Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk

• Start Topic

Honestly, the only one of these I can recall in the last 7 seasons or so is a bus ride from Iqique to Santiago in TAR23 (someone may provide another example I'm sure, it's just all I can think of currently).

That season later featured an overnight ferry from the Norwegian wilderness to the country's third largest city before flying on to the Polish Baltic coast, albeit during a TBC.

The same form of transport with similar staggered times also occurred during Seasons 21 (Barcelona to Mallorca) and 25 (Aberdeen to Shetland).

More statistics . . . here are the final TAR27 leg averages:

3.33 Kelsey & Joey

2.08 Justin & Diana (second-best average among second-place finishers (Eric & Jeremy, 1.75))

4.44 Logan & Chris (tied for fifth-worst among third-place finishers (Ray & Yolanda, Brent & Caite, Mona & Beth))

5.27 Tiffany & Krista (tied for second-worst among fourth-place finishers (Nick & Vicki))

4.30 Denise & James Earl

I think the legacy of this season is Justin, Justin, Justin, and Justin. Oh, and Justin. I wish we got a better sense as to who Diana was, but that's the package we got. I figure a parallel can be made with TAR6, in the sense that nicer teams wound up biting the dust early. I don't mean TMZ . . . they would made an average season worse if they outran the Cheerleaders.

ETA: What about TAR25? The two races tied in terms of strengths of the final three teams. You had overachievers (Misti & Jim/Justin & Diana), the steady performers (Adam & Bethany/Kelsey & Joey) and overwhelmed wild cards (Amy & Maya/Logan & Chris). Or am I putting too much focus on stats in general?

Just watched Season 1 episode 1 for the first time. It seemed so much more real than the recent seasons. It had much more of a documentary feel and less of a game show feel than the current episodes.

I just watched it too for the first time. There's more human drama, more footage of the teams participating in the tasks, less irritating MTV editing, and a quieter, less bombastic score that makes recent TAR seasons hard for me to watch (I'd rather watch them on my tablet). There is more information about money and how much downtime they get between legs. Also it sounds like Phil is having trouble maintaining an American accent. 

• Love 2

Eh, Shola & Doyin, Mary & Peach, and Chris & Alex are no slouches in that department.

Well, I'll take Arianne and Jill and Talicia and Heather and Eve. And yes, even Flo (the three second shot of her in her underwear got my attention). Season two does have some fabulous looking men like Shola and Doyin and Oswald and Danny and Blake. Oh my, Paige has a great smile. The double-bun hair was so popular back then. 

• Love 1

Anyways, there's really no denying the worst finales of recent memory would be season 24 and probably 22.  Though I will agree season 16 kind of sucked based on the outcome and that the finish was based on the plane seating.

I wouldn't rank Seasons 24 or 22 as among the worst finales.  24 would be there smack dab in the middle of 'eh' for me, and I actually enjoyed 22's final quite a bit.  I do agree about Season 16's, though; the outcome spoils it completely.

For me, the best season finales would be 2, 1 and 5.  The worst would be the season that Freddy and Kendra beat Kris and Jon due to a train crossing, and the abominable Family edition finale since I loathed the team who won.

I guess this would be the best place for this post as I don't see a "Comparative Seasons" thread.  Anyone want to play a round of "Rank the gimmick seasons"?  Just rank how much you like/hate the various gimmicks added to Amazing Race seasons, and how the gimmick affected your enjoyment of that season.

1. Unfinished Business - I largely liked who they asked back, and even the team I didn't like I understood why they asked them back (Margie and Luke).
  2. All Stars 1 - It was exciting to see the first All Stars for this franchise, even if teams you hated were returning.  But even my least favorite team was preferable to the thrown together team of Eric and Danielle.  Knocks it down a peg.
  3. Social Media Stars (Subject to change) - As has been said in the episode thread, most of these teams are unknown, and thus it feels like an average Amazing Race season.
  4. All Stars 2 - I support All Stars in concept, but three teams who were in Unfinished Business AND their original seasons?  Really?  That was too much, evening liking the Cowboys and the Globetrotters but enough of them. There were other teams I would have liked better in their spots.
  5. All Dating Couples - Icky concept. No blind date couples actually had chemistry. And if they did, so what?  If we wanted to watch The Bachelor, we'd be watching The Bachelor. NEVER DO THIS AGAIN, SHOW! 
  6. Family Edition - Certainly the worst. Including the kids meant that you couldn't really design a race to put the teams through the wringer. And of course the teams with kids mostly went out in the first half, and so it left teams of adults riding around interminably in campers doing tasks a kid could do.  However there were elements of this race I wouldn't mind them trying again with some tweaking.  Such as racing in America.  Why not have a season where instead of sending Americans around the world, send a mix of foreign and American teams racing around North America?  Or a season where every team is a familial relationship. But only two members, and each of age. I'd support those tweaks, but I fear that the stench of the Family Edition would dissuade them from going anywhere near there again.

In case you didn't see the link on the Media thread. . . CBS.com put out a list of "25 Most Favorite Amazing Race Teams of All Time." I plan on going over the list on my blog, because there are some questionable choices and omissions. Minimum. I would have put it the Frats, Chas, Ken & Gerard, Clowns, Chip & Kim, and Kris & Jon. Is there anybody else I should slide in there? Also, "Most Favorite"? Is CBS.com run by Dinobots?

In case you didn't see the link on the Media thread. . . CBS.com put out a list of "25 Most Favorite Amazing Race Teams of All Time." I plan on going over the list on my blog, because there are some questionable choices and omissions. Minimum. I would have put it the Frats, Chas, Ken & Gerard, Clowns, Chip & Kim, and Kris & Jon. Is there anybody else I should slide in there? Also, "Most Favorite"? Is CBS.com run by Dinobots?

The Clowns??? ; -)

Seeing as the winners of Season 26: BDE made it - in other words, a canon recognition of a non-returnee gimmick - the Gaghan Family should've been on instead of the Spangler siblings.

I really like Rob and Brennan, but I don't know if they were a favorite team at the time because I did not see season 1 in real time and actually read Miss Alli's TWoP recaps long before I saw the season. So my view of them was colored by her and by the two of them having posted (I think) in the TWoP threads and reports of them at TARcon. And because I saw the season that way, I also liked Team Guido in spite of myself. If I'd seen the season first, I probably wouldn't have. (I'd still like them lots better than some people who did make the list, though.)

• Love 1

I'm up to 20 (Nick/Starr) on the list, and I opened up nine slots. I'm willing to listen to suggestions for snubbed teams to add . . . in addition to the six teams I mentioned, I'm also considering Derek & Drew, JVJ and the Afghanimals (they did finish fourth twice like Oswald & Danny).

ETA: I'm done. I'm open to any criticisms on my blog. I honestly don't get that much with my work.

(edited)

Now I see that all of the episodes are on Amazon Prime. I just watched the first season; which other ones do you recommend I watch?

So how did you find Fukui San's and my suggestions? :)

Edited by Supay

Actually, I was just talking about the gimmick seasons only in my post. If you want to just talk which season of all of them would you want to watch first, no question in my mind it's season 5.  Choose a side: Colin or Mirna!

• Love 1

I really haven't had time to delve into them. Ugh,real life and too much good TeeVeeeee! I plan on checking them out shortly and will let you know. Thanks for the suggestions!

You're welcome! :D

Actually, I was just talking about the gimmick seasons only in my post. If you want to just talk which season of all of them would you want to watch first, no question in my mind it's season 5.  Choose a side: Colin or Mirna!

Um, I already clarified that point in my original post:

Amongst the non-gimmick seasons, the near-universally praised ones include the following: 3, 5, 12, 17, and 25, i.e. two old-school, two middle-TAR, and one contemporary.

Doyin Richards from Season 2 (of Shola and Doyin, the first identical twins to run the race), is on a Microsoft 10 commercial with his two adorable daughters.  Doesn't appear to have aged at all.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:53 AM, Lantern7 said:

Chip and Kim were probably one of my favorite teams to have won.  So I guess I am biased about them not being on the list. 

As much as I hate to admit this, I do not remember a lot of those teams.  Especially the more recent teams (Which is odd because they were on...more recently).  I guess many of them were unforgettable to me.

I really need to see seasons two and three.  The first episode of TAR that I ever saw was the last episode of season three and I was hooked.  But I never did get a chance to see the entire third season or any of the second season (I bought season one on DVD).

On 5/4/2016 at 10:12 AM, meep.meep said:

Doyin Richards from Season 2 (of Shola and Doyin, the first identical twins to run the race), is on a Microsoft 10 commercial with his two adorable daughters.  Doesn't appear to have aged at all.

On 5/4/2016 at 0:34 PM, Jobiska said:

Doyin also has an active Facebook page which I enjoy following.

He also came into prominence two years ago for defending himself and his family against e-bigots:

http://gawker.com/hes-definitely-on-team-great-dad-but-team-grown-ass-ma-1498804432

• Love 1

Right? Gosh, it would've been fantastic to see TAR air concurrently with the earliest seasons of MTV's Real World...oh, wait, Road Rules! ;)

Was there any other things that bugged with Hayden & Aaron? My rage for that season is rooted in Kendra's racism, Adam's wimpiness, Rebecca's shrewish ways, and fucking Jonathan Baker. When you find out that Lori & Bolo tried to get better seats on a flight by claiming Bolo was mentally ill, and you don't loathe them for that, you know this is a sucky season.

• Love 1

I've been binge-watching this show on Amazon and I'm up to Season 22. I notice that as the seasons go on, it seems like you need some kind of schtick to be on. Twins, YouTube sensations, Hillbillies (loved Mark and Bopper), Chippendales dancers, Big Brother/Survivor contestants... I get that they need the entertainment factor, but it just starts feeling fake somehow.

I couldn't stand Nadiya and Natalie (C'mon, Twinnie!!). Ugh.

• Love 5

It definitely was a transition period that started maybe around season 15, and was in full effect by season 19 or so, that every team needs a label to make them 'more easily identifiable' to viewers. Don't worry, it's still going to get worse. They will start to get identified by hashtags soon

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

It's funny because as horrible as Flo was to Zach I actually liked her. I loved that season. Especially, John Vito & Jill and O'Brother (Ken & Gerard). The show was so good then and the race was suspenseful. My favorite part was when Flo & Zach were on the ferry with the bikes ad Flo was telling the brothers they had to go back to get the bikes (or, something like that). The teams worked together a lot back then. Great season but I didn't realize how horrible Flo was until people mentioned it. LOL!!!!

Flo just had a horrible attitude, unlike other racers who were horrible to others (like the certain husband of a Playboy model) or were horrible to entire countries (like Kendra)

• Love 1

Anyone remember Nick Spangler (Nick and Starr), winner of Season 13?  I went to see the national touring production of American in Paris last weekend and Nick played Henri, one of the male leads.  I thought he was excellent in the role.  Surprisingly good. 

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2016 at 11:29 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

I'm almost done with Season 26. Between the blind date angle, the stupid selfies and hashtags and the fitbit crap, this may be my least fave season.

Were you able to find time afterwards to watch Season 28, a.k.a. Social Media Edition? ;)

Edited by Kanaloa

My three all-time favorite teams were, like many of you, Chip & Kim, as well as the Globetrotters and, finally, Gus and Hera, who caught my attention at the get-go of their season because they are VERY local to me. I've seen several folks reference them in this thread, so thought I'd share this news, giving them at least a tiny bit of closure in an unimaginable tragedy: http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/joaquin-rams-found-guilty-in-2012-murder-of-15-month-old-son/431029497

• Love 2

Good for Hera. I hope she gets the money from the clinic that deemed her ex safe for their child to be around. No parent should have to bury their child and no amount of money will make up for that, but I imagine that everything about this case has been incredibly disruptive to her life and money will give her a chance to rebuild.

• Love 4