Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:29 AM, annabel said:

Gabi: did YOU kill Andre?

Abby: Of course not

Gabi: why would you think I did?

Abby: well, you did kill Nick

Gabi: You set Ben ON FIRE

point to Gabi

This above conversation between Gabi and Abby illustrates why the show suck at developing their character to make them more rich and engaging.  Gabi as a character can be so much more than she is. The writers can make her very different and complex.  Her past with Chad/Melanie, Will, Nick, prison, and her daughter. The show uses none of that to make her more interesting and unique.    They don't have her be wary of relationships because of Will and/or Nick.   The show dropped the ball in not exploring her stint in prison, and using that to give her stories that are not attached to a man.  You don't come out of  prison, the same person that went in.   She could have been harder or more cynical after her stint in state prison. I have seen documentaries on women in prison, it is not pretty. In fact, I found the women in prison to be even more dangerous than their male counterparts.  All of that could have been used to give Gabi more depth and not just be Will's baby mama.  I am not even a big Gabi fan, but, I can see the potential of her having good stories that have nothing to do with a man..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

I agree about Gabi, Apprentice79. She should be more layered than she is. Between her upbringing (raised by Rafe, practically), baby daddy stuff w/Will, Daddy issues w/Eduardo, killing Nick, prison, etc... she shouldn't just be pretty and Ari's mom.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, swtrgrl said:

I agree about Gabi, Apprentice79. She should be more layered than she is. Between her upbringing (raised by Rafe, practically), baby daddy stuff w/Will, Daddy issues w/Eduardo, killing Nick, prison, etc... she shouldn't just be pretty and Ari's mom.

And, if I may add, whenever they do try to write her as smart or strong - it just doesn't seem to work, but I don't know why. She's whiny, imo, which is not what I think they are going for, but that's what I see.  (And the wardrobe is laughable, at best.)

• Love 3

I agree, I think when they show Gabi "furious/angry/frustrated" it just comes across as whiny or petulant child.  I do think that she shines more when she is in "career gal" mode.  Explaining Gabichic or her earlier scenes as Chad's consultant make her come off really well, focused, and informed.  The more dramatic scenes just tend to fall flat.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I agree, I think when they show Gabi "furious/angry/frustrated" it just comes across as whiny or petulant child.  I do think that she shines more when she is in "career gal" mode.  Explaining Gabichic or her earlier scenes as Chad's consultant make her come off really well, focused, and informed.  The more dramatic scenes just tend to fall flat.

She blew me away when she confessed to killing Nick. It was heartbreaking and Gabi's desperation to protect her daughter was palpable.  Her scenes with Kate were also wonderful.   It was a quiet understanding between two mothers who would do anything for their children.  

• Love 5

Where does Lani live?  With Abe?

"Buried somebody alive?" "It's a long story."

Is Kate dressing like a hippie today?

There's a big gap in the time tracking on that tape between when Kate left and Anna showed up.  But then I'm sure Eli and Rafe didn't notice that

Is that really John?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Is that really John?

I was wondering the same thing. Hope it's not another doppelganger.  So he must be "working for / following orders from" the mystery person spying on Anna. And the only person that comes to mind is Kristen, since we did briefly see her in Memphis.  And John and Kristen have a past, right.  Poor Steve, though. Hope there's no permanent damage from the poison.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't really remember anything about this ep except JJ's hair. It kept changing from scene to scene. At one point he looked like an early aughts punk-pop band member. I could not stop laughing.

Watching it now, and thinking the same thing! 

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't really remember anything about this ep except JJ's hair. It kept changing from scene to scene. At one point he looked like an early aughts punk-pop band member. I could not stop laughing.

I guess I don't pay that much attention, as I didn't notice his hair change from scene to scene. BUT I did notice that flattened down on his head hair style and wondered who thought that was a good look. 

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

And if Ben was really lit on fire that badly, why didn't he have any scars?)

LOL - for the same reason Jennifer can wear really low cut blouses and we don't see her open heart surgery scar.  That drives me nuts.  lol

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, janeyjay said:

Line of the day, from Vivian: “Look at all I’ve done and I’m still at large!" 

Which could be said about several other people in Salem to.

16 minutes ago, Tress said:

LOL - for the same reason Jennifer can wear really low cut blouses and we don't see her open heart surgery scar.  That drives me nuts.  lol

Everyone returns from the dead on a regular basis.  What's a few non-visible scars compared to that?

• Love 5

Too easy for Anna to do it. Too convenient that the surveillance tape just stopped then. Race and Eli were FBI. Who has the Salem PD brain today?

why is John poisoning Steve?

Lani, I get the fear part but you weren’t uncomfortable telling Gavin about your baby? The real daddy is her boyfriend? Something did not seem right about doing so? if you lie enough, it may be true? 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

So... Vivian and Stefan didn't really do it, right? That's too easy. 

Yeah, I can't see how it could possibly be them.

1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

Too convenient that the surveillance tape just stopped then

Well, no, Stefano edited it to end at that point.  He said so.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

Too easy for Anna to do it. Too convenient that the surveillance tape just stopped then. Race and Eli were FBI. Who has the Salem PD brain today?

why is John poisoning Steve?

Lani, I get the fear part but you weren’t uncomfortable telling Gavin about your baby? The real daddy is her boyfriend? Something did not seem right about doing so? if you lie enough, it may be true? 

Um, yeah, that convo was in poor taste. I know Gabi was being very friendly, but, damn, having that kind of chat with the completely in the dark girlfriend of the baby's real father is something else. That is some next level shadiness. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought he was Tiny Tim there for a minute in Hope's office - I kept looking for his ukulele.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Tress said:

and brady! and phillips leg grew back!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, msrachelj said:

and brady! and phillips leg grew back!

But sadly, neither of their brains were ever found.

I believe that currently Maggie is using Brady's empty noggin as a bread bin, keeps their Little Debbie snack cakes fresh as all get out.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Lani, I get the fear part but you weren’t uncomfortable telling Gabi about your baby? The real daddy is her boyfriend? Something did not seem right about doing so? if you lie enough, it may be true? 

See, I wonder if the show realizes that because the actress playing Lani has minimal acting ability, she is coming off as a cold-hearted and accomplished liar who cares for no one but herself.  In order for her to remain even slightly sympathetic, she should have looked conflicted or anguished or guilt-ridden in her conversation with Gabi. and instead, we're watching a woman lie with ease to all of the people she allegedly cares for.    ETA:  I changed "Gavin" to "Gabi" because I think that's what you meant?  If I'm worng please let me know :):)

I was watching one of the Fast and Furious movies over the weekend, and the female lead Letty had lost her memory and at the ultimate moment when we think Dom is dead, she tells him she remembers their wedding and how happy they were.  The entire crew is stunned because Dom never said a word to anyone and when Letty asked why he didn't tell her they were married, Dom said "You can't tell someone they love you" and I was instantly reminded of Will and Sonny.  When is Sonny going to realize that the Will he loves no longer exists and until his memory comes back, Sonny is a stranger to Will.  Everyone Will knows is a stranger to him and he needs to rebuild all of his relationships and Sonny just wants instant marriage, so good for Will for standing by his choices.  And I'm kind of looking forward to Will and Paul uncovering the truth about John and why he's hurting Steve.

I also kind of loved Jenn's flabbergasted reaction to Carrie's deciding to fly to Salem to help her parents, like Switzerland is in outer space instead of a seven plus hour plane ride.  

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I was watching one of the Fast and Furious movies over the weekend, and the female lead Letty had lost her memory and at the ultimate moment when we think Dom is dead, she tells him she remembers their wedding and how happy they were.  The entire crew is stunned because Dom never said a word to anyone and when Letty asked why he didn't tell her they were married, Dom said "You can't tell someone they love you" and I was instantly reminded of Will and Sonny.  When is Sonny going to realize that the Will he loves no longer exists and until his memory comes back, Sonny is a stranger to Will.  Everyone Will knows is a stranger to him and he needs to rebuild all of his relationships and Sonny just wants instant marriage, so good for Will for standing by his choices.  And I'm kind of looking forward to Will and Paul uncovering the truth about John and why he's hurting Steve.

On the flip side, has Will even tried to get to know anybody, he is only focus on Paul and not on his daughter, the person who needs him the most now.. He lost 2 years with her and each day that passes, he loses more and more.  Has he expressed any anger at Susan for keeping him from his daughter and family. It would have been better if we saw Wilson interacting and Sonny being disappointed that Will is not the same.  The same for his other family members.  Perhaps, Will cannot connect with Arianna and he feels that he is failing her, as a dad.  He does not feel that fatherly love for her and feels ashamed, fearing that people would view him as a monster.  He may not even want the responsibility of being a dad, as the new Will.  Ron is rushing things instead of playing certain beats. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

The writers could have easily had some scenes with Will and Ari, and with Will telling Gabi he wished he could remember Ari.  Then have Will leave for a few days to go see Sami and his siblings to see if Allie, Johnny, or Sydney spark any memories.  Just a few scenes here or there with Will trying to connect with people like say Kate and Lucas.  Then when Sonny keeps pushing Will, have Marlena, Kate or Lucas point out to Sonny that even Sami (after her disastrous scheme to get Will to remember) finally had the good sense to back off, and let Will try to remember on his own.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, boes said:

But sadly, neither of their brains were ever found.

I believe that currently Maggie is using Brady's empty noggin as a bread bin, keeps their Little Debbie snack cakes fresh as all get out.

What, you mean Jennifer doesn't keep making a fresh supply of Horton donuts?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I was watching one of the Fast and Furious movies over the weekend, and the female lead Letty had lost her memory and at the ultimate moment when we think Dom is dead, she tells him she remembers their wedding and how happy they were.  The entire crew is stunned because Dom never said a word to anyone and when Letty asked why he didn't tell her they were married, Dom said "You can't tell someone they love you" and I was instantly reminded of Will and Sonny.

I heart this comment because, yes, The Fast and Furious movies truly are modern day soap operas - people coming BFTD, people having amnesia, secret marriages, etc.

And yes, Sonny would be wise to heed Dom's words, as would we all.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

What?  Eric knew it was Jennifer calling his name, he can't act shocked that she walked in on him half naked.

JJ is going to be devastated when the truth about Lani's baby comes out.

Valerie has the best wardrobe.  Kate's has slipped lately, especially that wookie fur she's been wearing.

Too much public sharing, JJ announcing to the world that Lani's pregnant, Dr. Shah announcing to the world that he's dating Jennifer.

I'd really like to say "Poor Sonny", but the way he's been acting lately, it's probably good for Will to break free.

Dr. Shah sure acts possessive for a new guy.

So it really is John.  Obviously has something to do with teh spiez.

• Love 8

Re: Will's hanging out with Ariana, I think it's going to be just like Sonny's talking to Ari every week, we are going to learn that Will has been spending all types of time with Ari and now they're the super close.

Isn't the man who handed John Black the poison the actor who played Derek Frye on All My Children?

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 2

I don't really remember anything about this ep except JJ's hair. It kept changing from scene to scene.

LOL! I remember on ATWT when Luke's hair changed mid-kiss.

When did Sonny become so freaking thick-headed? Does he not get that Will has no memory of his past and that constantly pressuring him is just going to alienate him all the more? Sonny is just insufferable right now.

When John was like "It's eye drops" I really wanted Paul to call his bluff and say, "Oh, here, let me put some in your eyes for you then".

• Love 3

Wow, Sonny is a jerk. His comments to Will just sound like threats that a thug would make. "You'll remember, and you'll be sorry!" Ugh. 

I do think I'm enjoying the John and Steve story though. I hope the reveal of the reason John is poisoning him isn't a complete dud. 

Edited by FnkyChkn34
Fixing phone autocorrect
  • Love 5

Valerie, what you did was an ethics violation. But good for you. And a fabulous outfit.

Sonny, stop being a petulant jerk. Will does not know you. Get the divorce. Maybe you will get back together. He is not your property. Let him go. No one likes control.

Hopefully Steve has some idea that he is being poisoned.

Lani, it is not a good idea to pretend the baby is another man's. You WILL be found out and you will lose both.

• Love 11

As this story goes on, I’m really starting to get suspicious that FS may really not be renewing his contract or they’re writing him out. Which is good for the Paul and Will endgame supporter in me. I also think Billy is as good as gone when his up this May (?) I believe.

• Love 3

Vanessa Williams looked so beautiful today.  I hope that the show gives her more to do, as Valerie.. Vanessa Williams is a dynamite actress.. I remember growing up, we used to call her the dark one and the other Vanessa Williams, the light one..lol

• Love 6
6 hours ago, willgracefan said:

He was on All My Children but I can’t remember his character name nor his real name. 

Officer Derek Frye, good to see you again!  

William Christian played Derek Frye on All My Children from 1990 until 2005.  He played the Chief of Police for most of that time.  He was a solid actor, very good.

And it's so nice to see him again, looking good, too.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, betweenthelines said:

As this story goes on, I’m really starting to get suspicious that FS may really not be renewing his contract or they’re writing him out. Which is good for the Paul and Will endgame supporter in me. I also think Billy is as good as gone when his up this May (?) I believe.

Sounds good to me, let's get Casey Deidrick back. :)

• Love 2

I really hope they're smart enough to keep him around. Bully hasn't had a good storyline all his own which is a shame. They wasted an obscene amount of time on his relationship with Abigail and his weird relationship with Ciara last year. I definitely think Chad should have some friends or some other interests beside trying to fix his screwed-up biological family and marriage.

Still, he's a very strong actor and one of the few in his character's age range who I would think they should keep around. At this point, Chad and Will are like the only two guys I think are really worth it in the long haul. I could see Paul leaving the show in a year and not really missing him. Sonny can go whenever he pleases. Hopefully they pay Billy and Chandler whatever they need to to keep them on the series for another few years.

I'm finally starting to really like Valerie and Eli as a mother-son duo. I love her red outfit with the gloves. I'm not crazy about her hairstyle but whatever. It would be really nice to see these two developed more as a unit away from Abe.

Ron can definitely do some more cast trimming as far as I'm concerned. Lani should be the next to go,

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm finally starting to really like Valerie and Eli as a mother-son duo. I love her red outfit with the gloves. I'm not crazy about her hairstyle but whatever. It would be really nice to see these two developed more as a unit away from Abe.

Ron can definitely do some more cast trimming as far as I'm concerned. Lani should be the next to go,

I like Valerie in general, but not the past week or two.  She's really overstepping her boundary regarding Lani, and yesterday she broke the law by stealing her medical records!  So wrong, and as a doctor, I'm thinking she can lose her license?  She needs to butt out; she really is looking like the crazy wannabe grandmother that won't get off her kid's back.  

Lani, Paul, Claire... they all can go.  Vivian is annoying me already too, but I have a feeling that she might not be on long-term?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, betweenthelines said:

I also think Billy is as good as gone when his up this May (?) I believe.

Oh, yay!

I have liked Valerie more lately and I'm glad she presumably knows now that the baby isn't JJ's because I want this story to move a long, but I mean damn that is super unethical lol. I found it odd she had no qualms about looking at Lani's chart.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh, yay!

I have liked Valerie more lately and I'm glad she presumably knows now that the baby isn't JJ's because I want this story to move a long, but I mean damn that is super unethical lol. I found it odd she had no qualms about looking at Lani's chart.

I kind of like that Valerie is taking matters into her own hands and acting like this because now Ms. Lani Price can deal with someone being as devious as she is--sucks don't it!

I realize that I used to love Tripp and Claire but now that Ciara is in the mix and being as unpleasant as she is, she's ruining them for me.  

So now that Steve is horribly ill, does this mean John will stop dosing him?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I like Valerie in general, but not the past week or two.  She's really overstepping her boundary regarding Lani, and yesterday she broke the law by stealing her medical records!  So wrong, and as a doctor, I'm thinking she can lose her license?  She needs to butt out; she really is looking like the crazy wannabe grandmother that won't get off her kid's back. 

I was reading elsewhere that people were praising Valerie for reading Lani's chart because "after all this is her grandchild so she needs to know."  I'm over here thinking, there's this little FEDERAL law called HIPAA which means, Valerie, you reading Lani's chart is illegal since you are not her doctor. But who cares in TV land?  I don't like Lani lying about this, but it has given me a flashback to Mike Horton (even though he already knew he was Bill's son by the time I started watching - it took me some reading to figure that one out LOL). 

• Love 3

Ron is so heavy-handed in his writing, why does he make Sonny so boorish and unlikeable.  Sonny's treatment of Paul is so unnecessary.  They were going to get married, for goodness sake.. I don't even like Paul and Sonny is making me feel kinda bad for him.  I am sure at some point, Ron will change course and make Paul the villain, to reunite Wilson...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

Oh Will, don't hold you breath waiting for any kind of journalistic instincts to kick in, you were a horrible reporter.

That said, as insta as their careers are, a PI and a journalist teaming up to solve a mystery - and possibly heading to bone-town along the way - is rather classically soapy.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Ron is so heavy-handed in his writing, why does he make Sonny so boorish and unlikeable.  Sonny's treatment of Paul is so unnecessary.  They were going to get married, for goodness sake.. I don't even like Paul and Sonny is making me feel kinda bad for him.  I am sure at some point, Ron will change course and make Paul the villain, to reunite Wilson...

Sonny was boorish and unlikeable long before Ron came along.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Sonny was boorish and unlikeable long before Ron came along.

Consign. There is no heavy-handed writing here. Sonny has been written like this pretty much since his return. One of the things FS wanted was for Sonny to have more of an "edge" and become involved in the family business. This leads us all to where we stand now with Sonny, Titan obsessed and acting like a spoiled child. FS sadly is not a strong enough actor to portray these things with any sort of belief so his "acting" certainly doesn't help things by any means. 

Loved the Will and Paul scenes today, they are certainly taking their time to develop them; which gives me hope we may end up with a Horita endgame. I can't see this Will (or past Will) wanting Sonny the way he is now. Will may be forever changed now or if he gets his memories back (past memories + the current ones) but Sonny is beyond different. He's a far cry from the loveable guy the old Will once knew. If WilSon does end up reconciling I still think it will be temporary and Will will go back with Paul; they're just SO much better suited, plus they have chemistry, it's a win-win. Also, based on the  Brady family foreshadowing I can't see them keeping Will with the first guy he liked; both his mother and grandmother had intense relationships with others that changed the course of their own relationships, such as Marlena/John instead of keeping her with Roman even though they had a family.  

Edited by betweenthelines
  • Love 10
48 minutes ago, betweenthelines said:

Consign. There is no heavy-handed writing here. Sonny has been written like this pretty much since his return. One of the things FS wanted was for Sonny to have more of an "edge" and become involved in the family business. This leads us all to where we stand now with Sonny, Titan obsessed and acting like a spoiled child. FS sadly is not a strong enough actor to portray these things with any sort of belief so his "acting" certainly doesn't help things by any means. 

Loved the Will and Paul scenes today, they are certainly taking their time to develop them; which gives me hope we may end up with a Horita endgame. I can't see this Will (or past Will) wanting Sonny the way he is now. Will may be forever changed now or if he gets his memories back (past memories + the current ones) but Sonny is beyond different. He's a far cry from the loveable guy the old Will once knew. If WilSon does end up reconciling I still think it will be temporary and Will will go back with Paul; they're just SO much better suited, plus they have chemistry, it's a win-win. Also, based on the  Brady family foreshadowing I can't see them keeping Will with the first guy he liked; both his mother and grandmother had intense relationships with others that changed the course of their own relationships, such as Marlena/John instead of keeping her with Roman even though they had a family.  

I still think that Wilson will be endgame. Will will want Sonny after Sonny moves on and Horita become a couple. Marlena's love life is more complicated and richer than Will's. She had three popular pairings. Plus, Chandler said that he thinks that Wilson will end up together, it will just take time and to be patient.

34 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Marlena's love life is more complicated and richer than Will's. She had three popular pairings.

Will's love live won't get more complicated and richer and he won't have more pairings, popular or otherwise, if he remains forever yoked to one character for the entirety of his romantic soap life.

• Love 4