Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: DC Duggars Hit the Road

"Couldn't one of the sisters lend them a gift card?"

Tem- per- ence!! That's hilarious.

I really like Anna. I wish she were my friend in real life. Also, I think she looks great. They'd make good polygamists. Just, um, throwing that out there. I'll go have a seat now.

• Love 3

I really like Anna. I wish she were my friend in real life. Also, I think she looks great. They'd make good polygamists. Just, um, throwing that out there. I'll go have a seat now.

Haha, I'd totally be Anna's sister wife if we could swap the husband out for someone else. 

• Love 4

I know I said before that Anna doesn't look pregnant right now, but now that I watched that episode and saw all of Anna's TH segments play out in the mustard sweater and pink infinity scarf...EXCEPT ONE!!! I am pretty sure that they spliced that TH segment in, since it wasn't mentioned again, but will be revisited on next week's episode. They visited TFDW months ago (Pris's due date is the 15th of this month, IIRC. No way Anna is 5-ish months pregnant right now. BUT TLC could have moved the airdate of this special to announce a pregnancy, since it wasn't associated with any other timeline aside from Prissy's pregnancy, and most of the fans don't really care about the Wallers. This could have easily been holiday filler, or build-up episodes for NEXT season.

The TH Anna did in a totally different outfit that was never seen again talking about pregnancy sold me. I think she's in her late first trimester when she wouldn't be showing much beyond her usual not-so-toned abs. 

• Love 1

My brother took his family to watch a calf being birthed at Fair Oaks Farm on their way someplace else. He and his wife thought it was a depressing experience, since they separate mother cow and calf right after birth. Leave minus the cleave, I guess.

Fair Oaks does serve a mighty fine grilled cheese sandwich if you're in the neighborhood.

• Love 1

Well as much as this episode sucked at least we have something to look forward to next week. Drumroll please...It's the Fabulous David Waller!!!!....cha cha cha.....

Also what the fuck is the point of camping in Chicago? All the wonderful museums, restaurants, historical sites, shopping and tourist attractions and they're going to do the same shit that Josh, Anna and the kids already did on the drive out there? The kids would have a hell of a lot more fun at Navy Pier than they would sitting in an RV for the umpteenth day in a row. 

• Love 6

Kind of funny they were defending "Devil's Den". I can imagine the kids repeating that to their under schooled family after the trip.

Hubs walked in when Anna was announcing the "gender reveal" party and seemed a bit horrified at what that could mean. And he's from Arkansas.

• Love 1

Yes, AnnieGirl! I love that Mackynzie and Michael actually have real dialogue during their TH segments, rather than saying the same line louder than the other. When asked about the RV, Mackynzie could actually verbalize what happened, how it made her feel, and her thoughts/fears about the situation. Can you imagine them getting Josie to do that? Or even Jordyn?

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 10

Well as much as this episode sucked at least we have something to look forward to next week. Drumroll please...It's the Fabulous David Waller!!!!....cha cha cha.....

Also what the fuck is the point of camping in Chicago? All the wonderful museums, restaurants, historical sites, shopping and tourist attractions and they're going to do the same shit that Josh, Anna and the kids already did on the drive out there? The kids would have a hell of a lot more fun at Navy Pier than they would sitting in an RV for the umpteenth day in a row. 

Downtown Chicago has way too much culture for the Duggars and way too many NIKE moments that their little pea brains couldn't handle. 

I'm sad that we have to wait one more week for TFDW to make an appearance. I was hoping we would be here all day snarking on him and Prissy. Oh well I guess we'll have to wait til next week. 

Garrett's popcorn will be a must for next week's viewing and a deep dish pizza. YUM!

• Love 2

Why are these people so fucking dramatic about motion sickness? I mentioned this some time ago in the 'Annoying Things Duggars Do' thread. We know. We know. At least once every 2 episodes we're reminded of this disease that plagues them. And occasionally treated to flashback scenes of them puking into brown paper bags. Josh was worried that Michael would get motion sick. Why worry about it ahead of time? Just go and have fun. Much like Duggar-time, we're reminded how "cute" these little inflictions are. Like they're the only ones in the world to get motion sick. It's too early to get my snark on, but my annoyance level is turned up to 11 right now.

I don't know why Anna looks like she's always trying to hold in her spittle when talking. Like she's a heavy salivator in general. 

All in all, I think this move to D.C. was the best thing to ever happen to the Smugs. They get to see the world different. 5 years ago you wouldn't catch them at a fair (and not just because they have motion sickness).  They'd be holding their purses, giving the carnie's evil side eye and being mentally robbed by the kids of people at fairs.

• Love 4

I can't believe they left Jana out! Haha, that's so hilarious and unnecessary.

But the best part of this episode was watching Mackynzie cry over the dead RV. I'm going to Hell because I laughed and laughed...

How stupid was he to wait until everything was packed to start the RV to see if it worked.  They spent all that time cleaning it, but didn't bother to test drive - what a buffon!!

Edited by JerseyGirl
  • Love 5

Yeah, the motion sickness thing bugs me too.  I wonder if they didn't say anything if it just wouldn't have happened in most of the kids (not the plane ride though, that would totally get people sick).  Took DS and a friend on a short day trip a couple of years ago. Parents warned me that he gets severely car sick.  Didn't have a single problem with him - but he goes anywhere with his parents he gets sick.  Hmmm.

• Love 2

Someone HAS to fill me in on David Waller and why he is such a snark fave on this board. Even has his own acronym! He must be special as all get out!

Edited to let you know i found the blog and mention of him in the fellowship thread. Oh MY! as George Takei says * wink*

Edited by MarysWetBar

I liked watching the talking heads segment with Anna and Mykenzie.  Anna was telling her how she was born..." (paraphrasing)and you looked over and saw Daddy..." and she threw herself into her moms arms. Adorable! Anna acts like a real mother does.That's my impression, she loves her kids and it shows. Shes a hands on mom. Good for her!

although, to be fair, I think Michelle was probably a hands on mom too, until she couldn't cope anymore. Then she checked out. I can't decide if she lost her last marble or found some happy pills, but Anna is much healthier to stay within her comfort zone and have only as many as she can handle.

• Love 6

Given that the Bates' name their children after Confederate generals, I was glad to see they stop at a Civil War battlefield where it is clear that the North not only won, but essentially turned the tide of Lee's northern Army. (Unlike Anna, I'm married to a real amateur historian who actually could do lectures. He and his friend walk Gettysburg at least twice a year.)

Pretty stupid to pretend Jana wasn't there. Shows that this isn't "reality" TV at all. It's just as scripted as all the rest.

• Love 1

I was glad to see Smuggar and Smugette featured tonight. I just don't think I can take Boob and Michelle any more. After they posted the creepy FB photo of them kissing like Benessa, I lost all respect for them. 

TFDW is going to be quite a treat in next week's episode. I can hardly wait!

• Love 2

I'm not happy to hear that it was filmed and edited to cut out Jana.  My evil side says to see that only Smuggars get paid.  Cheap TLC. 

BTW, Josh was being paid to eat the doughnut burger.  It was probably suggested by production.

• Love 3

what is TFDW?  :-) please?

He is Pris's husband - The Fabulous David Waller. Twinkle toes. Probably would have been openly gay and proud of it if allowed into mainstream America. 

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 7

Anna must be single-handedly keeping the pregnancy test industry in business.  Obsessed much?  Caught her admission on an old rerun recently that she's "very competitive."  Ya think?  The "we're happy with what we have" is so much defense mechanism; she walks like she's pregnant because she wants very much to be pregnant.  I like Josh a lot; he's intelligent and genuinely sensitive and caring, and I'll bet he feels lost without that big, supportive family around.  Moving was Aaaaaaaaana's idea, probably in hopes of getting her own spin-off show.  Never could stand her, and now she's got the big head, besides.  Both older kids are adorable (the youngest, Marcus, looks too much like Mr. Keller for my taste), but someone needs to make 'Kynzie quit interrupting and talking over poor Michael (reminiscent of both Jill and Derrick and Hannie and Jackson; is that a thing in this family?).  Not every question is the female's to answer, necessarily.  And Michael was right: those people WERE Mennonite and not Amish!

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 3

I have seen the donut burger on several news shows. It does not look good but it is the newest fad.

It's actually REALLY good!  Sweet and salty; mmmm.  Anna has quite the snobbish sense of superiority about it, however...

Their terrible car seat installs (technically not even safe or tested in a rv anyways) along with the kids buckled so loosely and the unpredictability or the rv had me pretty worried for the kids.

Did those poor kids HAVE to be strapped in one position for five days of road travel?  No wonder they had 'energy to burn.'  I'm surprised they didn't get blood clots.  Seriously, is that the law?  I thought you were free to move around inside an RV.  Isn't that kind of the whole point of them?  The new "singing family on the bus" isn't strapped down -- not even the twin infants.

Finally, if it's true that poor Jana was along to help "Super-Mom Anna/Michelle 2.0" with her mere three kids (and she lied about it, besides, with the "outnumbered" remark), that is beyond terrible.

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 2
Maybe Anna will give birth in straw next time instead of a toilet.

Well, she's given birth in their bed, their toilet and a kiddie pool, so yeah, straw could be next. 

Anna was wearing a (somewhat) slim fitting black dress in the Jessa/Bin wedding photos, which were taken two weeks ago. I think that the pregnancy test is just a tease. Personally. I'd prefer to see the two of them prove that they have minds of their own and AVOID having a child. They have three adorable ones and it's still somewhat manageable. Sort of. They did need to call the free Jana-Nanny as back-up.

Watching them morph into Josh's cray-cray parents is not what I want to watch. 

• Love 3

I don't think moving to DC was Anna's decisions at all.  I think Josh always wanted to be more than owner of a car lot and living in NW Arkansas.  But I do think that having already made an enormous move, that Anna helped him make it possible to get away from his own family, and I'm glad, because it's made a world of difference in both of their lives.  (Even if I don't personally like his job.)

• Love 9

I don't think moving to DC was Anna's decisions at all.  I think Josh always wanted to be more than owner of a car lot and living in NW Arkansas.  But I do think that having already made an enormous move, that Anna helped him make it possible to get away from his own family, and I'm glad, because it's made a world of difference in both of their lives.  (Even if I don't personally like his job.)

I base this primarily on my slow-motion viewing of the rerun in which Josh announces "their" decision.  Anna has the biggest canary-eating grin on her face, while poor Joyless begins to break down in tears.  It was clear when they said their final goodbyes that Josh wasn't happy about leaving his family, although he may have thought it necessary.  Anna also made remarks alluding to the fact that it was now HER turn to be geographically closer to her family of origin or at least Josh's turn to also be geographically distant from his.

• Love 1

Bigskygirl where did you get that episode description? The grammar is all over the place LOL,

I'm guessing it must be from TLC's crack promotions & PR depts. 

I got it from my internet service main page (tv listing site.) *lol*

Oh dear. Now these businesses aren't even requiring community college graduates. Looks like they'll take high school or maybe less. With apologies to all CC & HS graduates who passed their English finals...

• Love 2

Geml.... too bad my daughter can't meet your husband. She is a huge history buff and loves the Civil War (studying it - not war itself :-) )

Wish we could meet!  It would get to point where we would drive down the road and stop suddenly and my son would say, "Oh no, not another historical plaque!"  Virginia, of course, is covered with them.  I think we've been to just about every battlefield at least once.

As I said, I think Anna was glad to go, but I also think her happiness was due to knowing her husband and what he wanted out of life and being able to emotionally help him accomplish it.  There are a lot of women he could have married who wouldn't have been able to pick up and leave the Duggar family.  We all knock on Anna for having the Duggar sisters in her Maryland home so often, but there are plenty of women who would have said to Josh, "Look, if you want me to have all these babies, I'll need to be around your family to help."  But Anna didn't say that.  She was excited to go.  And this was an amazing chance for Josh -- a chance to do what he dreamed of doing with a backdoor opening for someone who has nothing more than a GED.  This is a once-in-a-life type of job for him.  He wouldn't get too many other chances.  

It's clear that he's close to his parents.  He's the oldest child, and the only one who actually had anything approaching a normal life for a few years.  (And it shows in his entire demeanor.)  And no doubt it was an enormous moment in his life to become truly apart from a family as intertwined as the Duggars, and he couldn't have done it without Anna.  But he cheered up pretty quickly and went to work at his dream job.

• Love 5

Finally, if it's true that poor Jana was along to help "Super-Mom Anna/Michelle 2.0" with her mere three kids (and she lied about it, besides, with the "outnumbered" remark), that is beyond terrible.

Yeah, this news makes me crazy too. Unless Jana really wanted to be there, that's awful. I often did day trips with my niece and nephew - from age 2 onward - and never wished I had another adult along to help. I realize day trips are different, and 2 kids are a little different from 3. But there were 2 adults in the RV. Anna wasn't alone. So basically Josh and Anna are saying "the two of us can't handle our own 3 kids without help?" Can't handle 'em? Shouldn't have had 'em.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 7

Someone HAS to fill me in on David Waller and why he is such a snark fave on this board. Even has his own acronym! He must be special as all get out!

Edited to let you know i found the blog and mention of him in the fellowship thread. Oh MY! as George Takei says * wink*

I don't know if you have found the YouTube video of David and Priscilla's wedding, but it is a must-see.  Fast forward to the scenes of David conducting the audience in singing from the stage.  It's jaw-dropping.

• Love 4

My theory on Jana not being shown is because Jim Bob and MIchelle weren't on this episode, it was all about Josh and Anna. So, if Jim Bob and MIchelle aren't being paid, no way is his unmarried daughter getting her own paycheck. Probably the same reason we didn't see Amy or Deanna talk at Jill's wedding, if somebody gets camera time, they have to be paid. Can't have that, with Jim Bob and Michelle steering the ship (I mean show!)

• Love 2

Yeah, this news makes me crazy too. Unless Jana really wanted to be there, that's awful. I often did day trips with my niece and nephew - from age 2 onward - and never wished I had another adult along to help. I realize day trips are different, and 2 kids are a little different from 3. But there were 2 adults in the RV. Anna wasn't alone. So basically Josh and Anna are saying "the two of us can't handle our own 3 kids without help?" Can't handle 'em? Shouldn't have had 'em.

Any family that's filming a reality show SHOULD have extra help on hand for the kids. Its a distracting time for the parents and not a normal situation for the family and particularly when travelling the extra help is for the safety of the kids. Several of the Real Housewives admit to extra help while filming that they don't normally have.

• Love 2

Well, it's "normal" for any TLC family!  Only...  Admit it.  Don't say "we're outnumbered" when, in fact, there were three children and three adults, with Jana... And that's not including the crew who, I'm sure, helps keep an eagle eye on the kids. 

• Love 3

So Anna's lip service about being happy with what she has was just that, since she's taken "so many" pregnancy tests since Marcus was born.

Josh looks freaking awful. Anna has reason to be worried about him and his health.

Mack and Mike are the cutest kids ever. Mack especially is so well-spoken and seems to be a sponge. Poor little sister mom-to-be. I actually pray god doesn't bless josh and Anna with as many blessings as they selfishly would have just to spare her.

Are we 100% sure Jana was on that trip? Because I can't even watch this with the bizarre pretending she's not there. WTF? And a TH stating it's their first family trip alone? Why? It's so strange it doesn't even make sense. Did they tell Jana at the time, "hey we're gonna film this as if it's just josh and Anna so can u like, stand over there for 1/2 hour?" They ate at the chicken place at a table set for 5. I guess Jana ate in the RV? Was Jana really there the whole time? I don't understand?!

I guess she's been demoted from Cinderella to non-existent.

• Love 3

I'm a little out of it because I don't know who the Wallers are. But I did bring up the YouTube video of the wedding as suggested above (yikes on the groom directing the singing). Anyway - who are these guys to the Duggars? JB is up there on the alter praying with them. Is he the official Sex-granting Fundie or is he related to the Wallers somehow?

• Love 1

Well, she's given birth in their bed, their toilet and a kiddie pool, so yeah, straw could be next. 

Anna was wearing a (somewhat) slim fitting black dress in the Jessa/Bin wedding photos, which were taken two weeks ago. I think that the pregnancy test is just a tease. Personally. I'd prefer to see the two of them prove that they have minds of their own and AVOID having a child. They have three adorable ones and it's still somewhat manageable. Sort of. They did need to call the free Jana-Nanny as back-up.

Watching them morph into Josh's cray-cray parents is not what I want to watch. 

Agree, Anna is not yet pregnant. Just another tease. For one thing, if it was true, I don't think they could keep it quiet that long. This program is becoming one tease after another, because there just isn't much real content left to show. Granted there are still a slew of kids to "graduate" - and court - and marry - and pop out grandkids. But how interested will the public, even their fans, remain? Unless we start to see some real rebelling in the second generation - or Mechelle gets pregnant - I think "19K&C" has begun creaking to a halt.

So Anna's lip service about being happy with what she has was just that, since she's taken "so many" pregnancy tests since Marcus was born.

Josh looks freaking awful. Anna has reason to be worried about him and his health.

Mack and Mike are the cutest kids ever. Mack especially is so well-spoken and seems to be a sponge. Poor little sister mom-to-be. I actually pray god doesn't bless josh and Anna with as many blessings as they selfishly would have just to spare her.

Are we 100% sure Jana was on that trip? Because I can't even watch this with the bizarre pretending she's not there. WTF? And a TH stating it's their first family trip alone? Why? It's so strange it doesn't even make sense. Did they tell Jana at the time, "hey we're gonna film this as if it's just josh and Anna so can u like, stand over there for 1/2 hour?" They ate at the chicken place at a table set for 5. I guess Jana ate in the RV? Was Jana really there the whole time? I don't understand?!

Jana was there. There are pictures to prove it look on the Pickles and Hairspray FB page.

• Love 1

I believe Josh and Anna both wanted the move to DC. But I also think Anna had to do some fancy talkin' to convince Josh that they [really he] could swing life without Ma & Pa down the road.

I'm a little out of it because I don't know who the Wallers are. But I did bring up the YouTube video of the wedding as suggested above (yikes on the groom directing the singing). Anyway - who are these guys to the Duggars? JB is up there on the alter praying with them. Is he the official Sex-granting Fundie or is he related to the Wallers somehow?

David Waller our little ray of sunshine is married to Anna Keller Duggar's sister Priscilla Keller Waller. 

Any family that's filming a reality show SHOULD have extra help on hand for the kids. Its a distracting time for the parents and not a normal situation for the family and particularly when travelling the extra help is for the safety of the kids. Several of the Real Housewives admit to extra help while filming that they don't normally have.

This makes sense. But then why hide the fact that Jana was there? Kate Gosselin was always loudly upfront - to the point of demanding - help for trips. No, the Duggars want you to believe they can handle it themselves.

• Love 1

I wonder whether there was confusion with another rv trip on the Duggar page in which you see Jana driving the RV during the night. Just my thought. 

Okay, I was clearly too generous to the Duggars, Jana must have been on this trip because there she is at the indiana State Fair. Until now I sort of thought they were sincere within the constraints of filming. But Anna's emphasis upon what an adventure it would be with just the five members of their family traveling alone (photo crew being a given) is just so morally wrong, IMO. Hide Jana and say nothing and I'm fine. Do this and I'm not going to accept you are an honorable person, Anna Duggar. So there.

Edited by mbutterfly

I had never seen the Priscilla-David wedding either, except for snippets here and there.  Holy moly, the MOB and MOG are wearing "twin" outfits! That's a first for me.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

This makes sense. But then why hide the fact that Jana was there? Kate Gosselin was always loudly upfront - to the point of demanding - help for trips. No, the Duggars want you to believe they can handle it themselves.

Oh, I so agree with you that it should have been shown. The fun part is figuring out why they didn't show Jana but I'm glad they had help and can't fault them for that part of it..

• Love 1

I wonder whether there was confusion with another rv trip on the Duggar page in which you see Jana driving the RV during the night. Just my thought.

Nah, there are pictures of Jana at the Indiana State Fair (and that farm, I think) with Anna and Josh, and Anna and Josh and kids are wearing the same clothes in those pictures that they are in the show footage. Nope, Jana was there and they cut her out. Probably why all 3 car seats were lined up on one bench seat in the RV - I'm sure Jana was sitting on the other side, behind Josh.

• Love 1