Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: The Curse Of The Bambino

Veruca Assault
  • Start Topic

I don't care how Disneyfied they made Fenway the fact that I can now pretty consistently get a working stall in the ladies room gets it two thumbs up from me.

Not to mention that the Feway Franks are still their awesomely bad self.

I'm all about the Italian sausage, and I wish that had been one of the options last night. I hate hot dogs in general, though. I'm also sort of surprised that crackerjack wasn't an option.

Considering the season was produced in conjunction with the tourism board, it's highly unlikely that we'll see anything other than an extended commercial for visiting Boston and little-to-nothing in the way of actual cuisine (other than regional stereotypes). Before they started filming, I predicted an English appearance, a Boston Strong-themed episode and a Fenway challenge. 3-3.

I'd be surprised if they don't eventually get out into some of the restaurants here - especially Sweet Cheeks (because of Tiffani Faison) - but also to some of Barbara Lynch's places.  I mean, it isn't as if showing off some of the fine dining establishments is going to hurt the Greater Boston Convention and Visitor's Bureau.  I know that they make it out to Plymouth, eventually.  I will say, as much as it is the case that not everyone in Boston is in love with seafood, I think I'd be surprised if they don't do a seafood-themed challenge.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine

I am beyond confused and obviously have not paid close enough attention. In the elimination quickfires, if the chef who lost the quickfire (Aaron) wins the elimination round, is no one eliminated? He picked Katie for the elimination challenge, yes? Yet she was in the second challenge at Fenway. So is it only a risk to be eliminated if the original loser loses the elimination round? I thought it was whoever lost the elimination round is gone, knives packed. I'm confused.

Stacy is growing on me which I didn't expect. I like Gregory as well. I really enjoyed Melissa too and hope she makes it far. I think at the moment, those are my top three.

No, in the sudden death quickfire, the loser challenges anyone in the kitchen.  If the loser loses...they go home, if the person they challenged loses....they both stay.

I may be cold hearted, and getting more so each passing day, but I think Katie was trumping up her "dead father sadness," or it was producer-driven. Bringing it up at the judge's table while they were tasting her food, I just rolled my eyes.

And a part of me thinks that one of the reasons Ron went home was that he is not as "camera ready" as Keriann is.

Ron is a nice guy, but word up to not being camera ready.  This is why I assumed his food would be off the charts good.

Forgot to mention Padma's chocolate brown outfit. Holy Fenway, the leather pants and the top that plunged? Ming Tsai was a gentleman on camera at least by averting his eyes. Congrats to him.

All I was thinking was that it looked like she was headed off to a time machine so she could be a backup dancer in a prince video circa 1984.  I haven't seen a full chocolate brown outfit in that long.

I'm all about the Italian sausage, and I wish that had been one of the options last night. I hate hot dogs in general, though. I'm also sort of surprised that crackerjack wasn't an option.

The crackerjack people were probably not willing to pay to be on the show :)

• Love 2

Cops, firemen, and baseball.  This show can go back to New Orleans any time.  Is Boston really this white bread in its "inspirations"?  Since many here claim that a baseball pitch is like a church, I am going to have to go with yes on that one. God I miss the Bayou.  At least New Orleans had an interesting food culture.  So far Boston is a celebration in banality.  No wonder the food looks boring.  

Edited by LilyoftheValley
  • Love 2

Cops, firemen, and baseball.  This show can go back to New Orleans any time.  Is Boston really this white bread in its "inspirations"?  Since many here claim that a baseball pitch is like a church, I am going to have to go with yes on that one. God I miss the Bayou.  At least New Orleans had an interesting food culture.  So far Boston is a celebration in banality.  No wonder the food looks boring.  

I am sorry for whatever mean thing that someone from Boston once said to you that one time. It clearly continues to plague you to this day.

The crackerjack people were probably not willing to pay to be on the show :)

RealityGal, you're probably right, though you have to wonder why not.  I mean, the only time people eat crackerjack are at baseball games, so I'd have to believe that being on Top Chef would be a boost.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 7

I am sorry for whatever mean thing that someone from Boston once said to you that one time. It clearly continues to plague you to this day.

Never even met anyone from Boston.  So far Top Chef Boston sort of sucks and I think it is because the inspiration for the food challenges are insipid and bland, mainly because they are focused around Boston culture, which appears quite dull to me.  

• Love 1

RealityGal, you're probably right, though you have to wonder why not.  I mean, the only time people eat crackerjack are at baseball games, so I'd have to believe that being on Top Chef would be a boost.

Perhaps, or they figured the price was too high for what would probably be marginal returns.  I mean if you have to pay 100k to be featured on the show, and you only sell an additional 10 boxes of cracker jacks from it, it might be hard to justify the cost.  Although, now that you've said it, I don't think I've ever in my life seen a cracker jacks commercial.  I used to eat cracker jacks all the time, and religiously wear those temporary tattoos.    Good times :)

I don't remember the city being so interwoven with the challenges prior to the Texas season; I may very well be forgetting some of them, but it seemed like there were a few challenges that were directly related to the local cuisine and/or culture, but otherwise the show could have been set anywhere.  I like that better than having everything they do relate back to a host city (regardless of the city).

I haven't forgotten Adam's behavior in the first episode, but I liked him in this one - when the others tried to console him with the fact the other components of his dish were well received, he rather simply replied that it didn't much matter since he didn't cook the fish properly, but did so without going into a stage four "woe is me" designed to spur them onto bolstering his ego.  His "I don't know what the Fenway kitchen will be like" concern noted, I don't understand his decision to pre-cook fish of all things, though.

Never even met anyone from Boston.  So far Top Chef Boston sort of sucks and I think it is because the inspiration for the food challenges are insipid and bland, mainly because they are focused around Boston culture, which appears quite dull to me.  

I thought the tea challenge was kinda cool, especially because they got some funky ass teas.  But I don't remember them doing the same city twice in a row, and I can't imagine that Vegas had more food culture than Boston.  Not every place can have the same amazing and rich food history/culture that New Orleans does, but I think Boston had some wonderful foods.  I pretty much gorged on lobster and pastry, but I remember it all being really good.  I think the baseball snacks challenge has been done in some iteration in quite a few seasons where a chef had to elevate junk food of some sort.

Although, now that you've said it, I don't think I've ever in my life seen a cracker jacks commercial.  I used to eat cracker jacks all the time, and religiously wear those temporary tattoos.    Good times :)

Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize. That's what you get with crackerjacks. To a jangly tune you've just earwormed me with, so thanks for that.

Of course, it was Saturday morning forty years or so ago.

• Love 9

And yet, you seem to think that you have an understanding of what Boston culture is. That's interesting. Sorry you're not enjoying the series so far, I just figured your vociferous loathing towards the city must be based on something that actually happened to you. Guess I was wrong.

Personally, I don't miss the Bayou.  I lived in New Orleans for a year and a half, and have no love for that city.  I'm looking forward to seeing if they can get a little beyond some of the expected challenges to show some of the really interesting culinary neighborhoods they have here.

I just do not find "white guy" culture to be a very good inspiration for a food challenge, and so far, that is all we have seen of Boston on this show.  The challenges are simply not that interesting because they are based around Boston culture, which they have portrayed so far as being incredibly bland.  Boston is probably a fine city in most respects, but if Top Chef is going to have challenges based upon the city's culture, then a city famed for baseball and cops is going to produce some shitty challenges.  

Well, there's the North End, for Italian food, and Haymarket for fresh foods, so there's hope.

Boston is a great city, and full of really smart people, what with the university culture. Lived in NY, Boston and Chicago. All great. Been to Louisiana. Ask me, New Orleans is nine tenths slum. Lot of poverty and prejudice in LA.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 5

Well, there's the North End, for Italian food, and Haymarket for fresh foods, so there's hope.

Boston is a great city, and full of really smart people, what with the university culture. Lived in NY, Boston and Chicago. All great. Been to Louisiana. Ask me, New Orleans is nine tenths slum. Lot of poverty and prejudice in LA.

Sure, but that is what made it more interesting food-wise.  The poverty of southern Louisiana is what spurred people to invent some very creative dishes, using local ingredients that might not otherwise have been used in food.  There is a major clash of cultures in New Orleans that resulted in some very interesting recipes that you see nowhere else on earth.  Sorry but Boston is simply dull by comparison.  The "inspiration" this week was the dullest most banal and tasteless food I can imagine, and yet it is a hallmark of Boston culture.  I dunno, I am disappointed that they set this season in Boston if this what we are going to get.  

• Love 3

It seems kind of...interesting to say New Orleans is 9/10th slum and in the next sentence criticize Los Angeles for its poverty and prejudice. As for Boston, it's a whole lot more than what's been on TV. They're doing a great job of highlighting the white middle class, past and present, but not much else.

Regardless--I am so ready for the unholy triumvirate of Aaron, Katsuji, and Keriann to be gone. If Top Chef wanted to show us loyal viewers any mercy there would be a team challenge where those three are stuck together and go out in one fell swoop. It would be a miserable hour, but I'd suffer through it just to move on to the other people who actually seem to have talent and potentially endearing qualities.

• Love 1

It seems kind of...interesting to say New Orleans is 9/10th slum and in the next sentence criticize Los Angeles for its poverty and prejudice. As for Boston, it's a whole lot more than what's been on TV. They're doing a great job of highlighting the white middle class, past and present, but not much else.

Regardless--I am so ready for the unholy triumvirate of Aaron, Katsuji, and Keriann to be gone. If Top Chef wanted to show us loyal viewers any mercy there would be a team challenge where those three are stuck together and go out in one fell swoop. It would be a miserable hour, but I'd suffer through it just to move on to the other people who actually seem to have talent and potentially endearing qualities.

I hope they will show something other than the white middle class culture of Boston.  I am white and middle class myself, but let's face it, my people are not known for their interesting food or anything.  I like it when they go to a city like New Orleans, and the guest judge is some tough Grandma who has been cooking her local cuisine since before the egos on this show were born.  

A play on a hot dog is fucking boring and hot dog is culturally lame.  Give some crazy bayou people who know how to skin an alligator by lunch over that any day.  

• Love 2

Oh, Jeez.  Every single one of the cities/states(in the case of Texas) that has hosted Top Chef has interesting culture generally and interesting food cultures in particular.  Yup, even Vegas, which for my money (of which I've spent plenty in the restaurants) has the best fine dining scene in the country outside of NYC (and yes, I'm including San Francisco).  

Every season is going to have episodes with challenges that don't scream "interesting culture"--for just the New Orleans season alone, Lea Michele's Halloween party and LSU campus cookin' come to mind as particularly bland, culture-wise.  They didn't make me damn the entire city/season.

I'm happy to blame Top Chef the show for taking lame approaches to tie-ins to, say, the Boston Tea Party--just "cook with tea" in a relatively short period (not enough time to do a ton with an ingredient that would benefit from more time to infuse flavor, as with tea smoking) wasn't the greatest.  The game play aspects of One If by Land were corny, yes.  I personally find American colonial history to be drier than, say, British Tudor or 19th century Russian history.  But that doesn't make Boston, a seminal location for American revolutionary and political history, somehow "culture free".  Me, I'm pretty averse to crowds and gross displays of public drunkenness.  That doesn't mean I think New Orleans is without cultural or culinary value just because Mardi Gras doesn't interest me.

• Love 12

You seem to confusing a lack of imagination on the part of the producers with "Boston culture."  Also, just because the things that they have focused on aren't meaningful to you doesn't mean their "banal."  It just means you don't like them.

Yes exactly - hot dogs are banal to me, which makes sense because this is my handle and I am posting here about my opinion.  But anyway, I am sure that lots of people think that ballpark food is interesting.  Okay, well if there is more to Boston culture than cops, firemen, baseball, the Boston tea party, clam chowder, and baked beans, I am all for seeing it.  So far though, for a show that has generally done a great job at finding interesting local cultural stuff to exploit for a challenge, this season is really falling very short.   

Boston has a thriving southeast Asian community, a lively Hispanic community, Greek and Armenian communities. Chinatown? Alive and kicking. The North End, with a fabulous Italian restaurant on every corner? Check. Soul food? Check. Caribbean? Check. I could go on. If Bravo has decided that a superficial "Cheers Bar" (gah!) treatment of the city is good enough, that's not Boston's fault. Its a great town with a very varied food scene. I'm sure that, in addition to the obligatory Cheers episode, we'll be treated to the "feeding of the Harvard students", and some sort of "Banned in Boston"motif. Maybe Aerosmith or the J.Geils Band or the Cars might turn up. For now, I'm just enjoying the lovely B roll of the city. Its beautiful here.

• Love 8

Does anybody else not really (ever) care where the season is set? Maybe it's because I'm not 'cultured' but I honestly don't care AT ALL where the season is taking place. I suppose some of the locations have inspired some different challenges, and they've put the chefs in some crazy circumstances- like cooking over a fire on the beach or at a museum etc. but really, they could come up with interesting challenges in any location, because they don't have to be related to where they are.

I mean, I get that doing a big ocean seafood challenge someplace landlocked in the midwest wouldn't be the best, and you won't get farm fresh produce etc. in certain places certain times of the year... but you could have a new orleans inspired challenge in any state- I'm sure they could fly in some fresh alligator... or a baseball challenge could be done anywhere, even if the venue isn't as 'cool' as fenway- though I'm sure there are plenty of other stadiums around that some people would find holy...

I want to see cooking and creative challenges... I don't care about the history of whatever random city they are in (not that I don't care about history in general, but it's not necessary for me to enjoy Top Chef or a cooking challenge)... tie it into a challenge or don't, it's just so whatever for me personally.

There were some interesting dishes this episode, but i don't know if I just wan't paying much attention during the cooking (probably, since Aaron/Kerriann etc were kind of annoying) or there are just too many people still, but I couldn't get as invested in what people were making or many of the details of what finally ended up on the plate, which is always a bummer.

I definitely could do without the drama... though I was kind of glad Aaron won the sudden death match... not because I don't want him to go home- I do... but eliminating people in the quickfire is less fun for me... and especially with this whole idea that it doesn't cost the challenger anything but pride if they lose... I could see in the future someone well liked ending up on the bottom and having their competitor tank on purpose so they both get to stay...

• Love 8

This, I will agree with.  There are a LOT of ethnic neighborhoods in Boston, and I hope they feature them more.  And no, I am not just talking about the North End's Italian cuisine.  I am talking about the Russians and Brazilian enclaves in Allston/Brighton, Chinatown, the growing Dominican and Haitian populations, the Vietnamese and Cambodian communities in Dorchester, etc. 

I don't know how many still live in Boston, but I've always associated that area with portuguese food.

• Love 1

I don't know how many still live in Boston, but I've always associated that area with portuguese food.

Do you mean Allston/Brighton, Boston or Massachusetts in general?  Because New Bedford and Fall River do still have a lot of Portuguese food.  And as I mentioned above, there is sizable Brazilian population not only in Boston, New Bedford, and Fall River but in also some of the suburban communities (like Framingham and Hudson).

I can't wait for them to get rid of the low-hanging fruit.  Asshat, go home.  World's Greatest, you can go right after he does.  The other chefs aren't nearly as obnoxious as these two but more to the point, at least half of this group hasn't got a prayer of winning based just on what we've seen for these two episodes.  Right now, it's all just eeny-meeny-miney-mo to decide who's next.  Not much mystery and zero suspense.  We get it: bad chefs cook bad food and feel bad about it.

Producers, if you want to attract more viewers, stop stuntcasting people who remind us of Russell Hantz and start casting people who can really cook.  You're out of touch with your target audience. Your audience cares more about the dishes than the histrionics.  If I want manufactured drama I'll watch Tori and Dean.  With all the people in the US who are being named as up-and-coming chefs and getting awards for what they're doing with food, is it that hard to find decent cheftestants?  

Here's my thing about the city. 

I think New Orleans added the perfect amount of crazy to infuse the show with fun it'd been missing, at least for me.  The challenges themselves could remain simpler- no digging through ice or biking around town- and yet there was still a creative edge for most of them.  And, I just flat-out enjoyed learning about New Orleans as represented by this show.  So, I came into Boston hoping the same thing would happen.  Thus far it hasn't, imho. 

I think that for me it's having an outsized impact on my perception of the show because the other elements aren't popping yet.  The food...all I'm noticing are a lot of plates with a lot of white space.  They've chosen to take an "Ink Master" approach and focus on contestants who are bickering jackasses, so I'm not getting pulled in by personality.  The competition element is so far dominated by one contestant.  

Which is to say- if other elements of the show were meeting my entertainment needs, I probably wouldn't care.  As it is...it's one more thing for me to be grumpy about as I consciously/unconsciously compare this to last season, which I loved.

Also- I need/want something to differentiate this from the competition shows I half-watch on Food Network.  The city and is culture could serve that purpose.

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 2

....I get that doing a big ocean seafood challenge someplace landlocked in the midwest wouldn't be the best, and you won't get farm fresh produce etc. in certain places certain times of the year... but you could have a new orleans inspired challenge in any state- I'm sure they could fly in some fresh alligator... 

Wait just a minute there!  I'm originally from Minnesota, and I know there are tons of chefs in the Twin Cities who could kick ass with lobster and crab!  How dare you?!?!?! (just kidding--I'm just doing my part for the interobang)

Seriously, though, we did a Cajun and Creole-themed Christmas in Minnesota two years back--offerings included (real, not mock) turtle soup, alligator fritters, fresh-made beignets, a seafood boil, jambalaya and gumbo made with real file, etc. So I absolutely agree with you about the portability, in some ways, of regional foodways--in fact, the food cultures that each of the cheftestants bring with them from around the country is one of the things I like best about the show.

I'd love to see a Top Chef Minneapolis--I don't think it would be at all what people would expect--as long as they kept Zimmern the hell away from it.

I was going to say that maybe we're just not seeing enough diversity among the offerings prepared by this season's cheftestants, but then I'm not sure that's true either.  We've had congee, Gregory's stew from the food "festival", petroleum fondue, curry, faux-mole, tea-viche, crudo, etc.  I think we just need a bit more screen time spent on the food, as someone mentioned above.  I know that the actual food describing and discussing bits at Fenway seemed to fly by/bleed together this week.

Edited by some1105
  • Love 2

Wait just a minute there!  I'm originally from Minnesota, and I know there are tons of chefs in the Twin Cities who could kick ass with lobster and crab!  How dare you?!?!?! (just kidding--I'm just doing my part for the interobang)

Seriously, though, we did a Cajun and Creole-themed Christmas in Minnesota two years back--offerings included (real, not mock) turtle soup, alligator fritters, fresh-made beignets, a seafood boil, jambalaya and gumbo made with real file, etc. So I absolutely agree with you about the portability, in some ways, of regional foodways--in fact, the food cultures that each of the cheftestants bring with them from around the country is one of the things I like best about the show.

Oh, i'm sure the chefs could do it... the challenge would just be getting in the fresh ingredients.... since I don't think any decent chef wants to make lobster or scallops with something that's been in the freezer for 6 months :P   Which I suppose I sort of contradicted myself in the next sentance anyway, saying they could bring in some fresh alligator...

But it'd be more work on the production end vs sending the Chefs out on a fishing boat to get their own crabs... but they do sort of do it all the time with quickfires- they bring in weird ingredients and make the contestants cook with them.

I grew up an A's fan, so all they had to do was bring out Eck to make me pay full and complete attention. Oh, how I love the memories of him striking guys out, then doing that exaggerated fist pump that ticked everyone off so thoroughly.  Oh, Eck... I love you so.

All that love was canceled out by Aaron, though. He cannot leave fast enough for me, and I was grinning when Katie was in the top 3.

• Love 1

"If my mom had the money to send me to CIA (Culinary Institute of America), I'd be Bobby Flay."

Hey Aaron?

Learn some FACTS before opening your trap.  Bobby's mom didn't send him to culinary school, that was Joe Allen of Joe Allen's restaurant, one of the first places Bobby worked.  He believed enough in Bobby's talent to foot the bill.

And he did not go to CIA, he graduated from the French Culinary Institute in 1984. 

Obnoxious AND ignorant is no way to go through life.  But obviously Aaron's got his excuses down pat.  Asshole. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 14

I don't really care where the show is set.

I'd enjoy seeing them come to LA and feed the RHOBH, RHOOC, Shahs of Sunset, Vanderpump Rules staff, etc. though.  Each episode would be more obnoxious than the last.  Vicki would spit out the meal.  Most the women wouldn't want to eat anything and would just want shots.  That's the reality tv culture I want to see, haha ;)

Edited by Brooke0707
  • Love 2

In Chicago, the first challenge was deep dish pizza. In New Orleans, there was gumbo early on. They were catching salmon at Pikes Market right away. It is how they always start. The use the most recognizable tourist traps and wild generalizations and go from there. I like when they show us other sides like when Emeril took them to the Vietnamese places in New Orleans, but they will always play to the common denominator.

• Love 4

Hey Aaron?

Learn some FACTS before opening your trap.  Bobby's mom didn't send him to culinary school, that was Joe Allen of Joe Allen's restaurant, one of the first places Bobby worked.  He believed enough in Bobby's talent to foot the bill.

And he did not go to CIA, he graduated from the French Culinary Institute in 1984.

In fairness, Joe Allen did that because Bobby's dad was a co-owner of Joe Allen's, and I get the idea that Aaron didn't have a dad. I also think Jonathan Waxman probably doesn't train a lot of high school dropouts from start up schools, which FCI was back then, so he's not wrong that BFlay had a leg up.

• Love 1

A word on the absence of Cracker Jacks.  Perhaps the judges didn't want to eat ANY dish that contained them!  

Someone should have used their peanuts or popcorn and made " a play on cracker jack".....  :)

• Love 5

The only good thing Dan Shaugnessy has ever done for Boston was inspiring dinosaur denier Carl Everett to nickname him "Curly Haired Boy."

But that was after Shaughnessy nicknamed him Jurassic Carl!

And FYI to those referring to him as a sportscaster - he's not a broadcaster, he's a long-time writer and columnist for the Boston Globe.

• Love 1

AND ONE MORE THING. This comment could apply to virtually all cooking competition shows, but I would like to institute a permanent moratorium on use of the phrase "a play on..." It's like nails on a chalkboard at this point. I think it was used at least three times tonight by different chefs.

Please add "Today we have..."  "We've prepared for you today..." and "a little" to that list.  It's gotten to the point where I grind my teeth whenever any of the chefs trot out one of those.

Hey Aaron?

Obnoxious AND ignorant is no way to go through life.  But obviously Aaron's got his excuses down pat.  Asshole. 

I read that as, "If I had [insert name of financial benefactor here] to put me through [insert name of fancy culinary school here], I'd be [insert name of celebrity chef here]" so I think the facts are kind of irrelevant.  He thinks quite a lot of himself, though, doesn't he?

• Love 6

It was pretty obvious that Aaron wasn't going home. I'm not that bothered by it. Yeah, he's a jerk. But he's not completely wrong fighting with Keriann and Katsuji who are also jerks and singling out whatsherface broccoli salad as the weak one in the pack. I don't think she's an awful chef but she might have a confidence/creativity issue, at least at the moment. I wasn't that thrilled with the episode this week. I don't know. Maybe there are too many contestants to focus on but I wasn't that inspired by the food.

• Love 1

This season is starting to remind me of the Texas debacle--and Texas was my least favorite season. Must EVERY challenge be slap-us-in-the-face about the city? Seriously, let's concentrate on the food, people. I'm from the Midwest and couldn't CARE LESS about Fenway. Sorry, but the ham-handed approach to this show is starting to make me cranky. The people in my state practically worship our college football team and stadium (including me), but I don't want to see a Top Chef challenge revolve around it. Ever. 

Katie crying about had me crying. Go Katie. 

• Love 3

Well to be fair, the tea challenge was fun.  I have seen an Iron Chef episode focus on tea and I never thought tea has to do with cooking.  They tried to tie it in to Boston.  But even if they didn't mentioned the city, it is a fine challenge. 

Also with the foul mouths complain, I hearing this every season (for example Nina last season).  Do people actually look at the audience warning and see that it is TV14 which is only second to TV MA (which is equipvalent to people running nude on the show without sensor). 

This show isn't scripted people.  People are free to say what they want.  And sure as heck, they will filmed when chefs argue with each others.  I just don't get these complains at all.  Top Chef was never advertise at young kids friendly since season 1.  And it isn't like there is a lack of tv shows about food either on tv that is without parental guidance.  I supposed, a fair criticism is whether the foul language actual impede one's enjoyment of the show.  I don't think it got to that level yet, nor do I think this season is somehow exception compare to the past seasons in this regard.

*kinda responding to very common criticisms of the show I saw on facebook page.

Edited by weixiaobao
  • Love 4

It was pretty obvious that Aaron wasn't going home. I'm not that bothered by it. Yeah, he's a jerk. But he's not completely wrong fighting with Keriann and Katsuji who are also jerks and singling out whatsherface broccoli salad as the weak one in the pack. I don't think she's an awful chef but she might have a confidence/creativity issue, at least at the moment. 

I agree with this statement completely.  I think he did single her out as the weakest runner in the pack, and also someone who was laid back enough to subconsciously take a backseat knowing that she couldn't be kicked off in this challenge.  

As for the city, I think they would have caught flack if they didn't do a Cheers episode, and it may be part of them getting discounts to film in the city.  I mean what better for a city like Boston to start showcasing their tourist attractions through a show as popular as Top Chef.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they did something with a duck tour and the Boston walking trail and those guys that wear the costumes and give tours.  I'm shocked they haven't done more with lobsters because I do remember the delicious lobster dishes of boston, especially the lobster rolls, which were superb.  New Orleans is a different beast entirely, and I just don't think anything can possibly compare.  Anything after New Orleans is going to be a bit of a letdown because its such a rich and diverse culture that is historically old.  LA has a ton of different cultures, but the blending of cultures and the development of the foods aren't as historically old as New Orleans.  I really enjoyed eating in Boston, but I can still taste the food from Mothers if I think about it, thats how good it was.   And I don't know, I don't mind a season of Top Chef being a little bit of a love letter to the city they are in, I think its great for viewers from the city to get to see their city showcased, and its a good way for people to learn about the city.  I hope as they go further into the competition they will start to focus on the parts of the city that have different cultures.  Like the North End, or all of these other immigrant communities I'm now hearing about, that would be interesting.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 1

Wait...what?.. Todd English has something to do with Durgin Park now???? Is nothing sacred? They had the best prime rib and Indian pudding there. I have such good childhood memories of that part of the city. In the 70's, my Nana lived in the North End and we would walk over to the restaurant, cutting through Haymarket. She got into an argument with one of the fiesty waitresses over a dirty tablecloth. The waitress had a loud Irish brogue and Nana yelled at her in Italian. Sigh...good times!

• Love 5

Wait...what?.. Todd English has something to do with Durgin Park now???? Is nothing sacred? They had the best prime rib and Indian pudding there. I have such good childhood memories of that part of the city. In the 70's, my Nana lived in the North End and we would walk over to the restaurant, cutting through Haymarket. She got into an argument with one of the fiesty waitresses over a dirty tablecloth. The waitress had a loud Irish brogue and Nana yelled at her in Italian. Sigh...good times!

No, sorry, I'm an idiot - he has, or at least had, a place across the street at Faneuil Hall.

Time to steer all of the general Boston talk to the Northeast and to the general Boston thread. Love it? Hate it? If it's not specific to the actual show (and making general statements about the city or people are not specific to the show) go there.

• Love 5

Richard, no one cares about your salmon experience.  Shut up and talk about the food in front of you.

He brought it up like it was a classic moment of Top Chef instead of something that no one else remembers.

I need my darling Ming Tsai to take over as judge for Blais and Acheson, neither of whom bring anything of substance to the judging.

I think he's cute but he's not the best at talking about food. I know they've been burned in the past but it might not be the worst idea to try out some food writers as guest judges.

New Orleans is a much more interesting and entertaining city than Boston, at least so far.  Cops/Firemen, then baseball?  That's all pretty standard stuff.  Hopefully it gets better.

What? With Paul Revere and the Boston Tea Party it's as educational as a National Treasure movie. ;)

Agreed on this. (Also, you're right to groan about the upcoming Cheers challenge, because that is one of those places that is way more important to tourists than it is to people who live in Boston).

For a hot second I thought they might have snagged Ted Danson at least. Nope. Sigh...

I'd love to see a Top Chef Minneapolis--I don't think it would be at all what people would expect--as long as they kept Zimmern the hell away from it.

As a fellow Minneapolitan, a million times yes. Our food scene is amazing, and I think it would be kind of amazing if they did a winter season here. Padma ice fishing would be gold. (And let's swap in Tim McKee for Richard Blais.)

I am interested to see where this Boston season goes. Gregory seems to be on a Paul Qui-esque tear, with Doug and Mei seeming consistently solid (and maybe Stacy is even in that category too). Otherwise, though...I'm not feeling this group's skill level so far.

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 3

I feel for Aaron, and the upbringing he had, but I was getting really pissed off hearing about how his parents couldn't or wouldn't send him to culinary school! Boo hoo! I doubt all of the other chefs got paid ride through culinary school. I believe it was Melissa who was hoping to impress her strict Chinese father with her talents, because he did not support her ambitions as a chef! I doubt he was footing tuition!

• Love 2

Well to be fair, the tea challenge was fun.  I have seen an Iron Chef episode focus on tea and I never thought tea has to do with cooking.  They tried to tie it in to Boston.  But even if they didn't mentioned the city, it is a fine challenge. 

I agree! I used to work in a tea shop, and love cooking with tea! I was disappointed there was no Lapsang Souchong (a very smokey black tea)! 

Hate the Sox all you want, but Fenway is a beautiful ball park, especially since the new ownership has invested a lot in sprucing it up.

You know, it is entirely possible for people in Boston to have feelings about our city that aren't actually in relation to anything that New York does. Really, truly. 

Amen, Sister! 

I've been a baseball fan all my life and I've been to a lot of major league ballparks.  Fenway is different. (I haven't been to Wrigley.) I'm not a Boston native but it has been my home for 25 years.  The only time I compare my city to New York is when the Yankees are in town. Beyond that, no. I have been enjoying all the Boston establishing shots though, trying to figure out where they are when I don't immediately recognize the street. 

Back to Fenway, Top Chef in the summer and this fall they had a "Shakespeare at Fenway" event. The Red Sox owners are up to something, I think - according to them it was the first time Shakespeare had ever been performed at a major league ballpark.  

Sorry to see Ron go, he seemed a decent fellow. Since Aaron does seem to be going for the Asshole of the Season Award, he is succeeding at something, if not cooking.  

• Love 4

Forgot to mention Padma's chocolate brown outfit. Holy Fenway, the leather pants and the top that plunged? Ming Tsai was a gentleman on camera at least by averting his eyes. Congrats to him.

When I saw her in that outfit the movie Flash Gordon popped into my head. It looked to me like a cartoonish sci fi from the future kind of thing.

I was reading through some of the bios and Rebecca worked at Craft after graduating from culinary school. I wonder if Tom remembers her. Speaking of Tom..he doesn't seem very interested in what's going on. Just a vibe I got. He was like a little kid at the dinner table who couldn't wait to get outside and play.