Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/06/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Don't forget Jenny..... she may not have been there long.... but she sure was part of the train wreck

I like Rosie O because she always seems genuine..... I always thought she would make a good friend to hang out with.

I'm with you Morgalisa about Whoopi... I just don't get her

• Love 7

I've listened to Rosie O's radio show, read her book and always felt she would be fun to have a beer with ,even though I don't drink beer.  Whoopi has presented with quite an energy change which I attribute to the arrival of Rosie and having some gray matter on the couch.   I need Whoopi to shut up now so that I can continue to enjoy this show, something I did not think was possible after last season. She has never made me laugh. Never on this show anyway.

Wasn't Whoopi the spokesperson for adult diapers a while back?

I want to pick John Leguizamo up and put him in my pocket.

I am hoping that Nick Cannon is only there Thursday to push some show he is on and won't be grilled on his personal life.

• Love 7

I'm with you Morgalisa about Whoopi... I just don't get her

I think Whoopi is talented in certain areas, but she makes an abysmal talkshow host. There is a reason her prior attempts in *talk* in both television and radio have failed miserably. I remember being somewhat shocked when I first heard that she'd been hired for The View. I was pretty confident that she would suck at it and that she was clearly just stunt casting. The sad part is that, much like Bitsy, she never even tried to significantly improve even after all this time. Suffice it to say that if she decided to move on from this show I wouldn't miss her.

• Love 12

I am hoping that Nick Cannon is only there Thursday to push some show he is on and won't be grilled on his personal life.

I think he's there to promote a health initiative he's doing, he was on Morning Joe a few days ago, but I wasn't paying close attention.  I know that he was talking about how important vaccines are - laughs, now there's a change!

Generally, I like Whoopi but not so much in this venue.  She's really obnoxious with her talking over, having to have the last word and transitions, along with support for incredibly shady/questionable people and situations...

eta: I lied, lol.  There is a new Drumline 2 movie and then series coming up.  He did talk a lot about health though so I forgot. 

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 5

Rosie O is more fan friendly IMO.  She seems to genuinely like meeting people and hearing their stories.  Whoopi OTOH has always struck me as someone who couldn't be bothered with anything related to celebrity other than the perks.  I get that she is an EGOT winner but that doesn't excuse her sometimes rude obnoxious know it all attitude.  Humble is not a word I would use to describe Whoopi.

• Love 8

I had to laugh when Robert noted that the View ladies were so polite in letting one speak.  Meanwhile the Sharks were talking over each other. 

Side note: did anyone get the name of the bracelet?  Those were really nice and I want one!

• Love 1

After watching the new View, I have to say it's 1000 times better than it used to be.  Nice to see them attempt to put on women with some brains, and not have the idiot train of Elisabeth,  Sherry and Jenny, who were insults to women.  

But, even though the show is better, Whoopi and Rosie P irritate me the most.    Whoopi is so full of herself. She has some arrogant aura about her like we little peons would never understand the Hollywood star life, She also is an idiot when it comes to bragging about beating her children.   When she said her daughter said she would call youth services, I can see why since Whoopi thinks beating a child is ok.

Rosie P is fine at times, but sometimes she acts like she's the official latins spokesperson.   I get being proud of her heritage, but there is never a conversation where she passes up an opportunity to somehow bring the issue of latinos into it, whether or not it makes sense.  For instance, the fact that  Latino solders are not speciaflly given credit in the military was just odd for her to mention.  Also, who ever heard of an awareness month the starts in the middle of a month?  Weird!

Beyond all of that, she just acts like she has so much knowlege on eveyrthing, kind of like Whoopi.     Add to it her annoying nasaly voice, and she can be super irritating - althnough, I will take her over any of the idiots I mentioned above from the past.

• Love 2

Rosie P is fine at times, but sometimes she acts like she's the official latins spokesperson.   I get being proud of her heritage, but there is never a conversation where she passes up an opportunity to somehow bring the issue of latinos into it, whether or not it makes sense.  For instance, the fact that  Latino solders are not speciaflly given credit in the military was just odd for her to mention. 

I agree. It was the same thing when they mentioned about an all female Ghostbusters movie and she mentioned that nobody had mentioned anybody of colour. (They only showed 4 women - but I could only recognize Melissa McCarthy - and I don't think she'd be good for that role). Then she mentioned that the original GB had a black dude in it and my first thought was "you don't even know his name?" I think for the femaled GB movie you'd need women who can do both comedy and more dramatic things. (Sandra Bullock comes to mind as a female who can handle both). I don't think you should higher a woman of colour just for the sake of hiring a woman of colour. Hire the 4 woman that you think will do the best job.

• Love 1

I agree. It was the same thing when they mentioned about an all female Ghostbusters movie and she mentioned that nobody had mentioned anybody of colour. (They only showed 4 women - but I could only recognize Melissa McCarthy - and I don't think she'd be good for that role). Then she mentioned that the original GB had a black dude in it and my first thought was "you don't even know his name?" I think for the femaled GB movie you'd need women who can do both comedy and more dramatic things. (Sandra Bullock comes to mind as a female who can handle both). I don't think you should higher a woman of colour just for the sake of hiring a woman of colour. Hire the 4 woman that you think will do the best job.

Even though she seems to be a good fit... Rosie P was hired because she is a Latina..... and I'm not being disrespectful in saying that... ABC said that..... remember that October Gonzalez was going to be hired until they found out she was not a Latina, she just married one

• Love 1

That was kinda odd.. Rosie O seemed completely angry when she was talking about that Horror show

Perception is so funny, I thought she was just exaggerating her facials because she hates horror stuff as much as I do... it actually scares me and I don't like it!  First time I saw the Exorcist was at a drive in, I hid in the space under the glove compartment I was so scared!

Even though she seems to be a good fit... Rosie P was hired because she is a Latina..... and I'm not being disrespectful in saying that... ABC said that..... remember that October Gonzalez was going to be hired until they found out she was not a Latina, she just married one

That's my take regarding Rosie, it's her role to represent and advocate for Latinos as a Latina.  We have a full set of perspectives now, Black, Republican, Latina and Gay.  I'm pleased that there appears to be grown-ups at the table compared to the last oh, since Joy left.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 6

Personally I like scary movies..... psychological thrillers are my favorite.... when I was younger I liked the slasher movies because they seemed so real.... but going back and watching them they seem so fake.

Did anyone catch what channel this new horror show is on??

I always liked Jenny and felt she was put in a bad position--a short contract on a dying show.  She was hired to "make sparks" and to bring more FLUFF to a show that had slowly become lint. Bill Geddie should be sued.  Jenny's a smart chick and if she can ever shed the vaccinations blowback, she might have a second (third? fourth?) career.  She's pretty, quick-witted, and I hope the best for her.  Most of our "stars" have a lot of flaws--I just choose to overlook them...on those I like.

• Love 7

That was kinda odd.. Rosie O seemed completely angry when she was talking about that Horror show

Nah, not angry. Just giving a big no thank you to the big scary. I love AHS, but even I have to admit that last night's season premier was probably the most disturbing one they've ever done on the series. It was wacko and definitely not something that's going to appeal to a broad audience, especially that damn clown. Yikes!

• Love 3

Personally I like scary movies..... psychological thrillers are my favorite.... when I was younger I liked the slasher movies because they seemed so real.... but going back and watching them they seem so fake.

Did anyone catch what channel this new horror show is on??

It's on FX. Season 4 started last night. After seeing it I wouldn't recommend starting with this season though. I think Netflix and Amazon have the first two seasons up, but not season 3 yet. It just came out on DVD. Each season is a completely new story (haunted house, asylum, witches coven and now freak show). Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 3

I have a hard time with horror/suspense movies and shows, too--watching people be murdered does bother me, personally, and I've always been odd that way. Of course, that also happens in most movies these days, not just horror specifically. That said, I do often watch horror anyway, even though I'm on edge the whole time. Not because I'm scared, but because I really don't enjoy watching the horrible things that happens to the characters. AHS: Freak Show's premiere was very good to me. I first got into that show when Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett came on during Coven, and watched Asylum afterwards. A lot of amazing actresses on that show. The show is very, um, creative with its horrific moments, by the way... More's the pain for me. lol

Personally, as far as discussion upthread, I don't think there's anything wrong with hiring people of color specifically. Sometimes it has to be done that way because writers/directors envision their characters as white automatically, which is why there are much fewer interesting female and/or diverse characters. Believe me when I say there are plenty of actors/comedians that are more than capable to do the job from any race--they're just waiting to be given a job. Rosie P is a great example--she obviously was hired because of her race, and yet she's easily the best on the panel right now, imo.

• Love 6

I enjoy suspense movies/programs...and even horror, but they must be done well.  No slashing just for slashing's sake.   I was born in 1940 and my city (Phoenix) didn't have much TV until the 50s.  There was nothing scary on TV...or my mother might have monitored our ONE station.  I do remember going to the movies (mother, two sisters and me)...some double feature.  I don't remember what we DID see, but I'll always remember what we did NOT see.  She pulled us out of that theater before the scary movie could even start.  "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein."   For that reason (my mother), I didn't see any supposedly scary movies until I was an older teenager.  Nuthin' scares me!  Bring it on...but make it a good production.  All the American Horror seasons have been great...production-wise.

• Love 2

OMG.... Nichole is bringing up the Syrian red line?? She claims that the "red line" was not enforced and no one pushed back..... they let it stand like it was the truth.

Now it was true that we did not bomb Syria because of the chemical weapons..... instead we made an agreement to demand that Syria get rid of their chemical weapons.... and that was successful.... but because we didn't bomb them the Right wants to promote a weak President.

It seems to me that getting rid of deadly chemical weapons without causing more death and destruction would take the actions of a strong President.

Shame the hosts on The View doesn't seem to get that.

I've struggled to give Nicolle a fair chance.  She spouts off on things that aren't true, and the others are either too uninformed, or simply unwilling to look like they're picking on the lone republican, to correct her.  I've begrudgingly forgiven her for stating Ebola is curable, so we shouldn't be so afraid, but I'm pretty ticked about Tuesday's show.  She could not be more aligned with Republican talking points when she stated their idiotic - the terrorists hate us because of our freedom.  I hate that bullshit propaganda.

I'm bothered in a way that I never was with Elisabeth.  Elisabeth was clearly an uninformed ignoramus, parroting what her party told her.  Nicolle has got gravitas in the political world, and the other ladies seem more than happy to bow down to her experience.  I'm glad Nicolle saw through Sarah Palin, but it was obvious to anyone with an IQ above ten that she was the wrong person for the job.  I also think that if things had gone a very different (and horrible) road, she would be bragging about her connection to the second term vice-president.  Now if she laid the blame where it belonged - McCain - she would regain my respect.

They were talking about how people "melt" when they meet the President. I gotta say it is kinda real. Back in 1992 I shook hands with Bill Clinton before he was elected. It was a heart in your throat moment.... I didn't get to ask him a question but the guy next to me did while I was shaking his hand. An incredible moment.

I shook hands with President twice.... he has the softest hands..... the first time I was planning in my head to shake hands and say something clever about the upcoming debate.... but of course when it was my turn to shake hands.... I got all flustered and tongue tied and mumbled something sounding like an idiot Im sure. The second time I thought I'd get my book signed...... no chance for the Secret Service to allow me close to him with a pen.... I had to set it down to shake hands.

I've only met a president once, and it was in a dream.  I visited W. and he gave me a nice tour of his ranch.  I told him that I absolutely despised him as president, but was surprised that he seemed nice in person.  He took it well.

• Love 7
I've only met a president once, and it was in a dream.  I visited W. and he gave me a nice tour of his ranch.  I told him that I absolutely despised him as president, but was surprised that he seemed nice in person.  He took it well.

RedheadZombie that totally cracked me up.....thanks

I swear I had 2 dreams about being at The View and asking Elisabeth questions..... I don't remember them any more.... but both times it freaked me out

• Love 2

The whole Stephen Collins thing is so disturbing. I can't imagine what it must be like to learn something like that about someone you've worked with and thought highly of (much less what it must have been like for his soon-to-be ex-wife). Shocking and horrifying.

• Love 6

The whole Stephen Collins thing is so disturbing. I can't imagine what it must be like to learn something like that about someone you've worked with and thought highly of (much less what it must have been like for his soon-to-be ex-wife). Shocking and horrifying.

Stephen Collins is the only person responsible for his actions.  BUT, his wife (at the very least) turned a blind eye to the abuse.  Documents were obtained that reveal a disturbing conversation between her and her husband.  She said that when she was pregnant (1989), Stephen expressed relief that the baby was a girl, because he didn't think he could keep his mouth off a little boy's penis.  Yet, she stayed with him until 2012, and only revealed his history after he filed for divorce.  She expressed both anger that he wouldn't acknowledge his pedophile ways, as well as outrage that he was divorcing her.  

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 2

So, when the show was about to end today, I found myself thinking about all the things I had to do today, and went to grab my list (I'd be lost without my lists, lol).  I was about to turn off the tv, but it didn't look like it was about to end.  It wasn't.  It was 11:35 a.m.

It's not supposed to be that way.  I'm supposed to be thinking "wow, is it over?  That was fast".  I think the show is good, just not a real lot of fun.  You have to make your own fun with it.*  Or just enjoy what it is, which I have been trying to do.  I like it; I'm not saying I don't - something must be keeping me watching.**  There are things that do bother me:

- I didn't mean to start a Rosie-hate here,*** but I do wish she'd stop the close-up camera faces when she walks in.  I don't even know why that bothers me, because out of all the things that bother me about the "new" show, that really shouldn't be one of them.  Maybe because I liken it to the two-finger eye-pointing in someone's own eyes, then they direct the two-finger pointing into your eyes, and also when someone shines a flashlight in your eyes.  Not funny.  Just.don't.

- Whoopi's "how about this?".  Think of another way to introduce topics because that's just lame.  Terrible moderator.  "Moderator".  Maybe they need to change her job description.  A moderator moderates.  Think about every political debate.  The moderator moderates, speaks very little, just manages the conversation while making sure it does not get out of hand, basically enforcing the rules of the debate.  How about "team leader"?  The team leader gets to speak the most, and decides who speaks and when and about what, and for how long. 

- Totally agree with you, RedheadZombie.  I am trying harder than I would for other new co-hosts to like Nicolle.  The other three do clam up whenever higher-power Nicolle deigns to speak politics, and remain quiet until she finishes her point, which I find ironic, since Nicolle seems to be the one who interrupts on every subject more than anyone else does.**** 

- Maybe more variety.  I'm afraid to mention chefs/cookbooks/cooking segments but since Whoopi has changed maybe she won't do the same stupid things.*****  Or maybe they feel this type of thing is below them now?

-  Informercials.  Like there's not already an inordinate amount of time spent on commercials.  And Marilu Henner.  Why?  Very annoying.  I get they need to "pay the rent" but come on, there's already no shortage of commercial time on this show.  I am guessing they've taped about six to ten, and will just rerun them.  Even though it's just once a week, it's the cheesiest thing I've ever seen on a talk show.  I do recall that Sherri shilled for the show, but it wasn't an entire segment, but I stopped watching a few years before she left so I don't know if it still went on after that, or if it did turn into a segment of the show.  I agree with fellow posters who feel tricked into watching this pathetic blatancy.  Rosie does introduce it (more previous and right before), but it's purposely very low key, so I can understand feeling tricked. 

There's way more but this is already too long (sorry to take up space for a rant). 

* And I did!  When Whoopi sat down, I thought "she's wearing Liberace's smoking jacket.  She was invited to raid the closet and chose that.  It looked better on Michael Douglas".  Then, when Nick Cannon came out wearing what I thought were Liberace's bedroom slippers, and he said there was a pair on its way to Whoopi, well, that just did me in.  Almost spat out my coffee laughing. 

** It's probably being able to come here to vent!

*** She's not a bully.  I know it's a popular thought, but she is probably the most generous, kind-hearted famous person ever.  I think it's because she is a stickler for fairness.  She really seems to want things to be fair.  I think she's called a "bully" based on only two things.  1.  Tom Selleck.  She knows the truth, everyone who worked on her show does too, and many viewers as well.  He was told she'd be asking about his membership in the NRA, and really, if any celebrity puts their name to something, and signs it, shouldn't they be prepared to defend that?  Should they not be accountable?  2.  EH.  All Rosie asked of her was, as a friend, could she just please acknowledge that Rosie did not call our troops "terrorists".  And ever the jerk, even though it wouldn't have been any skin off her ass or her pursed-lipped scowl, wouldn't do it.  I don't call that bullying on Rosie's part.  But "poor" Tom Selleck, and "poor" little Bits, being so vicitimized by such a "bully".  Bullcrap.

**** And yet they all still completely clam up whenever she interrupts on any subject!  Go figure.  I'd like to see that stopped.  Nicolle is not the higher power here.  They should be equals.

***** Okay, you got me.  I'd like cooking segments.  Not the inane messes presented in the past.  But with their cool new digs, it doesn't look like that would fit in.

• Love 7
- I didn't mean to start a Rosie-hate here,*** but I do wish she'd stop the close-up camera faces when she walks in.  I don't even know why that bothers me, because out of all the things that bother me about the "new" show, that really shouldn't be one of them.  Maybe because I liken it to the two-finger eye-pointing in someone's own eyes, then they direct the two-finger pointing into your eyes, and also when someone shines a flashlight in your eyes.  Not funny.  Just.don't.

This needs to be in BOLD, Dreamboat Annie.  Such corny schtick went away in the 50s...it was old then.   Best four words of the day?  "And Marilu Henner. Why?"

I think Rosie was a bully...there were reports of her bullying staff and crew on her old show (didn't someone write a "novel" about it?).  I think she grew up in a pushy family and she became the pushiest.  She was rich and successful...and rich.  Few people talked back.  I think she has been toned down by medication and therapy, but I see a little glint of the bully in her eye occasionally.

• Love 1

Jenny's a smart chick and if she can ever shed the vaccinations blowback

She won't, she's done possibly irreparable damage to herd immunity in this country spewing lies about vaccines and pushing pseudo-scientific "cures" that often do more harm than good to children with autism, and as such, deserves the scorn of any mother.  Even the entertainment industry is doing a victory dance about proving that she was full of bullshit - at the Global Citizen Concert a few weeks ago references were made to her and the damage she's done.  Her PhD in Google does not make her smart, taking her clothes off gained her fame.

Stephen Collins, so incredibly disturbing - I'll bet it's really hard to be Ro right now, having been friends with him.  You never really know people do you? 

I'm not going to go too far in the Wallace thing - but she was merely talking about an ongoing surprise of prominent Democrats (now Jimmy Carter) speaking against Obama on his Middle East policies..  That's just a fact, go read the news.  Democrats running in tough geographic areas (primarily the South) have tough races in some states that never went for Obama, layer on that the Secret Service Scandal, Ebola and ISIL/Syria/Iraq (along with the fake scandals of the IRS and Benghazi) and it's a tough sell right now - and quite understandable why they aren't asking Obama anywhere near their campaign rallies, they've opted for the Clintons and Elizabeth Warren.

• Love 4

When Bill Clinton and GWB were both in their second terms I seem to remember their party's candidates distancing themselves from them.  So Democrats in tight races (particularly in red states) not wanting to be associated with President Obama is understandable.

I was holding my breath today for fear Whoopi would somehow find a way to defend Stephen Collins and tell us "we weren't there".

Well, this story is just breaking so I'm sure Whoopi will have time to say something about it that will have us shaking our heads in disbelief.

• Love 7

The "Death with Dignity" conversation on today's show was excellent. Totally honest and heartfelt and respectful of each other with the right amount of levity. I can't even fathom how that discussion would have gone last season or the season before-- and I'm glad i never had to experience it. Despite some of the little quirks that may annoy some of us in this current panel, the level of discourse has gone up dramatically.

• Love 12

- at the Global Citizen Concert a few weeks ago references were made to her and the damage she's done.

Got a link to that?  I'm interested in reading it.  As for her being "smart"...(crickets) Mileage varies.

Back to topic: I fast forwarded through last week's informercial, I fast forwarded this week, and I will continue to do so.  I know they need to push product, but that was just so forced.

• Love 3

Today's show, although pre-recorded was very good.  Even RosieP's Home Goods infomercial was palatable.  One thing that I find annoying & very distracting is Whoopi's constant "Uh-Huhs".  I wish there was a way to point it out directly to her, but then she'd probably just do it more to give me the middle finger.  Just saying'.

• Love 5

To me Rosie is not a bully. I never watched her original Rosie show, but I've been a fan for a while. She cares deeply and passionately about thing and I like that in people. I love when people get angry and want to help others who are being wronged or mistreated. And, I guess that is why I'm pretty meh about Whoopi, I used to really like her before the view. After watching her I thought she came across so self absorbed. I don't expect everyone to be at Rosie's level. But I think Whoopi cares about what affects her and those in her circle. And everything else just annoys her.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 6

The "Death with Dignity" conversation on today's show was excellent. Totally honest and heartfelt and respectful of each other with the right amount of levity. I can't even fathom how that discussion would have gone last season or the season before-- and I'm glad i never had to experience it. Despite some of the little quirks that may annoy some of us in this current panel, the level of discourse has gone up dramatically.

Came here to say the same thing. (you stated it so well) I can only imagine what Sherri and Elizabeth would say about God's will.

I am in awe of this young lady. My husband was incredibly brave in his battle but the level of hope that you have allows one to deal with a death sentence...so Rosie P saying how difficult as a loved one it would be is so true.

I too was so surprised that Whoopi did not give her "we don't know we weren't there" for the pedophile actor. Or at least saying he is being a bonehead.

• Love 4

Got a link to that?  I'm interested in reading it.  As for her being "smart"...(crickets) Mileage varies.

Closest thing - after the fact.

Death with dignity was done well, I understand Rosie with the religious aspect, it would be a mortal sin in Catholicism and even when you're recovered, many of those moral beliefs sort of stay with you since you learned them as such a young person.  While Nicolle was remarking about how little we know and then we are not ready - this is bad but, all I could think of was Sarah Palin screaming DEATH PANELS!  Since planning appointments for end of life decisions were really what "death panels" were - and that was being objected to as they weren't previously covered under Medicare.

• Love 4

Rosie P to Whoopi:  "You sound like a Puerto Rican nun."

Oh, that was beautiful.  Just beautiful. 

Rosie P is 50, not really that much younger than Whoopi.  And Rosie P's life experiences mean that she has been around the block a few times.  So who is Whoopi to talk down to her and feel the need to school her as though she were some silly, blissfully unaware teenager?  How arrogant of Whoopi.  I loved that she didn't get away with it.  Even better that Rosie P had said mentioned earlier that she is a "recovering Catholic", so we know it wasn't a compliment, lol.

• Love 6

It was well done but Whoopi left out an important fact, or at least something I thought was important when she was talking about state laws.  This young woman and her family actually moved from California to Oregon after her prognosis because of Oregon's Death with Dignity law.  

Rosie P to Whoopi:  "You sound like a Puerto Rican nun."

Oh, that was beautiful.  Just beautiful. 

Rosie P is 50, not really that much younger than Whoopi.  And Rosie P's life experiences mean that she has been around the block a few times.  So who is Whoopi to talk down to her and feel the need to school her as though she were some silly, blissfully unaware teenager?  How arrogant of Whoopi.  I loved that she didn't get away with it.  Even better that Rosie P had said mentioned earlier that she is a "recovering Catholic", so we know it wasn't a compliment, lol.

Annie, I think that's how Whoopi talks to all the co-hosts and always has and it is arrogant as hell.   It made more sense when there was a table of morons and Babs but now it really stands out.  I loved that Rosie P answered her too.   

In fact, I couldn't believe Whoopi felt the need to blather on  this topic which was College Students and Sex since 1) she never went away to college and  2) already had a child by age 19.  And what was up with the stories of pregnant teen girls being sent away to have their babies?  Maybe in the 1950s Whoop, but by the time you were  "college age" they had this thing called The Pill.  I'm not sure why 58 year old Whoopi feels the need to act like she's so ancient.  Maybe because she was a grandmother by age 34, ,maybe because she likes to think of herself as a Wise Old Sage as well as a Movie Stah. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7
Even RosieP's Home Goods infomercial was palatable.

Palatable because she wasn't frantic...wasn't intent on making yet another attempt at a "hilarous" comedy bit...masquerading as a commercial.  Why, oh why was the entire audience forced to guess that every price would be "higher" than it really is.  Shills???  We get it, HomeGoods has bargains.  They should have shown things in the under $40 range too.

• Love 4

Today's show, although pre-recorded was very good.  Even RosieP's Home Goods infomercial was palatable.  One thing that I find annoying & very distracting is Whoopi's constant "Uh-Huhs".  I wish there was a way to point it out directly to her, but then she'd probably just do it more to give me the middle finger.  Just saying'.

I recently read the transcripts to a deposition I gave a couple of years ago.  I was absolutely shocked the number of times I said, "uh huh" or "uh uh".  I swear I thought I was answering with yes and no.

To me Rosie is not a bully. I never watched her original Rosie show, but I've been a fan for a while. She cares deeply and passionately about thing and I like that in people. I love when people get angry and want to help others who are being wronged or mistreated. And, I guess that is why I'm pretty meh about Whoopi, I used to really like her before the view. After watching her I thought she came across so self absorbed. I don't expect everyone to be at Rosie's level. But I think Whoopi cares about what affects her and those in her circle. And everything else just annoys her.

I like Rosie, but I think she has the ability to be a bully.  She's the challenging combo of strong personality who can dish it out, but a very sensitive soul who finds it hard to take it.  I think she has an inherent love for children, and I love that she believes children should come first and be a priority - even if they're not her children.  She would have been an amazing child advocate.

I have absolutely no pity for Tom Selleck - whether he was warned or not about being questioned about the NRA.  Rosie is anything but a hypocrite on that subject.  She gave up a lucrative contract with K-Mart when they started selling guns.  Some people have strong beliefs regarding the gun culture in our country.  I cancelled my subscription of JFK Jr.s magazine when I saw an add on teaching little boy scouts how to shoot shotguns, sponsored by the NRA.

In fact, I couldn't believe Whoopi felt the need to blather on  this topic which was College Students and Sex since 1) she never went away to college and  2) already had a child by age 19.  And what was up with the stories of pregnant teen girls being sent away to have their babies?  

I think Whoopi stays permanently out of touch.  Her opinion is fact (in her mind), and her truth is the only truth that matters.

• Love 2

I'm not sure how old Whoopie really is. I just remember years ago she was older than me. Now she's younger. That's why I said that.

Not sure if this clears anything up... but I Googled Whoopi Goldberg daughter age and got this response

In May 1973, when Goldberg was 17, she and Alvin Martin had one daughter, Alexandrea Martin, who also became an actress and producer. Goldberg became a grandmother at the age of 34 when her then-sixteen-year-old daughter gave birth to a daughter, Amarah Skye, on Goldberg's birthday.

• Love 1
I like Rosie, but I think she has the ability to be a bully.  She's the challenging combo of strong personality who can dish it out, but a very sensitive soul who finds it hard to take it.

I agree with this, RedHeadZombie.  Tom Selleck never comes to mind when I consider Rosie's bullying--it's more the people who worked for her or those she considered less powerful.  I wish I could remember a novel someone wrote based (as they say "thinly based") on experiences "working" with her when she took over McCall's magazine.  There were lots of articles about Rosie's heavy-handedness around that time.

Edited by Former Nun

It was well done but Whoopi left out an important fact, or at least something I thought was important when she was talking about state laws.  This young woman and her family actually moved from California to Oregon after her prognosis because of Oregon's Death with Dignity law.  

I did like that she mentioned it was legal in five states; I, too, thought it was only in Oregon (the others are Montana, New Mexico, Vermont and ... Washington?)

Rosie O's reactions about American Horror Story reminded me of her old Rosie show whenever people would come on to promote "Scream" movies or "I Know What You Did Last Summer". She would adamantly say that she would never ever go see them (when Neve Campbell was on, Rosie introduced her as "My next guest is in Scream, which I will never see, but she is also on Party of Five, WHICH I LOVE!). I still remember when Courtney Cox came on to promote the HEAVILY secretive "Scream 2" (they had to rewrite the entire third act because the screenplay got leaked online). Rosie asked her point blank if she died in it because she was never going to see it. Courtney said she couldn't say and then agreed to tell Rosie during the commercial break.

• Love 4

Whoopi and I are the same age -   she has not changed her birthdate. 

It's something I remember, when Celebrities are the same age as me.  And with Whoopi, it stands out because I recall when she had a grandkid while I was stil having kids.  And now she's a great-grandmother, while my youngest kid is just out of college.

Whoopi's  guffaw at girls being virgins in college was stupid.  I think the statistics are probably right.  hey, when they survey college kids, they are surveying ALL ages - including freshmen.  The survey said about 50% of college students are virgins -  that sounds about right.   Yes, SOME kids are losing their virginity earlier, like 12 , but most are waiting.  There is a lot of hysteria about how kids are all screwing each other in junior high -  but that is not the norm.

All current surverys show that  The average age of losing your virginity in the U.S. remains between 17 and 18. It has fluctuated over the decades, but the age has  gone up since the 90's.   So it makes sense that a large number of kids start college as virgins.  Consider also that among low-income, less educated teens, who are less likely to be college students,  the age of losing their virginity is younger. Some statistics can be found here:   http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-ATSRH.html

When I was in college, more than half the girls I was in college with, STARTED college as virgins.   I have two kids, in their 20's, who have both gone away to college - and were virgins when they started (I've been open with them, they were open enough to discuss sex with me) but didn't remain virgins through college.

Whoopi is assuming HER experience is the norm, and it's not.  I remember her talking about her daughter or granddaughter being sexually active at age 14, and Whoopi being Ok with it, because she thought the girl was old enough to decide for herself.  (and this was in the context of the Polanski case)  though some parents accept that kids have sex early, many do not accept it.

(stepping off my soapbox now, this is an issue that I deal with at work)

• Love 8
Whoopi's  guffaw at girls being virgins in college was stupid.  I think the statistics are probably right.  hey, when they survey college kids, they are surveying ALL ages - including freshmen.

Something Whoopi's guffaws will somehow never take into consideration are all those kids who may WANT to lose their virginity but who never get a second look from the opposite or same sex--who can never approach someone to start a conversation that may lead to any intimacy...as little as holding hands.  

• Love 8

Finally got around to watching Friday's show. The discussion about the Oregon lady who has a brain tumor was great. Refreshing to see how heartfelt and sincere all cohosts were about the issue. The discussion on education and teaching children was also great. Rosie Perez so impressed me with her grasp of the need to not just get kids to memorize and learn stuff but to teach them critical thinking skills. I support Common Core standards (’cause it's a step in the right direction) for that reason - it promotes critical thinking and standardizes minimum learning requirements for all US kids , regardless of where they live. I don't know if Rosie went to college but kudos to her - I can just imagine Boston college alum Elizabeth H speaking about the same issue in a disjointed word salad.

• Love 8