Type keyword(s) to search

Mistakes, Bloopers, ETC in the Gilmore Girls

• Start Topic

So, like many of us here, I've been binge watching this on Netflix and I've noticed a couple of mistakes that I hadn't noticed before. For instance, in The Break Up Part Two, Lorelai is talking to Miss Patty and Miss Patty's earring mysteriously appears and disappears throughout the scene:

GG117-00385.jpg

GG117-00394.jpg

And then, in Red Light, there's a sound guy or something behind Lorelai...look just to her right.

GG203-00657.jpg

Anyway, I thought this would be fun, light-hearted topic. So what bloopers and mistakes have you found?

• Love 2

when Lorelai was talking to Rory about  the phone outside in town  about the blue sweater she wanted back (for the 5th time)  and about the internship that Mitchum offered Rory. There is a guy in blue shirt with jacket over his head who walks  around Lorelai twice. I always notice it.

I think this qualifies - the opening scene of the first episode of the sixth season - Luke's response to Lorelai's proposal - takes place a matter of seconds after  the end of the last episode of the fifth. Yet in that time, the décor of the diner  has been changed. The coffee mugs on the wall  near the kitchen are different, for example.

I want to say at the beginning of the fifth or sixth season, I forget which, the episode is supposed to start off right where the prior episode ended.  My guess would be the actor playing Luke changed his hair over the hiatus, so they have Luke in what is obviously a bad wig for a few episodes in order to try and get his hair to match how it looked in the prior season. 

Making my way through the show on Netflix (for the first time, not a rewatch) but there is a HUGE mistake in the credits in S3 E10 "That'll Do, Pig".  In the opening episode credits Marion Ross' name is spelled Marion Rodd.... not kidding. When I saw "Guest Starring Marion Rodd" I thought "Who the fuck is that??" and then of course when the grandmother shows up I realized what I had seen. I went back and watched it again, in case I developed some weird form of dyslexia, but nope: there it was.

I even added it to "Goofs" on IMDB. I'm really stunned that a mistake that blatant, especially with an actor's name, wouldn't have been caught by anyone.

• Love 5

On an episode in season 4, Lorelei and Rory are at the grandmother's for Friday night dinner. Lorelei planned to tell her mom that she's dating Digger, but Emily brings up the thought and laughs. During that conversation, Lorelei's ponytail goes from behind her shoulder, to part way on it, to all in front of her shoulder...changes practically every cut to her. So annoying.

Edited by Betweenyouandme

i wish i could remember the specific episodes, but the show had a consistent sound problem with the entrance/exit bells in both Luke's and Kim's Antiques. They routinely cut off the sound of the bell before it was finished.

also (and again my brain fails me), there's at least one scene where Lauren's hair goes from straight to curly and back again, all in a matter of moments. would if have killed ASP to hire a continuity fairy?

Edited by blackCatCollins
  • Love 2

There are several times when Richard is sitting at his desk writing and puts his pen down. When it turns back to him, he is still writing and talking and puts the pen down again. Never do you see him pick it back up when his back is shown when Lorelai or Emily is talking to him. Also, when Mrs. Kim confronts Lane on her secret stash, the pillows on the bed change position three times.

• Love 1

Something that hit me during Raincoats and Recipes. Fred Applegate's character has his screw driver in his tool belt and when it cuts back from Lorelai, its gone with his hands on the door and then on the next pull back its magically in his hand and some how door pins ended up in the door hinges when they were shown twice not to be there. That was some time lapse.

• Love 1

Sooo, first time poster here. In the middle of my own Netflix rewatch and I had to come on here and mention that there is a scene in "Welcome to the Dollhouse" where Lorelai's top is completely see through. Her entire bra is visible while she is talking to Kirk about the historical name for the street that the Dragonfly is on. The next time we see her talking to Luke in the diner, she has a shirt underneath her "wardrobe malfunction" sweater.

• Love 3

In Lorelai's Graduation Day, right after the titles end, Rory fixes a pot of French press coffee. 

However, she carries the pot over to their water cooler and pours cold water into the pot, then presses it as if it has brewed. It comes out nice and dark brown.

I've never seen one of those plastic water bottle holders serve up boiling water before. LOL

• Love 1

In Lorelai's Graduation Day, right after the titles end, Rory fixes a pot of French press coffee. 

However, she carries the pot over to their water cooler and pours cold water into the pot, then presses it as if it has brewed. It comes out nice and dark brown.

I've never seen one of those plastic water bottle holders serve up boiling water before. LOL

i'm going to agree with takalotti here- every one of those coolers i've ever seen (in person) has both a cold and hot water spout...

• Love 1

I never knew about the boiling water ones, only the room temp and chilled, good to learn something today.

I wonder why Lorelai made tea for Luke with a teakettle in Ins and Outs of Inns. Even weirder, she fills the teakettle from the water cooler.

Perhaps the water in the water cooler (which was bottled, if I recall correctly)  tasted better than the tap water of Stars Hollow. Beverages, especially ones that required steeping,  made from such water would also likely  be more appealing.

• Love 1

Perhaps the water in the water cooler (which was bottled, if I recall correctly)  tasted better than the tap water of Stars Hollow. Beverages, especially ones that required steeping,  made from such water would also likely  be more appealing.

I actually meant that if it were hot enough for coffee, why not hot enough for a cup of tea.

I think Lorelei's maid of honor ensemble for her parents'  wedding belongs in the "Mistakes" category.  : )

Oh, my goodness, yes.  And add to the list that truly awful wedding gown.  With her figure, Lauren could have looked stunning.  That thing was dreadful.

• Love 3

I don't think this is necessarily a mistake, but it's a funny little detail that I noticed. When Logan comes to see Rory at Mia's wedding, and he's waiting by the car, she comes out carrying a piece of cake. He thinks she brought it for him and she says she didn't and eats it while they talk. But what's funny is it's the most miniscule remnant of cake ever. I don't know why I noticed it but it actually distracted me a little from the scene because it was such a sad little piece. Lol. The only thing I can figure is at the end of the scene she says "I almost feel bad for not saving you a bite" and eats the last bite. So I guess they could only give her a tiny bit to eat so she could finish it within the scene. So I get it, but it's still kind of funny to me though.

• Love 2

I don't think this is necessarily a mistake, but it's a funny little detail that I noticed. When Logan comes to see Rory at Mia's wedding, and he's waiting by the car, she comes out carrying a piece of cake. He thinks she brought it for him and she says she didn't and eats it while they talk. But what's funny is it's the most miniscule remnant of cake ever. I don't know why I noticed it but it actually distracted me a little from the scene because it was such a sad little piece. Lol. The only thing I can figure is at the end of the scene she says "I almost feel bad for not saving you a bite" and eats the last bite. So I guess they could only give her a tiny bit to eat so she could finish it within the scene. So I get it, but it's still kind of funny to me though.

I actually noticed this as well! I couldn't help but think "Why is that slice so teeny tiny?!?!" The things we notice....

• Love 1
FictionLover, on 10 Nov 2015 - 3:30 PM, said:

I don't remember which episode in season 1 but a microphone could be seen in the top of the screen.

Perhaps Season 01/Episode 16, "Star Crossed Lovers & Other Strangers"?

Rory and Lorelei are in the kitchen, sitting at the table, discussing the possibility of Rory getting out of Friday night dinner to celebrate her three-month anniversary with Dean. Rory asks Lorelei for the phone to call Emily. Lorelei gets up from the table and walks towards it, and the boom mic can be seen dipping down at the top of the screen.

No, I don't have a unbelievably acute memory of every second of every episode of GG - I just happen to be watching that episode on FreeForm at the moment and saw it!

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 2

I don't know if this was a blooper, or just sloppy writing, or maybe it was intentional, but here's mine:

The episode where Lane gets married, Mrs. Kim gives Lorelei her wedding dress, which she says she wore when she married Mr. Kim 27 years ago. 

Then, she has "the talk," with Lane about how Zack is going to want to "do it," and she's just going to have to do it.  She then tells Lane that maybe if she's lucky, she will only have to do it once, like Mrs. Kim herself did.

Then at some point Lorelei mentions that Lane is 22 years old.

So, did Mrs. Kim wait 5 years to consummate her marriage with Mr. Kim?

• Love 1

In The Break-up, Part 2, Rory gets Lorelai up at 6 a.m. and it's already bright and sunny out. This episode took place in the winter or very early spring and the sun wouldn't rise until at least 7 a.m. at that time of year in Connecticut.

In The Break-up, Part 2, Rory gets Lorelai up at 6 a.m. and it's already bright and sunny out. This episode took place in the winter or very early spring and the sun wouldn't rise until at least 7 a.m. at that time of year in Connecticut.

Well, that sorta depends.

That episode aired on March 15, 2001. Assuming the episode was to take place around roughly the same date (let's say, give or take a couple of weeks), according to this:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=Hartford%2C%20Connecticut;72.7;41.8;-5;1&month=3&year=2001&time_type=1&want_twi_civ=1&want_mrms=1&want_mphase=1&wadj=1

...the sun rose between 5:58 AM (March 1st) and 5:08 AM (March 31st) during that month.  So, the sun being out at 6:00 AM isn't totally implausible.

(edited)

I saw a blooper in Ballrooms and Biscotti this morning that I'd never noticed, and don't think I've ever seen mentioned before.

In the scene where Sookie takes Lorelai to the shed to show her the baby's things, you can see a crew member's hand grab one of the doors and hold onto it after Sookie flings them open. His hand is clearly visible in the lower right corner of the shot.

Edited by FlyingDuchess
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

At the end of Welcome to the Dollhouse, when Richard rings the doorbell to bring back the dollhouse, Lorelai tells Luke her pizza's there, and goes to answer the door only to find Richard standing there with her dollhouse. 

Meanwhile, that episode ends on a cliffhanger and they basically replay this scene at the beginning of 'twenty-one is the loneliest number.'  After they replay that scene of Richard telling Lorelai they have to fix the situation and Richard leaves and Lorelai is exasperated and she turns to Luke and says something to the effect of... 'I'm hungry, I'm going to order a pizza.'  It's driven me crazy every time I've seen it. 

• Love 2

I was listening to the Gilmore Guys podcast ep of Just Like Gwen and Gavin the other day and they pointed out an error I had never noticed before, and don't remember seeing here (though of course I could have missed it).

In Lorelai's rant to Logan....

LOGAN: Look, I know I'm not your favorite person in the world.

LORELAI: No, you're definitely low on the list, right above the guy who thought up smallpox blankets.

LOGAN: Well, in my defense, I think I'm a notch or two higher than that.

LORELAI: You're not exactly in a position to comment on that, are you?

LOGAN: No.

LORELAI: No. In fact, let's take inventory of all the delightful things that have happened since you waltzed into my daughter's life. She was arrested, convicted, she's on probation, she'll have a criminal record unless we can get it expunged, she dropped out of school, moved out of my house, she didn't speak to me for five months, three weeks, and sixteen days. No, wait a minute. Come to think of it, you are my favorite person.

....they were laughing over the poor math skills of the writers, in having her say five months, three weeks, and sixteen days when it should have been six months, one week and two days.

1 hour ago, eledgy said:

five months, three weeks, and sixteen days when it should have been six months, one week and two days.

Now I'm confused. Wasn't it just  under five months? Rory flounced out of Stars Hollow in mid May, didn't she? Other than the brief and bitter exchange at the side of the highway, the two spoke again in October at her 21st birthday party. That was  held on or around October 8th.

.they were laughing over the poor math skills of the writers, in having her say five months, three weeks, and sixteen days when it should have been six months, one week and two days.

I excused that with a Lorelai being Lorelai. Just like when she said the clothes she bought for Luke were "600 thousand percent off."

As for this 

Now I'm confused. Wasn't it just  under five months? Rory flounced out of Stars Hollow in mid May, didn't she? Other than the brief and bitter exchange at the side of the highway, the two spoke again in October at her 21st birthday party. That was  held on or around October 8th.

The writers' math skills were never in check. I think because they are filming so far in advance they could keep things straight. 

Also when Lorelai goes back in the diner in Season Seven, Babette said she's been gone 9, 10 months but it's been more like a year.

I know Lorelai had only a nodding acquaintance with arithmetic reality. That was clear throughout the series.  I was puzzled by the assertion that the time frame was  in fact "six months, one week..." - which was even further from the truth. Or was the latter timeframe given for the Great Schism  simply a joke that went over my head?

In season 2 episode 3, when Lorelai, Rory and Max are at lukes someone sets down 3 red coffee cups but a couple seconds later they are drinking out of blue coffee cups, then it switches back to red 

• Love 1

This is my favorite from the series because I half-expected the damned thing to sprout a flag, dance a jig and then begin reciting poetry, it was so distracting to me.  

In early season five, I'm sorry I no longer recall the episode title, there is an episode where Marty attempts to tell Rory he likes her, as they study on his bed because she's the most obtuse person in the world when it comes to spotting that on her own.   There are a couple of pillows in the scene which is supposed to be on Marty's bed in his door room. There's a pillow from Rory's dorm room set in amongst the collected pillows on Marty's bed.  Okay, okay, probably most people won't notice, it's not a permanent set and really, the set dressers weren't wrong in believing that most people will not stare fixedly at a pillow in a scene where romantic declarations are trying to happen.  That should have worked as a theory, but sadly one of the other pillows then does everything short of tap-dancing as the scene cuts back and forth between Rory and Marty, that pillow ends up on a lap, behind a head, in the background.  That fucking thing cruises throughout the scene in those cut-aways without benefit of anyone actually touching it.  It just magically rotates around in this relatively tiny frame and upstages the hell out of the poor actors for me.   It is a bizarrely dynamic pillow, calling attention to all things pillowy and then it becomes impossible to fail to notice: Hey, that other pillow is from Rory's....couch? It's a fairly distinctive pillow.  You have an entire prop room, you could have grabbed a generic pillow?  I got the feeling that Rory's dorm room set was all of six feet away from where they were shooting.  Again, normally fine, it just called a lot of attention to the artifice of the moment.  

I know that is actually just evidence of an overpacked shooting schedule because it is a glaring continuity error that I am positive they must have spotted in dailies because that pillow?  Has fur on it.  That's why I was watching the daft in the first place.  

• Love 7

Richard forgets who his secretary is:

S2/E20 "Help Wanted"

This is the episode which focuses on Richard starting up his new business. Part of the story is Richard being forced to hire a new secretary, because his secretary at his old firm declined his offer to work for him at his new business. According to Emily, "[Margie] has been [Richard's] secretary since [Lorelai] was a child."

After engaging Lorelai to assist him in setting up his new office and interviewing potential secretaries (none of whom can live up to Margie, in Richard's view), at the end of the episode Richard finally hires Karen; one of the applicants who Lorelai helped Richard to interview. Both Richard and Emily seem impressed with Karen's competence and experience.

Fast forward to S5/E7 "You Jump, I Jump, Jack"

Although this episode primarily focuses on Rory's introduction to the Life and Death Brigade, it is also the episode in which the relationship between Lorelai and Luke comes under closer scrutiny by Emily and Richard. Under the pretense of wanting to get to know Luke better, Richard calls Luke to invite him to play golf at the club.

Richard ends the phone call telling Luke "I'll have Margie call you back with the details."

Does Dean have a motorcycle, or not?

S1/E7 "Kiss and Tell"

This is the episode in which Lorelai invites Dean over to the house for "movie night." When Rory is out of the room, Lorelai takes the opportunity to give Dean the "mom talk" on how she expects Dean to treat her daughter. Lorelai runs down a list of rules, one of which is "She's not going on your motorcycle."
Dean responds "I don't have a motorcycle."

Ah ha! But is he lying to Lorelai?

Because....

S1/E15 "Christopher Returns"

Rory introduces Christopher to Dean at the softball game. They talk about motorcycles:

CHRISTOPHER: No I had some time so I rode my bike out from Berkley.
DEAN: Really? What do you got?
RORY: [proudly] It’s a 2000 Indian.
DEAN: I got an ’86 Suzuki.

Maybe Dean didn't lie to Lorelai. Perhaps ASP forgot the conversation Dean had with Lorelai just a few episodes earlier....in the same way they forgot by Season 5 that Margie had been long gone as Richard's secretary since Season 2!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Richard ends the phone call telling Luke "I'll have Margie call you back with the details."

Not to be nitpickier, but this was after Richard agreed to bring his company back under the umbrella of Floyd's company where Margie worked to avoid the lawsuit.  Richard left Jason the secretaries and the office and took the clients.  I always thought Margie just went back to working for Richard.

• Love 1