Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: DC Duggars Hit the Road

I don't get the criticism of them naming a girl Davia. Maybe they prefer the feminized version to the original man's name. Maybe they don't want to mess with a "David Junior" or "Davy" situation, which can be a pain in the butt. 

• Love 3

I don't get the criticism of them naming a girl Davia. Maybe they prefer the feminized version to the original man's name. Maybe they don't want to mess with a "David Junior" or "Davy" situation, which can be a pain in the butt. 

I wasn't getting the hate for Davia either. I've heard of far worse names. Paul got David's middle name (William), and Davia has Priscilla's (Lynn). So David and Priscilla chose a pretty name that honors both parents. It was their choice to make, after all.

• Love 4

I don't care if Jana didn't want to be filmed but I can't take this charade of pretending that this was a simple family trip with Josh, Anna, and their 3 kids.

That wasn’t the first time this stunt was pulled.  On the episode where the Duggars built and raced go-carts, Jessa and Ben were tasked with taking the younger kids to an arcade.  However, when a camera panned all the way around, Jana was seen standing in the back.  She explained that she was only there as Jessa and Ben’s chaperone, so that's why her presence wasn't acknowledged.  It was all so strange.

• Love 1

I have no idea how much David interacts with his kids; it hasn't been shown on TV, to my knowledge.  And I, for one, have no issue with "Davia" and am pleased that they're not naming the baby something that starts with a "P."  :)

• Love 3

I know nothing about them. How does he treat his wife?

I dont thibk David is a bad "guy" I use that term looslyx but since he took over ATI he has to always put on this perfect image. My guess is that there's a combination of dimness and cluelessness going on, they're both kind of frustrated, but are trying hard to think and behave as they believe Jesus would want them to. The way David grew up women are suppose to give birth do housework and take care of kids. I don't think he interacts much with his kids or his wife. I just got married for the sake of getting married Edited by Darknight
  • Love 3

Davia is a lovely name; willing to bet it won't make the "Top 50 names for Girls" born in 2014.  My name for example, is extremely popular.  Every time I hear "Mom", I instinctively turn around. 

• Love 6

I have nothing against the name Davia. Sorry if it came across like that. I've never heard of it before.

Davia is a lovely name; willing to bet it won't make the "Top 50 names for Girls" born in 2014. My name for example, is extremely popular. Every time I hear "Mom", I instinctively turn around.

Me too. Even when I don't have my kids with me I will turn around. Lol.

I have nothing against the name Davia. Sorry if it came across like that. I've never heard of it before.

I'd never heard of the name Davia, either, and I have no special affection for it. It just seemed to me that people were implying that naming a daughter Davia was some sort of poor substitute for naming a son David. If they wanted to name a son David, one would think they would have done it when their first child was born. 

I know exactly what you mean, my father-in-law was David Sr. my husband David Jr and my stepson David 3rd. When I was pregnant with our first child my husband wanted David 4th. I said absolutely NOT! This has to stop here and now. I got my way and named our son Cody. But with my husbands middle name. It's just way too confusing having 3 people with the same name.lol.
  • Love 2

I know nothing about them. How does he treat his wife?

In the webisode where they introduced the baby, he swats at her, not to mention that he made her do it hours after giving birth (she looked great, btw, for just having a baby). You should watch a few of them. It's sickening.

• Love 1

That wasn’t the first time this stunt was pulled.  On the episode where the Duggars built and raced go-carts, Jessa and Ben were tasked with taking the younger kids to an arcade.  However, when a camera panned all the way around, Jana was seen standing in the back.  She explained that she was only there as Jessa and Ben’s chaperone, so that's why her presence wasn't acknowledged.  It was all so strange.

I don't think that's quite the same. It was expected that a courting couple needed a chaperone and the other children were a little. I think the point was Jessa and Ben were trying out their child raising skills for future children. If Jana had been more in the group, she might have been tempted or expected to pull some of the weight and responsibility for the little children. Her presence was acknowledged when they pulled the camera around.  They didn't totally edit her out or say she wasn't there. I think the reason for the changes is in the go-cart example the Duggars felt it was in keeping with their values to have the courting couple always chaperoned. In this episode it's not consistent with their values to acknowledge that three children are too much to handle for their parents. This is especially true given the fact that they believe birth control is evil and they are constantly looking for more. My opinion is if you're struggling with the kids you have, you should think first about having another baby. Their fans need to believe Josh and Anna can handle as many babies as they can have and to admit they need help actually caring for them contradicts that.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

If Michelle and Anna have too many children for them to care for THEMSELVES on a daily basis, they should employ live in nannies and not require siblings to act as au pairs or nannies themselves in their place. These sisters didn't "have the pleasure of conceiving them" in the first place.

• Love 2

I'm hoping Jana was along because she's dating one of Smuggar's friends as and is taking advantage of every opportunity to head out their way. Hey, a girl can dream.

Mackynzie is adorable, seriously, and she looked like a little doll in that old-fashioned dress. (Also, what was with her wearing only leggings in the RV? Total Nike, defrauding her little brothers that way.) She's smart and articulate, and it makes me sad that she'll never go to school.

Edited by Literata

Every time Josh, Anna and the kids made a stop on their way to Chicago (Gettysburg, Amish farm stand, restaurant, cow birthing center, the old fashioned picture) all I could imagine is what a sh!t show it would have been if JBoob and the rest of the gang had been there.

Of course, the thought of JBoob trying to lecture about the Civil War is quite amusing.

• Love 1

Josh and Anna's kids are so cute. Sometimes Anna makes me cringe, but for the most part, she is one of my favorites. 

I went back and watched TFDW and Priscilla wedding. Priscilla and her expressions were hard to watch (I'm mean, I know) but she did seem very happy. What the hell is with the mothers of the bride and groom wearing the same outfit? And the WTF'ery of TFDW leading the crowd in singing. It was just as good as I dreamed it would be. When I searched for the wedding another blog came up that revealed "David Waller & Priscilla Keller began courting in September, were engaged in November, and married February 4th!"

In the webisode where they introduced the baby, he swats at her, not to mention that he made her do it hours after giving birth (she looked great, btw, for just having a baby). You should watch a few of them. It's sickening.

I noticed the swatting too! I was kind of shocked actually as it is disrespectful and looked very similar to how you would shoo a dog away from your hotdog...he's a douche.
  • Love 1

I do think it's a serious case of Reality-TV-isn't real to gloss over Jana's presence on the trip, and like a lot of others in the thread I wonder why they did it (I'm leaning towards a combination of paycheck/better story/maybe Jana's wishes reasons). But I don't think Jana being on the trip means Josh and Anna can't handle the three kids. Before I learned that Jana was with them, watching this episode I was impressed because it is a long trip for Josh to do all the driving. Pretty sure we've never seen Anna drive the RV and I wouldn't be at all surprised if she can't or doesn't want to. I can see Jana being a big help with splitting driving. And it does seem like she's close to Priscilla (maybe from Gothard/JttH stuff?) so it doesn't seem too strange to me that she came along.

• Love 1

It also seemed, from the set-up that they were also taking a minivan. Obviously, the camera crew would be in a car of some sort (and Jana couldn't be alone with them, could she??) but I did wonder if she were driving behind them getting shots or taking some "Duggar cam" footage while the crew wasn't there.

I would never take a picture myself if I had as much TLC film of me and my family as the Duggars do.  I wouldn't own a camera or video cam.  My smart phone would be empty.   I once had a professor who traveled the world and never took a picture.  She just enjoyed to the fullest everything she saw and had the imprints on her memory.  It was a lesson for me, and a good one.

• Love 6

We'd all do well to photograph life less and experience it more; it's getting ridiculous!  But I'd bet that was added just to emphasize the fact that they were doing this "all on their own"....  Obviously, they could've had Jana (or even one of the crew members) take their family portraits, but -- being outnumbered by children -- Josh had to resort to selfies.  I personally get the feeling that he's not 100% on board with the deception going on.  He does it, implicitly (smiling at Aaaaanna while she spins the tales), but he does NOT look happy about it. 

• Love 1

I don't think it matters one way or the other why Jana was not filmed. It is not like she is never on the show.

I think she just did not want to be filmed, mentioned, etc., and she is old enough to make that decision. She owes nobody an explanation.

• Love 2

I don't think it matters one way or the other why Jana was not filmed. It is not like she is never on the show.

I think she just did not want to be filmed, mentioned, etc., and she is old enough to make that decision. She owes nobody an explanation.

I wonder about it only because such a huge point was made that this was their first trip "outnumbered" by children, going it alone. It is irritating to make that be the point of the story when it isn't true. I'm sure they can do it. My own young family traveled with 3 preschoolers and an 8-year-old for a 5000 mile trip through eastern Canada and down the east coast to Baltimore. It is quite doable, so why make a deal out of it. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 5

Josh and Anna's kids are so cute. Sometimes Anna makes me cringe, but for the most part, she is one of my favorites. 

I went back and watched TFDW and Priscilla wedding. Priscilla and her expressions were hard to watch (I'm mean, I know) but she did seem very happy. What the hell is with the mothers of the bride and groom wearing the same outfit? And the WTF'ery of TFDW leading the crowd in singing. It was just as good as I dreamed it would be. When I searched for the wedding another blog came up that revealed "David Waller & Priscilla Keller began courting in September, were engaged in November, and married February 4th!"

OMG they started courting in Sept and were engaged by Nov? (married in Feb) this is unbelievable! it almost sounds like a quickie wedding lol!

I don't think its going to end well for Pris to be married to a gay man. Nothing against gay people, but where is she going to end up if he ever decides to come out? It seems all her friends and family were OK with her marrying him, as rushed as that was, and look at him! With friends like that who needs enemies? The poor girl acts like the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top, and no one family member or friend stopped her from this? I hope he isn't a jerk, but already I hear how he swatted at her, made her make a video shortly after giving birth etc. It could become abusive. I really hope not, but maybe she can confide in her sister if things get ugly.Josh to the rescue? I feel horrible thinking that poor girl has no one to help her.

Edited by maraleia
capitalization matters