Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Just an update on our sweet greyhound, Kitty. She back home after having her cancerous leg amputated and is doing fabulous. She’s back to her old self and gets around better on three legs than she did with three good and one bad. Eating like a champ. She’ll go in for cancer scans every three months but, for now, she’s wonderful. Thank you all for the prayers, encouragement and positive vibes!

I remember James Herriot saying that losing their sight or a limb, doesn't affect animals the way it affects us. Kitty probably just so thankful to be out of pain. Much love and many scritches to her.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Good news!  Is she two in the front or two in the rear?

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Thanks! Two in front. She lost back right.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I remember James Herriot saying that losing their sight or a limb, doesn't affect animals the way it affects us. Kitty probably just so thankful to be out of pain. Much love and many scritches to her.

That’s about what I told my husband when he said he felt so bad for her. I pointed out that she doesn’t feel a sense of loss the way we would. She feels free.

She’s getting a lot of lovings these days.

• Like 5
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Just an update on our sweet greyhound, Kitty. She back home after having her cancerous leg amputated and is doing fabulous. She’s back to her old self and gets around better on three legs than she did with three good and one bad.

I am not surprised, yet still pleased; cats and dogs tend to do fantastically well as tripods, especially where the removed fourth limb was causing pain or even just discomfort -- they adapt quickly to balancing on three, and are just so happy not to have that bad one bringing them down -- but amputation is still a major surgery so it's always nice to hear of a pet indeed emerging on the other side as a happy critter.

I know you'll still live from scan to scan, waiting to see if the cancer that had not metastasized at the time of surgery pops up elsewhere in the future, but you've bought her a great life until/unless that's something to deal with, so you can hopefully relax and enjoy the months in between scans -- a period that will hopefully last a good while.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
On 10/5/2023 at 6:14 PM, AgathaC said:

Just an update on our sweet greyhound, Kitty. She back home after having her cancerous leg amputated and is doing fabulous. She’s back to her old self and gets around better on three legs than she did with three good and one bad. Eating like a champ. She’ll go in for cancer scans every three months but, for now, she’s wonderful. Thank you all for the prayers, encouragement and positive vibes!

I’m so glad she’s doing well!

• Love 5

Daisy went to the vet today and has to be put on a pill for allergies. The vet thinks she may be allergic to her dog food, so my parents have to try a different brand. Other than that she's good. She plays in the yard chasing squirrels and then crashes. She snores too.

Resized_20231006_123838.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 9

I’ve talked about sweet Kitty, but this is Speedy — overstuffed dachshund (potentially with something else in there). His previous mama gave him too many treats and also gave in and gave him people food so we’re on a diet and exercise regimen. His first owner passed away a year ago and we were lucky enough to get him from a local rescue.

He is a total mama’s boy. My faithful shadow. Follows me everywhere. Sweetest little guy ever. Doesn’t bark. Loves cuddles. Enjoys turning himself into a burrito (I’m honestly not sure how he managed that…)

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

Edited by AgathaC
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
On 10/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, AgathaC said:

I’ve talked about sweet Kitty, but this is Speedy — overstuffed dachshund (potentially with something else in there). His previous mama gave him too many treats and also gave in and gave him people food so we’re on a diet and exercise regimen. His first owner passed away a year ago and we were lucky enough to get him from a local rescue.

He is a total mama’s boy. My faithful shadow. Follows me everywhere. Sweetest little guy ever. Doesn’t bark. Loves cuddles. Enjoys turning himself into a burrito (I’m honestly not sure how he managed that…)

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

Hi Speedy! He’s so cute. 

Getting a dog to lose weight has proven difficult for me. Everyone else is sticking to their calorie plan but Cosmo still needs to lose 10lbs!! I’ve cut down his kibble, I take him on long walks, give him broccoli stalks and low calorie biscuits. The vet says 800cals a day but that’s not working. I’ll go down to 700 and see.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
On 10/18/2023 at 8:29 AM, AgathaC said:

Enjoys turning himself into a burrito (I’m honestly not sure how he managed that…)

I once happened upon my late, great cat Baxter like that, and, upon unraveling him, found a toy; as best I can figure, he flung said toy - or came across the result of his sister doing so - on top of a beach towel I'd temporarily put down to cover a problem, and in grabbing it with his front paws, kicking at it with his back (as cats love to do) and rolling around in joy over his "kill" throughout, he got himself all wrapped up in the towel.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

So, related to Speedy — I’m about at the end of my rope. I have a 12.5-year-old stepson who lives with us every other week. He loves Speedy (who wouldn’t?), but he’s driving me nuts. Speedy is a mama’s boy. Very attached to me. He likes my husband fine, but just sort of tolerates SS. He’s only interested in him when he has food. Otherwise, he ignores or avoids. I’m sure that’s hard for SS to deal with.

We went through a period where SS would hug Speedy or hold onto him whenever Speedy came near. Well, Speedy didn’t like it and while he doesn’t bark, he would either wiggle away or stare at me like he was in a hostage situation. I had to call SS out on it (which pissed him off), but he finally stopped.

And now he’s started up again. Last night, Speedy got onto the couch after dinner, looking for crumbs, and SS hooked his fingers in the collar to keep him there. I told SS to release him and Speedy flew down his steps and away from him fast.

Seems like a kid who’s almost 13 could remember the proper way to treat a dog. And to understand when I’ve explained that he doesn’t like to be hugged or restrained and the way to win him over is to treat him better. But, no.

Anyone else dealt with something like this?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Seems like a kid who’s almost 13 could remember the proper way to treat a dog. And to understand when I’ve explained that he doesn’t like to be hugged or restrained and the way to win him over is to treat him better. But, no.

Anyone else dealt with something like this?

No, but from this I would suggest the SS's father have a sit down talk with him about respect for all creatures including your doggie and if that has already happened and hasn't worked, its on to family therapy. Really...I'm not being glib, because a lack of physical boundaries around animals quite often turns into the same behavior around humans and you really, really don't want this escalating. Good luck!

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, isalicat said:

No, but from this I would suggest the SS's father have a sit down talk with him about respect for all creatures including your doggie and if that has already happened and hasn't worked, its on to family therapy. Really...I'm not being glib, because a lack of physical boundaries around animals quite often turns into the same behavior around humans and you really, really don't want this escalating. Good luck!

Yeah, that’s been my concern. I can look out for my little buddy (he’s rarely out of sight). But, to me, it indicates a troubling lack of appreciation and respect for boundaries. He’s not a bad kid, but very spoiled and entitled and rarely thinks beyond his wants.

I’ll have Hubby give him a talk and we’ll watch closely.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, AgathaC said:

Yeah, that’s been my concern. I can look out for my little buddy (he’s rarely out of sight). But, to me, it indicates a troubling lack of appreciation and respect for boundaries. He’s not a bad kid, but very spoiled and entitled and rarely thinks beyond his wants.

I’ll have Hubby give him a talk and we’ll watch closely.

My kid grew up with cats. They're living, breathing lessons in consent. I'll never forget once when he was chasing around one of the cats as a toddler and he goes "He touched me with his pointy hand!" He was only about 3 but he learned not to hassle the cats.

• Like 11
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My kid grew up with cats. They're living, breathing lessons in consent. I'll never forget once when he was chasing around one of the cats as a toddler and he goes "He touched me with his pointy hand!" He was only about 3 but he learned not to hassle the cats.

Amen to that. Once my son, as a toddler (who had been forewarned about what cats find threatening behavior), got his face right up into the face of my big tom, who was trying to take a nap on the couch, and my tom gave him a good swat across the nose (just enough to draw a tiny bit of blood, but no lasting damage). That "learned him", as they say. 😺

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5

It's Ginny's "birthday" today! She is two years old, and acts like she is two months old.

ScreenShot2023-10-21at11_10_55PM.thumb.png.3195e2efa795539e851706f11096a453.png

Don't let the innocent pose fool you! She loooooves to play and follow her favourite big sister (Luna) around everywhere - bonus if she can get in some snuggles and treats. So, her birthday was perfect and spent doing all the things she loves most. I even put off vacuuming so she didn't need to hide from it ;)

We started yet another new food because the anallergenic one is on backorder, so this one is the D/D food. I also started keeping it in the freezer in case storage mites are the issue. So, I'm not sure if it's the new food or the freezer storage, but Ginny's respiratory symptoms are so much better. Still has occasional sneezes but it's dramatically less. Still contending with the diarrhea caused by the azithromycin (tried both probiotics and metronidazole, neither had any impact).

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9

My dog is showing his age now. :( I was hoping we'd get a break for a couple of years, but he's been having trouble with one of his back legs, since late Spring. 

My two remaining cats were both sick in the Spring, and both are mostly okay now. Cutie had to go to the vet again this past week, and should have gone sooner, but we couldn't get an appointment any sooner. His cold hasn't gone away, so he was getting a shot every couple of weeks, for a while there. He got another one on Monday, and after a few days, he started to join me in my room again. He'd been holed up in the little bedroom, for a couple of weeks. I had the humidifier going for him, too. 

I adore all of them, but my dog is my dad's best friend.

leaN3gP.jpg

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 11
  • Sad 7

George got out earlier, and since I knew he wasn't going anywhere, I took a few pictures before grabbing him, and getting him back indoors. I've been trying to use my proper camera more often, instead of my phone. 

ScVokRy.jpg

Edited by Anela
  • Like 7
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Anela said:

George got out earlier, and since I knew he wasn't going anywhere, I took a few pictures before grabbing him, and getting him back indoors. I've been trying to use my proper camera more often, instead of my phone. 

ScVokRy.jpg

Aww, I love black cats! What a cutie!!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Aww, I love black cats! What a cutie!!

Everyone with cats and especially black cats would do well to keep them in on Halloween. There is a special place in hell for people who chase and kill them because they think it's funny.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 4
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Everyone with cats and especially black cats would do well to keep them in on Halloween. There is a special place in hell for people who chase and kill them because they think it's funny.

Yes, many shelters will not allow black cats to be adopted in the weeks just before Halloween because people take them for cruel reasons I won't elaborate. 😿

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 9

I think that's part of why black cat day is Oct 27, just ahead of Halloween.

My Echo was a black cat, and she was the most friendly cat I've ever had. Breaks my heart to think of - luckily she never had a Halloween on the streets, before being rescued.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

One of my feral cats, Midnight Missy, is a sweet black kitty with a white flash on her chest. She is an outdoor cat, but we never have any Trick or Treaters here. Only 4 homes on our road, none with small kids. I don't think any of them have candy available.

I would be so sad if some sicko came and did anything bad to any of my cats!! I never heard of that before! What is wrong with people?

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 1

I'm one of those weirdos who gets more upset when something bad happens to animals then humans, in real life or on TV. When the pandemic started, in some of my dark moments I thought it might not be that bad if we were all to be wiped out by relatively painless virus and left the planet to animals, before we manage to destroy it completely. I am not particularly proud of those thoughts and generally don't think that way, but every now and then when I hear stories like above, it crosses my mind.

• Like 9
16 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'm one of those weirdos who gets more upset when something bad happens to animals then humans, in real life or on TV. When the pandemic started, in some of my dark moments I thought it might not be that bad if we were all to be wiped out by relatively painless virus and left the planet to animals, before we manage to destroy it completely. I am not particularly proud of those thoughts and generally don't think that way, but every now and then when I hear stories like above, it crosses my mind.

I feel the same way. I think human beings are a failed experiment.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Advice needed from the cat people here:

My four year tom, a giant orange and white tabby named Iggy, has been very quiet and inactive for the last two days which is totally unlike him. He is eating (a little but not begging for food as per normal) and drinking lots of water. His eyes are normal, his nose is cold and wet, he is alert and responsive, purring and moving as normal, albeit much more slowly than usual. I first assumed he had some sort of tummy upset from eating something outside (he is an indoor/outdoor cat) but as it has been more than 24 hours I am now worried it might be more serious. I am always reluctant to haul cats off to the vet unless it is obvious they need to go *now* as car rides and vet visits are so stressful for them, but I assume if he is not back to his regular self in a couple of days it is time to go. What do you all think?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

My four year tom, a giant orange and white tabby named Iggy, has been very quiet and inactive for the last two days which is totally unlike him. He is eating (a little but not begging for food as per normal) and drinking lots of water. His eyes are normal, his nose is cold and wet, he is alert and responsive, purring and moving as normal, albeit much more slowly than usual. I first assumed he had some sort of tummy upset from eating something outside (he is an indoor/outdoor cat) but as it has been more than 24 hours I am now worried it might be more serious. I am always reluctant to haul cats off to the vet unless it is obvious they need to go *now* as car rides and vet visits are so stressful for them, but I assume if he is not back to his regular self in a couple of days it is time to go. What do you all think?

I'd give it a day or two. Can you take his temp? They make ear ones for cats.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'd give it a day or two. Can you take his temp? They make ear ones for cats.

I did not know you could take a cat's temp other than what happens at the vet's office and no, I don't have a cat thermometer of any kind. Where do you get the "ear ones"? Are there any other signs of a high temp I could look for? (again, nose cold and wet and overall body temp when touched seems entirely normal). Thanks!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I did not know you could take a cat's temp other than what happens at the vet's office and no, I don't have a cat thermometer of any kind. Where do you get the "ear ones"? Are there any other signs of a high temp I could look for? (again, nose cold and wet and overall body temp when touched seems entirely normal). Thanks!

Amazon has them for anywhere from $8 - $30.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

I am always reluctant to haul cats off to the vet unless it is obvious they need to go *now* as car rides and vet visits are so stressful for them, but I assume if he is not back to his regular self in a couple of days it is time to go. What do you all think?

So long as you can get him to eat a reasonable amount, it is okay to wait -- cats that suddenly stop eating, or even just dramatically reduce their food intake, are vulnerable to a secondary condition called hepatic lipidosis, which is life threatening and can develop in just a day or two (it usually takes longer, but it's possible).

In an older cat, drinking lots of water would have me concerned about diabetes or hyperthyroidism, but he's young and both those conditions should cause him to eat more, not less, so my primary concern would be that he got into something toxic.  I share your philosophy of not rushing off to the vet on day one unless it's a clear emergency, but with a cat who has unsupervised outdoor access, there are unknowns -- because he could have eaten a poisoned rat/mouse, I would probably go ahead and take him in today (at least here, where there are lots of rodents, and still way too many people ignorant or cruel enough to set out poison rather than traps; maybe that's not as big a risk in your area).

• Like 6
2 hours ago, isalicat said:

I'd be concerned about a urinary blockage and it is not something that can take a wait and see response.  I lost a boy very quickly that way.  I hope he is OK.

• Hugs 4
Just now, Suzn said:

I'd be concerned about a urinary blockage and it is not something that can take a wait and see response.  I lost a boy very quickly that way.  I hope he is OK.

Thank you...that is a concern of mine as well. If he is not substantially better by tomorrow morning he is going into the vet first thing.

• Like 6

Good call on the urinary blockage possibility (and that becoming life threatening quickly) -- there was no mention of not peeing, or of going to the box and not doing anything/only dribbling, but it should have occurred to me that, being an indoor/outdoor cat, maybe he does his business when he's outside (so you never know if he is or isn't peeing).

Bandit blocked twice (thankfully with a mucus plug both times, no crystals/stones), and the first time was not even a year after he came to my parents; had he still been living on the streets then, he'd have died from it, so we were very thankful he'd found them in time.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, isalicat said:

A couple things that are probably not particularly helpful, but I’ll throw them out there. 

I once had a cat with a fever, and it was noticeable when I touched/held her. Plus, she kept retreating into corners and staring at the wall. She was eventually diagnosed with the very helpful FUI (fever of unknown origin). I imagine they treated it with antibiotics or something but it was a long time ago. She lived many more years though. 

More recently, I had a cat who very noticeably stopped eating, drinking, peeing, and was definitely not himself.  The regular vet worked him in quickly, then sent us straight to the emergency vet specialist, where he had some very pricey surgery. I clearly remember spending Jan 6 2021 in various vet parking lots and listening to the news on the car radio. All has been fine since then, although Chewy is probably staying afloat selling me prescription food. 

Not quite sure what the moral of those stories is. Trust your instincts? Sending good vibes to your kitty. 

• Like 5