Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: DC Duggars Hit the Road

David Waller: he "married his best friend" (Priscilla).  But apparently holds quite an important position in Chicago.  These amazing big cities are wasted on the wrong people!

and he treats her like crap. I hate those video blogs he makes her do. Its painful to watch so I stopped visiting their various media.

• Love 3

Ah, okay! Thanks.  I somehow missed those posts.

I have no idea why she wasn't filmed, but I am always glad to see Jana get out of the compound. It seem that she and Anna might be getting to be very close friends, which I think is good for both of them.

• Love 1

I understand why Jana wasn't filmed, but I don't like the idea of PRETENDING she wasn't there.

And Jim Bob was on stage because it's still his show and this was TFDW and Priscilla probably got not only a check but a nicer wedding.

• Love 2

One thing I liked seeing is that Josh really does know how to fix cars, and he has the patience of a saint to travel in that thing with his wife and 3 small children..if I were Anna, I'd have been freaking out. Overall, I find Josh and Anna to be much more likeable than Jim Bob and Michelle even though I'm Jim Bob's age. It must be that I'm burnt out of seeing the two of them spout the same old dialogue over and over again.

I also think it was great that they stopped at Gettysburg. Have we ever seen the Duggar family at a historical site? Josh and Anna must be more opened minded about what they show their kids than the Duggars ever were. And those costumes and old time picture turned out great.

• Love 6

As others have mentioned there are photos all over the web confirming this fact starfire. This is just another way that TLC and the Duggars shields the audience from the truth.

I would change the word shield to conceal - and then completely agree with you. 

• Love 4

One thing I liked seeing is that Josh really does know how to fix cars, and he has the patience of a saint to travel in that thing with his wife and 3 small children..if I were Anna, I'd have been freaking out. Overall, I find Josh and Anna to be much more likeable than Jim Bob and Michelle even though I'm Jim Bob's age. It must be that I'm burnt out of seeing the two of them spout the same old dialogue over and over again.

I also think it was great that they stopped at Gettysburg. Have we ever seen the Duggar family at a historical site? Josh and Anna must be more opened minded about what they show their kids than the Duggars ever were. And those costumes and old time picture turned out great.

It's funny, because my sisters and I just were saying this last night. We are all pretty much Jim Bob and Michelle's age (I'm slightly younger, and am the oldest) but we relate to the kids far more because we grew up in this in a way our parents, especially our mother, didn't.

I think it's entirely possible that Jana wanted to be there -- I would imagine it's a nice break from the TTH. It's also possible that she didn't especially want to be filmed -- she may get her fill of THs on the regular show.

I agree that the pregnancy test is a tease. They don't show pregnancy announcement on the show -- they are saved for GMA or People magazine.

Anna said something like "I've taken several pregnancy tests since Marcus was born" which I found really odd. Do they just take a pregnancy test every time they have sex? Do they not wait to miss a period or two before testing? Anna has been pregnant 4 times -- can't she recognize the changes in her body?

• Love 5

I think it's entirely possible that Jana wanted to be there -- I would imagine it's a nice break from the TTH. It's also possible that she didn't especially want to be filmed -- she may get her fill of THs on the regular show.

I agree that the pregnancy test is a tease. They don't show pregnancy announcement on the show -- they are saved for GMA or People magazine.

Anna said something like "I've taken several pregnancy tests since Marcus was born" which I found really odd. Do they just take a pregnancy test every time they have sex? Do they not wait to miss a period or two before testing? Anna has been pregnant 4 times -- can't she recognize the changes in her body?

Did Josh just say on the preview; "I decided we could take a pregnancy test"? Or something, don't remember the exact words, but "I decided"!

I imagine they do test every month. My own cycle was never consistent until my early 30's, so that isn't a given. What with the births and breast feeding it's quite possible she doesn't know her own physical cues.

You can buy pregnancy tests at the dollar store that are really accurate. I figure they are not actively using a physical birth control such as a condom or spermicide, but are doing a reverse ovulation to what JB and M were doing. Easier to test soon and know than to wait and wonder, so I get that.

• Love 2

I don't think Jana was put upon by accompanying J & A while helping out with the kids on this trip. She seems to be close to Anna and I'm guessing she's also pretty close to Priscilla since she was the only Duggar daughter chosen to be a bridesmaid in her wedding to TFDW (I am loving the acronym btw, thanks to whoever defined it upthread).

• Love 1

Anna said something like "I've taken several pregnancy tests since Marcus was born" which I found really odd. Do they just take a pregnancy test every time they have sex? Do they not wait to miss a period or two before testing? Anna has been pregnant 4 times -- can't she recognize the changes in her body

Besides all that, why does anyone feel the need to test as soon as 3 or 4 days after they ovulate?   Waiting until two weeks after your period is late seems soon enough.  It's not as if Anna has to quit smoking or drinking and wants to know immediately if she becomes pregnant.   If you wait for a couple weeks, you are less likely to get those failed pregnancy positives, since most miscarriages happen early in the pregnancy. 

I think what Josh said was 'Anna decided to take a pregnancy test'.    

I understand why Jana wasn't filmed, but I don't like the idea of PRETENDING she wasn't there.

It's even worse than Pretending.... it's lying, since they made a big point of saying this was their first trip alone as a family, and that the kids outnumbered the adults.  Really great ministry there. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4

I didn't watch the episode but here in KY we make salmon patties using canned salmon (I don't know if that's just a southern thing or not). Anyway, I've seen lots of folks put ketchup on their salmon patties, myself included.

Here in upstate New York, we use canned salmon too. Though we usually have tartar sauce, not ketchup. When I was five, I remember my Dad telling me that salmon had very small soft bones that you could actually eat. It was Friday night and Mom was using canned salmon to make salmon patties for supper. Dad took a forkful of cold pink salmon right out of the can and ate it as I watched, both fascinated and terrified. Needless to say, Dad did not choke - and I was suitably impressed. Then my Mom took the can away from him and proceeded to finish making the patties. :>)

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 3

And Jim Bob was on stage because it's still his show and this was TFDW and Priscilla probably got not only a check but a nicer wedding.

This. I don't care if Jana didn't want to be filmed but I can't take this charade of pretending that this was a simple family trip with Josh, Anna, and their 3 kids. She didn't have to be interviewed or talked about. She could have been in a background shot holding Marcus while the others rode fair rides. Anna could have mentioned what a blessing it was having her SIL to help wrangle 3 kids. And what, Jana is suddenly so uncomfortable on camera on this one particular trip she doesn't want to be filmed? But can film TH after TH with Joy about dozens of things? Please, I don't buy that at all.

Instead, we are presented with an out-right, bald-faced lie. To the point that Anna is commenting how it's their first trip alone and they wont have any help. How dare they all participate in this charade. How can they be comfortable presenting a narrative of their trip that is a complete lie? I wonder what nonsense they tell themselves to justify this kind of BS. They are complete liars and frauds.

• Love 12

It's nothing new for parents of small children on TLC to pretend that they're able to handle their kids alone when, in fact, they have nannies or grandparents or other help behind the scenes.  I'm thinking of one show in particular, but it is "they who will not be mentioned"...  So Aaaaaanna is no more or less deceptive than another popular super-mom...  As someone else said, at least Kate (and even Michelle) admit that they delegate -- and happily -- to "helpers." 

And, yes, it sounds as if Aaaaaaanna takes a pregnancy test every time they have sex (drinking game).  She was doing that from the beginning, apparently (remember Josh having to make the big reveal the first time; she was so distraught at going at it for four months without "success" that she couldn't bring herself to look at the results anymore).  I also notice that she delights in pointing out the she married before her OLDER sister and admits to being competitive.  The things you learn watching reruns!

• Love 2

Also: the first time Aaaaaanna served up baked tilapia (when Steve was "training" Josh), 'Kynzie requested ketchup on hers before even tasting it.  It looks like her mom just automatically squirts some on top now.  Would be nice if she encouraged her to try it without ketchup once, especially if she's going to turn up her nose at doughnut burgers!

• Love 1

Also: the first time Aaaaaanna served up baked tilapia (when Steve was "training" Josh), 'Kynzie requested ketchup on hers before even tasting it.  It looks like her mom just automatically squirts some on top now.  Would be nice if she encouraged her to try it without ketchup once, especially if she's going to turn up her nose at doughnut burgers!

I don't think Anna is very "creative" in the kitchen!  She is rather stumped preparing healthy food if you can't use a cookie sheet and set the oven to 375!  LOL  I noticed on this road trip they stopped for fruits and veggies which is cool and they looked amazing.  I also noticed the meal she prepared was that good old salmon with peaches recipe with the same sides as that woman showed her how to make a few epis ago.  But I guess if they liked it why not!

• Love 2

This. I don't care if Jana didn't want to be filmed but I can't take this charade of pretending that this was a simple family trip with Josh, Anna, and their 3 kids. She didn't have to be interviewed or talked about. She could have been in a background shot holding Marcus while the others rode fair rides. Anna could have mentioned what a blessing it was having her SIL to help wrangle 3 kids. And what, Jana is suddenly so uncomfortable on camera on this one particular trip she doesn't want to be filmed? But can film TH after TH with Joy about dozens of things? Please, I don't buy that at all.

Instead, we are presented with an out-right, bald-faced lie. To the point that Anna is commenting how it's their first trip alone and they wont have any help. How dare they all participate in this charade. How can they be comfortable presenting a narrative of their trip that is a complete lie? I wonder what nonsense they tell themselves to justify this kind of BS. They are complete liars and frauds.

OMG this and more this!!  I didn't know Jana was part of this road trip!   What liars!  Geez Moses must be doing a heavy eye roll right now.

It's nothing new for parents of small children on TLC to pretend that they're able to handle their kids alone when, in fact, they have nannies or grandparents or other help behind the scenes.  I'm thinking of one show in particular, but it is "they who will not be mentioned"...  So Aaaaaanna is no more or less deceptive than another popular super-mom...

So true and this is not a crime in itself but lying about it is!

• Love 1

There is nothing new about it, I agree, but when you have Jim Bob saying on Dishing with the Duggars, " This isn't a TV Show, this is our life."

Aaannnnndddd you claim repeated to hold yourself to a higher standard...well, pretending just isn't cool.

• Love 5

I didn't watch the episode but here in KY we make salmon patties using canned salmon (I don't know if that's just a southern thing or not). Anyway, I've seen lots of folks put ketchup on their salmon patties, myself included.

My mother cooked salmon patties from canned salmon my whole life while I was growing up.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I ever tasted a real salmon fillet. Maybe it's a southern thing.  I love salmon- but don't believe I have ever cooked the canned version after discovering the fresh.

I had never seen the Priscilla-David wedding either, except for snippets here and there.  Holy moly, the MOB and MOG are wearing "twin" outfits! That's a first for me.

Edited for clarity.

I don't get the matching clothing or even the color matching with Boob and MEchelle.  What I just noticed the other day, that was REALLY strange to me, was at Josh's proposal.  I think Anna and her mom had on the exact same shirt.  That is just weird.  

• Love 3

I swear I heard a Josh say he likes to get together with his brother in law David and "rim each other a little bit".

I'm sure he said "rib", but my inner 12 yr old boy prefers the first thought.

This made me giggle.

I dvr'd it and now you all are telling me we don't get the see the fabulous David Waller until next week?

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1

I consider "pretending" and "lying" the same thing, personally.  All are implying that they're accomplishing something they're not in order to garner the admiration of the viewing audience.  Only when helpers are actually shown on the show HELPING is it being really "real." 

Also, I have no doubt that Jana welcomed the opportunity to take a working vacation, and I'm sure it was just Aaaaaaaaanna's way of making it up to her for having to slave away on all of those dresses and ties and, incidentally, of making herself look like a super-mom.

For me personally, when I find out someone has lied about something, it never fails to make me wonder what ELSE they may be lying about. With the Duggars, the possibilities do seem endless, and the act of lying is made even worse because these are people who present themselves and their way of life as being better than the rest of us.

• Love 6

Did Josh just say on the preview; "I decided we could take a pregnancy test"? Or something, don't remember the exact words, but "I decided"!

That's what I heard too. Josh saying "I've decided we could take a pregnancy test..." Thought that was odd.

Update - saw a clip this afternoon on TLC just before 3 pm and Josh clearly says "I've decided you could take a pregnancy test..." Still weird.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 3

Maybe the pregnancy tests are subterfuge, so it looks to Michelle and JB like they're constantly trying for more, when they're really not. It doesn't take much to pee on a stick if you know the results will be negative, even if you have to pretend to be disappointed.

• Love 3

although, to be fair, I think Michelle was probably a hands on mom too, until she couldn't cope anymore. Then she checked out. I can't decide if she lost her last marble or found some happy pills, but Anna is much healthier to stay within her comfort zone and have only as many as she can handle.

'Then she checked out"

LOL

That's one of the few things on this thread that actually made me laugh today.

The light's on but nobody's home.

Maybe the pregnancy tests are subterfuge, so it looks to Michelle and JB like they're constantly trying for more, when they're really not. It doesn't take much to pee on a stick if you know the results will be negative, even if you have to pretend to be disappointed.

They have to keep on constantly teasing their rapt audience, cause they just know how excited we get to hear yet another expecting or gender reveal! Oh we just can't wait for mo' baby, mo' baby, mo' baby!

It's not like they do much of anything else.

• Love 2

Well here's my 2 cents:

If that Gothard compound is about 30 minutes away from Chicago then is it possible that Jana went along to be introduced to a potential mate within David/Priscilla's circle of friends? I don't see any other reason as to why they would make visiting David/Priscilla a 2 episode deal.  Personally, I don't care that Prissy is due to have a baby so why make this 2 episodes?

What gets me is all the traveling Josh and Anna do even though Josh has a full time job. He traveled back to Arkansas in June for Jill's wedding then to Chicago sometime in July, August or Sept and then traveled back to Arkansas for Jessa's wedding on Nov 1st. Can you imagine all that traveling with 3 kids and a FT job? He must have some sort of job agreement/contract that states he gets off whenever TLC demands it.  I don't know any employer that generous in handing out vacation time.

• Love 2

One can only hope.

What gets me is all the traveling Josh and Anna do even though Josh has a full time job. He traveled back to Arkansas in June for Jill's wedding then to Chicago sometime in July, August or Sept and then traveled back to Arkansas for Jessa's wedding on Nov 1st. Can you imagine all that traveling with 3 kids and a FT job? He must have some sort of job agreement/contract that states he gets off whenever TLC demands it.  I don't know any employer that generous in handing out vacation time.

I know!  This trip was two weeks.  I'm sure Jilly Muffin's wedding was at least a week- as well as Jessa's.  And then there are all those other little trips.  

And I agree that it was insane to stretch this out for two episodes!  They really think people want to endure Priscilla and David talking?  

• Love 1

They could be doing the wedding trips just for the weekend. Didn't we see them being picked up from the airport the day before Jillard's Big Day? They didn't have much luggage either.

Could be Joshie's also combining pleasure with business, taking a couple of meetings in the Chicago area off-cam to cut down on vacation days used. 

• Love 1

I have to admit I would rather watch Josh and Anna than Michelle and Jim Bob parent any day.  Although I was also wondering about the kids being strapped in carseats in the RV, maybe the baby I could understand but the older two?  I have friends who rented an RV for a vacation in Texas and they posted pictures of them driving around and their children were also strapped into carseats in the RV.  Is this a new law? I feel sorry for those poor kids, I loved riding in my grandmothers RV and getting to move around.

• Love 2

If Anna was pregnant, we'd know about it by now. The Duggars go to GMA with every announcement. 

I think those THs were taped later (they had different clothes on). She could very easily gotten knocked up a couple of months ago and not be showing yet...due in June...right on schedule.

It's not hard for TLC to add this stuff at a later date, especially given they already had the Smugaaaaaanna stuff already in the can.

Part of Josh's job, I'm sure, is to keep up with people like David Waller, who is now fairly powerful given that Bill Gothard has stepped down. I'm betting that while they were there, the board of the organization was meeting and Josh was meeting with them.

So Anna and Josh can't handle 3 kids alone, maybe three is a good number for them. Poor Jana but I think handling three and getting to go on a free trip is better than being at home. And we all know the Duggars are attention whores. They wouldn't just take a pregnancy test on the show without telling people magazine of Us magazine

• Love 1

THEY WERE 15 MINUTES AWAY FROM ME, AND I DIDN'T KNOW?!?!?!? I have let everyone down. I live near Gettysburg. :(

I actually liked this episode, but cut the crap about the RV. I was so sick of hearing it. And the little blurb that said they spend #400 a year fixing it? I don't believe you. It's got to be more than that. I'm curious as to how economical it is to buy an older RV and have to sink money into it, versus a newer (but not new) RV.

The kids were super cute. Kynzie in that Civil War - era dress!! So cute. And Marcus running around the biggest coffee pot melted my heart. Mikey marching around like a soldier?!?! SO CUTE! I cannot get over these children.

Other than that, not much to say that hasn't already been said.

• Love 2

Finally Gettysburg managed not to talk about death and destruction.  I don't know if it's TLC or the way the site is set up or if that's the vacation package offered for little children, but I would liked to see a little more of honoring of those who died and served versus just the canons and things were different than the old days.

You clearly don't live in G-burg, haha. Visitors are nuts. G-burg caters to what the tourists want and so death, destruction, and the incredibly specific specs on a canon are exactly what people come looking for. We have little else to offer. It keeps the town employed. I worked at an ice cream shop and people would randomly ask me questions. When I didn't know the answer, they'd scoff and say "you don't know enough about your town, why do you even live here". It's crazy.

• Love 2

I missed this episode so far.  No matter, I really wanted to see ol' TFDW again.  In one of their previous visits he couldn't keep his hands off Josh, and after falling off an ATV in the mud, grabbed Josh and wrestled with him.  His attention was all on Josh, as were his hands.

• Love 6

Part of Josh's job, I'm sure, is to keep up with people like David Waller, who is now fairly powerful given that Bill Gothard has stepped down. I'm betting that while they were there, the board of the organization was meeting and Josh was meeting with them.

ITA Josh's job revolves around keeping up with families and getting them to join whatever movement his FRC is pushing for the moment. Traveling allows him to reach out to others to get them "on board." 

As I say, you learn a lot by watching reruns...  If you don't have a life, that is!  The time the family traveled to Florida to see Pris's baby, Paul, shortly after his birth, Aaaaaaaanna AGAIN emphasized that she was both married aaaaaaaaaaaand a mother BEFORE Pris and that is was cool to be able to give her OLDER sister "baby advice."  Working up a sweat in the reproductive race much?  She also confessed that it was so much harder with two kids than one, she wondered how she was going to cope when she had six.  And good old Jessa, in a talking head (in another rerun; Josh's engagement) let it slip that Anna wants a big family.  So, yeah.  She's trying.  Totally!

I missed this episode so far.  No matter, I really wanted to see ol' TFDW again.  In one of their previous visits he couldn't keep his hands off Josh, and after falling off an ATV in the mud, grabbed Josh and wrestled with him.  His attention was all on Josh, as were his hands.

This was in the "visiting Florida to meet Paul" episode (BTW: "Paul"???).  David walked in, took one look at Josh (who had been working out with trainer Steve and dieting), and said, "You look AMAZING!"  Definitely worth sitting through the rerun for that moment, as well as the mud-wrestlng.

• Love 4