Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: The Tailgate

Sorry Mike, you are in remission when it comes to your diabetes, and you are not cured. Diabetes can be caused by obesity, but other factors can play into aka family history, certain medications, illnesses, sinus infections and thyroid problems can cause a person's blood sugar to rise to dangerous levels.

I guess being overweight can make someone a bad parent. I am so tired of hearing a contestant say they put everyone first, and the weight came on because of it. Blaming others for stuffing your face is not the answer. Dolvett is taking over for Dr.JPhonyian's lets blame mom and dad for my obesity philosophy.

Rob makes me uncomfortable. Does anyone else see romance between Rob and Blake?

Oh god, I hope not.  He is deeply creepy.  I was thrilled when he lost the challenge and hoped it would signal his swift journey to Comeback Canyon and then home, but I was disappointed.  I want him off my television.

Aside from that, is it just me or did anyone else feel like nothing happened this episode? 

• Love 4

I like that most of the people who ate, ate the meatballs which was a more healthy option. And no one really went over board, 800 calories isn't too bad for this challenge and 800 calories was mainly protein so not too awful.

I know plenty of grown adults who will tell you that their problems in life were caused by their parents. I know a good number of them who have realized that they have to take control of their lives and move past that bullshit and I know plenty of others who still fall back on that. Whether you agree with it or not, our parents, our families set the tone for the rest of our lives. Some do a much better job then others. Yes, at some point in time you need to take responsibility for your own actions and move on but you really cannot completely heal when your parents have totally fucked you up. It is not as easy as saying "I am an adult so I am going to do this different". If you have not been taught how to cope, if you have not been taught how to live differently you have to teach yourself and that is damn hard.

I am tired of hearing the "You are a grown up, stop blaming your parents BS. " there is a middle ground. There is acknowledging that some people were screwed over by their parents and working with someone to change those patterns. And it is not just poor kids or severely abused kids. It sounds like Scott's Dad did a fine job of mucking with his emotions. He wants to change those patterns but to change them you have to acknowledge that they are screwed up and probably why.

Many of the people on this show want to change, that is why they are here. Some don't. Others do but they have not addressed why they got to this point in their life, beyond eating too much, why do they eat too much. For some it is screwed up relationships as kids, for others it is something that happened as an adult (sickness and death of a loved one), for others it was a failure of some sort. Telling people to just grow up and be responsible ignores the root causes that have to be addressed so that the person can move on.

I have been thrilled that this season has focused more on the weight loss and less on the psychological stuff. I prefer keeping that stuff private because I just don't need to hear what other peoples problems are and because I know that people will roll their eyes and dismissing them as whining. But it is not. They are real problems. Most of the contestants are being grown ups and trying to deal with their problems, that is why they are there. We have heard Mike talk about losing his son. Obviously, Mike was large before his son died because it was his sons wish that Mike get healthy. I am guessing Mike is doing well because he addressed whatever the initial issues were and then was able to start to lose the weight allowing him to fulfill a promise to his son. Scott is confronting his issues and moving on. Blake is losing weight and learning how to eat better.

Rob worries me. I don't think he has confronted his issues and that is why he is struggling. He had a good week this week but he is going to be a mess if he should leave the Ranch.

• Love 7

Matt was due a good week after his thoroughly unimpressive weigh in the week before.  Mike put up a good number, but Matt put up a great number.

None of the contestants ate that much - 800 or so calories takes first place?  And Rob showed he's not good at math - "if I only ate another couple of meatballs."  Rob, you lost by 300 calories, the meatballs were labeled as being 54 calories each.  You needed to eat a half dozen.  I was glad he didn't get immunity but disappointed he didn't go home.  He bugs beyond belief.

• Love 9

How does Blake keeping losing big amounts?  She is the smallest contestant there, and a female to boot. Is it because she has a young metabolism?

Its time for them to rotate the teams. How is blue going to do anything now?  Speaking of blue, Jesse looked otherwordly-beautiful last  night with that blue jacket that brought out his eyes.

If Mike doesn't win the at home challenge, and then go on to a lucrative career in motivation speaking/training there is no justice.  He is awesome.  He also has the best body of all the male contestants.

MIKE FOR PRESIDENT, SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE AND SENATE MAJORITY LEADER

THERE SHOULD BE A NEW, THIRD POLITICAL PARTY CALLED "MIKE".   I

• Love 6

Mike really does have the best physique.   He's even starting to get some definition in the abs, though he has about 50 lbs or so to go.   I noticed how feminized Matt's physique was next to Mike.   Mike must have been a hell of a wrestler.

I knew that rage boy would not win immunity based on how they kept focusing on his sneery little shark eyed mug.   Of course he busted out a little white team rant and tried to pass it off as humor.  No, that guy is pissed always.   I can't see Blake with him at all.   She's very pretty, and he's creepy at 400, and would also be at 180. 

Lori actually looked pretty, and she's starting to develop a waist.   I do not know who the cross eyed woman is, but she bugs me for no good reason.

Speaking of creepy shark eyed guys, who is Jordan?    I've never seen him before.    Did he shave or something?

• Love 3

I wonder how these contestants will do in the long run. It seems like a lot of former athletes do well on the show because they get into the competition, but when there is no longer any active weight-loss "game" to motivate them, they gain back. Season 1 winner Eric is a classic example, but I think there are others. As much as I'd rather not hear the dime-store psychology on this show, I do hope they all get some help so they can maintain their life changes after the show is over.

• Love 1

But sometimes there isn't any psychology to blame. Some people just love eating. I was thinking I could easily knock out at least 2,000 calories in the tent in three minutes, but would not be able to enjoy them, so it was less tempting. Most people are shocked when they learn how many calories they need vs what they consume, so counting calories is a good way to go. it is work, and you need to do it the rest of your life, unless you get an incredibly demanding physical job.

• Love 3

I would have been able to kill that tent, easily. No question about it. Wings? Donuts? Meatballs? Toss in some beer and I can do some serious damage with those type of foods.

Blake is recently removed from her playing days but her pictures from her glory days 6 months ago and they do not show her in anything that looks like good shape.

• Love 3
I would have been able to kill that tent, easily. No question about it. Wings? Donuts? Meatballs? Toss in some beer and I can do some serious damage with those type of foods.

I couldn't believe that the 'winner' of the temptation challenge only shoveled down 800 or so calories.  The way Toma and Rob were stuffing their faces they could have easily put down a couple of thousand calories.

• Love 2

If Mike doesn't win the at home challenge, and then go on to a lucrative career in motivation speaking/training there is no justice.  He is awesome.  He also has the best body of all the male contestants.

MIKE FOR PRESIDENT, SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE AND SENATE MAJORITY LEADER

THERE SHOULD BE A NEW, THIRD POLITICAL PARTY CALLED "MIKE".   I

Mike's glory days wrestling & playing football were at Princeton, an Ivy League university. He's an attorney.

Does anyone else see romance between Rob and Blake?

Oh God, here I am thinking, "which GUY is Blake? i don't remember there being any guys who were out?

I knew that rage boy would not win immunity based on how they kept focusing on his sneery little shark eyed mug.

Everyone dislikes Rob.  I think it's because he looks like the 12 year old fat kid in school that everyone hated, everyone wanted to beat up and no one liked. He's the softest  looking person there, he looks like he is like 1% muscle. I don't know, maybe everyone dislikes what they never want to become themselves.

• Love 3

I can understand some people saying my parents and/or family is part of the reason why I overeat or have some emotional problems, but I hate the way they act like it is the only reason why obesity is caused. I am not a counselor, but I think there is a lot more to the bad eating habits than my father treated me like crap or my parents did not teach me healthy eating habits. I hate the trainers trying to convince the contestants that mom and dad are to blame for all your problems instead of trying to focus on all the issues concerning food and the many reasons why food becomes the way to deal with pain and anger.

The people behind the show likes to pick people with sob stories because they like to portray the image of hey, we can heal you. Some of the contestants go from co-dependency on food to co-dependency on the trainers or even other contestants. Imo, I think some of the contestants have some serious emotionally issues which needs more than a personal trainer and weight loss aka Shay, the one poor guy who lost his wife to cancer and got remarried, the young guy who was the heaviest man on the show who went on with his father (the one season where Jillian left the second the second time.)

I do not know what makes me more sad-the contestants who are willing to be used for ratings and in a round about way, being brainwashed into believing they will be save by a group of people, or the group of people who think they are the answer to the war on obesity and love the co-dependency and the hero worship they get from people with the worse sob stories and desperation to lose weight.

I haven't even really gotten the sense that the other contestants dislike Rob...I just see it here (and I'm part of the Rob NOT love-fest for the record). Other than Mike, nobody has made any kind of impression on me. In my last week's episode post I even called Lori "Laura". Whoops! Until last week I thought Woody was "Toma". Right now I can't remember the name of the blue team lady who cries about her kids. At this point I'm just watching for Ali's horrible, yet endearing delivery. Team Sweeney FTW!

That food was disgusting looking. It is hard for me to understand how any of it was appealing to anybody. At least Scott was smart about what he chose to eat, the meatballs were the plainest thing there. Better yet, the woman who did burpees in the tent instead. What a non-surprise that Rob  stuffed his face. I don't get that as long as this show has been on, and as many times as they have shown this challenge, that contestants STILL fall for this stunt and eat that crap. How great was it that Rob STILL didn't get immunity? Loved. It.

I think immunity is a double edged sword, though, because if you don't work your ass off the week you have it, you end up sinking your team. I liked the season where they allowed contestants to save their immunity for a week where they felt they really needed it. 

I felt bad for Damien once AGAIN having the pressure of having to come up with a big number for his team. 7 was a decent number. If they needed more, maybe the rest of them could step it up and stop depending on him so much. I am sorry to see Gina go. She was a hard worker, no drama, and not a complainer. I loved how excited she was to get a second chance, lol.

I loved Mike's poem, and I hate poetry. But I thought it was really wellwritten and insightful. I am so sorry to see him go home, especially with an 11 pound loss. But Matt really kicked it. 16 pounds? Wow. 

I think Scott is a great guy a nice person and he seems to know exactly what his issues are, which is helpful. I can't wait to see what he looks like at the end. MIKE looks phenomenal now! WOW! He is sure keeping up the good work!

One thing that really bugged me was in the next week promo, when the voiceover says, "Every pound they lost was because of their trainers." Basically giving the contestants NO credit for discipline or hard work. One thing that Jillian ALWAYS did when she was on the show, and she does it on her podcast as well, was tell people that THEY were responsible for their weight loss..THEY showed up with the right attitude, THEY put in the work, THEY deserve the credit. And it was a good tool to push people to remember that the success is coming from inside.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 4

I don't mind Rob, but whoever said he has little shark eyes is right on.

I too could have killed that tent and washed it down with some fountain full-sugar soda noooooo problem. I wish I had one of those systems that, when I'm working out/eating healthy, starts to find fried shit and salty grease disgusting, but I don't. And I didn't marry one either. Butter 2016! Hee.

That Mike went to Princeton makes me the proudest I've been of the place since finding out Michelle Obama went there.

• Love 4

Mike's glory days wrestling & playing football were at Princeton, an Ivy League university. He's an attorney.

Dang as if I didn't already think he was amazing. Thanks for linking to that! Mike please take the at home prize!

This week was kind of blah. I like the type of food shown in the tent but the food itself looked far from fresh so I don't know if I would've eaten any. I want my greasy fattening stuff hot, fresh & fly free. (I have a outdoor food issue, yeah I'm weird.)

I don't know who the gal was that did burpies in the tent, because I still don't know most of these folks, but she impressed me doing that while staring at food she hadn't had in weeks. Go whoever you are.

Blake didn't seem quite as giggly this week. Thank goodness. She still annoys me for some reason. Although that is mild compared to Rob. Ugh. He gets this look of anger on his face sometimes & I expect him to start beating people. He seems to be masking deep rage. I wouldn't want to be around when it pops. I don't feel like anything he says is sincere.

I'm still surprised how much more I like this with Jullian gone & Bob a sidelined sideshow. With that & the red line being back it's a much more enjoyable show.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 3

The temptation challenge was perplexing. First of all, the food was all lukewarm. I wouldn't be that tempted to chow down on cold onion rings. Second, how long are the contestants in the tent? Do they complete the challenge right before meal time? I was shocked to discover that everyone only had meatballs and the person who won only ate 800 calories. Weird.

• Love 3

Not only is he an attorney, he specializes in people with disabilities.  Go Mike!

• Love 3

What was with Woody's taunt after his weigh in? I wonder if it came from a place of fear or love.

I am also bothered that the trainers allow the "I put everyone before me" obesity excuse. What does that have to do with calorie intake?

Also can you just trash a pile of needles like that?

Edited by finkleiseinhorn
  • Love 1

Not only is he an attorney, he specializes in people with disabilities.  Go Mike!

My biggest problem with The Biggest Loser is that it makes me question my sexuality...I already broke up with Dolvett after his cheeseburger tantrum, but now I think I may be in love with Mike. I really need Jillian to come back.

I really hope that Mike dumping those needles was just for show.  Because dumping them in the trash like that is a huge no-no!  I felt incredibly sad to see his son's gravestone and noticed that he died at only 21.  What a sad waste of a young life.

Also can you just trash a pile of needles like that?

I really hope that Mike dumping those needles was just for show.  Because dumping them in the trash like that is a huge no-no!

That kind of bothered me, too, so I also hope it was just done for show.  Those needles could have been given to someone else who could use them.

I felt incredibly sad to see [Mike's] son's gravestone and noticed that he died at only 21. What a sad waste of a young life.

According to Mike's website, Ehren died on June 9, 2008, during Special Forces training exercises at Ft. Bragg on a 104°F day.

I can't even begin to imagine what must have been going through Mike's head while working out on TBL—under conditions eerily similar to those which killed his son. Heartbreaking!

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

It didn't surprise me that Rob went for the food. He seems to always be looking for the easy way out. How many times did he mention "if I had only eaten a few more meatballs", not "I should make sure I really work hard in the gym this week".

I confess I got a little teary when Mike was at the cemetery.

Lol at Comeback Canyon fail for YET another week!

Whoever said Toma = Andy Garcia was spot on!

• Love 4

But I want a true red line, regardless of team.

Since they have teams at the beginning I'm okay with a red line for the team that loses (as opposed to a general red line).  It still leaves a little drama as to who will go home without having all the bs voting. 

I'm glad Rob didn't win immunity.  If he would have won it, I'm not sure he would have worked hard enough to help the red team.  He only cared about being safe for himself.  The guy on the white team that won immunity, still worked hard enough to help his team out.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 1