Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

So many characters and actors haven been/are being underutilized or outright thrown under the bus right now.  At least there are some positives, such as Theresa and Nicole no longer being doormats for the verbal abuse of Brady and Dr. Tan, the better sets, and KA, MBE, and SN being given some quality time.

It will be interesting to see what this show looks like this time next year. How many more characters will be reduced to propping or giving angst to Abifail and Crabs. Will Abifail get even more screen time. Will Lucas still be back burnered for no reason. How many more characters are going to be killed off or trashed.

• Love 6

It will be interesting to see what this show looks like this time next year. How many more characters will be reduced to propping or giving angst to Abifail and Crabs. Will Abifail get even more screen time. Will Lucas still be back burnered for no reason. How many more characters are going to be killed off or trashed.

I almost believe the best way Lucas could get airtime he might need those scenes with Abifail

• Love 4

I almost believe the best way Lucas could get airtime he might need those scenes with Abifail Has BD had prop duties yet? It could be his turn.

If it puts BD on my screen, I'll endure it. :)

• Love 2

The writers and Ken Corday haven't been interested in giving Lucas a decent SL in years.  Lucas barely got any screen time to mourn Will.

But Sami has raped Austin.

And EJ raped Sami, and had Fake Rafe rape her.  However, when they were arguing about Kristen drugging and raping Eric, EJ got to bring up Sami's past with Austin, but Sami didn't get to say one word about what EJ had done to her.

Another thing soaps used to do, but fail at now are umbrella SLs which affect several characters, and have several of them interacting with each other.  On General Hospital, the Aztec Treasure SL involved Felicia, Frisco, Robert, Holly, Sean, Anna, Tony, Tonya, Grant, Cecilia, etc.

• Love 4

The writers and Ken Corday haven't been interested in giving Lucas a decent SL in years. Lucas barely got any screen time to mourn Will.

And EJ raped Sami, and had Fake Rafe rape her. However, when they were arguing about Kristen drugging and raping Eric, EJ got to bring up Sami's past with Austin, but Sami didn't get to say one word about what EJ had done to her.

And Lucas and Sami were abusive to each other too. Even Lucas was fine letting Sami go to death row to die until whatever conscious he had left kicked in and he didn't want to do his momma boy biddings with Kate. He and Kate also tried getting Sami to fall off of cliff once by hangin a fake doll pretending it was Will. Hell, even Lucas use to smack Sami and I didn't like that one bit to get her to shut up. That was as gross too since that was DV but because it was Sami getting smacked around who cares, right. Doesn't make Lucas a sweet angel neither in my book.

Sami has had equally abusive relationships with Lucas and EJ. The only true relationship that didn't treat her like trash was Brandon. He had to be one the most patient and romantic guys ever in Sami's life but Sami just didn't know a good guy when she had it with him. It falls back to her teen years of what she saw with the foolishness between Roman/Marlena/John, she is who she is because of that triangle and she makes bad choices in men because of that reason. She even told John one year that is the reason.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 3

And my point was that Sami, like other women on the show, gets criticized by the men, but she is not allowed to remind them of all the horrible things they have done to her or other people.  Stefano and Victor have never paid for anything they have done.  Victor gets to refer to Theresa as a bitch and whore, but Theresa doesn't get to call Victor out for raping Kim, and for all the terrible things he did to Kim and Shane.

• Love 4

And that's where we agree about to Theresa, Tiger

At the end, we know the previous writers who handled her and her backstory was sloppy. TomSell even made Kimberly out to a monster mom who didn't respect Theresa's choices going into the profession of her choice. That still pisses me off. For anyone who has watched Kimberly Brady most of the 80s and early 90s or old youtube clips that woman was sweet as pumpkin who had been through a lot. If that is one thing I'd love for 'Griffgley' to correct is whatever is broken relationship with Theresa and Kim, because TomSell just left me cold with that.

• Love 3

I just found Josh Griffith used his old OLTL material with Crabs.

Remember when Chad told Abifail a bedtime story. Well he did that with Suede and Marty back in 1993.

Tell me the dialogue isn't similar from the one that was done a few weeks ago with Crabs.

• Love 1

He is also retelling the bullying story that he did on the Young&the restless with Theo. The basic black story is another story that he did on that show with another character on there. He also killed a legacy child on there as well. This is what soaps are dying, the same writers are recycled over and over again. We need new writers who love the genre that will give us good stories.

• Love 8

He is also retelling the bullying story that he did on the Young&the restless with Theo. The basic black story is another story that he did on that show with another character on there.

We need new writers who love the genre that will give us good stories.

That Theo bullying story is blah... This show should had waited til spring or summer to SORAS these kids. The new teens are put in dark storytelling with vets and they clearly wasn't ready for it.

The BB fashion show was lackluster at best. I hated the lighting for it the most. I couldn't see one freakin actor the whole couple of days while it was featured. Even the scenes with Brady and Daniel driving were much too dark. I get they were trying to set the mood for what is to come but really...

And I agree, all these soaps keep recycling the same hack fucks across the 3 out of 4 soaps, the only fortunate one who hasn't done that is B&B but even with that Bradley takes a few naps at the wheel.

I mean it's so gotten dark on Days the characters don't even smile much or at all anymore. I personally have no problem with dark storytelling since many of my favorite shows tends to be dark, but Griffith needs to recognize he's writing a soap geared towards women! I'm a woman but there are a lot of women who might not care to see alot of dark stories. For example, Look Marlena she's an old worry wart, hardly working. Hope is the black knight always wearing black, on suspension from Salem PD and going through some serious PTSD. Jennifer is being used as a babysitter for Abifail's spawn instead of being a career woman and finding love. There is no humor at all. No feel good moments. I still can't find one couple worth rooting that is currently playing on Days, besides the obvious Stayla, that's worth rooting for. The romance is even subpar. And fix that damn timeline. I'm so tired of this show being stuck one day for 2 weeks. I'm still based off the 2016 preview maga from SOD there will be romance but if it's all going to Chabby and Thrady then boo and who cares, least I don't.

It's all about balance for me. You can write a balance show with drama, romance, humor, feel good moments, and betrayal but I feel all the soaps have fallen on lazy times and feel whatever is left of the current soap audience with all four soaps will settle for anything.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 1

And Lucas and Sami were abusive to each other too. Even Lucas was fine letting Sami go to death row to die until whatever conscious he had left kicked in and he didn't want to do his momma boy biddings with Kate. He and Kate also tried getting Sami to fall off of cliff once by hangin a fake doll pretending it was Will. Hell, even Lucas use to smack Sami and I didn't like that one bit to get her to shut up. That was as gross too since that was DV but because it was Sami getting smacked around who cares, right. Doesn't make Lucas a sweet angel neither in my book.

Sami has had equally abusive relationships with Lucas and EJ. The only true relationship that didn't treat her like trash was Brandon. He had to be one the most patient and romantic guys ever in Sami's life but Sami just didn't know a good guy when she had it with him. It falls back to her teen years of what she saw with the foolishness between Roman/Marlena/John, she is who she is because of that triangle and she makes bad choices in men because of that reason. She even told John one year that is the reason.

When did Lucas ever smack Sami?  I agree with you on the other stuff Sami and Lucas used to do to each other back in the day, but I don't remember Lucas ever physically assaulting Sami.

I don't watch Days regularly any longer. I tuned in to see Bo (sob!) return and I might tune in to see the aftermath of the accident. That said, this show has had a problem with overplaying characters. I noticed it when it was my favorites - Sami, EJ, Nicole, etc - and I noticed it even more when it was the likes of Daniel and Jennifer. Like the Geico commercial says, it's what you do when you're Ken Corday. Abby has been front burner for nearly two years now. I don't blame Mansi for that. That's on the show.

I don't like Abby and I think KM is a so-so actress. The character and the actress get slammed but compared to what AS or AZ or even MR has endured over the years it is pretty tame in comparison. There's no rule that viewers have to love all the characters or the actors. 

Vent on!

Thanks! And that's exactly what I'm talking about. So many actors have been sliced and diced and some canned and yet, KM seems to be treated like some kind of princess. That interview was a perfect example. They were all kind of kissing her A$$ and I don't get it. I love Stephen and Mary Beth and I love Billy Flynn but dang!!

• Love 3

Ok, not exactly what I was expecting as proof of Domestic Violence but Lucas "technically" did smack her.

I would say it is. It happened in the home and he put hands on her violently while drunk. No excuse.

• Love 3

Ok, not exactly what I was expecting as proof of Domestic Violence but Lucas "technically" did smack her. 

Lucas for me was always just so heavy handed with Sami. In the beginning when she was such a bad spoiled little girl doing tons of stupid dastardly things it was cute. But as they aged, it wasn't really cute anymore and he started coming off way too pressed. 

I kind of liked the Basic Black Fashion show. It was different from the usual with Days and I liked the way they worked the room with so many characters. I thought they did a pretty good job of it.

I like JL but Teresa gets on my nerves. I blame the writing for jerking her around. For the Thrady s/l they should have had a big event to make them fall in love. Like being trapped in an elevator in a burning building (or floor). Something more than just shrug "aw what the f'ing hell.'

• Love 4

I would say it is. It happened in the home and he put hands on her violently while drunk. No excuse.

Agree to disagree.  The scene played to me that Lucas stupidly thought that Sami was acting hysterical while drunk and the only way to calm her down was to use the "overused" trope of smacking her to calm her down.  Especially evidenced by his use of explaining what he was going to do to Sami before.

I agree it was an incredibly stupid thing to do, I just wouldn't use it to describe DV.  Personally it cheapens the real claim of what DV is, even if it is the literal definition of it.

If this is the barometer we are using most of the residents in Salem, particularly the women have slapped someone, I don't know if I would say that 90% of the residents of Salem are domestic abusers.

• Love 4

The first Basic Black fashion show was great in 2004, I believe.

The lighting and the cheap fashion but the aftermath was better.

https://youtu.be/xPnEJ8Dx828

Wow just the colors alone are totally different. So much pink. I think in some respects Days can't be fully blamed for the dark material. Days has always been a little emo in some of their stories but mostly I think tv/movies have become more dark in the last 10 years. All the vampires/werewolves/witches/serial killers etc... it's just been saturated with that kind of theme. Days probably can't help but follow it. And I rather watch that than sappy/emotional clinging stuff that plays on empathy.

• Love 3

That fashion show was fun and everyone looked great.  I had no idea Belle used to be a fashion designer.  Did the characters reference that the other day during Theresa's show? 

I wonder why Ken Corday has such a hate-on for Matt Ashford, and why the Rex and Cassie characters aren't mentioned more often or even brought back on.  Since they're not going to let Kate interact with Lucas it'd be nice to see her with some of her other children not named Phillip. 

Also, it's a good thing that Brady is now being played by EM.  Kyle Lowder is nearly intolerable even in doses of a few seconds.

• Love 2

I never really thought about it, but that poor kid sure lost out in the gene pool lottery.  Either a serial killer daddy and a child molester/killer grandpa.  Or an easily brain-washable father with an entire crazy murderous clan for relatives.  And then there's the mother... LOL.

Abby's Horton grandparents are a rapist (Bill) and a psychotic (Laura). The only one of her grandparents that isn't cray cray is Fay, the battered woman.

• Love 1

Jane, are we related???

Girl, I said that in the storyline possibilities thread! If KA can get GG to act, she deserves a special Emmy for working a damn miracle!

We must be Rafe's cousins. He has thousands of relatives just waiting to be "introduced" to Days viewers. GG has mastered not acting. He has three expressions and the most entertaining thing he does is cycle through these emotions in scenes where he clearly has no idea how to play it. I did enjoy him as FakeRafe. He was totally believable as a vile oaf. 

Did Dena write that crap? That was a horrible, horrible year. FakeRafe, StalkerHope and Scarf-sniffing EJ. Yikes.

• Love 5

Abby's Horton grandparents are a rapist (Bill) and a psychotic (Laura). The only one of her grandparents that isn't cray cray is Fay, the battered woman.

A rapist (Bill) and his victim (Laura). Days family values! This show needs to forbid the writers from writing any more rape stories. And provide a legal and moral definition of rape to the writers because I swear they don't realize half the time how the audience is going to respond this crap. 

• Love 6

We must be Rafe's cousins. He has thousands of relatives just waiting to be "introduced" to Days viewers. GG has mastered not acting. He has three expressions and the most entertaining thing he does is cycle through these emotions in scenes where he clearly has no idea how to play it. I did enjoy him as FakeRafe. He was totally believable as a vile oaf.

Did Dena write that crap? That was a horrible, horrible year. FakeRafe, StalkerHope and Scarf-sniffing EJ. Yikes.

Nooo don't bring up Nighttime Hope. Bad bad memories. I had to turn my tv off til Dena Higley left for good. I'm serious. Thats how bad Dena had the show. Had Kristian looking like a damn fool. Not to mention, I hated how she did Carly/Bo/Hope storyline, that could tri could had been better than what is was. I'm surprised she did a good baby switch storyline with EJami/EJole/Safe.

She's a "writer" who keeps getting hired off her "pitches" no way shes getting hired for being Bill Bell-ish or Agnes Nixon-ish or Sheri Anderson-ish. Hell Im shocked she has an Emmy!!! Yes Dena Higley has an Emmy.

Edited by BlackMamba

I think you mean Madeline.  Madeline was Chad's mother, Fay was Brandon's mother.

Edited:  Sorry, I thought you were referring to Thomas Jack's grandparents. Who is Fay?  Do you mean Jo?

Edited by JBC344

That interviewer at the fashion show was Downtown Julie Brown!  I didn't even recognize her!

I know! I was all like, "WUBBA WUBBA" 

My husband is a wee bit younger than I and he looked at me like, "Okay, I know I married a cray bitch but dayum."

OMFG LOOK AT SPOILERS AND SHOCKERS!!!

HAPPY DANCE

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

• Love 2

Jo murdered the man she thought murdered Steve. Abby and JJ have scary genes.

Jack's biological father was a wife beater who raped his daughter who murdered him; his adoptive father was a serial killer.  Jack killed Harper on Steve and Kayla's wedding day because Harper was going to kill Steve.  Abby's family background isn't that great either. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 3

Today's episode highlighted for me that no matter what the executives at NBC think, KM is not their next star.  All anyone would have to do is watch the reactions of the actresses playing Maggie, Marlena, Jennifer, Nicole and Theresa to see how truly talented women convey shock, anger and grief-stricken pain.  I was especially impressed by SR, AZ and JL because they were so wonderfully understated with their pain. Contrast that to KM's one note strident shrillness and I rest my case.

I am actually rather shocked at how speedily Daniel has been taken care--I guess his final moment was that video message to Nicole.  DAMN!!

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 6

Yeah I wasn't expecting him to be out so fast...

Nicole's dress is pretty. I'll give the producers credit - they gave us the hard deaths first and now its all confetti, at least today.

Could Roman have scenes with his family when they aren't horribly ill?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

Black Mamba you brought us some Latrice Motherfuckin' Royale... and then you inflicted OLTL's Suede on us? Aaaah!

DOOOOOM!!

That was the theme of the New Year's Eve show. Every time I saw Kayla and Steve being all sweet and in love. DOOM!

Every time they talked about how they had nothing but good ahead of them. DOOM!

Every time Nicole and Daniel were all schmoopsie and makey-outey. DOOM!

Every time we saw conveniently on screen again Eric. DOOM!

Every time Joey was looking at Ava. DOOM!

Honest to God, that video of Daniel that Nicole was watching? I really thought that it was going to end up with headlights, a NO! a crash and Nicole screaming. Admit it, that would have been crazy twisted... but I guess that video is something we're going to have to get used to because I sense Nicole will be playing the SHIT out of it. Ultimately, it will probably be the thing that gets her out of bed and takes on Kate with Basic Black again. Actually, the way I see it... Daniel dies and Nicole goes into mourning. Melanie comes back for her father's funeral and Theresa backslides... and this results in Kate making her full on power play to take over the company for herself. Nicole then watches the video AGAIN and realizes that Daniel had all of this amazing faith in her, she pulls herself together and go gets Theresa, gives her a pep talk about how Brady does love her and is super happy with her so stop being all Theresa about it... they have a company to run.

Or something.

Meanwhile... there's stupid Joey. I guess this is what happens when you're related to all the girls your age? You get entranced by an evil rake who is obsessed with your father. Kayla is giving stink-eye like a fucking CHAMPION. And I also love how she's all... 'I made the decision to let go of my hatred... but I LOATHE her and that's never going away!'

Sure. Okay. 

Still, the fact that Kayla's basically all 'I told her I forgave her because she said that's what she wanted from us and now she's got no reason to stay. Now, if that lamppost sticks around, I'll know she's full of shit and can go on hating the ever loving LIFE out of her!'

Although, I think my favorite comment was from John of all people when he saw Ava and was asking Steve about her. Steve said she would probably come looking for him and Marlena and John goes 'Maybe she's not feeling that contrite.' The Wisdom of John! Because he's right. She's not. She's conning everyone all over again and Steve's the real moron for buying it at all.

My sister is still certain that Ava's going to get pregnant by Joey. I don't know... but his budding obsession for her is obviously not going to end well.

DOOM!

Every time I made a comment while we were watching my sister asked me if I had read spoilers. I just looked at her and said "It's text book." All of this DOOM was pure, text book soap.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 7

Another fucking brain problem... Daniel is braindead.

Poor Maggie and Nikki.

Where's Jennifer?

Chad is upset with Abifail. Of course BF is acting circles around KM. The brainwashing clips are helping mask her voice.

• Love 2

Well, today's episode was the most incredibly depressing New Year's episode in soap history!  Yet, i was still captivated by it.  A lot of good acting involved.

The impending death of Daniel is kind of bumming me out and I was never even a huge fan of his.  I just feel like this happens with soap characters every so often.  One becomes the focal point for a soap for a good stretch of time, has ties with everyone, gets crammed down our throat daily, and we are told how wonderful they are...then...a new writing regime comes in and kills them off abruptly.  Most sincerely dead usually too.  I guess I feel bummed more from all the characters tied to him.  They spent so much time in recent years tying him him into key families, giving him a notable mother and child on canvas, giving him notable love interests, and now he is done.  So goes the life of a soap hero...

Poor Nicole, poor Maggie.  Not sure how they will recover from this.

The scene with the phone calls was pretty heavy.  So many lives changed in that one moment.

JJ is a good son.  I don't care what Jennifer say/thinks, he is the one who is there for her.  Gah, even after Abby's desperate and humiliating plea to Chad (her begging, ugh), she still had time to stop by the Mall in Salem to look at Teddy Bears than to go back to the hospital to tend to her very sick baby.  Even after JJ's phone call, she wasn't hauling ass to get to the hospital.  Just strolling along.  I did kind of chuckle that the hospital called JJ over Jennifer and nobody called Abby until he did.  They know who will go to his mother first ;)

Actually on top of being icky, the Abby/Chad scenes felt out of place in today's episode.  It should have been all about the accident and the people's lives involved with the victims.  Sure Jennifer is Abby's mother, but she wasn't engaging in that part of things.  As usual, it was all about Chad with her...

I was glad that John and Theresa were able to comfort each other over Brady and put him before any past differences they had.  Jenn Lilley continues to act realistically, including drippy nose issues!

Oh Eric, you have really done it this time.  I wonder if they will somehow explain away his recent issues to a medical condition nobody knew he had.

So Maggie has to make a Sophie's Choice decision over who gets Daniel's heart.  That seems sort of a cruel thing to make her do, especially since she knows both men and is close with them.  Shouldn't the doctors asses both patients and advise her as to which would be the better candidate?  They know she is already in mourning over her son, how is she supposed to decide which one of these two gets Daniel's heart?  

Of course it will most likely be Brady.  He is her husband's grandson who lived with them for ages.  He is a new father as well.  And once they find out Eric caused the accident that put them all there and ultimately killed Daniel, he wouldn't be the choice likely made.  Plus Eric will probably go to jail for drunk driving/vehicular manslaughter, Daniel's heart would be wasted in jail.

I wonder if Eric will eventually die as well or even choose to after finding out what he has done.  Days is keeping my interest, but is pretty depressing.  

I'm guessing Strawberry Shortcake will be making a return before long now...

Happy New Year to my forum friends!

Edited by LadyJaney
  • Love 5

I've never really had any use for Dan but I feel sorry for his family. I don't know why these writers love killing off people so much. He could have just left town after Nicole decided she was really in love with Eric. Speaking of Eric, damn them for making him a killer.

I don't know what KM was trying to do but it was funny and terrible at the same time.

• Love 7

I just can't with this Sophie's Choice setup. How the hell can Eric AND Brady AND Dan, all of whom were in the same damn accident, be perfect heart matches??? I could maybe buy 2 of them being a match, but all 3? You really need to do better than this, Days.

It might be just me but I thought the acting in this episode was all sorts of OTT. I lost count of how many times I cringed--even from the usually good actors. I'm going to chalk that up to the sheer ridiculousness of this entire storyline. What an odd episode.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 2

I can't mad Days got their idea from A list Hollywood movie. I give them credit on that least they didn't pull nothing out their ass slap together like they typically would.

I knew Daniel Boy would be treated like the King of Kings when it came to his demise.

• Love 2

Lord... Eric could have Lyme Disease.

Even in my soaps Yolanda Hadid from RHOBH can't stop following me.

But overall great episode IMO. Wonderful performances. Hate the only time we see these great moments is when everyone dies but yeah.

Abigail: Do you really think I'm that desperate?

Me: The writers must be trolling us.

Trolling? They could be speaking for the audience finally

• Love 2