Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I’m about 30 min in watching Fit for Christmas— thought might be different but same ol’ stuff, small xmas town being taken over by big corp… bitchy girl running into cute corp guy over and over…. I’m betting there is a misunderstanding if I’m able to stick it out….not sure I’ll make it…….

I watched Menorah in the Middle on Hulu, starring Danny DeVito's daughter, who was terribly miscast, IMO. The initial setup with her engagement to Mr. Wrong was a mess too, IMO. But the last 20 minutes of the movie (a little less than a third) with Sarah Silverman was a sweet tear jerker ending.

I decided to finally watch a GAC movie because it had two of my favorite leads (Neal Bledsoe and Danica) in it since I loved their chemistry in Coming Home To Christmas. It was about them saving a drive in theater and was decent. The production level is definitely subpar compared to the Hallmark one and was a bit jarring at times, but reiterated my decision to not watch more GAC movies. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

For some reason I didn’t see this last year Single All the Way, squee it was too cute! I loved it!

1. Amazing support characters in the family members (Peter’s teenage nieces cracked me up), 2. Pretty winter scenery, 3. Luke MacFarlane, 4. The couple had chemistry, I can believe they were long time friends who had settled into a routine. It also made SENSE that Nick could move to be closer to Peter’s family (his Mom was dead, he was an author so he could work anywhere)- I appreciate it when plot lines make sense, even in my holiday films. 

• Love 3

The actress who played Peter's sister was really playing to the cheap seats in the back of the mezzanine, though. When Michael Urie seems placid and understated next to your performance, the director needs to have you dial it down a few notches.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

The actress who played Peter's sister was really playing to the cheap seats in the back of the mezzanine, though. When Michael Urie seems placid and understated next to your performance, the director needs to have you dial it down a few notches.

Which sister? The younger sister or the one who owned the pub?

My annual mourning of the move of A Charlie Brown Christmas to a streaming service.  Two fingers straight up to the brain trust at ABC for this.  I guess the “shall be to all people” part didn’t mean to them what it meant to many of us.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

UP TV had Stylin' Santa on yesterday.  The leads had chemistry but I hated that they had the guy dress up as "Stylin' Santa" and his good friend/love interest never recognized him. 

That was one twist they didn't have to do.

4 hours ago, voiceover said:

My annual mourning of the move of A Charlie Brown Christmas to a streaming service.  Two fingers straight up to the brain trust at ABC for this.

It wasn’t ABC’s decision. Their deal to air it ended and the company who owned it chose to make a new deal with Apple. 

1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

A Charlie Brown Christmas will be [briefly] available to non-Apple+ subscribers Dec. 22-25.

I glad that it’s later this year. Makes it more likely I will find the time to watch when it is free. 

On 12/3/2022 at 7:11 PM, twoods said:

Hotel for the Holidays, which is on FreeVee which is an Amazon app. They have a lot of other movies that I have to check out. And yes, he’s lovely as usual. Those dimples and smile make me melt.

Yeah, I thought this was a blah movie. Biggest sin was the so called relationship between Victor (souls chef) and chambermaid Anna. I’m supposed to believe they’re in love!?  The actors played scenes with each other as if they were new acquaintances!  I sensed more chemistry between the dog and the guy who found him!

Another ginormous eye roll was Madame Fontaine just giving the lead a 49% ownership in the hotel just.like.that!  No way IRL would an owner just give away a nearly 50% ownership stake without conditions. Just ridiculous.

Lastly, the relationship I wish they had shown more of was Kiki and pop star Pandora. 

• Love 2

I’m checking out Well Suited for Christmas on Lifetime. I have to say, the male lead IS handsome and has a figure designed for wearing clothes. I love that the female lead’s curls are perfectly hydrated. 

I give this one a firm B+! I liked the premise, I felt the chemistry between them and they didn’t fall in love in two minutes. I thought the side characters were a little flat though (which keeps it from being an A). 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Given the racial and sexual orientation diversity in Must Love Christmas, it’s shameful the posters of Natalie’s book covers all had Caucasian models. 
As for the movie itself, meh…everything was kinda meh (acting, plot, pacing).  In fact, the most interesting thing for me wasn’t even the movie itself. Instead, I was so surprised I had to rewind since I fast forwarded the commercials, but there was a See’s Candy commercial!!!  I never saw them advertise anywhere before!

What interested me about Must Love Christmas was that it was the first time I've liked Neal Bledsoe -- or, one of his characters  I actively disliked him (or, his prince character) in the Christmas Carousel  thing (which I saw a little of today).  But in this new one he had a really likable character, and gave him a lot of great energy.   I will watch this one again.

(Actually I started to like him better when he quit the GAC clan with a strong statement, but that was only a small part in my new view. )

• Like 4

I also enjoyed Must Love Christmas. I liked the chemistry with the leads and their conversations about past loves and heartache. I always like the movies that Neal Bledsoe does because he has the wounded puppy look down perfectly, and I remember Liza on NCIS and hope to see her in other movies. It was well done IMO and probably one I will watch again. It’s playing on Paramount+ for those that want to give it a try.

Edited by twoods

Christmas Treasure Hunt was so boring (and poorly acted) that I gave up after about 20 minutes.   And I kept wondering if the actor with the surname Massey was related to Chandler Massey from Days of Our Lives and who has done a few Hallmark holiday movies as well. 

Since nobody has said a peep on the GAC (GAF?) movie page since September, I came slinking over here to comment ..  saw Christmas at the Drive-In this morning, two familiar faces -- Neal Bledsoe and Danica McKellar..

The story had them as former high school sweethearts reuniting.  (O!  write that idea down!)  But in checking their facts, I saw to my surprise that he was born in 1991, and she was born in 1975!  So, good as she looks, when she was in high school,, he was in a crib, and now he's 31 and she is 47.   They looked believable enough, and maybe that's all that counts, but the 'classmates' thing is a stretch.

Incidentally, also, I stumbled up something called UPTV on a channel I never saw before.  Is that a known thing?     

1 hour ago, Chippings said:

I stumbled up something called UPTV on a channel I never saw before.  Is that a known thing?   

UPTV as a channel?  Yes.  I think there may even be a thread for the channel. 

1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

Christmas Treasure Hunt was so boring (and poorly acted) that I gave up after about 20 minutes.

Yes.  Another disappointing Lifetime entry.  Certainly nowhere as good as The Christmas Setup.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Chippings said:

Since nobody has said a peep on the GAC (GAF?) movie page since September, I came slinking over here to comment ..  saw Christmas at the Drive-In this morning, two familiar faces -- Neal Bledsoe and Danica McKellar..

The story had them as former high school sweethearts reuniting.  (O!  write that idea down!)  But in checking their facts, I saw to my surprise that he was born in 1991, and she was born in 1975!  So, good as she looks, when she was in high school,, he was in a crib, and now he's 31 and she is 47.   They looked believable enough, and maybe that's all that counts, but the 'classmates' thing is a stretch.

Incidentally, also, I stumbled up something called UPTV on a channel I never saw before.  Is that a known thing?     

He was born in 81 not 91.  Not that huge of a difference.  She can play 3 years younger and he could be 3 years older. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

He was born in 81 not 91.  Not that huge of a difference.  She can play 3 years younger and he could be 3 years older. 

Oh thank goodness.  I wondered his career had come this far at his tender age.  Thanks for catching it!  Next time I see him in one of the movies I'll squint at it again and see if I get it right.  Six years off isn't quite so bad

Danica McKellar is defending Candice Cameron Bure while also claiming to support the gay community.

“Neal is a wonderful person. He’s such a great actor, and I have enjoyed working with him so much. He and I both share our love and support of [the] LGBT community, for sure,” McKellar told Fox News Digital on Saturday, December 10. “You know, I don’t agree with his interpretation of her comments. I just didn’t see them the same way.”...

On Saturday, however, McKellar defended Bure’s comments. “When she was talking about the portrayal of heterosexual couples in the movies, she started the sentence with ‘I think,’ which is not definitive, and she ended it with ‘at its core,’ which doesn’t mean exclusively,” the Wonder Years alum said. “But I love [Bledsoe] to death and wish him well.”

That is...a lot of tap-dancing and sophistry there.

• Like 3

It’s not a Christmas movie, but it is a (sorta) New Years movie….called About Fate on Amazon Prime.  You have to suspend disbelief but I just really loved it. The movie totally made me laugh, smile and kept me engaged throughout.  I was so invested in the two crazy kids getting together.  I loved loved loved the chemistry between Emma Roberts and Thomas Mann. Their characters don’t seem like they’d mesh well (except for the Breakfast at Tiffany’s thing), but they do mesh. He needs her to liven his life, and she needs him to tone down the zaniness in her life.  My favorite part of the movie was when she called 911 on Griffin and both Griffin and the 911 operator were giving her grief about the movies she was mentioning. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
1 minute ago, norcalgal said:

It’s not a Christmas movie, but it is a (sorta) New Years movie….called About Fate on Amazon Prime.

It's by the same writer as Holidate.  I talked a little about About Fate in the rom com thread in the movies forum. 

18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's by the same writer as Holidate.  I talked a little about About Fate in the rom com thread in the movies forum. 

I only have hazy memories of Holidate, but I think that I thought it was just ok.  However, About Fate just worked for me. I also liked that About Fate didn’t end with a marriage proposal between the leads because it would have been way way too soon. Too soon after they met, and too soon after each had just gotten out of a relationship. I wish this movie had a post scene set some time later (like next NYE).
Oh - something that rang false for me was Griffin and his Influencer girlfriend. They seemed like they were such polar opposites, and would have nothing in common so I didn’t buy that they were boy/girlfriend. Still, I’ll overlook that since I loved this movie so much. 

35 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I wish this movie had a post scene set some time later (like next NYE).

Oh I'm glad they didn't because so many movies have been doing those lately and they rarely offer anything new that we couldn't have guessed based on what we know of romcoms.

2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Danica McKellar is defending Candice Cameron Bure while also claiming to support the gay community.

That is...a lot of tap-dancing and sophistry there.

The Chief Creative Officer of the network saying “I think” when talking about content for said network isn’t definitive?

keep telling yourself that season 4 GIF by Blindspot

Meanwhile, Jodie Sweetin who knows Candace better than most Hallmark or GAF actors has been supportive of those critical of Candace. She posted support on a post where Jojo Siwa called out Candace’s statement and shared Holly Robinson Peete’s post spelling out why language like “traditional marriage” is a problem. 

Edited by Makai
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah. As for her comments about "people of all ethnicities and identities have and will continue to contribute to the network ... both in front of and behind the camera"... does anyone recall seeing a person of color or an openly queer actor in any of the network's projects? Ever?

I even heard Trevor Donovan scrubbed his social media of any explicit mention of the LGBTQ community after switching networks, and supposedly Bill Abbot's support for his anti-bullying and inclusion program was a big factor in moving to GAC! I guess he's only allowed to worry about straight white kids being bullied and excluded now. Just like Jesus would have been.

• Applause 5
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah. As for her comments about "people of all ethnicities and identities have and will continue to contribute to the network ... both in front of and behind the camera"... does anyone recall seeing a person of color or an openly queer actor in any of the network's projects? Ever?

Yes there are people of color involved in front of the camera. They want to appear to be accepting and mainstream. So there are token and trope characters. Abbott’s approach has always been marginalization, segregation and implied diversity. So Black or Asian best friends, mentors or bosses and coded queer characters. Nothing that implies interracial couples or anyone acknowledging a couple is gay. Normally one or two movies a year with an almost entirely Black cast because in their mind they’re not racist or homophobic. 

I don’t know if any of the actors are openly queer. There haven’t been any in their main stable of actors but they have acquired a lot of movies so there probably is. 

Edited by Makai
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Makai said:

Yes there are POC actors involved. ...

Friendly remainder that "POC" is not an adverb. You can say "actors of color"; "minority actors" can work too (among other options).

• Like 2
On 12/14/2022 at 7:51 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I’m checking out Well Suited for Christmas on Lifetime. I have to say, the male lead IS handsome and has a figure designed for wearing clothes. I love that the female lead’s curls are perfectly hydrated. 

I give this one a firm B+! I liked the premise, I felt the chemistry between them and they didn’t fall in love in two minutes. I thought the side characters were a little flat though (which keeps it from being an A). 

I really liked this movie too. It wasn't overly dramatic or schmaltzy and flowed really nicely. I agree about some of the side characters. I thought the two main actors worked really well together and were both really enjoyable. I'm stuck somewhere that only has Lifetime available as a source of these movies for the most part so I've been watching the new and old ones on there. I've appreciated the diversity of all types. There have been a few real clunkers though like Christmas Treasure Hunt and some skirting the edge of being clunkers like Blending Christmas which I guess was from last year and had a lot of the people who played the kids in "The Brady Bunch".

On 12/17/2022 at 3:58 PM, Chippings said:

Yes, it's a known thing. Their movies can really vary in quality like with the other networks that make these romcoms. I've watched some holiday movies on UP that I really liked and still remember though. One of those movies was Christmas on Holly Lane. If you see that one as airing on there before they quit showing their holiday stuff I'd suggest that you give it a try. I was surprised at some of their content in a good way for a network like that.

I want to say more about some of the Lifetime movies I've seen in the past few weeks but I'm tired and this post is long enough so I'll save all of that for sometime this week.

Edited by Jaded

I came here to complain about Merry Textmas. Why oh why would you have white subtitles when so many backgrounds are also white? I don't mind not being able to read the subtitles when it is a throwaway line here or there but in this movie you missed entire conversations when you couldn't see the subtitles!

10 hours ago, Jaded said:

Blending Christmas which I guess was from last year and had a lot of the people who played the kids in "The Brady Bunch".

OMG, I tried to watch this last night.  I was out as soon as one of the characters used the 'Marcia, Marcia, Marcia' whine about one of the other characters.

• LOL 2

I really liked the Kelsey Grammer "12 Days of Christmas Eve" movie. It started off as really goofy but I liked how at the end, it looked like he really had learned his lesson. When he was given that one last chance to make things right but with no guarantee that he would live, he took it and you could see he genuinely just wanted to enjoy one last day with his daughter and granddaughter. I loved how gung-ho he was about going back and doing the day over every time he failed. He would "die", end back with Santa and enthusiastically blow out the candle to go back to try something new. I liked that this movie wasn't about a romance but about a man who just needed a chance to re-connect with his family. 

• Like 5

I don't think I saw anyone mention the holiday movie that was on the Food Network last week named One Delicious Christmas which from what IMDB says first aired on Discovery+. It's about a daughter who had to take over the family inn which included a restaurant and is now worn out from it all. She's thinking of trying to do what it takes to attract a famous investor chef played by Bobby flay who brings all the ham and some bacon with him to the role. There's a cute new chef that pops up so you see where this description is going. The female lead was Vanessa Marano (Y&R, Gilmore Girls) and the male lead was Alex Mallari Jr (Dark Matter, Ginny & Georgia) who both elevated the scripts they were given. It's formulaic but I found it pretty enjoyable.

I finally saw Reindeer Games Homecoming  and really enjoyed it like a lot of others who commented about it. I really like Sarah Drew and was pleasantly surprised to see that Justin Bruening was her co-lead. I've liked him since his days on All My Children and wished his version of Knight Rider had been given a little more time back in the day.

• Like 3

Pardon me, I’m cranky because I’m finding the mix of huge and normal print to be distracting and disconcerting. However, if one is going to be so quick to “remind” a poster of proper grammar and word choice, over the clear content of the message shouldn’t that person at least have accurate knowledge of parts of speech? No adverbs were harmed in the message. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 1

About Fate was pretty good, but I was very annoyed during the wedding scenes because he didn’t have to pretend to be the ex boyfriend. They could have said she broke up with her bf as she told her family already and he was a friend. 
Started watching Something From Tiffany’s and liking it. I didn’t realize Kendrick Sampson was in it and liked him in How to get away with Murder. He is absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1

I just caught Second Chance Christmas from 2017 on UPtv, and wow. Wow. Woman leaves loser husband, and gets into an accident on the way to filing divorce papers. Gets amnesia. Husband, her parents, and friends decide that Wife sucks, and gaslight her into living the life they'd prefer, which includes hiding the fact she left her husband. Wife eventually finds her way back to her career and loves what she does, she even has a sparkling rapport with her assistant (he should be the love interest!) She eventually learns the truth about the divorce, but decides to stay with him, because they had a pretty good week, even though he took advantage of her brain injury and essentially held her prisoner. This movie is peak hate watch material. 

• Mind Blown 7

Man, I would pitch the network a sequel, No More Second Chances, where the woman fully recovers from her TBI, realizes how fucked up those events are, has the husband jailed on kidnapping charges, and cuts off all contact with the relatives and friends who helped him while building a new found family of people she can trust.

• Like 5
On 12/17/2022 at 6:24 PM, Chippings said:
On 12/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, Aliconehead said:

I had come over regarding the GAC movie Christmas at the Drive-In and Neil Bledsoe's age being 16 years younger than Danica McKellar.  Aliconehead corrected me that he was born in 1981, and not 1991.  Thank goodness.  I figured I had read the figure wrong on the screen.  Just am seeing the movie again, and I see that GAC is showing his birthdate as 1991.  

Now I'm wondering if there's a channel to correct this?  Obviously I have so much spare time 3 days before Christmas, and don't have half a dozen presents yet to wrap, that I'm spending time on this non-issue  Sorry!  It was just a thing.  Thanks again, though, Aliconehead!  

I watched A Hollywood Christmas last night on HBOMax and really enjoyed it! I love Josh Swickward on General Hospital, and he was great in this role too. I liked it better than Hallmark's version of a "making a Christmas movie-movie" (Lights, Camera, Christmas!) I also thought it was better than anything Netflix put out this year.

And I don't know if it belongs in this thread or the Movie version of the Christmas Movie thread, but Something From Tiffany's on Amazon Prime is another gem. It had a real, 90s-era rom-com vibe, and the leads had great chemistry. I also thought they subverted a lot of tropes by making the "other woman" mostly likable (the "other man" not so much...)

Edited by absnow54
  • Like 4
On 11/27/2022 at 2:13 AM, Avabelle said:

The Noel Diary looks a little too earnest and cheesy for me. As said above I prefer lightness. I also hate where these types of movies take themselves too seriously. Given a lot of you have mentioned the last half hour can someone spoiler tag if they end up together or not so I know if it’s a total waste of time.

Due to storm in Southern Ontario I watched this one. I had to FF a few times.

Justin Hartley is easy on the eyes but the story is boring.  I saw it's based on a book?