & Tony in the men's room?

She did, but I was mainly trying to point out that I liked Bishop confronting Tim and Tony over their keeping secrets (and basically excluding her from an inside joke that they all knew about, including Gibbs it seems).

Yes to everything already stated...

Yes, they needed to acknowledge the Good Samaritan Law (I coped with the question by assuming VA didn't have it) since their approach would make viewers who don't know about it terrified to ever lend any assistance. (and also because it was just bad screenwriting since thinking about it takes the viewer out of the story)

Yes to Fairfax not being the backwater. eyeroll.

Yes to hunky BF bring Abby flowers... BLACK flowers. I'll bet that one of her list items is that flowers must be black. I'm also betting that McGee gave the bf a head's up on that. I'd also like to add that I'm so happy that McGee is now supporting Abby getting involved because he used to get all jealous and weird about it.

On that note.. Dear Show: Please bring back Delilah!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

So they suspected the race car driver because he was in a fight with the guy who survived the crash, but the race car driver wasn’t the one that caused the accident. So what was the motive for the real killer to run the car off the road? For that matter, why did he feel the need to kill the race car driver?

thanks jennifer6973, I knew it had to be someone important.  I missed the very beginning and actually tuned in on that scene.  

I mostly accept when the PTB try to convince viewers that there are cliffs in Virginia Beach and that going to Norfolk is only 15 min. away but the whole Fairfax rural thing just was a new misstep.  I was shocked that the ONE officer that we saw from FFX was from there  since their police force is huge and wide spread (and wear gray uniforms).  They have their own forensic lab, crime scene techs, etc.  I've known quite a few officers and former officers.  The county PD is well known as a good place for young officers to start their careers.  If they'd had it take place in Prince William, or Louden or Faqueir county, that I could have bought as that rural an area.  

I'm glad Abby is giving Bert the Park Policeman a second chance.  I hope that they let him stick around a little longer.  

I'm looking forward to us meeting Bishop's husband next week.

So they suspected the race car driver because he was in a fight with the guy who survived the crash, but the race car driver wasn’t the one that caused the accident. So what was the motive for the real killer to run the car off the road? For that matter, why did he feel the need to kill the race car driver?

I am wondering the same. It seemed like they were just getting Race Car Driver's friend for killing RCD/faking the suicide, but I missed how he was connected to the original accident.

I am wondering the same. It seemed like they were just getting Race Car Driver's friend for killing RCD/faking the suicide, but I missed how he was connected to the original accident.

He served in the navy with JB and was dishonorably discharged due to drug possession, and JB was the one who turned him in.

He served in the navy with JB and was dishonorably discharged due to drug possession, and JB was the one who turned him in.

Thanks - I must have missed that part.

As to the unprofessional work conduct - I pretty much have just let that one go and pretend that it's totally normal which I think is necessary to the enjoyment of the show because nobody on the show has any boundaries, whatsoever. I laughed awkwardly at Bishop's line "with each other?!" about McGee/Abby dating.

I know they said something about his holding a grudge about the drug thing, but I still think it netted out to 'for reasons' - just like even if it was a small town, there's just no way in hell anyone in law enforcement would get away with putting down a caltrop strip on a public road on the assumption that the bad guy would be the first one by, much less "the only road out of town."

I don't really watch this show for the logic.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Finally saw this last night and add me to the list of people whose eyes rolled so very hard at the description of Fairfax County. That place Is a veritable metropolitan area, the few times I went there, to assist at trials when I was temping a few years ago.

I think Hollywood really really, FUCKS up when it comes to portraying the MD/DC/VA area. Just see my rant in the Scarecrow & Mrs. King thread about how they totally fucked that up.

Ahem.

I really enjoyed this, but the "she broke the law" got old, real quick, real fast.

And it was great to see ELISA!!!!!* I've always loved her! The actress, that is.

*Gargoyles reference, where she played NY Detective Elisa Maza. The best animated cop EVAH.

• Love 1

How not rural is Fairfax County?  I lived there for twelve years, and I got so used to street lights on every street, highway, thruway, or alley, that I mostly forgot how to use my hi-beams.  There is no true rural there, and no small one-horse one road out of town towns.  And the only road out of small one-horse towns is usually two-lane plus shoulders.

But hell, this office responds to crimes in Norfolk, which has its own NCIS office.  They can drive tens of miles in the Greater Washington Area in tens of minutes.  Every enlisted Navy & Marine can afford a really nice house (usually a bungalow).  Hollywood nevers gives a damn about this stuff.

• Love 2

I wish the character of Bert had a different name.  Isn't Bert the name of Abby's stuffed hippo?  That's what I keep thinking of whenever I hear that name.

I liked the return of Carrie as well, but she seems a bit young for Gibbs.  She reminds me a lot of Cassie Yates.  I'd definitely like to see Carrie return, but she seems more age-appropriate for Tony than she does for Gibbs.

The Good Samaritan law has already been covered in the thread, but what really made no sense to me was the fact that if you were a coreman in the Air Force or Army, your training made you certified in the state of VA, but this didn't apply to the Navy.  Is that really true or is that simple TV drama?  I have a difficult time believing that two military branches would be acceptable but one would not be.

• Love 1

I wish the character of Bert had a different name.  Isn't Bert the name of Abby's stuffed hippo?  That's what I keep thinking of whenever I hear that name.

I liked the return of Carrie as well, but she seems a bit young for Gibbs.  She reminds me a lot of Cassie Yates.  I'd definitely like to see Carrie return, but she seems more age-appropriate for Tony than she does for Gibbs.

The Good Samaritan law has already been covered in the thread, but what really made no sense to me was the fact that if you were a coreman in the Air Force or Army, your training made you certified in the state of VA, but this didn't apply to the Navy.  Is that really true or is that simple TV drama?  I have a difficult time believing that two military branches would be acceptable but one would not be.

Yea I got that mixed up. Thought she was talking to her stuffed hippo about things O_o.

• Love 1