Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, QuinnM said:

That’s why I said RHONY.  I’m talking about the Sonja’s and Ramona’s of the world. Plus a lot of folks do get a degree after they have a job. Business degrees are good but you still don’t make the money until you have real world experience. So this is just another way of getting there. Her last PA is now a brand manager. That’s a nice promotion. 

Her, Bethenny's, brand manager correct? And although it is a great promotion within the SK company, it doesn't necessarily mean that she/he would get that level at another/different company. 

18 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I think a top-notch reference and demonstrated ability to produce in a highly stressful,  competitive environment count for a lot when it comes to getting your foot in the door at certain places. Many employers are more impressed by your work track record than they are by school transcripts. 

Now days, most companies want both, a degree and experience. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, QuinnM said:

That’s why I said RHONY.  I’m talking about the Sonja’s and Ramona’s of the world. Plus a lot of folks do get a degree after they have a job. Business degrees are good but you still don’t make the money until you have real world experience. So this is just another way of getting there. Her last PA is now a brand manager. That’s a nice promotion. 

So, my husband is one of those high-powered business people that went to a Top 10 MBA school.  To get in, you had to have minimum of 5 years of experience in the business sector (plus recommendations, GMAT scores, undergrad performance, etc). And in the business world, an MBA from a Tier 2 or 3 school is ok if you want just a meh job.  But if you want to move up the ranks in a Fortune 500 company, you need that Top 10 MBA degree. 

2 minutes ago, BBHN said:

It depends on a lot of factors. The job itself, the applicant's background, their age, etc.

True.  A lot also depends on the company.  Smaller companies like SG don't care so much about the degree.  For them, it is the passion.  However, if you are talking about a Big 4 consulting company/accountancy firms, i-banks, etc...  Then you need the degree and the experience. 

• Love 4

Then you need the degree and the experience

You need a degree. I know lots of people who have non-business degrees but got good consulting jobs, even with the big 4, based on their work experience. And I know people who were hired at the Big 4 straight out of college too.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

I cringed when Bethenny thought working for her rivaled a business degree.  

You and me both, sister  -- as if  "managing the dog's schedule" and "maintaining upcoming wardrobe queue" and taking pictures of " pets to provide content for social media" is anywhere near equal to getting an MBA - beyond ludicrous.

"The lucky lackey is also expected to be “onsite with CEOs for glam” (whatever that means), “coordinate daily looks” and have “a tough skin.” She’s not kidding. The reality star and diet cocktail impresario goes through aides like President Trump goes through press secretaries."

https://pagesix.com/2018/02/03/want-to-work-for-bethenny-frankel-dont-plan-on-sleeping/

Harvard, Wharton -  or taking photos of Betheny's dogs for social media -- the struggling and aspiring just can't decide!

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

Harvard, Wharton -  or taking photos of Betheny's dogs for social media -- the struggling and aspiring just can't decide!

$300K, $400K or paid rent - struggling and aspiring have an easy decision.  It sometimes seems to me that most of New York is populated by unpaid interns.  A lot of these interns are actually students at prestigious colleges.  But they need that real world experience and if their families don’t own a company they find one close by.  They do get $$ from home for their living expenses.  And if you are looking to intern without family money, hook up with someone that has it and pay for a bedroom at their place.  There are lots of different ways to get from point A to point B.  Bethenny offers one of them.

Speaking of Bethenny and her business - Her show with Fredrick starts this Tuesday.  I’m hoping someone clever with the forum topics can request a forum.  I’m guessing it’s not a topic under RHONY.

• Love 7

I have to assume you're not a desperate  millennial :)

I certainly won't say Bethenny sounds like a good boss (she seems bitchy and demanding) but this is a paid job with someone who is a celebrity and who does run several different businesses in NYC. That's going to look good on a resume. I'm also willing to bet that anyone who is hired will already be a recent graduate of business college - jobs like this in NYC don't go to high school drop outs or high school grads unless they are related to someone special. My point? There are probably Harvard and Wharton graduates *applying* for this job because it's a paid position that will allow said PA to make contacts and network with entertainment and business professionals.

To be perfectly honest, for 400k, job duties like "take pictures of my dogs and tweet them" sounds pretty sweet.

Oli Coleman has clearly never worked as an assistant to an NYC celeb if he thinks anything in that listing sounds unusual, but my guess is they were just going for the clickbait headline

This. And the demanding behavior from non celebs but genuinely high powered business people? Really pales in comparison.

Her, Bethenny's, brand manager correct? And although it is a great promotion within the SK company, it doesn't necessarily mean that she/he would get that level at another/different company. 

How is this not true of any job? That you might promote up to a position in one company that you wouldn't be considered for in another?

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, BBHN said:

Get in line, Celia.

Er, I mean, tell your "friend" to get in line ;)

A few years ago I took care of my friend's dog for 14 days. 5 days I worked from home and was with the dog 24 hours a day. 4 days were the weekends, so again was with the dog 24 hours a day. 5 days I went to the office but went in early and left early so that the dog wasn't left alone for long periods of time.

I'm calling my friend to tell him he owes me 15K

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Uhhhhh .... where exactly does one apply?

I'm asking for a friend.

LOL I hope your friend has no personal life of their own because keeping up with Bethenny's needs/demands looks like one needs to be on call 24/7. 

• Love 1

LOL I hope your friend has no personal life of their own because keeping up with Bethenny's needs/demands looks like one needs to be on call 24/7. 

I'd imagine it would be for most jobs of that type that pay that well.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, QuinnM said:

$300K, $400K or paid rent - struggling and aspiring have an easy decision.  It sometimes seems to me that most of New York is populated by unpaid interns.  A lot of these interns are actually students at prestigious colleges.  But they need that real world experience and if their families don’t own a company they find one close by.  They do get $$ from home for their living expenses.  And if you are looking to intern without family money, hook up with someone that has it and pay for a bedroom at their place.  There are lots of different ways to get from point A to point B.  Bethenny offers one of them.

Seriously. There are plenty of young people in NYC who would line up for even a shot at this job - and for jobs like this working for far less famous people. 

2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

This. And the demanding behavior from non celebs but genuinely high powered business people? Really pales in comparison.

And high-powered media people too. I've done it. I had no life, barely slept,  almost had an ulcer at one point and cursed my boss out to anyone who would listen. Totally worth it btw.

Edited by Otherkate
  • Love 6

Hehe there's a job that's a promotion at my place of work that doesn't pay anywhere near that kind of money, but does involve essentially tending client needs 24-7.... and when there's openings, there's a mass of applications. Its not my cup of tea - I do something similar but with regular hours and it pays less - but some people really love that sort of lifestyle.

• Love 3

People, let’s not get this twisted.  I quoted FilmN:

And I said:

$300K, $400K or paid rent - struggling and aspiring have an easy decision.

Right now Wharton goes for about $300K. Harvard goes for $400K to $500K for a 4 year degree.  Paid rent is what you get for a job with Bethenny.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BBHN said:

Well, different strokes for different folks.

Going back a few years, but there used to be positions known as Glam Jobs.

For example, working for Vogue Magazine or Viacom. You could have a title like assistant editor or production assistant. The pay totally sucked, and the hours were long. It was all about putting that on your "resume".

• Love 8
9 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Right now Wharton goes for about $300K. Harvard goes for $400K to $500K for a 4 year degree.  

An MBA is two years, not four.  Wharton MBA tuition is not 100K a year.

Paid rent is what you get for a job with Bethenny.  

Frankel didn't make that claim though, did she?

She said the job she advertised -- which included these tasks worthy of a future Economic Czar:

“manage dog’s schedule” 

“maintain upcoming wardrobe queue”

take pictures of Frankel “and pets to provide content for social media.” 

Was  (her own words) "an opportunity to rival a business school education."

If she'd sad  "Eh, it's a gig that helps recent college grads get their feet wet and pays their rent" that would be one thing, but her fucking ego got engaged when Page Six mocked her ad and so she thew down a self-flattering and absurdly egotistical comparison.

9 hours ago, Otherkate said:

There are plenty of young people in NYC who would line up for even a shot at this job -

Absolutely. When I first moved here in the early nineties, I was one of them.

But here's hoping none of them are foolish enough to believe Frankel's bullshit -- that taking photos of her ass in a bikini is something that rivals an MBA education -- and she should make it clear it's a personal assistant gig, not some kind of substitute for a business degree.  YMMV.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

I think you're not giving people any credit for understanding that 'an opportunity to rival a business school education' is very clearly not "I am offering you a substitute for a business degree" .

I very much doubt anyone applying really doesn't understand that it's a PA job and quite frankly if someone did make that mistake, they'd likely quit pretty quickly. And honestly, they'd have to be pretty damn dumb if they thought photographing the dogs and glam interviews was a job where they'd be following their mentor to the floor of the NYSE. There's no trick here, she's offering a PA job with the perks of being able to network in NY with entertainment and established business people.. 

Is she exaggerating the job's importance? A bit. Is that normal? Yes - most employers don't advertise their jobs with "this will go no where, you'll be used and abused and poorly compensated" - even McDonalds is a bit overly flowery in describing their opportunities.  If her fucking ego got engaged by Pagesix, oh well - is she supposed to bend over and scream "PageSix is mocking me and I MUST ACCEPT IT UP THE ASS"? I mean - they *were* mocking her, we tell people to stand up for themselves.

• Love 6
On 2/4/2018 at 8:42 AM, BBHN said:

You need a degree. I know lots of people who have non-business degrees but got good consulting jobs, even with the big 4, based on their work experience. And I know people who were hired at the Big 4 straight out of college too.

Oh, you can get hired at a Big 4 without an MBA.  They attempted to hire me as a healthcare consultant because I have a doctorate in a healthcare field with real world experience.  I would have gone in as a senior manager.  You can also get hired as an analyst/entry level consultant with just a business degree (bachelor's level) but you won't move up until you get the business degree (or comparable masters degree depending on your area). My husband has 3 masters because of his area of specialization.  So, you can get a job without the MBA but you are going to be stunted (possibly) in terms of promotions until you get that MBA.  A lot of your higher level consultants will have an MBA plus an additional masters in their area of specialization (for example, power and utilities will have an MBA plus either a systems engineering or electrical engineering masters). 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, film noire said:

But here's hoping none of them are foolish enough to believe Frankel's bullshit -- that taking photos of her ass in a bikini is something that rivals an MBA education -- and she should make it clear it's a personal assistant gig, not some kind of substitute for a business degree.  YMMV.

Bethenny clearly specifies that job duties will include managing dog schedules, organizing her clothes, and posting crap to social media. No one with a working brain is going to confuse this with equalling an MBA from Wharton. You'd have to be an idiot to not grasp this is a personal assistant gig.

And while it may only be a job as a personal assistant, doing a job like this for Bethenny Frankel would probably leave you better connected than if you just worked for some random person doing the exact same tasks. So I think she is entitled to engage in a little innocent puffery. Being her personal assistant could actually lead to something other than just another job as someone else's assistant simply because of who Bethenny is and what she does. That is what I think she is talking about when she said she's offering an opportunity that may rival a business degree - she is referring to the doors that may be opened to you if you work for her. She's not claiming that the job will actually provide the educational equivalent of an MBA. I mean she emphasizes organizing the dog's schedule, for heaven's sake. I think it's very clear she's not really trying to mislead anyone. 

• Love 10

So, you can get a job without the MBA but you are going to be stunted (possibly) in terms of promotions until you get that MBA.

I know people who made partner at some of those firms without the MBA. Granted, they were extremely intelligent and amazing at their jobs.

• Love 3

Bethenny clearly specifies that job duties will include managing dog schedules, organizing her clothes, and posting crap to social media. No one with a working brain is going to confuse this with equalling an MBA from Wharton. You'd have to be an idiot to not grasp this is a personal assistant gig.

And while it may only be a job as a personal assistant, doing a job like this for Bethenny Frankel would probably leave you better connected than if you just worked for some random person doing the exact same tasks. So I think she is entitled to engage in a little innocent puffery. Being her personal assistant could actually lead to something other than just another job as someone else's assistant simply because of who Bethenny is and what she does. That is what I think she is talking about when she said she's offering an opportunity that may rival a business degree - she is referring to the doors that may be opened to you if you work for her. She's not claiming that the job will actually provide the educational equivalent of an MBA. I mean she emphasizes organizing the dog's schedule, for heaven's sake. I think it's very clear she's not really trying to mislead anyone. 

I'm just baffled by the idea that the dog has a schedule.  Granted, I have a Frenchie so his day looks like this:

5:30 am: Potty and eat breakfast

5:45 am: Nap

12:00 pm: Potty and eat lunch

12:15: Nap

5:30 pm: Potty and eat dinner

5:45: Bedtime

I actually envy my dog's schedule...

• Love 6
3 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

I'm just baffled by the idea that the dog has a schedule.  Granted, I have a Frenchie so his day looks like this:

LOL 

(I wonder if "schedule" might be a polite way to say "walk/pee/poop dog regularly so they don't get OFF schedule.")

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

That's the life. The bulldog schedule. I'll take it.

• Love 4

Diadochkenisis you have awesome dog scheduling skills! How are you at managing wardrobe queues and posting glam shots to social media? Cuz I know of a really great job that just opened up ....

Yeah, no.  LOL.  I'm currently at work in some Lululemon yoga pants and the work polo.  Benefit of working with autistic kids all day.  I dress for comfort.  Not style. 

I don't think I'd actually mind working for her because I like her sense of humor and I appreciate people who are direct and to the point.  The actual tasks would irritate me though but that's because I'm beyond that point in my ilfe.  Great job if you are 23 and fresh out of college and have no family responsibilities. 

52 minutes ago, Higgins said:

That's the life. The bulldog schedule. I'll take it.

Dude, I tell my husband all the time that I want to come back as a frenchie in my next life.  However, they are screwed in the event of a zombie apocalypse. 

• Love 5

I don't think I'd actually mind working for her because I like her sense of humor and I appreciate people who are direct and to the point.  The actual tasks would irritate me though but that's because I'm beyond that point in my ilfe.  Great job if you are 23 and fresh out of college and have no family responsibilities. 

If the job includes joining on her travels, that could be another bonus for that job.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

Yeah, no.  LOL.  I'm currently at work in some Lululemon yoga pants and the work polo.  Benefit of working with autistic kids all day.  I dress for comfort.  Not style. 

Dude, I tell my husband all the time that I want to come back as a frenchie in my next life.  However, they are screwed in the event of a zombie apocalypse. 

There is no way any bulldog could survive without pampering. They are so used to it. 

• Love 5

The whole business degree thing was something she said out of annoyance with Page Six - I thought that was pretty obvious. Though I do believe anyone working for her would get real-world experience that would be WAY worth their effort, any young person who actually took what she said at face value wouldn't last a week with her anyway. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Otherkate said:

The whole business degree thing was something she said out of annoyance with Page Six - I thought that was pretty obvious.

When the trolls hit she named some of the firms where her past employees worked.  I think there will always be people that just nitpick every sentence, every word.  It’s the internet.  And lets face it there are people that really don’t get how you get a job, get ahead, in the world today.  There are no fabulous pensions and retiring at 30 years with a gold watch.  It moves fast and you want everything you do to help you towards the next step.  But whatever she did worked.  PageSix helped a lot.  She is overwhelmed with resumes and trying to figure out how to best sort and review.

• Love 10

For the most part when you go to work as someone's personal assistant is not about you it is about the person you agreed to serve.  Bethenny previous PA's aren't exactly running roughshod over the corporate world.  It is a nice job for a young person who wants to live next to the good life.  It is kind of the Sonja mentality-if they work next to greatness. . . .   Any titan will not be too worried about how their personal assistant is fairing they are hired to do an entry level job that doesn't necessarily have room for promotion.  There job is to assist.  Bethenny has been very upfront, she does not want a big corporate structure, she does just fine with the way her business works.  I hate to even mention this but didn't Kim Kardashian's assistant try and soar and get her wings clipped?  

Sometimes Bethenny just makes her own controversy where there need not be one.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 2

I haven't found that to be true with self-made entrepreneurs - particularly female ones. In many cases, such as mine, being an assistant to an entrepreneur is akin to a really tough version of an old school apprenticeship. In my personal experience, women in top positions go out of their way to make sure those right-hand (wo)men learn and make their own moves.  I honestly don't totally know what happened with Kim's assistant, but I remember hearing that she had actually tried to put her in a new role and it didn't work out. Happens.

• Love 8

Sometimes Bethenny just makes her own controversy where there need not be one.

Let's break this down, since *Bethenny* is making her own controversy, in theory.

Bethenny advertises for a PA position, and is fairly upfront about how its a busy job full of possibly humiliating  tasks like taking pictures of the dogs, which ain't high on my list of loved tasks.

PageSix then posts a somewhat bitchy little article about the job posting.

Bethenny then responds in a bitchy manner.

Forgive me but the start point here was not "Bethenny responds in a bitchy manner" but "Bethenny advertises for a PA position" - so how is she intentionally creating controversy here?  She actually didn't start this little brouhaha, unless her vicious act of evil was daring to post a job publically, and its hardly controversial to hire a PA. I don't mind Bethenny needing to own her nasty remarks but this particular controversy began with Pagesix being nasty, not with Bethenny creating controversy by the mere act of hiring a PA. 

• Love 12

Bethenny advertises for a PA position, and is fairly upfront about how its a busy job full of possibly humiliating  tasks like taking pictures of the dogs, which ain't high on my list of loved tasks.

Also somehow Bethenny noting PA does the OOTD pics and manages the dogs schedule has become PA takes picture of dogs.  People love to twist it.  Bethenny does a lot of OOTD type stuff. The PA arranges everything on the bed for a trip.  It will include what she’s wearing for a speech and leasure and such.  Often on a busy day she’ll do the morning look, the afternoon and then the evening.  Then she takes snaps of it.  Then it goes to the social media person and end up on Insta.  It’s the job.  The PA often goes on the day trips for speeches.  The PA sometimes goes on excursions when Bethenny is working, like LA for Shark Tank.  

• Love 6

There'd be no controversy if PageSix  hadn't responded to Bethenny's job posting with a bitchy article. 

I mean, this is a fight PageSix picked. Bethenny did a job posting. Pagesix did a bitchy article about how Bethenny's job posting was terrible. Bethenny responded so since Bethenny reacted, Bethenny is the one at fault? I hesitate to make this analogy but isn't this like blaming the bullied kid for punching the bully? Pagesix started this little controversy. 

• Love 5

Nahh, Bethenny could have gotten the last laugh at page 6's expense by thanking them for getting her job ad more notice without her having to pay for it, instead, she got into the mud with them. She really is easy to bait into reacting/showing her insecurity. 

• Love 2

Counter Nahh.... the earlier point was that Bethenny was making the controversy. Was she really "getting into the mud" simply by posting a job? If she wasn't - then she didn't create the controversy - the controversy started with Pagesix ripping into her job posting publically. They were clearly provoking her... unless you want to argue the mere act of posting a job notice is Bethenny intentionally creating controversy? Because I suspect she's fired and hired a few over the years without media incident.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Counter Nahh.... the earlier point was that Bethenny was making the controversy. Was she really "getting into the mud" simply by posting a job? If she wasn't - then she didn't create the controversy - the controversy started with Pagesix ripping into her job posting publically. They were clearly provoking her... unless you want to argue the mere act of posting a job notice is Bethenny intentionally creating controversy? Because I suspect she's fired and hired a few over the years without media incident.

Yes, page 6 started it but there was no reason for Bethenny to fire back at them, there really wasn't. Page 6 has had numerous stories about her, most much worse than this IMO, without any clap back from her yet this is when she decides to get into the mud with them? As I said, she is easy to bait when anyone dares to poke fun at her and that was what page 6 was doing. 

• Love 2

For sure.

and that was what page 6 was doing. 

So Page 6, not Bethenny, was the one trying to start shit and controversy. Glad we cleared that up.

• Love 3